Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I can't remember what it was being advertised, but whoever it was used the rebellious song 'Fortunate Son' in a patriotic sense.

Then there was the Busch Beer commercial that used the extremely depressing song 'Can'tcha see?' by the Marshall Tucker Band.(I think I'm gonna find me a hole in a wall. I'm gonna crawl inside & die.)😬

Then there was the planters peanut commercial where Mr. Peanut somehow gains entry to the occupied cab of a tractor-trailer while in motion and offers the driver a sealed can of nuts. You don't see the process of it being opened... but how long would that actually take requiring both hands off the steering wheel at highway speed?🥴

• Love 1

You know that Pepperidge Farms cookie commercial where the mom pretends to be the dad when the kids knock at the  bathroom door? She is sitting on the floor, eating cookies and there is a bath tub behind her filled with toys. The tag line is "You gave them your bathroom, you don't have to share your cookies" or something?  Why if the mom can't get into the bath tub because it's filled with toys, is she naked wearing just a towel?

25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You know that Pepperidge Farms cookie commercial where the mom pretends to be the dad when the kids knock at the  bathroom door? She is sitting on the floor, eating cookies and there is a bath tub behind her filled with toys. The tag line is "You gave them your bathroom, you don't have to share your cookies" or something?  Why if the mom can't get into the bath tub because it's filled with toys, is she naked wearing just a towel?

So she doesn't get cookie crumbs on her clothes?  LOL

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why if the mom can't get into the bath tub because it's filled with toys, is she naked wearing just a towel?

It's so everyone will think she's taking a bath.  She wrapped herself in the towel before she went into the bathroom.  If she'd gone in with clothes on, the family would know she was up to something.

But yeah, dumb commercial.  Just hide in a closet like I used to do.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, mmecorday said:

And the people receiving the pizzas act like they're getting a check from Publisher's Clearing House. It's just Domino's Pizza!

And, based on how the website describes the program, what you see in the commercial isn’t quite accurate. If there’s a problem, you’re supposed to go to your online confirmation page and report it. From there you have two options. One, you can get a 20% coupon off your next order. Or you can join their reward club to get 60 points that you can redeem for free pizza. So no one is showing up out of the blue completely replacing your order. And it really is a lame program. If you mess up my order, you really should be replacing it for free that night. Or bringing me the sauces or the salad or whatever you forgot to bring the first time. That’s just decent customer service.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 11/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, mmecorday said:

And the people receiving the pizzas act like they're getting a check from Publisher's Clearing House. It's just Domino's Pizza!

I always wondered why they're showing up with the replacement pizza unannounced.  What if they just ate lunch or had other plans?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I always wondered why they're showing up with the replacement pizza unannounced.  What if they just ate lunch or had other plans?

I wondered about that as well. Of course, that isn't really the way it works. From the Dominos website:

How Does Domino’s Delivery Insurance Program Work?

Domino’s Delivery Insurance Program has you covered whether you order online, by phone, via the Domino’s app, or using Domino’s AnyWare. If your delivery experience is not what you expected or you receive the wrong order, report the issue on the Domino’s Tracker® page, your order confirmation page, or through your order confirmation email. Tell us what went wrong, then choose from one of two options: either a coupon for 20% off your next order or 60 Piece of the Pie Rewards® points. To receive the points, you must be a member of the Domino’s Piece of the Pie Rewards program — so if you’re not already a member just enroll within seven days of the date of your order to receive your 60 points and redeem them within the next 30 days for a free pizza from Domino’s. Domino’s makes it easy to make it right.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, tanyak said:

No worries! It definitely makes sense just to post the actual policy. 

Yep, the policy that shows that the ads, with their oh-so-surprised customers, are totally misleading. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 2

There's a commercial for a birth control pill called Lolo. At the beginning of the commercial, a young couple is in bed and an alarm is going off on the bedside table. The guy starts nuzzling the girl's neck and the alarm is turned off and flipped over so you know some morning sex is about to commence. (The girl seems to be wearing socks -- so sexy!) Then supposedly after the act, they are both fully clothed and the girl is on her phone. Is she bragging to everyone on Facebook that she just had hot morning sex? Or was it so boring that she told her boyfriend, "Hun, hurry up. I gotta check Twitter."

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I don't know if there's a TV version of this one yet, but keep hearing commercial for Amazon (or maybe it's Ebay) on the radio that confounds me. There are several versions, but someone is talking about something and then says "... and then the ___ of the ___ snaps me back to realty.", followed by them finding a bargain for said item on Amazon/Ebay. One in particular has the "... and then the Song of the South snaps me back to reality", which makes no sense at all.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:30 AM, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for a birth control pill called Lolo. At the beginning of the commercial, a young couple is in bed and an alarm is going off on the bedside table. The guy starts nuzzling the girl's neck and the alarm is turned off and flipped over so you know some morning sex is about to commence. (The girl seems to be wearing socks -- so sexy!) Then supposedly after the act, they are both fully clothed and the girl is on her phone. Is she bragging to everyone on Facebook that she just had hot morning sex? Or was it so boring that she told her boyfriend, "Hun, hurry up. I gotta check Twitter."

She's posting the mid-coitus selfie she just took. 

• LOL 5
On 11/5/2019 at 3:32 PM, proserpina65 said:

And it tastes nothing like butter, and doesn't work like butter in a lot of recipes.

If it's the ulcerative colitis commercials, I find the one with the girlfriend annoying.  Her boyfriend has a medical condition, and she's all bothered by how it inconveniences her.  So what if he has to go to the bathroom during a party?  That happens to most people.  and her parents can meet him some other time.

Idk, it doesn't sound like a lot depending on how many months of premiums you've paid, but $2500 is a lot of money to me, and would probably help a lot for expenses when my mother dies.  Not that she has Colonial Penn or anything like that, but I'm not turning down any pay outs from whatever life insurance she does have.

I doubt it.  Alex wouldn't want it to end, and I'm sure the producers have a plan.  And I wouldn't stop watching, because for me it's not about the host.  It's about making the contestants look stupid from my couch.  (I say that as someone who lost on Jeopardy.)

Is  that per unit price though? Like each unit would be $2500 for every $9.95 you added a month.

Back in the early 80's, I think, there was a commercial that opened with an overhead view of a downtown street at night.  Then the view switched to a view from a camera that was apparently set on the sidewalk.  One gleaming car after another would pull up and a woman in fancy high heels would get out and walk off.  I thought, "Oh, they're selling shoes." I've never been able to walk in a shoe that had higher than a two inch heel, and even those were uncomfortable, so I'd stop watching.  I don't know how much time it took before I realized the commercial was selling the tires all those expensive cars were driving on.

• LOL 4

The holiday commercial for TJ Maxx or Marshalls starts in grays with people in a street full of shops.  The pitch guy comes along to lead them all to the main store.  Along the way, the street regains color all decorated for the holidays.  I wonder about all those stores, they look like interesting local stores (a bookstore!) or are they a typical open air mall?

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Does anyone really refer to their dermatologist as "my derm"?

I don't even call any of my doctors my doc, so definitely not me.  In real life, I hear some people say "gyno" - and the long O bugs me, because it's not gynocologist, it's gynecologist - but that's it for abbreviations. 

And in all my years of dealing with it in my mom, I have never once heard metastatic breast cancer referred to as "MBC" like in some drug commercial.  Nor have I ever heard a real person say "LBL" (light bladder leakage) to describe peeing herself a little when she coughs, sneezes, sleeps, whatever.

5 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

This is a bizarre commercial, that’s for sure.

She was "one tough mother" (from its commercials) who took over Columbia Sportswear after her husband's death, and, along with her son, grew it into a huge national brand.  There were a series of commercials where she tested the toughness of their products by putting the son through all sorts of extreme shenanigans.

She remained chairperson until her death, at age 95, earlier this month.  She even kept signing paychecks until a few years ago. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I don't even call any of my doctors my doc, so definitely not me.  In real life, I hear some people say "gyno" - and the long O bugs me, because it's not gynocologist, it's gynecologist - but that's it for abbreviations. 

And in all my years of dealing with it in my mom, I have never once heard metastatic breast cancer referred to as "MBC" like in some drug commercial.  Nor have I ever heard a real person say "LBL" (light bladder leakage) to describe peeing herself a little when she coughs, sneezes, sleeps, whatever.

She was "one tough mother" (from its commercials) who took over Columbia Sportswear after her husband's death, and, along with her son, grew it into a huge national brand.  There were a series of commercials where she tested the toughness of their products by putting the son through all sorts of extreme shenanigans.

She remained chairperson until her death, at age 95, earlier this month.  She even kept signing paychecks until a few years ago. 

Oh I know that, but just thought the commercial was bizarre. That’s all.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

In real life, I hear some people say "gyno" - and the long O bugs me, because it's not gynocologist, it's gynecologist - but that's it for abbreviations. 

I used to call mine "My GYNOB" (pronouned Guy-Knob) instead of OB-GYN, because I figured that as a woman, I'd need the GYN part of the job long before I needed the OB part.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't even call any of my doctors my doc, so definitely not me.

I'll call them Doc, especially if I've been seeing them a while, but recently, I started seeing a PA (Physician Assistant) for my primary care, and I have no idea what to call her.

There's an ad for some senior aide service and one of the women giving a testamonial says "one girl thought I was her grandmother. I really think she did".   So this company thinks it's a good idea to put on an ad that make it sound like their employees that are caring for senior citizens have lost touch with reality?  Ok then.  

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for some laxative/stool softener. In a voice over a woman says, "Constipation is everywhere. You just need to know where to look for it." Why would anyone be looking for constipation?!?

If looking for it helped me avoid it, I would, but since it doesn't, I'm with you.

• Love 5

I know this ad has been mentioned before, and please forgive me if I'm repeating what has already been said, but it came on tonight while I'm prepping for my company Thanksgiving potluck tomorrow, and I swear I heard, "and I'm done with masturbating."

LOLOLOLOL Happy Holidays Y'all!!!!

Edited by Ashforth
  • LOL 9
On 8/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, sempervivum said:

I was watching a 1965 episode of (original) Perry Mason, where he's doing something in Germany, and there's a big billboard for Persil next to the West Berlin airport. Never would have registered on me if I hadn't been following this discussion!

I lived in France 1959-1965, and so the first time I saw a Persil commercial here, I was happy for the blast from the past. My first thought was, “Well, finally made it across the pond.”  

• Love 2
On 9/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, spiderpig said:

I hesitate to bring this up even among you guys, but have any of you see a late-night legal spot offering representation for people suffering effects from some drug which resulted in genital gangrene?

I had no idea such a condition exists, and I'm sympathetic to those who suffer, but geez.  Right while I'm enjoying my midnight snack.

Yes, and it has damaged me emotionally, so I’ll be suing. 😉. But where I live, it’s on all times of the day. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

T-Mobile commercial with couple at airport, the board shows everything is cancelled so they use their phones to rent a car.  Presuming that they are sitting in front of a departure board, wouldn't the fact that every single flight has been cancelled indicate that it is probably weather related?  If flights are being cancelled it would stand to reason that road travel would not be a safe option either.

And, if they are flying in the first place it seems to indicate that either the distance to the location is too far or they couldn't take the time to drive there or both?

• Love 5

Not necessarily. Bad weather elsewhere can cancel flights because the planes that are supposed to come in can’t leave from other airports. And I don’t drive when I can fly. Even if it’s not that far. I’ve road tripped enough in my lifetime.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There's a commercial for some kinda of frozen chicken product that takes place at a country fair being presented at a booth by a barker holding a plate (one package,  I assume). A woman passes by a he passes her the plate and takes it and walks offscreen. Did he intend for her to take the plate piled with chicken?  What's she going to do with an uncovered plate at a county fair? Is she going to eat it all? Is he giving out samples or selling it?

On 11/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, Gramto6 said:

WOW! I haven't seen that one. So the lady died? What is with the guy under the ice with a straw to breathe????? 

I didn't see that memorial commercial in question,  but she made her son perform extreme testing of their outerwear.  I remember one in which he was strapped to the front of a semi truck driving in bad weather. 

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2019 at 8:03 PM, dleighg said:

I'm really wondering why a cruise ship line is using a drug-inspired song to advertise. I guess I'm just old? Or old enough to know what the song was about? One or the other. Or both.

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/jefferson-airplane-on-a-cruise-ship-lucky-generals-gets-psychedelic-for-celebrity-cruises/

Is Carnival the same line that used to use “Lust for Life”? Also extremely weird. 

• Love 1
On 11/25/2019 at 6:07 PM, Ashforth said:

I swear I heard, "and I'm done with masturbating."

Funny!  I swear I heard "I'm down with hesitating" like he wasn't going to pressure her to do anything she wasn't ready for.  

There's a real strange commercial for Bob Evan's side dishes.   Alphonso Ribeiro and Jerry O'Connell bump into each other at the grocery store.  They both apparently like to cook from scratch, but after sampling some Bob Evans mashed potatoes from an extra-Midwestern sample lady, they start piling up their carts with the sides.  Sample lady is not please with this because, as she tells them, there are more in the refrigerated section.   The commercial ends with Alphonso and Jerry being kicked out of the store by a female security guard who guffaws "it happens every time".     Like, what happens every time?   A customer tries a sample and...actually wants to buy a product?    Nd that's bad?  Bad enough to get you kicked out.  They were being doofusses but they weren't stealing anything just putting it in their cart.   So dumb.  

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Maverick said:

There's a real strange commercial for Bob Evan's side dishes.   Alphonso Ribeiro and Jerry O'Connell bump into each other at the grocery store.  They both apparently like to cook from scratch, but after sampling some Bob Evans mashed potatoes from an extra-Midwestern sample lady, they start piling up their carts with the sides.  Sample lady is not please with this because, as she tells them, there are more in the refrigerated section.   The commercial ends with Alphonso and Jerry being kicked out of the store by a female security guard who guffaws "it happens every time".     Like, what happens every time?   A customer tries a sample and...actually wants to buy a product?    Nd that's bad?  Bad enough to get you kicked out.  They were being doofusses but they weren't stealing anything just putting it in their cart.   So dumb.  

They kept wanting more samples, rather than buying, which is why the sample lady says you can buy them.

• Love 2

I don't get that Bob Evan's side dish commercial either.  I mean, I get the whole eating samples, then getting kicked out for it things, but is there some significance to Alfonso and the other guy?  I can't stand the way the sample lady talks.  It's like she's trying to hard to do a Midwestern accent.

There's a commercial going around for Paco Rabanne  Red. I never pay strict attention to commercials and for the longest time I thought it was called Rent. which makes sense. I mean what young lady wouldn't love to go out with a guy who smelled like he would pay her rent?

• LOL 5