Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

So they can't find their way around the mall because they're more suited to a life in the outdoors? 

I'm thinking that if you get lost in the mall, you probably aren't going to last very long in the outdoors.

But I admit I'm never paying full attention to that commercial because I'm always wondering whether the lady in that commercial is also the lady in this commercial.

Yes, it is the same lady.

• Love 5

Yeah, that commercial doesn't make any sense.  Because first of all, they don't seem to enjoy the outdoors, and secondly, are they associating khakis with dullness?  Are they boring people because they buy khakis?  I see where they're going with that, I guess, but I associate khakis with safari wear, so enjoying the outdoors and wearing khakis aren't disparate ways of life.  But I also don't even know that they do buy khakis because the someone in the mall announces that there's a couple lost.  So they can't find their way around the mall because they're more suited to a life in the outdoors? 

No matter how you look at it the commercial makes no sense.

But I admit I'm never paying full attention to that commercial because I'm always wondering whether the lady in that commercial is also the lady in this commercial.

Yes.http://www.ispot.tv/topic/actor-actress/uS/cyrina-fiallo

• Love 2

Well, they didn't look like outdoorsy types...

Is the outdoors the point, or being bold enough to go set up camp on somebody's land without permission? What was the intent of their drive? They seemed ill-prepared for camping, but if they were on a shopping trip, why did they have sleeping bags?

• Love 1

secondly, are they associating khakis with dullness?  Are they boring people because they buy khakis?  I see where they're going with that, I guess, but I associate khakis with safari wear, so enjoying the outdoors and wearing khakis aren't disparate ways of life.  But I also don't even know that they do buy khakis because the someone in the mall announces that there's a couple lost.  So they can't find their way around the mall because they're more suited to a life in the outdoors? 

1) Khakis are usually associated with middle-management soul-sucking white collar jobs. 

2) I think they're supposed to be "spiritually lost" or "in need of finding themselves", not actually physically lost in the mall.

I don't understand the KFC commercial with the Colonel in bed with his wife. Is he having a bad dream ? What is the meaning of him looking at the wedding picture of his wife and himself ?

They keep swapping out actors playing Colonel Sanders, so I think he was trying to check to see which one he was.

• Love 7

I don't understand the KFC commercial with the Colonel in bed with his wife. Is he having a bad dream ? What is the meaning of him looking at the wedding picture of his wife and himself ?

If my memory serves me, the actor in the picture in that commercial isn't the actor in the bed.

• Love 1

Someone mentioned "Puppymonkeybaby" upthread. I saw it for the first time today. Clearly the end times are upon us; Satan's minions are delivering energy drinks to us in our living rooms. Seriously, it's like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 12

I didn't see the ad yet, but I have to assume they are poking fun at them occasionally changing the actor who plays Colonel Sanders. I'm starting to like this campaign.

Someone mentioned "Puppymonkeybaby" upthread. I saw it for the first time today. Clearly the end times are upon us; Satan's minions are delivering energy drinks to us in our living rooms. Seriously, it's like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Gah! I saw it too!

• Love 1

Why would anyone drink that swill anywhere?

Because it's cheap. Around here, they sell Bud light by the ton (or maybe the keg). So many people here were buying three tall boys every day, so they started packaging them that way. God it's so popular here it's not even funny. But it is swill.

I didn't see the ad yet, but I have to assume they are poking fun at them occasionally changing the actor who plays Colonel Sanders. I'm starting to like this campaign.

Me too!  So far we've had Darrell Hammond, Norm MacDonald and Jim Gaffigan.  I hope we get a woman next.  Amy Poehler?  Tina Fey?  How about Betty White?

• Love 9

Because it's cheap. Around here, they sell Bud light by the ton (or maybe the keg). So many people here were buying three tall boys every day, so they started packaging them that way. God it's so popular here it's not even funny. But it is swill.

Okay, I'll buy that.  But still, the fake Bud margaritas . . . why, oh dog, why?!?!?!

So now Angie promises that members of her LIST are guaranteed a fair price and good service. Does this mean that all along she and her contractors have been engaged in general fuckery of the public at large?

• Love 6

So now Angie promises that members of her LIST are guaranteed a fair price and good service. Does this mean that all along she and her contractors have been engaged in general fuckery of the public at large?

Hmmm.  That makes me wonder TOO.

• Love 3

If that thing burst into my living room I wouldn't be sitting still for it to give me a lapdance and lick my face, I'd flip the couch over between it and me as cover and grab for a hockey stick or butcher knife to kill it with.

• Love 11

Her voice makes me feel like I have a raging hangover, even if I haven't touched a drop.

• Love 2

If that thing burst into my living room I wouldn't be sitting still for it to give me a lapdance and lick my face, I'd flip the couch over between it and me as cover and grab for a hockey stick or butcher knife to kill it with.

Uh oh. PETA's going to be after you. But yeah, that commercial creeps me out. 

I can't watch the Prius commercials without thinking about an incident that happened almost a year ago.  Neighbors on the next street parked their Prius in the garage, the battery overheated and burned the house to the ground.  The people were about 30 seconds away from dying before they could be rescued.  It was horrible.

How tragic. I hadn't heard about that. Glad the family was okay

• Love 2

Staple's computer guarantee, where they promise to work on your laptop and then return it next day. Fine, except they seem to be positioning it as an alternative to your company's IT department. What company is going to allow an employee to take a work-issued laptop to Staples for servicing?? Every place I've ever worked password-protects its laptops--I can't even download iTunes. I guess it makes sense for a very small business. But the ad I saw has a woman bypassing IT (the guy sits across from her) because she doesn't want to fill out a help-desk ticket. And the office looks to be a decent size.

Good luck with Staples gaining access to your laptop, lady. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 6

I think it means some have and she's trying to head off a bad reputation that'll sink her company.

• Love 4

Yeah, that's what I took away from it. Pay to be on her list and you'll get a fair price and good service. Otherwise, you'll pay more and get less.

• Love 1

Putting aside the fact that I pretty much never wanted to think of Potato Heads being anthropomorphic:

why in the bluedilly fuck would I need to be thinking of Potato Head children walking in on their cannibal parents?

It could be worse. The mom potato head could have been eating French fries. I'll show myself out.

• Love 6

Speaking of head-scratcher car ads, I see they're playing the one with the couple deciding whether to suffer in the wilderness or at the mall and choose the wilderness. Why?

The demographic the ad is aimed at is , I'm guessing, either already interested in outside activities or dissatisfied-with-their-life- folks. So showing how dullKhakiLand is compared to the "exciting" lifestyle of skunks, bears and potentially bad interactions with strangers is prime. So live an "exciting" life of paying for this vehicle over X amount of months ( exciting!!) even though many of the buyers probably won't go past the suburbs. They can if they want/need to, so there!

I live in a city; there are so many Hummers rolling through and out into the 'burbs. I am fairly certain 95% do not haul anything heavier than either a band instrument or groceries.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

Okay, you know the Amazon Echo commercial with Alec Baldwin being awakened after a night of partying with Jason Schwartzman? Jason says something like "we were bad boys," only now in the commercial I'm seeing he says "we were rapscallions." Why the change? I've seen the new version at least twice, so I know I'm not imagining it.

Probably someone is implying they will sue over 'bad boys'.  BLERG!

• Love 1

I live in a city; there are so many Hummers rolling through and out into the 'burbs. I am fairly certain 95% do not haul anything heavier than either a band instrument or groceries.

They also transport kids to soccer and expensive mountain bikes around, but mostly I found their purpose was to park on the side of the street and close to an intersection, thereby blocking the view of oncoming traffic if you happen to not drive an SUV or truck.

Signed...

Very Bitter Volvo Stationwagon Owner

• Love 9

They also transport kids to soccer and expensive mountain bikes around, but mostly I found their purpose was to park on the side of the street and close to an intersection, thereby blocking the view of oncoming traffic if you happen to not drive an SUV or truck.

Signed...

Very Bitter Volvo Stationwagon Owner

I have an SUV and can't see around them either. They're butt ugly, too. Fortunately, they don't seem to be very popular around here anymore.
  • Love 1

Can't stand Hummers but for me it's their mpg that makes me see red.

Oh, and how they look poised to run right over anything in their way.

They finally stopped making them in 2010 and you can partially blame Arnold S. for the civilian models.

From the Wiki:

"The civilian model began in part because of the persistence of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who saw an Army convoy while filming a movie."

Gee, thanks Arnold.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

I don't think I've seen the updated version, but "rapscallions" is funnier than "bad boys" anyway.

One time I saw a Hummer with snowboards on a roof rack.  I wondered what the inside of the enormous Hummer was so full of that made them unable to put their snowboards inside.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3

I agree in theory but I think the point is more like "if we screwed it up we'll make it right". If it were cold or over or undercooked, you get a replacement free, that might be desireable. If you don't like their pepperoni, but otherwise it's ok, maybe next time you get just cheese, or mushrooms and that's tolerable as a replacement. Sure if you hate the pizza and just think it's crap: crust, sauce cheese and all, you wouldn't want another, free or not. But there are enough ways you could "not like it" that offering a free replacement could potentially win someone back. Plus or minus the goodwill you theoretically earn by sounding like you want to "make it right".

Of course, Papa John himself is an evil asshole who doesn't actually care about humans, so of course nobody should take these ads as an implication he's some kind of caring, ethical person. But that is what he's trying to convince us of by having such a policy.

• Love 6

Of course, Papa John himself is an evil asshole who doesn't actually care about humans, so of course nobody should take these ads as an implication he's some kind of caring, ethical person. But that is what he's trying to convince us of by having such a policy.

Why do you say this ?

• Love 1

A Papa John’s pizza franchise in New York has been ordered to pay almost $800,000 in back pay to workers it cheated out of wages. The court found that for more than six years, the franchisee “Emstar Pizza Inc,” which operates seven restaurants, rounded each employee’s hours down to the nearest full hour, cheating hundreds of employees out of their full pay, as well as underreporting hours worked and not paying overtime.

One of the reasons is this.  He also only provides healthcare (mandatory) to one-third of his employees.

• Love 9

Forgive me if this commercial has been mentioned before, but this eHarmony ad has me all messed up. There's a waitress who sees a guy and mumbles something about his smile, and then Dr. Neil Creep Warren is at another table and asks if she's tried eHarmony. Her response is "Oh, no, I'm not religious at all!"

How exactly does that have anything to do with it? It's not like it's JDate or Christian Mingle. Whatever the response is was just a dismissive spiel for the latest promotion. I've been wondering about it for days now.

• Love 2