Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Given the number of men I know who have hand cream and a box of tissues near their beds, I think it's pretty manly.  Oh wait, maybe it's not their hands they are worried about! 

So you're saying that Shaq has been Shaq-ing off?

• Love 6

I see that Shaquille O’Neal now wants me to "Man up with Gold Bond (hand cream)." Yeah, because there's nothing more manly than hand cream.

For African Americans (both men and women), you do not want to look "ashy". (Dry skin is a lot more apparent for black people.)

So guys do use hand creams, lotions, Vaseline (old school) etc.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5

Could someone explain the Geico commercial with the weight lifters. Please and thanks

Apparently it's called the "brocabulary" ad. I think it's just a joke on dude culture-type stuff, where they call each other "bro" and other assorted ridiculous nicknames (broham, etc.).

Not sure if there's a deeper meaning beyond it, but that's my take. :)

PS I love it.

PPS HILARIOUS. And you can buy t-shirts.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2

Why is the one guy getting visibly more muscular but the other guy isn't?

I wondered about that myself. I guess it's because the one beefing up is the one who keeps bro-ing.

No one should be rewarded for that many awful puns.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

There's another Geico ad featuring some explorers trying to reach the south pole but give up when they see Dora the Explorer. Since the narration at the beginning said they were all crazed out of their mind, that means they were hallucinating, right?

• Love 1
Why is the one guy getting visibly more muscular but the other guy isn't?

I wondered about that myself. I guess it's because the one beefing up is the one who keeps bro-ing.

No one should be rewarded for that many awful puns.

Thank you!  I didn't understand this either.  Also why is one guy so dang dark while the other isn't? 

I HATE these new Geico commercials!  "If your _________ it's what you do; if you want to save $$ on car insurance you switch to Geico.  It's what you do."  What the FLIP has any of that got to do with car insurance?  Why do I need to see the band Europe putting on a show in the break room while someone is warming their lunch???  WHAT?

• Love 2

What the FLIP has any of that got to do with car insurance?

I think that's the point. A WTF factor makes the ad, and more to the point, the company, more memorable. For something like insurance, people lean towards companies they've heard of.

• Love 1

Thank you!  I didn't understand this either.  Also why is one guy so dang dark while the other isn't? 

I HATE these new Geico commercials!  "If your _________ it's what you do; if you want to save $$ on car insurance you switch to Geico.  It's what you do."  What the FLIP has any of that got to do with car insurance?  Why do I need to see the band Europe putting on a show in the break room while someone is warming their lunch???  WHAT?

Sorry, I still love that ad. It's silly and fun.

• Love 7

Denny's is running an ad wih the line "Pancakes and eggs, bacon and sausage, coffee and O.J. and a killer price?" Did they not realize that people are going to associate their breakfasts with a double-murder now, at least subconsciously?

• Love 11
Sorry, I still love that ad. It's silly and fun.

This weekend, for reasons known only to them, someone in my neighborhood within earshot of my backyard played The Final Countdown on a loop for about half an hour.  I had a friend over, and asked her if I was the only one thinking of the Geico commercial.  She said no, she found herself wondering what on earth they could be microwaving to take so long.

Other than Peter Pan, I love pretty much all the "It's what you do" Geico commercials. 

• Love 8

Other than Peter Pan, I love pretty much all the "It's what you do" Geico commercials. 

I'm not a big fan of the Peter Pan one either, but the DEATH GLARE he gets from the two older people when he tells the woman she "doesn't look a day over 70" is always entertaining, lol.

• Love 2

I don't really know where to post this.

Does anyone else wish Papa John had called his "brookie" a "crownie?"

I'll take any kind of hybrid brownie! But DirecTV already defined a crownie as a cupcake/brownie. Which reminds me I really need to try to make some, because yum! I know you're supposed to laugh at Tony Romo, but all I think when I see that is "That looks really good!"

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

If the "settling" family is supposed to be Amish, its silly to think they'd have even heard of cable, much less DIRECTV. They would certainly not be living in a modern neighborhood. So what's the pitch, that the Amish don't want DIRECTV?

The ad is supposed to be making a play on the word "settlers", so it should have been more Little House on the Prairie than Amish.

• Love 4

Can someone explain the VW commercial to me? It's the one with the dad and two kids who had a super fun day. I feel like I'm missing something because his wife (or ex-wife?) called, he ignored it, took the kids out all day then brought home milk?

• Love 2

Can someone explain the VW commercial to me? It's the one with the dad and two kids who had a super fun day. I feel like I'm missing something because his wife (or ex-wife?) called, he ignored it, took the kids out all day then brought home milk?

They needed to use the song "Beth" by Kiss.

Beth, I hear you calling/but I can't come home right now.

Me and the boys are playing/and we just can't find the sound.

Just a few more hours/and I'll be right home to you.

I think I hear them calling/Oh, Beth, what can I do?

Near as I can tell, this was the best scenario they could think of.  Which says to me, after the emissions-faking disaster, VW has hired a team of idiots to do their advertising.

• Love 10

An earlier response of mine to this commercial.:

Okay I rather liked this commercial when it reached the end. In today's world, your husband takes two young boys for the whole day for some father son bonding. The whole day. Leaving the wife to enjoy some alone time to do whatever she wants. Sleep late, take a long bath, read, talk with her friends, binge watch a show that only she likes. Hey maybe even shave the legs for the thank you sex for giving her a day of relaxation. I also must admit in today's world couples are to connected. You use to be able to go to work and other places for escape, but now if you are dumb enough to have a video chat program on your phone. Your better half can have constant contact with you 24/7. So I do not find it strange that a person would ignore some calls or texts from a wife or girlfriend. In summary, don't ruin the "bro buzz!"

• Love 4

I'm confused about the Walgreens Carpe Med Diem (STFU! That doesn't even make sense - seize the med day?) ads with the two women who are apparently having a dual mid-life crisis. In the first one, they go skinny dipping together. From the looks they were giving each other (and the fact I'd never strip off in front of my best friend) I assumed they were lesbians, which is fine.

In the second ad they dye their hair purple for a reunion dance of some sort. They arrive with two men but dance with each other. WTF?

• Love 2

I am not a beer drinker, but I have been told by those who do like it that Bud Lite is not very good (they were s little more vulgar in their description). So I have to wonder what the heck they were thinking when they came up with this commercial:

http://theshrug.com/this-banned-beer-commercial-is-hilarious-and-i-cant-stop-laughing/

I think it's hilarious, esp. the one buttoned-up lady who keeps getting grossed out by her increasingly naked coworker. Laughed at the delivery man walking into a wall looking at the topless receptionist. I think the average viewer will just laugh at the commercial and not worry about how the actual beer tastes.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3

I'm confused about the Walgreens Carpe Med Diem (STFU! That doesn't even make sense - seize the med day?) ads with the two women who are apparently having a dual mid-life crisis. In the first one, they go skinny dipping together. From the looks they were giving each other (and the fact I'd never strip off in front of my best friend) I assumed they were lesbians, which is fine.

In the second ad they dye their hair purple for a reunion dance of some sort. They arrive with two men but dance with each other. WTF?

I didn't get a lesbian vibe from either ad.  In the first one, they went to a nude beach, and I interpreted the look as "omg, this is crazy, are we really going to do this?", and as for the second ad, lots of women dance to fast songs in pairs/groups, not just at reunions, but (speaking from personal experience) company holiday parties among other functions, especially if they're married to men who don't dance.  Now, if they'd been slow dancing, that would've been a whole 'nother matter.

• Love 4

I think this ad has been discussed before, but in the one for fruit cups in which the one claims she can drink the liquid instead of draining it, why does the woman feel the need to drain it instead of letting the syrup drip off what she spears with her fork?

• Love 2

I think this ad has been discussed before, but in the one for fruit cups in which the one claims she can drink the liquid instead of draining it, why does the woman feel the need to drain it instead of letting the syrup drip off what she spears with her fork?

Maybe she wants to drain it and mix the remaining fruit with cottage cheese? Just guessing.

Give it to me I'm worth it, uh uh I'm worth it.  Give it to me I'm worth it  aaaarrrrrggghhhhh where's the ice cream?  My skull is ready!

GAWD!  This woman/teenager chanting makes me want to upchuck.  Give me chocolate and I'll give you something-something?  YUCK.

• Love 2

"I'm Worth It" is sung by the girl group Fifth Harmony, who were contestants on the US version of the X Factor.  The song reached number nine on the US charts and number 3 on the UK charts.

Their album Reflections reached number 5 on the US album chart.

The Dove soap commercial, where they give women "spa treatments"  and then reveal that the treatment was actually Dove soap. 

And one woman says "my skin FEELS so RADIANT!" 

Really?   Skin can look radiant, but how can your face FEEL radiant?

• Love 7