Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

I know during the Pandemic, the Emmys did a smaller venue with guests seated at tables.  This year, bigger venue but also seated at tables.  New?  Pre-pandemic, weren’t they in a theater or auditorium with regular seating?  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

I know during the Pandemic, the Emmys did a smaller venue with guests seated at tables.  This year, bigger venue but also seated at tables.  New?  Pre-pandemic, weren’t they in a theater or auditorium with regular seating?  

Yes, it used to be at a theater/auditorium. I think they had this set up last year as well (after the outdoor, socially distanced one in 2020).

• Useful 1

And... it's Ted Lasso again.  I enjoyed the second season well enough, but it wasn't the strongest one here, IMO.  But I'm guessing voters are really just responding to its peppy optimism and feel good attitude in these particular times.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I guess Abbot Elementary is my cilantro - I get that a lot of people really like it but it didn’t really click with me. So I’m good with Ted Lasso winning, although I can think of at least a couple other shows that I would have liked to see in the running (Ghosts, Resident Alien).

• Like 3
13 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Seriously bummed for Rhea Seehorn.  At least Ozark's done, so maybe she'll have a better shot next year.

By then, Better Call Saul won't have been on for almost a year.  (Ozark finished its final season 5 months ago.)

13 hours ago, kittykat said:

Yeah unfortunately the show is a year removed at this point so it's probably lost most of its momentum especially with recent seasons of Saul and Stranger Things dominating press.  I'm calling Adam Scott as the dark horse in the lead actor race.

Same issue.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
Just now, wallflower75 said:

Why do I feel so underwhelmed?  I LIKE Succession, I really do!

I think some were hoping for a Squid Game win for the historic part of it - first non-English speaking show, somewhat of an underdog compared to Succession, etc. Or even a dark horse, critical darling like Severance coming out of nowhere. Succession winning does feel a bit like keeping the status quo.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Whoops.  I guess the censors missed that one.  

They clearly weren't thinking it'd happen during a scripted bit. 

31 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Ted Lasso gets directing?  Yeah, I don't agree with that: especially against Barry and Only Murders in the Building.  Well, I guess it's winning Comedy again.

I agree.  Even if I Have doubts about Barry as a comedy (this season was more dramatic), some of the directing is amazing.

28 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I feel like it is almost all the same winners as last year. Makes it really boring.

I regret spending time with it.  I don't mind a repeat or two but yeah, most of the winners felt like repeats. 

4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess Abbot Elementary is my cilantro - I get that a lot of people really like it but it didn’t really click with me.

I think Quintana's story is a lot of fun but I'm the same way with Abbott.  Even though it's a new show, it does the mockumentary style which doesn't feel fresh.

That said, I was thrilled for Sheryl Lee Ralph.  She's the best part about that show.

• Love 2

Glad I mostly skipped the Emmy’s because I have an irrational hatred of HBO and HBO shows seem to get nominated in like every category in like half the spots and seem to win.   So glad I mostly skipped it because my shows never win. 

Betty White,  Nichelle Nichols, Bob Saget, AND Dean Stockwell

It feels like my childhood has died this year.

• Love 5

I ended up recording it and watching in jumps because the staging and format was so bad: with some nominees announced and then awarded and some announced then a poorly done bit and then finally awarded at which point I forgot category it was.   Then just hate watching the In Memorium for the truly awful directorial decision to highlight a darkened room rather than the actual people being memorialized.  happy for all the winners, but the actual awards show was a disaster.

• Applause 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Who’s the non Laverne red carpet host? She’s very natural. Her interviews are fun to watch in comparison to Laverne just squealing I love you, you’re gorgeous at whoever is there. 

5 hours ago, Thumper said:

I agree with you.  She was relaxed and fun.  Can’t remember her name, but her initials were LL.

Did not care for the cone breasts on Laverne’s dress.

That was Loni Love. Glad to see what she's up to now that her co-hosting gig,  "The Real," has ended.

• Love 1

Kenan was atrocious from start to finish.  He didn't make me laugh once.  Who was the guy at the bar who had his head down?  A dance number as a show opener?  Even worse than Rob Lowe and Snow White.  Followed by Oprah riffing off stats and data?  And that announcer...really bad.  I DVR'd and watched it in an hour this morning.  There were some high points though.  I have watched Sheryl Lee Ralph winning at least three times.  It was pure TV magic.  That is staying on my DVR.  Jennifer Coolidge runs a close second, followed by Quinta, Jean Smart, Zendaya, the guy from Squid Game, Jessie Armstrong, Mike White, Matthew McFadyen.  Many shining moments, awful hosting and announcing, weird runway.  I have another question:  Why was Jonathon Groff there?

Edited by sugarbaker design

What a bunch of crap. Announcer girl was sooo amateurish and Kenan was surprisingly bad.

Ted Lasso is not funny, and White Lotus was a chore to finish.

Happy for Amanda.  She was excellent.

Ghosts is the funniest show on TV right now and it didn't even get nominated.

John Oliver is funny, but not every year funny.

Amazing Race should win the competition show every year.  The production required on that show is ridiculous and nothing comes close.

Didn't these morons learn from the Oscars that we want to see the names and pictures of those that passed?  I don't give a shit about John Legend, sorry.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Disappointed that Only Murders in the Building and Severance got shut out.  I know Ted Lasso is an industry darling, but come on…

So happy for Jean Smart, Quinta Brunson and Sheryl Lee Ralph.  ❤️❤️

The In Memorium section was better than the Oscars, but it’s a very low bar.  They seem to place a greater value on the person singing than the people they are supposed to be honoring and that’s a real shame.  

• Love 5

Either some completely slept through last year's ceremony and only remember 2020's ceremony, but aside from the Ted Lasso and Jean Smart's wins, this was in no way a repeat of last year.

First of all, The Crown dominated the drama categories, which naturally was not back this year because a new season hasn't been released.

And half of the shows nominated this year were either not back in production with new seasons (Euphoria, Barry, Stranger Things, Succession, etc.) or were relatively new (Abbott Elementary, Severance, Squid Game, etc.) 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1

I'm happy Ted Lasso won. I like Abbot Elementary and Only Murders and would have been fine with either of those winning but Ted Lasso is the only one where I have rewatched the episodes. Also this is only the second season they aren't exactly Modern Family in terms of repeating.

• Love 5

I had to bow out halfway through last due to plans but caught up this morning.

I'm fine with Ted Lasso winning since I just binged it and especially Brett with the repeat. Personally I was hoping Steve Martin and Only Murders in the Building would be the top dogs but I'm good.  

As far as repeats, there's always been repeats.  It's been a little more diversified in the last few years but I remember the same damn people winning in the 90s and 00s back to back to back. With regards to Jason, Jean and Brett I can't argue they're all so damn good.

Sad Severance got completely shut out.  I thought of anything it would snag writing but Jesse Armstrong's streak continues.

Huge hooray for Squid Game grabbing directing and Lee Jung-Jae proving me wrong.  I suspect Lee and Jason might have benefitted from vote splitting between the two Succession and OMitB stars.

Adding White Lotus and Abbott Elementary on the watchlist.  I'll get to Better Call Saul once the whole show is available.  I did that with Breaking Bad and those shows I think benefit better on a binge.

• Like 1

Some more thoughts:

I think it's time the show move to streaming and language filters be lifted. It was awkward to have so many instances where sound gets dropped.  Or curses missed.  And then so many "bitches" used because that's not a no-no word. 

I was sad to read the Squid Game actor has a history of assault.  Took away the fun uniqueness of his win (although I haven't seen the show).

Seth Meyers is not a person who should tan.  It just looked wrong to see his normally paler NY skin try to LA it up.

Jimmy Kimmel does not know when to end a joke.  When Quinta told him he could get up now, he should have gotten up.  Instead, she had to maneuver around him in a skirt (which thankfully was long).

Keenan wasn't as good as he could have been.   I don't mind a subdued hosting job but then maybe don't waste time on a lame production number in the beginning.   Just do subdued yet efficient. 

The announcer didn't flow, unfortunately.  I don't appreciate the trend to get announcers with personality.   No.  Just read the names, correctly, and announce what's coming up.

I guess Oscar nominated actors are given more time for an acceptance speech?  Michael Keaton probably went a minute or two with no orchestra while others were cut off immediately. 

Props to Jarrod Carmichael for keeping it short and sweet. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Kenan was atrocious from start to finish.  He didn't make me laugh once.  Who was the guy at the bar who had his head down?  

Kel Mitchell from Good Burger.  Kenan's former partner.  The guy he came up with.

Kenan made me laugh a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess Oscar nominated actors are given more time for an acceptance speech?  Michael Keaton probably went a minute or two with no orchestra while others were cut off immediately. 

It was like Oprah and Michael Keaton took up so much time for the first award, that they had to severely ration the remainder of the show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, carrier76 said:

Sheryl Lee Ralph singing was so overwrought and corny.

Well, I guess I'm not completely alone at my cynical table.  I heard a reviewer describe it as, the highlight of the night, if not of Emmy history (paraphrasing).  To be fair, I'm not familiar with her other work or I might be looking it in a more favorable light, but when she burst out into song, I thought, oh, all that shell-shocked demeanor leading up to it was part of the act!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I posted it last night as well re Shery Lee singing. It was ridiculous. I’m happy for her, it’s great to see people get recognition but the OTT self indulgent I’ve just made history and changed the world reaction followed by yet another meaningless standing ovation from Hollywood just showed the whole thing for as fake and bullshitty as it was.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The announcer didn't flow, unfortunately.  I don't appreciate the trend to get announcers with personality.   No.  Just read the names, correctly, and announce what's coming up.

She was awful.  Yelled her announcing bits like she'd attended the Oprah school of voice-projecting, interjected too much of herself into the segues (when she called the two guys zaddies and said look at these two, they're the kind I would have had a crush on before coming out as gay or something like that -- not funny in the slightest and if the situation had been a guy saying that, OMG),  mispronouncing names (that was literally her only job was to announce people), a total amateur who was painful to hear.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

meaningless standing ovation from Hollywood just showed the whole thing for as fake and bullshitty as it was.

I found myself standing at home.  I don't really love Abbott Elementary (she's the best thing about it, though.)  She was theatrical.  A bit OTT.  Her singing was on point. 

Some people get moved by a well thrown football.  But give me a powerful voice and a well-delivered speech, even if it's full of platitudes, I'm moved by the performance.

I get why people weren't moved or inspired but it doesn't make those of who were fake.  Plus, this is someone who has been around for decades and well-liked from what I can tell. I'm sure there was some fakeness but I'd bet money there was actual joy in that room as well.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I guess I'm not completely alone at my cynical table.  I heard a reviewer describe it as, the highlight of the night, if not of Emmy history (paraphrasing). 

I just heard that on PCHH on NPR.  And I agree! Because I'm a long time fan.  I saw her on Broadway in the original production of Dreamgirls in 1981.  I've followed her for over 30 years on TV through It's A Living, Designing Women and many more.  This is SLR's first major award.  To some it's a big fucking deal.

Just now, sugarbaker design said:
Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Jimmy Kimmel does not know when to end a joke.  When Quinta told him he could get up now, he should have gotten up.  Instead, she had to maneuver around him in a skirt (which thankfully was long).

I kept waiting for the "punch line" but it never came. I thought she'd start talking and he'd jump up or something. As he'd get a real reaction as supposedly she didn't know she won. But instead he just laid there?

I wasn't planning on watching but was doing laundry and it was good thing to have on in the background. 

I liked the Kell cameo, that was cool :). I also liked them dancing to the different show themes :). I thought Kenan did a good  job actually. 

The outfits were out there as usual this year. The one girl had a large curtain as a dress. At first I thought it was part of a joke but then I realized that was her actual outfit.

• Love 1

Emmys Hits All-Time Audience Low Opposite Most-Watched MNF Since '09
By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 13 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/09/13/ratings-emmys-2022-audience-nbc/

After ceasing a seven-year audience slide in 2021, this Monday’s telecast of TV’s biggest night drew just 5.9 million total viewers to NBC, down 24 percent from last time around to mark an all-time low.

In the demo, Monday night’s show pulled a 1.1 rating, down sharply from last year’s 1.8.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1