Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I agree. That's why I didn't see the Skinnygirl summit as an exercise in Bethenny taking Sonja under her wing and mentoring her so much as Bethenny kind of showing off. I think if Bethenny really cared about Sonja, she would give her some hard truths about the people she surrounded herself with, and apparently gave lots of money to in the building of the so-called Sonja Morgan Collection. Ironically, that's what Heather did (and the others, including Josh, a branding and marketing professional), but they get called out as unsupportive, and Bethenny gets praise as a real friend and a true professional.

I truly wonder when Sonja will have her come-to-Jesus moment. The default judgment and bankruptcy proceedings are sure taking awhile!

I look at it this way it costs Bethenny exactly ZERO dollars to invite Sonja to a meeting and insures Betehnny will get screen time as will her "partners" and their brands.  Josh was just silly and mean to Sonja-he was essentially telling her to spend $30,000.00 to have someone brand her. Sonja knows that with the right amount of money  she could have been branded.

• Love 2

The problem I have with Beth acting like she is so above all of this Reality TV bullshit is that this is the format that made her a (somewhat) household name. There is no way that Skinnygirl would have been the brand it is if she'd never been on the show (she has acknowledged that herself) and certainly even if folks knew the brand, they wouldn't have had a clue who was behind it if she had never darkened our TV's.

She understood the opportunity for what it was and rode it hard. She is still the shining star in the RH franchise when it comes to making the most of an opportunity. She achieved what all the others want, yet she doesn't seem to recognize this or feel at all generous. She wants to be on the show to continue to rehab her image and sell her stuff, but she wants to mock the format and only play when she wants to play. She will be involved in the conversations she wants to be involved with and nothing more. For that she seems to want to be awarded some type of Profile in Courage award. If she doesn't want to talk about something or too someone, she will make that choice. Sounds great except the very definition of her job is to interact with people she might not like. 

Walking away from Kristen was just mean. IMO, engaging her, even if she disagreed with her and went all "motherfucker" on has ass would have been less mean. She understands what this is about. She needs to engage with people to allow them to take part in the show. What she did was to shut Kristen down and to make it impossible for her to tell her side of the story. The thing is, once upon a time Beth was the outsider on a show filled with married, successful women. She was to an extent looked down upon by Lu and Ramona. They didn't always treat her so nice. They mostly stroked her hair and let her know she was not on the same level as they were. But what they did was to engage with her. She also took part in shit that she probably didn't want to take part in. Anyone believe she really wanted to haul her cookies to Brooklyn to visit Alex and Simon in their sad house? She did it because that was part of the show and she wanted to be on camera. She did all the stuff back then that she is mocking now, but for some she is a hero because she won't put up with this "reality tv" bit.  Well, guess what? She is on a reality TV show. She got her chance and she took it and ran with it. It is beyond depressing to me to see that she seems to work so hard to dismiss it now, acting like it is all beneath her. I am surprised so many are letting her get away with it.

I am also surprised to hear her snark with Ramona about how fake Heather is. What the fuck is Beth talking about? With the exception of a spell during S3, when was Ramona particularly nice to her? Didn't she deliver some of the harshest (and yes, true) words ever spoken from one HW to another? Haven't they both admitted that they have had no relationship in the 3 or so years since Beth left the show? Yet now, they are friends and it is all supposed to be real and meaningful? Are we to believe that Beth doesn't think that Ramona is suddenly trying to get close to Beth because that is much better than being against Beth? Bitch, please. 

• Love 21

I hate to mention the new blood I'm noticing around here, considering we've been discussing tampon strings and things.  But I have to give a shout out to the newbies on the board!  You bishes are funny and there's a lot of ya.

If you've got 75 posts and under, HOLLA!

• Love 14

What in the hell is wrong with Carole?  I really liked her before she became the Zippo lighter girl and decided that her new role this season would be that of a firestarter.  The Googling of Ramoaner's friend/partner/near-roastee, then dropping the "Bethenny said" bomb on Kristen, which sent her on her unfortunate way. 

Thank God for Dorinda.  In my opinion, which I admit is probably reflective of how insanely annoyed I am that I ever started watching this show, she's really the only one doing our gender much justice lately.  The others aren't doing much except reminding me why a good guy friend is worth his weight in gold.   How sad is that?  I'm shocked at myself.   I am fortunate to be able to say that I don't know anyone personally who acts like that, THANK GOD.  I did from about 6th through 10th grade, though. 

• Love 7

I think the difference between Heather and Bethenny intros is Bethenny's intros partnered with her and produced product for her.  Heather's folks although helpful weren't about money they were about image.  That may be what Sonja meant about sharing sources. 

The difference is, IMO, Bethenny is pandering to and using Sonja to sell/promote her own SG products, whereas Heather really took Sonja serious and made it all about Sonja and her "brand"/toaster oven, not YT products. Heather, at that point, believed in Sonja, Bethenny does not. JMO

• Love 16

There's nothing unique in the RH series about Bethenny walking away from a conversation she didn't want to have.  It's been done by other HWs on this and every other franchise I have watched. We have also seen refusals to talk to other HWs, walking away, starting shit, not starting shit, blah blah. It's not new and not noteworthy.

You're so right!

We've seen it on every one of the HW's franchises and probably why we watch. Conflict and drama are what make the HWs interesting. These women aren't being paid to sit around and sing Kumbaya.

• Love 6

You're so right!

We've seen it on every one of the HW's franchises and probably why we watch. Conflict and drama are what make the HWs interesting. These women aren't being paid to sit around and sing Kumbaya.

I try to leave conversations that are going to make me mad. K was not ignored, she was invited to sit down. Once she began, everyone including vampires knew what was coming. Why break down again so people can call me overwrought and crazy? Very few good options here. YMMV.

No insult or dimissiveness meant toward those who disagree.

• Love 10

Re Carole's grammatical error: The "between you and I" is pretty egregious for anyone who is literate. Yeah, not all writers are good at grammar. For the most part, such writers have some special knowledge and need editors to clean up their prose. Good writers are not so bad at all that. So is Carole a writer? Perhaps, but maybe a bad writer. I don't know anybody who says "between you and I." Yeah, I'm a copy editor and so I am more attuned to these things, but I am also a published fiction writer. "Between you and I" is just a screech on my ears. Sorry. (Also sorry that I have not yet mastered the quoting thing. I will learn.)

• Love 6
(edited)

That was my reaction when first viewing too.  But it's still cruel & thoughtless.  Sorry, but it is. 

I think they (B & K) cancel each other out. It was every bit as callous & thoughtless of Kristin to use Bethenny purely as a fluffer to secure Kristin desperately needed camera-fucking time  (and all to discuss the bitchy bullshit Princess Carole brought into the mix, purely to "move things along"). I think Kristin got exactly what she deserved.  She was hoping to use and attack and corner Bethenny -- and get a big camera moment out of it -- and instead, Bethenny smelled the fake-stink on the woman and walked away. (One of the few smart things Frankel has done this season, imo.)  If you're trying to set someone up for an on camera dressing down and they foil you, it's hard to claim victim status, since your intentions were hardly noble.

ETA:

I mean, seriously, can anyone imagine treating a co-worker this way?  Yes, it was unbelievably rude & nasty & just downright thoughtless & cruel.  In most work environments this behavior (of Bethenny's) would simply NOT be tolerated.

Not sure you can fairly single Bethenny out as an exception (which it sounds like you're doing -- if not,  ignore the rest of this comment!) since none of these people have behavior that would be tolerated in the workplace -- who, Heather? ("You don't want the doughnuts? Have the bagel instead -- not a bagel? Then eat the croissant! No croissant? Then take the CRONUT OR  YOU WILL EAT NOTHING IN THIS STAFF ROOM!") Or Carole with the gossipy whining ("Hey, before we get to the Peterson file? Bethenny said you were dumb!") or Ramona (actually, Moaner is almost sane this season so far -- save me Jesus from the reality that has brought me to typing that last sentence). Maybe Sonja (with her shirt dress half open, bra showing as she frantically dry humps one coworker after another) or Luann!  Luann,  who last night had the salesmanship of a busted-broke Willy Loman  -- no shoeshine, no smile -- just stumbling over her words as if English were her fifteenth language, so insincere was her intent, so mangled her delivery. 

If we're using workplace rules here, they're all wearing a pink slip under their designer dress.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 18

So, where was Ramona picking up Avery?  Doesn't she go to Emory in Georgia?  Didn't we have a whole big scene with Ro and Mario dropping her off at the airport last season?  That was not an airport in the scene.  It kind of looked like Penn Station which I can't imagine Ro having her daughter take a train from the airport in 'real' life.  A part of me doesn't like that I pick up on this stuff but I got the feeling that once again, it was another 'reenacted' scene.

• Love 2

The problem I have with Beth acting like she is so above all of this Reality TV bullshit is that this is the format that made her a (somewhat) household name.........She understood the opportunity for what it was and rode it hard. She is still the shining star in the RH franchise when it comes to making the most of an opportunity. She achieved what all the others want, yet she doesn't seem to recognize this or feel at all generous. She wants to be on the show to continue to rehab her image and sell her stuff, but she wants to mock the format and only play when she wants to play. She will be involved in the conversations she wants to be involved with and nothing more. For that she seems to want to be awarded some type of Profile in Courage award. If she doesn't want to talk about something or too someone, she will make that choice. Sounds great except the very definition of her job is to interact with people she might not like.

I'm going to treat you like Brian Moylan and say I loved your whole blog, er, post, but especially this paragraph referencing Bethenny's Profile in Courage award. Here's something I remember from a few years ago: Bethenny was a guest on WWHL, and Andy asked her her opinion on the new HoWives - Carole, Heather, and Aviva. I remember her saying that Carole seemed a little aloof and above it all, and needs to keep in mind that she's a HoWife collecting the same reality tv show check like the rest of them. I distinctly remember it because I thought Bethenny sounded a little threatened by Carole's hip, NY single-girl-in-the-city vibe that Bethenny used to own on the show. Anyway, your post made me think of that.

• Love 10
(edited)

For that she seems to want to be awarded some type of Profile in Courage award. 

LOL

What she did was to shut Kristen down and to make it impossible for her to tell her side of the story

..and yet, because Bethenny walked away, Kristin finally has people talking about her. Hmm.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yes, I'm a newbie and have far fewer than 75 posts here. About 73 fewer. But I love reading your takes on these weekly train wrecks.

Re Carole's grammatical error: The "between you and I" is pretty egregious for anyone who is literate. Yeah, not all writers are good at grammar. For the most part, such writers have some special knowledge and need editors to clean up their prose. Good writers are not so bad at all that. So is Carole a writer? Perhaps, but maybe a bad writer. I don't know anybody who says "between you and I." Yeah, I'm a copy editor and so I am more attuned to these things, but I am also a published fiction writer. "Between you and I" is just a screech on my ears. Sorry. (Also sorry that I have not yet mastered the quoting thing. I will learn.)

As you see, I haven't figured  out how to quote either, but I did want to cheer for this post. Not only did Carole say "between you and I," but she said it twice in this episode. Once was at the dinner where Ramoaner had tears in her ears because Bethenny hadn't arranged for a stable of men to keep her interested. Carole let fly the embarrassing grammar—it should have been embarrassing for a writer, anyway— and then I was mesmerized by how difficult it seems for her to be able to chew. OK, I am fixated on her terrible bite. She's going to have big gum and teeth problems when she gets, ahem, older.

BTW, it's fine to end sentences with prepositions. That rule came from a Latin construction and is irrelevant in English. But "between you and I" is wrong. People think "I" is a classier pronoun than "me." It isn't. They are equal. Just depends whether you're using it as a subject or an object.  Off my soapbox now. Sorry.

Edited by Lisin
Just click the little " button in the post you want to quote :)
  • Love 9

Re: her behavior, Beth should take her advice she gave to Kelly:

http://www.realitytea.com/2010/05/21/the-real-housewives-of-nyc-episode-12-recap-a-mental-meltdown/

Some underestimated Kelly's greatness then, lol, how right she was.  Hence, she's gone. 

I just realized something, in her own way Bethany is Kim Richards. She dictates what she will and will not talk about. She shuts down other people. She for the most part doesn't have normal relationships. Her addiction is being a "Reality Star". She is a mental mess and should take some time off away from Reality TV until her house is in order and she isn't so emotionally raw.

It makes sense.  Bethenny did work for Kathy Hilton and is good friends with Kyle.  Amazing how the world works.  I do remember Kyle saying during the RHOBH reunion clips she said her and Bethenny spoke a lot while this season of NY was taping.  She probably gave her some fabulous tips how to cry on cue to the viewers to feel her pain.

• Love 6
So, where was Ramona picking up Avery?  Doesn't she go to Emory in Georgia?  Didn't we have a whole big scene with Ro and Mario dropping her off at the airport last season?  That was not an airport in the scene.  It kind of looked like Penn Station which I can't imagine Ro having her daughter take a train from the airport in 'real' life.  A part of me doesn't like that I pick up on this stuff but I got the feeling that once again, it was another 'reenacted' scene.

There was a sign on the background for 31st St, and Penn Station is on 34th St, so it's plausible. Ramona appeared to have been in a town car/Uber XL so there could have been an arranged pick-up time. I haven't lived in New York for almost ten years, so I could be totally wrong. (I also had an interview at Ricky's because I impressed the manager despite my major lack of experience and theoretically decent looks, but then I got lost. This was before GPS existed on inexpensive cell phones and I wasn't from there. That could have been me in that meeting with Kristen, you guys!)

Out of curiousity, have any of the women on the RH shows ever really successfully launched a product that was created after they became a RH?  The Skinny Girl was already in the works before Bethenney became famous and that's a product line that makes sense. Heather already had Yummie.

As for housewives doing well with products post-RH career, I think LuAnn's Evine line (which we'll see next week) is a totally sensible thing to do. It's affordable to the viewer, and the stuff is ready-to-wear. There are a lot more consumers for fun summer dresses than luxury gowns. I don't know how much of the product she's actually INVOLVED with, but she flies to Minneapolis to be in the studio to shill it (Evine is based in Eden Prairie, MN. How do you know so much about Evine, JakeyJokes, asked no one. Well, my friend works there and met LuAnn and says she was really nice. Suzanne Somers -- not so much).

Kristen was right to be upset with Bethenny -- but time and place, man. Time and place.

And why does Heather have to apologize to Bethenny? She said "apology accepted" and "I got it" several times, which is what I think Bethenny wanted in the first place. Bethenny may not necessarily want attention, but I do think she (as most of us) deeply resents being misunderstood.

As was mentioned, Kadooz to Sonja for bringing her notebook to the meeting. "Last time Sonja left the house without her notebook, she lost seven million dollars!" remains one of my favorite Singer Stingers ever.

• Love 13

I actually like Kristen. She, like Dorinda is a good foil for this group of very strong and "out there" personalities. I have no problems with her. People can go on about Bethenny "caring" so much about Sonja. I believe her caring is entirely camera related. They were so-called friends before this season and Sonja has been a hot drunken cougar mess who was literally depressing to watch spiral. She too has been going through difficult court problems, issues with her ex-husband and shared custody. She certainly is easy enough to find. Why Sonja managed to show up on time to the "brand reunion meeting" and behaved like a sober adult rather than a diva who can't manage her own feminine hygiene products independently probably has more to do with her innate sense of snobbery. Heather was just not as wealthy as Bethenny. It's all about the dollahs.

• Love 11
(edited)

Let me preface this by saying this is going to be a pro-Bethenny post and I never thought I'd have one of them in a million years.

I think Bethenny is really trying to help Sonja and I don't understand why Sonja seems so disinterested.  If I were trying to start a brand and Bethenny Frankel offered to guide me, I would be sitting at her feet like a sponge.  I remember season 1 when she was carrying Skinny Girl all over the place, I remember the VW with the Skinny Girl logo, and yeah, I remember the muffins - but she did it.  And I respect her for that.

And Kristen can make all the muffin comments she wants, but I bet in a few years her nail polish will be down the tubes.  You can like Bethenny or not, and I don't, but she deserves some respect for what she's accomplished professionally.

Carole needs to just stop trying to be the cool, edgy,  hip, fun, whatever it is she's trying to be because she's trying to hard and it's not working. 

And, going back around to Bethenny - they other ladies just need to stop with the "are you all right, are you ok?"  Leave her alone.  LuAnn really pushed it, and I would have been annoyed.  Bethenny has made it clear that there are things in her life that are troubling - the nastiness of her divorce was public knowledge - and the others just need to back off.   Let's get through at least a couple of scenes without everyone talking about how Bethenny is.  Because I think she'd be fine if they stopped.

I also thought she (Bethenny) was right to walk away from Kristen  who was clearly looking to engage.   I would have done the same thing.  Who needs it?  Bethenny had just gotten through a whole scene with LuAnn, why does she need to go through one with Kristen?  And Carole, can stop with the "oops, I probably shouldn't have said anything hee hee hee".

Ramona's friend's comment about the "other people".  Good grief - she might as well have said "riffraff". 

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 12

That's the one I referred to earlier - that we (the network) had to work with for months to figure out how to use our Talent in bumpers to sell this Pop of Color in a way that seemed organic. Ugh, I'll never forget that misery. 

There was another company with the trademark but under the category of computer software..

This one from Proctor & Gamble lists their category as Cosmetics & Laundry - so can Proctor sue Kristen?

• Love 1

My 2 cents on the way Bethenny "helps" Sonja vs Heather - B treats her like an equal. Like an intelligent person who can behave during a business discussion and learn from it. Heather treats Sonja like Kristen ( or a 16 year old ). Sonja doesn't want her hand held - she wants to run the show.

• Love 7

It's so frustrating - I can't "like" or quote posts from this particular computer so apologies cause I luv so many posts on this board.  Ryebread -  I think many of us are the TV Without Pity castaways that were floundering till we found this site.  It's at least as snarky and maybe more so!  I have found a home!!!!!!!

• Love 6

I think they (B & K) cancel each other out. It was every bit as callous & thoughtless of Kristin to use Bethenny purely as a fluffer to secure Kristin desperately needed camera-fucking time  (and all to discuss the bitchy bullshit Princess Carole brought into the mix, purely to "move things along"). I think Kristin got exactly what she deserved.  She was hoping to use and attack and corner Bethenny -- and get a big camera moment out of it -- and instead, Bethenny smelled the fake-stink on the woman and walked away. (One of the few smart things Frankel has done this season, imo.)  If you're trying to set someone up for an on camera dressing down and they foil you, it's hard to claim victim status, since your intentions were hardly noble.

ETA:

Not sure you can fairly single Bethenny out as an exception (which it sounds like you're doing -- if not,  ignore the rest of this comment!) since none of these people have behavior that would be tolerated in the workplace -- who, Heather? ("You don't want the doughnuts? Have the bagel instead -- not a bagel? Then eat the croissant! No croissant? Then take the CRONUT OR  YOU WILL EAT NOTHING IN THIS STAFF ROOM!") Or Carole with the gossipy whining ("Hey, before we get to the Peterson file? Bethenny said you were dumb!") or Ramona (actually, Moaner is almost sane this season so far -- save me Jesus from the reality that has brought me to typing that last sentence). Maybe Sonja (with her shirt dress half open, bra showing as she frantically dry humps one coworker after another) or Luann!  Luann,  who last night had the salesmanship of a busted-broke Willy Loman  -- no shoeshine, no smile -- just stumbling over her words as if English were her fifteenth language, so insincere was her intent, so mangled her delivery. 

If we're using workplace rules here, they're all wearing a pink slip under their designer dress.

I love you, film noir

I've seen cruel behaviors from Housewives & walking away & not engaging with a dumb-ass is not one of them

"IMHO"

• Love 7
(edited)

RHONY RATINGS:: 1.230/540k share (ages 18-49); Slight boost from the 1.18 last week.

http://www.tv-recaps-reviews.com/2015/06/tuesday-cable-ratings-june-9.html

Setting the world on fire......only not.

Keep up the good work, Show! Right into oblivion.

But look at that Secrets and Wives! That show looks so obnoxious I can't even attempt to sit through it. 

Bravo seems to think whiny women with East Coast accents are key. Uh, the accent is fine but how about a little class with the snark? Bring on more Eileen Davidson's and less Bethenny's. 

Edited by Roxy
  • Love 5

That was so good, filmnoire.  The whole thing, so damn good.

Heather treats Sonja like Kristen ( or a 16 year old ).

Nailed it.  But 16? Most are treated like they are in the 5 - 7 range.  Perhaps Carole's regression is because her best friend has become her mother.  If so, why hasn't Heather been feeding her better?  Does she worry about the floating staircase and that Carole will fall down, go boom?  

• Love 8

Carole is a bad friend. She and Bethenny had a conversation off camera about Kristen and she blabbed whatever Bethenny said to Kristen.  She simply can't be trusted.  What a snake.

I'm not enjoying this season at all.  It is pretty clear to me that none of these women are really friends.  Before this week's episode I suppose an argument could have been made for Heather, Carole and Kristen being Real Friends but now?  I don't think so.  Carole doesn't have Real Friends.  She's another Bethenny. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Kristen trademarked "P.O.C." for her line too? Doesn't that mean "person of color" to most people (outside of the business context where it's "proof of concept")? I hope she just registered it to cover herself and isn't actually going to use it. What was the deal with the magazine Kristen brought to the meeting? Was she on the cover? I couldn't catch what was going on with that, and it was super awkward how Carole was all "oh what a coincidence I just happen to have brought that with me, you know I was planning to do my own nail polish line." I'm so sure Kristen invited her to a nail polish naming meeting but it never came up that Carole wanted to get in the business herself. That moment was painfully contrived.

If Bethenny really doesn't want the attention, she's handling it all wrong. Breaking down or lashing out at a dinner party is not going to deflect attention. All she'd need to say is "Thanks for your concern, as you know I am going through a very tough time right now, and I'm grateful to have a solid team of attorneys and therapists who are helping me with the legal and emotional side of this. I value your friendship and it means the world to me to know that I can reach out to you for support when I need it." No one can really argue with that or insist that she talk about it then and there.

I did like at AOA when Bethenny ordered a martini but then caught herself and said she'd drink Ramona pinot. More than anyone she understands the importance of leveraging the show for a business and she wasn't going to sabotage Ramona. For as much as the show seems to be a commercial for the various fly-by-night HW ventures (and last night was certainly no exception), I did like this moment.

Edited by Malaprop cocktail
  • Love 4

Avery transferred to UVA. She was definitely coming out of Penn Station, on the Amtrak side on 31st and 8th Avenue. Presumably she could have taken the train home from school.

What was the deal with the magazine Kristen brought to the meeting?

The magazine was about nails/nail polish. I think the idea was that some people are so into their nails that there is an actual magazine about it. Oh, and that she is a super smart businesswoman and has done approximately 15 minutes of research.

(edited)

I'm wondering how Bethenny is going to market vodka and 3 olives as the new SkinnyGirl drink.

Isn't Three Olives already a flavored vodka brand?  LOL

Unless she can figure out a way to make olives and a vodka that are calorie-free, I think you got her, there!!  

Well, maybe she'll start a new brand...."Dirty Skinny girl Martinis".    :-)

ETA:  Apparently, she has already done it - with "naked vodka" and other flavors:

http://skinnygirlcocktails.com/the-cocktails/vodka-with-natural-flavors

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought Heather saying words to the effect that she understands now that she needs to back off and will be available when Bethy is ready to interact and being courteous when she next saw Bethy, but careful in not smothering her was Heather's way of apologizing.

Heather might need to take heed of the way Bethy apologizes, stringing 4-6 "I'm sorrys" together in a row and give that a try next time.

Edited by Crikey
  • Love 5
Um, so why in the fuckety fuck would Sonja have all her windows wide open in this disgusting weather?  Maybe cuz she can't afford air conditioning, just as she can't afford heat or hot water?

I think it was S4 when Sonja had a serious water issue in her townhouse after Hurricane Sandy. And a plumber came in to assess and there were buckets all over the place, catching water…and if I remember, Sonja hadn't removed window treatments (!). It wouldn't surprise me if her place smells musty and mildewy as hell if she never got around to repairing the water damage, or thought that she could do it herself. This wouldn't be about patching some walls as replacing carpet, wallpaper, etc. 

But like Occam's Razor, your explanation is the simplest and the best - she doesn't have A/C. (Well, neither does Heather :) But at least she can cool off in the lake.)

• Love 2
(edited)

I love this season.  They do a nice job of balancing fun and drama.  As with last week, though, I watched it while drinking which probably affected my judgement. 

As far as the grand Heather vs. Bethenney battle goes- if I'm taking it seriously, I think they're both messed up.  Bethenney picked the wrong time to go on a reality show.  Heather needs to learn more about innocuous conversation, because she does go all in pretty quickly.  Although...

I think that's because there are cameras, and it's her job.  Just like I think Luann vs. Bethenney was about the cameras and Luann's attempt to get Bethenney to talk in more detail about the divorce on camera (hence Bethenney's immediate response of "you know what's going on").  In fact, I still think what I assumed a few weeks back is true, and the conflict this season is about screentime and the need for Bethenney to appear for it to happen.  As my bf pointed out, the episode ended when she left the party, although almost all of them were still there.  

And, I still think who she interacts with is related to her relationship with Andy more than anything.  She talks to Carole, his friend.  She's cool with Dorinda, who's linked to the other anchor of the show, Ramona.  She ignores the irrelevant Kristen (who I really like but never miss) and semi-relevant Heather (she's the antagonist of this story, 'cause it's what she keeps giving them).  

All of which is to say- I'm loving it on a couple of levels.  It's fun, and I think they've had more genuine fun with each other than in a long time on one of these shows; and I think there's this who play about reality tv hierarchies and airtime that's sort of...it's like a nature show about famewhores.  Good times (at least for me).

On another note- I think Carole should drop the whole "I shared this info, I'm shocked people are talking about it" thing.  She did it last week with Ramona's friend, then again here with what Bethenney said about Kristen (that we didn't see...did we?).  You know what'll happen when you share, don't play.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 10
(edited)

It's one thing to have a bit of a meltdown at a dinner party, but to drone on and on about having walls up, don't want the attention, going through a difficult time, etc., etc. -- ugh! SHUDDAAP ALREADY, WE GET IT!! Put a cork in it Beth (hee!), or don't volunteer to do a reality show, geez! I hate having to put exclaimation marks in all my sentences, makes me feel like a damn Millennial, but when it comes to Bethenny I can't help myself because she's so insufferable. Moving on.

Kristen is driving me up a wall with her voice, her personality, and her presence on this show. She reminds me of a bird in looks and squaky tone. Maybe an ostrich. I'd love to lock her and Bethenny in a padded room together and let them out-jerk each other.

Heather schmeather, her m.o is to talk ya death and ruminate -- I don't know why she and Bethenny aren't BFFs by now; surely they'll bond over this in no time because they really are a lot alike.

I'm liking Dorinda a lot, especially since we haven't had to watch any recent scenes with her daughter.

I thought this was supposed to be the best season EVER, thanks Andy Cohen -- said no one.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 12

I think Bethenny is really trying to help Sonja and I don't understand why Sonja seems so disinterested. If I were trying to start a brand and Bethenny Frankel offered to guide me, I would be sitting at her feet like a sponge. I remember season 1 when she was carrying Skinny Girl all over the place, I remember the VW with the Skinny Girl logo, and yeah, I remember the muffins - but she did it. And I respect her for that.

I totally respect this girls hustle but this is something I keep reading and it bugs the crap out of me. From when she came on the scene, Bethenny's business skills included schlepping her products from event to event, festival to festival, buying space in supermarkets to give out samples. And then there's the auditions for any reality tv show she could get on for more exposure. All good examples of her hustle. But the actual business part of her "empire" is all controlled by actual business people (many who I believe have been proven to be her awful daddy's friends). She's had partners that have handled her business since day 1. I remember in early season that guy that she met with that was telling her she was going to some outside event or something. And she went where he sent her. And like it or not she depended upon her husband to talk to other business people on the phone for her at times . I don't see Bethenny as some big business mogul that everyone else does I guess is my point. Is she shameless in her endless product placement? Sure, no argument there. Did Jim Beam dial her direct number and she then negotiate a million dollar deal herself? Not so much. I'm sure once the cameras left she sat back and watched the real business people conduct business in her "summit".

And Kristen can make all the muffin comments she wants, but I bet in a few years her nail polish will be down the tubes. You can like Bethenny or not, and I don't, but she deserves some respect for what she's accomplished professionally.

I didn't take Kristin comment as an insult. I found her complimentary of Bethenny and wanting to learn how she went from a muffin to current day success. Bethenny just can't recognize a compliment if it bit her in the face.

• Love 22
And Kristen can make all the muffin comments she wants, but I bet in a few years her nail polish will be down the tubes.  You can like Bethenny or not, and I don't, but she deserves some respect for what she's accomplished professionally.

I can see SkinnyGirl going down the tubes in a few years too, once a new brand shows up.

• Love 12

Unless she can figure out a way to make olives and a vodka that are calorie-free, I think you got her, there!!  

ETA:  Apparently, she has already done it - with "naked vodka" and other flavors:

Damn her!  If she comes out with a whipped cream flavor I will have to buy it.

• Love 1

Going with Carole's idea (not a new one, mind you) that sex sells, maybe the name could be Skinny Dirty Girl Martinis  :)  

• Love 2
Kristen trademarked "P.O.C." for her line too? Doesn't that mean "person of color" to most people (outside of the business context where it's "proof of concept")? I hope she just registered it to cover herself and isn't actually going to use it.

In my software sales world, POC means Proof of Concept - customers want to see how the new software would work for their company before buying it, so they ask for a POC.  It's like a "try before you buy" pilot program. 

So, I think Kristin would do fine labeling her bottles POC.  It means different things to people...I never would have thought of Person of Color.

• Love 3
(edited)

In my software sales world, POC means Proof of Concept

Um, read the message you quoted. :) I know it means proof of concept in some contexts, but that wouldn't be my first thought if I just saw nail polish with P.O.C. on them at the salon or Ulta or wherever.

"Person/people of color" is the first definition on Urban Dictionary, FWIW. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poc

Edited by Malaprop cocktail

. And her nail polish names turned out to be dumb. "Mommy Reality?" What does that mean? I'm not a mom and would probably stay away from that on name alone.

That's... ridiculous, and I say this as someone whose nails are currently a metallic blue shade called "Scouse." At least call it "Reality Mommy" -- that at least gives the impression that you're a mom from a reality show; slightly glam like the "Manhattan Moms" concept Alex apparently originally tried out for. "Mommy Reality" just makes me think you've got poo, school paste, and mac & cheese dust under your nails. 

I think if Bethenny really cared about Sonja, she would give her some hard truths about the people she surrounded herself with, and apparently gave lots of money to in the building of the so-called Sonja Morgan Collection. Ironically, that's what Heather did (and the others, including Josh, a branding and marketing professional), but they get called out as unsupportive, and Bethenny gets praise as a real friend and a true professional.

This is exactly how I was hoping it was going to play out when they had that talk in Atlantic City, and when she went to the meeting with Sonja's "team". I don't know how it went so far sideways from that. 

Oh, I do. We changed to focus on the crying. Allllll the crying. Alllllll the time. 

I'm wondering how Bethenny is going to market vodka and 3 olives as the new SkinnyGirl drink.

It's actually the new SkinnyGirl Diet Plan. That's your day's food intake. Olives are vegetables, right? 

I say all of this as someone with copies of both Naturally Thin and SkinnyGirl Dish on her cookbook shelf and a half empty box of SkinnyGirl lime and sea salt microwave popcorn in her desk drawer (it's a'ight), by the way. I've always liked Bethenny, even on her spin-offs. Until about a month ago. And now I just want her to go away, raise her daughter, and cry into her pile of money if that's what she needs to do. I don't need to see her particular brand of manic, brittle, half-witty sniping.

I was going to quit the show if they'd brought Kelly back after S3, AND if they'd brought Jill back after S4, because shit with them got way too dark and mean. I started watching S5 and stayed because I liked all the new girls in their introduction. I did quit when they brought Aviva back for a second year, because I couldn't handle the weird, dark vibe she seemed to cast over everything (and her father. I couldn't handle her father, full stop). And I came back partly because she was gone and partly because Bethenny was back, and now I feel like Bethenny's bringing the same sort of mean, dark crazy to the table that all those others did. 

• Love 16

I don't see Bethenny as some big business mogul that everyone else does I guess is my point. Is she shameless in her endless product placement? Sure, no argument there. Did Jim Beam dial her direct number and she then negotiate a million dollar deal herself? Not so much. I'm sure once the cameras left she sat back and watched the real business people conduct business in her "summit".

Which, if I were in her expensive shoes, would be cool with me.  I like to delegate.  Just lemme sit back while you show me the money and I'll hire whomever needs to be hired for whatever needs to be done.  I no longer have the desire to manage a business or a career.  Or my laundry room, for that matter.

I agree that the Skinny Girl empire isn't long for this world. But again, if in her shoes, I'd do some more hiring and get myself the best financial planner on the planet and be set for life, come what may. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Damn her!  If she comes out with a whipped cream flavor I will have to buy it.

There already is a cookie dough flavored vodka (forgot who makes it). Had to text a friend, it's the perfect thing for her around "time of the month". 

I think Bethany should market a Bitchy Girl line.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 7

I hope Bethenny is sufficiently scared of Heather, cause Heather is getting her "skully" and then she is going show that bitch Bethenny who she's messing with. And who is THAT, exactly? And what is Heather threatening to do to Bethenny?

--oh, and yeah, she DID grab Bethenny's hand.

Honestly, this thug pose Heather likes to put on is ugly and ridiculous. UGLY & RIDICULOUS. Oh, but her heart is soooo big. Big as her [imaginary ] testicles, I'm guessing.

Yeah, I am officially a Heather disliker, if we are counting...

I think it was S4 when Sonja had a serious water issue in her townhouse after Hurricane Sandy. And a plumber came in to assess and there were buckets all over the place, catching water…and if I remember, Sonja hadn't removed window treatments (!). It wouldn't surprise me if her place smells musty and mildewy as hell if she never got around to repairing the water damage, or thought that she could do it herself. This wouldn't be about patching some walls as replacing carpet, wallpaper, etc.

But like Occam's Razor, your explanation is the simplest and the best - she doesn't have A/C. (Well, neither does Heather :) But at least she can cool off in the lake.)

Well, what I find interesting, passing Sonja's townhouse every day on my way to the subway station on 63rd Street, is that from the street view, it doesn't look any different from the other townhouses on the block -- other than being much, much, much smaller.  BUT no other townhouse on the block has any windows open in this hot humid disgusting weather, let alone ALL windows open.  Yeppers, poor, poor Sonja must have no air conditioning.  And in this stinko weather that must really suck.  Oh what a luxe life you lead now, Sonja.  

Er, and just where are those Sonja clothes?  Is Bethenny still sooooo concerned about giving her Skinny Girl advice?  Btw, SkinnyGirl advice is pretty much nothing but a bunch of hot air, littered with zillions of promos for SkinnyGirl products.  Real helpful to Sonja, eh?

OK, so ratings are still meh.  Not in-the-toilet horrible, but kinda stinky for a Housewives show.  This ep had 1.23 mil viewers.  So from week-to-week, Bethenny is clearly not making a diff in driving up ratings.  Uh-oh.

• Love 5

I so dislike the way the editing monkeys are trying to spin things. Just give us honest footage please.

That dinner scene had more chops than a karate class. Was it as blatant in the previous episode?

I literally laughed out loud during this:  "Come back here."  "No!"

Me, too. That was pretty funny.

Other LOLs were Buzzed!Jonathan, and everybody being all "whatevs" when McTweaky was running around announcing that she was leaving.

More laughable by the week: Beth's tagline.

I wish Heather would lose that reptilian grin, it really does make her look disingenuous.

Is it even possible for a person in their forties to change their grin?

I got a kick out of Carole "moving things along". It's not like she's revealing secret surrogacies or shit pillows. Plus, she answered my question about whether LuAnn is the only one of the ladies Sonja hits on, so I appreciated that bit of tea.

Ramona's reaction to the girl-girl/threesome talk - methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Also, what makes Beth think the lesbians would want her?

Heh. Her riches must be due mostly to the "SkinnyGirl" name, because there's nothing revolutionary about a classic margarita with less triple sec (the cocktail she ordered in the flashback with LuAnn).

• Love 8