Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's my favourite since I pretty much despise most ads, but there's one airing right now with three older ladies sledging and remembering their childhoods, with the flat Beatles cover music, that's kinda sweet.  It's for Amazon so there's that too, even though I do use them and feel bad about it.

Ah, the existential angst advertising can cause.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/5NnD/amazon-holidays-joy-ride

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's my favourite since I pretty much despise most ads, but there's one airing right now with three older ladies sledging and remembering their childhoods, with the flat Beatles cover music, that's kinda sweet.  It's for Amazon so there's that too, even though I do use them and feel bad about it.

I absolutely love this commercial, I think it's perfect.  The three old ladies sitting in the village square and watching all the young folks sledding.  One of the ladies orders butt pads from Amazon and then those three are having the time of their lives going sledding down the hill.

I particular love the shot from behind of them going down this huge hill into the downtown area.  That village looks perfect, straight out of a Currier and Ives print.

• Like 9

Oh my heart, I rarely watch commercials but  right before I grabbed my remote I heard "In My Life", my favorite Beatles song ever, and decided to see what was being sold and tears, people, tears! Love the three little old ladies enjoying the sliding hill. I can't endorse anything that makes Jeff Bezos richer, so I personally don't order from Amazon, but this commercial breaks my heart with the music and the faces and the joy. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
On 11/10/2023 at 12:20 AM, Gramto6 said:

I'm in the boonies in MT and by the time I'd drive to town to get to a Walmart and back home the price of gas would eat up any lesser price for the food than what I pay to Chewy. Plus it is delivered to my door and I have  fewer times I have to lift the heavy bags of kibble. Since fracturing a vertebrae in my back and breaking 3 ribs at the end of last year,  lifting heavy things is not a good thing for me to be doing. 

Yeah, my feral cats are spoiled, but the enjoyment I get just watching them play, and loving on the few that are more social makes the Friskies worth it to me.  I'm a hermit basically and don't go far from home, except for dr appointments, so it works for me in the end. 

I'm going to have to start singing the peanut butter box song now when the deliveries come!   😸 😸 😸

That would make a difference.  I live within walking distance of Walmart, not that I ever walk there.  Crossing the major road in the way would be taking my life in my own hands.

I do love the Chewy commercials though.

That Kroger commercial is so sweet.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I absolutely love this commercial, I think it's perfect.  The three old ladies sitting in the village square and watching all the young folks sledding.  One of the ladies orders butt pads from Amazon and then those three are having the time of their lives going sledding down the hill.

I particular love the shot from behind of them going down this huge hill into the downtown area.  That village looks perfect, straight out of a Currier and Ives print.

And that particular Beatles song is so perfect for the idea of the commercial, too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Oh my heart, I rarely watch commercials but  right before I grabbed my remote I heard "In My Life", my favorite Beatles song ever, and decided to see what was being sold and tears, people, tears! Love the three little old ladies enjoying the sliding hill. I can't endorse anything that makes Jeff Bezos richer, so I personally don't order from Amazon, but this commercial breaks my heart with the music and the faces and the joy. 

That's my favorite Beatles song too. Perfect for the commercial.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
On 11/16/2023 at 4:37 AM, Ancaster said:

I love it too, but I have to wonder how they get up out of their sleds at the bottom. I'd probably need EMS to get me out and on my feet!

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
33 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I love it too, but I have to wonder how they get up out of their sleds at the bottom. I'd probably need EMS to get me out and on my feet!

Yeah, that commercial had already been posted in another thread (probably the Holiday/Seasonal Commercials thread), which was how I saw it, and I love it, but after the "how sweet!" reaction wore off, I had thoughts similar to those of another poster in that thread -- now they have to trudge back up that hill -- and you -- notice we cut from them coming to a stop to already being standing (I could still just stand up - although with groaning, as it takes more effort than it used to - but on her best day my mom [these women's contemporary] would have to employ a multi-step process).   But then I watched it again and the "how sweet!" reaction was back.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2023 at 10:39 PM, andromeda331 said:

That's my favorite Beatles song too. Perfect for the commercial.

Just saw it again, but they cut the part showing the ladies as children! And that's my favorite part 😢

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
23 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Just saw it again, but they cut the part showing the ladies as children! And that's my favorite part 😢

I've seen two versions: one with them as kids and one without. I agree the former is the best.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I've seen two versions: one with them as kids and one without. I agree the former is the best.

Yeah, you need the context that these ladies have been friends since they were kids.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I saw that ad before a movie this afternoon, and I've decided that all the kids watching the women slide down the hill pitch in and help them drag their sleds back up.

Edited to ask if anyone knows who the actors are -- two of them look really familiar.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, you need the context that these ladies have been friends since they were kids.

Also that, as they head down that hill, the years fall away, and they feel like they did as worry-free children.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Edited to ask if anyone knows who the actors are -- two of them look really familiar.

iSpot is usually the best with that info, but they don't have any of the actors listed yet; you can keep checking (here's the link).  The actor playing the woman who orders the cushions looks familiar to me, and I think I've seen the one who's camera right when they're on the bench before too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

I just saw a Lexus commercial that is so cute.   The woman is driving out with a Husky in the back seat, drives out to meet the man, and more Huskies at a dog sled,  and then instead of the dogs pulling the sled, the coupule drive home with the back seat full of Huskies.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

There is a commercial that I'm liking right now but I wouldn't call it a favorite. St. Jude's has a spokeskid and he begins by saying "Cancer is different in a child because your child is still growing." I must admit, I never thought about it that way before. He goes on to talk about the thousands of kids in the world who have cancer. I think he's very effective.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just saw a Lexus commercial that is so cute.   The woman is driving out with a Husky in the back seat, drives out to meet the man, and more Huskirs at a dog sled,  and then they drive home with the back seat full of Huskies.       

Is there a big red bow on the roof?

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Is there a big red bow on the roof?

Lexus seems to have ditched the big red bow on the roof for cute dogs. Probably taking a cue from Subaru. The thing about Subaru is that they have a program to donate money to help animals.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Lexus seems to have ditched the big red bow on the roof for cute dogs. Probably taking a cue from Subaru. The thing about Subaru is that they have a program to donate money to help animals.

Yes they do; Subaru is affiliated with the ASPCA, you know, that highly-rated charity that gets a lot of hate here because people don't like their commercials with the sad animals.  (I love ASPCA and have donated to them for years.)

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yes they do; Subaru is affiliated with the ASPCA, you know, that highly-rated charity that gets a lot of hate here because people don't like their commercials with the sad animals.  (I love ASPCA and have donated to them for years.)

When people are expressing hate here, it is about the commercials.  That doesn't necessarily mean people hate the charity.  Many of us support many different charities and there are a lot of animal lovers in the group.  Also many volunteer for animal agencies. They are often the most put off by the ads that show animals in pain or distress.  For me the ASPCA ads are a fail because they make people want to look away.  If they showed how the animals were helped and all of the good that they do, I find that is more likely to get me to donate. 

If they want to start with showing them in distress, show them better at the end.  The ad run this summer going on abut lack of water was a great example.  Give those doggies some damn water!  Get them into shade.  show that you get them out of these dire situations. 

• Like 14
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Awww! I want them all!

So do I! 

7 hours ago, cynicat said:

We need more shelter ads like this ❤️

That's a great commercial. That's how it should be done. Showing the adorable cats and a lot of funny lines. I like the Windows compatable and if you want a sleeping cat or cat with no tail. 

• Like 6

I love the cats' "Dude, you are such a dork" reactions to his antics, and the scene where the woman is using her sweater to imitate one of those arm-flailing inflatable tube figures used to attract attention to car dealerships and such.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Trini said:

Appreciate the effort, but the first one is still funnier.

I like the inclusion of Andy Reid (can't think of a better current NFL head coach to rep Snickers), but it is missing the "great googly-moogly" at the end.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's a fail -- the way the old guy says "Great googly moogly" is art.  This kid ain't got it.

For me it's the way Old Guy shoos away the player correcting his spelling at the very end.

• Like 5

On the slippers for Santa from the little kid from Macy's, they upped the sound on the kid saying the slippers are for later. 

I really like the longer version of most commercials, the shortened versions just don't make sense by cutting a lot of the storyline out.      The longer verson of the kid with slippers for Santa is adorable, the shorter one isn't so entertaining.   The Amazon with the three sledding women is a complete story, but the shortened version isn't as good. 

I like the Infinity car commercial where the couple bought one of her brother's apparently hideous paintings, and are discussing where to hang it, and settle on hanging it in the attic, hopefully facing the wall. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the slippers for Santa from the little kid from Macy's, they upped the sound on the kid saying the slippers are for later.    

I saw a shortened version of that one last night and it sucks -- they basically just have him walking past the toy aisles, the text that he finally found something, and then giving Santa the slippers.  The charm is lost without showing all the things he considered and rejected; the whole point is that this kid not only was sweet enough to give Santa a gift, but put real thought into what Santa would most appreciate.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1

I like this commercial that airs during hockey games.  I don't know what the other player expects when he starts mentioning financial goals to the goalie right before the game.  These guys are real players for the Nashville Predators, although I wouldn't have known because I don't pay close enough attention to know what anyone looks like.

On 12/8/2023 at 4:58 PM, meep.meep said:

New favorite:  the band trying to pick the best picture for their album cover and all three want to be the featured artist.

So that's what's going on in that commercial.  Obviously I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 12/15/2023 at 4:44 AM, BooksRule said:

It's a few years old now, but every now and then I have to pull up this Cartier commercial to watch. It's so beautiful!

Thank you for that! I'd never seen it before. OMG, I'm literally crying. It's utterly beautiful.

• Like 3
On 12/15/2023 at 5:44 AM, BooksRule said:

It's a few years old now, but every now and then I have to pull up this Cartier commercial to watch. It's so beautiful!

Wow! I've never seen it before either! That was beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Like 3