Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: Trivia And Other Gossip

• Start Topic

Heh, I actually don't watch the show so I can't really say whether a Beckett-less Castle would work or not. It's just that after seeing how Stana Katic and Tamala Jones were treated and all the BTS messiness we were hearing about, I'm glad that it's all blown up in the show's face. 

Now for the E! True Hollywood story... but only after we get one for The Good Wife! 

• Love 4

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't spend the money on silly things like buying a new house and car and paying off debts, I'd give it to Archie Panjabi to write a tell-all book entirely about Marguiles.

• Like 1
  • Love 21
On 5/17/2016 at 9:02 AM, TaraS1 said:

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't spend the money on silly things like buying a new house and car and paying off debts, I'd give it to Archie Panjabi to write a tell-all book entirely about Marguiles.

I would love a Hollywood tell all with more volumes than the Encyclopedia Britanica, more entries/pages than Wikipedia and would be willing to fund it, if I were to win the lottery lol. Of course, since this is all never going to happen heh, the writers would all have Diplomatic Immunity (somehow). The first book would start with the Fatty Arbuckle scandal. 

• Love 7
On 5/16/2016 at 1:34 PM, galax-arena said:

Heh, I actually don't watch the show so I can't really say whether a Beckett-less Castle would work or not. It's just that after seeing how Stana Katic and Tamala Jones were treated and all the BTS messiness we were hearing about, I'm glad that it's all blown up in the show's face. 

Now for the E! True Hollywood story... but only after we get one for The Good Wife! 

I never thought after reading all the outrage that a Beckett-less Castle would work, but I was willing to give it a try. I would have kept Tamala Jones and in a weird way understand why she was sacrificed, but it didn't mean I had to like it. I just wonder if ending the show and creating a spinoff without all the messy firings would have worked out better. Of course now we will never know.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2016 at 1:34 PM, galax-arena said:

Trust me, you don't want an E! True Hollywood Story. They don't give a shit about quality and details like they did in their glory days of the late 90's/early 2000's. It would have to be a show/network willing to do their homework. 

• Love 1

I would love a Hollywood tell all with more volumes than the Encyclopedia Britanica, more entries/pages than Wikipedia and would be willing to fund it, if I were to win the lottery lol. Of course, since this is all never going to happen heh, the writers would all have Diplomatic Immunity (somehow). The first book would start with the Fatty Arbuckle scandal. 

Is there a reason such a wiki does not exist?   I mean sure you can find all this stuff on Wikipedia, but why not a Wiki of BTS True Hollywood stories?   As long as its true, you can keep the lawyers at bay.   Wikis are free.    

On 5/19/2016 at 7:59 PM, merylinkid said:

Is there a reason such a wiki does not exist?   I mean sure you can find all this stuff on Wikipedia, but why not a Wiki of BTS True Hollywood stories?   As long as its true, you can keep the lawyers at bay.   Wikis are free.    

Finding people to come forward with this info; especially those still working in the business, wouldn't be as easy as it sounds. There's always the burden of proof and highly paid intelligent lawyers could keep people tied up in litigation to the point of bankruptcy. This is regarding the not well known info. Also celebs and family members of deceased celebs like to preserve the image of their family members; with exception to the money hungry ones. Of course, someone more well versed on this subject matter would be better in answering this query. 

People working in the industry sign NDAs. If they leak info and it is traced back to them they could be ruined professionally and financially. Most people have the common sense to realize that the questionable momentary satisfaction or thrill they get from spilling a bit of gossip is not worth jeopardizing the financial security of their family. Plus a lot of people frown on gossiping and just have no interest in that sort of thing.

• Love 2

What orza said, with the exception of a lot of people frowning on gossip or having no interest in it. If that were the case, there would be no rag mags, gossip sites, and things of that ilk. Heck even this thread is dedicated to that very subject lol. imho

• Love 1

Yes, some people do like gossip, but if one looks at hard numbers (circulation numbers, site visitors and other statistics) it's clear that the gossip lovers are not a significant percentage of the overall TV and movie watching population. Even this thread is of interest to only tiny percentage of all the people who visit ptv. About 230 posts over the course of a year is nothing compared to the traffic on a single GoT episode thread, for example.

There's a reason Archie Panjabi doesn't write a tell-all, right? She wants to work in Hollywood again at some point, and she doesn't want her future producers/showrunners/coworkers to think she's the sort who goes and blabs her fellow actors' secrets to the world. It might not necessarily be nondisclosure agreements (I don't think I've heard of people signing NDAs to not discuss on-set gossip, but who knows, maybe they do), but it's more like an...unspoken agreement that you don't go talking about your costars all over the place. 

• Love 7
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:34 AM, yourpointis said:

Then here's a podcast for you: http://podbay.fm/show/858124601

Have a fun trip down the rabbit hole

• Love 1

I know when Tiffani-no-longer-Amber-Thiessen started on BH90210, her and Jennie Garth didn't get along, which was more Jennie than Tiffani. But then they became best friends and all seemed good.

And then some falling out happened and they no longer speak. Kind of curious to know the details there. All Tiffani has publicly said is they had a falling out and grew apart, and that she was the hurt party in the fallout. 

Then again, I know Vanessa Marcil had issues with Jennie and Tori while on the show too, so maybe it isn't too surprising. It was apparently known on set that JG and TS were not the nicest to new females who joined the show. 

• Love 1

The way that Jennie and Tori treated Tiffani and Vanessa made me think that the stories about Shannen being 100% to blame for the tensions behind the scenes were way exaggerated.  And I really want to know what happened between Jennie and Tiffani when their friendship fell out.  I know that Tiffani and Tori stopped being friends after Tori cheated on her first husband, as Tiffani introduced them but I feel like the Jennie falling out must be pretty bad and I want details.  Tori released a couple books where she goes in detail about how shitty she was to her first husband so maybe Jennie will follow suit.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The way that Jennie and Tori treated Tiffani and Vanessa made me think that the stories about Shannen being 100% to blame for the tensions behind the scenes were way exaggerated.  And I really want to know what happened between Jennie and Tiffani when their friendship fell out.  I know that Tiffani and Tori stopped being friends after Tori cheated on her first husband, as Tiffani introduced them but I feel like the Jennie falling out must be pretty bad and I want details.  Tori released a couple books where she goes in detail about how shitty she was to her first husband so maybe Jennie will follow suit.

Agreed. While I am sure that the cast had their issues with Shannen, the fact that Tiffani and Vanessa were both treated badly by Jennie and Tori speaks volumes about who else had diva-like behavior on set.

And I forgot that Tiffani introduced Tori to her first husband. It makes sense that they don't speak anymore. I really don't normally care too much about celeb feuds, but like you, I really want to know what went down between Jennie and Tiffani. From them to go from BFF's who were in each other's weddings and Tiffani being there for the birth of Jennie's first kid to no longer speaking at all indicates that it wasn't just some small spat, but something pretty big. 

I know Tiffani worked with Peter Facinelli on Fastlane, but that was in '02 and he and Jennie didn't split until like 2012-ish? I think anyway. I remember hearing rumblings of rumors having to do with that, but who knows. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well my almost last reason to watch the show is gone.  Now if AJ Cooke could pull someone's hair......

I wrote pretty much that elsewhere. After Patinkin left he was my only reason to watch (although I do adore Cook). I still could not make it past two seasons after Patinkin. Now I know I won't be going back at all. Still sucks that violence was iinvolved though.

8 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Observation, and I'm not really the first one who said it since another poster said it in the CM forum, but its hilariously grotesque that a show about serial killers goes balls-to-the-wall over two grown ass men having an argument.

Assaulting a coworker will get you fired pretty much everywhere. Firing a violent person is the responsible thing to do. He was a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Love 12

I'd lose the right to call myself a grown-ass woman if my response to an argument with a co-worker was to kick her/him.  I'd also lose my job.  In fact, I'd have lost my job the first time around, when I shoved someone.  He's lucky they kept him around after that.

I've never seen him in anything other than Dharma & Greg, so I sort of think of him as that character; that makes this jarring.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, orza said:

Assaulting a coworker will get you fired pretty much everywhere. Firing a violent person is the responsible thing to do. He was a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Then they likely should have shitcanned Virgil Williams, the writer in question, as well. I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but AFAIK Gibson isn't known for assaulting his co-workers for no reason. He's been with the show since the first episode, and I don't think there's been any mention until now of this "violent streak" of his. I will now wait patiently while two dozen examples of such are provided.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Then they likely should have shitcanned Virgil Williams, the writer in question, as well. I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but AFAIK Gibson isn't known for assaulting his co-workers for no reason. He's been with the show since the first episode, and I don't think there's been any mention until now of this "violent streak" of his. I will now wait patiently while two dozen examples of such are provided.

I can't think of any reason to assault a coworker no matter how heated the argument gets. It doesn't matter what the writer said to Gibson. There is no excuse for assault. I won't even put up with yelling matches at work. I've fired an employee for losing his temper and screaming at people. I expect people to have control of themselves and be professional at all times. Anyone who can't do that has no place at my company.

• Love 23

I know nothing about the show, the writer, Gibson, or details of the altercation, so this is coming from zero, but it's good to see that actions have repercussions. Too often in the entertainment world temper tantrums and childish behavior are tolerated because these are creative people who must be coddled and catered to. They're delicate flowers communing with their internal muses, y'all!

• Love 12

Then they likely should have shitcanned Virgil Williams, the writer in question, as well.

Why? Unless Virgil Williams became physical first - which I highly doubt, considering Gibson doesn't even allude to it in his released statement, and why wouldn't he if it exonerated him? - there was no reason for Gibson to lay a finger (or a foot, as it were) on him. I also highly doubt that the show heard about the incident and then immediately fired Gibson without conducting an investigation, interviewing witnesses, etc. ETA: I read about that one anonymous source claiming that Virgil "made a move" towards Gibson that the latter supposedly perceived as a threat. But I have my doubts about that. Not that Virgil might have been a macho jackass, but that Gibson legitimately saw anything as a threat. Hollywood isn't like high school with its shitty zero tolerance policy punishing people acting out in self-defense, at least not where its main stars are concerned.

Anyway, according to People, this is the second time Gibson is alleged to have gotten into a physical altercation with a staffer. And even if it weren't, who gives a shit? A grown-ass man shouldn't need a ~warning to let him know that hitting/kicking someone is wrong. I'd be out on my ass the first time I ever tried that with any of my coworkers. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, galax-arena said:

Anyway, according to People, this is the second time Gibson is alleged to have gotten into a physical altercation with a staffer. And even if it weren't, who gives a shit? A grown-ass man shouldn't need a ~warning to let him know that hitting/kicking someone is wrong. I'd be out on my ass the first time I ever tried that with any of my coworkers. 

From Variety:

"Gibson is also known to have had an violent outburst involving a “Criminal Minds” assistant director in 2010, which resulted in the studio sending him to anger-management classes...As word of his suspension from the show spread earlier this week, numerous industry sources have noted that Gibson was known to be a volatile presence on the “Criminal Minds” set. The actor was said to have frequently been verbally abusive to fellow cast and crew members. One source with knowledge of the 2010 incident — which allegedly involved Gibson shoving the assistant director — said many staff members were dismayed that he was not let go at that time."

And to echo others, most of us would have gotten fired, probably after the first incident.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Then it  must really be bad that they are choosing to fire him.  He's generally considered the star of the show, and shows tend to protect their money makers.  If they are outright firing him and not circling the wagons to play this down, then I would venture to guess that must mean something even worse than a kick went down or there were more incidents than just this one.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Then it  must really be bad that they are choosing to fire him.  He's generally considered the star of the show, and shows tend to protect their money makers.  If they are outright firing him and not circling the wagons to play this down, then I would venture to guess that must mean something even worse than a kick went down or there were more incidents than just this one.

Or it just means that for whatever reason Williams has more clout than Gibson does, or maybe he's closer to the showrunner, and I see no reason not to believe that. If nothing else, it'll be just another reason for me not to watch the show next season, since except for MGG, Gibson was one of the reasons I was still hanging on. And the idiots on Tumblr are already screeching for A.J. Cook's character to be made team leader in his place, which would kill my interest altogether.

Or it just means that for whatever reason Williams has more clout than Gibson does, or maybe he's closer to the showrunner,

Or that he's not the one who physically assaulted a co-worker. 

Is there a report out there that this was mutual combat?  The articles posted here have all said Gibson kicked Williams, not the other way around.  If that's accurate, it's clear to me why Gibson was fired and Williams wasn't.

• Love 18

While I have no doubt that Williams is an ass and may have said some insulting/provocative things, physically assaulting a co-worker is something that usually gets people fired the first time it happens. Gibson got a more or less free pass from the show when a similar event occurred a few years ago, and for him to do this just seems incredibly stupid. I can sympathize with him feeling frustrated with a co-worker, especially one whose writing skills were total crap from what I've seen of the episodes he wrote. But, almost everybody at some point in the workplace has to tolerate arrogant, incompetent jerks. The solution is not to hit/kick the jerk, but to escalate the arrogance and incompetence higher up the food chain. Given that this is the entertainment industry, if Gibson had merely gone to twitter and given details of how much of an ass Williams was being and asked his fans to make their feelings known to the network, I'd be fine with that. But unless evidence emerges that the physical assault was on both sides, it's no surprise that only Gibson got fired. And if anything, Gibson's assault made it more likely that Williams will not get fired, which IMO he completely deserves on the basis of his craptastic writing. CBS is not going to want to get headlines for firing someone who was the victim of a physical assault on set.

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 6

I don't care what you say to someone, physical assault is not the correct response.   If it's true that Willaims "made a move" I have to believe Gibson would have done more than kick him in the shin.   

Really, you shouldn't have to tell a grown up "no hitting your co-workers."

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Or it just means that for whatever reason Williams has more clout than Gibson does, or maybe he's closer to the showrunner, and I see no reason not to believe that.

I think the showrunner would have a hard time justifying that she's more important than the show's star much less a lower level staff writer/producer.  This would have had to get the studio's support which is probably why it started as a suspension before turning into an outright firing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the showrunner would have a hard time justifying that she's more important than the show's star much less a lower level staff writer/producer.  This would have had to get the studio's support which is probably why it started as a suspension before turning into an outright firing.

Virgil Williams is actually a 'he', and the showrunner seems to have been given carte blanche by the network in the past to play favorites among the cast members, so why not behind the scenes as well? I don't have any proof of that, but as per this conversation I guess I don't really need proof. If we accept that Gibson has been a problem before this, then we could also accept that the showrunner favors some people over others and is less inclined to fire them.

Further, Williams has a reputation on social media as being aggressive, which to me sounds like code for "asshole". He's also rumored to be pretty immature as far as criticism of his writing goes, which I guess is where that aggression comes from. The showrunner has the habit of giving people with no writing experience jobs penning episodes, hiring them from the production staff. I've heard that some producers are knowledgeable about such things, but some.....aren't. IMO, Williams is one of those people.

I don't know. It's over and done, and I guess more people are happy about it than aren't happy about it. Personally its a little depressing that I'm seeing so many posts, not just here but elsewhere, applauding the network's decision to let Gibson go. I don't know what kind of issues he's having or isn't having or might be having, but I've watched these past few months while fellow former Criminal Minds co-star Nicholas Brendon falls apart, and it worries me more than it needs to.  I guess I'll have to remember that whole "not needing proof" thing the next time somebody else gets booted off of a show.

31 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Virgil Williams is actually a 'he', and the showrunner seems to have been given carte blanche by the network in the past to play favorites among the cast members, so why not behind the scenes as well? I don't have any proof of that, but as per this conversation I guess I don't really need proof. If we accept that Gibson has been a problem before this, then we could also accept that the showrunner favors some people over others and is less inclined to fire them..

I know Virgil Williams is a "he" but Erica Messer, the show runner, is a she. My point was that I don't think even she could win a "him or me" argument. And sure, she may play favorites creatively.  She also probably has the power to fire writers and people in the production staff.  Likely even low level actors.  But again, Thomas Gibson ain't nobody.  He has been the face of this show from the beginning.  If there are limits to this woman's power, I'd bet money that's it.

Further, Williams has a reputation on social media as being aggressive, which to me sounds like code for "asshole". He's also rumored to be pretty immature as far as criticism of his writing goes, which I guess is where that aggression comes from.

Fine but, as of now, it appears he hasn't kicked anyone whereas the other aggressive actor in this scenario, has reportedly done this before with someone not named Virgil.

The showrunner has the habit of giving people with no writing experience jobs penning episodes, hiring them from the production staff. I've heard that some producers are knowledgeable about such things, but some.....aren't. IMO, Williams is one of those people.

A quick Google search suggests that he wrote for 24 and was a writer/producer at ER for four years.  For all I know he's a talentless hack but inexperienced he is not.

I don't know. It's over and done, and I guess more people are happy about it than aren't happy about it. Personally its a little depressing that I'm seeing so many posts, not just here but elsewhere, applauding the network's decision to let Gibson go. I don't know what kind of issues he's having or isn't having or might be having, but I've watched these past few months while fellow former Criminal Minds co-star Nicholas Brendon falls apart, and it worries me more than it needs to.  I guess I'll have to remember that whole "not needing proof" thing the next time somebody else gets booted off of a show

I get feeling worried that his life might be in a spiral.  But I don't know what this "not needing proof" thing is about.  Firing a series star in the middle of filming a season is a pretty big deal that's going to cost the show money as they have to rewrite scripts, likely including the one currently in production. This isn't a court of law.  That tells me that they know it happened. 

• Love 17

I think it's the opposite of depressing that a lot of people are happy about the show's decision to let Gibson go. I like Hotch, or at least I liked him the last time I bothered checking out the show sometime back in season 6, but it's great that for once a Hollywood star is being held accountable for his behavior. (Sadly, I do think that if Gibson were a true A-lister like Christian Bale, this would have still been swept under the rug. But that's not a reason to keep Gibson on, it's a reason to continue pushing for accountability for everyone else.) 

I also don't know what the "lack of proof" is about. There's no dispute that Gibson kicked a staffer. As far as I'm aware, there's also no dispute that this is the second time he's become physical. The only thing there's really not any proof is the idea that he did it out of self-defense - people keep saying that Virgil is a macho asshole and I'm not disputing that, but I've noticed that they don't point out any history of violence of Virgil's part, they just say that he's into MMA, which is not the same thing - and in that case Gibson's past works against him. Like, is there cold hard video evidence that Gibson did this or that? No, apparently not. But I think this is an area where reasonable expectations/doubt come into play. We don't need to go all CSI effect up in here. And let's be real, the people wanting to handwave Gibson's behavior despite this being the second time he's lashed out would probably do the same thing with a video, anyway: "Oh, well, we don't know what Virgil did before the video was shot! He might have provoked him!"

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 23
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'd lose the right to call myself a grown-ass woman if my response to an argument with a co-worker was to kick her/him.  I'd also lose my job.  In fact, I'd have lost my job the first time around, when I shoved someone.  He's lucky they kept him around after that.

I've never seen him in anything other than Dharma & Greg, so I sort of think of him as that character; that makes this jarring.

I know! I had SUCH a crush on him on Dharma & Greg. This bums me out so much. :'( 

• Love 6
On August 11, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Minneapple said:

What the hell, Gibson KICKED the guy? Is this second grade?

I remember he also had a spat with Mandy Patinkin, to the point where they were refusing to work together.

Mandy Patinkin has quite a temper too from what I've read. That must be an eventful set.

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 3

Gibson and Patinkin have had issues getting along with each other going back to their days on Chicago Hope. And Patinkin is the one that ended up pretty much walking out on the show with no notice.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Gibson and Patinkin have had issues getting along with each other going back to their days on Chicago Hope. And Patinkin is the one that ended up pretty much walking out on the show with no notice.

I heard about their issues before. Interesting, since I found them to be the best parts of Criminal Minds. 

• Love 1