Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: Trivia And Other Gossip

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I'm glad you added the "boy" and "girl" descriptors, UYI, I wouldn't have had a clue about either otherwise.

Well, Bijou might have been easier--it's the French word for "jewel". 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, atomationage said:

I don't think Michelle is Mackenzie's mum.  I looked it up.  Her mum's name is Susan Adams

I always thought Michelle was her mother.  Dumb, me I guess.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I always thought Michelle was her mother.  Dumb, me I guess.

Nope; in fact, Michelle married John shortly they began a relationship while he was still technically married to Suzy; Michelle is also only about a decade or so older than Mack.

On 10/7/2016 at 0:51 AM, HunterHunted said:

I remember this feud. I was an AMC fan and I'm the same age as SMG. That feud was mostly one sided. SMG was a child actress for almost all of her AMC run. If she really had been the terror Lucci implied that she was, SMG would have been fired rather than have a 3 year run on the show. In what universe does a showrunner or producer decide to keep the teenager they hired a couple of months ago who is rude to their star of more than 20 years who was getting paid a million dollars a year? Lucci's bullshit story makes no fucking sense. I don't know that I'd even call it a feud when it was really a display of Lucci's insane ego and narcissism.

SMG joined the show to play Erica Kane's daughter  that she had given up for adoption. SMG's character, Kendall, was supposed to be roughly SMG's age. Erica became pregnant with Kendall when she was raped by a friend if her father when she was 14. First problem with the story is that Lucci insisted on playing 14 year old Erica in the flashback. This also made present day Erica 30 years old when Lucci was rounding in on 50. Fans protested that even though they loved La Lucci, there was no way she was believable as a 30 year old. Additionally, there were some date mismatches with the existing canon biography of Erica. So Kendall got a case of soap opera rapid aging syndrome. 15 year old SMG was now playing a character who was in her early 20s (21 or 22?). SMG looked every bit the teen that she was, but she managed to do some fantastic work. The year that SMG won an emmy for best young talent was the first year that Lucci had not been nominated. Suddenly, Kendall was written off the show.

Actually, I think Lucci had been overlooked the year before, as well. She got nominated several times before she finally won, but not all of her nods were back to back.

And yes, SMG is still friends with former AMC co stars Kelly Ripa, Eva La Rue*, and Sydney Penny, so obviously SOME people liked her on the show. And she was watching YEARS after she left, and even returned for a cameo during the show's final week on ABC in 2011! Not to mention she sent Alicia Minshew (Kendall 2.0) flowers when she first started on the show, and thought she was a great successor overall. 

*And by extension, Kelly's husband Mark, and Eva's ex-husband John--who were also her co stars on AMC. I want to say she's the godmother to Eva & John's daughter, too, but I could be wrong about that.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, GaT said:

I think the real shocker about Mackenzie Phillips is the 10 year incestual relationship she had with her father.

Sad to say,   considering how incredibly self-destructive Miss Phillips was for decades (even more so than the late Dana Plato yet  Miss Phillips somehow survived) AND the fact that she said, whilst he was living, that he had taught her how to shoot herself up with heroin when she was TEN, (with her upbringing making "Lord of the Flies" look like "Sesame Street"), that was NOT a shocker to me!

Anyway,  considering how Miss Phillips has in recent years helped others try to overcome their own self-destructive issues, I thought some positive trivia re her ancestry would be worth sharing.

Of course I agree with the firing of Gibson but for me that just means I don;t have to watch the show anymore.  He an  AJ Cook (I know that leaves me an unpopular opinion on the board) were the only two reasons I still watched the show.  I hope Gibson gets help because he is a good actor and AJ Cook finds a better show because I really like her as an actress but have come to loath Criminal  as Minds.   As for spats alot of stuff other people might have been blamed for due to "personality issues" might not have been so easy. I heard all the reasons Patinki left Criminal minds and now I wonder if Gibson's own personality issues had something to do with it as well.  

Being a big Star Trek fan I heard alot of rumors on all the reasons Jeri Ryan was unhappy on Voyager.  I never heard the one about Kate Mulgrew making her life difficult.  Not sure what it says about either woman but I still think Voyager was awesome.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Sad to say,   considering how incredibly self-destructive Miss Phillips was for decades (even more so than the late Dana Plato yet  Miss Phillips somehow survived) AND the fact that she said, whilst he was living, that he had taught her how to shoot herself up with heroin when she was TEN, (with her upbringing making "Lord of the Flies" look like "Sesame Street"), that was NOT a shocker to me!

Anyway,  considering how Miss Phillips has in recent years helped others try to overcome their own self-destructive issues, I thought some positive trivia re her ancestry would be worth sharing.

She has really turned her life around. It took a few relapses, unfortunately, for her to get there, but she has. And it's not like what happened with her and her dad was something she really wanted. John took advantage of his daughter while she was high, plain and simple. Her being an adult doesn't excuse what he did at all. 

• Applause 1

Celebrity roommates came to mind watching Al Gore speaking in Miami.

Al Gore and Tommy Lee Jones were roommates at Harvard

Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams were roommates at Julliard

Holly Hunter and Frances McDormand were roommates at the Yale Drama School

George W Bush and David Milch weren't roommates, but they were in the same fraternity together at Yale.

Kiefer Sutherland and Robert Downey Jr. were roommates before they became famous

Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman shared a one bedroom apartment in NYC

Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito also shared an apartment in NYC

• Love 2

The late Kathryn Joostin (spelling ?), who played the awesome Mrs. McClusky on Desperate Housewives, spilled a lot of T in an Emmy interview covering her career taped right before her death. Apparently Teri was the only main Housewife to show her some simple kindness. The others all hid from the cast in their luxurious trailers and obsessed over their makeup prior to every scene. And Nicolette was continuously late.

Apparently McClusky was called in for 8:30am on her last shooting day and was made to wait until late afternoon. Guess the set wasn't especially chummy.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Kiefer Sutherland and Robert Downey Jr. were roommates before they became famous

Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman shared a one bedroom apartment in NYC

Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito also shared an apartment in NYC

I didn't know any of those!

DdV & MD sound like an interesting pairing.

12 hours ago, atomationage said:

Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams were roommates at Julliard

Their friendship is truly one of my favorite Hollywood friendships. I know that in one of his early interviews after his accident, Christopher Reeve said that Robin Williams visiting him in the hospital to cheer him up was the first time he laughed since he was hurt. I also remember that Robin Williams quietly paid for some of Christopher Reeve's hospital bills (and maybe even the funeral, but I'm not as sure about that piece) towards the end of his life.  I feel like a sincere,  enduring friendship like that is rare in Hollywood, and so all the stories about the two of them are sweet to me. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

The late Kathryn Joostin (spelling ?), who played the awesome Mrs. McClusky on Desperate Housewives, spilled a lot of T in an Emmy interview covering her career taped right before her death. Apparently Teri was the only main Housewife to show her some simple kindness. The others all hid from the cast in their luxurious trailers and obsessed over their makeup prior to every scene. And Nicolette was continuously late.

Apparently McClusky was called in for 8:30am on her last shooting day and was made to wait until late afternoon. Guess the set wasn't especially chummy.

Interesting. There was a big divide on that set. It was Nicolette and Teri vs. Felicity, Marcia and Eva. There was definitely some jealously as Teri was the biggest star of the show when it started and then Felicity and Marcia ended up overshadowing her. 

I would love some BTS gossip from the Today Show and Morning Joe. Apparently, the entire cast hated Billy Bush and were thrilled to see him go and you could cut the tension with a knife on Morning Joe.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 5
On 10/3/2016 at 8:38 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

That reminds me of one of those facts I see pop up every so often - Betty White is older than sliced bread. She was born in 1922 and sliced bread was first sold by a Missouri bread company in 1928. 

LOL!  I love this.  I say this about my grandfather all the time - he was born in 1920.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It's/it was Joosten, with an EN not an IN. But you got close. And she seemed like an awesome lady. I didn't watch DH, but I loved her as the President's Executive Secretary, Mrs. Landingham, on The West Wing.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Of course I agree with the firing of Gibson but for me that just means I don;t have to watch the show anymore.  He an  AJ Cook (I know that leaves me an unpopular opinion on the board) were the only two reasons I still watched the show.  I hope Gibson gets help because he is a good actor and AJ Cook finds a better show because I really like her as an actress but have come to loath Criminal  as Minds.   As for spats alot of stuff other people might have been blamed for due to "personality issues" might not have been so easy. I heard all the reasons Patinki left Criminal minds and now I wonder if Gibson's own personality issues had something to do with it as well.  

I always chalked up Patinkin's departure to him because he pulled the same thing on Chicago Hope.  Never heard/paid attention to the Gibson stuff.  But I've always wondered if there was something toxic on the set/BTS of Criminal Minds because there has been an unusually high number of comings and goings with female cast members.  Not saying that it had to do with Gibson in anyway.  Just saying it was fishy.

• Love 6

I can't speak for later seasons, but IIRC, Ed Bernero at least was not pleased when CBS got rid of AJ and Paget. Isn't that why he left as showrunner? Up until that point, the female cast seemed pretty steady aside from Lola Glaudini. But yeah, something seemed to happen during/after season 6. 

AJ seems like the type who would stick with Criminal Minds forever because she's just in it for the steady paycheck. Nothing wrong with that. That's why Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have stuck with Supernatural so long too. If I were an actor, I'd definitely be more AJ/Jared/Jensen than, idk, any of the Roswell actors, who were rearing to move on to ~bigger and better things after season 1. 

Speaking of Roswell, god, I loved hearing about all the melodramatic pettiness and BTS bickering. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1

It wasn't even anything scandalous or noteworthy, which is what makes it so hilarious. Just a bunch of mostly newbie actors - I think Katherine Heigl was the most experienced of the "kids" - getting too big for their britches and having ego trips. By the third season none of them wanted to be there, I think they were pissed at the fans who kept running campaigns to save the show lmao.

Some of the cast members used to post on a board I frequented, Fanforum. Majandra and Brenden were IMO dicks. So was Brenden's manager, who also posted. 

I believe that Jason Behr was (is?) somewhat blacklisted from Hollywood because he sued his manager to get out of paying him, which put him on the bad side of a lot of Hollywood casting people. But looking at imdb, he's been in stuff since then, so who knows. He definitely pissed off some bigwigs though; I read some articles about the lawsuit where they quoted some big-time casting directors and the sentiment was, "What an ungrateful punk." 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, galax-arena said:

It wasn't even anything scandalous or noteworthy, which is what makes it so hilarious. Just a bunch of mostly newbie actors - I think Katherine Heigl was the most experienced of the "kids" - getting too big for their britches and having ego trips. By the third season none of them wanted to be there, I think they were pissed at the fans who kept running campaigns to save the show lmao.

Some of the cast members used to post on a board I frequented, Fanforum. Majandra and Brenden were IMO dicks. So was Brenden's manager, who also posted. 

I believe that Jason Behr was (is?) somewhat blacklisted from Hollywood because he sued his manager to get out of paying him, which put him on the bad side of a lot of Hollywood casting people. But looking at imdb, he's been in stuff since then, so who knows. He definitely pissed off some bigwigs though; I read some articles about the lawsuit where they quoted some big-time casting directors and the sentiment was, "What an ungrateful punk." 

It's seems Shiri Appleby seems to have done well for herself.

• Love 2
On 07/10/2016 at 7:57 AM, lordonia said:

The story goes that Kate Mulgrew was resentful of Jeri Ryan from the jump because of the way Ryan was added to the existing cast of Voyager at the expense of another actor. The tension reportedly got so bad that Ryan would be physically sick before they had scenes together. And you know what? All viewers ever saw onscreen was a caring, mentoring relationship between Janeway and Seven of Nine. So kudos and thanks to both of them for their professionalism.

Well if that's true, I'd say kudos to Jeri Ryan and a hearty 'screw you' to Kate Mulgrew for being so unprofessional behind the scenes. Being able to portray something on screen that you don't feel is all well and good,  but there's no excuse for being dreadful to someone else who is just trying to do their job. 

• Love 2

Princess Sparkle,

As long as you've brought up the late Robin Williams, Marlo Thomas shared this amazing story (and I don't see why she'd have made it up). Not only was he very generous with the fundraising and making commercials for St. Jude's but he was so invested in helping those cancer-fighting children that Mr. Williams actually gave one child his OWN personal childhood collection of toy soldiers. Yes, he could have easily just had his receptionist go online and/or call Toys R Us then had them just ship the child a collection of toy soldiers (and, no doubt, that child would have been quite touched by even that  gesture). However; according to Miss Thomas, Mr. Williams (who'd been an only child and himself had offspring) actually gave something he truly loved to a child who needed all the encouragement possible.  I have no idea the ultimate fates of either that child or the collection but I hope that this is something that folks think about even having to consider Mr. Williams's problems and the tragic end to his own life.

Oh,  and I'd like to imagine that somehow Christopher Reeve is flying around the cosmos with his cape trailing behind carrying Mr. Williams  in his favorite car  on his back whilst Mr. Williams is shouting 'Nanu! Nanu!' at the top of his lungs!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, galax-arena said:

This isn't even the half of it.

KH came onto the show kinda already upset that she wasn't the lead - that part went to Shiri Appleby - and she spent the better part of the series attempting to take over that lead spot in any way that she could.  One problem that happened between S1 and S2 was that part of the cast, KH, MD, EdR and BF banded together so to speak to ask for more screentime.  But basically they asked to take away Shiri's screentime and have that distributed amongst the rest of them.  They didn't touch or ask to infringe on Jason's time - just Shiri's.  Colin Hanks specifically stayed out of it, which is why I still love him to this day.  Majandra kinda made up for it after the fact, but at the time I remember being really annoyed with them for that - since they targeted Shiri for screen time and not JB.

Anyway - ratings dropped off severely in S2 (Shiri was sidelined) and suddenly, KH and EdR were far more outfront.  Someone did an analysis of screentime and they found that all of the actors had way more balanced screentime in S1 rather than S2, even though the studio's excuse for the blatant sidelining of Shiri (and even how the human cast was basically shoved in the background) was "we're an ensemble cast".

Also - I never fully confirmed this, but there was fan speculation based on rumors that Jason had approached Shiri in S1 romantically, but she shied away because she didn't want to date a coworker - and then eventually JB ended up with KH (we heard that Shiri actually did try to approach JB later - but he'd already moved on).  That was allegedly part of the reason why JB didn't really fight for Shiri in S2 when she became wallpaper.  

There was also the unfortunate consequence of JB and KH dating, in that they gave off incest vibes in scenes together - especially in S3.  Often times KH played Isabel as almost jealous of Max and any woman and Max came off as looking kinda jealous of Isabel and Jesse.  One thing that disgusted fans at one of the Roswell events was a spoof video they showed of an upcoming scene.  The scene was supposed to be a shocked Max and Isabel's parents watching a video where Isabel used her powers.  But at the fan event instead, they cut out the part where Isabel is using her powers and inserted Max and Isabel (who are supposed to be siblings) making out instead.  Fans were SO ANGRY about this because they'd been seeing incest vibes for months on the show (unwillingly) and didn't like that they inserted that video at a fan event.  

But the reason I have boycotted KH since Roswell is due to her actions in S2 and S3.  First, she's one of the main reasons why they killed off Alex rather than just wrote him out - and why we ended up with Jesse in S3.  She claimed that without a "hot" star, she couldn't reach the lead level she wanted to be on the show.  So, they killed off Alex rather than leave the door open in case Colin Hanks wanted to return.  But besides that - it was her demands in S3 that basically destroyed the format of the show and put too much Isabel in everyone's faces and the show fell into LAST PLACE in the ratings.  She wanted to be the star so badly that she shoved out Shiri (who was actually a ratings winner - see S2 toward the end where she was finally given a lead status back to raise the ratings in an attempt by showrunners not to get cancelled - Shiri led shows drove the ratings up over a million higher than they'd been when she'd been sidelined).

This is why I'm very sensitive to seeing lead actresses (this never seems to happen to men) getting sidelined or pushed out in favor of "busty" blondes like KH.  I can't stand her and couldn't have been happier to see her do all of the same kinds of things that pissed us off with her on Roswell on every show and movie she had since then.  I cackle with glee EVERY time one of her new shows/movies bombs.  I love that Shonda Rhimes sees right through her.  Plus she's not even a great actress.

I could go on and on about the BTS mess on Roswell but I'm trying to remember the good times.  That show ate my soul.

ETA:  Thanks for the bit about JB - I always wondered why he fell off so badly.  He's done stuff, but he was actually very talented and should have been way more successful than he ended up being.  That's a shame that he messed it up by suing his manager - that was actually a dumb move.  Hollywood is unforgiving when you screw up like that.  Although I cannot figure out why KH manages to still get opportunities at all - except that she created her own production company.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 16

Thank you phoenics and galax-arena  for the thoroug and entertaining info. My favorites on the show were Shiri,  Colin and I'm blanking on his name but he was the ex boyfriend  and was just on Revenge. So I'm glad to hear there isn't anything negative against them. But is it still ok that I thought Jason Behr was cute and had a smoking body?

• Love 2

Yeah, as far as I know, Shiri, Colin, and Nick weren't as bad as the others re: BTS drama, but I wasn't sure if that was because I was totally a Shiri/Liz fan back in the day, so naturally I was biased to see things in her favor lmao. 

(Yeah, yeah, I know Liz was the boring goody two shoes, but I was also a goody two shoes, so I ~related to her, dammit.)

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Thank you phoenics and galax-arena  for the thoroug and entertaining info. My favorites on the show were Shiri,  Colin and I'm blanking on his name but he was the ex boyfriend  and was just on Revenge. So I'm glad to hear there isn't anything negative against them. But is it still ok that I thought Jason Behr was cute and had a smoking body?

I still think JB is cute with a smoking body.  I laughed outloud during the S1 commentary when Majandra and Shiri were watching "Sexual Healing" and when Jason took off his shirt with Shiri, Majandra went, "Daaaaammmnnnn..." in this kind of shocked and reverent awe.  Shiri went "uh huh" and Majandra was like "I forgot..."

I rolled because that scene where Jason and Shiri appear to have the world spinning around them as they got close to making out (and were attempting not to) and Shiri helped Jason out of his shirt - THAT scene was - whew.  I was actually disappointed that Jason lost weight from then on to S3.  He got more cut, but he was amazing in S1.  *fans self*

That's why I'm so mad he isn't on my screen now.  I actually asked Shiri on twitter to do something to get him on UnREAL as her love interest.  She liked the tweet - dare I hope?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, phoenics said:

I still think JB is cute with a smoking body.  I laughed outloud during the S1 commentary when Majandra and Shiri were watching "Sexual Healing" and when Jason took off his shirt with Shiri, Majandra went, "Daaaaammmnnnn..." in this kind of shocked and reverent awe.  Shiri went "uh huh" and Majandra was like "I forgot..."

I rolled because that scene where Jason and Shiri appear to have the world spinning around them as they got close to making out (and were attempting not to) and Shiri helped Jason out of his shirt - THAT scene was - whew.  I was actually disappointed that Jason lost weight from then on to S3.  He got more cut, but he was amazing in S1.  *fans self*

That's why I'm so mad he isn't on my screen now.  I actually asked Shiri on twitter to do something to get him on UnREAL as her love interest.  She liked the tweet - dare I hope?

Yeah after all this talk I went to imdb and damn he still looks good. Thanks to number cruncher Nick Weschler he's a cutie too. 

If Shiri really did turn down Jason I give her props for turning that down. I would not have the will power.

And yes to getting him on unReal. 

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 2

I'm still mad at Fox for not including the cut lovemaking scene of Max/Liz from the Series finale "Graduation".  The word from the set was that it was so steamy they had a closed set for it.

I'm still salty we never got to see it.  So so salty.

• Love 5

@phoenics  You have a better memory than I do.  Basically what I remember about Roswell was that Heigl was a fame whore who would step on anyone to be the center of attention.  It was why I was so leery of Grey's Anatomy when it first came out and not surprised at all on the way she exited.

The only thing that surprised me at the time was that she was so gung ho to alienate Colin Hanks if only because of who his Dad is.

Actually the ruination of Roswell made me leery of any show any of these people were involved in except for CH and SA.  Grey's and Heigel.  Lost and EdR which lasted until OUAT.  Never watched Friday Night Lights because of Katims.  Had I realized Moore was doing BSG, I probably wouldn't have watched it. Once I figured it out it was too late for me and I listened to his podcasts with no little amount of trepidation.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

@phoenics  You have a better memory than I do.  Basically what I remember about Roswell was that Heigl was a fame whore who would step on anyone to be the center of attention.  It was why I was so leery of Grey's Anatomy when it first came out and not surprised at all on the way she exited.

The only thing that surprised me at the time was that she was so gung ho to alienate Colin Hanks if only because of who his Dad is.

Actually the ruination of Roswell made me leery of any show any of these people were involved in except for CH and SA.  Grey's and Heigel.  Lost and EdR which lasted until OUAT.  Never watched Friday Night Lights because of Katims.  Had I realized Moore was doing BSG, I probably wouldn't have watched it. Once I figured it out it was too late for me and I listened to his podcasts with no little amount of trepidation.

I actually refused to watch BSG because of Ron Moore.  I outright boycotted Gray's until Heigl was off (of all of them I hate her most).  I also wouldn't watch FNL because of Katims!  haha!  

EdR I finally forgave once she got on OUaT and hand-waved her "I saved Roswell" foolishness as young stupid naivete and parroting what some dumb producer told her.

I will never forget Ron Moore trying to explain away why they destroyed Roswell by giving the lead to KH in S3:  "She was going to leave if we didn't give her more time!" --> to which the fans were like, "Don't let the door hit her on her way out!"

You are 1000% correct about Hegl.  At one of the fan events where she pushed her way to read some note from the cast to the fans, she read it and *crickets*... she stalked off the stage, muttering that "I can't do a d@mn thing right for these people".

Whew - spilling tea is cathartic.

The only ones I like now are Shiri, CH and NW (I don't think Nick was involved in any foolishness).  JB I just feel sorry for because I thought he was more talented than to just fade away.  You would think Katims, Moore or even Frakes would step in and help him out with something.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

I also wouldn't watch FNL because of Katims!  haha!  

Your loss! FNL was a fantastic show. 

I always thought Katherine Heigl was the most talented actor of the teens on Roswell. But yeesh, the drama. And she repeated the dramatics on Grey's. I read that part of her issue was also her mom, who was her manager and known to be a nightmare, making demands right and left. Heigl had this huge movie career at her feet, but her behavior just turned so many people off. I believe the only reason she still gets any jobs is because she is considerably talented.

4 hours ago, galax-arena said:

Shiri also brought him as her +1 to some event recently, so it's good to see that whatever might have happened between them in the past, they're on good terms now. 

I saw the pics. It brought me back to the good old days of Dreamer shipping. I'm glad Shiri has also found a good, critically acclaimed show, though I know she's always worked fairly steadily. I gave up on UnREAL midway through last season, but now that they have a new showrunner I may give it another shot.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Is this a private members only tread? It seems fascinating but I have NO idea what shows you're writing about :) 

They're talking about Roswell. I never watched it, but yes, the gossip is interesting.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Thanks a bunch, Joe :) Never watched it either but how fun the behind-the-scene is...

I think Roswell wins hands down for most pervasive BTS gossip of any show I've ever watched.  It infiltrated every aspect of online fandom.  I think that happens when they can't keep it professional enough to avoid it causing onscreen changes.  And the BTS stuff destroyed the show.  Roswell was a toxic mix of shippers (hugely shippy fandom**) and actors sabotaging other actors and the couples they were part of (publicly), network interference, and showrunners that couldn't reign any of it in.

Here's a little gem from Roswell....Fehr (Michael and guy who played Booth's brother on Bones*) admitted a couple years ago he once was feeling too lazy to go to the bathroom, so Behr (Max and guy who played Buffy's ex from her old school*) paid him $100 to pee his pants on set.  And he did.

* I can't think of anything else people from Roswell might know them from.

And now I'm off to the shipping thread.....

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I think Roswell wins hands down for most pervasive BTS gossip of any show I've ever watched.  It infiltrated every aspect of online fandom.  I think that happens when they can't keep it professional enough to avoid it causing onscreen changes.  And the BTS stuff destroyed the show.  Roswell was a toxic mix of shippers (hugely shippy fandom**) and actors sabotaging other actors and the couples they were part of (publicly), network interference, and showrunners that couldn't reign any of it in.

Here's a little gem from Roswell....Fehr (Michael and guy who played Booth's brother on Bones*) admitted a couple years ago he once was feeling too lazy to go to the bathroom, so Behr (Max and guy who played Buffy's ex from her old school*) paid him $100 to pee his pants on set.  And he did.

* I can't think of anything else people from Roswell might know them from.

And now I'm off to the shipping thread.....

I remember that story about Brendan.  BTW, he was also on CSI:Miami - I think Alex Rodriguez helped him out with getting that part.  I also noticed him as a glorified extra on XMen First Class.

And Roswell can't hold a candle for BTS drama compared to The Bold and The Beautiful during the Hunter Tylo years.  Man - that was awful.  I was ecstatic when they killed Taylor off, brought her back to life only to drag her fake behind down off of her pedestal and then sent her packing again.  

• Love 2

I remember that story! Either Brenden or Majandra told that story as a "funny" anecdote on Fanforum. It backfired on them when a bunch of us were disgusted, telling them that it was a jerk move because the poor crew members had to stay late to clean up after their nasty asses. Majandra flipped her shit, saying that as actors they worked haaaaaaaaard and deserved to have a little fun. Because the crew members don't work just as hard, and for much less glory? Give me a break. 

• Love 7

Oh man, I didn't even watch Roswell except a few episodes casually and even I knew they were a trash fire of awfulness BTS.   And I didn't even know the details.  So thak you @phoenics for popcorn reading.  I dislike Katherine Heigl intensely and every time someone tries to blame the reaction to her on misogyny and how mean Shonda Rhimes is, I'm all ''but...but people have been pointing out her bad behavior since Roswell." It says a lot that SR would rather work with Isaiah Washington again than KH.

• Love 3

Heigl admitted she was bad during the Roswell years, but I think the Grey's stuff seems a bit exaggerated. I think part of it was Shonda's bruised ego. Also Heigl didn't leave to make movies, she left to be with her adoptive daughter because they were struggling to bond. She was supposed to come back full time after the Josh Duhamel movie. 

She's still friendly with many of the actors and has worked with Grey's writers and producers since then. Her new show has two people that worked on Grey's acting as showrunners and EPs. The fact that they're still willing to work with her tells me her behavior wasn't that bad or she's changed. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Stuffy said:

Heigl admitted she was bad during the Roswell years, but I think the Grey's stuff seems a bit exaggerated. I think part of it was Shonda's bruised ego. Also Heigl didn't leave to make movies, she left to be with her adoptive daughter because they were struggling to bond. She was supposed to come back full time after the Josh Duhamel movie. 

She's still friendly with many of the actors and has worked with Grey's writers and producers since then. Her new show has two people that worked on Grey's acting as showrunners and EPs. The fact that they're still willing to work with her tells me her behavior wasn't that bad or she's changed. 

That was what she was claiming but she signed up for more movies during that time which was why people were saying that was the reason. And there was nothing wrong with that except that she waited until after she renewed her contract (apparently also getting most of what she had asked for) to start asking for more time off.  She also whined and complained about her working hours along with insulting the writers publicly with her "I won't be submitting for an Emmy" mess. And she was branded as "difficult" for her behavior on Roswell, Grey's and signing up for "sexist" movies then bitching about them after cashing her million dollar checks. So while she may have changed, I don't blame Shonda or anyone else who don't want to work with her again. 

• Love 7

Except movies are different than tv shows there's a lot of sitting around and doing nothing. They also don't film for six months like Grey's. 

She was joking about the hours thing, but everyone was already pissed at her about other stuff. I saw that Letterman episode. People made a big deal about nothing. Tv actors have been complaining about their hours for years, but suddenly it's a big deal when Heigl jokes about it. 

She's a loud mouth but people have gotten away with far worse behavior. Also her character operated on a freaking deer and had ghost sex. What she said about the writing was nothing compared to what the media and fans of the show were already saying. 

We're not going to agree on this, so I'm just going to let it go. I think she was treated unfairly harsh for just having an opinion.  

• Love 9
On 10/14/2016 at 6:14 AM, NutMeg said:

Is this a private members only tread? It seems fascinating but I have NO idea what shows you're writing about :) 

That's because people use fan shorthand and initials, which makes it difficult for "outsiders" to follow. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Except movies are different than tv shows there's a lot of sitting around and doing nothing. They also don't film for six months like Grey's. 

She was joking about the hours thing, but everyone was already pissed at her about other stuff. I saw that Letterman episode. People made a big deal about nothing. Tv actors have been complaining about their hours for years, but suddenly it's a big deal when Heigl jokes about it. 

She's a loud mouth but people have gotten away with far worse behavior. Also her character operated on a freaking deer and had ghost sex. What she said about the writing was nothing compared to what the media and fans of the show were already saying. 

We're not going to agree on this, so I'm just going to let it go. I think she was treated unfairly harsh for just having an opinion.  

I'm not trying to argue with you either, I just believe that she was the cause of her own downfall. I also saw the Letterman episode and while she was laughing, her words were "I'm going to put Shonda on blast". The fact that she felt that she should put her boss "on blast" in a public setting showed her lack of professionalism.

And while fans and media people were criticising the storylines, they weren't criticising THEIR boss, the person signing their check.

Another thing is that Grey's may shoot for 6 months, I'm not sure about that, but it's not without breaks and she wasn't the lead which meant that she would've had more time off than when she was doing back to back movies which are 3 months shoots for each where she's the lead and getting the bulk of screen time.

Edited by allyw
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Stuffy said:

I really disliked Heigl during her Roswell run.  In spite of myself, I really liked Izzie and Alex/Izzie on Grey's Anatomy.  Grey's was a perfect opportunity for the Roswell diva bullshit to reoccur but I never really heard of her going after Ellen Pompeo or Sandra Oh like she did her costars on Roswell.  So maybe she grew up a little.

Personally, I think that Shonda Rhimes held a grudge over the Isaiah Washington fallout.  Heigl publically, and rightly, came out in support of T.R. Knight during that mess.  She didn't exactly say anything directly against Rhimes.  But it didn't exactly come across as a ringing endorsement of how Rhimes handled the show or the scandal.  I fully believe that Rhimes would never have taken any action against Washington and that she had her hand forced to remove him from the show by the network.  TR Knight left.  And with a few more shows under her belt Rhimes has said something along the lines of 'I don't have to put up with assholes' regarding certain departures/never-going-to happen returns (which seemed clearly about Heigl and Dempsey to me).  But Washington came back.

I think that Heigl regretted resigning and wanted to leave whether it was about her child or movie career or because of the show's quality, I don't know.  I think Rhimes was looking for an excuse to let her leave if she didn't want to be there.  Heigl provided the opportunity for them to part ways by publicly discussing her displeasure with the writers/show.

Her biggest problem was that the movies that came out post- Grey's didn't exactly take the world by storm.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Personally, I think that Shonda Rhimes held a grudge over the Isaiah Washington fallout.  Heigl publically, and rightly, came out in support of T.R. Knight during that mess.  She didn't exactly say anything directly against Rhimes.  But it didn't exactly come across as a ringing endorsement of how Rhimes handled the show or the scandal.  I fully believe that Rhimes would never have taken any action against Washington and that she had her hand forced to remove him from the show by the network.  TR Knight left.  And with a few more shows under her belt Rhimes has said something along the lines of 'I don't have to put up with assholes' regarding certain departures/never-going-to happen returns (which seemed clearly about Heigl and Dempsey to me).  But Washington came back.

I don't believe Shonda had a grudge.  I do head wank that the Network and the show had decided to try to handle stuff behind the scenes and to downplay everything.  But you are right, that does not seem to have set well with Heigl and Knight.  But the fact of the matter is right or wrong or how righteous your indignation, no matter if you are an actress on a big tv show or just a lowly secretary in a janky payday loan office in some bombed on strip mall, you don't contravene a directive your boss makes and you don't publicly put them on blast.  If you do,  then you live with the consequences of your actions and a lot on that is on you.

I mentioned this in the Grey's threads, but Shonda is the only black female showrunner on a major network.  The first have the profile she does and when all this went down she didn't have anywhere near the clout she does now.  The pressure on her not to fuck up would have been immense.  Where white male showrunners can do all sorts of things and get away with them and still land job after job after job, Shonda did not have that luxury.  She could not be shown to have her show look like the inmates had escaped the asylum.  It indicated she had no control.

I think it is fun to put all sorts of nefarious motivations on her as this big bad putting the hammer down on Heigl, but I think the truth is much more complex than that.  After all, Heigl continued on the show as good three seasons after all that stuff went down and in a storyline that was pretty sympathetic to her.  I remember SR saying they did everything they could to accommodate Heigl's foray into films and tried to work with her on her schedule outside of Grey's.  So after all that,  for KH to give a Vanity Fair interview and say some bad things about the show, and her character just speaks to someone who just seems entitled.  I imagine that she felt she had hit the big time with movies and could burn bridges at that point.  But that just isn't cool. 

I mean there is a reason she was doing kitty litter commercials for awhile and it can't all be laid at Shonda's feet.

• Love 15