Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: Trivia And Other Gossip

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, festivus said:

They did mention that she stopped following him too. I wonder if it was at the same time or later. 

This one mentioned it in passing but not in a they must be feuding manner and many others do not mention it. Also, who knows if they ever followed each other to begin with, people just noticed that they weren’t and it became a thing several times it has turned out that the people never actually followed one another not that their stopped.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I'd say they probably all followed one another especially since the show came back. Fans would notice if she stopped following him because when you follow a checked account it will tell you what other checked accounts follow them if it's someone you follow.

There was a different article linked in the Will & Grace thread that also mentioned her not following Sean anymore. I didn't follow any of them but I actually do want to follow Eric and Megan so I guess I'm off to do that now.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, festivus said:

There was a different article linked in the Will & Grace thread that also mentioned her not following Sean anymore. I didn't follow any of them but I actually do want to follow Eric and Megan so I guess I'm off to do that now.

Does that article characterize Sean and Megan being in a feud because they don’t follow each other? That was my point with how the media treats it differently. I haven’t seen any articles suggesting they are in a feud only her and Debra.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Here's the other article which just says the same thing.

Earlier this year, fans took notice when Mullally and costar Debra Messing unfollowed each other on Instagram; Mullally has also stopped following costar Sean Hayes.

That's all it says. If I had to speculate I'd say maybe her and Debra got into it and Sean chose a side. Who knows, I doubt we'll get any dirt on this story.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

My opinion: It’s probably not a huge deal, like the media’s claiming it is, really, because I’d bet Megan’s probably been excused from/missed other eps (at least during the original run of the series). 

I think the only episodes any of the stars missed in the original run were when Debra Messing was pregnant during season 6.  She missed some time early in her pregnancy (though sometimes they had scenes they had filmed of her separately), and she had to go on bed rest toward the end of the season and miss the last three episodes.

• Love 1

Although she initially rejected the offer of the role of Dorothy Zbornak thinking it would be a Maude rehash with Rue McClanahan playing a twittery Vivianne all over again, until Miss McClanahan set her straight and said she'd play the vamp while Betty White would play the more naive roomie, it's hard to imagine that anyone else beside Bea Arthur could have played the iconic Golden Girl

However; no less than  the renowed stage performer Elaine Stritch was offered the role . Miss Stritch, being the outspoken no-holds-barred person she was,  thought she'd be a perfect fit for the zinging, razor-sharp 60-something divorcee. Alas, at the table reading she not only ad-libbed rather than stuck to the script but  managed to drop a an f-bomb in the process which did NOT impress the powers that be. She told the story herself in her one-woman autobio stage show in which she admitted that 'Yes, I  BLEW IT!' and kicked herself for missing out on this multi-year, multi-million $ deal- yet she knew there were other roles in the offing and made the best of things instead of nursing her wounds over this. 

Edited by Blergh
vital name
  • Useful 5
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

However; no less than  the renowed stage performer Elaine Stritch was offered the role . Miss Stritch, being the outspoken no-holds-barred person she was,  thought she'd be a perfect fit for the zinging, razor-sharp 60-something divorcee. Alas, at the table reading she not only ad-libbed rather than stuck to the script but  managed to drop a few f-bombs in the process which did NOT impress the powers that be. She told the story herself in her one-woman autobio stage show in which she admitted that 'Yes, I  BLEW IT!' and kicked herself for missing out on this multi-year, multi-million $ deal- yet she knew there were other roles in the offing and made the best of things instead of nursing her wounds over this. 

Elaine would have been good, but I liked the vulnerability and gentle strength that Bea Arthur brought to the role. And Sophia’s zingers wouldn’t have been as funny because Elaine would always be ready with a funny clap-back of her own or a ‘screw you’ glance. I prefer Dorothy’s “Ma!!!!” 

• Love 13

topanga,

Good point re Miss Stritch likely being unable to bring true vulnerability to the table re Sophia and I'm not even sure she could have brought the needed affection for her- or the other Girls (which, regardless of how Miss Arthur's feelings about the other cast members, her Dorothy DID have warmth towards the other characters- even when putting them down and being annoyed with them)! 

Of course, Miss Getty also said that Sophia was a favorite of children because they LOVED seeing this tiny person occasionally dominate the towering Dorothy! While Miss Stritch was taller than average, I don't think she was quite as tall as Miss Arthur was and that might not have been as humorous to the kids. 

Yes, it may have been laughing to keep from crying at first but at least Miss Stritch WAS eventually able to laugh at it and make it a highlight of her show (which she could have avoided mentioning altogether). 

• Love 7

I didn't know where to put this post, but he makes a valid point about lead actresses on shows needing time to relax in their weekly schedule and that's why they can't be in EVERY scene!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I didn't know where to put this post, but he makes a valid point about lead actresses on shows needing time to relax in their weekly schedule and that's why they can't be in EVERY scene!

Boo fucking hoo.  Lots of people work 12+ hour days without a break because they have a family to support or even just themselves.  All while making minimum wage, and without someone watching out for their well-being. Cry me a river.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

So does this mean lead male actors need ZERO time to relax while their female counterparts need extra time? Something doesn't add up here. 

• Love 5

No.  He addresses that later in the thread and says this is obviously true of all leading actors, he just used ‘actresses’ as      a descriptor.

There is a later thread about guest actors where he uses non-binary language because I guess people were so thrown by him using ‘actress’ in the first thread.

I have really enjoyed his ‘demystifying’ hollywood threads.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

And Angela Lansbury could do 13 seasons of Murder She Wrote in her 60s because a large chunk of each episode is devoted to the drama played out by guest stars. That's why a lot of older stars do mystery shows!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
On 2/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, merylinkid said:

But the solution isn't "okay burn everyone out because some people have to work really hard."   The solution is set up a system where people don't have to work 12 hours days without a break.   Also that is 12 hours of shooting.   That doesn't include everything else that goes into it.   So its more like 16-18 hour days.   But again, this is not a "well everyone can't have something so  nobody should have it" situation.   

Fair enough, but this still does not make me feel sorry for their "unbearable" workload.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, cynicat said:

Fair enough, but this still does not make me feel sorry for their "unbearable" workload.

Who said it was unbearable? Did I miss a quote? 
He not asked people to feel sorry for the actors just requesting that fans stop bitching when their favorite characters or storylines are not in more scenes. 

On 2/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, VCRTracking said:

Do you know what this was in response to? Many of the responses mention characters that really do not seem to apply to the original tweet. 
ETA: Nevermind. I saw his tweets where he said he wasn’t referring to any specific show. Too bad so many people had to attack him over shows he’s not involved in and are not remotely what he was talking about. 

Edited by Guest

Does anyone here have any ideas why Anthony Tyler Quinn parted ways with Boy Meets World after Season Four? 

He said he was proud of his role as the cool, but sincerely caring and diligent teacher Mr. Turner and all the then-teen castmates have said they enjoyed working with him . Rider Strong ( Shawn Hunter) said he was disappointed that they had Mr. Turner no longer depicted right after he barely survived a motorcycle accident that cathartically  forced Shawn to take stock of his own life. 

• Love 1

Does anyone here have any ideas why Anthony Tyler Quinn parted ways with Boy Meets World after Season Four? 

He said he was proud of his role as the cool, but sincerely caring and diligent teacher Mr. Turner and all the then-teen castmates have said they enjoyed working with him . Rider Strong ( Shawn Hunter) said he was disappointed that they had Mr. Turner no longer depicted right after he barely survived a motorcycle accident that cathartically  forced Shawn to take stock of his own life. 

I always wondered about that.  His departure from the show was so abrupt ending the father/son dynamic between Shawn and Turner without closure.  Turner did guest appear on Girl Meets World a few times and got reunited with Shawn in that show’s finale.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

In the Boy Meets World revival series Girl Meets World, of the two sets of adult couples of Cory Matthews & Topanga Lawrence-Matthews and Shawn Hunter & Katy Hart Hunter, the iconic,rootless character of Shawn Hunter was the only one of the four who wasn't a parent, yet  the performer who played him (Rider Strong) is the only one of the four who had actually become a parent by the time of the show's production. Danielle Fishel (Topanga) has since become a parent  since the latter show's demise while neither Ben Savage(Cory) nor Cheryl Texiera (Katy) have as yet done so.

• Love 1

The actor who played Mr. Turner left the show to star in a short-lived TV show called Ask Harriet, where he played a sports journalist who dresses up as a woman to get a job as an advice columnist. Because as we all know, it's easier for women to get jobs over white men. You haven't lived until you've seen Mr. Turner dressed up like a long Island minx. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The actor who played Mr. Turner left the show to star in a short-lived TV show called Ask Harriet, where he played a sports journalist who dresses up as a woman to get a job as an advice columnist. Because as we all know, it's easier for women to get jobs over white men. You haven't lived until you've seen Mr. Turner dressed up like a long Island minx. 

Gee, I had no idea that that had happened. Too bad for the continuity of Boy Meets World ( though I think even with that development, they could and should have done a better job addressing Mr. Turner's not being there). Yes, a performer's acting choices are their own but I  can't say I'm surprised that Mr. Quinn hasn't bragged up the latter role unlike his time in BMW

BTW, this concept wasn't  original as there was a 1954-1955 sitcom called Dear Phoebe in which a man gets hired to write   an advice column on a newspaper that had also hired a woman to write their sports column. No neither of them wore drag and everyone on staff knew the actual genders of these scribes but the premise was that everyone had to keep said genders a secret from the general public. The protagonist was played by (of all people) Peter Lawford and this was a project financed by his then father-in-law Joseph Kennedy to provide a steady income for Mr. Lawford and his wife Pat.

Interesting that even with the hook of drag thrown in, Ask Harriet seems to have wound up sputtering out even faster than the decades ' earlier production.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2020 at 7:46 AM, cynicat said:
On 2/22/2020 at 5:44 PM, VCRTracking said:

Read more  

Boo fucking hoo.  Lots of people work 12+ hour days without a break because they have a family to support or even just themselves.  All while making minimum wage, and without someone watching out for their well-being. Cry me a river.

Aside from just, nobody should have to work 12 hour+ days for minimum wage w/o anyone watching out for their well-being (I mean for christ's sake!), one of the reasons people do it (as I did in struggling times when I was younger) is because people who work jobs like that are instantly replaceable by other equally desperate people, so you just put up with it since for the moment you need the money and the boss has no need to negotiate.

Actors and actresses in hit shows are CARRYING the show and ensuring its success, meaning the jobs of all the other people who work on it.  It's stupid not to make sure the star doesn't break down from exhaustion.  It's not just her/him, it's everybody else that the show employs that will be affected.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 15

On last night Stephen Colbert's show (April 1,2020), our host claimed that when he was a teen he auditioned for a part in Saved By the Bell but was told that he didn't get the part because he was too over-the-top and unsubtle. The part he supposedly auditioned for was SCREECH! So if the claim is true either he somehow made Dustin Diamond seem Shakespearean OR the show's PTB soon dropped the idea of a well-rounded,deep character.

If what he said was true, it seems he not only dodged a bullet via not being a part of what seems to have often been a nightmare of a production to have worked on but he definitely has fared FAR better than Mr. Diamond in recent years! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

On last night Stephen Colbert's show (April 1,2020), our host claimed that when he was a teen he auditioned for a part in Saved By the Bell but was told that he didn't get the part because he was too over-the-top and unsubtle. The part he supposedly auditioned for was SCREECH! So if the claim is true either he somehow made Dustin Diamond seem Shakespearean OR the show's PTB soon dropped the idea of a well-rounded,deep character.

If what he said was true, it seems he not only dodged a bullet via not being a part of what seems to have often been a nightmare of a production to have worked on but he definitely has fared FAR better than Mr. Diamond in recent years! 

Screech didn’t become a live action cartoon until later. The character was originally (which was on Good Morning Miss Bliss), just a dorky kid. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
13 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Screech didn’t become a live action cartoon until later. The character was originally (which was on Good Morning Miss Bliss), just a dorky kid. 

I got what you're saying but it seems a bit much in hindsight that they'd have turned down at least one other aspiring performer for being over the top! Well, I still say Mr. Colbert has fared far better than Mr. Diamond in the ensuing years- possibly due to the former NOT getting the job! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

Or, since this was the April 1 show, it might have been a prank.

Possibly  (which is why I kept  saying claimed)  but   it makes an interesting tale.

P.S. If it WAS a prank, at least it was about something harmless and WAY in the past ! 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

The most unbelievable part of the story is that Colbert auditioned as a teenager. He would have been in his mid-20’s when 12 year old Dustin Diamond started playing Screech. 

(edited)

I'm not going to pretend that Will Friedel has always been a saint nor always treated every other cast member fairly (though he HAS publicly apologized for a boorish comment he made long ago).

However, even with the above said, in retrospect it is rather infuriating that during the last season of Boy Meets World, Mr. Friedel had had severe anxiety attacks and was prescribed meds for it. Those meds   caused him to gain about 30 pounds- yet the show had other characters react to that weight gain as though Eric    gone on a milkshake and cheeseburger diet even going so far as to have his usually fair and understanding dad Alan tag Eric as 'tubby'! BOO!!!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5

I'm not going to pretend that Will Friedel has always always a saint nor always treated every other cast member fairly (though he HAS publicly apologized for the boorish comment he made long ago).

However, even with the above said, in retrospect it is rather infuriating that during the last season of Boy Meets World, Mr. Friedel had had severe anxiety attacks and was prescribed meds for it. Those meds   caused him to gain about 30 pounds- yet the show had other characters react to that weight gain as though Eric    gone on a milkshake and cheeseburger diet even going so far as to have his usually fair and understanding dad Alan tag Eric as 'tubby'! BOO!!!

That makes the episode when Eric and Topanga decide to go on a diet together really insensitive.

• Love 14
On 5/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, Luckylyn said:

That makes the episode when Eric and Topanga decide to go on a diet together really insensitive.

EXACTLY! Especially  when one considers the Mr. Friedel had gained weight solely due to  the medication that he ,at the time, sincerely believed he needed to take in order to be able to continue to participate on the show (to say nothing of being able maintain his livelihood). IOW, if he hadn't done so, he may have stayed slim but been unable to perform his role ( and worse).

P.S. And Miss Fishel was not coat-hanger thin but NEVER was overweight so a DOUBLE BOO to them!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Love 9
(edited)

I was a big fan of MURDER ONE, the short-lived Stephen Bochco produced mid 90s courtroom drama that was ahead of it's time in serialized storytelling on prime time TV. I always wondered why they replaced the lead actor the next season. Was he difficult like David Caruso? Did he ask for more money? This article gives the answer and I would have never guessed it in a million years!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5997441/Steven-Bochco-fired-Daniel-Benzali-Murder-One-morning-dumps.html

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I was a big fan of MURDER ONE, the short-lived Stephen Bochco produced mid 90s courtroom drama that was ahead of it's time in serialized storytelling on prime time TV. I always wondered why they replaced the lead actor the next season. Was he difficult like David Caruso? Did he ask for more money? This article gives the answer and I would have never guessed it in a million years!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5997441/Steven-Bochco-fired-Daniel-Benzali-Murder-One-morning-dumps.html

I LOVED the first season of Murder One (and the show has one of the best theme songs ever), but after that, it wasn't that good. I wondered why they got rid of Daniel Benzali, so it's nice to finally know the reason. Even if it's incredibly stupid. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

13 hours ago, GaT said:

I LOVED the first season of Murder One (and the show has one of the best theme songs ever), but after that, it wasn't that good. I wondered why they got rid of Daniel Benzali, so it's nice to finally know the reason. Even if it's incredibly stupid. 

I loved Murder One! The first season was great. But yeah after that it went down hill. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2015 at 10:46 AM, SmithW6079 said:

The title after Valerie's Family was actually The Hogan Family. It started as, simply, Valerie. At some point, as I remember (& I did watch the show in all its incarnations), Sandy Duncan joined the cast as the new "maternal" figure

Hogan! That was it, not Harpers. I was too lazy to confirm the name. Thanks. I, too, watched most of the incarnations.

Harper was Valerie’s last name in real life.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Harper was Valerie’s last name in real life.

They should have just called it "The Jason Bateman Show" because he was the reason it was still able to go on. He had comic chops even as a teenager.

• Love 11
(edited)

Glee is one show I'd love to see a Behind the Music for. I bet Dianna Agron would have some good things to say, if she would talk at all. Melissa Benoist has also reportedly liked some of the anti-Lea tweets. And then there's Heather Morris, who's all casually, "yeah, she was hateful to everyone, not just the black people." 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 11
(edited)

While I totally believe that Lea Michele is a huge bitch, let her fame go to her head, and Ryan Murphy should have kept Lea's behavior in check, it seems Samantha Ware did goof off during a particularly emotional scene that Lea Michele was doing, which pissed Lea off. I didn't like Lea's behavior when dealing with the situation afterward; she should have let the director know that Samantha goofing off is making it difficult to focus and have him/her take care of it, instead she beckons Samantha like she is a 5 year old and then threatens her job. However, in Lea's slight defense, Samantha wasn't acting professional in that instance and Samantha still dismisses the behavior even now. I don't know if she really thinks it was no big deal or if it because she hates Lea Michele, but a lot of actors, no matter what race, would be pissed if another actor wasn't in character during a scene filming, whether or not the camera was on them at that particular moment.

Samantha Ware - People Magazine

All of these stories coming out about Lea Michele, I hope that one change that comes out behind the scenes is show runner no longer treat some cast members poorly and some get a way with murder. This isn't the first time back stage shenanigans driving cast members crazy. On General Hospital, Genie Francis (Laura of Luke and Laura fame) was constantly demeaned and mistreated, despite being largely responsible for not only keeping GH from being cancelled, but skyrocketing it to number 1, more so than her own screen partner, Tony Geary, since the rise of the rating happening before he came on as Luke. Yet they called her fat (driving her to developing a drug problem) and made it clear that TG was the star. The treatment happened well into the 90s (where they forced her to leave All My Children to return as Laura) until she decided to walk when they wouldn't give her the same perks they were giving Tony. Meanwhile, Maurice Bernard and Steve Burton, were able to more or less rule the roost for decades. I haven't heard an particular bad behavior from either of them (they seemed well liked), but there have been times were they tanked pairings and refused to do certain storylines, not for moral reasons, but because they didn't want to act out certain scenes, while the less favored actors are forced to act widely out of character to the point they are written out of the show because were that trashed. And all of the show runners have made it clear who their favorites are, even if fan response and the ratings tell otherwise.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

However, in Lea's slight defense, Samantha wasn't acting professional in that instance and Samantha still dismisses the behavior even now.

No.  I disagree.  There is not slight defense here.  Lea went out of her way to publicly humiliate and then emotionally abuse a brand new actress on her first real gig.  Samantha doesn't say the scene was super emotional.  Only that the camera wasn't on her during the scene:

“When you’re shooting a scene, sometimes the camera is on you and sometimes it’s not, but you still have to be in the scene,” Ware says. “The camera wasn’t on us, so it’s not like we had to give a full throttle performance, but apparently, I was goofing around when the camera wasn’t on me, and she took that as me being disrespectful to her.”

Ware says no one voiced any concern with her, not even the director of the episode, so she was shocked when Michele called her out and reprimanded her.

I am sorry but this does not rise to the merit of stare downs, intimidation, or threats, or threatening to have someone fired.  If the show-runner or director (who are supposed to be the bosses) had no problem, then Lea was 100% out of pocket.  It is like if a co-worker who had the most seniority in my office, but not my direct supervisor had called me out and reprimanded me in front of other co-workers for not doing something correctly.

Sure, not being 100% in the scene if the camera isn't on you may not be completely professional, but  loudly threatening to shit in someone's wig also isn't the height of professional behavior either.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

No.  I disagree.  There is not slight defense here.  Lea went out of her way to publicly humiliate and then emotionally abuse a brand new actress on her first real gig.  Samantha doesn't say the scene was super emotional.  Only that the camera wasn't on her during the scene:

I am sorry but this does not rise to the merit of stare downs, intimidation, or threats, or threatening to have someone fired.  If the show-runner or director (who are supposed to be the bosses) had no problem, then Lea was 100% out of pocket.  It is like if a co-worker who had the most seniority in my office, but not my direct supervisor had called me out and reprimanded me in front of other co-workers for not doing something correctly.

Sure, not being 100% in the scene if the camera isn't on you may not be completely professional, but  loudly threatening to shit in someone's wig also isn't the height of professional behavior either.

Which I stated in my post. I said that Lea Michele was probably a big bitch and more than I blame Lea, Ryan Murphy should have put his foot since he was in charge. I also stated no matter how unprofessional Samantha was acting even in that instance, how Lea went about was still wrong. Lea was neither the director nor the executive producer; since she lacks any sort of tact, she should have told the director and have either them deal with it.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:45 AM, VCRTracking said:

They should have just called it "The Jason Bateman Show" because he was the reason it was still able to go on. He had comic chops even as a teenager.

That's true.  He was great even then

And before that on the short lived Its Your Move. 

Valerie Harper left the show over a contract dispute and they killed her off, in typical "sitcom" fashion, I forget how or if they every said how, and brought in Sandy Duncan to replace her.  What was she an aunt, like the pilot dad's sister? 

I literally have not seen that show in over 30 years so I can't even believe I remember all that

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That's true.  He was great even then

Valerie Harper left the show over a contract dispute and they killed her off, in typical "sitcom" fashion, I forget how or if they every said how, and brought in Sandy Duncan to replace her.  What was she an aunt, like the pilot dad's sister? 

I literally have not seen that show in over 30 years so I can't even believe I remember all that

Yeah she was the dad's sister. Before that I only knew Sandy Duncan from when she was a guest star on Scooby Doo!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Yeah she was the dad's sister. Before that I only knew Sandy Duncan from when she was a guest star on Scooby Doo!

That's exactly where I know her from as well before that show! 

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was trying to remember the name of that show!  The previous "Bateman as lead" brought up the memory of the show, but not the title. 

To bring this closer to topic, Jason's sister Justine also starred on that show, and they naturally played siblings.  And there was a neighbor/love-interest-for-the-mother character that I think was played by guy that was later Marcy's first husband on Married with Children.

6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I was trying to remember the name of that show!  The previous "Bateman as lead" brought up the memory of the show, but not the title. 

To bring this closer to topic, Jason's sister Justine also starred on that show, and they naturally played siblings.  And there was a neighbor/love-interest-for-the-mother character that I think was played by guy that was later Marcy's first husband on Married with Children.

Sorry but the sister was played by Tricia Cast. I'm old enough to remember her on the TV version of The Bad News Bears so I recognized her when this show started.

• Love 1