Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: Trivia And Other Gossip

• Start Topic

I couldn't even follow what was going on there because of the number of times the actor's mom was involved in the BTS drama.  

Yeah, after reading all of the gossip I'm still not sure what exactly transpired behind the scenes; all I can say is that that one mother sounds like a mess. 

All I kept thinking was that 30 year olds play teenagers.  That is how it was when I was teenager and reading BTS stuff about 90210.

Not always. The teenage characters who play 15-year-olds who take five seasons to turn 18 are usually played by twentysomethings. However, the characters of Jude and Connor are younger and those usually do get cast with teen actors. The Fosters has been going for a few years, now and according to a Fosters wiki, the character was 13 when the show started.

Wow. I didn't know there was so much drama on the Fosters set. I've dropped any show I can't watch on Hulu that I don't watch with my husband so I'm behind on The Fosters. I figured the little screen time Jude got was about him being so young and having to meet with education requirements.

Sigh, Freeform shows have the shippers that make me hate shippers. Usually, I'm fine with shipping who you like but the Braille and Ezria shippers are rooting for such toxic couples. Worse, The Fosters has done multiple stories about why Braille are an inappropriate couple. There were episodes that were practically screaming at the audience that if you care about Callie, you don't want her to be with Brandon but ugh.

Edited by Wax Lion

I can't link to it since I'm on my phone but TV Guide has an article up about the leads on Castle. Apppently relations between them are so bad that they got sent to couples counseling and reportedly loathe each other.

I can't link to it since I'm on my phone but TV Guide has an article up about the leads on Castle. Apppently relations between them are so bad that they got sent to couples counseling and reportedly loathe each other.

I remember there was a revealed blind item from around when the show first started, saying that she was a diva on set, and was cruel to the staff, so Nathan Fillion told her off using some pretty harsh language (as in, he called her a c**t).  It actually surprises me that it's taken this long for one of them to leave/get fired, or that it apparently wasn't until the past year that the network stepped in and made them take some measures to ease the tension.  That set must be a nightmare.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

So between Stana Katic and Michael Strahan there's a lot to talk about here now, eh?

On the whole Live/GMA thing with Strahan and Ripa, we've not only got Ripa taking off unexpectedly (apparently without approval adding unannounced extra days to an allegedly already planned vacation), apparently Lara Spencer, on GMA is also furious with Strahan's hiring... because it means at the very least a kind of demotion/broken promise to her (that she'd be the main personality in the 8am hour.... and now it will be Strahan), and at worst that maybe they might just ditch her.  And Ripa is either Diva-ing out either because she can... or because she feels betrayed at not having been in the loop (plus rumors are flying that this may have all been part of a backdoor plan to shut down her show anyway). 

On the Castle thing... they've clearly screwed the pooch here and have to be praying that getting BAD attention is actually better than getting none. NOBODY is happy, and if anyone is watching next year it will likely be with the intention to point and laugh at/bemoan and bury the show.

Katic isn't the only one given the heave either. The lady who played Laine, the coroner, is out too. Leading me to amuse myself with the thought of how many slashy-subtext fan fictions will be written with Laine and Beckett riding off into the sunset together.

I can't remember where I read it now, but apparently Nathan made it a part of his last contract that he only film with Katic two days a week. That explains so much about the show now and makes it very clear that things have been very bad for a very long time.

A few months back, Michael Ausiello at TVLine posted a blind item about an actress that was supposedly a nightmare to work with.  When people asked if he would reveal the name, he refused because she scared him too much, he said.

I wonder if he was talking about Stana Katic....

A few months back, Michael Ausiello at TVLine posted a blind item about an actress that was supposedly a nightmare to work with.  When people asked if he would reveal the name, he refused because she scared him too much, he said.

Somehow I don't think so.   Other than Castle what has Katic done that would give her the star power to get away with being a diva on set.   Unless you are the director/producer's pet, you would get shut down pretty quick with "There's lots of pretty faces out there who could do this without the attitude."   If she pulled stuff the very first year, they could have replaced her over the summer with nary a word said about how Beckett looked different.

And seriously "couples counseling?"   They're not married in real life, they are co-workers.   You treat them like employees and you tell them that at least on set, you get along like adults.  If they can't act like professionals you start thinking about firing someone.  

• Love 2

Somehow I don't think so.   Other than Castle what has Katic done that would give her the star power to get away with being a diva on set.   Unless you are the director/producer's pet, you would get shut down pretty quick with "There's lots of pretty faces out there who could do this without the attitude."   If she pulled stuff the very first year, they could have replaced her over the summer with nary a word said about how Beckett looked different.

And seriously "couples counseling?"   They're not married in real life, they are co-workers.   You treat them like employees and you tell them that at least on set, you get along like adults.  If they can't act like professionals you start thinking about firing someone.  

That's one thing I admired about Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny. I heard they didn't get along in real life, but they always had great on-screen chemistry on the X Files. I haven't watched Castle in several seasons, but I'm told that NF and SK's disdain for one another was apparent when you watched them in scenes together. 

A few months back, Michael Ausiello at TVLine posted a blind item about an actress that was supposedly a nightmare to work with.  When people asked if he would reveal the name, he refused because she scared him too much, he said.

The primary guesswork on that (for a lot of people) was Juliana Marguiles. 

Awhile back, I saw some show about Laverne and Shirley, which had some notorious problems behind the scenes. They were interviewing some higher up who worked on the show but I don't remember who. He said one night he was sitting in his car about to leave, when most of the cast walked out the building and he truely thought about gunning the engine and running them all down. He quit shortly after because he said when you start wanting to run down the crew, it is time to get another job. It was just funny the way he said it and it is an idea to live by.

• Love 12

I haven't watched Castle in several seasons, but I'm told that NF and SK's disdain for one another was apparent when you watched them in scenes together. 

I'm not sure if the disdain is apparent.  The narrative was certainly weird enough in terms of leads not interacting much that I found myself sometimes trying to decide if they were filming together in scenes that included them both.

I haven't scrutinized whether actors were in the same frame together this much since the The Good Wife.

He quit shortly after because he said when you start wanting to run down the crew, it is time to get another job. It was just funny the way he said it and it is an idea to live by.

A number of years ago, I had an opportunity to move to a different organization, owned by the same parent company of my then-employer, but two states away, or stay at my old job, but end up working for a person for whom I had no respect, not only as a manager but as a human being (the stories I could tell you...)  I decided to take the new position, because staying meant going to his house one night and killing him in his sleep.  Of course, my coworkers would have considered me a hero...

• Love 5

Do they still do the E! True Hollywood story? Because I would enjoy that treatment for Castle and the Good Wife.

They do. Not well, but they do.

But "not well" is the key phrase here. E! clearly gives no fucks about putting any effort in them like they used to, and haven't in over a decade now.

And topping the Three's Company THS is pretty much an unattainable goal, anyway. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Ooh yes, Glee would be a great True Hollywood Story. All the kerfuffling with Dianna Agron and whatnot.

On the X-Files, Anderson and Duchovny didn't get along after he got all pissy that she didn't thank him in her Golden Globes speech. But I guess time heals wounds since they're best friends now.

On a positive BTS note, Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz' friendship is cute. They seem like they genuinely like each other and enjoy working together.

True Hollywood story for Castle - hands down. Maybe they could do a special one just for that. There is so much gossip out there right now over what "supposedly" happened. Ouch. And I realized that is I scroll to the very top of this page, yourpointis mentioned then answered/quoted my own post about whether a certain blind was Katic and Fillion (I wasn't sure at the time). yourpointis for the win! - you were so right. That blind WAS them.

It's threads like these one where I want to read from the start to see what people speculated on and what turned out to be actually true.

• Love 1

Awhile back, I saw some show about Laverne and Shirley, which had some notorious problems behind the scenes. They were interviewing some higher up who worked on the show but I don't remember who. He said one night he was sitting in his car about to leave, when most of the cast walked out the building and he truely thought about gunning the engine and running them all down. He quit shortly after because he said when you start wanting to run down the crew, it is time to get another job. It was just funny the way he said it and it is an idea to live by.

I've gotten my husband into watching L&S on MeTV and he in enjoying it, but he keeps asking me if Cindy and Penny got along, and I don't know. I should tell him this story!

True Hollywood story for Castle - hands down. Maybe they could do a special one just for that. There is so much gossip out there right now over what "supposedly" happened. Ouch. And I realized that is I scroll to the very top of this page, yourpointis mentioned then answered/quoted my own post about whether a certain blind was Katic and Fillion (I wasn't sure at the time). yourpointis for the win! - you were so right. That blind WAS them.

It's threads like these one where I want to read from the start to see what people speculated on and what turned out to be actually true.

Thank you HalcyonDays. I had also remarked about the interview Nathan Fillion did on some late night talk show (still can't remember which) where he stated that the whole cast and crew didn't get along with Stana and that he told her to stop acting like a bitch. I swore to keep searching for that video, but figured after season one and after some fans started shipping the two that that video was taken down by the network. I know I didn't imagine that interview because the show was still new and at that time I was still a fan of both leads and was shocked to hear him talk that way about her. Maybe a season later I started disliking her character (not the actress because I hadn't seen her in anything other than Castle). I just wonder since SK will no longer be on the show if that video will reappear. I think I may go back to watching Castle now that she is gone, but why did the Lanie character have to go? I loved that character.

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 1

Tbh, I'm sort of LIVING for the " Castle" drama right now.

I'm sad about what it's doing to the actual show( though I haven't watched in quite awhile), but I still want someone to pass the popcorn.

• Love 2

but why did the Lanie character have to go? I loved that character.

Seems like some kind of "cover" to justify the "it was a cost-cutting measure" logic they floated to try and explain this.

Of course it's interesting that both bootees were women. Who likely weren't being paid as much anyway, right?  I'd see no reason for fairly new showrunners or even ABC to take such a position, so it makes me think a certain male star took a strong position and they scrambled. Perhaps Tamala Jones, besides the crime of being female, was too supportive of Stana Katic on set or something like that.

Tbh, I'm sort of LIVING for the " Castle" drama right now.

I'm sad about what it's doing to the actual show( though I haven't watched in quite awhile), but I still want someone to pass the popcorn.

And on top of that there's the bonus of the Kelly and Michael drama (now featuring even more reactions on how upset Lara Spencer is or isn't--you make up your mind!)

On a positive BTS note, Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz' friendship is cute. They seem like they genuinely like each other and enjoy working together.

It's too bad the show itself went down the toilet a long time ago. It's nice to know some people can get along though.

On the X-Files, Anderson and Duchovny didn't get along after he got all pissy that she didn't thank him in her Golden Globes speech. But I guess time heals wounds since they're best friends now.

I bet they're not really best friends. Just hiding it a bit better with maturity and distance having helped them. Oh, and more professional too.

You know what's weird?  Gillian Anderson tried her hand at being a novelist in 2014.  Lo and behold. David Duchovney put out a novel in 2015.  I wonder if there was some silent competition going on there?

• Love 2

I would throw out another BHS conflict: Lena Dunham said, I think it was a roundtable interview, that she had some drama on her show with a male guest actor who was on the show for a couple of episodes and said something along the lines of "I can't wait to be on a show led by a man again" and Lena heard it over her headphones when she was directing, I think.

There was a rumor for awhile that she and the actor who played Charlie didn't get along at all, and that's why his character arc ended up abruptly. He did come back for an episode this season, but the character was completely shot to hell, so perhaps he was the actor in question.

I would LOVE to know what's going on backstage at The Mindy Project in regards to Chris Messina. There has to be a story behind why his character took a major downturn, and then was unceremoniously dropped. I never even liked his character to begin with, and even I would watch episode and think "woah; who did he piss off?"

There was a rumor for awhile that she and the actor who played Charlie didn't get along at all, and that's why his character arc ended up abruptly. He did come back for an episode this season, but the character was completely shot to hell, so perhaps he was the actor in question.

I would LOVE to know what's going on backstage at The Mindy Project in regards to Chris Messina. There has to be a story behind why his character took a major downturn, and then was unceremoniously dropped. I never even liked his character to begin with, and even I would watch episode and think "woah; who did he piss off?"

Would you invite the guy back who did that? It's not like he was a necessary return for Girls.

As for Messina, he wasn't dumped from The Mindy Project. He was shooting Ben Affleck's new movie. Mindy decided his absence would be the perfect time to explore single motherhood for her character and a more 'realistic' look at how stressful having kids can be on a relationship....especially for two opposites.

By all accounts they love Chris and he's in this half of the season, just not every episode. He wasn't in every episode in the fall either. I believe they pretaped a lot in the fall and post taped a lot this spring.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Would you invite the guy back who did that? It's not like he was a necessary return for Girls.

As for Messina, he wasn't dumped from The Mindy Project. He was shooting Ben Affleck's new movie. Mindy decided his absence would be the perfect time to explore single motherhood for her character and a more 'realistic' look at how stressful having kids can be on a relationship....especially for two opposites.

By all accounts they love Chris and he's in this half of the season, just not every episode. He wasn't in every episode in the fall either. I believe they pretaped a lot in the fall and post taped a lot this spring.

He's been removed from the regular credits which doesn't happen to series regulars even if they skip an episode. In the fall episodes, his name was listed. That means at most he's recurring now. Whether or not that was a mutual decision has yet to be determined.

The way the character has been written, I wonder if something happened behind the scenes. They eviscerated his character. I wonder if he will return next season.

The way the character has been written, I wonder if something happened behind the scenes. They eviscerated his character. I wonder if he will return next season.

I watched a lot of panels while the show was still on FOX trying to figure out their inability to carry a B and C plot and inability to focus on some truly talented supporting actors.

They loved Messina.  Loved him.  Particularly Mindy and Ike/Morgan who are also involved in the writing.  It bordered on infatuation.

But it was clear that they get distracted by the new bright shiny thing be it actor or plot.  I have no doubt that Messina being unavailable could have sparked a plot they became infatuated with that would lead to dismantling Danny's character with no actual bad feelings towards Messina.  Would not surprise me at all.

Edited by ParadoxLost

He's been removed from the regular credits which doesn't happen to series regulars even if they skip an episode. In the fall episodes, his name was listed. That means at most he's recurring now. Whether or not that was a mutual decision has yet to be determined.

Credits are typically contractual and while it's sometimes true that regulars are just left in, it's not always true.  Heroes only used to credit actors who would appear in the episode. I believe Gilmore Girls did the same.  I've seen it happen when stars are considered regulars but their guarantees aren't for every episode and so they don't appear in every ep.  I imagine a lot of it has to due with whatever their contract says and however much it costs to change the credit sequence.  TMP's would be relatively easy, I imagine.  It's very possible they've changed his status to "special guest star" a la Heather Locklear from Melrose Place.  I guess we'll see where he's credited in the eps in which he appears.  I haven't gotten Hulu yet.  Was he listed as a guest star in the first ep back?

Be that as it may, I was only addressing the notion that he was "unceremoniously dropped". I see no evidence of that.  Just the opposite, in fact. I can only go by timing and what has been said in articles but he was in the first part of the season and then immediately spent a few months filming Live By Night and, once that movie wrapped,  he filmed some episodes for the second half of the season.   When asked about the direction of Danny's character, Mindy and Ike (and maybe another writer) have said that they've felt the show became too Danny & Mindy centric and Chris's absence gave them the opportunity to change that and explore something Mindy wanted to explore--all the while promising he'll be back.  If there was some negative backstage shenanigans, I'd be surprised given how much accommodating, on both sides, must have been done for Chris to do both.

As for how they wrote his character, I don't think Mindy sees it as character destruction.  I think she's all about "deconstructing the romcom" (which has been so en vogue lately---I like my fantasy traditional romcoms, thank you very much.) She likes writing these kinds of characters.  Pete was a frat boy.  Jody is a chauvinist.  Wasn't Dan Bakkedahl the same way?  Danny has always had a conservative/traditional streak that they dialed up to lead to this breakup.  She has dialed up the negative attributes of her character as well at times.

As for next season, if there is one, I don't see Chris doing 26 episodes if that's what the renewal is for but I would bet he appears.

Edited by Irlandesa

Later, someone explicitly asked Jamie if this meant that Aml had been transphobic on set, and she said no, that that was just an Internet rumor. Yeah, an Internet rumor that she flamed with her cryptic passive-aggressive tweets. She needs to either shit or get off the pot. I can buy that he was transphobic, and if he was, then good riddance to him, but it's dumb for her to be coy/disingenuous about it by acting like it's just some silly Internet rumor that she had no hand in with her previous tweets. 

Especially because there are also reports of Lana Wachowski being anti-black, so there seems to be two camps forming, with one side saying that Aml was pushed out due to racism and another saying that he was pushed out due to transphobia. 

• Love 1

Leah Remini has inserted herself into the story of Ron Miscavige leaving Scientology.

Re Kelly Ripa -- I only saw clips from her monologue/speech when she returned to Live, but it doesn't seem like it made things better for her in the public eye, if nasty headlines are anything to go by. Now she supposedly never liked Strahan and never got along with the network. Canard!

I feel badly for her and hope the "personal apology" from ABC was some slight balm. I mean, her show (especially since Regis left and she's the headliner) has always been a second-class citizen to GMA and I would have been hella pissed at the lack of respect, too.

Anger and injured feelings aside, however, I do think Kelly should have put on a fake smile for 60 minutes and done her danged $15-20M a year job. Say what you will about Kathie Lee, but even during that whole blow-up with Frank's affair, she put her ass in that chair. I also can't think that Kelly is pleased now about the fallout, with 30 paparazzi dogging her every move. She may even lose some of her endorsement deals/commercials if she's perceived not to be the "nice everyday mom" any more.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

If Lana has a problem with Black people then why is Freema so happy to work on the show. She's a Black person from the UK and hasn't said a negative thing about Lana or anyone else on the show. In fact her and Jaime get along really, really well.

What I read was he had a problem with an upcoming group sex scene that included his character.

No one's saying that Lana literally hates black people, but it's quite possible that she was engaging in (for example) microaggressions. After all, she is on record scapegoating black people for the passage of anti-trans bathroom bills. (Wonder if she also scapegoated black people for California's Prop 8 the way a lot of other people did?) Not all black people will respond to microaggressions or racist behavior in the same way because POC aren't monolithic, so Freema doesn't really indicate anything. How many times have we heard white people (accused of racism) saying that they can't be racist because they have black friends? And, I mean, if Jodie Foster can defend Mel Gibson for all these years... 

I have read several commentaries/reviews that take issue with perceived anti-blackness on the show. I haven't watched Sense8 so I can't speak to the validity of those reviews - hence the "perceived" - but the speculation over Lana's racism possibly playing a role isn't coming out of left field. 

Honestly I could see both of them being incredibly messy, with transphobia on Aml's part and racism on Lana's. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3
On 4/28/2016 at 10:38 AM, Rick Kitchen said:

I didn't watch the interview with Ron Miscavige.  Did he say anything about whether he has seen his daughter-in-law in the last few years?

Not one word.

11 hours ago, galax-arena said:

I suppose this isn't in the spirit of the thread, but what the hey, why not talk about costars who like each other behind the scenes?: I think that Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are the anti-Fillion/Katic. If it turns out that Miller and Liu have actually hated each other all these years, I'll be so bummed, haha. 

What a sweet card (and tweet). I really like the two of them, and I'm glad they say nice things to each other off-camera. I'm still on Season 3 of Elementary. I'm watching it slowly because I hate the moment when I'm binge-watching a show then realize that I've caught up and can now only watch the show once a week. 

I wish I could analyze handwriting . Lucy Liu's handwriting is narrow and a little messy but still precise and readable.  It seems like she writes quickly. And her "y" has that long-ass tail. I wonder what all of that says about her?

• Love 1

Ryan Murphy is producing a new anthology series called "Feud" about real-life Hollywood feuds.  The first season is going to star Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Ryan Murphy is producing a new anthology series called "Feud" about real-life Hollywood feuds.  The first season is going to star Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

That sounds awesome.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Well, it's produced by Ryan Murphy....

As long as he doesn't write it and it operates like American Crime Story it should be a good production. If it's like AHS then it will be horrible.

• Love 2

I'm not familiar with his work, so I have no idea whether this is futile, but: I hope Joan Crawford is written as she really was, not as the cartoon she's often portrayed as.  I mean, I hope Bette Davis is presented accurately, too, but there's less worry there.  They were both interesting women, and their relationship is certainly fodder for entertainment, so if done properly this could be good.  Especially with that cast. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I don't have high hopes.  Even Ryan Murphy's more serious stuff turns into camp eventually. 

He is starting off with Davis and Crawford while filming 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?'  I don't think serious was ever on the table.

I wonder if future seasons will stick to old Hollywood or branch out into other arenas.  History, music, sports, etc.

Since he seems to be using named actors, I think he'll stick to the deceased and won't poke at anyone that has even a slight amount of influence today..

• Love 2

If I may expand this a bit to encompass a celebrity's personal behavior IRL (my perception of it, at least), I will never watch any form of entertainment that includes an appearance by Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, Cosby, Jenny McCarthy, and -- not that I normally would come into contact with anything from their oeuvre -- Kanye, Chris Brown, and Bieber.

7 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

ABC is announcing a bunch of cancellations right now.

Yeah, I just posted in the Once Upon a Time forum that it's a total bloodbath at ABC right now. Nashville should lend itself to some good post-mortem gossip. There were rumors that Hayden Panettiere wasn't too in love with Connie Britton. 

• Love 1

Damn I guess I was the only one looking forward to a Beckett less Castle. I eventually grew tired of that character and once the main characters romance was in full bloom, I completely quit watching the show. Sigh. According to Blind Gossip it was Nathan Fillion that led to Stana Katic's firing and the network's decision to cancel the show. http://blindgossip.com/?p=77925#more-77925 (grain of salt and all)

• Love 3