Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: Week 8 Eliminations

• Start Topic

A double elimination occurs in the eighth-round results show. Also: Josh Groban and Carly Rae Jepsen perform; Maddie Ziegler is featured in a dance; and Kenny Mayne, Jerry Rice and Len Goodman host Dance Center.

Wow, what sort of deal did Carly Rae Jepsen make with ABC? She's a guest star on tonight's episode of Castle and then performing on the DWTS results show tomorrow?

Yay for the return of Dance Center!

Yay Dance Center! Yay!

Why are they having the results show separately from the dancing show?

Because viewers have been clamoring for them and ABC allowed it in the budget, would be my guess. I have missed them.

• Love 2
Because viewers have been clamoring for them and ABC allowed it in the budget, would be my guess. I have missed them.

It's more likely because ABC had an hour they had to burn after Fresh Off the Boat had its season finale on April 21st. A results show for DWTS is reliable (no real surprises on ratings), decent filler, and cheap to broadcast. It's a fine fallback until the spring/summer shows premiere in 2 or 3 weeks.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well that was anti-climactic, although the right people went home. Noah could have replaced the two but it was time for either of those three to go. That said, I am now even more convinced that Riker is not getting a lot of viewer votes and the producers are doing everything they can to get him into that Final 3 but it's looking less and less likely. 

There was no reason to put Riker in jeopardy again tonight. They could have just as easily put Nastia. Sure no one would really think Chris had a chance against her because their point differential was so high but so what? Riker has been in jeopardy now three times and I'll always remember Erin repeating over and over that people have to vote, even going as far as saying "what's wrong with you guys" the first time he was put in jeopardy. He is not pulling the votes.

On another note it was nice to see the return of Dance Center. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

So, was this the "true" bottom two?  They're usually quite clear about the "not necessarily," and I didn't hear that tonight.

Thought it was really funny that they acknowledged the nepotism.  Showing Derek even a little vulnerable makes me think he and Nastia aren't keeping up with the votes.  It would not surprise me a single little bit if Noah wins this season.

• Love 2

Willow's shock elimination probably got Riker's fans voting. Oh well, it was time for Robert and Chris to go. Though I want Noah gone even more. I'm scared he's gonna be in the finals by this rate.

• Love 4
(edited)

Love dance center! No Whitney there for Chris I think the 4 leaving tonight will go out and have a good time on Robert. You know they will do it up in grand style!

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I really liked Chris tonight during the Results show.  You know........the second he got eliminated I warmed to him and the emotion. Very sweet.

So um I think Nastia ran over one of the producers puppies or something...because she didn't get a great edit even in her Dance Center piece.  Derek posted a really long post on ig after the Monday show really trying to let folks know that Nastia was really tired and they basically just got a bad edit.  That was what they were both  saying during their post show interviews and even in her interview with Erin during the Results show.

The edit tonight seemed like the producers way of saying, "nah...this is how she is."  Anyone else feel like they are putting her on blast?  That usually happens when behind the scenes production isn't a fan of the person.

• Love 2

Does anyone besides me think Chris was praying PICK ME! I'LL GO!  A little surprised he teared up but Witney looked a little relieved.

Agree MsPH - Willow's shock elimination probably lit a fire under Riker's fans, at least for this week.  Good scores don't mean you get to stay.  I do think Rumer, Riker or Nastia will go next week putting Noah into the finals.

• Love 2

Well, I'm disappointed.  I knew Robert the Shark wasn't going to win it, but he was just soooo likeable.  I know Riker is a better dancer.  As is Nastia.  But, dagnabit, I want to watch (and rewatch) Kym and Robert each week.  So adorbs.  And I totally know I'm in the minority, but I'm just not a Hough fan girl.  I may have to start voting for Bruce Willis's daughter.  She's not bad.

• Love 8

I didn't watch but I heard the pimping was strong for Rumer and Val and that they continue to show Nastia in a bad light.  Why?  Why are they doing that to Nastia?  Is it because she's the biggest threat to ruin the "Val's season" narrative?

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't watch but I heard the pimping was strong for Rumer and Val and that they continue to show Nastia in a bad light.  Why?  Why are they doing that to Nastia?  Is it because she's the biggest threat to ruin the "Val's season" narrative?

Are they putting her in a bad light or is she just being herself? I'm starting to wonder. My overall sense is that she isn't the bubbly chatty type.  Maybe she thinks folks will vote for her if that is the persona but it ain't her.  

Edited by RemoteControl88
  • Love 7

The only place I'm hearing that is from Pure DWTS, AKA, the High Holy Church of Derek Hough. I don't see how they're pimping Val or showing Nastia in a bad light. Nastia is bland as air, but I've seen nothing that would cast her in a negative light. She was frustrated last night, but I can't say that I blame her.

• Love 13

Yuck and double yuck to Rumer and Riker getting through.  I really, really hoped they would be gone.  Of course I knew Golden Boy would sail through.

Now I guess I will vote for Noah, even though he is paired with trashy acting Sharna and her bad dye job.  This is the worst final four I have ever seen.

And I totally know I'm in the minority, but I'm just not a Hough fan girl.  

I do not think you are in the minority at all.  There are plenty of people who do not care for Derek.  I do not think he has the large fan base that he gets credited with.

• Love 1
(edited)

Aw. I will kind of miss Robert and Kym. She obviously wasn't able to do her best work, but I missed Kym's warmth and presence on the show.

If Noah can play spoiler to Nastia or Riker and boot one of them from the finals, I'll be thrilled. I think it's about time Sharna got to choreograph a freestyle. After the ridiculous smoke constantly blown up Amy Purdy's behind throughout S18, I find I mind Noah less.

I didn't think Nastia's edit was that awful. And Derek can shut it with his excuses too.

Bless Erin for bringing up the Hough nepotism. Even Tom seemed surprised that she went there; it's one thing for the DanceCenter crew to joke about it but quite another for Erin talk about it so casually with Riker. I wonder if some producer gave her a slap on the wrist for that.

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 10

The only place I'm hearing that is from Pure DWTS, AKA, the High Holy Church of Derek Hough. I don't see how they're pimping Val or showing Nastia in a bad light. Nastia is bland as air, but I've seen nothing that would cast her in a negative light. She was frustrated last night, but I can't say that I blame her.

Agreed. I thought Erin actually fawned over a bit in their red room interview tonight saying how hard it has been for Nastia all season with all the traveling and school, etc and tried to give Nastia a platform to address how she is feeling at everything right now but she gave yet another sort of bland, forgettable answer. I did watch a bit of their livestream last week and she seemed more personable there then she does on the live shows but I don't really think this is all Nastia being cast a certain way by the producers, it is just who she is. She is sort of "eh." 

Her personality is actually what I expected Meryl would be like before Season 18 started. I think it is just that years of elite athlete training turns you into a bit of a robot in interviews. 

And for all the talk about pimping of Val by the judges, etc, Nastia and Riker both have a higher cumulative number of points than Rumor and Nastia has been in either first or second place more than any other contestant so far this season. 

• Love 6
So um I think Nastia ran over one of the producers puppies or something...because she didn't get a great edit even in her Dance Center piece.

I guess I can understand how some view it that way. But honestly, one, I wasn't sure if the whole thing wasn't really entirely set up for a gag or those were real answers from her from other interviews, spliced in for the bit. That said, let's say for argument's sake they were really comments from her spliced up for the bit, I just saw it as the producers/show poking fun at the narrative Nastia's had for much of the season. That is, she's closed off and a little emotionally removed. Yes, it may not be the nicest thing to show of her, but I personally don't think that makes her a bad person.

I acknowledge that others may disagree and it's reason enough for some to not vote for her and that's more than valid. I just don't think a person being closed off and a little emotionally withdrawn necessarily makes them a bad person and her backstage package came after the Dance Center bit where they made sure to show her genuinely upset about the package and how people would think negatively of her. So did allow her some moment of sensitivity. I liked Derek's calm response to her there because he's been on the show long enough to know the things they pull. It reminds me of last season when they put Sadie in jeopardy and he comforted her by telling her "it was fine and they just wanted a show." 

Honestly, at this point, I think most people have made up their minds about their favorites and that's unlikely to change. The casual viewer who maybe will only check in for the finale and does not pay attention to all the online stuff, might be the deciding factor.

• Love 4

I really hope that Noah goes out next.  In my opinion the finals will be awful if he is there.  I would rather continue to see good dancing from Rumor, Riker, and Nastia.  I think Noah has gone far enough on the show.  That being said, this sure isn't the best semi-final group.

• Love 11

Whew, so glad to see Chris and Robert both go. Robert has been skeevy the past few weeks, and Chris is just so bland. I really do have to wonder why, though, both Erin AND Tom (Tom! I expect more from you!) could only ask Robert and Kym about one thing...the showmance...that clearly burned itself out (if it ever existed at all) weeks ago. So weird and gross. The producers just could not stop hammering that down our throats.

I really liked Chris tonight during the Results show.  You know........the second he got eliminated I warmed to him and the emotion. Very sweet.

Word, and I felt the same way about Robert. His jokey reply to Tom's annoying showmance question was the best thing I've seen from him all season.

When I re-watched Rumer's paso from last night, she did look exhausted. Tonight, in the encore, she was so much more lively. Not sure if last night's performance deserved all 10s, but tonight's did.

Also, could Erin's jacket have been more annoying??

• Love 5

Shaping Soooouuuund! I always love seeing them. (Since Afterbuzz is busy handing out Emmy's to Mark this season, I'll poke in and hope Travis finally gets one at some point.) 

I have realized that my dream show would basically be a choreographer's version of Project Runway, which is why I tend to like the creative stagings of dances, and see how they pull them together more than I really care if the celebrity went on a journey or was in twu wuv or gets a little cranky when they get tired. Seriously, I didn't think that Derek/Nastia package showed anything more than a few tired people getting a little snippy because they needed to break for the day. Non-drama drama. Happened to Rumer/Val last week.

Somewhere over the Rainbow is not really a song Josh Groban's should keep in his repertoire, but the Maddie Ziegler dance was lovely. I wanted to dislike it because she seems like she might be a little shit, but damn, she moves beautifully. 

• Love 3

I was bummed that we didn't get a big old opening number tonight. I had hoped that we'd see more of them once the results show came back. 

Is Peta still even on this show? She danced for about 25 seconds last night and I didn't see her once tonight, even in the Red Room on All Access. 

It also would have been nice if they could time this show better to allow them to show the goodbye packages for the contestants. Tom made it sound like they had one for Chris but didn't have time to show it. I had flashbacks to Charlie White's elimination (well, except for the part where Chris was a terrible dancer). They had an extra hour this week and couldn't allow enough time for a quick goodbye package?

I understand that Derek is still the pro here, blah, blah, blah but they couldn't let Sasha stand with them when they got their results or even show him on camera? He was backstage out of costume all night from what I could see. That is just silly. 

• Love 4

I was bummed that we didn't get a big old opening number tonight. I had hoped that we'd see more of them once the results show came back. 

Is Peta still even on this show? She danced for about 25 seconds last night and I didn't see her once tonight, even in the Red Room on All Access. 

It also would have been nice if they could time this show better to allow them to show the goodbye packages for the contestants. Tom made it sound like they had one for Chris but didn't have time to show it. I had flashbacks to Charlie White's elimination (well, except for the part where Chris was a terrible dancer). They had an extra hour this week and couldn't allow enough time for a quick goodbye package?

I understand that Derek is still the pro here, blah, blah, blah but they couldn't let Sasha stand with them when they got their results or even show him on camera? He was backstage out of costume all night from what I could see. That is just silly. 

Peta was there but she tweeted a picture of herself icing her ankle last night.

And I have no idea why this show is so wonky on timing, now. They don't have opening credits anymore, the rehearsal packages are shorter, so are the dances, they don't introduce the stars anymore and they don't even introduce the dance the couple is about to do.  The show just seems like such a disorganized mess.

• Love 7
(edited)
Her personality is actually what I expected Meryl would be like before Season 18 started. I think it is just that years of elite athlete training turns you into a bit of a robot in interviews.

I honestly don't really understand the Meryl and Nastia comparisons. Yes, Meryl may be an introvert as well and shy but Meryl was/is an ice dancer. Her whole career is performing to music and selling a story on ice with Charlie. They are essentially performers - just on skates. And they have to have great musicality to also sell their performances as beautifully as they do.

Nastia is/was a gymnast. Mark said it perfectly on Afterbuzz, that there is a misconception about these women - yes, they are strong and have flexibility but they don't perform to music, meaning they do not learn to count beats and develop musicality. Yes, some are naturally gifted in that area like Shawn was and Nastia herself but we all saw what happens when one didn't have musicality - hello Aly Raisman. Mark went so far as calling the music playing in the background when they do the floor exercises as "ear candy" because it's mostly there so they could do one little dance move here and there but then the whole thing is essentially tumbling and gymnastic tricks. 

So I actually think it's a little unfair to Nastia being compared to Meryl and I feel like this has been one of the issues for her. That people seemed to treat her like this huge ringer who had all this dance experience and ability or at least she should have those things. And so she's often been nitpicked to death and when she does do really well, it's almost dismissed like "well of course she was good, she's the biggest ringer in years." Which again, in my opinion, is simply not true. 

Also, could Erin's jacket have been more annoying??

I thought it was fabulous.  But I love a strong, sexy mix of feminine and masculine look.

I understand that Derek is still the pro here, blah, blah, blah but they couldn't let Sasha stand with them when they got their results or even show him on camera?

Yes it may be "whatever" but I guess I don't see the issue because yeah, Derek is still her Pro, whatever one's feelings of him are. Who else was Nastia supposed to stand out there with, waiting for her results? Sasha got camera time last night performing the Paso and listening to the judges' comments after the Paso and with the trio and in all the interviews with Erin. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

I have realized that my dream show would basically be a choreographer's version of Project Runway, which is why I tend to like the creative stagings of dances, and see how they pull them together more than I really care if the celebrity went on a journey or was in twu wuv or gets a little cranky when they get tired.

See if you can find episodes of Dan Karaty's The Ultimate Dance Battle - it was brilliant. A little bit of Dutch and some other languages to listen to, but enough English to make sense of what is going on and the choreographers and dancers up against each other are freeeeeekin brilliant. I can't understand why it only ran two seasons.  It might have been too hard for choreographers to compete like that,but watching it regularly blew my head off.

I thought Rumer was clearly more into the Paso tonight than last night, but the boys didn't seem quite as energized or something.  That was weird for me.

• Love 3

So the semis are 50% Hough - with another Hough judging them. Had Willow survived, the BFF and honorary Hough Mark would be there as well. If the show gets renewed, I really wish they'd be up front about it and just call the damned thing "Dancing With the Houghs".

• Love 13

Shaping Soooouuuund! I always love seeing them. (Since Afterbuzz is busy handing out Emmy's to Mark this season, I'll poke in and hope Travis finally gets one at some point.)

I have to say, there were some major "trust falls" going on in their routine. Wow.

Nastia is/was a gymnast. Mark said it perfectly on Afterbuzz, that there is a misconception about these women - yes, they are strong and have flexibility but they don't perform to music, meaning they do not learn to count beats and develop musicality

What about the floor exercise? It may not be as expressive as ice skating, but they do dance to music and have to have rhythm and timing and fluidity and dance steps and movement in between their major jumps and gymnastic flips. And from what I understand, gymnasts may take dance lessons to help their performance in those kinds of routines.

Honestly, I haven't thought about Meryl one bit while watching Nastia. I think Nastia has had some terrific routines and some not so terrific routines. Sometimes she seems to have trouble with exactly what she talked about tonight -- dropping the well-conditioned athlete mentality and allowing herself to let emotion flow. I don't think that comes easily to her.

I don't mind Chris and Robert going home, but I do wish Noah was going home too. There's not a lot of versatility to his routines; I feel like he's not going to improve or impress or astound me as a viewer. For the final 3, I want to be entertained to the max, and while I respect what he has done, I just don't think he can do that.

I cracked up at the Dance Center note about Riker's hair: "He actually styles it that way" (or something like that)   Heeee.

I also liked Rumer's hobby, something about "yippee-kayaking." LOL. Nice play on words for Die Hard's famous line.

If I were Chris, I might have been a bit insulted about how Dance Center mocked him as if he has the math skills of a kindergartener, showing that video package with him trying to keep the beat. They made up for it a little bit with Len clarifying that he can count, he just can't count with the beat, but still... ouch.

One of the funniest was Nastia's, something about her favorite beverage being her opponents' tears, or something like that. Heee.

• Love 2

Seriously, I didn't think that Derek/Nastia package showed anything more than a few tired people getting a little snippy because they needed to break for the day. Non-drama drama. Happened to Rumer/Val last week.

Yeah, but did anyone make anything of the Val/Rumer package from last week?  Was anyone calling Val an ass?  I don't think so.

I understand that Derek is still the pro here, blah, blah, blah but they couldn't let Sasha stand with them when they got their results or even show him on camera?

Yes it may be "whatever" but I guess I don't see the issue because yeah, Derek is still her Pro, whatever one's feelings of him are. Who else was Nastia supposed to stand out there with, waiting for her results? Sasha got camera time last night performing the Paso and listening to the judges' comments after the Paso and with the trio and in all the interviews with Erin

Exactly.  Derek is still her pro.  So, he should be standing up there with Nastia, getting the results.  It's not like Sasha was forgotten.  From what I saw, he got a lot of face time last night.

• Love 1
What about the floor exercise? It may not be as expressive as ice skating, but they do dance to music and have to have rhythm and timing and fluidity and dance steps and movement in between their major jumps and gymnastic flips.

I did address the floor exercise and YMMV but I don't see a lot of rhythm, timing and fluidity in those floor exercises. I mentioned Mark's quote exactly related to that, that the music most times for those floor exercises is like "ear candy" meaning sure they move around to a beat or two but it's by no means some fluid, beautifully timed piece. When I look at most floor exercise routines, I barely pay attention to the music playing. And a perfect example of how doing the floor exercise does not equate to musicality or dance ability - Aly's specialty was the floor exercise, which she won the individual Gold medal for. And Aly had virtually no musicality and was extremely heavy footed in her dancing.

• Love 3

I thought it was fabulous.  But I love a strong, sexy mix of feminine and masculine look.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was decent from the front, but those little tails hanging off the back (that Erin was playing with at one point) were weird.

• Love 3
(edited)

What about the floor exercise? It may not be as expressive as ice skating, but they do dance to music and have to have rhythm and timing and fluidity and dance steps and movement in between their major jumps and gymnastic flips. And from what I understand, gymnasts may take dance lessons to help their performance in those kinds of routines.

Mark talked about that - he called the music "ear candy only" and mentioned how they literally don't do anything "to" the music, it just happens to be going on while they're doing other stuff. So there's not counting, and there's not really timing at all. Speaking of Travis Wall, he worked with Nastia on a floor routine and made sort of similar comments about how surprised he was about how different gymnasts approach a routine and how dancers do. 

Yeah, but did anyone make anything of the Val/Rumer package from last week?  Was anyone calling Val an ass?  I don't think so.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. It wasn't exactly the most non-assy thing of Val to say in camera blocking, "The reason I'm dragging you through the routine is because you're not going fast enough" while he got in her face and she couldn't breathe, but I didn't see anyone making a big deal about that one. I don't like when Val gets that intense, and was happy he admitted to that flaw this week, but at the end of the day, I can forgive bouts of short tempers. Some or all of them might be asses in real life, but much like Maddie Ziegler tonight (who I think has got to be a brat), if they can usually act professionally, and pull through for a beautiful or interesting performance I've been finding I don't care all that much? 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

Mark talked about that - he called the music "ear candy only" and mentioned how they literally don't do anything "to" to the music, it just happens to be going on while they're doing other stuff. So there's not counting, and there's not really timing at all.

I suppose that's true in general overall, but some of the gymnasts that I used to love watching seemed to add musicality to their floor routines. There's hand motions in time with the music, and twists and turns that go with the music. It may not be a dance routine like dancers do, but there is (or can be, depending on the gymnast) musical timing within their performance. I can recall gymnasts who would dance flirtatiously to the music, and time certain movements specifically to the beat to make for a more powerful or emotionally effective routine.

• Love 1

Dance Center made an epic return! I cracked up at Riker's nickname being "Hough," because of course it would. The funny thing is, is that I can easily related to Chris with the counting thing. Every time I try to count for piano (I'm a beginner), I get off beat super easily and the numbers get scrambled. And yes, I am one of those people when it comes to dance games, clapping along, or whatever, I am always doing the thing in the opposite direction and never on beat.

Also:

NOOoOoOo! Team Sharkaroo!!!! ;_; i was hoping they'd somehow slip by and get booted off next week (I love them, but they were either getting booted off this or next week).

They were just so darn likable.

I wanted Noah and Chris gone. And in a dream scenario, Nastia would have been booted off as a surprise third elimination. Sorry Nastia, you're a good dancer...you're just too bland for my tastes.

• Love 2

Somewhere over the Rainbow is not really a song Josh Groban's should keep in his repertoire, but the Maddie Ziegler dance was lovely. I wanted to dislike it because she seems like she might be a little shit, but damn, she moves beautifully.

And then her teeth get in the way of all the pretty dancing.  And I don't have to be nice because she's a professional now!  I swear they should have left the braces on her teeth for a few more years.  The problem with Maddie is that she's going to go out and try to get a real job some day and realize that she's been cosetted like a spoiled cat and that the real world doesn't care if she was god's gift to dance at ten.

Catty, but I can't stand that show or that child. I think we should demand more shirtless Artem instead!

I'm so over Derek. He's become Veruca Salt to me.  I half expect him to grab the mike out of Erin's hand and start running the interviews next.

This has to be the worst finals ever. 

And while on a major snarkfest, gymnats used to have musicality. It's a shame that there are generations now that have no idea that floor exercise used to be about grace and dance and music.  Now it's just a pounding rythme that girls bounce around to, but it used to be an art form.  Oksana Omelianchick is a great example for those who don't know her infamous bird music.  I'm sad that a sport I trained in and coached and loved is now unwatchable.

• Love 7

Loved the Travis Wall piece.  I've noted some sanctimonious reactions to it on SM.  I thought it had some really interesting choreo and I loved the use of the wooden ledges.  I know I should know the music, but I don't - anyone?

Dance Center just tickles me.  They are all so whack - the trailers were all kinds of awesome too.  I'm always super impressed with how Len plays it - do we know who writes his stuff?  I'm so glad to see it again.

I wish Noah were gone too.  I hope he's at least happy to be there still.

• Love 1

Yea! The return of Dance Center! Love the gold glitter eye makeup.

I'm OK with who went home and felt it was great for Chris to be so choked up...I felt a pang of sincerity and softness for him. He should have let that side come out because during the season I found him bland and robotic.

Don't assume Maddie is a brat...the moms are ridiculous but the kids get a kinder edit. If anything I feel sorry for them growing up on a toxic reality show of fakey flakiness.

I loved getting to see Artem in the paso trio again. He's swoony to me.

The edit tonight seemed like the producers way of saying, "nah...this is how she is."  Anyone else feel like they are putting her on blast?  That usually happens when behind the scenes production isn't a fan of the person.

Maybe they are, but I got more of the impression that Derek was a dick and this is why she was copping attitude. Do the producers realize that they're making their Golden Boy Special Flower of Whom's Ass the Sun Rises and Sets Upon, look bad? 

I'm not surprised that Meryl showed personality that Nastia seems to lack. Ice Skaters (especially Ice Dancers) take on a persona. They act when they perform. They have to show personality. Gymnasts need to be ice cold, dead on, flip in the air three times and land on the head of a pin. Look at the memes that poor McKayla Maroney got after her face on the medal podium after winning silver. The "McKayla is not impressed" face was everywhere! I think the glaring exception to that rule was Mary Lou Retton, who bounced off the walls, grinned and giggled her way onto cereal boxes, magazine covers and commercials. 

That said, I guess it depends on your perspective on the Nastia/Derek edits. Fans of Derek think she's being a bitch. Non-fans of Derek (of which I proudly belong) think he's a spoiled, catered to, dickheaded diva who berates and overworks his partners, which is why there always seems to be an injury issue with them each season.

• Love 4

If they did bring back the results show because viewers clamored for it, then I wish viewers would start seriously clamoring for traditional music that actually go with these dances!  I love to hear real samba or tango or anything that goes with the dance instead of some odd music the couple is frantically or sloooowly trying to place the rhythm of the dance to....  sigh!

• Love 6
(edited)

So Travis Wall choreographed a wall dance. I was trying to recognize all the SYTYCD alums, aside from Jenna, Allison, and Travis himself, but the lighting and camera work made that difficult. I thought I saw Robert and Kathryn. Was there anyone else?

I don't watch Dance Moms and only know Maddie Ziegler from that dreadful Sia video and all the performances it has spawned, so I was glad to see her not dressed like a pedophile's dream for a change.

As for the eliminations, no surprise there, really. I would have been just as happy with Noah leaving because I don't think at this point he can do anything that we haven't already seen him do. 

I thought too much was made of Nastia's edit, most of all by Nastia herself. So what if she prefers not to talk in a moment of frustration? Just own it and move on.

Finally, Erin's suit: I was so happy to see a woman on the show wear one, and thought Erin was rocking it, until I saw those awful strips of fabric hanging down each side. Way to ruin a great thing, wardrobe department.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
(edited)

I am grateful we saw a perfect example of how TPTB have helped ruin Erin's reputation/likeability.  In what universe was it a good idea to have a clearly scared-to-death Chris side-by-side with an already-through Noah?!  It was impossible.  I loved the WTF look on Sharna's face as it all went down.  

All season I have pooh-poohed all the showmance talk about Robert and Kym.  Now, however, after seeing Tom - who was clearly being the not-Tom clone - demanding that Robert address it, I have done a 180 and fully believe it's been as real as any.   I hope they had a great time and that the break-up is as absent of pain as humanly possible.

My Grinch heart actually grew for the OTR segment.  I had no clue who the little girl was, but I thought the three dancers were all charming.  It was an entirely lovely presentation.  I so wish this show were more about such than the flash and dash we have all seen.  

I agree with the posters who saw TPTB taking a real shot at Nastia with that package tonight.  If they were about getting her a Mirrorball, they would never have shown us those outtakes.

So great that we got a farewell Dance Center (this is Len's last year).  My favorite moment was the last:  Len as Mr. Potato Head.  Spot on and hilarious!  However, I know this piece was edited last week following the anniversary special and there was no real way of anticipating the Nastia rearing its ugly head as it did.  It was most unfortunate that the Kenny/Nastia "interview" was aired.  It was piling on.  It just was.  It was sad to see DC unwittingly a part of such.

This really is the worst semi-final the show has ever known.  Oh well.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

Sounds like they're making absolutely sure this is "Val's time" for the mirrorball - first getting Willow out of the way and now giving Nastia the bad-edit treatment.

• Love 4
(edited)

I did address the floor exercise and YMMV but I don't see a lot of rhythm, timing and fluidity in those floor exercises. I mentioned Mark's quote exactly related to that, that the music most times for those floor exercises is like "ear candy" meaning sure they move around to a beat or two but it's by no means some fluid, beautifully timed piece. When I look at most floor exercise routines, I barely pay attention to the music playing. And a perfect example of how doing the floor exercise does not equate to musicality or dance ability - Aly's specialty was the floor exercise, which she won the individual Gold medal for. And Aly had virtually no musicality and was extremely heavy footed in her dancing.

And then her teeth get in the way of all the pretty dancing.  And I don't have to be nice because she's a professional now!  I swear they should have left the braces on her teeth for a few more years.  The problem with Maddie is that she's going to go out and try to get a real job some day and realize that she's been cosetted like a spoiled cat and that the real world doesn't care if she was god's gift to dance at ten.

Catty, but I can't stand that show or that child. I think we should demand more shirtless Artem instead!

I'm so over Derek. He's become Veruca Salt to me.  I half expect him to grab the mike out of Erin's hand and start running the interviews next.

This has to be the worst finals ever. 

And while on a major snarkfest, gymnats used to have musicality. It's a shame that there are generations now that have no idea that floor exercise used to be about grace and dance and music.  Now it's just a pounding rythme that girls bounce around to, but it used to be an art form.  Oksana Omelianchick is a great example for those who don't know her infamous bird music.  I'm sad that a sport I trained in and coached and loved is now unwatchable.

Ha, I was actually going to post about Oksana when I read some of the previous posts about how floor routines are not musical these days because they really used to be. Even in the 80s and 90s, the best gymnasts on floor ex were beautiful dancers, their coaches picked music that matched their personalities, and the choreographers created routines that played to their strengths.

With the change in the code of points (which I LOATHE), artistry is no longer rewarded so there is no motivation to have actual dance in floor ex routines. It's opening pose, random arm movements, step back into the corner, tumbling pass, requisite leap, walk to the next corner, second tumbling pass, requisite double turn, requisite section down on the floor, get to the corner, third tumbling pass, more random arm movements, finishing pose. Even worse, most of the gymasts do the exact same moves because they are trying to maximize their scores. Gymnasts like Oksana would not thrive under this new code of points either because they would not be rewarded for their original moves (I still remember her back handspring quarter turn hip circle on the beam which would get her zero points today).

Dominique Moceanu was one of the last gymnasts I remember enjoying on floor. So many of the more recent gymnasts are like Aly Raisman, who was mentioned above. It's just tumbling with some leaps and other required elements in between. Nastia's floor routines were much more old school, which is why I liked her routines more than most, but I totally see what Travis was saying about the different way gymnasts approach their choreography. Part of it is all the requirements that have to be packed into the routine in order to get their start value as high as possible. And instead of counting, they can just listen for the big "ta da" moments in the music to hit their leaps and poses, which requires absolutely no musicality or dance ability at all. It's like knowing when to yell the BA BA BAAAA in Sweet Caroline, which even drunk people can manage at parties and baseball games.

I'm glad that Nastia is still in the competition because I would not have watched a final of Chris, Robert, and Noah. Good lord, that would have been painful. I can see why some people find her cold, but I'd rather watch Nastia actually dance than watch Noah just stand there for 90 seconds while Sharna dances around him. I don't mind Nastia's stoic face. Kelly Monaco had a similar stony look and way less dance ability and she managed to win S1. So yeah, I'm glad that Chris and Robert were eliminated this week. Please let Noah be the next to go. I feel kind of bad saying that, but it's a dance competition and he isn't really dancing (which, to be fair, is partly due to Sharna's choreography).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

The wall dance was awful.  What was up with the borderline abusive behavior?  They were shoving each other into walls.  Guess it just was not my style of dance.

• Love 4

It's too bad that Chris couldn't stay over Noah.  He's still not good, but he has been making progress and getting better.  I was surprised to see him get so emotional.  I don't think we've seen any improvement in Noah in several weeks . . . I'm thinking he's already doing all he can.  But still 2 of those 3 were the right ones to go.  Loved Robert's quick response to Tom, though.  Robert's a good sport.

I was glad that Rumer got the encore, although I almost would have preferred to see the rumba again.  But watching Val and Artem dance together any time is a treat. :)

I still don't think Nastia looked bad in her package at all.

Loved Josh Groban but had no interest in the contemporary kids.  Had even less interest when dh googled the name and found out that one kid they kept mentioning was a "Dance Moms" child.  Would rather  have seen another pros dance like the one done when Carly Rae was singing.  Loved the return of Dance Center.  I know a lot of folks seemed to feel that it wasn't funny any more, but I just love that these three guys are so willing to be ridiculous and have fun.  We certainly see a different side of Len, and who would have thought that Jerry Rice would wear sequins and blow kisses to the camera?  <lol>

I'm a bit confused now, though.  The past couple of seasons, they've had four couples in the finale.  They all do their freestyles, and then one is eliminated, and the remaining 3 couples do the final dance on Tuesday.  But this was week 8, so next week is 9, and the season usually runs 10 weeks.  So are they back to doing a semi-final where one couple will be eliminated next week and then only 3 couples will do freestyles?  Or is this season going to be a week shorter than usual?

• Love 2

I was disappointed Noah went through.  I have never warmed to him.  

I was confused why they had all of these other dancers, when they have their own dancers they could have featured?  They have so little time in their regular shows to do that and then finally have this full hour, and you don't see any of their own dancers perform?

• Love 2