Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: Week 8 Eliminations

• Start Topic

I agree that this is as competitive/close a semi as we've had.  The problem is that none of them have stood out in a special way.  I'll be darned if I can recall any genuine spark from any of them, although Rumer came close with the non-Rumba this week.  

I simply do not see the passion of expression.  Robert came closest for me, Willow next.  However, they were each in over their heads and have been rightly eliminated.  I've been outspoken as to the unfortunate votes which crown champions of likeability and charm over the best overall combination of that and dance.  I want the dancers to win.  Having said that, I am fine with 3 of the 4 and I am satisfied that Noah will not win.

If only any of the three legit dancers had any real spark, I''d be pretty happy.  

(edited)

Besides being the dullest, most boring, personality-deficient group of semi-finalists ever,imo, they all WANT TO WIN IN THE WORSTEST. WORSTEST WAY IN THE WORLD!!!!!! Yes, three can dance, but apart from that, gag me with a spoon!

Edited by just prin
(edited)

Rumer came close with the non-Rumba this week.

You know that Rumba looked a lot like the Rumba I was taught way back when. The opening basics, cucarachas,  the fan, rope turn... good thing it just wasn't me, Louis Van Amstel mentioned it on his twitter feed

Louis van Amstel @LouisVanAmstel  ·  May 4

Rumer/Val Rumba. That was a classic Rumba as was requested. Perfect Rumba timing. Intimate yet strong. Honest. Len will be very happy lol

This Rumba was a great educational dance for the audience to see what is proper Ballroom! Awesome scores and well deserved

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 9
(edited)

Personally I think this is the most interesting Final 4 in awhile. I knew and I think many others knew by what mid-season, if not earlier, that Alfonso would win last season and by the end I predicted exactly how the placement would shape out - Bethany in fourth, Janel in third, Sadie second and Alfonso the winner. Similarly, pretty much everyone knew Meryl had that win sewn up and it was just a question of who's coming in second. Even Season 17, I knew by mid-season that Amber was going to win because I knew Corbin just didn't have the voting fanbase to win even if he may have technically been the best dancer. 

I don't see that this season. Noah is a huge question mark because of his story and I can absolutely see him making it into the Final 3. I have a feeling Riker's voting base isn't as strong as maybe the producers hoped, especially with his multiple trips to being "in jeopardy",  but with some really high judges' scores to offset the viewer votes, I think he can squeak in there. Rumer looks like the likely winner but I don't know for sure what Rumer's fanbase is. It certainly seems like many like her from online comments but that's not always a sure thing and other than being Bruce and Demi's daughter, I just don't know that she had such a formidable pre-existing fanbase coming into the show. And Nastia is a BIG old question mark. 

She's gotten a not so great edit with the "you're cold, you don't connect" but her scores have been solid throughout the competition. And I do think more than anyone else left in the competition, she came in with a pretty decent sized pre-existing fanbase. Derek's injury and whether he will be able to fully dance at all by the end is a significant issue because it begs the question of what can he really pull out for the Freestyle if they make it to Final 3 and how will that shake out and will people vote for her with the odd situation of "well am I voting for her and Derek to win since technically he's her Pro but she's performing the dances with Sasha, etc." So that adds a level of complexity to the whole thing.

So honestly, for the first time in a long time with this show, I don't know for certain what's going to happen and I do think that makes for an interesting end to the season. Yes, they may not be the greatest personalities ever but YMMV, I didn't give a crap about Meryl and Maks in Season 18 (don't get me wrong, I appreciated her dance ability, I just didn't really care for them as a pairing) and Amy was awesome in what she was capable of but I wouldn't say I absolutely loved her, Candace was a bundle of nerves and anxiety, etc. Last season I didn't care about Janel, thought Sadie was overrated and Alfonso was cool but to be honest, I actually was not as wowed by Alfonso's dance ability and thought he got by on fun, energetic performances but he rarely impressed me with his Standard, slower dances. I did like Bethany because as an antisocial introvert myself, I loved her chill, almost zero fucks attitude about the whole thing. If she stayed, great, when she was voted off, whatever. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I find this season weirdly joyless. Has been so from the start IMO. I don't know if it's the super disorganized way everything plays out, the manipulations being more clumsy and obvious or the contestants. It's off for me. Agree that three of the final four dance well and it seems relatively open, but it doesn't entertain me in the way other seasons have. Noah, I admire him but his dancing isn't good and doesn't interest me. Riker...has Allison. Though he is a good performer. Rumer doesn't have enough of a spark for me and I've had issues with practically all of Val's choreo this season. Nastia is great at the technical side, but kind of muted as a performer and IMO not all of the material she's been given plays to her strengths either. There's nothing outstanding or sparkling this season for me.

Willow's elimination made me sad, but even when she was there the show was kinda...off for me. I did sorely miss her this week, tough. IMO Robert, Noah and Chris didn't offer much and since they made up half of the dancing it dragged the show down even further. It's all been very muted IMO. I don't enjoy this season like I have the last two, even though I agree that the winners were way more predictable and at least in theory it wasn't as "exciting".

• Love 2

For me compared to the last 2 seasons this one has been fantastic. I am not impressed with Maks as a  teacher, and his season with Meryl well, I just didn't watch to be honest because I knew it was going to be a done deal from the moment the ice dancer who took ballroom lessons for years in order to win the Olympics signed on to do the show. I watched the finale show on youtube a couple of days ago, I actually fell asleep, and geez the hype over them as a couple was laughable. I can't believe that people fall for that crap.

I also have to agree with the post regarding Alfonso, his ballroom dances were not great, and the hype over the Carlton was ridiculous. Deliver me from gimmicky dance moves that drunk guys do at weddings. Must we dumb it down for everyone?

At least this season we get to learn about new faces on the scene, it feels more like a season 8 where the best dancers aren't necessarily household names but the suspense over who will win is exciting. Any of the finalists could have a great moment in the finale  

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree that this is as competitive/close a semi as we've had.  The problem is that none of them have stood out in a special way.  I'll be darned if I can recall any genuine spark from any of them, although Rumer came close with the non-Rumba this week.  

This is where I am.  For me, not only is this season the first one in a long time with no standout excellent dancers, it's also the first one in a long time with no standout terrible dancers, and it's just led to a big pile of nothing.  Last season we started off with Lolo and worked our way up to Alfonso.  This season we're going to start off with Redfoo and work our way up to... Rumer?  Nastia?  Redfoo seemed to lack fanbase and Charlotte's personality came across poorly on TV, but I can't really say that either of them was a significantly worse dancer than anyone else in the semi-finals.  

The entire season has been a big bunch of "meh" to me.  If you ask me who the worst dancer of the whole season is just in terms of sheer awkwardness and inability to put his feet down at the right time and in the right place, I'd have to go with Chris (though a case could be made for various others).  And Chris came in fifth?  To me it's just been a random assortment of people, different from each other but not really decisively better or worse than each other, who were booted off the show in more or less random orders.  Everyone is just kind of there.

I want to cast my vote for Miss Patti circa 1975.  Or maybe Willow circa 2025.  Meh to the rest of them.

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 3

Over the Rainbow, sung by Jewel, danced by Dmitry and Chelsie. Can't help but share this, it's one of my favorite dances ever on the show:

I like Josh Groban just fine, but I won't rewatch last night's performance, as I have with the Jewel/Dmitry/Chelsie version.

I mentioned this too when I was watching - fantastic dance! One of my favorites, as Dmitri and Chelsie always had great chemistry and movement.

• Love 1

Please all of you who want to watch a dance show WITHOUT actual good dancing, please go watch something else.

Huh?

There is good dancing on this show, however there is also a ton of really BAD dancing too.

I am sad to see Robert and Chris go - while not up to the dancing standards of Rumer, Nastia, or Riker (wonky frame and all) they seemed to be enjoying the processing and actually LEARNING to dance .... (well, Chris did after a few weeks).  

• Love 1

Whatever happened to Chelsie??

Has Chelsie been on since her famous, "They speak Spanish in South America?" line with Helio in the all-star season?  Just kidding. I love Chelsie and would like to see her again.  

The way I see it is that she got replaced by all the other interchangeable blondes. They pulled Peta from the toupe and made her a Pro and then they brought in Witney and Lindsay, who were just like versions of Chelsie with the blonde, Utah, having competed on SYTYCD and then at that point they just figured they really didn't need her again.

It's funny having Allison now as a Pro and all the reactions to her because I remember how back at TWOP when Chelsie first came on, there were some negative comments about her suggesting that her being brought on was almost insulting to the Pros and the show scraping the bottom of the barrel. Which never made sense to me as Chelsie was a competitive ballroom dancer and that was her style. 

It's funny having Allison now as a Pro and all the reactions to her because I remember how back at TWOP when Chelsie first came on, there were some negative comments about her suggesting that her being brought on was almost insulting to the Pros and the show scraping the bottom of the barrel. Which never made sense to me as Chelsie was a competitive ballroom dancer and that was her style. 

Chelsie's debut on the show followed that of Lacey who was a much less accomplished ballroom dancer.  I was soundly against Lacey joining the show but I didn't have a problem with Chelsie because she did have the credentials.  

(edited)

She was just on that Dancing Pros Live tour that Edyta runs with her husband. Karina was in it as well.

Chelsie's debut on the show followed that of Lacey who was a much less accomplished ballroom dancer.  I was soundly against Lacey joining the show but I didn't have a problem with Chelsie because she did have the credentials.

I read an interesting interview awhile ago where it was almost implied that the show "settled" for Lacey after Burn The Floor wouldn't let Sharna out of her contract since she was the lead at the time. (2009ish)

Edited by CED9

I also have to agree with the post regarding Alfonso, his ballroom dances were not great, and the hype over the Carlton was ridiculous.

Hee. He was on America's Funniest Home Videos this past Sunday with Tom Bergeron showing him how to do the Carlton Dance. Let it go, dude. We're over it.

I do agree it's a real toss-up for the win this year so that at least makes it somewhat more interesting than some past seasons. They've all got hurdles to overcome - Rumor and Riker both have questionable fanbases and Derek may or not be able to stay in the game until the end. And it's possible nobody will be able to overcome the voting bloc for Noah, and unlike (say) Bristol Palin the judges don't seem to willing to score Noah low enough to overcome the voting bloc. I guess it's all a numbers game.

I read an interesting interview awhile ago where it was almost implied that the show "settled" for Lacey after Burn The Floor wouldn't let Sharna out of her contract since she was the lead at the time. (2009ish)

Seriously??  I was not a Lacey fan, but would rather have her over Sharna and her bad dye job.

• Love 3

Seriously?? I was not a Lacey fan, but would rather have her over Sharna and her bad dye job.

That makes one of us. You feel how you feel.

I would rather have Lacey than Peta or Allison or Witney.  I love Sharna and her dye job.  She's pretty raunchy, but I forgive her because she's also super talented and often very creative.  I like Peta more than I used to, but she is so harsh in her dancing and dressing.  Allison is just too one note.  Witney has drunk the koolaid and is going to be or is already one of their pros who acts out the story tptb think will bring in viewers.  I would also rather have Chelsie than those three.

Why not both?

Sharna came out swinging with Andy Dick and had a lot of creative routines with him. Her Mad Hatter jazz is one of my favorite routines from the last few seasons. She's not perfect, but I find she shares strong qualities with some of the pros who are better teachers, like Kym and Karina.

I loathed Lacey her first season with Lance but she really grew on me over the years. It's funny because while she did stick out a bit from the other pros her first season, I think she's pretty much the perfect pro for what the show has evolved into. She has just enough ballroom training where she's not horribly out of her depth, like Allison.

Tying the topic back to Tuesday night, I really wish we'd get more pro numbers and invite former pros. That way the 10th anniversary can be celebrated all season long. I feel like if I've seen one performance of a Dance Mom's kid leaping around I've seen them all.

• Love 2

Lacey was different in that she didn't have much Ballroom training, but she competed and won Latin titles, so she had WAY more of an idea how to teach and choreograph than Allison does.

Plus Lacey was the edgy feel they want to make happen with Allison and she was able to choreograph dances that didn't start at 90 mph and stay that way the whole time. I get the feeling though, Lacey doesn't want to come back as a pro.

It's not that there aren't good dancers left--there certainly are. It's just that the partnerships and the personalities have felt a bit flat this season (except, perhaps, for Artem and Patti, who seemed to truly enjoy working together). Maybe that wouldn't be true if we got more actual rehearsal footage and more backstage footage. Seeing that in this results show made me realize how much I missed seeing the post-dance confessionals, the little pre-dance pep talks the dancers would be giving their partners. All those great candid moments. I'd also love to see less focus on theme weeks, one fewer judge, and much, much less "production value" in the dances. All the props and sets and extra dancers just take up time and space without adding true value to the show. 

• Love 7

I don't think Travis' routine was anymore advocating violence than a Paso does.  I love his dances.  Two in particular, How it Ends and Turn to Stone, are favorites of mine from SYTYCD.  I watch them frequently, and I'm still moved by them.  Check them out if you haven't seen them.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this season.

On one hand, Rumer, Riker and Nastia are very good dancers.  That's something we've really not ever seen - three that could win in any season.  Usually it's one good dancer and a few ok ones at the end.  Or, like in the season of Brooke Burke, no good dancers at all.  On the other hand, I feel like any personality the show had this season left when Redfoo, Patti, Willow and Robert were booted off.  I also miss pros like Karina, Louis, Cheryl and Maks.   Not a fan of Allison and her frantic dances.  But there are a few good adds - Artem (yum), Emma, Sharna and even Witney. 

I totally want Rumer to win and if not her, Riker.   And I'm sure I'll get struck by lightening, but I'm very tired of Noah.  Yes, he's done great things.  And yes, there should be a weekly show that features his abs.  But he isn't really dancing.  There are things that he simply cannot do through no fault of his own.  He should have been gracefully gone weeks ago.

• Love 5

It's not that there aren't good dancers left--there certainly are. It's just that the partnerships and the personalities have felt a bit flat this season (except, perhaps, for Artem and Patti, who seemed to truly enjoy working together). Maybe that wouldn't be true if we got more actual rehearsal footage and more backstage footage. Seeing that in this results show made me realize how much I missed seeing the post-dance confessionals, the little pre-dance pep talks the dancers would be giving their partners. All those great candid moments. I'd also love to see less focus on theme weeks, one fewer judge, and much, much less "production value" in the dances. All the props and sets and extra dancers just take up time and space without adding true value to the show.

I think that's the point of the All Access show that streams during the East Coast airing. They interview every couple, and one or more of the eliminated pros are there to critique each dance, and they have funny BTS video packages with the couples.

I know it would be a pain to livestream that whilst watching the show though.

I've watched All Access three times this season, liked it better than I expected. It streams twice - during the east coast and west coast feeds - so you can watch it during whichever time period you prefer. Of course, only the east coast can pick which to watch first.

The cameras show different settings, but the audio for all feeds is the Gethin Jones and company interview audio. So you can skip around and get different views without missing the discussion. No Gethin feed during the results show, but the cameras are still there; I tuned in the last few minutes this week and *boy* did Len look grim when he wasn't "on".

The "makeup mirror" feed is actually of the skybox from the corner where they have a makeup mirror set up; you really see the skybox.

I think that's the point of the All Access show that streams during the East Coast airing. They interview every couple, and one or more of the eliminated pros are there to critique each dance, and they have funny BTS video packages with the couples.

I wish they would archive those for people to watch later.  I am not a fan of trying to multi-task for entertainment.  (Not really a fan of trying to multi-task anytime tbh.)  But when I'm watching the show, I want to watch the show.  I don't want to have to balance my laptop on my lap and try to split my attention between the tv screen and computer screen and try to figure out what's going on with one earphone in trying to hear what's going on on All Access (so I don't disturb the others I watch with) and one ear trying to hear the tv.  I wouldn't end up enjoying any part of it if I tried to do that.  But I would most definitely watch later, if we had that option.  I'm definitely over the show's attempts to be hip and edgy or whatever with the twitter voting and all access that leaves a large part of the audience out of things.

• Love 6

I liked the wall dance - it made me realize why people who watch SYTYCD liked Allison. I just don't feel that she's a good fit on DWTS, though.

• Love 1

The pro I can't stand is Emma. I think she is trashy and not very good. I lumped Sharna and Emma together for awhile, but Sharna has grown on me while Emma is loathsome IMO. She could dance with the best contestant ever and I would still not like her. 

I have to say I don't watch this show for the pros--they are all well-paid and presumably are at the same technically proficient level, and lucky to have this venue to showcase their considerable talents. I confess I can't even remember most of their names from season to season or which pro won in past seasons.

I was sorry to hear that Chris and Robert are gone this week, but I figured they would skate for awhile, being part of the ABC family. I don't mind, because I don't remember when this show changed its name to Dancing With the Stars Who Are Really Good Dancers. Maybe ABC needs a show like that, without the viewer/"fanbase" vote, but I want to see the dance progress of celebrities, especially the most untalented uncoordinated shleps out there who are chugging along getting a little better every week (Woz, I am talking to you! Loved you!), and once they are all gone, so am I. At that point it seems like the marketing politics that dictated which pro gets which dancer reappear and the preordainment of the winner becomes obvious.

But I do love reading these boards and am impressed about the amazing level of dance knowledge, which has to be far beyond the average viewer's level. I think I am watching for different reasons.

and presumably are at the same technically proficient level

I think this is what they ... tried to aim for? ... but failed miserably at. They might all be technically proficient at dance, but definitely not the same style. I've read that Kym, for example, competed more heavily in the standard dances, while Karina competed in Latin. Each pro was taught and could teach any ballroom style, but each had what they were good at. And Allison, well, she's great at contemporary, but that's a dance that shouldn't be on the show. That's SYTYCD exists.

The problem is when they throw in the extra crap. Contemporary is not something the pros were generally taught, nevertheless competed in. They might be able to sneak something by with jazz, but that's only because it's more forgiving (IMO) and become the not-finale freestyle. Forget Bollywood or burlesque. Heck, didn't even Derek admit that he had no idea what to do when confronted with the Charleston (or, for that matter, Bollywood)? He admitted that with those dances he had to do homework to even begin to choreograph a dance, nevertheless teach it.

• Love 1

I thought all contemporary routines had that angsty, self-involved, throwing-around-of-the-bodies thing.  Allison and Travis are masters.  And that little Maddie.  

I doubt the majority of viewers care who trained in what.  Seeing Derek dance contemporary or Kym do Bollywood or whatever is all the dance they're exposed to, and they think it's terrific.  I have never cared who trained in what, but I have to admit Allison in ballroom is kind of ... something's a little off.  But I don't really care because it's DANCING with the Stars, not BALLROOM with the Stars, and even her hard-edged ballroom is pretty ok for a Monday night.  

I thought Rumer was clearly more into the Paso tonight than last night, but the boys didn't seem quite as energized or something

I thought Val and Artem were pretty consistent, I think Rumer also did an even stronger encore which was great for her to be able to shine in a dance designed for the man, with two of the best male paso dancers on the show. If the encore is better than the performance dance, that is a sign that the contestant is striving to improve and I appreciate that about Rumer. 

(edited)

...as to the Shaping Sounds Travis Wall piece, domestic violence?  Really?  What are the "SM Boards"?  I think I made out Nick, Teddy and Jaimie along with Travis, Allison and Jenna - a bit of hunting around leads me to believe that Kyle and Chantel were the final two.  The ladies were tossing the men around pretty equally so I just don't understand how one gets to "domestic violence" from the piece (for the record I got romantic desperation out of it).  All in the eyes of the beholder I guess, and I understand that a lot of ballroom enthusiasts don't appreciate that contemporary keeps creeping more and more into the show - but since the Macy's pieces it has been been a focus on results shows, anyways.  I also understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. @crowceilidh, if the song seemed familiar to you it's because NappyTabs did a group piece to it in S5 of SYTYCD.

Speaking of "contemporary" I noticed Maddie's teeth and constipated lyrical face dancing with Brynn and Jaycee, both of whom are every bit as accomplished as the bratty teeth, and it looked to me that perhaps the teeth fell out of a turn.  I refuse to watch it again so there is that.  I actually do watch the show and Maddie does seem to be getting a big head these days, it will be interesting to see where she is 5-10 years down the road.

Why exactly is Noah still here?  I guess it's like Amy last season.  I don't hate anyone, dancer or pro (except Lacey), I'm sad that Robert left though it was his time and I guess I'll have to read about all the "bad stuff" Riker, Rumer, et al are doing since I just caught up with this season.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Speaking of "contemporary" I noticed Maddie's teeth and constipated lyrical face dancing with Brynn and Jaycee, both of whom are every bit as accomplished as the bratty teeth, and it looked to me that perhaps the teeth fell out of a turn.  I refuse to watch it again so there is that.  I actually do watch the show and Maddie does seem to be getting a big head these days, it will be interesting to see where she is 5-10 years down the road.

I confess that I do watch Dance Moms now and then. Maddie seems to have only 2 performing faces: her standard clownish grin and her constipated lyrical face.  She ALWAYS falls out of her turns. What I found interesting was on All-Access on Saturday when Riker and Allison were rehearsing, Gethin dropped in for a visit and mentioned Maddie.  Allison said she'd been training Maddie since Maddie was little.  She didn't elaborate on how much she's trained her or how often but it surprised me that Allison had been training her for years. (Bet Abby Lee won't be too happy to have that publicized :) hehe)

• Love 1

@Uke, I'll bet that Allison "training" Maddie means teaching master classes at workshops that they've all attended, unless of course Abby has Allison in to do classes from time to time.  Allison is originally from Orem, Utah, which is probably how she has the connections that allow her to be a pro on this show though she never competed in ballroom (except on SYTYCD).

Oh, and about the wall dance, lolz, for all those SYTYCD S2 megafans that always wanted to see Travis and Allison dance, their wish came true, I guess.

@Uke, I'll bet that Allison "training" Maddie means teaching master classes at workshops that they've all attended, unless of course Abby has Allison in to do classes from time to time.  Allison is originally from Orem, Utah, which is probably how she has the connections that allow her to be a pro on this show though she never competed in ballroom (except on SYTYCD).

Oh, and about the wall dance, lolz, for all those SYTYCD S2 megafans that always wanted to see Travis and Allison dance, their wish came true, I guess.

I don't know. I think Allison trained in NYC for awhile and taught (co-taught?) classes on the side. Trips to NYC from PA would be no big deal. It could have been just master classes but I got the impression it was more.

I didn't get a domestic violence vibe from the wall dance either. It was just typical flailing angsty contemporary. The big wall prop was the Emmy bait (see also: the bench dance, the door dance, the bed dance, the table dance, etc. from SYTYCD).

The ladies were tossing the men around pretty equally so I just don't understand how one gets to "domestic violence" from the piece (for the record I got romantic desperation out of it).

Well first of all, domestic violence is not just men abusing women. Women abusing their male partners (or for that matter, man on man and woman on woman abuse) would also be domestic violence. What I saw in the dance was a bunch of people with angry expressions violently shoving each other into walls. What wasn't clear was whether the characters were supposed to be in romantic relationships (which would make it domestic violence) or not (which would make it plain violence), but any way you slice it, it was a violent dance. If they were supposed to be symbolic of battling emotions or something rather than literal people fighting, they could have done a better job of making that clear with costuming and such.

• Love 2

Dance is metaphorical in nature.  When you go to a ballet, f'rinstance, the plot of the story could be told in 2 minutes, the rest of the hours are taken up with dancing that expresses emotion and/or demonstrates physical prowess (which generally refers to some emotional experience). The dancers do not have some specific costume that says, "we're being metaphorical now".  Since the first caveman took some time out of the story of the hunt to dance his triumph or fear or whatever happened back then, dance is culturally accepted to be more than mere plot or demonstration of physical prowess.  Therefore, as with all art, what the audience brings to it is usually more reflective of the audience than the intention of the choreographer.  

I watched the wall dance and thought that it was more a demonstration of physical prowess with a clever prop than a story or an interpretation of the events/emotions of a story -- because I find angsty posturing to be so cliche as to have any emotional effect be generally rendered null and void by my boredom with it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I felt the wall dance was about the inner struggles of people/couples and how none of that is really private. We struggle to keep our lives private from our community but it bleeds over and is noticed by others as while as both affected and affects the Society.

The song played a key part in my interpretation. Also the nature of the open walls, the dancers coming over walls as well as the intimacy of each couple before it bleeds over to each other. The aggressive nature of the cheorgaphy too.

Edited by tarotx

I was taken aback when the wall dance started, as I found the opening to have some domestic violence overtones, but as the choreography progressed, I did find the presentation to have more nuance and less about beating on each other. Still, I found the whole thing uncomfortable and I felt like they should have gone in a different direction with the dance.

• Love 1

Dance is metaphorical in nature.  When you go to a ballet, f'rinstance, the plot of the story could be told in 2 minutes, the rest of the hours are taken up with dancing that expresses emotion and/or demonstrates physical prowess (which generally refers to some emotional experience). The dancers do not have some specific costume that says, "we're being metaphorical now".  Since the first caveman took some time out of the story of the hunt to dance his triumph or fear or whatever happened back then, dance is culturally accepted to be more than mere plot or demonstration of physical prowess.  Therefore, as with all art, what the audience brings to it is usually more reflective of the audience than the intention of the choreographer.  

I watched the wall dance and thought that it was more a demonstration of physical prowess with a clever prop than a story or an interpretation of the events/emotions of a story -- because I find angsty posturing to be so cliche as to have any emotional effect be generally rendered null and void by my boredom with it.

Agree with this.  A lot of times, the choreographers don't even mind if the audience have different interpretations of their dances.  They just want the dancers to feel something.

I also agree with the second paragraph.  But I watch a lot of SYTYCD and live contemporary shows.  A piece has to be truly unique in order for me to feel something.

• Love 1

Well first of all, domestic violence is not just men abusing women. Women abusing their male partners (or for that matter, man on man and woman on woman abuse) would also be domestic violence. What I saw in the dance was a bunch of people with angry expressions violently shoving each other into walls. What wasn't clear was whether the characters were supposed to be in romantic relationships (which would make it domestic violence) or not (which would make it plain violence), but any way you slice it, it was a violent dance. If they were supposed to be symbolic of battling emotions or something rather than literal people fighting, they could have done a better job of making that clear with costuming and such.

The whole dance was a mess IMO and it did depict violence.  And ITA that domestic violence happens in all formats, not just with men as the aggressors.