Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E07: Week 7: Eras

• Start Topic

The seven remaining couples will perform an iconic number from a different time period on “Era’s Night,” MONDAY, APRIL 27 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET). Dance styles include Modern Charleston, Contemporary, Argentine Tango and a futuristic Jazz number. The couple with the highest overall score of the night will be granted immunity from elimination. The remaining couples will then compete in a dance-off to earn extra judges’ points in an effort to increase their overall score. At the end of the night, one couple will be sent home.

Noah Galloway dancing 70's Jazz

Robert Herjavec dancing an 80's Argentine Tango

Nastia Liukin dancing a Modern Charleston

Riker Lynch dancing a 20's Quickstep

Willow Shields dancing a Futuristic Jazz

Chris Soules dancing a 40's Foxtrot

Rumer Willis dancing a 60's Jive

The show seems to be making itself up as it goes along. The latest per Tom, week 7 will have a single elimination on Monday. On Tuesday we have the anniversary episode, with the double elimination beeing postponed until 5/5.

I worry Mark is going to take the Futuristic Jazz so to heart he might actually try to beam them both into space.

And if he success then he should win everything because that would be awesome.   

Noah doing jazz .... I guess that's more of Sharna twirling around him with a few impressive lifts thrown in for good measure meaning we're stick with him for another week (at least).

Ugh.

• Love 2

well I've missed half of the show either because of the riots in Baltimore special reports or because Comcast totally screwed the pooch.  Got to tune in just in time to see Nastia and Sasha's scores.  And then there was the ninjas.

Starting off my night with my favorite: classy Tony. Bonus for special appearance from classy Artem. This was a much better opening number than Mandy Moore's usually club grinding. I wish DWTS would stay on that course.

No Derek! Hello Sasha! I kinda love him and how he's taking the fact he's Derek's understudy in stride.

One of Riker's better dances, but I'm surprised Len didn't nitpick on the breaking hold.  Also ... I don't think there was ever a scenario where a flapper dressed up to go to a baseball game. Sorry, Allison. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm ever going to like you.

Weird question: does Riker bleach his hair? I think that's what annoys me about him the most - the dark roots with his floppy hair.

I like the 40s and the romanticism of WWII and all that so I liked Chris and Whitney's theme. The good thing about Chris is I feel like he's trying to improve. That's where he and Robert excel, IMO.

Nice to see Len's as tired of the troupe showing up in all the dances and swallowing the star. Val did a nice job using them but keeping them in the background this week.

Noah's dance was fun, but I'm skeptical of the 10s. You're not a gang leader, Noah. You're playing the part of a pimp.

I was missing the 80s in Robert and Kym's Argentine tango. But at the same time I can't really think of any defining characteristics of the 80s. Shoulder pads? Androgeny? Punk? Big hair? None of that is really great for an Argentine Tango. Definitely the hardest theme of the night, I think.

I liked Nastia and Sasha. Can Sasha come back? I was kind of sad that they got a higher score than Riker, if only because I didn't really want Riker and Allison to overdance in the danceoff.

Mark's theme: ninjas. Great. And it's not even a theme like everyone else, where they evoked the spirit of their decade. It's just another theme. In what world are ninjas futuristic? Derek's futuristic paso was much better. Also, is Willow going to ever do a proper ballroom bance again? Or maybe she has (last week was a salsa?) and her dances are always overshadowed by Mark's themes.

Rough that Chris had to dance off against Rumer. Sorry Chris.

Robert must have quite the fanbase. I like that. But ooooohhhhh.... surprise elimination! Ryker's face was a great WTF look when Tom said one of the high scorers was to be eliminated. I kind of want to screencap that. I'm shocked ... but not shocked at the same time ... that it was Willow. Is it mean to say I wish it was Riker, just because I dislike Allison that much?

Also, I love Tom. He really holds the show together.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 5

I missed most of Robert's tango so someone needs to explain the squirrel reference.  But the last 15 seconds of that...I'm not sure I need to ship them or be confused by it all. 

Also what was the explanation of moving the double elimination, because of Derek?

The highlight was Len calling Sharna (and thus everyone) over the over use of the other dancers.  The lowlight is whoever picked the cha cha song for Noah vs Robert.  It didn't do either couple any favours.  

Finally, dammit Chris and Noah (who i don't mind) are still here and Willow gets tossed.  Show you never fail to confound me. I'm not a major Mark fan but I'll give it to him: with Sadie and Willow, he is an encouraging partner and teacher for the younger set.  Poor girl looks devastated.  Only way to rectify it is both men are bounced next week. One is not improving and the other has been given way too much leeway. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 4

Erin: You win immunity!
Derek: Hell yeah we do!!! We're the best! I'm a creative genius!!! I AM THE NEXT FRED AST--oh wait, Mark and Willow still have to go!
Erin: Oh yeah!
Erin looks away from the script.
Erin: FOR NOW. YOU HAVE IMMUNITY FOR NOW.

Willow's reaction was heartbreaking. It's a fucking travesty that Robert, Noah, and Chris are all there. No other way to put it.

• Love 18

So done with this show. Willow goes home before Chris and Noah?

Total bull. (yeah, I know votes or lack thereof are what did her in but really?)

I must say I prefer Nastia with Sasha. I felt a connection between the two of them. In six weeks, never felt one with her and Derek.

• Love 13

This is one of the worst eliminations I have ever seen!!  She should have had immunity tonight based on their fantastic Ninja dance.  I am totally shocked!!

And we are still saddled with Golden Boy even though he is not dancing.  And the annoying Rumor and Riker, live to dance another week.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 3

Normally I find it tacky when the pros go off on Twitter, but if Val wanted to let it rip tonight and call Carrie Ann an idiot, I would applaud. Serious, a fucking 10 to Noah? To Noah?! The man, does. not. dance. He walks back and forth while Sharna dances around him. Is she high? She seriously  thought Noah's dance was one of the best in the show's history? And she thought he danced better than Rumer tonight? It's time for her to go. If they want a fourth judge who is female, bring in Karina or Anna.

What a travesty that Chris and Noah are there and WIllow was sent home. Bullshit on that, and bullshit on Nastia's immunity.

• Love 23

Poor Willow, it's a shame that she got eliminated while Chris, Robert and Noah are still there. I don't get the 10 for Noah. Was anyone suprised that Derek and Nastia got immunity? No didn't think so.

• Love 10

I'm not sure whose head could be further up his own ass, Mark or Derek. It's like Nastia doesn't exist, it's just the Derek show. And I have to think Willow and Mark leaving was because the idea of Mark and all his pretentious bullshit winning is vomit inducing. Sorry you got such a tool, Willow!

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 5

Poor Willow! Just when I was thinking she's the most likeable out of this lot, she goes home. And she was so happy winning that dance-off. Thanks a lot, people!

• Love 10

I am appalled at the judges voting tonight (well most nights). Who are they judging Rumer against??? She gets lower votes than Noah and barely more than Chris?? And willow goes home? Nastia's dance was a lot of "messing about" as Len would say but because its Golden Boy's partner he loves it??? Give me a break....

• Love 9

Willow's reaction was heartbreaking. It's a fucking travesty that Robert, Noah, and Chris are all there. No other way to put it.

We lost her dancing skills and Mark's amazing creativity in one awful stroke. Will Noah ever be eliminated? His time is so up already. Chris and Robert are at least showing some improvement, but either of them going before Willow/Mark would have also made sense.

This leaves Rumer and Nastia and possibly Riker for F3--assuming Noah's fan base isn't so big that he's there till the end. I didn't mind for a few weeks, but he truly cannot dance and the choreography for him is beyond boring.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 7

I really need Noah to leave so I can stop feeling guilty about hating him.  He's doing about a bajillion times better than I would do with similar physical limitations.  That's unfortunately still at least twice as bad as his nearest competitor.  Time to go home, dude.  

• Love 23

The cynic in me has this weird feeling that we will see Mark next week partnering Nastia.

I wouldn't mind seeing this (sort of like a switch-up week), but it would be unfair to Nastia to be bounced around by so many partners. I thought she and Sasha had pretty nice rapport together too, and she exuded appropriate joy in that routine.

Willow and Mark were SO close to getting immunity, and I so wish they had so they wouldn't be eliminated. Even before they were announced, Willow knew it would be them since they were in the bottom two with Rumer and Val. She had some technique issues but I really liked her partnership with Mark and her attitude. I was hoping for her to spoil the whole thing.

Really, really thought it would be Riker going home - it would've made me a happy camper. I don't know Allison from anything other than this show, but something about her over-the-topness makes me tired just watching her.

Otherwise, I will reluctantly admit that Chris actually showed improvement. As for Noah and Sharna, I think it's a testament to Sharna's choreographic skill that the whole thing came off pretty seamlessly. I think she's gotten better at choreographing for one side and jazz gave her the freedom to do so. Noah has improved on the hip thrusts and playing to the audience.

Oh Robert...your obvious delight at doing this show makes it a joy to watch, but the dancing is not really keeping up, which was particuarly evident in that dance-off round.

• Love 5

I wasnt the biggest Willow fan but her leaving over Chris and Robert is insane. 

That look of anger on Val's face while in jeopardy - that was the sound of his ego crashing hard. Kind of funny they decided to ditch the double elimination this week, eh?

• Love 3

I have a very distraught 5 year old. We were all rooting for Willow from the beginning. 

Riker and Allison were slightly less frantic this week, so that's an improvement on their most common critique. Rumer was less intense and more fun, so also an improvement. Nastia definitely seemed to be having more fun and more of a connection. In fact, I think everyone improved on something this week. 

• Love 4

Poor Willow, but Tom tweeted about a shocking elimination earlier if somebody didn't win immunity tonight and the only four the show would consider shocking are Riker, Rumer, Nastia and Willow...so I had a feeling it was Willow.  She had a fairly forgettable dance last week unfortunately.  Riker had a stronger night last week and was at least comfortably safe on top of the leaderboard.

Tonight? I don't understand Noah's 10 at all.  I don't understand how Carrie Anne could think Noah danced better than Rumer, but I also think Rumer is a WAY stronger standard dancer than latin dancer.  So I don't think 9's were undeserved for that jive.  It was nice and clean and full of content, but also sort of slow and careful at the same time.  Her foxtrot in the dance off was so much better than her jive.

I actually liked Nastia's dance with Sasha tonight when I subtracted the Derek from it.  It was totally unnecessary for Derek to put himself in the dance.

Also did anyone else notice that Rumer got 2 full packages tonight?  One before the break with her father and then another about her frustration/slight injury after the fact?  Thought that was interesting.

I liked Riker's quickstep, but was shocked judges didn't call him out on a break in the hold.  His salsa was a hot mess though.

That look of anger on Val's face while in jeopardy - that was the sound of his ego crashing hard. Kind of funny they decided to ditch the double elimination this week, eh?

Val was pissed from the second their dance ended and the judges started their critique.  But I do think he honestly thought they were going home for a hot minute there.  Also the way he's tweeting you can tell he's worried about votes for next week.  Dude is pissed.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

He's injured and it's still THE DEREK SHOW! I'm seriously bowled over by Corn Child's ability to make it all about himself. Vom-inducing.

Seriously dude, you choreographed the routine. Take a damn seat and let Nastia dance. I don't find it to be a coincidence that tonight is the first night she shined and exuded chemistry with a partner. Sasha seems like an excellent partner, and I'm hoping to see more of his moves.

Rumer is one of the best left and her scores were bs. How in hell's bells is she so close to Bachelor Chris?!

Noah doesn't dance. Period. Those scores were sheer lunacy. I adore Sharna and the concept was entertaining, but that was an 8 at best.

Riker and Allison were great, but I think that 10 was preplanned. On no planet does Len give a 10 while Bruno gives a 9.

I just love Robert and Kym. So much joy exudes when they dance.

... But they should have left before Willow. And on that subject, Noah and Chris should have left before Robert. I'm unable to fathom why she's going home when there are so many weaker ones left.

Riker and Nastia have the same resting bitch face problem.

Julianne needs to tuck her tiny boobs away.

Tom is the heart of the show. It's hard to watch a 14-year-old's heart break, but he handled it with great aplomb.

And I can't say enough about Mark. He's obviously a class act and a great teacher. He looks like he will be a great dad one day.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 19

Well guess I was right in calling Willow not getting viewer votes, earlier in the season. But I actually hoped I was wrong because I really grew to like her and thought she was a beautiful and hard working young woman and definitely deserved to last longer in the competition. I felt so bad for her when they were eliminated (and I think Mark saw it coming the second it came down to them and Rumer/Val) and suddenly the 14 year old in her came out in full force with the tears. Tom giving her that hug was so cute. But seriously, for all that is good, whoever is voting for Chris - kindly please stop.

"Hop Along Hough" is now my official name for Derek. Tom kills on that show. Nastia and Sasha were adorable and I though the NY Subway theme/set for the dance was really cute. I wouldn't say I was as in love with it as the judges and it wasn't my favorite Charleston on the show but it was pretty fun and about the only dance with some energy tonight. Meanwhile, am I the only one who thought Nastia looked totally freaked out and uncomfortable by crazy Carrie Ann's "pep talk". I swear Nastia's eyes were saying the whole time "okay, weird woman grabbing me - why is she hugging me?"

As nutty as she is though, I definitely agreed with Carrie Ann that Rumer and Val's Jive was a little too careful and safe and it made the whole thing pretty lackluster for me. That said, I wonder if Val maybe got spooked by Rumer's almost getting injured in the rehearsal and asked them to slow down the tempo some. I mean I can't blame him if he did. That did look pretty painful for Rumer. And oh, they're bringing out the big guns for Rumer - Bruce "randomly" showing up during the rehearsal.

Now with Willow's exit, I am even more certain that all those "in jeopardy" moments for Riker, coupled with the constant over scoring and all those 10's isn't so random.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Whoever put that costume on Nastia should be fired. That was fugly  I felt sorry for her and I don't even like her.  And then I felt sorry for her while Derek pulled focus from her, even while not dancing.  And he had to actually SING, instead of just miming?  What a douchebag. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's email from the Hough Love site.

LOVED Rumer's foxtrot.

Thought Alison's era didn't particularly suit either her or Riker.  Is there anyone who likes her choreo out there?

'

• Love 5

I wasnt the biggest Willow fan but her leaving over Chris and Robert is insane. 

Tom tweeted that they told him in the middle of last week's show that they were ditching the double elimination this week, which is why he didn't mention it during the second hour of last week's show.

And tonight, I think Val should be pissed. They picked apart Rumer, and Carrie Ann gave her an 8, she then ends up behind Noah who was given a 10 without doing any dancing.

• Love 16

Using my best Simon Cowell voice, Derek was full of self -indulgent crap this week.  What the hell was that?  Why couldn't he let Sasha fill in properly?  He horned himself between Sasha and Nastia for way too much of the dance, and then bumped Sasha out of frame for the interview with Erin.  And it had nothing to do with Nastia at all.  What style of dance was that supposed to be??  And the judges co-signing on it made me more angry than I'd care to be about a stupid reality show.

Can believe Willow was at the bottom in votes, but didn't appreciate producers going for the full drama making the least of the dancers safe first.  And the faux shock on the judges' faces was ramping the BS up to an 11.

• Love 17
And tonight, I think Val should be pissed. They picked apart Rumer, and Carrie Ann gave her an 8, she then ends up behind Noah who was given a 10 without doing any dancing.

I'd agree, but Val's been around long enough to know that the judges (most often Carrie Ann and Bruno) make no sense and throw scores around arbitrarily. It sucks, but that's how it goes on this show.

• Love 3

I actually gasped at the final 2. The next eliminations really need to be in this order, Chris, Robert, Noah (or vice versa on last two).  Ryker cracks me up, but his hair drives me crazy and I can't get over it.  I honestly thought it was going to be Rumor and Willow in final 3.

Noah is dancing - if you watch his right leg, he is doing all the right things.  His lack of left leg makes it impossible to do the same on that side, though he tries.

I like Derek (I think he's a great choreogrpaher and does his best for his partners), but I loved that Nastia had more chemistry with Sasha.

Edited by Ripley68
  • Love 3

Oh and can you not just see the whole lot of ABC execs creaming their little shorts over Bruce Willis's interview?  It turns out, guys (as if anyone didn't know) that Bruce looks grim while watching Rumer dance because it makes him cry.  ABC wanks itself into a coma of self-congratulatory jizz.

• Love 2

Well, there is that annual shocker elimination. I am so sorry that Willow was voted off before Robert. He creeps me out a bit.

I give props to Chris for much improvement and this is coming from a non-Chris fan.

Mark was absolutely outstanding with Willow -- his choreography was inventive and he was age-appropriate. I have a lot of admiration for him.

I have not waivered in my thought that 14 is just too young for this show.

Tonight's theme was a blast. It even edged out the Disney week for me.

• Love 3

I wasn't the biggest Willow fan, but no way she should have gone home before Chris, Noah and Robert. This is just ridiculous. I think we know the voting demographic: older women with poor judgment.

Thank the lord Derek is going to recover quickly. We just don't see enough of him.

• Love 9

I'm going to go ahead and say it: Willow should have stayed over Riker. Riker's attitude is just... he's Derek Lite, putting it simply. "Allison and I are frontrunners", his RBF after Robert's dance, the fact that he cannot dance to save his life when he and Allison are in hold, yet still manages to score well each and every week? Please, go away.

My gripe is, Willow was genuinely enjoying the experience. She had a great attitude, worked her tail off, embraced Mark's ideas, and most importantly, improved each and every week. She is what the show is about. Moreover, she was the only personality on the show that I enjoyed. Nastia and Noah have no personality, Rumer takes this too seriously, Robert is too wrapped up in the showmance, and Chris is Chris. I'll watch for Patti next week, but I'm completely over this season. 

PS, why was it necessary for Derek to have a mic during Nastia's dance? Was he trying to sing in that nasal voice of his? 

• Love 11

I'd agree, but Val's been around long enough to know that the judges (most often Carrie Ann and Bruno) make no sense and throw scores around arbitrarily. It sucks, but that's how it goes on this show.

Also Val was pissed before Noah even danced, so I don't think him being pissed had anything to do with Noah's scores.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: Willow should have stayed over Riker. Riker's attitude is just... he's Derek Lite, putting it simply. "Allison and I are frontrunners", his RBF after Robert's dance, the fact that he cannot dance to save his life when he and Allison are in hold, yet still manages to score well each and every week? Please, go away.

I have seen nothing to suggest that Riker has a bad attitude.  I get not enjoying his dancing or thinking he has resting bitch face, but I haven't seen him portrayed as anything but super sweet and friendly and supportive to everyone.

• Love 7

When Ryker said they are frontrunners I wanted to yell at my TV "frontrunners my ass, you were in the bottom 2 twice so STFU".

• Love 1

Finally a sophisticated opening pro number!! But I kept waiting for the girls to rip off their skirts and start shimming !!! Didn't catch who choreographed it but I would be surprised if it was Mandy Moore.

I love Val and Rumer and want them to win, but I wasn't blown away by their jive. I think the music seemed too slow.

Sorry to see Willow go and she really took it hard..,...... Maybe 14 yr olds shouldn't be on the show!!

• Love 1

Nastia's dancing was really good, and I know that's what this show is supposed to be about, but I have to comment on her look for a minute.  The swirl of hair pulled across her large forehead looked bizarre, and her constant tugging on her ugly costume was distracting. Don't they have people to help her with things like hair and costume?  What the hell? 

• Love 1

When Ryker said they are frontrunners I wanted to yell at my TV "frontrunners my ass, you were in the bottom 2 twice so STFU".

Except he wasn't?  They put him in the not necessarily B2 once?  I'm also pretty sure he didn't say they are THE frontrunners but one of the frontrunners, which is an entirely different connotation.

• Love 1