Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana County?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

<bump>

For all the cat lurve (guilty as charged!).

Don't say I never did nothin' for ya!   ;~D

Will I get in trouble with the mods if I post something about one of the HoWives on this thread? Probably, huh?

I've been in trouble once this week so I could be goin' down! Lol. I feel my ship is slowly sinking. Where's that damn FlexSeal guy in the rowboat when I need him? 😄

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Will I get in trouble with the mods if I post something about one of the HoWives on this thread? Probably, huh?

I've been in trouble once this week so I could be goin' down! Lol. I feel my ship is slowly sinking. Where's that damn FlexSeal guy in the rowboat when I need him? 😄

Don't count on him or his rowboat to save you.  I got a can of that FlexSeal for free, and that's about what it was worth - used it to seal a small crack between the one short rain gutter I have & the fascia late last rainy season, and it only lasted for a couple of rainstorms.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Don't count on him or his rowboat to save you.  I got a can of that FlexSeal for free, and that's about what it was worth - used it to seal a small crack between the one short rain gutter I have & the fascia late last rainy season, and it only lasted for a couple of rainstorms.

Wow. Couldn't his company be sued if someone flex sealed their tiny boat hole and it didn't work and all two people drowned?

• LOL 3
25 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Wow. Couldn't his company be sued if someone flex sealed their tiny boat hole and it didn't work and all two people drowned?

I'm sure they'd claim "operator error" or some BS about not following all the directions to a tee.  There's no way that cut-in-half Humpty Dumpty rowboat put back together with FlexSeal lasted longer than a single camera take.

• LOL 3
15 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

To you and everyone on here.  I’m sorry for the talk about my pets.  Actually, I thought we talked about the last episode to death, so I confided in you guys that I consider my friends now.  I totally forgot about the “Small Talk” thread.  I’m on thin ice here also.  Happy Thanksgiving to all, and Reality Police, if you are reading this.  😍  🥰  Silver Bells

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

To you and everyone on here.  I’m sorry for the talk about my pets.  Actually, I thought we talked about the last episode to death, so I confided in you guys that I consider my friends now.  I totally forgot about the “Small Talk” thread.  I’m on thin ice here also.  Happy Thanksgiving to all, and Reality Police, if you are reading this.  😍  🥰  Silver Bells

I’m sorry you are on thin ice - this is just a safe place for us to be us 😢

• Love 2

Bringing the "slut" topic over:

Slut is a term for a woman or girl who is considered to have loose sexual morals or who is sexually promiscuous.

I know many women/men who went through their "slutty" phase, including myself. Not one of my proudest life achievements. No matter what the reason.

What is the difference between "shaming" a woman who is promiscuous or shaming any other behaviour displayed by any of the housewives?

We snark on all kinds of characteristics/ actions of the housewives. Some acceptable to posters, some not, depending on opinion. That's what these forums are all about.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Bringing the "slut" topic over:

Slut is a term for a woman or girl who is considered to have loose sexual morals or who is sexually promiscuous.

I know many women/men who went through their "slutty" phase, including myself. Not one of my proudest life achievements. No matter what the reason.

What is the difference between "shaming" a woman who is promiscuous or shaming any other behaviour displayed by any of the housewives?

We snark on all kinds of characteristics/ actions of the housewives. Some acceptable to posters, some not, depending on opinion. That's what these forums are all about.

You have said this perfectly!  We shame everything!  Mention it all!!!  If you can’t take the snark heat, get out of the kitchen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 11/26/2019 at 9:41 PM, Mu Shu said:

I ate a bunch (12) of Entenmanns chocolate fudge brownies, one beer, and a wine in one sitting. I’ll work it off tomorrow. Maybe.

How exactly do you "work off" 12 brownies, a beer and some wine? Lol! 

• LOL 4
37 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

We shame everything!

Yup. Shame on Dorit for puppy dumping. Shame on LVP for leaving RHOBH. Shame on Bethenny for her booby grabbing daughter on instagram. Shame on Luann for forgetting to deliver the truffle fries and for being drunk and disorderly. Shame on Dorinda for being with John and her drunken antics. Shame on Erika for showing her #$^& instead of wearing panties and for not serving food to her guests.  Shame on Tamra for her embarrassing bathtub scene with Eddie and Naked Wasted. Shame on Vicki for the Brooks situation. and a million other things. Shame on Kelly for her racist rant. Shame on Kim for bringing the bunny to the reunion. Shame on Rinna for exploiting her daughter's eating disorder. Shame on Kyle for being married to a greedy swindler. Shame on Teresa for being a felon. 

We age-shame, slut-shame, body-shame, drunk-shame, parent-shame, fashion-shame. Heck, we even shame-shame.

Shame on! That's why we are here.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • LOL 6
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Yup. Shame on Dorit for puppy dumping. Shame on LVP for leaving RHOBH. Shame on Bethenny for her booby grabbing daughter on instagram. Shame on Luann for forgetting to deliver the truffle fries and for being drunk and disorderly. Shame on Dorinda for being with John and her drunken antics. Shame on Erika for showing her #$^& instead of wearing panties and for not serving food to her guests.  Shame on Tamra for her embarrassing bathtub scene with Eddie and Naked Wasted. Shame on Vicki for the Brooks situation. and a million other things. Shame on Kelly for her racist rant. Shame on Kim for bringing the bunny to the reunion. Shame on Rinna for exploiting her daughter's eating disorder. Shame on Kyle for being married to a greedy swindler. Shame on Teresa for being a felon. 

We age-shame, slut-shame, body-shame, drunk-shame, parent-shame, fashion-shame. Heck, we even shame-shame.

Shame on! That's why we are here.

REally interesting take on this subject, Happy Camper. One I had not considered, so now I have it simmering on the ol' back burner.

I draw the line at shaming any immutable characteristic, as I think most people do around here, with the exception of age because, maybe, while it is immutable, it's also something every single human has experienced or will experience.

So, I've limited my straight up snark to behavior-based stuff, including hair and fashion choices, acting like a fool and general attention-seeking, try hardiness, etc.

Since choosing to have sex is behavior, why should it be treated any differently than drinking or drugging-shaming? I assume it's because judgment about sexual behavior has been unequally made against men and women. Men can be sluts, it's true, but the judgment in a statement like that usually rises to eye rolly at most. Women bear the brunt of the negativity, and there's been lots and lots of negativity and very high prices paid almost exclusively by women for that, societally speaking.

Having said that, there's also the evolutionary biological reality that sex is very inexpensive for men and can be very costly for a woman (pregnancy, risk of death from delivery to name just two). Today we have birth control, but our modern, fancy cerebral cortex doesn't communicate very well with the old brain, and so the reality and unconscious awareness of that olden days "risk" still exists in all of us. Are women extra vulnerable to societal shaming because there exists a biological reality in all of us that we just can't shake? And at some level, we "know" that "indiscriminate" sex is dangerous or unwise? Are men less vulnerable to societal shaming because this costly pregnancy reality simply does not exist for them? Is it all just society-based? I remember seeing a documentary in the 80s or 90s about women who had lived through the "free love" 1960s, and man, did they all feel burned.

For now, I'm staying with "I don't care who you have sex with, or how often", but you've given me something interesting to think about today, and I love it. So, thank you!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jel said:

REally interesting take on this subject, Happy Camper. One I had not considered, so now I have it simmering on the ol' back burner.

I draw the line at shaming any immutable characteristic, as I think most people do around here, with the exception of age because, maybe, while it is immutable, it's also something every single human has experienced or will experience.

So, I've limited my straight up snark to behavior-based stuff, including hair and fashion choices, acting like a fool and general attention-seeking, try hardiness, etc.

Since choosing to have sex is behavior, why should it be treated any differently than drinking or drugging-shaming? I assume it's because judgment about sexual behavior has been unequally made against men and women. Men can be sluts, it's true, but the judgment in a statement like that usually rises to eye rolly at most. Women bear the brunt of the negativity, and there's been lots and lots of negativity and very high prices paid almost exclusively by women for that, societally speaking.

Having said that, there's also the evolutionary biological reality that sex is very inexpensive for men and can be very costly for a woman (pregnancy, risk of death from delivery to name just two). Today we have birth control, but our modern, fancy cerebral cortex doesn't communicate very well with the old brain, and so the reality and unconscious awareness of that olden days "risk" still exists in all of us. Are women extra vulnerable to societal shaming because there exists a biological reality in all of us that we just can't shake? And at some level, we "know" that "indiscriminate" sex is dangerous or unwise? Are men less vulnerable to societal shaming because this costly pregnancy reality simply does not exist for them? Is it all just society-based? I remember seeing a documentary in the 80s or 90s about women who had lived through the "free love" 1960s, and man, did they all feel burned.

For now, I'm staying with "I don't care who you have sex with, or how often", but you've given me something interesting to think about today, and I love it. So, thank you!

Great post. I am okay with people commenting on housewives behaviour, no matter what it is. If we  couldn't, we would have an empty board.

I'm also okay shaming myself when I do anything to excess, so I don't see a problem with people snarking on anyone else. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

I'm also okay shaming myself when I do anything to excess, so I don't see a problem with people snarking on anyone else. 

I agree with everything you said; it makes so much sense; shame away--that's the name of this game!!

Remember the TWOP slogan used to be "spare the snark, spoil the network"? 😀

What I will say, though, is that I reserve the right to be an unemployed, 400-lb no prospects slob, barely functioning alcoholic pill popper who doesn't pay bills and jumps the subway turnstyle without paying...and I will still snark on a Housewife for having the wrong jewelry, because they're getting paid and they're purposely putting this on air.  So they are fair game the way other people we meet in society aren't IMO.

I also just want to point out the obvious--they don't have to read this.  If people were Tweeting to Braunwyn (or whoever sparked the slut discussion) "you are a big slut"...that would be antisocial behavior.  Not that I'd really care either way, but I think it would be way different than posting on a message board.

Since the topic is "shaming," what is the deal with the aversion to fat-shaming?  First of all, it's used way too broadly.  If I say that it looks like Shannon, say, put on some weight, it's "fat shaming"?  Where is the shame?  I'm making an observation; not saying she should be ashamed because she gained weight.  And even if someone does what falls in the category of fat-shaming, why is that different from other kinds of shaming?  People can control their weight.  

I "shame" on immutable characteristics, because, as I said, $ and consent.  You're gonna put yourself on TV?  I'll point out your funny ears if I'm so moved.  Pay me six figures to eat lunch and gossip, and have at my appearance lol.  You gotta have a thick skin to be in this business.

I have zero problem with "slut shaming," mostly because I don't even think it has a definition.  There is a difference between pointing out that someone is a slut and shaming them for same. I'm not sure I've ever heard someone in real life say, "shame on her for being a slut," so I don't think it's this universal problem that has to be addressed.

Also, what exactly is a slut?  I think it's a funny word, because it's not really defined.  I guess "loose sexual morals" fits the bill.  I dunno.  I've heard people on the boards define it as "a woman who enjoys sex."  Yes, a woman who enjoys sex with her husband is a big old slut! (Said no one ever).  I think there are a lot of reasons women sleep around.  For example, as @heatherchandler pointed out, women can act slutty because it seems to be what everyone else is doing, or to be popular, or to feel rewarded for being a good lay.  I don't think enjoyment is necessarily an element at all.  Since I don't think there's anything untoward going on, and no one has abused the word against a woman they don't like, without regard to sexual activity, I can't manage to get into a lather about this one.

And of course men can be sluts, but I don't usually use that word; I usually just use the word "man." Now hold on, there's a biological reason for this--men are genetically programmed to spread their seed, and women are genetically programmed to be selective, so I think a lot of people tend to asssume, rightfully, that a single (or often not single) man is going to get sex wherever and whenever he can.  I don't like that behavior, and I don't respect it, the way I don't necessarily respect slutty behavior at this point in my life--mostly because people of both sexes are cavalier about prophylactics, but also other reasons--but it's not going to cause me to disenfranchise someone or to call for them to be cast out of society or...that they are asking to be raped (how did we get there??)  

I think the word "shame" is being misapplied.  I think the word "judge" should be substituted for "shame" most of the time, but that's not as popular of a buzz word, so everything is suddenly "shaming" and I'm not a fan of ratcheting up the emotion of a discussion on purpose just to get people on your side.  

If someone is competent in their life and they're also sleeping around, it's not going to get more than a shoulder shrug from me.  The problem is that very few of these women seem to have their lives together, mentally or otherwise, so that's going to add a new element.

I mean, just last episode, I read David for filth, because I think he's utterly gross for repeatedly cheating on his wife, so I think I call out the sexes equally.  Actually I'm harder on the men (which is kind of unfair, but every single one of us has a bias in some manner).

-----------------------------------

All this to see if anyone has feedback about this odd "fat shaming" stigma and whether people think a slut is "just" a person who has a lot of sex, or whether they think intentions matter.

I love feedback, but I'm gonna be like Sinatra and do it my way and "shame" whenever and however I find fit.  I'm growing a bit tired of "shame-shamers."

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I agree with everything you said; it makes so much sense; shame away--that's the name of this game!!

Remember the TWOP slogan used to be "spare the snark, spoil the network"? 😀

What I will say, though, is that I reserve the right to be an unemployed, 400-lb no prospects slob, barely functioning alcoholic pill popper who doesn't pay bills and jumps the subway turnstyle without paying...and I will still snark on a Housewife for having the wrong jewelry, because they're getting paid and they're purposely putting this on air.  So they are fair game the way other people we meet in society aren't IMO.

I also just want to point out the obvious--they don't have to read this.  If people were Tweeting to Braunwyn (or whoever sparked the slut discussion) "you are a big slut"...that would be antisocial behavior.  Not that I'd really care either way, but I think it would be way different than posting on a message board.

Since the topic is "shaming," what is the deal with the aversion to fat-shaming?  First of all, it's used way too broadly.  If I say that it looks like Shannon, say, put on some weight, it's "fat shaming"?  Where is the shame?  I'm making an observation; not saying she should be ashamed because she gained weight.  And even if someone does what falls in the category of fat-shaming, why is that different from other kinds of shaming?  People can control their weight.  

I "shame" on immutable characteristics, because, as I said, $ and consent.  You're gonna put yourself on TV?  I'll point out your funny ears if I'm so moved.  Pay me six figures to eat lunch and gossip, and have at my appearance lol.  You gotta have a thick skin to be in this business.

I have zero problem with "slut shaming," mostly because I don't even think it has a definition.  There is a difference between pointing out that someone is a slut and shaming them for same. I'm not sure I've ever heard someone in real life say, "shame on her for being a slut," so I don't think it's this universal problem that has to be addressed.

Also, what exactly is a slut?  I think it's a funny word, because it's not really defined.  I guess "loose sexual morals" fits the bill.  I dunno.  I've heard people on the boards define it as "a woman who enjoys sex."  Yes, a woman who enjoys sex with her husband is a big old slut! (Said no one ever).  I think there are a lot of reasons women sleep around.  For example, as @heatherchandler pointed out, women can act slutty because it seems to be what everyone else is doing, or to be popular, or to feel rewarded for being a good lay.  I don't think enjoyment is necessarily an element at all.  Since I don't think there's anything untoward going on, and no one has abused the word against a woman they don't like, without regard to sexual activity, I can't manage to get into a lather about this one.

And of course men can be sluts, but I don't usually use that word; I usually just use the word "man." Now hold on, there's a biological reason for this--men are genetically programmed to spread their seed, and women are genetically programmed to be selective, so I think a lot of people tend to asssume, rightfully, that a single (or often not single) man is going to get sex wherever and whenever he can.  I don't like that behavior, and I don't respect it, the way I don't necessarily respect slutty behavior at this point in my life--mostly because people of both sexes are cavalier about prophylactics, but also other reasons--but it's not going to cause me to disenfranchise someone or to call for them to be cast out of society or...that they are asking to be raped (how did we get there??)  

I think the word "shame" is being misapplied.  I think the word "judge" should be substituted for "shame" most of the time, but that's not as popular of a buzz word, so everything is suddenly "shaming" and I'm not a fan of ratcheting up the emotion of a discussion on purpose just to get people on your side.  

If someone is competent in their life and they're also sleeping around, it's not going to get more than a shoulder shrug from me.  The problem is that very few of these women seem to have their lives together, mentally or otherwise, so that's going to add a new element.

I mean, just last episode, I read David for filth, because I think he's utterly gross for repeatedly cheating on his wife, so I think I call out the sexes equally.  Actually I'm harder on the men (which is kind of unfair, but every single one of us has a bias in some manner).

-----------------------------------

All this to see if anyone has feedback about this odd "fat shaming" stigma and whether people think a slut is "just" a person who has a lot of sex, or whether they think intentions matter.

I love feedback, but I'm gonna be like Sinatra and do it my way and "shame" whenever and however I find fit.  I'm growing a bit tired of "shame-shamers."

Great post. I used to be a slut but too old now. It requires too much energy. And since I'm not a reality show "star" nobody would care anyway.😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I totally think judging her for this is fine and I would say it to her face!  She has neither youthful stupidity or inability to afford an uber/lyft/cab/carrier pigeon on her side (not that there is any excuse to drink and drive).  I am judging the fuck out of someone like her for this.  She is also, by what she has shown all of us, a horrible person.  So I could judge her all day long.  I don't really care about her belly.  Show it don't show it but PLEASE change the hair and makeup.  And seriously?  She isn't as cute as she thinks she is.

Will I judge someone for having a wonky eye or something they were born with?  No.  If they PAID for and CHOSE that wonky eye, I am probably judging.  I will judge Tamra's awful boobs.  She paid for them several times and apparently think they are one of her finest assets.  I am judging Vicki for pretty much everything.  I am not sure she has any of the parts she was born with and she is horrid in every way.

When I say, "who are we to judge really?" I am coming from a place of like the keenest and purest morality. It doesn't have to be religious, it can be purely secular, but I am stating the "love each other" principle, because I feel like we have to start at the beginning to have this discussion properly.

Last week it was "no slut-shaming. This week it's "no body shaming."  But no one yet has stated a principle or a philosophical reason why this should or shouldn't be so. 

To avoid confusion, what I am stating is where I come out on these issues, and that is that I think there is something in the Christian principle of "no judgment." I don't fully understand how we could have a functioning society this way, but it's a concept I seek to understand.  To keep it simple, I think the world would be a better place if I did less judging.

Then there's is the cognitive-behavioral concept that shame just leads to a downward spiral of negative behavior, not positive behavior. So, I don't believe in shaming as a vehicle to promote good behavior.

Ok, so my standards that I set down are "less judgment, no shame."  Now I am going to say that I completely abandon those standards whenever it comes to watching and commenting on reality TV. It probably diminishes me as a person in some existential way, but I don't care at all. It brings me pleasure.

So I feel I have laid the groundwork for why I will go ahead and judge Gina for getting pulled over with a .2 BAL at 3:40 am, and why I will observe that her abdomen isn't firm, and I will judge Gina specifically for that, because she's a superficial witch who would judge someone else for it in a heartbeat.

It's interesting to me, so I say it.  That's my guiding principle when it comes to the internet.

Now that I have laid down a fairly well-reasoned, if flawed, principle for what I choose to "judge" or "shame," I think the onus is on the people who oppose me to lay down their guiding principle.

I do not think we can boil it down to immutable vs voluntary by a long shot. If the world is a Venn diagram, I would argue 80% or more of our behavior, attitudes and beliefs are a combination of both. So I'm going to go into the hard places and ask the hard questions, like "how do you know Gina can't cough up her DUI to youth? She could be 35, operating with the brain of a nine year old. Until a doctor examines her, how would we know? What qualifications would the doctor have to have for us all to agree to accept his opinion?" 

Or, in addition, how do we know that Tamra doesn't suffer from body dysmorphic disorder, which is a mental condition she cannot help, which led to her voluntarily getting those bad boys bolted on?

So, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass--the idea of this conversation is quite exciting to me--but I really am curious what is the standard of judging people on the internet if it's not "mention it all!"? In fact, I can't fathom a system that would make sense that could work by any other principle, except to say that there could perhaps be categories of topics, so that the more easily offended can communicate with one another based on a set of rules, and the less offended can communicate based on the most basic set of standards, such as everyone has to speak English (or hell, Esperanza), so that we can communicate.

So that's the foundation of what I wanted to lay out there. It's an argument inasmuch as I'd like to toss around the metaphysical ball of ideas, but I'm not arguing in the sense that I take umbrage with those who don't agree with me.

I truly welcome feedback, because I want a better understanding of the other side.

• Love 1

Anyone know where I can buy the dvd “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez?  It was on Freeform channel yesterday and I missed taping it.  Maybe one of those sites where they make copies even?  I recently bought “The Christmas List” with Mimi Rogers on a crappy site, and it plays pretty good.  I’m a baby when it comes to Christmas Movies.  Anyone????

2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Anyone know where I can buy the dvd “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez?  It was on Freeform channel yesterday and I missed taping it.  Maybe one of those sites where they make copies even?  I recently bought “The Christmas List” with Mimi Rogers on a crappy site, and it plays pretty good.  I’m a baby when it comes to Christmas Movies.  Anyone????

It's available on ITunes or you can watch it on the Freeform website: https://freeform.go.com/movies/holiday-in-handcuffs

• Love 2

@LibertarianSlut I decided to visit two well known sites to get some insight on slut shaming: urban dictionary, and knowyourmeme (the latter one has extensive history on the subject, from an online perspective).

I would say the term is applied to show disapproval from a personal perspective, and the defenders want to give absolution from a larger "universal" perspective.

Here are some notes I made:

Feminists decry slut-shaming as a label for women, to shame the givers of the label, but no comment on the actions which might themselves be a source of shame.
    quote, urban dict #3
    Many feminists dislike slut shaming because they think it's demeaning and degrading to the slutty girls but apparently sucking lots of dick, porking lots of guys or passing lots of nudes and porn somehow isn't.
   https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Slut-Shaming

Then...feminists use the term to defend/excuse any sexual behavior
to wit:
   https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slut-shaming
    described in a negative light as a way for feminist to excuse their sexual behavior. 

Now
    urban dict #2
    People say they are against "slut shaming" when they are trying to tell us a girl who goes around half naked is just as honorable as a girl who dresses nicely, and that a slut is as good as a girl who only has sex with one guy in her life.

simply
to literally call a girl (who is NOT a prostitute by profession) a slut and tell her she should be ashamed of herself for the way she dresses, simply because you do not like the way she is dressed
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=to slut shame

So on to FAT shame
I'd say basically hangs on the simple disapproving of the look or choices
So we can probably say, it involves the caller's personal choice/views and applying to another person's example actions/choices.
While.... many feminists take a view of some distant third party who on haha an absolute basis say there is "no shame" for said actions/choices.
ETA: I would say also, when you want to say something disapproving of the person you start with the largest/easiest aspect or one which will get the biggest rise from whatever observers you are interested in influencing.  It may have nothing much to to with the caller's own beliefs.

Complexity of actions/choices
Seems there are complexities because people hold a mix of views about what is or is not shameful, or immoral.  Atheists vs Theists for instance.

test question - 
    1.should an extra-marital affair be shameful?

Test question with complications:
    2.Should elected official, now resigned, Katie Hill be ashamed of her affair with a female staffer?  Think about that...that has at least 3 violations of sorts.

ETA - I made a joke in a PT forum about an atheist on 90DF not needing to be ashamed, and a defender of sorts replied an atheist can still have a system of ethics.  But of course, the atheist has to pick the Raison D'être: an evolutionary stance, a Golden Rule stance, maximization of social capital view, or yet some other basis.  In an opposite example of how ethics can do a 180....a Genghis Kahn view or Klingon view might suggest you kill all unworthies, but today's atheists tend not to urge 'purges', (at least not yet.)

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Useful 1
On 11/29/2019 at 10:20 PM, chenoa333 said:

How exactly do you "work off" 12 brownies, a beer and some wine? Lol! 

I usually hike about five miles per day, but that really won’t put a dent in it. I just let the binge happen when it’s time has come.,Only lasts sporadically for about 1 month 1-2 times per year. I haven’t eaten a full pie or cake in one sitting this year, so that’s an improvement. I generally just binge nuts and sweets at this point. Man, those soy and wasabi almonds!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

@LibertarianSlut I decided to visit two well known sites to get some insight on slut shaming: urban dictionary, and knowyourmeme (the latter one has extensive history on the subject, from an online perspective).

I would say the term is applied to show disapproval from a personal perspective, and the defenders want to give absolution from a larger "universal" perspective.

Here are some notes I made:

Feminists decry slut-shaming as a label for women, to shame the givers of the label, but no comment on the actions which might themselves be a source of shame.
    quote, urban dict #3
    Many feminists dislike slut shaming because they think it's demeaning and degrading to the slutty girls but apparently sucking lots of dick, porking lots of guys or passing lots of nudes and porn somehow isn't.
   https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Slut-Shaming

Then...feminists use the term to defend/excuse any sexual behavior
to wit:
   https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slut-shaming
    described in a negative light as a way for feminist to excuse their sexual behavior. 

Now
    urban dict #2
    People say they are against "slut shaming" when they are trying to tell us a girl who goes around half naked is just as honorable as a girl who dresses nicely, and that a slut is as good as a girl who only has sex with one guy in her life.

simply
to literally call a girl (who is NOT a prostitute by profession) a slut and tell her she should be ashamed of herself for the way she dresses, simply because you do not like the way she is dressed
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=to slut shame

So on to FAT shame
I'd say basically hangs on the simple disapproving of the look or choices
So we can probably say, it involves the caller's personal choice/views and applying to another person's example actions/choices.
While.... many feminists take a view of some distant third party who on haha an absolute basis say there is "no shame" for said actions/choices.
ETA: I would say also, when you want to say something disapproving of the person you start with the largest/easiest aspect or one which will get the biggest rise from whatever observers you are interested in influencing.  It may have nothing much to to with the caller's own beliefs.

Complexity of actions/choices
Seems there are complexities because people hold a mix of views about what is or is not shameful, or immoral.  Atheists vs Theists for instance.

test question - 
    1.should an extra-marital affair be shameful?

Test question with complications:
    2.Should elected official, now resigned, Katie Hill be ashamed of her affair with a female staffer?  Think about that...that has at least 3 violations of sorts.

ETA - I made a joke in a PT forum about an atheist on 90DF not needing to be ashamed, and a defender of sorts replied an atheist can still have a system of ethics.  But of course, the atheist has to pick the Raison D'être: an evolutionary stance, a Golden Rule stance, maximization of social capital view, or yet some other basis.  In an opposite example of how ethics can do a 180....a Genghis Kahn view or Klingon view might suggest you kill all unworthies, but today's atheists tend not to urge 'purges', (at least not yet.)

I need a cigarette after reading this post.  So much content!

I realized about halfway through writing this that I should have block-quoted, but it's too late, so I'll just categorize my responses:

Slut-shaming 

I find the slut stuff very interesting and thought-provoking.  It's simple on its face too--it's basically a movement to prevent people from telling the truth and being held accountable for their behavior.  

I wonder why it is that people who defend "no slut-shaming" on the basis that "men don't get judged for the same behavior" ever advocate for holding men to a higher standard instead of lowering the standard for women?

I think discretion is the better part of valor.  People should feel free to live their personal lives how they see fit--God knows I've had my own activities--but when it becomes knowledge in the public square, I think people need to be prepared to face the consequences of people discussing their behavior.  

What I can't abide is people feeling like they have the freedom to do whatever they want (fair enough), but also the freedom from people giving their opinions on it in the aftermath.  That's not a thing.  That's never been a thing.

Fat-shaming

I understand the fat shaming argument too.  I actually take the argument that fat-shaming is low-hanging fruit, and I find it persuasive.  I respect more creative and well-honed insults.  If two people get in a fight about, I dunno, someone cutting someone off on the road, and they pull over and start hurling insults, I think it's beyond the pale to say things like "fuck you, fat bitch" or "go back to your own country" or something equally as derogatory.  I wouldn't do that, but if a stranger did that, I wouldn't tell them they can't or shouldn't say that, because it's not my argument, so it's not my jurisdiction, so to speak.

That's why I am surprised when I'm in mixed company or with extended family and any of them (or strangers) would go out of their way to articulate their postion on how far you can go on a topic if I didn't ask?  Why would I be interested?  It's so arbitrary.  What if I had a sensitivity to people pointing out accents?  Would I step forward every time (or any time) someone said that Gary Danielson, college football commenter, had a funny Michigan accent?  Not unless it's someone close enough to me that we can have a frank discussion about the merits.  Because my personal standard doesn't apply to other people, it's personal to me.

Shame (general)/quiz

I think an extra-marital affair is shameful, as in, it's a shame that someone is cheating on their spouse.  I don't think the people involved in the affair should per se be ashamed though, and I'm open to changing my mind.  Same goes for the Congresswoman who spoke on the floor in the red suit--it was correct for her to resign for her behavior, and people should feel free to judge her, and I would have no problem with any potential employer who didn't want to hire her down the line, or if anyone didn't want to associate with her for any reason.  That's a general principle I hold; not specific to this woman.

The reason I don't believe people should be ashamed is steeped heavily in Albert Ellis and cognitive-behavioral techniques and methods that I have studied with some thought.  What I think is that shame, as an emotion (not a judgment from society) is a waste of time.  Nothing good comes out of it.  Now guilt on the other hand?  I think that's a totally appropriate emotion.  Guilt is fleeting; you do something wrong, you regret it and feel bad, and it may cause you to act differently in the future because of the negative emotion that came out of acting poorly.  That's appropriate.  I think shame is something that we internalize as part of ourselves, something that does not dissipate after the words/actions are repaired/corrected, and that only brings us down, even if the behavior that results from shame appears to be corrected behavior.

I'll elaborate.  A very good doctor I knew once told me that a slave mentality was very inefficient, because you will only do the bare minimum to feel like you've assauged your master, that shameful voice in the mind.  You wind up living in fear.  So, even if someone was "shamed" into doing good, say, eating less, they are going to be skinny and fearful.  Or smoke-free and faithful to their spouse and fearful and resentful and (to borrow a phrase from Jordan Peterson) malevolent, and that will show up in other places.  Heaven help the children of people who are walking around saddled by shame.

For the above reasons, I strongly object to the pop psych phrase that people derive self-esteem by doing esteemable things.  No.  I think people's esteem is innate.

Atheism

I listen to the podcasts, I really get into the stuff about moral codes, atheist vs belief in God and what that actaully means.  I don't understand it.  It will probably take me another two years to get enough of a grip on it to be able to have a healthy debate, but I do think many people who consider themselves atheists are not, strictly speaking.  I'm not what people would consider a religious person.  I don't pray.  But I believe in Christian principles, such as love each other, be kind, etc.  I don't always live anywhere close to them, but they're there.  I am curious (actually curious, not being rhetorical) as to where areligious people discern their principles.  If they're innate, is that not God?  Does something have to come from the Torah or Koran to be God?  I'd argue absolutely not. 

As far as atheists not urging purges (yet), I would just point you toward the horrors of the 20th century and whether Dostoyevsky would agree with you.  Mao.  People forget that Hitler threw the Catholic clergy into the concentration camps as well.  He often gets painted as an anti-Semite, but Hitler's regime is probably more accurately depicted as irreligious. 

Now I definitely need a cigarette (I'm just kidding; I don't smoke).  But I think it's time to stop here for me.

I had to edit, because I saw the mod note in the episode thread that we're not allowed to discuss what other people discuss on the boards, or how they discuss same, so I exchanged that stuff for real life examples that have nothing to do with here.

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Observing mod note
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Good stuff LS, and I'm glad to read your post.  To answer anything in detail I would have to do so later.  Albert Ellis I've run into, and have several of his books.  I love the ABCDE method and the irrational beliefs in play.  Guilt v shame, also good stuff.  From JP, Nietzsche said terrible social disaster would come, and it did.

Shaming 

2 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I find the slut stuff very interesting and thought-provoking.  It's simple on its face too--it's basically a movement to prevent people from telling the truth and being held accountable for their behavior.  

This is probably spot on.  And like the knowyourmeme site listed, also attempts to "excuse" the behavior.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Useful 1

I just never could understand the difference between "judging" and a "personal opinion/perspective". If there even is a difference. So I will continue to judge and give my opinion.

I wish I could recall the OP who came up with this hashtag, nevertheless, I'm going to keep it going:

#FreeEddie

• Love 4
On 12/6/2019 at 1:47 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I need a cigarette after reading this post.  So much content!

I realized about halfway through writing this that I should have block-quoted, but it's too late, so I'll just categorize my responses:

Slut-shaming 

I wonder why it is that people who defend "no slut-shaming" on the basis that "men don't get judged for the same behavior" ever advocate for holding men to a higher standard instead of lowering the standard for women?

I think discretion is the better part of valor.  People should feel free to live their personal lives how they see fit--God knows I've had my own activities--but when it becomes knowledge in the public square, I think people need to be prepared to face the consequences of people discussing their behavior.  

What I can't abide is people feeling like they have the freedom to do whatever they want (fair enough), but also the freedom from people giving their opinions on it in the aftermath.  That's not a thing.  That's never been a thing.

Fat-shaming

I understand the fat shaming argument too.  I actually take the argument that fat-shaming is low-hanging fruit, and I find it persuasive.  I respect more creative and well-honed insults.  If two people get in a fight about, I dunno, someone cutting someone off on the road, and they pull over and start hurling insults, I think it's beyond the pale to say things like "fuck you, fat bitch" or "go back to your own country" or something equally as derogatory.  I wouldn't do that, but if a stranger did that, I wouldn't tell them they can't or shouldn't say that, because it's not my argument, so it's not my jurisdiction, so to speak.

That's why I am surprised when I'm in mixed company or with extended family and any of them (or strangers) would go out of their way to articulate their postion on how far you can go on a topic if I didn't ask?  Why would I be interested?  It's so arbitrary.  What if I had a sensitivity to people pointing out accents?  Would I step forward every time (or any time) someone said that Gary Danielson, college football commenter, had a funny Michigan accent?  Not unless it's someone close enough to me that we can have a frank discussion about the merits.  Because my personal standard doesn't apply to other people, it's personal to me.

Shame (general)/quiz

I think an extra-marital affair is shameful, as in, it's a shame that someone is cheating on their spouse.  I don't think the people involved in the affair should per se be ashamed though, and I'm open to changing my mind.  Same goes for the Congresswoman who spoke on the floor in the red suit--it was correct for her to resign for her behavior, and people should feel free to judge her, and I would have no problem with any potential employer who didn't want to hire her down the line, or if anyone didn't want to associate with her for any reason.  That's a general principle I hold; not specific to this woman.

The reason I don't believe people should be ashamed is steeped heavily in Albert Ellis and cognitive-behavioral techniques and methods that I have studied with some thought.  What I think is that shame, as an emotion (not a judgment from society) is a waste of time.  Nothing good comes out of it.  Now guilt on the other hand?  I think that's a totally appropriate emotion.  Guilt is fleeting; you do something wrong, you regret it and feel bad, and it may cause you to act differently in the future because of the negative emotion that came out of acting poorly.  That's appropriate.  I think shame is something that we internalize as part of ourselves, something that does not dissipate after the words/actions are repaired/corrected, and that only brings us down, even if the behavior that results from shame appears to be corrected behavior.

I'll elaborate.  A very good doctor I knew once told me that a slave mentality was very inefficient, because you will only do the bare minimum to feel like you've assauged your master, that shameful voice in the mind.  You wind up living in fear.  So, even if someone was "shamed" into doing good, say, eating less, they are going to be skinny and fearful.  Or smoke-free and faithful to their spouse and fearful and resentful and (to borrow a phrase from Jordan Peterson) malevolent, and that will show up in other places.  Heaven help the children of people who are walking around saddled by shame.

For the above reasons, I strongly object to the pop psych phrase that people derive self-esteem by doing esteemable things.  No.  I think people's esteem is innate.

Atheism

I listen to the podcasts, I really get into the stuff about moral codes, atheist vs belief in God and what that actaully means.  I don't understand it.  It will probably take me another two years to get enough of a grip on it to be able to have a healthy debate, but I do think many people who consider themselves atheists are not, strictly speaking.  I'm not what people would consider a religious person.  I don't pray.  But I believe in Christian principles, such as love each other, be kind, etc.  I don't always live anywhere close to them, but they're there.  I am curious (actually curious, not being rhetorical) as to where areligious people discern their principles.  If they're innate, is that not God?  Does something have to come from the Torah or Koran to be God?  I'd argue absolutely not. 

As far as atheists not urging purges (yet), I would just point you toward the horrors of the 20th century and whether Dostoyevsky would agree with you.  Mao.  People forget that Hitler threw the Catholic clergy into the concentration camps as well.  He often gets painted as an anti-Semite, but Hitler's regime is probably more accurately depicted as irreligious. 

Now I definitely need a cigarette (I'm just kidding; I don't smoke).  But I think it's time to stop here for me.

I had to edit, because I saw the mod note in the episode thread that we're not allowed to discuss what other people discuss on the boards, or how they discuss same, so I exchanged that stuff for real life examples that have nothing to do with here.

I feel like I need 2 hookers and a cigar.

i will throw this in.

Slut shaming. Should only be done jokingly. Like, if you had a one night stand and then sent him off to your roommate, you get to call each other sluts. Or hoes. 

Fat shaming. Telling overweight people to their face or on their social media that they are overweight in a non helpful and non solicited manner. Don’t do this. A doctor telling you to lose weight is not fat shaming. A personal trainer talking about your weight is not fat shaming. Having to buy 2 seats on a plane is cruel, but that’s strictly business. 

I have no opinion on atheism. 

The whole shame thing has gone overboard. Pit bull shaming and dog racism. Imaginary slights (microagressions). If someone didn’t say it and you perceive it, that’s transference and I don’t want to hear about it. I even heard about makeup shaming. I’ve been boxer shorts as outer shorts shamed. That was pretty faux pas, even for Denny’s. 

Age shaming. Making fun of some one just based on their age is stupid. Someone over fifty acting and dressing like 25 is going to be ridiculed. Someone 25 acting like a preteen is getting it too, except it seems to me that young millennials are very stunted in their development. Like they have been treated like babies their entire young life. 

It’s just my impression that most adults don’t do this to a persons face, but gossip about with their friends. 

All I’ve seen about feminism is an us against them mentality. It doesn’t interest me in the slightest. Just like politics. You want to walk around nude like Lena Dunham? Go to a nudist retreat. Of course you won’t get the reaction you want because most of the people are lumpy like you and also naked. It’s just human nature to want to ogle sexy people, so the mainstream recoils at her lumpen nudity and the nudists just shrug at it, because it’s the same as them. 

• Love 8

Brianna was sent home from work because she was showing symptoms of COVID-19:

On to more of a serious subject, former RHOC daughter Briana Culberson has been on the front line fighting the Coronavirus pandemic as she is an ER nurse. Briana was sent home recently as she was displaying symptoms of the virus, and as she has the autoimmune disease lupus, this is even more worrisome. Her husband Ryan shared the following text sent to him on his Instagram page:

“I started coughing bad at work this morning and was short of breath. They put me on a 14-day quarantine and sent me home. I have to call occupational health in the morning to follow up and see what’s next. No fever yet but I have chills. I’m going to sleep upstairs and probably will have to stay away from you guys as much as possible until I know more” 

I hope she gets through this ok.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

None of them seem to latch onto something to pitch that's unique or original. Kelly with the water (they did that on RHONJ) and Shannon with her blah food line was also done on RHONJ. 

If I were a howife, I would market dog poop bag holders and used dog poop bag holders, you can attach to a leash, so you don't have to carry a bag of poop around on a hike.

And if that took off, morph into leashes, collars, first aid and natural disaster kits for pets.

Yes, those products are already out there, but you could make them "designer" and get a QVC contract.  They dont really have any one marketing to pet owners.  

23 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

And now we’re on to skin care with lemons? Wouldn’t that burn?

Not to date myself, but.......

In the 70s, we used lemon for all kinds of beauty stuff. Mainly, getting sun streaks in your hair, but I remember people using it to brighten their skin and like a skin toner.

We also wore wooden Dr. Scholl's sandals for weight loss (I do not remember why that was supposed to work--maybe it would have if you could have handled the pain of walking in solid, wooden shoes with no flexibility, for more than 5 minutes).

And baby oil to accelerate a tan.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, dosodog said:

If I were a howife, I would market dog poop bag holders and used dog poop bag holders, you can attach to a leash, so you don't have to carry a bag of poop around on a hike.

And if that took off, morph into leashes, collars, first aid and natural disaster kits for pets.

Yes, those products are already out there, but you could make them "designer" and get a QVC contract.  They dont really have any one marketing to pet owners.  

In the 70s, we used lemon for all kinds of beauty stuff. Mainly, getting sun streaks in your hair, but I remember people using it to brighten their skin and like a skin toner.

We also wore wooden Dr. Scholl's sandals for weight loss (I do not remember why that was supposed to work--maybe it would have if you could have handled the pain of walking in solid, wooden shoes with no flexibility, for more than 5 minutes).

Ah yes...the '60's...baby oil sunburns, reflectors, Seventeen magazine and Lemon shampoo, Sun In for the hair and Tab soda...the good ole days.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, dosodog said:
On 11/9/2020 at 11:56 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

And now we’re on to skin care with lemons? Wouldn’t that burn?

I started using a vitamin C skin care product...yes, that "gentle tingling" means it's eating through a layter of skin working. Honestly, though, it does make my skin look brighter and clearer.

My sister used Sun-In (the lemon hair lightening spray -for you young'n's). Her hair turned orange-ish. It wasn't meant for brunettes.

Weren't Dr Scholl's sandals supposed to tone your calves; because you had to use your toes to grip that bump thingy so they'd stay on as you walked? 

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 4
On 11/10/2020 at 11:43 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Ah yes...the '60's...baby oil sunburns, reflectors, Seventeen magazine and Lemon shampoo, Sun In for the hair and Tab soda...the good ole days.

I loved, loved, loved Love's Fresh Lemon products from the late 60s/70s. Still kind of miss that cleanser.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, albarino said:

Wait, what?  I've traveled all over the place.  Went to visit a daughter in New Mexico in September, visited a brother in Phoenix in Oct.  Take my temp every morning (so far so good), got my flu shot, etc.  I think we all want to be safe, prudent citizens, but ya gotta live.  We're now mostly locked down in Colorado and I'm old so no real worries staying home.  As an 18 year old?  Yep keggers and we would see you there.

I’m jealous because I’m really high risk and have really just been existing not living. If I can control my environment I’m okay but don’t feel safe to fly because I can’t control and ensure social distancing at the airport. I missed my niece’s wedding and my sister in law’s funeral.

I have missed get togethers where too many people are together and irresponsible.

I think people who aren’t high risk need to go about living carefully in this environment- because we all can’t just keep existing and we need an economy an normalcy in general,

I just wish some of my friends who aren’t high risk would consider my situation so I could do some things with them (totally off track and feeling sorry for myself). So, obviously I don’t think some of my friends are actually acting responsibly

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I’m jealous because I’m really high risk and have really just been existing not living. If I can control my environment I’m okay but don’t feel safe to fly because I can’t control and ensure social distancing at the airport. I missed my niece’s wedding and my sister in law’s funeral.

Totally get it.  We're now back to being mostly locked down here.  I feel like if we have lived through this last 10 months, stay home and stay safe.  I'm sorry you've missed important events for your family.  We'll get through this.  This website really is a Godsend.  We can laugh at people without leaving home!

Please keep taking care of yourself.  Not a scientist but I think we'll be done with this by next spring.  OT/I have lots of web distractions.  How can we help you?

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, albarino said:

Totally get it.  We're now back to being mostly locked down here.  I feel like if we have lived through this last 10 months, stay home and stay safe.  I'm sorry you've missed important events for your family.  We'll get through this.  This website really is a Godsend.  We can laugh at people without leaving home!

Please keep taking care of yourself.  Not a scientist but I think we'll be done with this by next spring.  OT/I have lots of web distractions.  How can we help you?

You all help me just being here. You all are awesome. Every now and then feeling sorry for myself and a bottle of wine interact and then I post with abandon 🤣

This community is so wonderful. The snark is amazing and we can disagree respectfully  about people on these high quality shows. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, endure said:

Here’s a list of rules for Real Housewives of Bravo to follow....

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/g31899425/real-housewives-bravo-rules/?slide=1

Remember when the gals actually wrote blogs . . . allowing comments from us in the peanut gallery ? Morphed into a written word cage fight-housewife vs housewife, us pesky fans vs housewife vs Bravo.

Used to be fun. Then slowly one by one, blogs went MIA. Anyone remember when this stopped?

Lazy, Chicken Bravo. 

"The women have to keep a blog. When the show airs, the drama can get real. From things said behind their back to situations that unfolded a lot differently than one thought. That's why the Housewives are supposed to keep a blog with their reactions to each episode as part of their job."

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Love 3

Looking at comments in other threads pointing out how unlikeable these women are, it occurs to me: have any of the women on this franchise ever been truly likeable?  I feel like, with other franchises, I can point to women I have genuinely liked and enjoyed as people (maybe not all the time, or for every season, but nonetheless...), but in the OC it's so joyless.  Who has ever been truly likeable on this show?  NY Gina might be getting there for me.  Tammy K. was all right....  *crickets*....

One season, I remember feeling like Alexis was the most sympathetic character out of all of them, which left me reeling (reeling, Kelly!) as I find her ideas about gender to be absolutely repugnant.

There are women on this franchise whom I have greatly enjoyed hate-watching, but in terms of liking them as people... the pickings are slim!  What is it about the OC? 

• Love 1
On 12/6/2020 at 9:29 PM, itsadryheat said:

Remember when the gals actually wrote blogs . . . allowing comments from us in the peanut gallery ? Morphed into a written word cage fight-housewife vs housewife, us pesky fans vs housewife vs Bravo.

Used to be fun. Then slowly one by one, blogs went MIA. Anyone remember when this stopped?

Lazy, Chicken Bravo. 

"The women have to keep a blog. When the show airs, the drama can get real. From things said behind their back to situations that unfolded a lot differently than one thought. That's why the Housewives are supposed to keep a blog with their reactions to each episode as part of their job."

Yes! I loved the blogs. It was fun picking out bad spellings and grammar. Gretchen was particularly fun to rip. 

• Love 4