Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana County?

• Start Topic

chlban, I find it makes for a nice little Sunday daytime recording package since it airs right after a bunch of "First Looks".  I loved Ladies of London, too.  The Melbourne ladies are ... different.    Any port in a storm, I say.  ;-)

• Love 2

Don't forget to watch "Secrets Revealed" tonight.    

I hope there's plenty of snark worthy material, so that I can come back to this forum and LMAO !

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

I wish the show would go back to the way it was. It used to be fun.

I really feel bad for Gretchen, Alexis, Shannon, and Lizzie. They were treated badly.

The best parts of the season, for me, were watching Vickie and Shannon goof off.

With that being said, I still like making fun of all the housewives. Hypocrite much? Yes.

• Love 2

If you look at that site and go down to the Neighborhood aerial view, it looks like the left side of Vicki's house is right on the property line. Those plush trees belong to the house next door. And also, it looks like some kind of a lined grove is planted on the house next door. It looks like the grove has been planted beyond the property line, onto Vicki's property. I don't know, for me I would be leery of such things if I was in the market for a house. I went back and forth, well up and down the page, between the pictures of the house from above at the top of the page and the aerial view down at the bottom which has the property lines drawn out.

Another thing that might be hindering the sale of the house is the fact that it has been shown on tv so much. Perhaps people don't want to purchase the "fame". But my gut tells me that Vicki is trying to get too much for it.

Yes, my guess is that Vicki is justifying the asking price because it belongs to the OG of the OC. Oh, Vicki...

• Love 2

Hope I don't offend anyone with this question. I've never been to Berkeley, and am amused at how Kara and Jeana are describing it (I'm watching Season 4). I work in Cambridge, so I'm no stranger to student protests, eccentric academics, etc. Maybe I've gotten so used to it that I'm not thinking how much of a shock it would be for a sheltered person, like Kara, to venture outside her gated community and see a homeless person. Or a white person with dreadlocks.

Is Berkeley really as "out there" as Kara and Jeana made it out to be? People living in trees, eating out of garbage cans?

Hope I don't offend anyone with this question. I've never been to Berkeley, and am amused at how Kara and Jeana are describing it (I'm watching Season 4). I work in Cambridge, so I'm no stranger to student protests, eccentric academics, etc. Maybe I've gotten so used to it that I'm not thinking how much of a shock it would be for a sheltered person, like Kara, to venture outside her gated community and see a homeless person. Or a white person with dreadlocks.

Is Berkeley really as "out there" as Kara and Jeana made it out to be? People living in trees, eating out of garbage cans?

I'll hazard a guess. Berkeley probably has a mix of urban homeless and left over hippie culture who have creative living choices. Are they the same? Possibly.

I think I will miss Gretchen a little . Slade Slimey, no. And I won't miss Lydia or her pot smoking mother either.

Lydia.... ah sweet Lydia. She just never belonged from day one. She always seemed to be ten steps behind the flow. "like, oh my gosh, what's going on here?"  Maybe her looks just didn't mesh with the blonde, Botox, spray tan others. The only thing in common with some of the x-housewives is her anorexic look. It's really not nice to say, but I found her creepy looking.

lydia_style.jpg

• Love 1

The university was going to build an athletic facility, and that would necessitate the removal of a grove of oak trees.  That created inevitable protests, including some people "tree sitting."  As a general rule, people don't live in trees on campus.  As far as people eating out of garbage cans, "dumpster divers" can be found in almost any major city.  However, Berkeley does have a reputation as a hippie haven.  Coto de Caza, not so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_oak_grove_controversy

Berkeley and the Bay Area have a reputation as being the most liberal part of CA as well as being one of the most densely built parts. So lots of alternative lifestyle plus lots of urban sidewalk life.

OC has the reputation of being the most conservative part of CA and being pretty low density. So lots of very conservative people with malls and shopping centers, not a lot of urban sidewalk life.

Kara has the reputation as being a greedy, uptight, judgement bitch.

It was a bad combo.

• Love 7

Thanks for all the replies. I knew that the OC had a reputation for being conservative, which is why I always thought it curious that Kara went to UC-Berkeley. (I know it wasn't her first choice.) I just didn't know if she and Jeana were exaggerating a lot of this stuff based on their own biases. 

Thanks for all the replies. I knew that the OC had a reputation for being conservative, which is why I always thought it curious that Kara went to UC-Berkeley. (I know it wasn't her first choice.) I just didn't know if she and Jeana were exaggerating a lot of this stuff based on their own biases.

I think what happened was that she didn't get into UCLA or USC (both competitive schools ) so she applied to Berkley late for winter semester (when it's less competitive.) I'm not sure why she didn't do the same with her top schools, maybe you can't submit 2 applications in a year. But it always seemed like she didn't really want to go and was determined to see Berkley as being full if crazy homeless communists. I aso thought she was genuinely uncomfortable with seeing so many people on the street, which is kind of a CA suburban thing. I've had friends who are liberal, but grew up in suburban CA who had a hard time adjusting to the idea of people being just there, on the sidewalk, walking around in the Bay Area. There weren't used to it and many kids in the western US are raised with a subtle idea that if someone doesn't have a car there is some reason why.

Brooks asked the Judge in the Vicki's Vodka lawsuit to seal the court records because he is a CELEBRITY!

Victoria L. Gunvalson (“Gunvalson”) and David Brooks Ayers (“Ayers”) are celebrities, and tabloids and other news media have shown an interest in publishing information about their lives. In fact, certain private and confidential information about them has previously been obtained and published.

The Judge told him to get lost.

http://stoopidhousewives.com/2014/09/29/court-update-crookstoria-motion-to-seal-records-denied-rhoc-vgunvalson-brooksayers/comment-page-1/#comment-566993

• Love 1

Perhaps Kara was inspired to apply to Berkeley by Marissa Cooper, the heroine from The OC. She would be about the right age (high school class of 2006?) to adopt that as her model.

USC doesn't permit winter/spring entry, or at least it didn't in the mid-aughties. I considered transferring there, and from what I recall, one had to also apply really early compared to other schools offering the process (like around November). Also, maybe Kara just pursued the campus that was ranked highest (I believe UCB is #1 in the nation among public universities, with UCLA coming in a slot or two behind).

Regarding "people eating out of dumpsters," freeganism seems like the manner of movement that would flourish in the Bay area. And to echo the posters above, Orange County is indeed conservative- like, to the degree of Oklahoma if you're familiar with any of the Congressman who've represented the districts therein over the years (take a look at the Duncan Hunters, Andrea Seastrand, etc, or read the novel This Vacant Paradise by Victoria Patterson). Personally, though, I'd guess Kara's culture shock was more aesthetic than anything else. Birkenstock-and-socks combos can be life-changingly jarring when you're not accustomed to them.

Edited by lunastartron
Aw, thanks! The mere mention of "Starting Over" brings a tear to my reality-TV loving eyes. That show really set the precedent for female ensemble casts. I don't think I will ever forget Nyanza's charity function for Cassie. Or Josie screaming, "Raaaaaaiiinnnn!" during their intervention. Oh man, I can't go down this road..

Now that's one that O Network should reboot.  Loved that show.  There were so many I loved, and so many I loved to hate. 

• Love 3

I'm trying to get an eff, marry, kill discussion started over in comparative housewives between husbands Jim: Bellino, Edmonds, and Marchese.

I know I'm late to the party, and I couldn't find a comparative housewives thread, so I'll do it here.  This was really hard, as I wanted to kill them all; but then I pretended my life depended on it, so I came up with reasons to make the marry/shag as tolerable as humanly possible.

Marry: Jim Edmonds.  He's always away so I can hang out with friends, watch TV and shop.  Plus, he'll dump me for a younger wife soon enough, so I won't have to stay married to him for long.

Shag: Jim Marchese.  He looks clean and seems like he'd be really quick, so I'd get drunk and give up two minutes of my life.

Kill: Jim Bellino.  No explanation needed.

• Love 3

I know I'm late to the party, and I couldn't find a comparative housewives thread, so I'll do it here. This was really hard, as I wanted to kill them all; but then I pretended my life depended on it, so I came up with reasons to make the marry/shag as tolerable as humanly possible.

Marry: Jim Edmonds. He's always away so I can hang out with friends, watch TV and shop. Plus, he'll dump me for a younger wife soon enough, so I won't have to stay married to him for long.

Shag: Jim Marchese. He looks clean and seems like he'd be really quick, so I'd get drunk and give up two minutes of my life.

Kill: Jim Bellino. No explanation needed.

Haha! Too funny!

I'm really enjoying the background music the show is using! It seems like they got a new budget for some new music. 

When they go kinda snorkeling in Morea, the mystical boppy music was perfect! 

And when Vicki goes to OK and they played twangy music, lol! 

Responding to this here since it is off topic: Las Vegas (original), Paris, San Diego, Philly :)

Good idea!  

I used to post at TWOP (from 2001 until closing), but not often - mostly reading. That said, I watched The Real World from the first one, NY 1992 to the original San Diego.  I had a feeling you may have worked on Vegas, for some reason, and kept thinking "Trishelle, what was she really like?" ESP. ;)

Good idea!  

I used to post at TWOP (from 2001 until closing), but not often - mostly reading. That said, I watched The Real World from the first one, NY 1992 to the original San Diego.  I had a feeling you may have worked on Vegas, for some reason, and kept thinking "Trishelle, what was she really like?" ESP. ;)

Ha Trishelle was pretty much what you saw on the show - very messy, very lost, very much into Steven but wouldn't admit it. Why, did you sense she was hiding something?

• Love 1

Ha Trishelle was pretty much what you saw on the show - very messy, very lost, very much into Steven but wouldn't admit it. Why, did you sense she was hiding something?

Yeah, I figured that.  I have to remind myself that they were just kids, not celebs with demands and diva behavior.  I actually felt bad for Trishelle because you could tell she was acting cool about Steven not wanting a relationship with her, but was hurting deep down.  That said, were there any divas/jerks, or incidents we didn't see? You must have had so much fun filming at The Palms!

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 1

I was living in San Diego when that season aired. I watched Paris and las V.egas. I think I was done by Philly. I started watching in season one but gave up somewhere around Austin, I think.

I blame that show for making me reality TV's bitch.

I'm going to be in Europe for 6 weeks  starting October 4th. I'm trying to figure out how to get my reality fix 

Just my luck - the ONE time I meet an real insider, and it's a show I never watched.  I am bummed beyond belief!  :-)

I know a lot of inside dirt on Doctor Who, but that's it.

• Love 1

I was living in San Diego when that season aired. I watched Paris and las V.egas. I think I was done by Philly. I started watching in season one but gave up somewhere around Austin, I think.

I blame that show for making me reality TV's bitch.

I'm going to be in Europe for 6 weeks  starting October 4th. I'm trying to figure out how to get my reality fix 

I know a lot of inside dirt on Doctor Who, but that's it.

JennyMominFL - I live in San Diego (North County)!  Alas, I never watch Dr. Who, either, so I'm still a loser. 

Your Euro-trip sounds divine.  Where will you be visiting, if you don't mind me asking?  I've never been, but I'm of European descent and do a lot of armchair travelling.  :-)

JennyMominFL - I live in San Diego (North County)!  Alas, I never watch Dr. Who, either, so I'm still a loser. 

Your Euro-trip sounds divine.  Where will you be visiting, if you don't mind me asking?  I've never been, but I'm of European descent and do a lot of armchair travelling.  :-)

I lived in Oceanside. I was stationed at Pendleton and stayed.. I lived in Oceanside fo 15 years. This trip is to Copenhagen, Paris, Loire Valley , Amsterdam, England and Scotland. I  have 2 weddings to attend. One in Lincoln England and one in Glasgow 

• Love 1

I lived in Oceanside. I was stationed at Pendleton and stayed.. I lived in Oceanside fo 15 years. This trip is to Copenhagen, Paris, Loire Valley , Amsterdam, England and Scotland. I  have 2 weddings to attend. One in Lincoln England and one in Glasgow 

Get out of town!  I LIVE in Oceanside.  Not near the "back gate", though - I'm near the Vista borderline by the 78 and Tri City Hospital.

And I am totally jealous of your itinerary; that would be my dream trip!  (Screw my German "homeland", I'm all about the British Isles, French food & wine, and Dutch marijuana - er, I mean, tulips!!!).  I hope you'll be generous enough to share your experiences with us here when you return (I live vicariously through the adventures of others).

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

Get out of town!  I LIVE in Oceanside.  Not near the "back gate", though - I'm near the Vista borderline by the 78 and Tri City Hospital.

And I am totally jealous of your itinerary; that would be my dream trip!  (Screw my German "homeland", I'm all about the British Isles, French food & wine, and Dutch marijuana - er, I mean, tulips!!!).  I hope you'll be generous enough to share your experiences with us here when you return (I live vicariously through the adventures of others).

I was really close to the back gate, by North River Road and College BLVD.. I miss Albertos,LOL. We went to Berling and the Rhone area last year. I love Germany.. I also have a blog that we will update while we travel 

• Love 1

I was really close to the back gate, by North River Road and College BLVD.. I miss Albertos,LOL. We went to Berling and the Rhone area last year. I love Germany.. I also have a blog that we will update while we travel 

I live just off College Blvd.  And Albertson's kinda sucks now that it merged with some other grocery store and the prices went thru the roof.  I'm all about Grocery Outlet and the Fresh&Easy clearance section, when I'm not buying cheap cat food at Walmart!  :-)

I love German food, too - but I can cook that myself; French food is a lot of work for just one person...   I'd love you to PM me with a link to your blog, if it's even appropriate to ask such a thing. 

It's bothering me so I feel a little compelled to comment on the increasingly darkened 'smoky eye' look that is seems the housewives are in love with. Wasn't the 'smoky eye' look supposed to be the look for a nighttime engagement like a dinner party, a night at the opera or a gala black tie event? I thought that daytime eye-shadow was more of a lighter touch of the black mascara and eye shadow. When did the rules of eye shadow change, nobody sent me that memo. High School teens go to their prom with their first dramatic smoky eye with all the sparkles on the black shadow. It's cool and fun. But this newer look of the deeply smoky eye in the daytime having brunch or getting their coochie waxed really baffles me. I notice it more intensely on Heather, Shannon and Tamra. It used to be that the 'ladies' really only went all out for the reunion shows, totally glammed up to the teeth. Are they all moving towards the total black eye, Gaga style?

fash-inspiration-panda-ladygaga-RS.jpg

• Love 3

It's bothering me so I feel a little compelled to comment on the increasingly darkened 'smoky eye' look that is seems the housewives are in love with. Wasn't the 'smoky eye' look supposed to be the look for a nighttime engagement like a dinner party, a night at the opera or a gala black tie event? I thought that daytime eye-shadow was more of a lighter touch of the black mascara and eye shadow. When did the rules of eye shadow change, nobody sent me that memo. High School teens go to their prom with their first dramatic smoky eye with all the sparkles on the black shadow. It's cool and fun. But this newer look of the deeply smoky eye in the daytime having brunch or getting their coochie waxed really baffles me. I notice it more intensely on Heather, Shannon and Tamra. It used to be that the 'ladies' really only went all out for the reunion shows, totally glammed up to the teeth. Are they all moving towards the total black eye, Gaga style?

fash-inspiration-panda-ladygaga-RS.jpg

Sometimes the smoky eye is so heavy handed, the ladies look like they have 2 black voids instead of eyes.

• Love 1