Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana County?

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

You are right, VedaPierce....I should have probably thought that out a little more.  

(And, by the way - I LOVE your screen name - I actually just finished watching "Mildred Pierce" on the Movies network again today - for about the 1,000th time - one of my all time favorite movies!)  

Mine TOOOOO! My fave! I can never resist and actually just DVR’d it for the thousandth time! Lol Veda is my favorite villain. She’s just so damn rotten. I first got hooked on the movie when I saw Carol Burnett do it as a kid, and was always fascinated by it. Also have a thing for “All About Eve”. Another one I saw countless times.

Joan and Bette are the best, shades of Tamra and Vickie in “Baby Jane” 😉

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Mine TOOOOO! My fave! I can never resist and actually just DVR’d it for the thousandth time! Lol Veda is my favorite villain. She’s just so damn rotten. I first got hooked on the movie when I saw Carol Burnett do it as a kid, and was always fascinated by it. Also have a thing for “All About Eve”. Another one I saw countless times.

my evil cousin is named veda!!  

• LOL 7
41 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

My sister and I had only known CB's spoof of Mildred Pierce then as young girls we actually saw the movie...mind blown! Fell in love with Eve Arden too, she had some great throw away lines, All About Eve is my happy place too.

Vicki and Tamra as Joan and Bette would be the best spin off ever.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

(And, by the way - I LOVE your screen name - I actually just finished watching "Mildred Pierce" on the Movies network again today - for about the 1,000th time - one of my all time favorite movies!)  

I love the name too.  I think I will change my name to “Jezabelle” as it is on tomorrow morning 6:30 am.  Turner Classics.  I LOVE the old black n whites.  Thank God for those two channels.  After watching Brownstone, those movies soothe me, lol.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Yup - another one of my faves, too...and, even though I have it on DVR, if it's on TV, I just HAVE to watch.  Joan and Bette were amazing! 

And, now, I'm picturing a dinner theatre somewhere in the heart of Orange County with a stage production of "Baby Jane", starring those two local celebrities, Vicki Gunvalson and Tamra Barney Judge!!  (But, who would play which role!)  

ETA:  I just realized that the ladies are at Lake Arrowhead - isn't that where Mr. Pierce took Veda and Kay for a weekend when Kay got sick??  Too many coincidences, LOL!!! 

Edited by njbchlover
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Why can't this update of "Baby Jane" be a reality...? Surely there is some Housewives-obsessed filmmaker out there to make this happen? Or maybe Kyle and Kim Richards. If Gus Van Sant can do a shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho," can't we have the Housewives-version of "Baby Jane?" Maybe Ryan Murphy's next project...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

You are right, VedaPierce....I should have probably thought that out a little more.  

5 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Have you ever read the book? It was reprinted in a larger paperback and is great! Really fills out the movie more.  I just happened to look for it on Amazon and enjoyed it so much. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, stcroix said:

Have you ever read the book? It was reprinted in a larger paperback and is great! Really fills out the movie more.  I just happened to look for it on Amazon and enjoyed it so much. 

Had no idea there was a book!! I know what I’m doing over my vacation! Thank you!!

• Love 1
On 12/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, VedaPierce said:

Had no idea there was a book!! I know what I’m doing over my vacation! Thank you!!

It's a great book - the same author who wrote "Double Indemnity" and "The Postman Always Rings Twice" - one of my favorite authors!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Two months after my mother passed, the serious lockdown restrictions were "lifted" and I flew back to visit her grave. I had assholes question why I was traveling. As if I took a cruise to the Bahamas. Some of us didn't have the luxury of sitting home and contemplating our own wokeness and responsibility to our fellow man. I had a responsibility to my mother and I feel I shirked that to avoid backlash from assholes like Andy and Brown Wind. This stupid show is hitting way too close to home right now. 

I’m sorry you didn’t get to see your Mother.  We all have regrets unfortunately.  Follow your heart.

• Love 5

@thesupremediva1 I am very sorry for your loss.  Grief is that much more difficult now when we are separated and cannot always be where we would like during these events.  I always go back to we make the best decisions we can make at the time with the information we had at the time that we made them.  You chose caution.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Like you, I wish you could have been with her at the end and been able to attend a memorial service in person.  We all share a collective grief right now that, for you, is compounded by what I expect is a very over powering sense of loss.  I hope you are able to find some peace and continue to heal as you work your way through your grief over the loss of your mother.  

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I always go back to we make the best decisions we can make at the time with the information we had at the time that we made them.  You chose caution. 

Thank you so much. Sometimes I feel that way; other times I feel like I chose fear and face-saving. It ebbs and flows. I guess the real issue is that my mother was a fearless woman, and I truly believe she'd have told me to be brave and go. I wasn't as brave as her, and I never will be. It's something I hope to come to terms with one day. Unfortunately, watching these reunions, where Andy dives into COVID immediately, brings all this stuff to the surface. I made a similar rage-post about the way he treated Ramona in NYC, because he treats all as very black and white, and it's not. We're not all in the same boat. Some of us didn't have enviable choices to make.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Thank you so much. Sometimes I feel that way; other times I feel like I chose fear and face-saving. It ebbs and flows. I guess the real issue is that my mother was a fearless woman, and I truly believe she'd have told me to be brave and go. I wasn't as brave as her, and I never will be. It's something I hope to come to terms with one day. Unfortunately, watching these reunions, where Andy dives into COVID immediately, brings all this stuff to the surface. I made a similar rage-post about the way he treated Ramona in NYC, because he treats all as very black and white, and it's not. We're not all in the same boat. Some of us didn't have enviable choices to make.

I’m sorry that happened to you, and sorry you lost your Mother. But I know energy is infinite. We go on to a better thing. Not sure what that is, but I know it happens. Frankly, fuck those fuckers who try to shame you. Come on down to Florida and I’ll take you walking in the Everglades and canoe Fish eating creek. That will help you get your boldness back. One of these days you’re going to bust out and say what the fuck.  Then watch those sniveling cowards shrink back. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

We do all have very difficult choices to make.  I was under medical treatment when the pandemic hit and those treatments had to be greatly scaled back.  Eventually we had to restart with a different plan.  That was possible because my city got a good handle on things at the start and there were beds available.  I also continued to care for an elderly relative who has health conditions and a severe anxiety disorder.  So I still went shopping and dropped things off to her. Decisions to be made at the time. 

I was fortunate enough that, when I travelled to LA to participate in a fundraiser, I was able to fly on someone's (certainly not my!) private jet with a group that had all self quarantined for two weeks prior to the flight. That was a luxury few have.  When some of the folks are lecturing people they forget that we all live different lives with different responsibilities.  Some people must go to work in client-facing positions.  They have no other good options. Others can stay home.  Some are single and isolated.  Others have large family units.  We have different home types and live in areas where no one is near to crowded areas.  There is no one size fits all or even most.  

When someone like Andy judges people he is talking from an extreme level of privilege.  Often he needs to just plain STFU. The same goes for anyone else shaming others for their choices.  

You did the absolute best you could at the time.  You are still brave.  Sometimes braveness is expressed through caution. 

• Love 4
On 1/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

I thought the way they treated Ramona at the reunion re: COVID was disgusting. The women didn't care about Ramona's COVID protocol, and they wouldn't have taken the same issue if it had been, like, Sonja on the beach in Miami - they simply didn't like Ramona and were using COVID as a way to criticize her. I say this all as someone who takes COVID seriously and abides by the generally accepted precautions. Even still, I acknowledge we all have freedom of choice, we're all making the decisions that feel right to us, and the way they went after Ramona felt like virtue signaling at its worst. Go after her for her behavior on the show, not for how she handles a pandemic.

Edited by PhilMarlowe2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Responding from An Unexpected Thaw since I started to get OT. . .

46 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Nope. A lot more laid back here.

Thanks for letting me know! I've always loved everything about California-its beauty, Mediterranean-like climate, shopping, proximity to excitement, etc. If NoCal is laid-back, maybe my California dreams can come true someday. :) I was in Los Angeles for my last visit, but I'll make it up north next time. 

• Like 2