Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana County?

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, SCS said:

WalnutQ, are you down in OC? From the news reports I've seen it sounds like the fire is still moving into the Cleveland Nat'l Forest but some residential areas have been evac'd. These fires are just never-ending.

@SCS - No, I am in North San Diego County; just close enough to get local news coverage.  We've had some horrific wildfires down here, as well; it seems like every year the fires get worse and more frequent.  Unfortunately, this is our "new normal".  :-(

• Love 8

I am done and done with OC housewives. Never will watch again. Reading the comments just reinforces the fact that I am not missing a thing.

Thankfully some of you redirected me to Below Deck! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Am loving it!

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 3

Moved from the Heather thread.

SSE Purse Dump - 

Thin wallet with debit card, DL, Costo card, various perk cards, insurance cards etc.  Purse tissue pkg., pill box, Poo Pourri, pen, small note pad, mirror, lipstick/balm, Tic Tacs, pepper spray keychain, box of plastic toothpick thingys. 

NBCs_The_More_You_Know.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6

I keep my credit cards in one of those lead lined things along with my insurance cards and drivers license. I have a wooden toothpick holder that I keep filled. Nothing worse than smiling into the bathroom mirror and seeing bits of food stuck in my teeth. I also keep a pen, a pencil for doing crossword puzzles, matches, a keychain filled with those rewards cards, tissues, Advil, Listerine pocket packs, my phone, my Passport and the inevitable change that collects in the bottom. That’s for everyday use. When I’m doing important stuff or traveling I have a larger purse that fits my iPad, a yellow legal pad, a book (for waiting), a deck of cards, a snack (like a protein bar) and my medications besides the normal stuff mentioned above. I would carry around chocolate but I live in the south and melted chocolate is too messy. Sometimes the peanut M&M’s. 

• Love 5

A post by @SweetieDarling in this week’s episode thread about giving all newbies a second season got me thinking about the RH one-and-dones I would have liked to have seen return/didn’t mind as well as those I knew I wanted to jettison out the gate.

For example: I loved Joyce on BH and definitely think she should have returned. I would have loved more Jules on RHONY but I realize it may not have been good for her mental health. Even OC Lizzie I could have dealt with.

On ATL: I love Kim Fields (...Tootie.) but she was not a great fit on the show. I kinda wanted her off for her own sake.

Here’s a controversial one: I think a second season of Peggy might have been entertaining.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 3

I liked Joyce, and was disappointed when she didn't return, but the other women were not nice to her. Brandi calling her Jacqueline, Yolanda was a total bitch to her, and Kyle did not like losing the title of Best Hair. Plus the combination of a pageant queen, a few models and some actresses is a recipe for jealousy, backstabbing and general mean girl behavior. She was too nice, too pretty, and too thin for them. When Brandi made her first appearance, Paul Nassif made a comment about whenever a younger, pretty woman joins a group of other women, she's going to be met with jealousy and hostility (or something to that effect) I wouldn't mind bringing her back now that Yoyo and Brandi are gone (she stands more of a chance, imo).

Lizzie was ok. I think she should have gotten another season so we could get to know her a little better before deciding whether or not to vote her off the island. I don't even really remember that much about her except her little kids and how her husband always looked disheveled and stoned.

Peggy might be interesting if she had returned, only because I'd like to see how the others would deal with her Armenian-ness and better than everyone else behavior. Plus, she was under some major stress with her surgery (of the cancerous non-cancer or was it non-cancerous cancer?), and her father's recent death and probably should have waited another season to join. I wonder if she'd get along with Yolanda? (I know, wrong franchise, but just sayin'...they have some similarities).

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

When Brandi made her first appearance, Paul Nassif made a comment about whenever a younger, pretty woman joins a group of other women, she's going to be met with jealousy and hostility (or something to that effect) I wouldn't mind bringing her back now that Yoyo and Brandi are gone (she stands more of a chance, imo).

I really hated that he said that.  It reduces women to petty esoteric shrews who have no value but their appearance.  I guess it's not surprising considering his line of work.  

On second seasons, I agree that Lizzie and even possibly Peggy might have been interesting.  I felt awful for poor Jules on RHONY, too, but leaving was definitely in her best interest.  I sincerely hope she is doing well.  Another interesting observation on the one and dones is Lydia.  When she left after one season, many people thought she was so nice and should have been given a chance.  When she was given that second season, she was a real ass.  I have to say they should have stuck to their first instinct and left her out!!

• Love 5

Both these stories are OC and Bravo-related  (not specifically HWs):

This first involves a Orange County MD who was featured on some Bravo show about dating and mating and who, along with his girlfriend, has been arrested for drugging and raping multiple women at his Newport Beach home. 

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-surgeon-rape-charges-20181017-story.html

The comments ^^ skew (as LA Times comments always do) into other concerns, including racial imbalance within the criminal justice system and how to dress for court, but there is also a post about a celeb dentist from Newport B who went to prison for murder and was later paroled. I tried various Google searches sans success, but found this story about yet another celeb -- apparently everyone is a celeb something or other --  dentist who appeared on "The Swan" and who surrendered her license last year after getting caught giving patients all kind of costly and unnecessary procedures.  

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-newport-dentist-20170222-story.html

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Has anyone here checked out Welcome to Waverly? 

Just realized the show hasn't premiered as yet. I think I will check it out.

I've got it on my tivo one pass list. I'm curious about it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SCS said:

OC sideways: with the currents eps featuring Our Girls Aventures in Jamaica, I thought this was timely.  Terrible. But timely:

https://amp.freep.com/amp/1520587002

Wow. I feel so badly for those woman and how horrible for them to have suffered such an attack and have no support by the Justice system in Jamaica. I was thinking of taking a trip there (by myself) and now there is no way that I would go. 

• Love 6

What I find especially appalling is the ongoing denial by local authorities that any risk exists. True story: back in 1992, a colleague came to my office upset. She told me that a good friend of hers had just returned from Jamaica, where she and her husband were staying at a high-end resort. While there, the friend hired a jeep to explore some of the countryside. Her vehicle was run off the road by 3 locals who gang raped her. After she and her husband came home and she went to her own gyno for care, the lab work revealed she had been infected with syphilis. 

Again, this was 1992. The idea that the attacks detailed in above are an aberration is total horsehit.

• Love 7

It has been my casual observation that women are not safe (in the land of men), and never have been.

I had very high hopes that would change in my lifetime; but it hasn't.  So very many years of one step forward, two steps back have left me gutted.  I refuse to live with mankind any longer.  I'll spend my "golden years"  with the critters and a few really good girlfriends (neither of whom try to fuck me).

• Love 7

I liked what I saw of Welcome to Waverly. A friend posted an article calling it the “Anti-Bravo Bravo reality show” and that left me intrigued. 

What happened to the Jerry O’Connell show? Did Andy figure out how boring it was and pull the plug?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Well, there you go, sunny San Diego.  When you get bored, you can go to Disneyland, hop on a scooter, and go on the rides.  What’s better than that?  I have to travel 1300 miles to go to Disneyworld, which is my favorite place to go on vacation believe it or not.

We were going off the rails in the episode thread, so I'm replying here :

You couldn't pay me to go to Disneyland, much less go on any rides!  The antique carousel in Balboa Park here in S.D. is more my speed.  I love the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park (yes, they call it Safari Park now), Birch Aquarium, Balboa Park - so many things to see & do here.  These days, I appreciate the free stuff closer to home - the beaches, Sunset Market, and the Transcendental Meditation Center, which has the most beautiful grounds, replete with huge old trees, babbling brooks & pools filled with ginormous koi.  But mostly I stay home and commune with my backyard critters.  My TeeVee watching Mama Raccoon shares my preferences for nature shows, true crime, and especially all the ho'wives (I think she connects with all that smokey eye makeup they're so fond of).  :-)

I must say the weather where I live is pretty close to perfection, so I consider myself to be very lucky.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

We were going off the rails in the episode thread, so I'm replying here :

You couldn't pay me to go to Disneyland, much less go on any rides!  The antique carousel in Balboa Park here in S.D. is more my speed.  I love the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park (yes, they call it Safari Park now), Birch Aquarium, Balboa Park - so many things to see & do here.  These days, I appreciate the free stuff closer to home - the beaches, Sunset Market, and the Transcendental Meditation Center, which has the most beautiful grounds, replete with huge old trees, babbling brooks & pools filled with ginormous koi.  But mostly I stay home and commune with my backyard critters.  My TeeVee watching Mama Raccoon shares my preferences for nature shows, true crime, and especially all the ho'wives (I think she connects with all that smokey eye makeup they're so fond of).  :-)

I must say the weather where I live is pretty close to perfection, so I consider myself to be very lucky.

Wrong thread.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, walnutqueen said:

It has been my casual observation that women are not safe (in the land of men), and never have been.

I had very high hopes that would change in my lifetime; but it hasn't.  So very many years of one step forward, two steps back have left me gutted.  I refuse to live with mankind any longer.  I'll spend my "golden years"  with the critters and a few really good girlfriends (neither of whom try to fuck me).

Which brings me to this.  When I started to work for a big company in the city, I had to go to various departments to take dictation, like the law dept, sales, purchasing, advertising, etc.  The men, who were mostly drunk by 2pm after meetings, hit on us girls like you wouldn’t believe.  Provactive comments, offers for drinks, offers for more, you name it.  Zero respect for women that were probably pussies at home and never got any.  It was “Mad Men” to the hilt.  Nowadays, I’m sure charges would be in order, I hope.  I don’t know how it is now as I’m through with working, but I’m sure it still goes on to some degree.  I’m not the only one on this board that has experienced this, I’m sure.  Some men just can’t help it or they just don’t care. 

• Love 5

I just want to say that there are good and bad people in all shapes, sizes, colors, and genders.  It's sad that some people in positions of power take advantage of others, but not everyone does.  There are some truly wonderful men in this world.  I know, I raised one of them.  

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Normades said:

I just want to say that there are good and bad people in all shapes, sizes, colors, and genders.  It's sad that some people in positions of power take advantage of others, but not everyone does.  There are some truly wonderful men in this world.  I know, I raised one of them.  

Of course I know that not all men are bad, and the good ones are greatly appreciated.

However, when it comes to aggression, be it harassment, warfare, violence, murder, or rape, there is one gender that has a distinct propensity for these actions.  Biology and cultural evolution have a lot to do with it.  We need more parents like you who manage to raise wonderful men, and society as a whole needs to change.

• Love 8

Changing the subject here, but tiz the season.  Has anyone been watching the Christmas movies on Hallmark, Lifetime, etc.?  I hate them.  All new movies that are all sappy with the same five actresses.  What happened to the old movies we love like “The Christmas List “ with Mimi Rogers and “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez.?  What nerve of these stations.  They screwed with the good stuff.  Where do I complain, to the stations?  Anyone here like all these new movies?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Changing the subject here, but tiz the season.  Has anyone been watching the Christmas movies on Hallmark, Lifetime, etc.?  I hate them.  All new movies that are all sappy with the same five actresses.  What happened to the old movies we love like “The Christmas List “ with Mimi Rogers and “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez.?  What nerve of these stations.  They screwed with the good stuff.  Where do I complain, to the stations?  Anyone here like all these new movies?

Haven’t watched any of them and don’t plan to. They are either too predictable, sappy or unreal. 

• Love 7

Are you sick of all the bad news in the world? Rock out the beginning of this glorious month with this Jennifer Nettles-Idina Menzel version of "The Little Drummer Boy":

• Love 4
On 10/16/2018 at 6:21 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Moved from the Heather thread.

SSE Purse Dump - 

Thin wallet with debit card, DL, Costo card, various perk cards, insurance cards etc.  Purse tissue pkg., pill box, Poo Pourri, pen, small note pad, mirror, lipstick/balm, Tic Tacs, pepper spray keychain, box of plastic toothpick thingys. 

NBCs_The_More_You_Know.jpg

Poo pourri for the devil's doughnuts!  That never gets old for me.  Never!

On 11/30/2018 at 7:36 PM, Reality police said:

My Christmas movies will always be Scrooged and Die Hard.

scrooged-ghost-of-christmas-present-grabbing-bill-murrays-lip.jpg

A Christmas Story and in the last 2 years, I've really come to appreciate the magic that is Elf.

• Love 3
(edited)

What the fresh hell...

I was surprised to see Hulu had FINALLY gotten this season and watched the first 2-1/2 episodes then went to bed.

After work the next day, I wanted to catch a couple of more episodes and IT WAS GONE.  POOF.

No abracadabra, no nothing, just totally GONE from the Hulu lineup and back to season 12 being the last season available.  

Anyone else stream this shit show and have a similar problem?

I'm wondering if perhaps Hulu accidentally put it up for viewing before the planned release date and then yanked it back.  I know every month I check the "what's coming to Hulu this month" listings, and RHOC wasn't anywhere on the list (yes, I'm pathetic and actually looked forward to seeing any seasons of the franchise becoming available for my snarking pleasure).  

I know I didn't hallucinate this because there is no way I can ever forget all of that screeching in the obstacle course/zipline segment.  Even my wildest nightmares couldn't replicate that horror.  

Fuck you, Hulu.  

ETA UPDATE:  Well, anyone who streams this on a service other than Bravo will probably be screwed, too.  I contacted Hulu and Bravo apparently forced them to pull season 13 due to copyright infringement, even though Hulu still has season 1-12 uncontested.  Bravo....FUCK YOU.   😞  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Woot, woot, woot!  Well deserved, IMHO.  She is amazeballs in that role.

Yes she is!

I just watched this series about a month ago thru the recommendation of a friend.

I think my favorite scene was the first time Villanelle broke into Eve's house. The scene in the bathroom where Even defends herself with the toilet brush.

• Love 1
Just now, KungFuBunny said:

Yes she is!

I just watched this series about a month ago thru the recommendation of a friend.

I think my favorite scene was the first time Villanelle broke into Eve's house. The scene in the bathroom where Even defends herself with the toilet brush.

That scene made me consider adding a toilet brush to my extensive repertoire of self defense weapons.  A dirty toilet brush, of course, because I'd imagine that would flummox an intruder until I could lay hands on something a leetle more immediately lethal.  

Now I'm imagining Keith Morrison narrating my trial for murder by E. coli.

• LOL 3
22 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

That scene made me consider adding a toilet brush to my extensive repertoire of self defense weapons.  A dirty toilet brush, of course, because I'd imagine that would flummox an intruder until I could lay hands on something a leetle more immediately lethal.  

Now I'm imagining Keith Morrison narrating my trial for murder by E. coli.

It was Villanelle's expression when she broke through the door and Eve was holding up the brush. Like that would stop a psychopath if their intent was to kill. Then fast to Eve standing in the kitchen dripping wet from being dunked and shaking. LOL!!!

• Love 1

Ok. I admit it. I’m confused. On a different thread (and I’d go back there and ask these questions if I could remember where I had it) we were discussing that Braunwyn’s husband was on the reality show Big Brother Season 2. In fact he won. He was nicknamed Dr Will on the show. Well I googled it because I think that I watched that season (I did, but only remember vaguely).  I don’t think that Dr Will is indeed her husband. All the names and information doesn’t add up to me. Any clarification would be helpful. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ok. I admit it. I’m confused. On a different thread (and I’d go back there and ask these questions if I could remember where I had it) we were discussing that Braunwyn’s husband was on the reality show Big Brother Season 2. In fact he won. He was nicknamed Dr Will on the show. Well I googled it because I think that I watched that season (I did, but only remember vaguely).  I don’t think that Dr Will is indeed her husband. All the names and information doesn’t add up to me. Any clarification would be helpful. 

The Dr who removed Ryan's tattoo is the one who was on Big Brother twice, as well as Amazing Race I believe 😉 Not Brownie's husband.

• Love 2