Type keyword(s) to search

You Haven't Seen WHAT? Movies Everyone Saw Besides You

• Start Topic

You all are tough competition!  I confess, I've seen a lot of the old sci-fi and contemporary adolescent series movies.  However, in the way back category, I have a fair sized list of movies which haven't been mentioned :

Steel Magnolias

Blade Runner

On Golden Pond

Airplane

Caddyshack

Raging Bull

The Shining

Rocky Horror Picture Show (!)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

To Kill a Mockingbird

Twelve Angry Men

These have been mentioned, so I'd like to say a "me, too":

Titanic:  I am far too allergic to that Celine Dion song to ever not want to gouge my eyes out when I even think about it, so the movie is out, for me. 

Apocalypse Now

The Godfather series

Is there a thread for movies you would like to un-see?  Because I have some of those, too.

• Love 3
(edited)

Count me in for Jaws, E.T., Dances With Wolves, Avatar, The Color Purple, Apocalypse Now and the Godfather series.

I also skipped all the Harry Potter movies except for the last one (which I watched more as a joke with a friend than anything), and all the Fast & Furious movies (although I may break down and watch the last one for Paul Walker). Also, I don't do horror genre at all, so that's a non-factor for me.

Some others:

Man of Steel

Pretty Woman

Fight Club

The Hobbit movies (I loved the LOTR trilogy, but no way was I getting tricked into a four-movie time-suck "based" on a book that was basically a short story compared to LOTR)

Pulp Fiction

12 Years a Slave (or most "Best Picture" winners/nominees of recent years -- too many to name)

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Casablanca

Frozen

I'm sure there are more that'll come to me later.

Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 1
Steel Magnolias

Blade Runner

On Golden Pond

Airplane

Caddyshack

Raging Bull

The Shining

Rocky Horror Picture Show (!)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

To Kill a Mockingbird

Twelve Angry Men

Haven't seen any of these either, ToxicUnicorn! Although, just casually looking at them, they almost all came out before I was born. If I miss the hooplah, I usually will not search a movie out. 

I was in high school when it came out, it's still a minor classic, but I have never, ever mustered up any interest in seeing Bring it On. I simply do not care about cheerleading. Same reason why I didn't see A League of Their Own until this year (I just I hate baseball).

Although, just casually looking at them, they almost all came out before I was born.

This is a good reason!  I think I tried to list them in reverse chronological order, so Steel Magnolias was 1989 and To Kill a Mockingbird was 1957,  In my (far more flimsy) defense, I wasn't around for part of that list, either - but they were all considered classics within my consciousness.

Bring it On (2000) was a guilty pleasure for me, as was Drumline (2002).  I'm pretty excited - I just discovered wikipedia has a list of American movies by year!  That's going to be a much handier way for me to find movies to watch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_American_films_by_year

For 2000, looks like the big one I missed is O Brother, Where Art Thou.  My husband loves that movie.  I guess he's been nagging me to see it for 15 years.  Gotta give him credit for persistence.

(edited)

Bring it On (2000) was a guilty pleasure for me, as was Drumline (2002).  I'm pretty excited - I just discovered wikipedia has a list of American movies by year!  That's going to be a much handier way for me to find movies to watch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_American_films_by_year

For 2000, looks like the big one I missed is O Brother, Where Art Thou.  My husband loves that movie.  I guess he's been nagging me to see it for 15 years.  Gotta give him credit for persistence.

Bring it On is also a guilty pleasure at my house. So bad, but so good.  I tried to watch O Brother ... but could not make it through -- or very far in, for that matter. This is strange, because I love and/or worship the Coen brothers but O Brother and The Ladykillers will not grace my TV screen.  (To be honest, neither will No Country for Old Men, which was (IMO) a spectacular film, but not one that I think I will watch a second time.)

Also, no Drumline here either. 

Edited by harrie

I discovered yesterday that my coworker has never seen Forest Gump.

I've not seen Caddyshack, Citizen Kane, any of the Godfather movies, Life is Beautiful, Avatar, Frozen, 12 years a slave, or Selma. It's usually either because they seem boring and/or overhyped, or because I just can't with the wallowing in past horrors, which is why I barely made it through Schindler's List.

Has anyone not seen the X-Men movies?

• Love 1

Haven't seen any X-Men movies

Does it count if I've seen only the last 10-15 minutes of Drumline, ever?

Well, the last 10 minutes of the movie are the best part of the movie. So I say it doesn't count. Consider it a just-the-tip freebie and remove it from your list.

• Love 2

I'm resurrecting this thread to confess I haven't seen any of the Die Hard movies. I know the original is a classic thanks in large part to Alan Rickman. The tributes to him invariably mention his performance in this, so I will probably belatedly Netflix it. My reluctance up to this point is snobbery, pure and simple. I tend not to enjoy movies where the villain is more cultured than the hero.

• Love 1

I have not seen any Avenger or X-Men film, just have no interest.  A couple of the Iron Mans were a huge waste of my time.  (I've seen Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix though and I absolutely love it).  Not interested in any Supermans either.  The Spidermans were just OK.  No interest in any Fantastic fours.

• Love 2

I have not seen any Alan Rickman film. Franchise/blockbuster films aren't usually what I gravitate towards, while the others have just passed me by, I guess. However, after watching a clip of Truly, Madly, Deeply, that does look like a film that I would greatly enjoy. Who knows when I'll get around to doing so, however.

Excellent small films starring Alan Rickman currently available on Netflix:

Bottle Shock  

CBGB

Blow Dry

Gambit (Though I suppose one could argue it isn't a "small film".)

ETA  I should probably include a couple of movies I haven't seen: Titanic and Avatar.  Not interested.

Edited by Demented Daisy

I have not seen Die Hard. It's got that problem of having Bruce Willis in it.

I had that problem too, for years.  Then a friend convinced me to watch it for Alan Rickman.  Now it's my favorite Christmas movie.  BW is actually tolerable in it, and I'd never have imagined saying that about him.

• Love 1

I never saw E.T.

Or Avatar.   Ferris Bueller.   The Harry Potter movies.   Django Unchained.  Or the Human Centipede.

I have never seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  I know it's still new, but it's like the world is shrieking "What's wrong with you that you haven't seen it yet?"

For that very reason, I may never see it.    I'm stubborn that way.

• Love 1

I have never seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  I know it's still new, but it's like the world is shrieking "What's wrong with you that you haven't seen it yet?"

For that very reason, I may never see it.    I'm stubborn that way.

I cosign you! I've already gone over WHY I'm not going to see it so I'll skip my reasoning for now but just tell all those who claim  that ' You HAVE to see it and you'll LOVE it!' , nope! To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, you don't have to eat the whole egg to know that it's rotten and I've gotten enough whiffs conclude it re this movie  without needing to eat a single bite - regardless of whether others  believe it's a caviar omelette !

I had to use advance search to see your reasons. To me TFA makes sense because if we were to assume at the end of Return of the Jedi that if our heroes were going to restore both the Republic and the Jedi Order, exactly how it was before the Empire came to power then they were just going to end up making the same mistakes that led to it in the first place!

I had that problem too, for years.  Then a friend convinced me to watch it for Alan Rickman.  Now it's my favorite Christmas movie.  BW is actually tolerable in it, and I'd never have imagined saying that about him.

It's Bruce Willis but as Honest Trailers put it "Bruce Willis when he still cared" The Bruce Willis who was actually a fun guy(Moonlighting).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I have never seen The Color Purple. Or Menace to Society. Or Malcolm X (or any other Denzel Washington movie). I have also never seen the following movies: 

New Jack City

The Godfather (any parts)

Saving Private Ryan

The Gladiator

Finding Nemo

Up

The Outsiders

Rain Man

Fight Club

I have not seen Die Hard. It's got that problem of having Bruce Willis in it.

Don't let that keep you away from Death Becomes Her or The Sixth Sense. Both are very un-Bruce Willis-like performances, and the movies are very enjoyable.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4

Don't let that keep you away from Death Becomes Her or The Sixth Sense. Both are very un-Bruce Willis-like performances, and the movies are very enjoyable.

Yeah sometimes I think Bruce Willis is like three different people -- the guy who can act, the guy who can pull shtick well, and the guy who is there for the paycheque.

• Love 4

Titanic

Inception

Frozen

The Despicable Me movies. I have no clue why these minion things are so adored.

The Harry Potter movies. Just not interested in kids learning magic.

Anything Tarantino has done since Jackie Brown. His stuff is all the same, and there are only so many ways you can write swearing before it just gets dull.

All but the first twenty minutes of the first Hobbit movie. The embarrassing scene with the dwarves singing while washing up made me turn it off before anyone else heard it.

Loads more, but if I started listing them, I'd never stop.

I think people should watch " The Sixth Sense" especially to see Haley Joel Osment's performance.

• Love 2

Or Malcolm X (or any other Denzel Washington movie)

Any particular reason? Maybe there's something about Denzel that turns you off. 

But if you do ever have the slightest interest in seeing a Denzel flick, I recommend trying one of these: 

• Man on Fire (adorable Dakota Fanning!)
  • The Bone Collector (Angelina Jole!)
  • Devil in a Blue Dress (Jennifer Beals in probably her best movie role!)
  • The Pelican Brief (Julia Roberts!)
  • Philadelphia (Tom Hanks!)
  • Training Day (maybe. It's set in urban Los Angeles and involves crime and cops. Don't know if you like those kinds of movies).
  • Love 1

I'd skip all those in a heartbeat to watch Remember the Titans.  It's one heck of a story and very well made movie.

The movies I've never seen have already been mentioned - Godfather Trilogy, most the Twilight, most he Harry Potter, Avatar - these I have no real interest in seeing either.

There are others I'd kind of like to see, but haven't yet, despite thinking I want to see them.  These include (but are not limited to):

Apocalypse Now

Clockwork Orange

Citizen Cane

The Usual Suspects

• Love 3

After seeing the new Ghostbusters trailer in another thread, I realized... I've never seen the original.  Or the sequel.

Don't worry about the sequel but the original is just good times.

• Love 1

After seeing the new Ghostbusters trailer in another thread, I realized... I've never seen the original.  Or the sequel.

The weird thing is I now realize that I have seen the sequel several times, I have no memory of seeing the original.

I've seen Sister Act 2 many times, and Sister Act never.  Ghosbusters is worth seeing.

The only one of the comic book movies (XMen, Spiderman, Avengers, Superman, Batman, the new one with Ryan Renolds) that I've seen is Iron Man, and that was just to get out of the heat one summer.

Haven't seen High Noon - don't want to.