Type keyword(s) to search

You Haven't Seen WHAT? Movies Everyone Saw Besides You

• Start Topic

Some people love movies, and some other people are like me! I average about 5 theater visits per year, and rent no more than 10. I've missed out on so many movies. People freak out when they learn what movies I haven't seen.

Here's a beginner list of the HUGE movies that I haven't seen:

Gone with the Wind

The Godfather

Star Wars (any of them)

Good Will Hunting

Harry Potter (any of them)

I can't be the only one right? Which movies have you never seen that everyone else saw?

• Love 4

All the one's on your list, lol plus:

The Hunger Games 

The Divergent Series

Frozen

Transformers

The first two Batman's with Christian Bale

I do go watch movies at least once a month, but I never got around to any of these. I usually have some other random movie that I want to watch. 

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies and haven't had any interest in them. (But I did have 'The Empire Strikes Back' action figures as a child).

None of the Harry Potters or Lord of the Rings, either.

• Love 2

It's a Wonderful Life. 

Miracle on 34th Street. 

Most old black and white "classics."  I don't like them.  

And there are so many more.  I wait to watch recent releases on Netflix so I have missed many from last year or so.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I've found that if I know too much about the plot I have no interest in seeing the movie. It's that cultural osmosis thing, I already feel like I've seen it so what's the point? I feel that way about nearly all classics that contain some sort of defining twist, like Citizen Kane.

• Love 2
It's that cultural osmosis thing, I already feel like I've seen it so what's the point? I feel that way about nearly all classics that contain some sort of defining twist

This is a good point. Everyone told me that Bruce Willis is dead the whole time in Sixth Sense. So, why would I care to see that movie?

I don't watch "scary" movies at all. I'm just not a fan of being scared. A few of my friends have embraced this and just immediately spill the beans after seeing a movie with a huge twist. They say "I know you won't watch it, but... it was all a dream!" 

• Love 3

I prefer movies to TV most of the time, yet I don't go to the theater nearly as much as I used to.  The "cultural osmosis" thing is real. Plus, I'm more or less middle-aged, so I'm in the weird place where I'm not interested in most indie or arthouse films yet the blockbusters don't interest me much either. 

Like wings707, I've never had much interest in the "classics." None of the teenager dystopian genre interests me, and I only watched Divergent to see Theo James and his wonderful lips.  

Other films: 

Harry Potter franchise

The Color of Money 

Friday

Any of the Meg Ryan romantic comedy ouevre

The Toy Story franchise

Basically any film Debra Winger is known for, such as Terms of Endearment or Officer and a Gentleman

The Godfather franchise or just about any film directed by Francis Ford Coppola

The Rambo franchise

12 Years a Slave

The Help

Except Kill Bill, anything directed by Quentin Tarantino.  Yes, that includes Pulp Fiction.

Star Wars series

Indiana Jones series

E.T.

Casablanca

It's A Wonderful Life

Twilight series

Frozen

Shawshank Redemption

Fight Club

Inception

The Usual Suspects

Scarface

Kill Bill Pts. 1 & 2

Monster's Inc.

A Bug's Life

The Graduate

Roman Holiday

I still haven't seen any of the Scream movies. This was big because I was in high school when they came out. My sister who was a much more avid movie goer then me would see them and tell me everything that happened after she came home, so I never saw the point.

• Love 3

It's a Wonderful Life. 

Miracle on 34th Street. 

Most old black and white "classics."  I don't like them.  

And there are so many more.  I wait to watch recent releases on Netflix so I have missed many from last year or so.  

Yeah, people just cannot believe I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life since it's on so frequently every Christmas season.  I also haven't seen The Sound of Music, which many of my friends find tragic.

Avatar and Frozen are the biggies. It seems like everyone has seen them except for me.

You are not alone! I've seen neither, but I love Kristen Bell, so at some point I plan to see Frozen. But I think I am allergic to hype, so I'll wait until Let it Go isn't everyone's ringtone.

• Love 2

Yeah, people just cannot believe I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life since it's on so frequently every Christmas season.  I also haven't seen The Sound of Music, which many of my friends find tragic.

Ha ha ha!  I saw Sound of Music many years ago with a gun to my head.  I don't like musicals.  

I haven't seen any Disney movie since I was a child.  Not even the Pixar ones.  Just not interested.

Avatar - would rather have my eyes plucked out.

Any movie made from a Nicholas Sparks book.

Magic Mike - I can see Matthew McConaghey get naked for free on the internet, and the other stars just don't interest me.

Oh, and any and all superhero movies.  I just can't with movies based on comic books.  Not even for Chris Hemsworth.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Never seen any Harry Potter movie.

Or The Sound of Music

I feel like I've found the mother ship -- I've never seen The Sound of Music either!

Other big flicks I haven't seen are 

ET

any Harry Potter

any Twilight

any Hunger Games

any Divergent

Frozen

Toy Story

There's more - but the general rule seems to be if a movie is waaaaay popular, I probably won't see it. Or not for a good long time - it took me about 20 years to see Raiders of the Lost Ark (I loved it).  Took me forever to see Jaws, too -- probably about 25 years.

Edited by harrie

Silver Linings Playbook

American Hustle

Edited because that was a needlessly long explanation. I will just list the films in the future.

Edited by raezen

There's more - but the general rule seems to be if a movie is waaaaay popular, I probably won't see it. Or not for a good long time - it took me about 20 years to see Raiders of the Lost Ark (I loved it).  Took me forever to see Jaws, too -- probably about 25 years.

I've never seen Jaws, either! 

Also, a mark for Avatar on the list.  I have no interest in the sequels coming up, either. 

• Love 1

I've seen A Night to Remember at least ten times.  I hope to never see Titanic.  The story of that fated voyage was classism and love?!  Barf.  

I grant that the story and the script of Titanic are terrible but Leo & Kate give it their all, which is a lot, and for all his many faults, James Cameron gives good effect -- that ship sinking is an impressive technical achievement.  Honestly, as stupid as the rest of the film was, I still felt the tragedy and terror of the ship going down.

On the other hand, I haven't seen Avatar and have no plans to, so technical achievement alone isn't necessarily cause to see a film.

• Love 2

I have not seen Avatar. My sister described it to me as 'Dances with Wolves in space' and I was like "I've already seen Dances with Wolves. I'm good."

I haven't seen any Matrix movies.

No Hunger Games

I, sadly, saw the first Twilight. (Not my fault.) But none of the others.

I don't do horror movies if I can help it so I haven't seen any Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Saw, Paranormal Activity or Scream movies. I saw the last five minutes of Blair Witch Project and didn't get it and... really don't care to, either.

Haven't seen any of the Alien series, either.

Edited by Dandesun

I can't think of any that aren't already listed here.  I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life or Gone With the Wind.  Or Alien.  I fell asleep during The Matrix and never bothered trying to watch it again.  Some of movies listed surprise me, like the title of the thread suggests, but ikmccall, yours is the most surprising!  Maybe it's because every one of them were such a big part of my teens/early 20s that I can't imagine not having seen at least one (although, I have to admit to not liking Risky Business).

I've also never seen:

Schindler's List

Dances With Wolves

The Exorcist

Apocalypse Now

And a lot of the older classics.

I grant that the story and the script of Titanic are terrible but Leo & Kate give it their all, which is a lot, and for all his many faults, James Cameron gives good effect -- that ship sinking is an impressive technical achievement.  Honestly, as stupid as the rest of the film was, I still felt the tragedy and terror of the ship going down.

I agree.

On the other hand, I haven't seen Avatar and have no plans to, so technical achievement alone isn't necessarily cause to see a film.

I'd recommend not getting talked into seeing it. I've said this before:  I'm not a fan of 3-D.  I refuse to pay extra money for it, but I was talked into seeing Avatar in 3-D and I'm glad I did. To this day, it's the most stunningly beautiful 3-D project I've ever seen.  If there was ever a movie to simply try to ignore the storyline (which wasn't great, but I didn't hate it as much as others) and just soak in the special effects, it's this one.  With out it, yeah, I'd have probably been a little more "meh" about it.

Took me forever to see Jaws, too -- probably about 25 years.

Funny thing about Jaws for me:  I have a phobia of natural bodies of water.  The bigger the body of water, the more terrified I get.  But, I love Jaws.  I've seen it over a dozen times, at least, but I still have to cover my eyes for a few scenes!

• Love 1

I can't think of any that aren't already listed here.  I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life or Gone With the Wind.  Or Alien.  I fell asleep during The Matrix and never bothered trying to watch it again.  Some of movies listed surprise me, like the title of the thread suggests, but ikmccall, yours is the most surprising!  Maybe it's because every one of them were such a big part of my teens/early 20s that I can't imagine not having seen at least one (although, I have to admit to not liking Risky Business).

I've also never seen:

Schindler's List

Dances With Wolves

The Exorcist

Apocalypse Now

And a lot of the older classics.

I agree.

I'd recommend not getting talked into seeing it. I've said this before:  I'm not a fan of 3-D.  I refuse to pay extra money for it, but I was talked into seeing Avatar in 3-D and I'm glad I did. To this day, it's the most stunningly beautiful 3-D project I've ever seen.  If there was ever a movie to simply try to ignore the storyline (which wasn't great, but I didn't hate it as much as others) and just soak in the special effects, it's this one.  With out it, yeah, I'd have probably been a little more "meh" about it.

Funny thing about Jaws for me:  I have a phobia of natural bodies of water.  The bigger the body of water, the more terrified I get.  But, I love Jaws.  I've seen it over a dozen times, at least, but I still have to cover my eyes for a few scenes!

I love Jaws too, and watch it whenever it's on.  I know it very well, can quote all kinds of stuff from it, but still find something new about it with each viewing.  Having grown up on boats (Long Island Sound and the Atlantic), I've always had a curious but respectful relationship with sharks.   So maybe it's a good think I didn't see Jaws until about 15 years ago.

• Love 1

Ooh, I thought of another series I have missed out on... Batman

I have only ever seen Val Kilmer as Batman. The movie took place entirely at night, and I did not care for it. So, I haven't seen Christian Bale's Batman or George Clooney's.

Ooh, I thought of another series I have missed out on... Batman

I have only ever seen Val Kilmer as Batman. The movie took place entirely at night, and I did not care for it. So, I haven't seen Christian Bale's Batman or George Clooney's.

Okay, they probably don't totally hold up, but I submit that (of the pre-Dark Knight Batmans) Michael Keaton was the best and the all-Prince soundtrack from the original Batman is amazing.  I'd watch that.

• Love 3

Haven't seen Avatar for this exact reason. While technical achievement can be a reason to watch a movie (it's the main reason why I watched Birdman), that is never CGI for me. I don't mind CGI in movies, I'm just not excited about it when it's basically a high budget videogame cutscene.

Popular movies that are on my list of shame:

The Godfather trilogy, Goodfellas, Scarface (but I will!)

Annie Hall and Manhattan

Apocalypse Now

Schindler's List

Every movie based on Tolkien except the first LotR (see first paragraph).

Haven't seen Avatar for this exact reason. While technical achievement can be a reason to watch a movie (it's the main reason why I watched Birdman), that is never CGI for me. I don't mind CGI in movies, I'm just not excited about it when it's basically a high budget videogame cutscene.

Popular movies that are on my list of shame:

The Godfather trilogy, Goodfellas, Scarface (but I will!)

Annie Hall and Manhattan

Apocalypse Now

Schindler's List

Every movie based on Tolkien except the first LotR (see first paragraph).

Our lists are almost the same!  I have seen Goodfellas but when I was (probably too) young and don't remember all (most) of it.  And I have seen Schindler's List and Peter Jackson's Tolkien films.  I have to say, for me the LotR trilogy did a great job of not letting the performances be overshadowed or consumed by the effects.  The Hobbit... I just couldn't muster the same enthusiasm for it.  Also, although I acknowledge that this is perfectly natural, healthy, and reasonable and I shouldn't comment, I was continually distracted by how much older Orlando Bloom looked in the Hobbit series vs. LotR, when his character is supposed to be younger in the Hobbit.

There are lot of hugely popular films I haven't seen, and likely will never see, as I have zero interest in doing so.  Some examples:

-Any of the Star Wars films (I tried several times to get through the original, and never made it more than half an hour)

-Anything Indiana Jones

-Just about any fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.)

-Any comic book made into a film

-Twilight

There are also quite a few I can't quite believe I haven't yet got around to watching, some of which are rather embarrassing to admit:

-The Godfather

-The Maltese Falcon

-Aliens

-From Here to Eternity

-Apocalypse Now

-Good Will Hunting

-American Graffiti

-The Color Purple

Edited by Bastet

I have to say, for me the LotR trilogy did a great job of not letting the performances be overshadowed or consumed by the effects.

I'd have to disagree with you about this.  It's always been my relatively unpopular opinion that, with a few exceptions like Ian McKellan and Billy Boyd (but only near the end of the last film for him), the effects almost completely overwhelmed the performances to the point where it seemed like the effects were all Peter Jackson ended up caring about.

I could never get on the band wagon for any of the Twilight films.  I tried reading the first book when it came out because I worked in a bookstore and tried to know what people were reading, but it was so terrible that it killed any interest in anything Twilight ever for me.

Edited by proserpina65

I'd have to disagree with you about this.  It's always been my relatively unpopular opinion that, with a few exceptions like Ian McKellan and Billy Boyd (but only near the end of the last film for him), the effects almost completely overwhelmed the performances to the point where it seemed like the effects were all Peter Jackson ended up caring about.

When I compare LotR to other big effects films of the same time -- Harry Potter and the Star Wars prequels -- LotR definitely wins in terms of performance over effects.  I found the HP interactions with Dobby painfully awkward and I don't think I need to explain the horror of Episodes I-III in terms of letting the effects swallow the film (among other things).

When I compare LotR to other big effects films of the same time -- Harry Potter and the Star Wars prequels -- LotR definitely wins in terms of performance over effects.

Well, that sure is damning it with faint praise though. :D

-The Color Purple

Haven't watched it either.

Oh, and I also haven't watched Casablanca and never wanted to.

I swore off horror movies after the first Alien way back in 1979, so that means I haven't seen any of the HalloweenFriday the 13thSaw, etc. films.

I was going through a big snob phase when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, and I haven't caught up with it or any of its sequels apart from Crystal Skull, which barely counts because I was watching it on a long bus trip with a terrible soundtrack.

I haven't seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail because I figure I've had all the best bits quoted at me already. I didn't enjoy Life of Brian for this reason.

No Twilight and only the first Hunger Games.

Zero interest in superhero movies.

I missed a lot of 80's youth-oriented movies also, because that phase of my life was already over.

Nothing by Quentin Tarantino. Nothing in the SAW franchise and Nothing by Francis Ford Copolla. Those are the big ones for me. And except for possibly Apocalypse Now and maybe The Godfather (although it looks dull!) I have zero interest to see any of them.

I swore off horror movies after the first Alien way back in 1979, so that means I haven't seen any of the HalloweenFriday the 13thSaw, etc. films.

I was going through a big snob phase when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, and I haven't caught up with it or any of its sequels apart from Crystal Skull, which barely counts because I was watching it on a long bus trip with a terrible soundtrack.

I will just ask that you don't judge any of the Indiana Jones movies by whatever opinion you may have formed watching Crystal Skull.   It's by far the worst of the franchise; and while I don't care for Temple of Doom or Last Crusade, Raiders of the Lost Ark was a really fun, essentially well-done movie.  RofLA gets a little long and requires some wiling suspension of disbelief -- my two minor knocks on RotLA -- but when watching it for the first time I mentally smacked my forehead and said 'Why didn't you ever try to see this before?!!"  I was extremely pleasantly surprised.  I also kind of kick myself because it must have been an amazing film to watch on a large screen; it if shows up in a theater around here sometime, I am there. 

Just my opinion, not trying to force anyone to do something they don't want to.  

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

I will just ask that you don't judge any of the Indiana Jones movies by whatever opinion you may have formed watching Crystal Skull.   It's by far the worst of the franchise; and while I don't care for Temple of Doom or Last Crusade, Raiders of the Lost Ark was a really fun, essentially well-done movie.  RofLA gets a little long and requires some wiling suspension of disbelief -- my two minor knocks on RotLA -- but when watching it for the first time I mentally smacked my forehead and said 'Why didn't you ever try to see this before?!!"  I was extremely pleasantly surprised.  I also kind of kick myself because it must have been an amazing film to watch on a large screen; it if shows up in a theater around here sometime, I am there. 

Just my opinion, not trying to force anyone to do something they don't want to.  

I recognize that Crystal Skull is widely considered a dud, so it didn't set me up to hate the other films. It would be like judging the first two Godfather movies by the third (which I thought wasn't that bad, even with Sofia Coppola). I will probably get around to RofLA sometime, and maybe Last Crusade also.

Friday

Thank.  You.  I have no clue why this movie is so liked.  My coworker is an anchor for a popular morning show and loves this film.  Almost every Friday in the last hour of the show, he had clips of the show play on screen.  It looks stupid from all the clips I'd seen.

The Godfather

Coming from a family of Sicilian heritage, my father refused to watch this film or have it on our TV at home.  I saw the first film last week on TV and I have to say it's boring.

The Maltese Falcon

There are two versions of the novel - one made in 1931 and the better known remake.  The pre-code version is worth a look - they got away with stuff the Code wouldn't allow in the 1941 version.

Other films:

Avatar  - As mentioned, I already saw Dances With Wolves and I didn't need to see how a bunch of military meanies seek out "unobtainium".

The Thor Movies

Iron Man 2 - I was told it paled to the first one anyway and only meant to set up the Avengers film.

Lauded horror movies like "Friday the 13th" (any version/sequel/reboot), Freddy Krueger movies ("Nightmare On Elm Street", et al), "Blair Witch Project", "The Amityville Horror" "Saw", "Hostel" or "Carrie".  Maybe I'm soft, but slasher films and gore fests just aren't what I'm looking for in films.

The Color Purple

13 Years a Slave

Selma

Precious

Django Unchained

Crystal Skull - I thought the Indiana Jones films ended just fine with the third film, and this one was unnecessary.

Almost Famous

TLOTR trilogy and The Hobbit film - Nothing against Tolkein, but it just doesn't grab me.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Good Will Hunting

Patch Adams

The Crying Game

Ghandi

Children Of A Lesser God

Shakespere In Love

Cider House Rules

The Green Mile

Philadelphia

Gladiator

Chocolat

Like Water For Chocolate

The Piano

Lost In Translation

Sideways

Million Dollar Baby

Juno

There Will Be Blood

Milk

The Blind Side

The King's Speech

The Social Network

The Help

War Horse

Silver Linings Playbook

Birdman - Whenever I hear the title, I keep thinking of this guy.

Gravity - the previews alone made me want to puke with all that spinning!

Theory of Everything - I'd read that according to his first wife's original memoirs (which were republished and reedited) Hawking was a bit of a douche to her and made her feel stupid and small because he was such a lauded genius.  

Boyhood - a co-worker told me he'd seen it and said the only thing this film had going for it was the gimmick of being filmed over a period of years.

Nearly every Academy Award Winning film for best picture for the past 35 years (with three exceptions).

More often than not,  most films I end up not seeing are those which get tons of press from "auteurs" who INSIST I'd be a mouth breather if I didn't see them. 

Movies I haven't seen:

the Matrix (I'm a huge sci-fi fan and everyone is shocked when I say it, but I feel it's to late to see it now).

Fight club

Pulp Fiction

Frozen (I really hope to stay that way, but I babysit so who knows)

Kill Bill (though I've seen the part where she kill's Bill lol)

The Karate Kid (I've only seen the reboot with Will Smith's kid)

Edited by blueray

When I compare LotR to other big effects films of the same time -- Harry Potter and the Star Wars prequels -- LotR definitely wins in terms of performance over effects.

I wouldn't disagree with you, but as Crim pointed out, that's not exactly setting the bar very high.  For me, it's pretty obvious that the big effects were more important than any of the performances, but at least there's not that sense of "gee whiz, look what we can do" which pervades the first two HP films.

Edited by proserpina65