Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Whitney & Bre

So MTV trotted this one out today as the lead-in to the MTV Movie Awards.

I assume it was a first run episode, since they were referring to January 2014.

The twist?

Catfish got catfished and everybody lived happily ever after.

Yawn.

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 2

WHAT IN THE HELL? Fuck you, MTV!!!

Edited to add: apparently this is the episode that's airing Wednesday as well. I will cover it then.

Ah, grazi....Now I know to for sure skip this week's episode.

And maybe all future episodes.

As Cocoa Princess says, this season is plummeting.

As is my interest in it.

Boo. 

Moral of the story. Lie and get caught...you too will be awarded a trip across the country!

Was she really a stripper, or was that part made up? You'd think with that job, you could save up for a plane ticket in 4 years. Even so, at the end, it said "she got a job part time as a hairdressers assistant so can afford another ticket". What was she doing before? And why wasn't she working full time?

• Love 9

My girlfriend and I once had a long elaborate (hypothetical and in jest, of course) discussion about how we should catfish Catfish to get a free trip someplace. So I was admittedly delighted to see that someone actually did that! It was a pretty boring episode, but really. The show deserves it. (Though do we really believe the producers did such little due diligence that this was a total surprise? I thought the idea was generally that the producers knew absolutely everything in advance but Nev and Max do not. I suppose Bre could've told them she was using fake photos, but if that was literally the only sketchy part of it, it seems a weird "case" for the producers to sign on for in the first place.)

• Love 1

One thing this stupid episode did make clear is that the show is often contacted by the person doing the catfishing (Whitney said that it was Bre who filled out the application) rather than the person being catfished.  Which makes it pretty obvious that the initial email that Nev receives asking them for help is completely concocted bullshit.  I'd already read about this elsewhere, but I was surprised the show left in that information so that the whole audience is now aware of that level of fakery.

• Love 2

I really thought it was going to turn out that Whitney didn't realize Luscious B was Bree and she had been talking to "both" of them without realizing it was the same person.  My boyfriend and I met online several years ago and we often joked that we should contact Catfish so we could get a free trip to visit each other (he was friends in RL with my brother so our hooking up wasn't quite as weird as it could have been  LOL).  We were laughing our asses off when we realized that that is exactly what these two did.  I can't believe they bothered to air this episode.  I think we may be in the final season of my guilty pleasure show.

• Love 2

I was also surprised they showed the part of Whitney saying that Bre was the one that contact MTV. 

It was nice to see how happy they were to see each other though.  Nice change from everyone being all weird and pissed off.

• Love 1

This season is just plummeting. I can't believe they aired this fucking episode. 

MTV might as well risk the lawsuit and re-air Blake & Kiersten.  That's prob the only thing that will stop me from removing this sinking ship from my weekly shows. 

Come on, MTV, TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM.

• Love 3

So she gave them her Facebook login info? Why would she do that, unless she wanted to be found out? I confused and annoyed by this episode!

That boggled my mind! Who would do that? Not me, I don't care how badly I wanted to meet someone face-to-face. This whole episode was dumb.

• Love 1

There's no way the producers don't know everything. Nev and Max don't have the same information each time... they have specific information and do the specific types of searches that will get them the information the producers want them to have for the story they want told, no more and no less. They've never asked for Facebook log in information before, at least not that we've been shown.

• Love 3

I love how they tried selling the cross-country trip to "finish" the episode as bringing together "true love." Isn't catfishing the opposite of that? And if the producers are in on it, why did they go through with this application? Have they run out of real catfishing stories?

• Love 3

There's no way the producers don't know everything. Nev and Max don't have the same information each time... they have specific information and do the specific types of searches that will get them the information the producers want them to have for the story they want told, no more and no less. They've never asked for Facebook log in information before, at least not that we've been shown.

Yeah I thought it was odd when Nev first met her saying, "You dervse this trip," Kinda werid since he never really noted these trips to other people before.

• Love 1

And if the producers are in on it, why did they go through with this application?

Besides offering a little variety, it was the producers' chance to tell everyone that they're not going to do an episode just so someone can get on TV or say they fooled them.

A lady in Brooklyn has an online girlfriend in Los Angeles, and each is too broke to visit the other. Plus also they've never videochatted or whatever because that's the kind of thing that would get them on the show...right?

Read the story

"A deep verandah" is my new favorite euphemism - so genteel!  Take a lesson, Max.

I wonder if they had to air this episode since they didn't have time to shoot any extras. I'm not sure how long Max was away producing that movie but maybe they only had a few weeks to film the remainder of the season when he came back. Either way, this one was pretty unsatisfying.

Empress1 -- I love Max's "Disappointed Dad Face". Very apt description.

Despite Nev, Max, et al milking Whitney and Bre's fakery for all it was worth, this was a stunningly dull episode. 

I'm curious--what was the gist of the Blake and Kiersten episode, and why did it never air?

From the recap:

"There have to be easier ways to arrange to see one another," says Max, with all the unconscious privilege of someone who can't fathom what life is like for a woman supporting four people on a Wendy's closer salary and who's had a friend lend her an apartment to meet them in, possibly because she doesn't want MTV viewers to see how she actually lives.

What "unconscious privilege"? That sounds like someone who thinks that if you can afford cable TV and internet service, you ought to be able to save up enough money for a plane ticket, if the trip is really that important to you.

• Love 4

What "unconscious privilege"? That sounds like someone who thinks that if you can afford cable TV and internet service, you ought to be able to save up enough money for a plane ticket, if the trip is really that important to you.

Who says anyone had cable TV? Also, basic internet service can be pretty damn cheap and benefits the entire family, especially if any of her brothers is school aged and needs it for homework. In this day and age, you more or less need internet for school, job searches, bill pay, banking, etc. I do think there is some privilege in assuming that someone could save money for an expensive, round trip cross country plane ticket while being the sole provider for an entire household on a fast food salary. It sounds like her money goes first to household bills and expensive that benefit everyone she lives with, not to personal desires. It's never fair to judge someone living in poverty based on one's perceptions of what they're spending money on vs what you think they should be spending money on.

• Love 10

Boooo!  Catfish, you suck!  Way to hype that dishonesty and a sob story will get you a free trip!

/Srsly....I am now getting a GoFundMe....because I wanna go to Greece...and I've never been.  And I'm middle aged.  And I have really bad corns, and Dr. Scholl's eats up a lot of my cash.

• Love 7

It's never fair to judge someone living in poverty based on one's perceptions of what they're spending money on vs what you think they should be spending money on.

She didn't have to take the trip. She chose to scam someone rather than compromise her lifestyle to save up for it or just not do it. In this day and age, you can get internet access in schools, colleges, and libraries. Don't forget that there's a second person in this relationship, who could have been kicking in towards the airfare which can be cheap anyway if you're flexible about timing.

• Love 4

The fact that they actually aired this means the shark has officially been jumped.

Indeed.

Catfish, you suck!  Way to hype that dishonesty and a sob story will get you a free trip!

It's supposed to be Catfish, not "Lemme buy you a ticket."

• Love 1

Besides offering a little variety, it was the producers' chance to tell everyone that they're not going to do an episode just so someone can get on TV or say they fooled them.

But isn't that exactly what happened?

• Love 2
She didn't have to take the trip. She chose to scam someone rather than compromise her lifestyle to save up for it or just not do it. In this day and age, you can get internet access in schools, colleges, and libraries. Don't forget that there's a second person in this relationship, who could have been kicking in towards the airfare which can be cheap anyway if you're flexible about timing.

I have to agree.  She just conned someone to pay for her trip.  It really has nothing to with "privilege" so much as she just lied to get what she wanted. 

• Love 4

I was not disputing any of this. She absolutely didn't need to take the trip, and both women were absolutely at fault for scamming the show. I was by no means using her poverty as a justification for being dishonest and scamming the show. I was speaking to another poster's question about Tara's observation in her recap that Max's seeming disbelief that the scamming a TV show into sending her to California seemed like a more fathomable way to get there than saving up for a plane ticket was showing a bit of unconscious privilege on Max's part.

• Love 4

I was speaking to another poster's question about Tara's observation in her recap that Max's seeming disbelief that the scamming a TV show into sending her to California seemed like a more fathomable way to get there than saving up for a plane ticket was showing a bit of unconscious privilege on Max's part.

Let's try this another way. What makes you think Max didn't see things that put into question Whitney's claimed inability to save up for a trip after four years? It could have been little things like pulling out a smartphone instead of a flip-phone that added up.

I do think there is some privilege in assuming that someone could save money for an expensive, round trip cross country plane ticket while being the sole provider for an entire household on a fast food salary.

How do we know that she is? She clearly didn't want her family anywhere near filming. What if she knew her mom would take exception to that portrayal because Mom's really the one raising a family with the help of government benefits. She might have given Nev an earful about Whitney not chipping in enough of what she earns and always videochatting with her friends instead of helping with the chores.

Let's try this another way. What makes you think Max didn't see things that put into question Whitney's claimed inability to save up for a trip after four years? It could have been little things like pulling out a smartphone instead of a flip-phone that added up.

How do we know that she is? She clearly didn't want her family anywhere near filming. What if she knew her mom would take exception to that portrayal because Mom's really the one raising a family with the help of government benefits. She might have given Nev an earful about Whitney not chipping in enough of what she earns and always videochatting with her friends instead of helping with the chores.

I would be willing to bet "we" (the American taxpayers) are the ones primarily supporting them. There is no way 5 people are living off a fast food worker's salary in NY. Edited by Cara
  • Love 2

Here's the truth.  LA and NYC are very expensive cities.  It's hard to exist on minimum wage.  I really have problems with people complaining about how "we" the taxpayers are supporting whatever; no one seems to have problems with billionaires who line their pockets while paying their employees a pittance.  

I thought the episode was silly but the level of anger here, the way some folks are reacting, you would think they committed capital murder.  As for them lying, well, most reality shows are full of crap anyway, so what the hell.

Now my real question is, why did Nev and Max agree to go through with this?  They could have just turned around and left.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 13

Frankly, for me, the disgust mostly comes from the fact that Whitney sat there and went on and on about how much honesty means to her. I didn't believe her when she claims that they had never met before, either.

• Love 4

Well, it was bound to happen. Somebody finally "catfished" Nev and Max. The first season might have been genuine, but now we're just getting famewhores who want to be on TV or, in this case, a free round trip cross-country plane ticket. A few episodes back, it was Isaak (the creepy guy with the foot fetish) who filed an application on Courtney's behalf just so he could meet Nev (and presumably Max who was on location filming his movie at the time). I guess kudos to Whitney and Brenell for pulling this fast one. It's Nev and Max's jobs to be the gatekeepers, but they're such pushovers that there was no way they were going to stand in the way of true love. They're such nice guys. However, I think airing this kind of puts all future Catfish applicants on blast and lets them know this kind of deceit won't be tolerated again. If they do this again, it's no longer Catfish. They won't air an episode like this again, especially with all the negative feedback they've gotten from it.

Max seemed absolutely floored that they'd go through the trouble of applying to Catfish to meet each other repeating many times that there had to be an easier way. But I highly doubt that either Whitney (a Wendy's closer and breadwinner for her large family) or Brenell (an unemployed exotic dancer) had any extra money lying around even with government assistance. Applying was probably wishful thinking on their part and they thought there was no way Nev and Max would buy it. They had no choice but to continue with the lying once Nev and Max showed up (even though Whitney went a tad overboard with it), and they ended up getting what they wanted.

I applaud Whitney for working. There's no way she can support 6 kids on Wendy's wages in Bed-Stuy. There's also no way she's not on public assistance, but at least she's contributing something to the pot. If she lives in Section 8 housing, then having a job would increase her rent substantially. The system kind of discourages people from not working, so kudos to her for doing something. Brenell is unemployed in L.A. I'm sure she's getting by using public assistance as well unless she put a way a stash from her stripping days. I'm pretty sure Brenell was the opener during her stripping career and she worked the weekday shift. That is one whale of a woman, and I'm sure there is no unseeing that for the patrons who saw her remove her clothes. 

I will say that it was nice to watch a couple happy to see other for a change. Maybe they'll get married and Nev and Max can film the wedding on MTV's dime and be the best men.

Edited by jmonkey

I'm so happy they aired this episode early so I didn't have to wait x number of days to be bored.

I actually can't believe they aired this. If they didn't before, and I'm sure they did, they are going to get a veritable flood of people attempting to do just this. If this was gonna be broadcast at all, they should have told the girls off and had a really bitter ending, if just to prove the point that 'we won't stand for this shit.' As it stand, this show is probs gonna get saturated by people doing the same thing in a much less obvious manner.

The shine has worn off a bit? Enjoying Max being pretty openly checked out, tho.