Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Whitney & Bre

I think the reason why Nev and Max went through with it was because there are so few happy endings on this show.  Maybe they just wanted one.

As for Bre and Whitney getting public assistance; most welfare in this country is corporate welfare, what Bre and Whitney are getting is nothing more than a drop in the bucket.  I save my outrage for corporations that get tax breaks and pay their employees nearly nothing, the CEO who makes eight figures while their secretary barely makes five.  

Sorry for the rant, but I work in a food pantry on the weekends and I see folks who are really struggling because wages have been frozen for the past thirty years.   Like I said, folks like Whitney and Bre are a tiny drop in a HUGE bucket.

• Love 13

I can see them wanting to air a happy ending, but one in which the people lied just to be on TV and get free airfare sends the wrong message, to me. Everyone will be trying this now. Some may even fake their reactions when they see each other, say "Ewwwww, you look nothing like you said you did!" and so on.

When a reality show like this drops the "fourth wall" and allows us to see the flaws and mistakes, it's over.

• Love 1
They had no choice but to continue with the lying once Nev and Max showed up (even though Whitney went a tad overboard with it), and they ended up getting what they wanted.

I'm pretty sure they had plenty of choices besides "continue the deception" once Nev and Max showed.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I presumed the lies continued because they wanted to get their trip to see each other.   

• Love 4

Why did Whitney look like Chelsea Houska to me?  Is this the sign? The sign that I have officially watched way, way too many reality shows and they're scrambled in my head.

LOL! I get what you mean! I'd be watching some reality show + then I have that total "AHA! That blah blah person is a reality whore because I have seen them in that other blah blah show!" moment....I have ,too, probably watched way too many reality shows to even know who Chelsea Houska is....;-x

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure they had plenty of choices besides "continue the deception" once Nev and Max showed.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I presumed the lies continued because they wanted to get their trip to see each other.   

im sorry but the outrage over them lying to me is eyeroll worthy   this is not the first catfish to lie to get on the show. lol  i could reveal some information but i wont all i will say thought is getting on this show is not hard as it seems  the producers dont even do real background checks on the stories my friend was able to pass through the process with  simple made up story and only got exposed because she decided to expose herself. lol  we even had a paln on jsut gonig on the show and pretending to be a couple who has met online  she has done several "reality shows"

people forget some of these so called "reality shows" are not as real as they make themselves out to be

Let's try this another way. What makes you think Max didn't see things that put into question Whitney's claimed inability to save up for a trip after four years? It could have been little things like pulling out a smartphone instead of a flip-phone that added up.

How do we know that she is? She clearly didn't want her family anywhere near filming. What if she knew her mom would take exception to that portrayal because Mom's really the one raising a family with the help of government benefits. She might have given Nev an earful about Whitney not chipping in enough of what she earns and always videochatting with her friends instead of helping with the chores.

Um you know you can get cheap basic android phones for like $79  some even $49.00  that are prepaid  monthly bill about $35-40 dollars  some with unlimited talking and unlimited minutes. I swear some of the posts on here are little crazy

i didnt like this epsosde but it seems  posters are mad for some reason and i dont see why and some of these comments sound silly a plane ticket is not comparable to a phone which now days  there prepaid planes that sale smart phones for $50 , or cable  or even internet all which can be found cheap depending on where you live.

Edited by TonyMicheaux

Um you know you can get cheap basic android phones for like $79  some even $49.00  that are prepaid  monthly bill about $35-40 dollars  some with unlimited talking and unlimited minutes.

Yes, you can pay for a several-hundred-dollar phone as part of your monthly service bill, or buy a used phone for less than half that price and put it on your credit card, but you don't have to do either. The point is that if you're claiming poverty as a reason why you need Catfish to see your "true love", and there's no evidence you've been doing any penny pinching to try to afford the trip on your own, people are going to think you just wanted to get on TV.

The point is that if you're claiming poverty as a reason why you need Catfish to see your "true love", and there's no evidence you've been doing any penny pinching to try to afford the trip on your own, people are going to think you just wanted to get on TV.

There wasn't any evidence that Whitney WASN'T doing any penny-pinching either, other than what she said, and presumably what the production knew or found out about her in the course of making the episode, probably including stuff that didn't make it into the episode. Anyway, none of us paid for Whitney's trip, so other than the fact that it was kind of a pointless episode, who cares.

• Love 3

{Late to the party...still catching up on Hulu}

That Executive Producer who said, "I don't know what to do" should be ashamed of himself. Part of his job is to create crisis plans (or get MTV's PR agency to do it).  When I worked in PR, I had to do several of them for clients. A show all about dealing with catfishy liars doesn't have a crisis plan re: getting double-crossed?  

An Executive Producer thinks the best plan is to spend more of MTV's money and willingly get played by two slobs who want a free trip?  Who gives a crap if "they might be in love"?  Also, count me as someone who doesn't care that Whitney works and supports her mother and brothers (who may very well be able-bodied and capable of employment).  All working people have various responsibilities -- but it's not right to scam others for frivolous things.

I do understand why previous comments conveyed somewhat strong opinions about Whitney's/her family's financial situation. This entire episode hinged upon two people with limited incomes taking advantage of a system via lies and deceit...and their so-called consequence was actually a hefty reward.  As a society, we aren't meant to be comfortable when swindlers win, whether they are rich or poor. It's a shame that this episode aired.

• Love 2

That Executive Producer who said, "I don't know what to do" should be ashamed of himself. Part of his job is to create crisis plans (or get MTV's PR agency to do it).

The title of Executive Producer doesn't always mean much. The stars of a successful show can have that title.

• Love 2

this episode literally pisses me off ! 

nev and max bring them together when they skype after bre was flying out to whitney the week after and whitney flying out to bre a month after that??? are you serious all they kept saying was how catfish was the only way they could meet smfh 

• Love 2