Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E25: Top Six Perform

• Start Topic

Quentin can go kick rocks.  He says it sucks because his two "friends" are in the bottom two?  He is so pretentious and precious and "artistic" now that he just gets on my nerves.  I liked him in the beginning but I'm ready for him to leave next week, and I think he will. 

Watching Rayvon singing for his life now.  Again.

• Love 12

Round #1:
Tyanna – Cute, good vocal. Felt meh about that song; it's simply dated.
Clark – If I never hear that song on Idol again, I'll be okay. But it was a good performance.
JAX – That was actually better than I thought it would be based on the song choice. Good for her.
Nick – That was easily his best performance in the finals by far. But he still should've been in the bottom two.
Quentin – I thought it was excellent overall: good performance, good vocal, great stage presence. What the heck, Harry? (For the record, I thought Quentin and Harry were both idiots in that exchange afterward, but Harry should know better.)
Joey – Not her greatest, but still absolutely lovely. It felt a little rushed. Stupid J. Lo.
Rayvon – Cheese. Pure Velveeta. The dancing was so distracting. Some semi-finalists many seasons ago did the same thing: wasted good vocals on a drunk wedding performance.

Sidenote: How can the song choice be picked on tonight? I thought they didn't choose the songs!

Round #2:
Clark – Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. HOW was that not "LANGUID" J. Lo??? Oh right, Clark's hot and got an XY chromosome. Now Clark's the "only musician left??" With Quentin, Joey, and Nick still there?? Wow.
Tyanna – There we go. That's what she's been missing! Excellent.
Nick – I didn't particularly like the phrasing lyrically, but he was solid vocally and showed more energy. He really had a pretty good night overall. Only took him 10 weeks to settle in.
Quentin – There pitch issues right in the beginning. I noticed he took his ear monitor out in the middle of the song. He got better towards the end.
JAX – That was… dumb. Did American throw her under the bus with that one or what? Could've been worse, but that song choice was never going anywhere important.
Rayvon – Great vocal, undeniable. But he isn't really evolving.
Joey – I love the little folky country thing she did with it. That was totally her.

Not surprised that the big note kept Rayvon. He's so freaking boring. Oh well, at least I don't have to vote anymore, my horse in the race is gone!

• Love 2

Rayvon sounded absolutely gorgeous on "Always On My Mind." Too bad Quentin just sealed his fate. He's the only contestant other than Rayvon I like this year, and now he'll definitely be going in the next two weeks. I enjoyed both of his performances, particularly "The Sound of Silence."

I believe Tyanna's performance of "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" was the first I've really ever liked from her.

• Love 3

What Quentin said wasn't so outlandish, but what made it so WTF uncomfortable was walking over to Harry, in a sort of "where is he going?"and "what is he doing?" kind of way. I know he's got the laid-back hippie vibe, but I agreed with Ryan when he said he thought he was going to hit him! And his "thank you for letting me clarify" was dripping with contempt. The whole thing was kind of menacing. It was so weird!

• Love 8

I'm sad Joey is gone and boring Rayvon is STILL there. How many more times does he need to end up in the bottom before he's finally donezo?

I understood Quentin's feelings regarding his friends being in the bottom, but he really lost control of that whole situation and things just got awkward. That may have just been his ticket home. But at least he made sure to clear things up and apologize.

I was surprised Harry made reference to the fact the contestants get paid. I don't think it's a big secret, but it's usually never mentioned.

I didn't think JAX did her best tonight, she got really bad choices, but she brought the stage presence and entertainment. Despite what other people think, whether she wins or not, I think she'll be the most successful contestant to come out of this season, I can totally envision her in a Paramore type setting.

Tyanna is back. With Joey gone, I'm hoping for a JAX vs Tyanna finale. I'd even be ok with a Tyanna vs Clark finale. It's ridiculous that out of 6 people, only 2 girls are left. The guys overall stink or are boring.

Nick had his best night tonight I think. And Clark brought a little more "swag" in his first song. By the way, I'm pretty sure he wore that shirt and tie in a previous performance, yet JLo acted like it was all her idea. LOL Moon River was actually gorgeous.

I wish Joey's songs had been reversed. Up against Rayvon, Somebody To Love really paled in comparison. Rayvon skates by again. Sigh.

For top 5 I'm hoping: JAX, Tyanna, and Clark. The last 2 spots I don't care. Rayvon is the best technical singer left but boring. Nick has an average voice but when he picks the right songs he's not too bad and he's from my home state so I guess it would be cool to see someone from CT make top 5. Quentin is the most interesting of the 3, but I've never cared for him much.

• Love 1

Ryan says that coming up is a Tina Turner song, and the chyron says "Proud Mary" by Creedance Clearwater Revival. Good job, show.

Although, I would have loved if Tyanna sang the CCR version instead of Tina's, just for something different. Also, I though both of her songs sounded exactly the same.

Rayvon's joy and sunny disposition are really growing on me.

• Love 3

As of tonight, I will say that Jax is totally being indulged and it's gotta stop. Beat It blew and the first song was way to breathy in the non-chorus part.

Quentin's silver outfit was perfection, loved it.  I wish he was a trained singer, he is off key way too much.  He's B2 next week, america doesn't like petulance and seeming ingratitude.

Best that Nick ever did.  Way best of the night. Surprised me.

Worst of the night is (boring) Golden Boi Clark.  That would be interesting if he is B2 next week it might shake him up a bit.  Too straightlaced.

Tyanna's first song made me sure she would go home, the 2nd song was pure joy.  Why can't she hook into that all the time.  Finally some clothes that are a tiny bit sexy.  After all she does have a nice figure.

After the nuclear winter, it will be the roaches and Rayvon left.  Good band name: Rayvon and the Roaches.

Joey out crabbed all of New England, Maryland and even the Dungeness areas of Washington and Oregon.  A giant crab-handed finale. 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3

I was surprised Harry made reference to the fact the contestants get paid. I don't think it's a big secret, but it's usually never mentioned.

I missed it. What did he say? (Or how are they paid? I always figured their living expenses were taken care of, but I didn't know they were paid).

Quentin and Harry were both idiots in that exchange afterward, but Harry should know better.

I agree. Quentin is 21 and obviously immature and not used to curbing his emotions. I can't understand why Harry chose to make an example of him. I thought it was really without class.

• Love 11

I agree. Quentin is 21 and obviously immature and not used to curbing his emotions. I can't understand why Harry chose to make an example of him. I thought it was really without class.

I thought it was crystal clear that Quentin was hurting for his friends and not being dismissive of the process itself, or of the opportunities it's given all of them. I'm rarely in the "Harry is an ass" camp as I usually think his critiques are pretty darn on point, but this missed by a mile.

Other thoughts:

- Moon River needs to be retired forever, and it really pointed out the weaknesses of Clark's vocals.

- Will not miss Joey at all. I think the lack of emotion in My Funny Valentine (and I do agree it was lacking) can be chalked up to her concentrating on her vocal tics and intentionally awkward phrasing to the exclusion of connecting with the lyrics or the audience. The "I'm so ironic" eyerolls were back in the second song. 

- Nick was surprisingly good in both numbers. I don't think he'll win, but he is the kind of performer the show can sell: nice looking, decent singer, no real individual style. For his debut album, they can throw him whatever songs they have lying around, try and mold him into whatever they think he should be, and hope for the best.

- Quentin should probably consider modeling while he's learning how to hit all the notes, not just some. He's striking looking and wears the hell out of the most outrageous stuff.

- Nice to see Tyanna getting back to herself again.

- Jax lacks the voice and gravitas to sing Piece of My Heart. It was breathy and whiny, and should be neither. For Beat It, I'll give her the Qassim Middleton Award for Running Around the Stage While Singing No Better Than Your Average Joe.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 7

I hated the whole exchange with Quentin. He was standing there looking like he was about to cry, and Ryan pushes him to talk (I know it's his job.....). He was clearly emotional, and not at his most eloquent. Harry was out of line. He deliberately goaded a young man that was already clearly upset on live tv by calling him ungrateful and basically telling him to quit. He could have addressed it after the show or during the break. Glad Quentin got a chance to clarify and he did it gracefully. If he had any "contempt" in his voice towards Harry, rightfully so. Harry drove the bus over him on live tv. His fate is sealed.

• Love 19

I am an unabashed HCJ lover from way back in the day so take this for what it is worth:

I rewound it and Harry said Idol is paying a lot of money for quentin to be there. Yes I think they pay the contestants, but between hotels, meals, costumes, mentors, judges, host, production, band there is a lot of money spent.

I think Harry thinks of the contestants as kids that he needs to parent or coach. At the end of the day if Quentin wants to win they all have to go. That is supposedly what he signed up for. Harry is (IMO, rightfully) ticked that Quentin has been given this amazing opportunity and then biting the hand that feeds him. He is not talented enough to act this way. Better Harry say this now then he get out in the real music world with this attitude. No one will work with him.

Imagine if it was your petulant teenager acting this way. I can see myself, and have said, " If you think it's so unfair then quit. But you better appreciate what has been done to get you here". Harry feels he was hired to help these contestants become successful artists. Thus he feels it acceptable to call them out, when they are acting in a detrimental way.

Initially, Harry thought they were at commercial. He was ok with them Live, but I think he would have called Quentin out even at commercial and we would never have known.

• Love 11

As uncomfortable as the situation was Quentin knew going in that this is an elimination competition show - that one person is eliminated every week and in the end there can be only one winner. I understand emotions getting the best of you but there is a difference between being upset for your friend and the way he acted. He is 21, not 12 and expecting him to act in a professional manner while on stage is not too much to ask. He did not do that.

That being said, and I say this as a Harry fan, Harry was not any better. Harry also let his emotions get the better of him. It seemed like he felt that Quentin was disrespecting the show and instead of taking a moment to calm himself and think about what he wanted to say, reacted.

Neither was right, neither was wrong but it was damn uncomfortable to watch. As always, YMMV.

• Love 4

I missed it. What did he say? (Or how are they paid? I always figured their living expenses were taken care of, but I didn't know they were paid).

Don't remember verbatim but he said something along the lines of "The show pays a lot of money to give you this experience" or something like that. He could have meant it as meaning production costs, but the contestants are also paid weekly to be in the show.

Mannnnnn of all the nights I had to miss American Idol because of work and couldn't see Q school Harry live in real time....I am sad. Lol. Watching it back, it was awkward and hilarious and cringe worthy. But I can't say Q didn't stand his ground! Harry and Ryan totally prodded that one out of him. 

Well, I may be a cult of one, but I agreed with Harry. In fact, if I had been Harry, I would have put Quentin on the spot and asked, "Okay, so of the contestants who are left, who do you think SHOULD be in the bottom two?" This is how the show frikkin' works. Someone goes home every week (unless the judges stupidly use The Save on Qaasim). It reminds me of the Simon/Paula/Randy days when the judges would remind the viewers that they have to vote or their favorite will go home, as if it were possible to save EVERYONE if only people voted. Someone goes home. If it's not Joey, it's someone else that many people would be upset to see voted off. Quentin was way out of line, and I thought it was interesting that when Harry made his statement, I didn't hear a lot of boos from the audience, even though they're prone to boo if a judge simply says the performance wasn't the best.

I thought for sure this would be Rayvon's week to go, but man, he even won me over with that stunning performance of "Always On My Mind." I hadn't been that impressed with him up until now but he really proved he could sing with that one. I was glad he survived yet another Twitter Save.

• Love 13

And it's not like any of this on the show is out of the sheer goodness of their hearts. They want a hit, the judges want money, the mentors want exposure, the singers want fame... Harry had no business being huffy on behalf of everyone not the singers, and Quentin should have been upset more quietly, instead of both of them blowing up at each other.

• Love 4

Harry made 2 gaffes tonight. First he completely misinterpreted Quentin's statement and really let him have it live on the air. I'm not sure how he could have interpreted what he said as being a dig at the show. He really just made himself look stupid. Sometimes I think Harry believes he knows it all and he thought he was being smart with Quentin here, then once he realized he had backed himself into a corner, he didn't know what to do. Did he even apologize to Quentin for the misunderstanding?

Gaffe #2 was erroneously calling Clark the only musician in the competition, cut to Nick smirking like he knows what a joke that is. Harry makes good critiques sometimes, but honestly he acts like such a damn know it all sometimes. He always has something or someone to pick on, his critique of Clark was the first time I heard him say he had no critique. And his stupid pompous rules of how he never stands or applauds for contestants. He really shows so much indirect disrespect towards the other judges as well as the contestants. I bet in his mind he thinks he's better than all of them. He's far too arrogant to remain a judge on this show.

• Love 13

I also heard, and correct me if I'm wrong since I didn't get to watch the episode, that Harry basically told Clark he's the only true musician left in the competition? That's so shitty to say that in front of all the other contestants....when some do play instruments as well? :/

• Love 9

Every time Nick is called up to sing, I have the same reaction: "Who's that? Oh, him. Huh. Someone should tell him that those sculpted top-of-the-head hair-dos make him look like a long-faced forty-year-old." Then he starts singing, I get bored and go back to doing something else until he's done.

• Love 5

"Paying a lot of money..." include the cost of using the songs and the band, stage, lots of things--contestants fees, not so much.

Thin voices in this bunch.  Jax had no chance with Janis Joplin, and "Beat It", Clark got trampled by the band in "Superstitious", and came up a bit light on "Moon River"', Tyanna had enough power, Quentin...he plain stunk tonight, Nick--did they get a pinch-singer for him?  This Nick is much improved over the Nick who used to perform on this show, Joey--she blew it! "My funny Valentine" should have been "a moment" for her, she just doesn't have the voice. Rayvon clobbered her in the head-to-head.

Bottom two:  Quentin (too easy)--and the shock--not Rayvon!  I'm betting on not Rayvon!  to win the Twitter vote.

• Love 1

Personally, I think Harry Connick, Jr. has always been self-important and annoying on this show with his gotcha comments, nitpicking, and pretentious explanations of basic terms. I actually thought he would be a good judge back when he argued with Randy Jackson during the Mariah-Nicki year, but he's worse, if possible. I thought it was rude of HCJ to do that, period, but especially knowing how much the judges' comments manipulate the outcome. He cut any chance Quentin might've had in this competition. It was up there with Jennifer Lopez's worst moments on this show, if not beyond.

Incidentally, the Randy v. Harry moment happened when Amber Holcomb had given a superb version of "My Funny Valentine," imo, which Joey completely flubbed.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

At first, I was upset that Joey lost the Eastern Time Zone/Central Time Zone Twitter save, but thinking about it, her inconsistency killed her. For every "Mad World," there were the horrific "Wrecking Ball" and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." If you are going to be quirky, you have to consistent as well. Joey wasn't. Plus, Rayvon sang a mainstream song beautifully in his Twitter save song.

Quentin just sing. This isn't Big Brother or Survivor. You can't make alliances. Someone has to go home. And for him to name Joey as his best friend, while Rayvon is still sitting there showed his immaturity. Yes, he's good singer, but for goodness sake, I don't think Tyanna would've pouted over this. How does this make the other contestants who aren't his "friends" feel? After all, wasn't Quentin a wild card to begin with? He's still there because of Harry, JLo, and Keith. Good singer, lousy person.

As for Harry, and I can't believe I am saying this, he was right. Quentin is fortunate to still be in this competition. Ask others who have left early who had as much potential, but would slap a close relative on the face to be back in this competition.

Most consistent performer tonight? Nick hands down.

Performer that can leave my screen immediately? I used to call her Jaxative, but now I'm changing her name to LAX because she LACKS ORIGINALITY. Not only that, WTF was that interpretation of "Beat It?" A part of me hoped that Michael Jackson would rise from his perennial hyperbolic chamber and slap her silly with his non-gloved hand. As "Piece of My Heart," I'll listen to Duffy's version on my iPod because that was closest to Janis Joplin that I have heard.

Clark and Tyanna were both good and meh with their performances. 

Edited by Nedsdag
  • Love 3

Simon was the only judge who seemed to always remember that the show is a competition. Mindful of this, he always gave his critiques comparing the contestants to each other, and thus got tagged as the "mean judge." Ridiculous. Year after year, the same thing always happens - the contestants are all pretty young, they live together and get really close, but they get all weepy when one is eliminated even though it's a competition, and knocking off the others is the way to win! So I understand where Harry was coming from, I just think he came on way too strong.

I can understand Quentin's point of view though. I auditioned for The Voice over the summer and found myself rooting for everyone in my group, even though they were all my competition, I wanted to see somebody from my group make it, even if I didn't. And that was just the cattle call. I can't imagine what that bond would be like at top 6. You find yourself rooting for the others because they're chasing a dream just like you are. That's why you can't bring yourself to feel like it's this slit throat competition. So I understand Quentin's feelings regarding that. IMO both him and Harry did not express themselves in the best way tonight.

• Love 2

Funny, I heard it the way Harry did (disrespectful) and my 14 year old heard it the way Quentin said he meant it, just felt bad for his friends.  

We voted for what songs they would be singing?  When did we do that, and how, and where was it advertised?

No special guest mentor this week, hm?

Tyanna was good.

Yay, Clark. Damn, he's good.

Boo, Jax. Why was she waving a flag in the air?  So she describes her music as nothing in particular?  Her singing Janis was blasphemous.

Did that commercial after less than half an hour say "The polls are open"?  Really?  Before the end of the show?

Nick was okay.

Rayvon in the bottom two yet again.  The voters are telling you something, AI, listen to them.

I hate the Twitter save, since we on the West Coast are discriminated against.

Quentin looked like Lenny Kravitz, but he sure didn't sound like him.  Not good at all. Harry was right, And Quentin was being a little punk.  Yay Harry.

I complained to AI that the twitter save was unfair to the West Coast, and they replied back to me that I should watch the live feed on the Web.  I'm sure Fox is happy with that response.

Joey wasn't very good.  Her weakest performance.  It's too bad she had to save it for this time.

Rayvon was pretty bad, too.

Clark is so classic.  Everything he does is great.

Tyanna is no Tina Turner, but she was okay. Didn't like the last note.

Nick was really good with his second song.

Why does Quentin have the snot-looking nose ring?  His Sounds of Silence was actually good.

Gee, Jax's "Beat It" was actually good.

Rayvon's second song was really good.

Joey was not very good again, unfortunately.

The only people I care about now are Clark, Nick and Tyanna.

• Love 2

I found Quentin's outburst really annoying, but particularly because it was accompanied by his sullen, hostile facial expression. "This is wack" because two of his friends were facing elimination? I really couldn't blame Harry for pointing out that it's not "wack", it's the rules of the game--someone gets eliminated every week. At this point, presumably all 7 are very good so America choosing one over another really isn't (a) a shock or (b) a reflection on their talent.

I thought Harry was perfectly fine to remind him of that. (Though I didn't take the "Idol pays a lot for you to be here" as a comment on "contestant pay" as much as "production costs").

I didn't think J-Lo was wrong later, either. I thought she was trying to support Harry's point while reminding people what a wonderful and caring person (in her opinion) Quentin is. Nice try, even though it didn't really work for me. I'm tired of marginally talented kids with big time egos.

Re Quentin's look? Yes, I think he looked fantastic, definitely should consider modeling.

Re: Quentin's singing? He was flat as flat could be on Sound of Silence. Then again, he was in good company as Joey and Clark were also SO flat tonight. Why? What's wrong with these guys that they can't stay on pitch? Or even in key? It is really, really strange.

• Love 5

As much as I am usually on HCJ's side, he was way out of line tonight. As was Ryan, for pushing Quentin when Quentin answered Ryan's first question by saying he was fine (can't remember his exact words) but Ryan would not leave it at that. Harry was out of line with his comments, and should have known better. I also like Quentin's answer to Ryan's also out of line comment that he thought Quentin was going to hit Harry "I was raised better than that". I hope the voters actually bring Quentin back because out of the three, he was the only one that showed class IMO. But had Ryan been astute enough to read Quentin and leave it alone when Quentin obviously did not want to go there, the mess would not have happened in the first place.

I am so tired of others getting put down for something and Jax getting praised for exactly the same thing. HCJ didn't like Quentin's first song as it sounded exactly like Lenny K.? I didn't know the song, and totally enjoyed Quentin's version. On the other hand, I hated Jax's karaoke version of Janis Joplin's song - I did not know the other version HCJ referred to and did not hear any difference from Joplin's.  Mind you I did ff past the last part as I was bored with it/her.

And Harry's comment that Clark is the only musician in the competition? Wow. Just wow.

Sad that Joey is going home, though so was outsung by Rayvon tonight. I will miss her, and her quirkiness. And her artistry.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 6

I loved the second mentoring session VTs. Scott Borchetta is 100000x a better mentor than Jimmy Iovine ever was on this show--he actually listens to these kids, seems to care about them, understands what makes each of them special, and just seems like a good all-around guy.

And all of their stories were very sweet.

• Love 4

I loved the second mentoring session VTs. Scott Borchetta is 100000x a better mentor than Jimmy Iovine ever was on this show--he actually listens to these kids, seems to care about them, understands what makes each of them special, and just seems like a good all-around guy.

And all of their stories were very sweet.

Thanks for the reminder about Borchetta. At first I had a poor impression of him, but he's really grown on me, along with the special (genuinely special) guest mentors each week. And, yes, Borchetta is so much better than Iovine (or, roflmao, Jackson). I hope they'll keep him on next season as well.

• Love 3

I found Quentin's outburst really annoying, but particularly because it was accompanied by his sullen, hostile facial expression. "This is wack" because two of his friends were facing elimination? I really couldn't blame Harry for pointing out that it's not "wack", it's the rules of the game--someone gets eliminated every week. At this point, presumably all 7 are very good so America choosing one over another really isn't (a) a shock or (b) a reflection on their talent.

I agree.  If Q had just prefaced his comments with "I'm happy to be moving on, BUT .... I'm sad at the prospect of one of my friends leaving the show,"  He would have been fine -  talking about the process, and how hard it is to see good singers, and good friends, get eliminated.   Starting with "this sucks"  and "this whole thing is wack" was just not the right way to express it.  Saying it sucks that people go home, no matter what Q says, IS disrespecting the competition.  The premise is that you want to WIN, and WINNING means everyone else, one by one, going home.  If that is wack, then you're on the wrong show. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 9

I'm with Quentin on this one. Nothing wrong with his initial comments, he was genuinely sad for his friend (another consequence of the dumb "results and performance" merged format).

The judges' table is such a hot mess sometimes. I cringed when J-Lo randomly yelled out "I love you baby" during the silence, and even more when HCJ came out with that ish. It was totally uncalled for. Quentin could have responded from the stools instead of walking over, but what he said in response was EXACTLY what I would have said. Kudos to him for thinking of that on the spot and calmly shutting down HCJ's nonsense. I'll bet Keith would have said something similar if Quentin hadn't.

The whole incident reflected well on Joey too. People must really like her personally. This season was definitely better with her being part of it.

• Love 5

Wow -  I thought Quentin's "Sounds of Silence"  was pretty bad.   and the judges walked on eggshells to not tell him so.

JLo calls him sweetie, says he has a good heart and talks about him putting his heart "out there first".

Harry says he took the time to interpret the lyrics, reminds him to focus on pitch, which is "part of being a singer", you know, singing  IN TUNE (duh) .

Keith says he loves the way he conceptualizes the performances, and "whether you nail it or not, I love what you're going for, so I commend you on that."  

WTF?  are those just the nicest ways possible to say Nice try, but it sucked?  

It actually makes me miss the judging panel that would have said "absolutely awful"  and "that was pitchy, dawg." 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 9

Quentin: WOW. I thought until now that he was this happy, positive person, but the mask was dropped. I don't think he could win in a sing-off now against anyone left. Even if he comes in next to last for this week, he's done. That was the most uncomfortable thing I have seen on television since the "Chicago sunroof" monologue on Better Call Saul. 

• Love 5

HCJ eviscerating Q is easily my favorite AI moment this season!   If you don't like the B2, LEAVE!  I am so beyond sick to death over empty protestations.  If you have the means to fix a situation, fix it.  Don't affect anger.  Don't posture!  Take care of it.  Of course, the entitlement and delusions of AI wannabes has always been epic.  One of the reasons I adore Adam is that he always, always, always respected the process.  He never once complained that he was an outlier in popularity and would never win.  Instead, he ran like a madman to show out.  He only saw opportunity.

Ironically, I thought Q's first performance was the best of the night.  I bought his arrogance and ferocity.  Fully.  His use of the stage and his poses were excellent, if not superb.  I tried and tried to dismiss him as he was performing, but I just could not.  I saw an honest to goodness professional performer.   And then he forgot himself and defecated on everything.  

I never thought Joey would make it to the Top 5.  She went out on a darn good performance last week.  I hope she carves out a nice career.  

Clark showed us once again why he is not ready for primetime.  The problem is that he is the most ready of the remainders.  Moon River is something he ought to be able to perform in his sleep.  It was all set up for him to establish himself as a real dreamboat.  He could just stare into the camera with sincere eyes and a sad tune.  This would have cemented, in my opinion, his win.  Instead, he was deathly afraid of making a mistake and unsure of himself.  His eyes darted down and sideways, which thoroughly broke the mood and scene he wanted to establish.

I will say that overall, this was the best quality group of of performances this season.  It is no coincidence that the quality of the songs was superior, by orders of magnitude, over anything we've seen these past few weeks.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 6

I guess I'm the only one who saw the show differently tonight.  I saw Quentin come on, sing his Lenny Kravitz as edgy as he could, then walk over to get judged.  He had the sullen face he uses a lot, but then he broke out in a smile and J.Lo quickly commented how great his face looked smiling, where he kept smiling big and nodded.  (no mention of his friends who had to leave yet, or no sad looks toward them)  THEN the judges all gave him not the greatest critiques of his performance and his stone face comes back.  After the judging he looked hacked off and Ryan asked him what was wrong and he made a disgusted face and stated,'' This is wack".  (my words may not be the same but the meaning is)  Ryan pressed him on what was wack and Q looked at the judges and hesitiated, making another comment like he was actually directing it at the judges comments ON HIS PERFORMANCE.  But then he quickly gave his tale about it's wack his friend will be going home, while still shooting daggers at the judges.  Ryan finally let him leave the stage and that's when Harry spoke up about how Q knew it was a competition and he should be happy to be apart of it.  I think Harry saw that Quentin was upset at the critique more than his friends leaving and used that cover story to give an excuse for his actions.  That's how I saw it anyway.  I know they all get close on the show,but in this case it looked like Quentin was smiling just after his performance, then sullen after the judges critiques, too immature to not smart back at them, then covered it up by blaming his remarks on losing a friend.  Is it just me who saw it this way?!  I seem to be in the very minority after reading the messages posted :(

• Love 13

One of the reasons I adore Adam is that he always, always, always respected the process. He never once complained that he was an outlier in popularity and would never win. Instead, he ran like a madman to show out. He only saw opportunity.

That's so funny because I thought of Adam, too, after this thing with Quentin unfolded. He just got it - every aspect of the show, esp. the competition aspect. I remember he got dissed once when Ryan asked him which of the bottom three contestants should go home (he was one of them), and he answered. The nerve! (I forgot who he named, but not himself!). Some dum dums were mad that he didn't do what everyone else did - say "it's not my decision," or "this is so hard! I can't chose!"

Maybe Quentin was pissed because he just found out the tour will only be the top five this year, and now his bff Joey won't be on it with him. Top five? That seems like such a small tour for such a big show. I've been saying it since the beginning of the season - this show is done.

• Love 6

Top five? That seems like such a small tour for such a big show. I've been saying it since the beginning of the season - this show is done.

I was saying that in the Candice/Kree year (first time I just KNEW that no matter who won, I'd never hear them again unless it was an Idol alum visit), but has anything gone right since 2010? Simon leaving, Ellen, Iovine, Tyler, Nicki and Mariah, Prosciutto or whatever his name is, lighted chairs, judges' save, Twitter save, smaller tour...this show is a last-decade phenomenon, for sure. 

Quentin is still going tonight. He told People magazine that he knows he can leave anytime, and Harry Connick Jr. can leave too if he doesn't like it. I repeat: WOW!

• Love 3