Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: There Is My Heart

Intent on making their relationship work, Bay surprises Emmett with a visit to Los Angeles while he’s shooting his first big class project. Daphne is distraught with her performance in school and the idea of letting Bay and her family down. Kathryn and Toby get the chance to have their musical produced. Meanwhile, Regina is shocked by Eric’s reaction to a buyout offer on the coffeeshop.

"Deaf Colin Firth". Heh.

CUT YOUR HAIR TOBY OH MY GOD.

The actress who plays Natalie tweeted that the hospital scene with her was based on something she actually went through at a hospital last year. Scary.

I wish they wouldn't try to make hashtags a thing on these ABCFamily shows.

Vanessa was heartbreaking in that scene with Emmett. She is such a good actor. I want a tv show where she and Maia Mitchell fight crime and solve mysteries.

OH MINGO NO

I can't believe it. We were this close to having Daphne drop the stupid pre-med thing. I was sure she was going to decide to be a medical interpreter, what with her amazing lipreading skills and familiarity with medical terms.

Regina was really cute with the "stupid in love" comment.

So, now we wait. And wait. 

• Love 6

So, now we wait. And wait. 

Wait, this was the finale?

Poor Bay.  But honestly, I think this episode killed any ebay shipper left in me.  I'm with Bay, he ended it and now it's done. Forever.  I don't even think it is so terrible that Emmet wants to focus on school, but I don't want him and Bay back together now.  I do think it sucks that he put something so personal for Bay in his movie.  I know writers draw from real life experience but this was pretty recent and painful for everyone.

• Love 5

I can't believe it. We were this close to having Daphne drop the stupid pre-med thing. I was sure she was going to decide to be a medical interpreter, what with her amazing lipreading skills and familiarity with medical terms.

Same here. I guess they realized that the magic lipreading can't go as far as her actually working as an interpreter, though.

Well, that's it. I've given this show leeway and the benefit of the doubt for long enough. I'm done.

It's just such a shame. SAB started out with an interesting premise, but then devolved into what it is now.

• Love 5

Toby needs to stop finding other people to blame for his problems, I don't know why he's become such a punk lately.

I enjoyed the Regina/John scene. He had this "What the hell did I just walk into?" face the whole time which was hilarious. It's great that she feels comfortable discussing her guy problems while he's not as much of a judgemental jerk. They've come a long way....in just 3-4 short years.

I like Daphne when she's around her deaf crew, she comes off more natural and easy going like Season 1 Daphne, plus they're a better influence on her. Failing one class isn't the end of the world. Having a felony on your record wouldn't get her into medical school either, but she's still trying anyway so I don't get what she was whining about. I would have been fine with her deciding to become a medical interpreter but I think she needs to drop the charade and go back to her real passion: cooking!

I'm not surprised by Bay's fall out with Emmett, it was inevitable and doomed to fail no matter the circumstances. He was being realistic about wanting to put his career first and she was clinging to the hope that her living there would solve things. Who includes their first film project on his girlfriend's traumatic experience? Emmett reached a new low that cannot be redeemed from that; he hadn't since he cheated but people insisted his actions are "redeemable" for whatever reason and their relationship has always been toxic since. After he said he didn't want her to move there that should've been a done deal and I wouldn't have looked back. She nearly made the same mistake with Ty and look how that turned out.

I've been waiting for Bay to move on for ages! She doesn't need him, nor does she need to move halfway across the country just to live his dream and put her life on hold for anyone any longer. Selfish guys will never make you a priority. I want all this anger, hatred, hurt, and resentment to be thrown into her art so hardcore that it gives her the success and empowerment she needs to give a giant middle finger right back at Emmett.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 12

Oh God please make this eBay breakup stick. I can't deal anymore with their stupid fights and Emmett's pouty face. Emmett is an emo, whiny, selfish piece of crap and Bay will be so much better off without him. He can refer to himself as an artist (hahahaha) all he wants in California, alone.

Toby's hair was just...inexplicable.

Didn't Iris go to the pizza place with Natalie and Travis? I didn't hear a peep about her. Oh well, not important - the important thing is that Daphne had an epiphany about medical school and being a deaf doctor and blah blah blahhhh.

• Love 6

Has Bay actually ever expressed that she cares at all whether Daphne becomes a doctor or not? And Daphne at the end asking Bay whether she had anything to do with the break up and then saying "we'll get through this together". Hey Daphne, how about letting something not be about you for once. Please.

Good riddance Emmett.

Edited by heythere
  • Love 2

I originally loved Bay with Emmett but after this? Good riddence. He wasn't wrong in what he said. He should be able to enjoy school and she needs to find something for herself instead of falling into others's problems or wanting to "fix" everyone. But the way he said it? Damn, cold as hell. He didn't shed a tear or even offer a hug. Just Nope, I'm good, bye now. Daphne's life is still great though so there's that. I was worried for a second she wouldn't get what she wanted. Regina's on a whole different show. She's shown more interest in her boyfriend's kid then she ever did with Bay or even Abby. Toby let his horrible hair turn him into a immature, entitled jerk so that's... Something. I think whenever it comes back the show would be better served by a time jump. Maybe to graduation from college or med school or something. Then she'd be a doctor and our long national nightmare would be over.

Edited by t7686
  • Love 5

Didn't Iris go to the pizza place with Natalie and Travis? I didn't hear a peep about her. Oh well, not important - the important thing is that Daphne had an epiphany about medical school and being a deaf doctor and blah blah blahhhh.

No, she went to the bonfire.

• Love 2

I'm not a relationship expert or anything, but don't relationships take work? That's what I've heard. Emmett is going to have plenty of failed relationships in his future with this whole "it should just work without even trying" school of thought.

Was it a deliberate acting/directing choice to have Emmett look at Bay with a smug expression on his face while she's crying her heart out in a really raw way? That was so offputting. That was the moment when I'm finally done with him.

Ugh, I just want something good to happen for Bay!

I'm getting the vibe that Mingus is the show trying to recreate the Daphne/Wilke magic. It was sort of like he's trying to do a Wilke impression this episode. But Daphne is not the same girl she was in the beginning. I was kind of annoyed at the way she got all pissy at that doctor. It's not the doctor's fault the hospital doesn't have an interpreter! Though couldn't someone have tracked down a pad of paper and a pencil or something and communicate with Natalie that way instead of just leaving her all confused?

• Love 6

Okay, Bay, that sucked for you, but now you can move to New York or Paris or Germany or wherever to focus on your art. Invite Toby to come with you on the condition that he gets a better hair cut. Then I can finally stop watching this show.

I'm getting the vibe that Mingus is the show trying to recreate the Daphne/Wilke magic. It was sort of like he's trying to do a Wilke impression this episode.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out why he seemed so familiar, and that's absolutely it. He's a Wilke knock off.

• Love 5

Yes, the crying was heartrending to me.  What I want for Bay now is to meet a nice, age-appropriate, great guy who wants to travel with her to Europe and be in all her paintings, so she becomes outrageously famous and rich. I have a soft spot for Emmett but yes, I wouldn't mind if he discovers that the only story he has in him is of the noble deaf boy who falls in love with a hearing girl who gets raped and then he has to dump her.

• Love 3

Mingo looks and sounds like a poor man's Ashton Kutcher to me and I hate him for it. Why is he still around? 

Vanessa was heartbreaking in that scene with Emmett. She is such a good actor. I want a tv show where she and Maia Mitchell fight crime and solve mysteries.

She's been great all season, but she really brought it in that scene. I never cared about EBay or whatever they're called but I felt Bay's heartbreak in that moment. 

I'm not surprised by Bay's fall out with Emmett, it was inevitable and doomed to fail no matter the circumstances. He was being realistic about wanting to put his career first and she was clinging to the hope that her living there would solve things. Who includes their first film project on his girlfriend's traumatic experience? Emmett reached a new low that cannot be redeemed from that; he hadn't since he cheated but people insisted his actions are "redeemable" for whatever reason and their relationship has always been toxic since. After he said he didn't want her to move there that should've been a done deal and I wouldn't have looked back. She nearly made the same mistake with Ty and look how that turned out.

I've been waiting for Bay to move on for ages! She doesn't need him, nor does she need to move halfway across the country just to live his dream and put her life on hold for anyone any longer. Selfish guys will never make you a priority. I want all this anger, hatred, hurt, and resentment to be thrown into her art so hardcore that it gives her the success and empowerment she needs to give a giant middle finger right back at Emmett.

I can't believe he exploited her assault for a stupid student film and she still wanted to make things work. Girl must be seriously damaged if she thinks that's how she deserves to be treated. And was he never going to tell her that he was using her trauma to get ahead at school? He actually told Skye that he didn't want Bay to see the ending because it was personal... yeah, personal for her and he apparently didn't think she deserved to know. What a shitty thing to do. I hope when the show comes back we find out that Emmett didn't go through with filming that ending because it's just so gross and there's no way to redeem a guy who does that to a girl he claimed to love. It's bad enough that he's the type of guy who blames his girlfriend for being sexually assaulted while drunk and breaks up with her for it, but now he's also the type of guy who uses her pain and humiliation for his own personal gain. He's the worst and while I always wanted Bay to move on because I felt like she outgrew Emmett a long time ago, now I hope she never even talks to him as a friend again. 

Yet again Bay gets shit upon and everything works out for Daphne. I wish I could quit this show.

For a second there I thought Daphne was going to be allowed to fail and discover she's just not very good at something, but nope, somehow her failing was turned into a victory. 

Has Bay actually ever expressed that she cares at all whether Daphne becomes a doctor or not? And Daphne at the end asking Bay whether she had anything to do with the break up and then saying "we'll get through this together". Hey Daphne, how about letting something not be about you for once. Please.

I was afraid Bay was going to go home and lash out at Daphne for ruining her relationship with Emmett so I was relieved when she shut Daphne's guilt down and just point blank said that it's not about Daphne and Emmett's just weak because I'm over Bay and Daphne fighting and actually really enjoy them being supportive of one another. But if I was Daphne, I  would definitely feel somewhat responsible for everything Bay's going through and it would take a little more than Bay saying so to convince me otherwise. Had Daphne not gone all crazy and melodramatic and become a repeat felon, Bay would have gone to LA right away. She wouldn't have been at the party where she was assaulted by her ex and she and Emmett would have never been fighting over Tank or distance or whatever. Their relationship probably would have eventually failed anyway because Bay was right that Emmett is weak (he's also selfish, whiney and emotionally manipulative), but at least she wouldn't have a film being made about her rape by her dick of an ex-boyfriend.  

I'm not a relationship expert or anything, but don't relationships take work? That's what I've heard. Emmett is going to have plenty of failed relationships in his future with this whole "it should just work without even trying" school of thought.

Was it a deliberate acting/directing choice to have Emmett look at Bay with a smug expression on his face while she's crying her heart out in a really raw way? That was so offputting. That was the moment when I'm finally done with him.

That we shouldn't have to try line from Emmett was complete and utter bullshit and just goes to show how much of a little boy he is. Adults work at their relationships, that's just how it is. It shouldn't be hard all the time but it's not easy either and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have what it takes to be in one. 

I don't know if that was deliberate or just a result of the actors operating at different levels but I found him really off-putting in that scene too. Bay looked like her world was literally ending and Emmett looked like he had better things to do. Like show some emotion, bro and maybe comfort her for a sec. 

Yes, the crying was heartrending to me.  What I want for Bay now is to meet a nice, age-appropriate, great guy who wants to travel with her to Europe and be in all her paintings, so she becomes outrageously famous and rich. I have a soft spot for Emmett but yes, I wouldn't mind if he discovers that the only story he has in him is of the noble deaf boy who falls in love with a hearing girl who gets raped and then he has to dump her.

Bay's probably just going to end up going to school with Daphne because the show will probably want to keep the characters together but I hope they at least allow her to continue to do her art and maybe excel at something without experiencing any trauma or heartbreak for at least half a season. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 5

Mingo looks and sounds like a poor man's Ashton Kutcher to me and I hate him for it.

I thought so too! I even went and looked him up to see if he was his little brother or something. What I did find was that he was in The Brittany Murphy Story, where he played...Ashton Kutcher. :D

Yes, definitely. Sure, if it's only work all the time then something is wrong, but "it should just...work"? Sorry Emmett, you're in for a rough ride. It was all so weird. Of course, he moved away and moved on from Bay - that's what high schoolers do when they go to college. It's a tale as old as... colleges. It probably would have happened even with Bay there and without the Tank thing, it just would have taken longer. And he was just so callous about it, it seemed entirely out of character. 

Kind of OT, but as a counterpoint to the horrible (true to life) scene in the hospital where nobody even tried to communicate with Natalie, this was in the news yesterday. For a commercial to advertise for their deaf assistance program, Samsung went to a neighborhood where a deaf man lives and taught everyone on his daily route enough sign language to do their basic interactions with him. Then they filmed him going about his errands and having everyone suddenly sign to him. Not gonna lie, it made me cry a little, especially after that scene in the show.

Let's see what our girls have learned this season. 

Daphne learned:

You can retake a class if you do poorly in it.

You can redo tests that you failed if you cry to the teacher, even if she's never given that chance to anyone else.

If you meet a jerk who acts like a jerk and tells you he's a jerk, you can love/badger him into becoming a good supportive friend.

If you go to an illegal dorm kegger, you will face no repercussions from it at all. 

If you stupidly hand a criminal evidence that he will use to blackmail you that could send you to jail, someone you just met will put his own reputation, his relationship with your mother, and possibly his life on the line to save you.

If you meet a guy who refuses to invest several hours a week helping you through a class because it's an emotionally damaging subject for him, you can whine until he says he'll do it anyway no matter how it affects him.

If you commit a felony, your sister will ruin her life taking the fall for you and your family will all think that's cool.

Bay learned:

If you don't live with your boyfriend, he will dump you.

If you date a guy who wants to make movies, he will make one about your most painful moments so everyone knows about it. And his new girlfriend will help him direct it.

If you do someone a favor and take them a sandwich, you will get 6 months of house arrest.

If you go to an illegal dorm kegger, you will get raped.

If you decide in a moment of panic to stupidly take the blame for something someone else did, nobody will try to talk you out of it, and everyone will call you a whiner if you even hint that the consequences kind of suck.

Yeah. Good job, show. Someone said it already, but it's like Daphne is Dorian Grey and Bay is the painting in the attic.

• Love 19

He's the worst and while I always wanted Bay to move on because I felt like she outgrew Emmett a long time ago, now I hope she never even talks to him as a friend again.

Bay looked like her world was literally ending and Emmett looked like he had better things to do. Like show some emotion, bro and maybe comfort her for a sec.

It almost felt like a PSA for high school romances: "Sometimes long distance relationships because people change? Don't take back a cheater?" Even if she had moved there, I suspect she'd have given up what she enjoys just to please him and watch him be such a great success while she's feeling insecure and others flock to him like a fly to honey (Angelo/Regina anyone?). Compare their breakup to Mary Beth and Travis's discussion and you can see who walks away with more respect.

In 4 short months, Emmett can go from "I need you in my life" to "Nah, I'm good. You'll just be here while I'm in class and I have to come home to you every night and I really need to focus."  I don't fault him for wanting to focus on school, but he could have handled it with a lot more tact than Bay deserved. He's never been that mature and both of them need to refocus, grow up and move on.  Bay has always clung to Emmett for convenience and vice versa. I don't doubt that the love was genuine but after he hurt her once, the second time should have been cemented with a swift swing to Emmett's jawline and I'd have completely been okay with that.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 1

I continually get taken out of the scene by the distraction of trying to figure out when this is taking place.  Is this the end of the first semester?  And, if so, in what alternate universe are students playing frisbee on the quad in Kansas City at that time of year?  

• Love 1

I haven't watched the episode yet but scanned the replies just so I know what I am getting into.  Anyway, the constant talk about Daphne being a felon and not getting into med school reminded me of an article I read a few years ago about a convicted murderer getting into law school. I wonder if Daphne's felony would really exclude her from ALL medical schools.

I feel a little like Emmett just got Joel-ed. (tm Parenthood) Mostly though, I cheered for Bay's "He is WEAK" and am curious to see what next (half of the?) season looks like. Do they keep Sean Berdy on the show in a regular role if he's off in LA shenaniganing it up with Skye? His storyline would be so separate...I can't see it working. Maybe if they gave Melody a major storyline or Travis suddenly remembered they were friends?

Toby = mess. I was glad Kathryn read him the riot act about acting like an adult to be treated like one. Too bad they got Guffman-ed. I'm glad she didn't lie to give him false hope though.

I too thought Daphne was going to realize she should become a medical interpreter instead. Sadly, no. Do we have to retake chemistry with her? I hope not.

Meh, I'd like next (half?) season to find a new direction in general. And maybe Travis could date Iris. I like Iris; More Iris!

• Love 4

I'm of two minds about it. Yes, relationships require compromise and willingness to change, etc. etc. But I also agree that good relationships don't require THAT much "work" or "trying". If you're constantly working on your relationship, maybe it's just not a good relationship to be in.

Sean Berdy has exactly three facial expressions - 1. smug 2. pouting 3. angry - so it was going to be one of those regardless of the context of the scene.

• Love 5

For me it was an underwhelming, disappointing mid-season end for a season that has been fairly underwhelming and disappointing. So, I'm not really surprised. Or mad. I'm just kind of over it. I think I am done too. And it's definitely not some shipper rebellion or anything. While Bay and Emmett have always been a big drawing point for me, the lackluster writing since 3B has turned me off. It's just gotten so redundant and predictable. I mean, Bay and Emmett drama? Check. Kathryn working on a project? Check. Toby having relationship issues? Check. Daphne bottoming out only to find herself at the top again? Check. Yeah, she failed a class, but has a guy and a renewed sense of confidence. Goodie. 

In the end, the whole Bay/Tank thing was ridiculous, too, and I knew it would be. Nothing more than Bay/Emmett relationship fodder really. And yeah, Emmett, it was shitty to use that in your student film. Really shitty. But whatever. 

I never thought I'd say this, but at this point, I hope they are done for good. There's no realistic way to fix this - in the time I think the show has left - without some last minute reunion that will feel cheap ala Luke/Lorelai and I really don't want that.

My only source for happiness would be something good happening to Bay, but with the show's penchant for torturing her, I'm sure that won't happen either. I'm already cringing thinking about what they'll throw at her next to be honest. 

• Love 1

The timeline of this show is so damn wonky. Did Daphne finish her first semester or first year of college? How long was Bay on house arrest and how long was her community service? Did it really take Kathryn and Toby months to work on a baseball musical?

The show really suffers because it's shot in California because they just can't get middle American weather/seasons correct. Shockingly Pretty Little Liars does a better job portraying Pennsylvania than SAB and they shoot in LA on the same lot/outdoor sets that Gilmore Girls used.

I wish it was mandatory for shows that have characters who go to school to have a timeline posted in their writers room so story points can be plotted out on the timeline.

• Love 1

The timeline of this show is so damn wonky. Did Daphne finish her first semester or first year of college? How long was Bay on house arrest and how long was her community service? Did it really take Kathryn and Toby months to work on a baseball musical?

This is the best I've got: Bay and Daphne graduated in May 2014. Bay took the fall for Daphne that same day. Emmett left for LA in early summer. Bay's house arrest and community service lasted throughout the summer and part of the fall, before she got off for good behavior. Daphne started college in the fall and has now finished her first semester. (She mentioned something this episode about it being the first time "in four months" that she can relax and not study.) So we're at December 2014 right now, i.e. when fall semesters end.

As far as the baseball musical, that crap should have taken about thirty minutes to write.

So we're at December 2014 right now, i.e. when fall semesters end.

Ah, yes, December in Kansas City.  A time for outdoor bonfires, lazy afternoons on the quad, and walking without coats to the local pizza place.  I know they film in California, but come on....at least a random comment about the cold, or a shot of someone putting on a coat would be nice.

• Love 5

This is the best I've got: Bay and Daphne graduated in May 2014. Bay took the fall for Daphne that same day. Emmett left for LA in early summer. Bay's house arrest and community service lasted throughout the summer and part of the fall, before she got off for good behavior. Daphne started college in the fall and has now finished her first semester. (She mentioned something this episode about it being the first time "in four months" that she can relax and not study.) So we're at December 2014 right now, i.e. when fall semesters end.

As far as the baseball musical, that crap should have taken about thirty minutes to write.

I think this is about right.  But it does beg the question, in addition to the lack of apparent weather, if this was fall through early winter, how was it baseball season?

I'm so done with everything Daphne.  I mean, I was on the fence last year before Bay took the fall for her.  This sudden passion for medicine is annoying and more so since part of Bay's reasoning was protecting "Daphne's Dream."  A part of me would be super sad for Bay if, after all she did for Daphne to further her opportunity is Daphne flamed out.  But I also really need this to be over and I think it high time Daphne be allowed to be bad at something and simply fail.  And really, every time Daphne talks about wanting to be a doctor I feel a wave of annoyance wash over me because of all of the above.  So I just want it over with, which is why I want to punch stupid Mingo in his stupid face.

Someone above mentioned Daphne's real passion was cooking. And two seasons (half?) ago I would have agreed.  But the way she's left it behind, I just don't see it anymore.  To me, Daphne's most consistent trait has been righteous indignation, which, if turned to a positive attitude, would make for a strong base in activism.  I think that would be her best fit.  She should work in policy and outreach.  That seems to be her real passion.

Emmet is a douche.  He wasn't wrong about anything he said.  But his timing and the way he said it and  his behavior leading up to it, oy.  In reality, everything he said about what she would have been doing and him needing to focus was correct, but it was also correct a year ago before he ever went out and before she took the fall for Daphne.  He has spent the last 6 months in the show's time line being pissed off at Bay for ruining their plans and then for whatever he thinks she did with Tank and been a passive-aggressive jerk about it throughout.  Nothing he's going through, feeling lonely when he got there, growing apart from Bay, becoming interested in someone who shares his passion is abnormal.  But he handled things about as badly as he could.

It took me a long time to want EBay back together after the cheating.  I won't make the effort again. 

• Love 1

This sounds right, but wasn't there a 10 week time jump in the premiere? I think Emmet was home for most of the summer.  He left in the same episode Daphne switched schools, and that was the beginning of the semester, late August probably.

But his timing and the way he said it and  his behavior leading up to it, oy.  In reality, everything he said about what she would have been doing and him needing to focus was correct, but it was also correct a year ago before he ever went out and before she took the fall for Daphne. 

That's true, but I think like a lot of high schoolers, he didn't realize what it would be like once he started college and the kinds of things he might miss out on if he was always going home to Bay.  So, I don't fault him for not knowing that until he'd been to L.A.  But he should have been a lot nicer about it, he was acting like that was all Bay's fault or that she was putting pressure on him, when it's really just a matter of growing up/apart.

I'm getting the vibe that Mingus is the show trying to recreate the Daphne/Wilke magic. It was sort of like he's trying to do a Wilke impression this episode. But Daphne is not the same girl she was in the beginning. I was kind of annoyed at the way she got all pissy at that doctor. It's not the doctor's fault the hospital doesn't have an interpreter! Though couldn't someone have tracked down a pad of paper and a pencil or something and communicate with Natalie that way instead of just leaving her all confused?

Pretty much everything Daphne does annoys me! I was wondering why they didn't go wit pen and paper in the hospital as well; at the very least to ask about allergies! 

• Love 1

Wilke was mostly a "bad boy" in name only-- I don't remember him doing anything actually terrible, he as just a little ADD. If they wanted to make Mingo a love interest, why did they introduce him as the guy who blew up the bathroom and caused thousands of dollars of damage, not to mention the inconvenience to the people who relied on those facilities? Has he ever been held accountable for that? No restitution? Just a mud run and then the relationship with Daphne? I suppose she, if anyone, should be forgiving, but we never even saw why he acted so shitty and thought it was such a funny "prank"-- I don't get it. Why did they introduce him as an unrepentant dirtbag and then decide he's actually a good guy? Are we supposed to think the message is: Girls! Love that violent unremorseful maniac! He's actually going to be a great and loyal friend! Don't even expect him to explain himself or show that he's changed. Isn't shitty behavior cute?

I also think the way they broke up Emmett and Bay was bizarre. Emmett could have broken up with her for the "growing apart" reason without making him also be such an asshole about the rape. I wonder what Melody-- she's still his mom, right??-- would think if she knew her son was behaving this way. I bet she'd be ashamed. I loved it when Bay called him weak.

Daphne saying she hasn't done anything but study for 4 months was so out of nowhere! She had plenty of time to rush the sorority, participate in the mud run, try to date Mingo... all they show her doing is socializing. There's been zero school stuff since midterms.

I like Iris.

Regina and her hunk annoy me. I just don't care about them at all. All they ever do with Regina is give her some man to cry about. It's tedious. The kid is adorable, but still-- who cares about Regina and her love life? She hardly knows this guy and he knows little about her, either. The whole storyline is shallower than a fairy tale: She walks into a coffee shop, finds an immediately wildly successful new business and family to fall into? Usually fairly tales at least have a period of struggle and a moral at the end. With this, it's just the same weeping glotch they give Regina all the time, without any actual character growth. Boring.

Toby's hair has been offending one way or another all season. And now his attitude is in the toilet, too. I forget why I used to like him, but it's okay. He seems realistically annoying. The musical not being an instant success was pleasing to me, also. I don't think 4 a few months to write a musical is very long at all. They are first timers and this is their first draft. If they got a contract to produce on Broadway after the first showcase, I'd say that's Glee-levels of ridiculous.

• Love 4

I feel a little like Emmett just got Joel-ed. (tm Parenthood) Mostly though, I cheered for Bay's "He is WEAK" and am curious to see what next (half of the?) season looks like. Do they keep Sean Berdy on the show in a regular role if he's off in LA shenaniganing it up with Skye? His storyline would be so separate...I can't see it working. Maybe if they gave Melody a major storyline or Travis suddenly remembered they were friends?

I think the SAB writers took Emmett beyond Joel territory. Sure Joel deciding to up and leave his family at the first sign of trouble was shitty and out of character, but his response was somewhat understandable. He had reason to be upset initially. Julia kissed another man and lied about it and they were having trouble dealing with their new roles in the marriage already. Emmett's reason for being upset with Bay was that she was raped and he blamed her for putting herself in that situation. It's kind of hard to see that as understandable. I know he said it wasn't just about Tank but that definitely seems to be what started the trouble for them and he clearly couldn't let it go or see it any other way. Joel also seemed to care about Julia, even during the split. Emmett displayed a complete lack of concern for Bay, not just with the breakup but ever since he found that the Tank thing wasn't as black and white as he wanted it to be. He chose to ignore his girlfriend and shut her out when she was going through something painful and confusing because he couldn't handle it. He acted cold and callous towards her during the breakup after deciding to use her painful traumatic experience to further his academic career while completely disregarding how it would make her feel. He didn't even think she deserved to know he was doing it. I see no way Emmett could be redeemed for his actions if he goes through with making the film. As in character as I think it is for Emmett to be selfish and emotionally manipulative, this was a step too far. He made everything Bay was going through about him and then blamed her for how he felt. Emmett was never my favorite character but he was never a bad person. Even when he cheated on Bay out of anger, I didn't think he was irredeemable but now? He did such a shitty thing I can't imagine how they could even keep him on the show because he's so unlikeable now. They could limit him to interacting with Melody and Travis but I would never want to see him in a scene with Bay or even Daphne again.

Sean Berdy has exactly three facial expressions - 1. smug 2. pouting 3. angry - so it was going to be one of those regardless of the context of the scene.

He actually does angry pretty well but anything else really seems out of his reach. I re-watched the scene and sadly I think he was trying to convey regret but he couldn't get there and it came across as arrogant indifference. 

Emmet is a douche.  He wasn't wrong about anything he said.  But his timing and the way he said it and  his behavior leading up to it, oy.  In reality, everything he said about what she would have been doing and him needing to focus was correct, but it was also correct a year ago before he ever went out and before she took the fall for Daphne.  He has spent the last 6 months in the show's time line being pissed off at Bay for ruining their plans and then for whatever he thinks she did with Tank and been a passive-aggressive jerk about it throughout.  Nothing he's going through, feeling lonely when he got there, growing apart from Bay, becoming interested in someone who shares his passion is abnormal.  But he handled things about as badly as he could.

On their own, I think the things Emmett brought up during the breakup scene makes sense for a high school couple trying to make it work post-graduation and realizing it's not as easy as they thought it would be. I actually would have given Emmett credit for recognizing that and putting an end to his relationship the way MaryBeth did with Travis if he didn't do it in such a hurtful way and didn't only seem to come to that realization after his girlfriend had been sexually assaulted by her ex-bf. But I call bullshit on everything Emmett said because they hadn't even tried to make it work yet. Their relationship was basically on hold for a couple of months because of Bay taking the fall for Daphne so how did he know that Bay would have nothing to do when she got to LA, or that he'd feel pressured to fill in the voids in her life, or that he wouldn't be able to focus with her around? Did he get all that from their one day together in LA? And what changed from a couple of weeks prior when he came to visit after hearing she had been raped and wanted to discuss apartments? He had been in LA for a few weeks at that point and still wanted Bay to come. It seems he only started to feel differently when he found out that Bay's assault didn't happen the way he thought it should have. He didn't give their relationship a chance, he decided it wasn't worth it on his own, which is fine, he doesn't have to be with her if he doesn't want to be but he acted like it was some mutual thing they both feeling when it was all him. He basically gave her the opposite of the "it's not you, it's me" speech and put the blame on her when she not only didn't do anything wrong but was actively trying really hard to make it work. 

• Love 4

The hospital scene was sadly realistic. I had to interpret what was going on for my husband while I was in the ER about to have emergency surgery once. The interpreter didn't come until I was already in surgery--and this was in an area with a huge Deaf population and tons of local interpreters.

I was hoping Daphne would be inspired to try something new. It would have been interesting if she had decided to be a CDI (Certified Deaf Intepreter). They are brought in for Deaf people who are low language and struggle to understand (and be understood by) hearing interpreters. A CDI works as a team with the hearing interpreter, putting the original interpretation into a form that can be more easily understood and then taking what the Deaf client is saying and putting it into clearer ASL so the hearing interpreter can voice the real meaning more effectively. They are used in legal, medical, mental health...all kinds of settings. A CDI (a friend of mine, actually) was recently gently mocked on The Daily Show for his expressiveness during a press conference when all he was doing was putting ASL into the most Deaf-friendly form. Jon Stewart didn't seem to know the interpreter was Deaf.

ANYWAY, Emmett really does bug me now. He mouths a lot of his lines instead of signing them and he makes a lot of helpless-looking gestures that could be part of his character or could be a weird acting tic that passes for signing but that really just makes it seem like it takes him forever to get a thought out. I really want to like him, but I just don't. I'm also not a fan of Daphne and her tight lips or her exaggerated signing. The other Deaf characters are really good, though. And more Russell Harvard, please!!

• Love 4

It's interesting that Travis and Melody really are the two people who Emmett is closest to and who serve as his family-- and they were two of the strongest supporters of the "Bay was raped and it's not ambiguous" point of view. I wonder if they will ever show the two of them finding out about and confronting Emmett on his attitude.

• Love 6

I agree with a lot of what the other posters have said.

I was hoping that the "D" in an Intro Chemistry class  (which is a sign that she's probably not cut out for a medical career) would be enough to allow Daphne to refocus, perhaps in the realm of interpretation or social services, but alas we get special snowflake Daphne retaking chemistry.  I am sure she'll get an A the second time around.  

Meanwhile Bay gets dumped on (literally and figuratively) again.  I am hoping that the writers will allow her to just have some fun exploring herself and her art. 

That being said, it was always my impression that the Emmett-Bay relationship was endgame so I am surprised by this break-up and the way in which the writers have had this play out.  Many couples that I know of (including my own parents and another couple that I knew that got engaged in high school) have a post-high school break before realizing that they really are meant for each other.  I can understand a little bump in the road but this seems very final.   I am perplexed as to how the writers are going to write themselves out of this situation if the idea is that Emmett and Bay are supposed to be together.  Does Sean Berdy disappear from the cast for season 4B?  There is really no point to him being on the show if he is no longer involved with Bay, no longer friends with Daphne and seemingly never talks to his mother Melody.  Furthermore, given the way the breakup happened It would be nearly impossible for them to justify a reunion at this point unless....

One of the posters mentioned the show jumping ahead in time, perhaps a number of years.  Certainly most of the "teen" actors are playing younger than their age so shifting ahead (perhaps to senior year of college final semester) or even summer post college might be interesting.  With the proper styling and makeup they all could easily look older and more mature.  It might also be a way for the writers to get themselves out of a number of holes that they have dug for themselves.  Under this scenario they could find Bay and Emmett reuniting when both are more mature and established in their lives after a chance encounter several years later (perhaps at Daphne's graduation, although at this point it doesn't seem like Daphne and Emmett are really friends any longer).  

Although my fantasy scenario would play out like this and not include a reunion between Bay and Emmett but perhaps a way for them to all be friends: Bay could be back in Kansas City after doing an undergraduate degree in Italy with an Italian fiance (since Vanessa Marano speaks Italian fluently they could have her throw in a couple of lines here and there for authenticity). Daphne could have decided being a doctor wasn't for her after all and pursued a career in interpretation or social services. Toby could have found some kind of direction in his life, married with a kid, and perhaps teaching music, coaching on the side, and playing in a house band at a local club.  Emmet, could perhaps be a local director for a news studio or local talk show while doing art projects and filmmaking on the side and occasionally in collaboration with Bay.  Perhaps Regina is remarried, moved back to East Riverside and living with her new husband and stepson while running the coffee shop, and Kathryn and John have downsized, buying a cute loft in a hip KC neighborhood and enjoying their retirement and grandchild.  

• Love 2

I am perplexed as to how the writers are going to write themselves out of this situation if the idea is that Emmett and Bay are supposed to be together.  Does Sean Berdy disappear from the cast for season 4B?  There is really no point to him being on the show if he is no longer involved with Bay, no longer friends with Daphne and seemingly never talks to his mother Melody.  Furthermore, given the way the breakup happened It would be nearly impossible for them to justify a reunion at this point unless....

Lizzy Weiss (the show's creator) answered a fan on twitter who asked if Sean Berdy would remain on the show and she said of course Emmett will continue to appear because he's still Melody's son, Travis's "brother", and Daphne's oldest friend.

But I agree, there's really no way to undo this break up and reunite Emmett and Bay without it being utterly ridiculous, which I'm actually kind of happy about because I think Bay deserves better. Still it's kind of surprising to me they went so scorched earth on the relationship because I thought for sure they were gonna force those two together till the bitter end. I don't think Bay and Emmett could even be friends after this. I can't even really see him and Daphne being friends now despite their history. Daphne considers the Bay/Tank incident to be rape and was witness to how much Bay was struggling with it so I can't imagine her being okay with her friend treating her "sister" the way Emmett has treated Bay after her assault. Then again, it's Daphne so who knows, she'll probably start dating him or something. 

It's interesting that Travis and Melody really are the two people who Emmett is closest to and who serve as his family-- and they were two of the strongest supporters of the "Bay was raped and it's not ambiguous" point of view. I wonder if they will ever show the two of them finding out about and confronting Emmett on his attitude.

As much as I would love to see someone sit Emmett down and slap some sense into him, I almost hope they don't go there because then he'll probably come around and apologize, leaving the door open for a potential romantic reunion between him and Bay and I really don't want that. I'd rather they leave the relationship for dead and just have Emmett do his own thing in LA and occasionally interact with Melody and Travis.   

• Love 1

The only mitigation I can produce for Emmett (and I have been a die-hard Ebay shipper) is that he is using the film to try and make sense of the Tank event for himself. (Of course he could ask Bay and actually listen to her response...)

a CDI (Certified Deaf Intepreter). They are brought in for Deaf people who are low language and struggle to understand (and be understood by) hearing interpreters. A CDI works as a team with the hearing interpreter, putting the original interpretation into a form that can be more easily understood and then taking what the Deaf client is saying and putting it into clearer ASL so the hearing interpreter can voice the real meaning more effectively. They are used in legal, medical, mental health...all kinds of settings. A CDI (a friend of mine, actually) was recently gently mocked on The Daily Show for his expressiveness during a press conference when all he was doing was putting ASL into the most Deaf-friendly form. Jon Stewart didn't seem to know the interpreter was Deaf.

Wow, I didn't have any idea such a job existed! See, that would be really cool for the show to do, and better achieve their stated goal of getting people to understand deafness and deaf culture more. Although maybe in the next few episodes Daphne will find out that's a thing she could do, and the retaking chemistry thing is just a red herring.

• Love 3

So I'm going to voice my (clearly) unpopular opinion here.... I don't have a problem with the Bay and Emmett story / scenes. I think everything he said was completely legitimate. And I don't think he was cold about it either. I interpreted that slight disconnect as his apprehension for not want to hurt her whilst still voicing what he wants. The whole Tank story affected him too and he was right in that maybe it was his way of working through it by writing in to his movie. And again, he didn't tell her because he knew it was still a sore topic with them and he wasn't sure how she would react. When she showed up, he even wanted to rewrite it as to spare her feelings. They HAVE been disconnect for some time now and it probably does have to do with his life going in a different direction but there's nothing wrong with that. Like most relationships, I think theirs ran it's course. That's it. I still like him as a character and her as well. Just not together. 

On another note, Daphne's character REALLY needs some work.. She's far too wooden right now. Like some other posters here, I'm struggling to hold on to anything in this show. It's gotten a bit dull... Daphne, Regina, Kathryn, Toby... I'm hoping that when it comes back in the summer it will be with a BANG because right now it's just fizzling out.... :( 

• Love 2

So I'm going to voice my (clearly) unpopular opinion here.... I don't have a problem with the Bay and Emmett story / scenes. I think everything he said was completely legitimate. And I don't think he was cold about it either. I interpreted that slight disconnect as his apprehension for not want to hurt her whilst still voicing what he wants. The whole Tank story affected him too and he was right in that maybe it was his way of working through it by writing in to his movie. And again, he didn't tell her because he knew it was still a sore topic with them and he wasn't sure how she would react. When she showed up, he even wanted to rewrite it as to spare her feelings. They HAVE been disconnect for some time now and it probably does have to do with his life going in a different direction but there's nothing wrong with that. Like most relationships, I think theirs ran it's course. That's it. I still like him as a character and her as well. Just not together. 

I'll hang out on the island with you, timimouse. I thought that what Emmett did in terms of using Bay's bad experience for his movie was really foul, but I don't actually have a problem with the breakup.Taken at face value, he should be wanting to focus on his goals; so should she. They're only 18- no one at that age should be moving across the country for a relationship. I thought that was a horrible plan when they first came up with it. It's why we advise high school sweethearts not to base their college choices on each other, or even to expect the relationship to last once college starts, whether they go to the same school or not. That said, I don't think Emmett was being honest about his real reasons for breaking up with Bay. I think he really does blame her for what happened with Tank, and writing the experience into his movie was just one way of getting back at her. I hope Bay moves on too-let her aspirations for her art take her wherever-heck, find a way to stay in LA, but for her goals, not Emmett's. Better art scene than Kansas, I'm thinking. And as far as Emmett and his views on relationships not needing work- good luck with that. A few years, a few failed relationships, and maybe a few failed marriages will disabuse him of that notion.

• Love 1

We didn't see Emmett's script, so we don't know if writing about what happened with Bay was fair or not.  If he told the story from his point of view, then I think he has a right to tell HIS story.  He was affected differently than Bay, but it did still affect him, and he needs to deal with his feelings on his own terms.  I'm not a fan of Emmett lately, but he's a young kid and I can't condemn him for having difficulty understanding what happened with Bay.  Even Bay is having difficulty understanding it.

We didn't see Emmett's script, so we don't know if writing about what happened with Bay was fair or not. If he told the story from his point of view, then I think he has a right to tell HIS story. He was affected differently than Bay, but it did still affect him, and he needs to deal with his feelings on his own terms. I'm not a fan of Emmett lately, but he's a young kid and I can't condemn him for having difficulty understanding what happened with Bay. Even Bay is having difficulty understanding it.

On the one hand, I agree with you. Emmett does, and should, have the right to work through his feelings about what happened. What I disagree with is the idea that he has the right to take something very private and personal that happened to Bay and turn it in to a movie that will be seen by countless strangers without her knowledge or consent. He could have at least been considerate enough to let her know what he was doing, but he purposefully tried to hide it from her- possibly because, deep down, he felt it was wrong.

I do think these two needed to break up, and Emmett wasn't wrong in what he said about the strain their relationship has been under. I don't fault him for wanting to focus on himself or for struggling to figure out how he feels about what happened. I just wish he hadn't included the Tank incident in his movie.

• Love 1

I am so tired of this show. There is just no joy here.

I think my favorite part was Natalie at the hospital, because that felt authentic.  Though I kept wondering why Natalie didn't whip out her cell phone and type out what she wanted to say. 

• Love 3

Finally watched the finale last night. Emmett really turned out to be a disappointment, didn't he? Till this episode, I really wanted Bay and Emmett to end up together. Now I hope that she runs as far away from him as possible; Bay can do so much better.

Toby's hair was beyond distracting in every scene that he was in. What in the world is up with it? Is this some new style that I am too old to recognize?

I liked the John and Regina scene a lot; those two have come a long way. I wonder whether Will was abducted by his father, which would account for all of the moving they have done. I don't want Regina's heart to be broken yet again.

Liked the scene in the hospital with Natalie and the non-signing nurse. Probably pretty realistic.

Bay said that Emmett was "weak" and "a liar". She has NO intention of ever getting back together with him again. That relationship is PERMANENTLY finished. She will no longer go to LA, text him, or Skype with him. He is in LA where he will become a hit maker of movies while she is in KC,, where she will struggle to find a decent job, unless it is through her parents, 2000 miles apart.

I am doubtful that Regina and Eric will have a happy ending - but we'll see.

I recently caught up with season 4 on Netflix and I don't know if I have ever been so angry with a fictional character as I am with Emmett right now!!! What a douche bag! If the show wanted them broken up, they should have just done it when he moved to LA not after Bay was assaulted!!!! 

I am hoping - uselessly I'm sure - that they will just write him off of the show. I don't ever ever ever want to see him on my TV screen again. IF I continue to watch this show, which at this point is a big IF, I will just fast forward through his scenes. This was just one more huge instance of Bay getting dumped on. 

Showing his movie to girlfriend - who is supposed to be the person that he is closest to in the entire world - was too personal? He showed it to Stupid Skye, his professor, and is making a movie so he can show it to as many people as possible, but he can't show it to Bay. The woman who it is about. The one who lived through all of the drama and trauma. Are you EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!? 

And then he ended it with Bay b/c they "don't like the same things anymore" and he doesn't want to feel guilty about "having to rush home to see her every night" or some such bull shit. WHAT?!?!?!? Umm... you still like movies and she still likes art. That was good enough for you a few weeks ago, but it's not now. You wanted to rush home to her a few weeks ago, so much so that when you heard she was raped YOU WERE WILLING TO DROP OUT OF SCHOOL TO TAKE CARE OF HER. What changed? Oh. Right. You decided that she wasn't raped. You decided that she cheated on you. All of her family and friends support and believe her. Hell, the school administration believes her - so much so that they expelled Travis. But the person who is supposed to love and support her the most in the world doesn't believe her. Why? Bc it's convenient. It's easier to believe she cheated than to "work" on your relationship. (And relationships are work dumbass.) It's easier to hook up with Stupid Skye than to keep trying with Bay. It's easier to fall into something new with someone who follows you around like a little puppy dog than to be with someone who challenges you. She's right you are WEAK. And she deserves better and so do the viewers. We deserve never having to see you again. 

• Love 1

Just for the record, the school expelled Tank and NOT Travis.

Now, instead of concentrating on the SMALL picture, the Bay-Emmett love story, people will now be able to concentrate on the BIG picture - the fact that Bay is a convicted felon and Daphne will have to pay the psychological price for that - the pressure to get good grades and the guilt that she will feel every time something bad happens to Bay involving the law.

I'm finally caught up.

Emmett...ugh...way to torpedo a character that used to be so likable.

I wonder if Travis's pitching arm will recover? He's only just finding something that he's good at and has confidence in. It would be awful for him to lose it,

Why isn't Melody encouraging Daphne to go into allied health or nursing? Something where the academic requirements are a little more spread out and there's more support for struggling students? I know Daphne has always been a golden girl who was an academic success story, but there are a lot of health care professions other than being a doctor. She can be a shining star for the Deaf community and do a lot of good as a nurse or as a med tech or in any of the other jobs in a hospital. Heck, a signing nurse's aid or an orderly could have been called in and helped Natalie communicate.

Poor Bay. Having said that, it was coming as soon as Emmett moved on and she didn't. It would have happened, probably, even if she'd moved to LA and gotten a job while he was in college, or even if she'd been in college too. Most high school relationships don't last into college. Add Bay choosing Daphne over Emmett and her being with Tank at all while drunk (whether she had sex intentionally or not, she was still partying with her ex-boyfriend after her current boyfriend had headed back to school), and it was doomed.

I'm finally caught up.

Emmett...ugh...way to torpedo a character that used to be so likable.

I wonder if Travis's pitching arm will recover? He's only just finding something that he's good at and has confidence in. It would be awful for him to lose it,

Why isn't Melody encouraging Daphne to go into allied health or nursing? Something where the academic requirements are a little more spread out and there's more support for struggling students? I know Daphne has always been a golden girl who was an academic success story, but there are a lot of health care professions other than being a doctor. She can be a shining star for the Deaf community and do a lot of good as a nurse or as a med tech or in any of the other jobs in a hospital. Heck, a signing nurse's aid or an orderly could have been called in and helped Natalie communicate.

Poor Bay. Having said that, it was coming as soon as Emmett moved on and she didn't. It would have happened, probably, even if she'd moved to LA and gotten a job while he was in college, or even if she'd been in college too. Most high school relationships don't last into college. Add Bay choosing Daphne over Emmett and her being with Tank at all while drunk (whether she had sex intentionally or not, she was still partying with her ex-boyfriend after her current boyfriend had headed back to school), and it was doomed.

Bay didn't give up her life so that Daphne could go into allied health or nursing. Daphne MUST become a doctor - and all of the pressures of getting good grades that go along with that.

This is going to be one of the really rare shows, that doesn't involve the mob, men who make meth, or motorcycle gangs, where the 2 main characters have relatively unhappy endings. There is NO escaping that.