Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I’m not a Bates fan, just never got into them. I watched the video of them touring the new house. They seem like a nice family. The pool is a concern to her, and I can understand that. The dad seems to be a patient guy. Of course I’m just going by one video. 🤷🏼‍♀️

They're every bit as crazy and hateful as the Duggars. They're just better at wrapping it up in a prettier, more normal-seeming package. Don't be fooled.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
(edited)
3 hours ago, Heathen said:

At one point, the Websters lived in a pretty-damn-nice house, and I don't think it only had two bedrooms. I'm pretty sure it was owned, too. 

I'm aware she just had disappointment daughter #4. My question is when she'll announce another pregnancy in her quest for a son. 

No, Alyssa said in the house video that this is the first house they've owned in their 7 years of marriage. They've been in the same 3 BR rental the entire time.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

No, Alyssa said in the house video that this is the first house they've owned in their 7 years of marriage. They've been in the same 3 BR rental the entire time.

Right three bedroom. I forgot they made one bedroom into a school room.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Right three bedroom. I forgot they made one bedroom into a school room.

I laugh every time Alyssa calls the third bedroom a "school room." She just plunks Allie down with a tablet and headphones, and leaves her to her own devices. I've never seen her do any one-on-one teaching. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I laugh every time Alyssa calls the third bedroom a "school room." She just plunks Allie down with a tablet and headphones, and leaves her to her own devices. I've never seen her do any one-on-one teaching. 

I know. And the other two (3 now) aren't even school age, yet she felt the need to dedicate an entire room for school - computer school.

When my kids were that age, if I shut the door and left them alone to sit in front of a computer for school work they'd probably last 15 minutes before they'd be wanting to do something else.

• Love 13

I think John was homeschooled too so he probably thinks whatever Alyssa does is just fine. In the new house there is a room in the front that is already designated as the school room. They do seem like hard workers so I’m happy for them. Just wish the girls were getting a better education.

• Love 2
Just now, ozziemom said:

I think John was homeschooled too so he probably thinks whatever Alyssa does is just fine. In the new house there is a room in the front that is already designated as the school room. They do seem like hard workers so I’m happy for them. Just wish the girls were getting a better education.

That room is a beautiful room too, tons of windows. I'm not sure how quiet it will be though, its open to the upstairs.

• Love 3
(edited)

There’s a young filmmaker named Zanah Thirus who recently made a documentary about her life as a homeschooler. Her family is African-American and by my guess, fundie-lite. Zanah and her siblings were homeschooled, started community college at 14, obtained bachelors degrees by 18, and then masters degrees by like 20 or 21 years old. Though Zanah felt she was too young for college at that age, her siblings were happy with their experiences. It’s still mind boggling to me how families like the Rods and Duggars are so adamant about homeschooling and self-suffiency (for the males) yet leave their children so unprepared to make a living in the real world. There’s only so many store front preacher and Bible pilot jobs to go around. Ben ofJessa Seewald’s father made such a big deal about his son’s associate’s degree, but what is Ben doing with that degree all these years later? Is he still scrubbing Jim Bob’s toilets? 

ETA: I only mention the doc, “Ready, Set, Adult,” because after watching it, “United Bates of America” showed up as something that “Customers Also Watched.” No thanks on that though lol.

Edited by charmed1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I have to wonder what their Fundie community really thinks of this family. That woman has her arms around that poor child like she wants to snatch her up and save her...I wouldn’t be surprised if she gave her her roll.

Do they put up with Jill’s histrionics and Shrek’s lumpen sanctimony just because they feel so bad for the children? This isn’t a community that trusts the government, so they’re not going to call DCS. But do they talk behind the scenes and try to make sure they get the kids fed somehow at least a couple of times a month?

Do the women side-eye Jill’s lectures on having the Perfect Life For Jesus while her kids look like death warmed over? Or have they had skepticism and reality beaten out of them by adulthood?

I really wonder the same, with regard to others’ perception of them in the fundy community. I wonder if they see these kids and are concerned. 

“lumpen sanctimony” is an awesome phrase that fits david so perfectly!  Well done!  👏

• Love 13

Nurie and social media just amazes me. Is she not interested in having social media  accounts or is her mother so controlling that she has to be the only one allowed to give updates on any member of the family or they face her wrath. I just can’t comprehend a woman who is old enough to legally vote and drink not being on social media herself but having all of her business broadcasted by her mother. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Nurie and social media just amazes me. Is she not interested in having social media  accounts or is her mother so controlling that she has to be the only one allowed to give updates on any member of the family or they face her wrath. I just can’t comprehend a woman who is old enough to legally vote and drink not being on social media herself but having all of her business broadcasted by her mother. 

I applaud her for not having social media. Too bad she still sends those pictures to Jill to exploit.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I wonder if it even occurs to her she can have her own social media account. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

She will! Or MAMA will make send her some. I see a weekly photo shoot with Nurie. 

At the least,I think Nurie has to get anything she sends to best Momma approved by Nathan,since he was speaking out against SM.Maybe he doesn't want her to have any SM of her own,but relents to Jill,just to appease her? We know the patriarchs really run the show,with the exception of Jill,of course,so Nurie can't think or do anything without Nathan's approval first

On 3/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, iwantcookies said:

That’s who probably fed the 9 starving refugees. Where are the other 4? 

45F270FA-1317-429F-A03C-88983B2859F1.jpeg

There are 9 kids in the top picture. Another kid in the picture with the lady and the hoodie. So that's 10 kids in these photos. There should be another girl. She's probably obsecured by the booth.

Nurie is married and doesn't travel with her siblings all the time. Tim was home and also hasn't been traveling as much. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Tim was in Tennessee with them:

AD2F2DA9-0B1A-4453-85A3-2D8038576837.jpeg

There is another photo taken in this same room.  Everyone is sitting in a circle playing some game. There are several godly young women, complete in frump wear.  Plenty for the Rod boys!

• Useful 2

Tim's dressed like he's going to a completely different event than the others.

Also, did I hear that he got fired from his job with the assisted living group (or whatever his job was)?

• Useful 5
4 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Also, did I hear that he got fired from his job with the assisted living group (or whatever his job was)?

I don't think that was ever confirmed.  Most people felt that he should have been fired, based on his social media post that was less than ethical.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I don't think that was ever confirmed.  Most people felt that he should have been fired, based on his social media post that was less than ethical.

It's good to know that Tim hasn't disappeared off the face of the earth. It will be interesting to see if he does more videos from the assisted living facility. He got to number 3 in his series of mini-sermons and nothing since. He may still be employed but forbidden to make his videos at work or post anything. Of course, he may have lost his job. If that's the case, the blame should go to Jill because the post was on her social media and was surely her idea. Still, Tim could be in the doghouse for not having a paycheck to hand over to BEST Mama anymore because nothing is ever Jill's fault.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

It's good to know that Tim hasn't disappeared off the face of the earth. It will be interesting to see if he does more videos from the assisted living facility. He got to number 3 in his series of mini-sermons and nothing since. He may still be employed but forbidden to make his videos at work or post anything. Of course, he may have lost his job. If that's the case, the blame should go to Jill because the post was on her social media and was surely her idea. Still, Tim could be in the doghouse for not having a paycheck to hand over to BEST Mama anymore because nothing is ever Jill's fault.  

Maybe he needs to wait for JillR to approve his post and since she’s been traveling she hasn’t had a chance. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I was first wondering why Timbits was the only one not wearing shoes, because his socks stood out. Then I looked more closely and started wondering why the second one from the left was the ONLY one wearing shoes. 

• LOL 5
36 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I was first wondering why Timbits was the only one not wearing shoes, because his socks stood out. Then I looked more closely and started wondering why the second one from the left was the ONLY one wearing shoes. 

My first thought was that they were told to take their shoes off to protect the wooden floor, but then I noticed that the floor looked like crap.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Temperance said:

There are 9 kids in the top picture. Another kid in the picture with the lady and the hoodie. So that's 10 kids in these photos. There should be another girl. She's probably obsecured by the booth.

Nurie is married and doesn't travel with her siblings all the time. Tim was home and also hasn't been traveling as much. 

Is that Zaxby's? They don't have rolls where I live,just toast,unless she's eating a chicken nibbler

Edited by sondraK

"Hospitable to our large family." Indeed. I bet the Hales fed all the Rods, even the kids, and probably let them use the bathrooms, including the showers, in their house. They are kin, after all. Do we know if the Hales are also fundie?

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Once again, it's all about what other people are doing for Jill.

And that's David's sister? They look nothing alike.

She's a perfectly attractive human person!

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Could be a half sister. Shrek's dad committed suicide when he was around 5-6. I've only seen his mother a couple of times, but don't recall if she was married, or had maybe remarried and been widowed (or divorced). All this to say that I've never seen the mother pictured with a man. But then again, the pictures I've seen of her were very casual, so a husband could have just been out of camera range. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Is David losing weight? He’s still got a ridiculously distended abdomen, but his face looks somewhat thinner.

Maybe he's guzzling Plexus,or fasting for Jesus.Nah

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
10 hours ago, emma675 said:

Different fathers. Her maiden name is Drake.

• Useful 10
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I think there are two reasons he looks different in that photo...

1) He’s standing up straight.

2) He looks happy. Usually he looks like he’s desperately hoping Jesus will take him home. 

Also the other people in the photo are not his waif like children.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Is David losing weight? He’s still got a ridiculously distended abdomen, but his face looks somewhat thinner.

He doesn’t gain weight in his head/neck. It all goes to his gut/thighs. 

He is such a HUNK!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Those look to me to be expensive collector dolls. The kind that people spend hundreds of dollars on.  At least, from the photos.   One is in a wooden case, even.  How long before the dolls are added to best mama’s prize closet or incorporated into the decor of the Barndo?  

• Love 7