Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

David has enough dependents that I don't think he and Jill are paying any income taxes either state or federal.   I don't think they can count their residence as a place of worship,  so property taxes are probably the only ones they have to pay.

Since they're a "ministry" they likely get tax-exempt status. A quick google search indicates that the tax-exemption may also apply to property tax. Knowing these people, they probably know all the loopholes and got that for themselves, too.

6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Looks to me like it should be captioned "Wow, this pitter pattering rain sound really makes me need to pee." 

Isn't this the picture of Erin and Whitney, but with Whitney cropped out?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/27/2019 at 11:46 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

The accent mark makes it more Klassy. At least there is an H, wasn't there a fundie who named their kid Kloe?I swear I remember that from way back when I hung at Free Jinger(my laptop hates that site for some reason so I'm not on there nearly as much as I used to)

Personally I'm very fond of 's-Gravenhage or Scheveningen.

Yes, it was this girl Kristina (whose blog hasn't been updated for a few years, but still seems to be active on her Facebook page). Looks like she and her husband just celebrated their 10th anniversary, but I believe they came to our attention because of their use of a "courting ruler" to make sure they were always a safe distance apart. (This was also the couple who got engaged at Arby's.)

ETA: Looks like she's started a new blog "working to 'Break the Stigma' of being a born again Christian with severe anxiety, and panic attacks," which is actually pretty cool of her.

Edited by LolaGeek
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 7/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, Patricia07 said:

Does Whitney think an umlaut is decorative? And you know they're going to ask her about it in TH. Can't wait to hear what she has to say.

I am going with she has no idea what that word means.  Nor has she ever seen it.  That mark is just her version of flair.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6

How do they count "souls saved"? Is it everyone who actually made eye contact when they received a tract? Or anyone who spoke to them and wasn't hostile?

Maybe they give a tract, kill the person, and if they watch the soul rise to Heaven, they can count them as "saved"?  

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Since they're a "ministry" they likely get tax-exempt status. A quick google search indicates that the tax-exemption may also apply to property tax. Knowing these people, they probably know all the loopholes and got that for themselves, too.

I disagree.  They are members of a church, but I doubt they would qualify for tax exempt status as an organization or non-profit according the IRS.  I  searched for the Rodrigues Family Ministries of West Virginia on the IRS Tax Exempt Organization Search  page and they aren't listed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Maybe they give a tract, kill the person, and if they watch the soul rise to Heaven, they can count them as "saved"?  

I think I saw that episode of Forensic Files.

• LOL 16
5 hours ago, LolaGeek said:

!Yes, it was this girl Kristina (whose blog hasn't been updated for a few years, but still seems to be active on her Facebook page). Looks like she and her husband just celebrated their 10th anniversary, but I believe they came to our attention because of their use of a "courting ruler" to make sure they were always a safe distance apart. (This was also the couple who got engaged at Arby's.)

ETA: Looks like she's started a new blog "working to 'Break the Stigma' of being a born again Christian with severe anxiety, and panic attacks," which is actually pretty cool of her.

A courting ruler sounds like a joke! WTF!

On the topic of Carlin advertising for the shampoo company, they responded to me!  Lip service, maybe.  But it’s nice to see that someone read what I wrote and is taking some sort of action.

I messaged a getaway company who is promoting an influencer who preaches against birth control and says it murders babies.  They basically told me to fuck off so...

5D566B70-FCEB-440A-BBB6-CEE6950A8CE6.png

903D9AD8-E5A9-4977-AF45-1D6E3B2BE958.png

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Wishing Well said:

On the topic of Carlin advertising for the shampoo company, they responded to me!  Lip service, maybe.  But it’s nice to see that someone read what I wrote and is taking some sort of action.

I messaged a getaway company who is promoting an influencer who preaches against birth control and says it murders babies.  They basically told me to fuck off so...

Personalized shampoo company?  Carlin Bates is shilling them?  Just wondering for a tweeting friend...:)

(edited)

Jill has a new blog post up. I’m not going to even bother putting it here. It’s all about Nurie courting, and the wedding she was in. Same blah, blah, blah. Mostly the same pictures that have been posted here, along with explaining courting are in it.

The exception was this, followed by 5 pictures of his car  as he was leaving. Very weird.

When Nathan left, we all waved goodbye to him until we could see his car no longer. It was sad to see him drive away. He has become SO precious to our family!  Sofia (just turned 4 years old) even said he is her “best bud”! This is his vehicle driving away.  

Edited by ginger90
(edited)

Nurie and Kaylee spent a couple of weeks with the Pearls a couple of summers ago. That was about as close to camp as any of the girls have gotten. Timothy worked at a Christian summer camp last year. No idea how he got the gig.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
On 7/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, doodlebug said:

Since there weren't printing presses back in Biblical times and everything that was written was done by hand on parchment, I don't think the authors of the Bible mentioned tracts.  I went to the Holy Land just last month and saw some of the original Dead Sea scrolls. they're a little too big to slip under someone's door.

On the other hand if someone showed up on my doorstep with some original Dead Sea scrolls in hand , I’d be willing to answer my door.  Probably.  Who am I kidding, I answer my door as often as I answer my phone.

• LOL 12
10 minutes ago, awaken said:

That’s really sad to think about the little kids pining after his car leaving!  

Maybe he brought them candy? Or played with them? 

Or Jill is lying painting the picture that her kids already love Nathan.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, awaken said:

That’s really sad to think about the little kids pining after his car leaving!  

My youngest daughters, 3 and 4, recently developed huges crushes on a guy who was here for an hour to give us some estimates for work on our house. A week later, they still ask about him by name and say they miss him. They both go to preschool and are very socialized. 

In conclusion, kids are weird. The fact that Jill posts about it as if it is supremely meaningful instead is what I find strange. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

My youngest daughters, 3 and 4, recently developed huges crushes on a guy who was here for an hour to give us some estimates for work on our house. A week later, they still ask about him by name and say they miss him. They both go to preschool and are very socialized. 

In conclusion, kids are weird. The fact that Jill posts about it as if it is supremely meaningful instead is what I find strange. 

Remember one of the Duggar girls - Johanna I think - had a crush on Ben when he started hanging around the TTH.  In at least a couple of talking heads on 19K&C, she said crush-y stuff about him.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Nurie and Kaylee spent a couple of weeks with the Pearls a couple of summers ago. That was about as close to camp as any of the girls have gotten. Timothy worked at a Christian summer camp last year. No idea how he got the gig.

Wasn't Tim a volunteer at that camp last year?  I seem to recall some lamentation on Jill's part about how he was so godly and devout that he was a volunteer at the camp which limited his ability to get a real paying job to help with school.  In other words, he's following in his parents' footsteps and expecting to grift his way into stuff while proclaiming his religious devotion rather than earning his own keep.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Wasn't Tim a volunteer at that camp last year?  I seem to recall some lamentation on Jill's part about how he was so godly and devout that he was a volunteer at the camp which limited his ability to get a real paying job to help with school.  In other words, he's following in his parents' footsteps and expecting to grift his way into stuff while proclaiming his religious devotion rather than earning his own keep.

That sounds super familiar.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Everyone's favorite Christian Rapper and Duggar friend Flame is about to get paid.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/29/katy-perry-loses-verdict-copyright-infringement-trial-dark-horse/

Good for him.  It was the luckiest day of his life when Katy Perry wrote/plagiarized that song.  He's going to make far more money in royalties from Dark Horse than he has made in his entire career as a Christian rapper.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 22
22 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

I sent them a tweet as well and got the EXACT message back from them.  

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I mentioned the camp in my post. 😀

56 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I mentioned the camp in my post. 😀

Yes, I know, but you said Tim worked there but I am pretty sure he volunteered and never got paid.  Which is probably how he got the gig.

• Love 1

LOL, I didn't think of the implications of using the word "work." I worked at a summer camp when I was a teen and sure as hell didn't get paid. If his experience was like mine, he was with a group of older teens who did camp duties during the day and bible study at night with the group after dinner. 

Hated it! 😀

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Tim might not have received a paycheck, but he would get 3 meals a day plus snacks and his own bed in a cabin.  That sounds like a better summer than being stuck in the RV with his parents and siblings. 

For sure.I'm sure Jill and David wouldn't have allowed him to stay home by himself and work a paying job,something he was old enough to do.So that was the next best thing

• Love 2
On 7/29/2019 at 10:20 PM, galaxychaser said:

Maybe he brought them candy? Or played with them? 

Or Jill is lying painting the picture that her kids already love Nathan.

They probably don't get any attention from their parents, and are easily swayed by the smallest of kindnesses/attention on the part of third parties, poor things.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Kristen Nicole Young is the Tacos4Life lady and a friend of Jill's and Jessa's. She just announced she's pregnant with #3 due in Feb./March 2020. 

I take it that the pee stick was still wet.

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, lianau said:

Assuming a due date of March 1st , she'd be  9 weeks and 4 days pregnant  (calculated via a pregnancy ticker site )

When I was pregnant,  I would give the span of two weeks in either side of the due date, since most pregnancies deliver between 38 and 42 weeks. That way if I went a full 42 weeks, I wouldn't have people pestering me about being "overdue", which isn't until after 42 weeks. So, she could be due mid-February, which would put her at almost 12 weeks, around the same time most people considered it safe to announce. 

• Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 12:02 PM, DkNNy79 said:

Everyone's favorite Christian Rapper and Duggar friend Flame is about to get paid.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/29/katy-perry-loses-verdict-copyright-infringement-trial-dark-horse/

This guy makes an excellent case that the claim of meaningful similarity between the songs is completely bogus. So, another highly flawed musical plagiarism verdict. 

But, hey, Perry can afford it and now Flame will probably be able to feed his kids for quite a long time (don't know if he has kids, but anyway...). So not a huge problem, I guess. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

This guy makes an excellent case that the claim of meaningful similarity between the songs is completely bogus. So, another highly flawed musical plagiarism verdict. 

But, hey, Perry can afford it and now Flame will probably be able to feed his kids for quite a long time (don't know if he has kids, but anyway...). So not a huge problem, I guess. 

I'm no music expert, but the two songs don't sound much alike to me.  There are a lot of songs on the radio that sound more like other songs than these two do.

As soon as I heard 'Blurred Lines' back in the day, I immediately thought of Marvin Gaye's 'Got to Give it Up'.  Not so much with these songs.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I'm no music expert, but the two songs don't sound much alike to me.  There are a lot of songs on the radio that sound more like other songs than these two do.

As soon as I heard 'Blurred Lines' back in the day, I immediately thought of Marvin Gaye's 'Got to Give it Up'.  Not so much with these songs.

Yep. Me, too. On these two and with Blurred LInes/Got to Give It Up. 

I would've felt very uncomfortable making this kind of decision as a judge or juror. Maybe they just figured the sued people can afford it, so they'd give this poorer guy the money since he was desperate enough to hear similarities and file the suit. 😀

• Love 1

So, it's been a month since Nurie's courtship was announced and we haven't got an engagement yet.  Seems like it's taking longer than expected, at least longer than Jill probably expected.  Maybe Nathan realized the entire crowd is BSC and is calling it off.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

So, it's been a month since Nurie's courtship was announced and we haven't got an engagement yet.  Seems like it's taking longer than expected, at least longer than Jill probably expected.  Maybe Nathan realized the entire crowd is BSC and is calling it off.

That would be quite a scandal wouldn't it since the courtship was officially announced.  I'm sorry but anyone can smell the crazy off the Rodrigues from miles away.  The Kellers had to have known what they were getting into.

• Love 15

I’m sure Jill is hoping for a rock the size of Gibraltar for Nurie. Which Nurie will then trade for her mama’s ring, the way we’ll trainef girls do. And our Jill will be so shocked and awed when Nurie makes this request. And “Nurie” will claim online that she did this because her parents have the most loving and awesome marriage in the history of marriage, and she hopes by wearing her mana’s ring that that will make her marriage halfway as awesome. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

That would be quite a scandal wouldn't it since the courtship was officially announced.  I'm sorry but anyone can smell the crazy off the Rodrigues from miles away.  The Kellers had to have known what they were getting into.

I don't think Nathan has the option to RUN screaming. Smile

• Love 7