Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)

It was Forrest and Jeb what's his face. Sorry, I tend to shove Confederate generals into the back of my brain. But I remember Jeb, given Him and Kelly named one of their youngest boys for him.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It was Forrest and Jeb what's his face. Sorry, I tend to shove Confederate generals into the back of my brain. But I remember Jeb, given Him and Kelly named one of their youngest boys for him.

Stuart? I didn't realize they had a kid named Jeb, but that makes sense.

Fun (or not so fun) fact: one of my ancestors attended the same college as Stuart before the war. I highly doubt they had anything to do with each other, but I found their names in the same college almanac, and it made me a do a double take. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

To go with Kaci I assume. 

Poor Everly, being the only Paine girl without a place name. Holland is so ugly for a girl. 

They should have gone with Overijssel or Flevoland or 's-Hertogenbosch. 

• LOL 4
On 7/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, ginger90 said:

You shouldn’t be alone with this 🤣

When the blond boy skeleton sings, he looks unsure of whether or not he should also be making the stupid faces.

• LOL 7

I have a friend from the UK, a couple years younger than me, who's Chloé. So it's not unfathomable. I've never seen it spelled like Chlöe, but I'm nowhere near an expert. I must admit that the K spelling annoys me more than it should. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I have a friend from the UK, a couple years younger than me, who's Chloé. So it's not unfathomable. I've never seen it spelled like Chlöe, but I'm nowhere near an expert. I must admit that the K spelling annoys me more than it should. 

Me too...The K makes it look as though it should be pronounced with a sort of guttural/Klingon-y "Kh"  where spelling it with a C seems as though it would almost soften the initial sound - even though it really doesn't in practice, it seems much softer anyway.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

The diaeresis in Chlöe indicates that the vowel combo should not be pronounced as a digraph, but separately. I think it’s legit English. Chloé is legit French. Khloé is just stupid. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

Whoops.

Oh well.  Confederates are all the same to me 😉

Of course, Nathan Bedford Forrest became one of the founding members of the Ku Klux Klan after the Civil War; so I hope most advertisers take into consideration the whole of his oeuvre when deciding whether or not the Bates are the sort of folks they want associated with their products.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Of course, Nathan Bedford Forrest became one of the founding members of the Ku Klux Klan after the Civil War; so I hope most advertisers take into consideration the whole of his oeuvre when deciding whether or not the Bates are the sort of folks they want associated with their products.

Agreed! With Forrest, his issues go well beyond being a Confederate general. I don't blame people for being offended, and I am sure that advertiser would be horrified with the association. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, not you again said:

I thought Chloe was one of those names with the two dots above the "o".  No reason to have that accent mark unless they intend to pronouce her name as Klo-ayyyyye (like Fonzie).  Or am I wrong?  Someone with more knowledge will hopefully come forward.

Full disclosure:  I've never watched the K's and have no idea how they pronounce the name.  But I do know they're shallow and stupid. ha!

Not that spelling matters, because a certain class of people want to make their children's names speshul.

Whitney confirmed that it's pronounced plain Chloe, accent on the first syllable.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Odd pic.

Good God!!! It's got to get really tiresome clutching one's groin 24-7 to let the world know that a precious blessing is on the way.  She looks like she has to pee.

• LOL 19
  • Love 5

I severely gave birth to two HUGE children blessings from the lort. Via natural cesarean, of course. Attempted at home but I couldn’t make my own first incision (midwife was trying to explain to my husband her qualifications. With neither blessing did I ever even remotely entertain the desire to hold myself like that in public. Except to pee, because both kids liked to sit on my bladder and I had to lift up my belly to go. 😂  So I agree with whomever said they look like they have to pee. 

• LOL 21
  • Love 3
(edited)

Does Whitney think an umlaut is decorative? And you know they're going to ask her about it in TH. Can't wait to hear what she has to say.

Edited by Patricia07
Had another thought.
  • LOL 3

I prefer Chloe with the spelling. Khloe with a K is also fairly popular though. Chloe with a C is #25 in the US and Khloe with a K is #135 in the US. (No idea how umlauts and accent marks affect popularity.)

I like the combo Khloe Eileen together. 

The name makes me want to sing....

“Too rah loo rah, too rah loo rah aaaaa.....Khloe Eileen Oh, I swear (what he means).  At this moment, you mean everything”

I need a life!

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

The Rodriguez saved 11 souls and passed out 1600 tracts! Whoever said David got dead eyes is correct .

😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

They printed all those tracts to pass out themselves? I thought the purpose of the printing business was to earn money to pay the bills and buy food for the kids. 

• Love 6

How do they count "souls saved"? Is it everyone who actually made eye contact when they received a tract? Or anyone who spoke to them and wasn't hostile?

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
(edited)

11 out of 1600 tracts is a 0.6875% rate. That's slightly more than 1/2 of 1% ... which is basically a failure.

Maybe it's a good thing they don't work in corporate America where there are (admittedly stupid and useless) metrics to meet because most people would consider those kinds of numbers a giant waste of time. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, McManda said:

11 out of 1600 tracts is a 0.6875% rate. That's slightly more than 1/2 of 1% ... which is basically a failure.

Maybe it's a good thing they don't work in corporate America where there are (admittedly stupid and useless) metrics to meet because most people would consider those kinds of numbers a giant waste of time. 

I have a feeling more people are saved who DON'T encounter the Rodriguii and their tracts.  I'd like to see the stats on that.

• LOL 15
  • Love 5
On 7/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Seems like it. Complete with accent mark.

The accent mark makes it more Klassy. At least there is an H, wasn't there a fundie who named their kid Kloe?I swear I remember that from way back when I hung at Free Jinger(my laptop hates that site for some reason so I'm not on there nearly as much as I used to)

On 7/26/2019 at 3:36 AM, kokapetl said:

They should have gone with Overijssel or Flevoland or 's-Hertogenbosch. 

Personally I'm very fond of 's-Gravenhage or Scheveningen.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

What's with David's left eye in that photo? I think he has a wonky eye, but does it always look like a giant cataract? 

They just look emotionless. Like someone said, dead inside. He smiles with lips but not eyes. This is not a happy man. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

They just look emotionless. Like someone said, dead inside. He smiles with lips but not eyes. This is not a happy man. 

Between the gap in his front teeth and the dark circles under his eyes, he looks eerily like he's recently been in some type of bar fight.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

This is not a happy man. 

He has chosen his unhappiness and he has forced that unhappiness on his children, who did ask to live a life of poverty, hunger and ignorance. It may be that his batshit crazy wife is driving the family agenda, but he is a willing participant.

• Love 14
On 7/19/2019 at 5:35 PM, Temperance said:

Josie Bates Balka had her baby today! Willow Kristy Balka was born this morning! 

The name Willow Balka made me think of that favorite shampoo of the 70s (along with Flex), Wella Balsam.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
On 7/22/2019 at 7:37 PM, ginger90 said:

You shouldn’t be alone with this 🤣

I am amused that at the end, it sounds as though they are singing "lort" instead of "lord'.

I opened this video with very low expectations, and they did not meet them. Those poor boys look like they want to be anywhere else.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

I am amused that at the end, it sounds as though they are singing "lort" instead of "lord'.

I opened this video with very low expectations, and they did not meet them. Those poor boys look like they want to be anywhere else.

So little talent, such loud voices.  They seem to be shouting more than singing.  Combined with the Halloween-ready makeup on all the women and the generally unhealthy appearance of the kids; it could be a parody of a Gospel group.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

Just yesterday, I found a religious tract someone had left on my front door.  I glanced at it briefly, just long enough to make sure it wasn't something important, and then tore it up and threw it away.  

Later, when walking my dog, I was both amused and annoyed when I saw how many of those tracts were littering yards and the street.  What a waste of paper and a public nuisance.  Yet, somewhere, there was a group of people proudly proclaiming they had handed out so many tracts that day.

I'm no biblical scholar, but I don't know of any references in the Bible about handing out tracts as a way to make new believers.  Again, I'm no scholar, but I seem to remember that the Bible instructs us not to make a big public deal about good works.  Posting on social media would seem to contradict that in a major way.  Although upon further thought, it probably doesn't because annoying people and creating waste probably isn't a good work.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Just yesterday, I found a religious tract someone had left on my front door.  I glanced at it briefly, just long enough to make sure it wasn't something important, and then tore it up and threw it away.  

Later, when walking my dog, I was both amused and annoyed when I saw how many of those tracts were littering yards and the street.  What a waste of paper and a public nuisance.  Yet, somewhere, there was a group of people proudly proclaiming they had handed out so many tracts that day.

I'm no biblical scholar, but I don't know of any references in the Bible about handing out tracts as a way to make new believers.  Again, I'm no scholar, but I seem to remember that the Bible instructs us not to make a big public deal about good works.  Posting on social media would seem to contradict that in a major way.  Although upon further thought, it probably doesn't because annoying people and creating waste probably isn't a good work.

Since there weren't printing presses back in Biblical times and everything that was written was done by hand on parchment, I don't think the authors of the Bible mentioned tracts.  I went to the Holy Land just last month and saw some of the original Dead Sea scrolls. they're a little too big to slip under someone's door.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, BradandJanet said:

They printed all those tracts to pass out themselves? I thought the purpose of the printing business was to earn money to pay the bills and buy food for the kids. 

I'm fairly certain the purpose of that printing business is to maintain the ruse of their "ministry" in order to cling on to their sweet tax-exempt lifestyle.

I'd actually be shocked if they even god-bothered people at all. Just throw up a few pics on IG, claim they did, and be done with their day. They're grifters. That's what grifters do.

5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Since there weren't printing presses back in Biblical times and everything that was written was done by hand on parchment, I don't think the authors of the Bible mentioned tracts.  I went to the Holy Land just last month and saw some of the original Dead Sea scrolls. they're a little too big to slip under someone's door.

Well, they could have used the dinosaurs to carry the Dead Sea scroll tracts and god bother people.  

Seriously, that's so cool that you actually saw them.  I never thought about them being large.  It's nice to know I can learn something while snarking!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

No engagement announcement yet.

The whole world would have known as Jill would be singing in the streets, "I'm going to be a Duggar, err I mean Nuri is engaged to a very nice Godly boy."

• LOL 9
3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I'm fairly certain the purpose of that printing business is to maintain the ruse of their "ministry" in order to cling on to their sweet tax-exempt lifestyle.

I'd actually be shocked if they even god-bothered people at all. Just throw up a few pics on IG, claim they did, and be done with their day. They're grifters. That's what grifters do.

David has enough dependents that I don't think he and Jill are paying any income taxes either state or federal.   I don't think they can count their residence as a place of worship,  so property taxes are probably the only ones they have to pay.

• Love 4