Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, SMama said:

Do you have a link for pics? I can’t find them on her Instagram.

IMHO Lawson is desperate for attention, not for a girlfriend. When Nathan asked Ashley to court, Lawson commented on the cowboy boots Nathan bought as a gift. He said that is why he wasn’t interested, because it would cost him money. Plus he’s very invested in his non existent singing career. 

It looks like she scrubbed them and John’s is now private. Maybe she got serious backlash from the “Christians?”

• Love 5
1 minute ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

It looks like she scrubbed them and John’s is now private. Maybe she got serious backlash from the “Christians?”

It wouldn't surprise me. She caught hell for wearing a sleeveless dress to church. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, louannems said:

After yesterday's discussion about thinning hair of Jessa and Jinger, I'm now getting lots of ads for best shampoo for thinning hair. I never commented on it but I guess the internet knows all!

Isn't this weird & the ads pop up so quickly.  Big Brother definitely watching. 

With all the talk about breakfast items for JD's wedding reception, we should all be getting ads for milk & waffles.  Or cream of chicken soup ads from Jill's recipes.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Is chromosome 21 more prone to these anomalies, or are these anomalies just more survivable with this chromosome?

More survivable.  Most trisomies (3 copies of a chromosome instead of the usual 2) are lethal and result in a miscarriage or stillbirth.  There are a couple of other trisomies, 13 and 18 being most common, that can result in a live birth, but those children tend to die in infancy and are severely developmentally handicapped.  Occasionally one of those kids will survive longer, but it is a rarity.  I have a friend whose daughter has trisomy 13 and she is now 7 years old; she doesn't walk, doesn't speak, has visual issues and a severe seizure disorder.  She will need care for the rest of her life as there is no chance she will ever be able to feed herself, use the toilet, dress herself.  She's a beautiful little girl, though, and her parents love her so much and are profoundly grateful for the time they've had with her.

As far as Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), only about 10% of conceptions with it will continue to a live birth.  Most conceptions with Down result in a miscarriage or stillbirth.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

This is interesting. My son and his daughter have abnormalities with their 18 & 19 chromosomes, but I'm not sure what the issue is. My newborn grandson has issues with his internal organs that may be due to chromosome abnormalities, but they won't find out about the genetic testing until January.

I’m so thankful your son and granddaughter’s abnormalities seem mild! DNA is so very fascinating, isn’t it?

Good luck to your grandson with his genetic testing. It’s never easy hearing something “just isn’t quite right” - I hope whatever the issue is, he can have quality of life!

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have a family member with an 18th chromosome issue. This child has surpassed what was expected that could be done and already beat the projected life expectancy. 

That’s amazing! When I was pregnant, before we had our test results back, we had done so much research on Trisomy 13, 18, and 21. We really didn’t know what to do if she would have had the first two and we felt we hit the lottery with Trisomy 21. “Typical” baby wasn’t an option so Down Syndrome seemed like the lesser of the evils.

Im so glad to hear about your family member, the more we learn about various abnormalities and the further we come in the medical world, there is really no telling what “normal” will be with abnormalities! 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

More survivable.  Most trisomies (3 copies of a chromosome instead of the usual 2) are lethal and result in a miscarriage or stillbirth.  There are a couple of other trisomies, 13 and 18 being most common, that can result in a live birth, but those children tend to die in infancy and are severely developmentally handicapped.  Occasionally one of those kids will survive longer, but it is a rarity.  I have a friend whose daughter has trisomy 13 and she is now 7 years old; she doesn't walk, doesn't speak, has visual issues and a severe seizure disorder.  She will need care for the rest of her life as there is no chance she will ever be able to feed herself, use the toilet, dress herself.  She's a beautiful little girl, though, and her parents love her so much and are profoundly grateful for the time they've had with her.

As far as Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), only about 10% of conceptions with it will continue to a live birth.  Most conceptions with Down result in a miscarriage or stillbirth.

I know a girl with 18q- who died this week at the age of 15. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

You'd think more of them would do it *cough*JillRod*cough* since you know, it's free.

Hee! JillRod would probably write a blog post with random capitalized words saying that since her children love her so much and think she is the best mama ever that they gave all their candy to her.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, graefin said:

The problem with Lawson is that he's good looking and he knows it. People say Jeremy is vain, but I'd say Lawson surpasses him easily by several miles. And he's about as good a singer as the Duggars are violinists.

Ah, I get it!  It's hard for people that think they are all that, to imagine that anyone is worthy of their attention.  That kind of narcissism is so easy to snark on.  I do it often on the Sister Wives forum.  I remember reading that a big reason Burt Reynolds & Loni Anderson couldn't make a go of it was because they were "fighting for the mirror."

I've only seen the Bates family show a couple of times.  LOL at Duggar violinists.  I've seen clips of that.

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Erin is definitely princess-y, but she's pretty funny as well.

A sense of humor is a huge plus.  The ability of a couple being able to make each other laugh is priceless.  To make others laugh too?  Off the charts great.

• Love 2

Jill posted a video that started out as a family gathering for dinner, and quickly became a Plexus commercial. The kids all waited for at least the 10 minute video before they could eat. Besides a gallon of milk, this was the food on the table, plus a picture of the Plexus vitamins she had each child take on camera.

84A90635-6BA0-4E83-8CB9-ED34E66A447A.jpeg

Won’t let me upload vitamin pic. It’s Plexus XFactor Kids, and she states they are way better than Flintstones vitamins!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jill posted a video that started out as a family gathering for dinner, and quickly became a Plexus commercial. The kids all waited for at least the 10 minute video before they could eat. Besides a gallon of milk, this was the food on the table, plus a picture of the Plexus vitamins she had each child take on camera.

Won’t let me upload vitamin pic. It’s Plexus XFactor Kids, and she states they are way better than Flintstones vitamins!

I couldn't stomach the entire thing, but it cracked me up when she was talking about how delicious the vitamins were, and said she was going to prove it by giving each of her kids their daily dose. The vitamin jar was duly passed around the table, and when each child had theirs, the entire group simultaneously popped them in their mouths, followed by a resounding (if somewhat less than spontaneously enthusiastic) chorus of yummy noises. 

I'm surprised she didn't save them for dessert to make them sound even more delicious.

• Love 10

My mother-in-law was big into vitamins in the 50's.  Cod liver oil, the whole bit.  Mr. Xword said his mom would lay out a small plate every morning for each kid to ingest.  He would usually find a way to sneak his into his bedroom and pitch them out the window.  The plants outside thrived on this unexpected bonus.  MIL never discovered the reason for the unexpected growth.  However, everyone grew up well-fed, and never had to fast or go hungry.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The vitamin jar was duly passed around the table, and when each child had theirs, the entire group simultaneously popped them in their mouths, followed by a resounding (if somewhat less than spontaneously enthusiastic) chorus of yummy noises. 

Jim Jones flashbacks anyone? 

• Love 15

How Is this enough food for 13 people?!?  Seriously???  I make that much for my family and there are now five of us (no baby, relative came to live with us).  

I’m sure the pecking order for dinner dictates who gets fed first:

Shrek

Of Shrek

youngest kids

middle kids

Nurie

Based on this picture the oldest kids don’t fast by choice. They eat if there’s anything left. 

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, SMama said:

Jim Jones flashbacks anyone? 

One of the Jonestown survivors has just come out with a book and her story is fascinating. Congresswoman Jackie Speier. The title of the book is Undaunted. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

I don't have an Instagram account, but I just went to John Webster's page.  I can see all the posts and pictures fine.  But no trick or treat photo.  It's sad if they were pressured to remove it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, louannems said:

I don't have an Instagram account, but I just went to John Webster's page.  I can see all the posts and pictures fine.  But no trick or treat photo.  It's sad if they were pressured to remove it.

They were in his stories. Those disappear in 24 hours.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, louannems said:

John and Alyssa each have a public and a private account.

Is that platter meant for the entire family to share, including the parents? Surely there must be another one? Based on David's girth, I would guess he'd eat the entire thing by himself. Even if not, each kid would get, what? One potato and carrot each?

Edited by graefin
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, graefin said:

John and Alyssa each have a public and a private account.

Is that platter meant for the entire family to share, including the parents? Surely there must be another one? Based on David's girth, I would guess he'd eat the entire thing by himself. Even if not, each kid would get, what? One potato and carrot each?

Shit, those are carrots? I thought they were microwaved hot dogs.

• Love 5

That platter was the only one shown, and she panned 2 tables in the video. She also said they were going to extend the dining room through the sliding doors. That doesn’t put more food on the table, just gives them more room. ?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, graefin said:

Oops, they could be! I think my vegan brain naturally sees vegetables ;)

28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My eyes saw them as those cheap canned Vienna sausages. Whatever it was it looked to be over cooked and lacking in nutritional value. This saddens me. 

No, they are actually carrots and potatoes - she talks about how much her kids love them. And there do seem to be fractionally more of them on the plate than it appears from that angle. There does seem to be very little meat though. I doubt there's enough for each kid to get more than a couple of ounces at best, especially after Shrek gets his share. Which wouldn't even be that bad if there was any other source of protein, but there's not. And judging by the look of the carrots and potatoes, any nutrition from those was long since boiled away. But hey, they get their  Plexus vitamins, so no worries!

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I went back to get a better picture of the “platter”. The video post has been taken down, or she made it private.

I guess we weren’t the only ones judging what was on that platter. I’d be ashamed to put that mess in front of my family. Do these children even go to a pediatrician? Even if they are only going for vaccinations, I’m sure any health professional would question their weight. Slapping myself on the head. They don’t attend public school so there’s nothing or no one to hold them accountable for standards in child healthcare. 

My only hope is that they can attend a church pancake breakfast so the kids actually can feel what a full belly feels like. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

That platter was the only one shown, and she panned 2 tables in the video. She also said they were going to extend the dining room through the sliding doors. That doesn’t put more food on the table, just gives them more room. ?

OK, I've lost track of how many kids are in that family, and I guess at least one of them is an infant, so too young to eat solids? But I counted maybe 13-15 potatoes and carrots in each pile? Shit, I'd eat about half of those veggies in one sitting, and my BMI is in the "normal" range. With David sitting at that table, it's no wonder those children look the way they do. What kind of parent wouldn't feed their kids before themselves? Selfish losers.

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, graefin said:

OK, I've lost track of how many kids are in that family, and I guess at least one of them is an infant, so too young to eat solids? But I counted maybe 13-15 potatoes and carrots in each pile? Shit, I'd eat about half of those veggies in one sitting, and my BMI is in the "normal" range. With David sitting at that table, it's no wonder those children look the way they do. What kind of parent wouldn't feed their kids before themselves? Selfish losers.

There are 13 kids total.  The oldest boy, Tim, is out west at missionary aviation school while the youngest was born last spring.  So, that food was meant to feed 11 kids and 2 parents.  Besides Nurie, there are at least 2 other kids who should be eating adult sized portions not to mention several teen boys who tend to have pretty big appetites.  Looking at that plate, I think there is maybe enough vegetables to feed around 4-5 adults presuming they also get a serving of meat.  Enough food for 13 people, at least 5 of them adults?  No way.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

One of the Jonestown survivors has just come out with a book and her story is fascinating. Congresswoman Jackie Speier. The title of the book is Undaunted. 

I have a hold on it and the library. Can't wait to read it. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do these children even go to a pediatrician? Even if they are only going for vaccinations...

Do we know if these kids have ever been vaccinated? It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Jill is an anti-vaxxer, partly because she's see vaccines as a dangerous plot by the evil Godless liberals and partly because she's just too cheap and lazy to bother.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Do we know if these kids have ever been vaccinated? It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Jill is an anti-vaxxer, partly because she's see vaccines as a dangerous plot by the evil Godless liberals and partly because she's just too cheap and lazy to bother.

Seems strange that someone would mistrust vaccinations yet swear by Plexus. I know that we don't have proof that she's an anti-vaxxer, but it would add up because those types always do seem to get caught up in all the big-pharma conspiracy theories and think that anything not approved by them is the miracle cure-all, while the approved drugs are just out there to keep us sick enough to keep buying them. I wonder whether she thinks the Earth is flat as well. If she does, then I suppose at least Timmy might be able to sort her out if he gets through pilot school.

Speaking of pilot school, my Marine son in Pensacola didn't manage to pass his flight test. Although he basically did everything right, he had a tendency toward test anxiety which they thought might translate to his making a poor decision under stress. They only give them 12 hours in the air before the first test, so he figures that maybe, since he has all that time put into it already, he might go for a private pilot's license on the side, just as something to have. Anyway, there are plenty of other things he can do in the Marines, and the whole pilot thing wasn't what he originally had planned for, just something they thought he might have the aptitude for. Which he does, other than the test anxiety. But he has months of classroom and simulator training, plus all his required hours in the air, so it shouldn't take all that much to finish it up. Not sure how much a private flight test would cost. 

But I digress...muchly.

Not even sure how to wend back on topic, so I guess I'll just stop now.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Kbo said:

Alyssa looked like she might be pregnant at Josie’s wedding, and she looks like it here too. I had honestly forgotten about the speculation but when I zoomed in to look at the girls it’s hard to miss. 

Jesus, for a girl that didn't want  a lot of kids she sure is moving fast to have as many as God gives them!

• Love 7
On 11/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, ginger90 said:

So each child got 1/4 of a potato, 1/2 a carrot, 1 bite of roast (?), and a vitamin.  No wonder they look like concentration camp victims.

• Love 11

Ok so I follow a fundie-critical group on FB. Jill’s dinner was a topic of discussion. Someone mentioned that this was not enough food for the kids. Another person replied that the food on the table looked adequate according to USDA guidelines.  I’m sure it may be in theory, but really, that’s just not a whole lot. I’m not obese. However if I ate according to those guidelines I would still be starving after a meal.  I can easily eat an entire box of Kraft Deluxe max and cheese without being overly full. I’m very active and my metabolism allows me to do that. If I ate according to “guidelines”, I would look emaciated. And it seems as if the Rodriguii offspring are fairly active too. So if they are getting “recommended” sized portions, it may not be enough for them.  Hence, their hollowed-out look. 

So why doesn’t Jill see this isn’t enough for their kids?

• Love 5

What's that stuff between the potatoes and the carrots, the mushy beige stuff with the kitchen tongs partially embedded in it? 

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I have hoped against hope that there were extra bowls of the meal in a warming oven. 

I'd let go of hope on that one. There's no reason not to put everything on the table with so many people to feed unless Jill is hiding extra food for David, who's clearly not living on those rations. Does Plexus Jill strike anyone as the type to even have a warming oven?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Ok so I follow a fundie-critical group on FB. Jill’s dinner was a topic of discussion. Someone mentioned that this was not enough food for the kids. Another person replied that the food on the table looked adequate according to USDA guidelines.  I’m sure it may be in theory, but really, that’s just not a whole lot. I’m not obese. However if I ate according to those guidelines I would still be starving after a meal.  I can easily eat an entire box of Kraft Deluxe max and cheese without being overly full. I’m very active and my metabolism allows me to do that. If I ate according to “guidelines”, I would look emaciated. And it seems as if the Rodriguii offspring are fairly active too. So if they are getting “recommended” sized portions, it may not be enough for them.  Hence, their hollowed-out look. 

So why doesn’t Jill see this isn’t enough for their kids?

Because she doesn't give a flying fuck about anyone but herself and her stupid husband? And because she's an idiot with no sense whatsoever? 

• Love 14

I mean, we once saw her chug half a glass of coconut milk smacking her lips happily without any thought to her kids.  Then each of the 87 kids got a sip of her backwashed leftovers.  I bet the parents shovel half that platter onto their plates and then pass the rest around.

• Love 8