Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

This looks like something I would do if I was seated next to him or one of the Duggars. I love the scene in the airport also.

Iconic scene! LMAO!

Pity that Antonio wasn't overbooked on a United flight...he would have preferred that treatment. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

This looks like something I would do if I was seated next to him or one of the Duggars. I love the scene in the airport also.

Perfect! You just made my day.

10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The guy looks less than thrilled. 

You PRAYED TO GOD that the PERSON WHO SITS NEXT TO YOU ON THE PLANE would be down with hearing you PREACH for the entire flight? WOW. Healthy priorities as always. I would love to sit next to one of these idiots on a plane and have them try to 'convert' me. They'd probably call TSA on me for not understanding what a massive favor they were doing me. Also "Salvation" is not a proper noun! WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP TAKING LIBERTIES WITH THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT YOU ARE FAR TOO STUPID TO TAKE, PLEASE.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 17

Would David witness to a female though? Granted they would be surrounded by other people on a plane, but I have the impression that the men aren't really supposed to be talking to women whom they aren't married or related to in a one-on-one conversation.

I was once witnessed at on a 3 hour plane ride. I was returning to divinity school from holiday break.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Would David witness to a female though? Granted they would be surrounded by other people on a plane, but I have the impression that the men aren't really supposed to be talking to women whom they aren't married or related to in a one-on-one conversation.

I was once witnessed at on a 3 hour plane ride. I was returning to divinity school from holiday break.

Good point. Plus my everyday aesthetic is pretty defrauding.

• Love 3

Collar bones, knees, shoulders, CLEAVAGE. Not that that would affect TFDW. I think Antonio was right in his wheelhouse. But still, it would be very untoward to condescend to speak to someone so clearly an agent of Satan.

6 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I hope you told them that!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

What does being witnessed mean? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

What does being witnessed mean? 

Being asked if I accepted Jesus as my savior and then being told all about God, Jesus, living a righteous life, etc. Basically telling me all about the awesomeness of their brand of Christianity and how it was the only way I wasn't going to burn in hell. For all I know she's still praying for me.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Being asked if I accepted Jesus as my savior and then being told all about God, Jesus, living a righteous life, etc. Basically telling me all about the awesomeness of their brand of Christianity and how it was the only way I wasn't going to burn in hell. For all I know she's still praying for me.

"I'm praying for you" is the Jesusy version of "Bless your heart." 

• Love 13
11 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I remarked earlier that I would be either requesting to be moved or lose my mind on this dude.  BUT, last night I was thinking IF I knew this was David, knowing me, I would probably start laughing and saying OMG!  Its the Pecan Thief!  And then hounded him for dirt.  Constantly.  I think he would end up being asked to move.  Problem solved.  

• Love 13
On 4/14/2017 at 4:25 AM, lookeyloo said:

We are at the airport waiting to board a cross country flight. No David Waller around but if there were my earphones and sleep mask would go on pretty darn quick!!!

If I was stuck sitting next to TFDW, I would have my iPod and earbuds handy playing my Metallica playlist just to piss him off haha.

7 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

God bothering.

That's my dad's term for these kinds of people.

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I thought "being witnessed" meant they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Do these people not get it, there is a reason Google was invented. I hate it when these people want to force their religion down your throat in your own home. BTW, I just tell them that we are about to go to a Birthday Party where we are going to plan Christmas (once again my Dad's words).

• Love 3

I wonder how Dave starts a conversation with these unknowing plane seat neighbors.  Usually you smile and greet  the person when you first sit down & may make small talk.  Does he start with "are you saved?" or something similar?  Did Dave have to hold the baby or one of the other kids while saving Antonio or did Pris have to entertain all three of them?  Can you imagine having to be on a long flight being next to this family with three young children and then realize they want to save & convert you too? I think I would rather sit in the lavatory.  (Nothing against families that travel with children.)

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I wonder how Dave starts a conversation with these unknowing plane seat neighbors.  Usually you smile and greet  the person when you first sit down & may make small talk.  Does he start with "are you saved?" or something similar?  Did Dave have to hold the baby or one of the other kids while saving Antonio or did Pris have to entertain all three of them?  Can you imagine having to be on a long flight being next to this family with three young children and then realize they want to save & convert you too? I think I would rather sit in the lavatory.  (Nothing against families that travel with children.)

Well, I seem to be a magnet for these folks for some reason. Maybe atheists' hair sends off a subliminal message to the saved or something. Or maybe it's just because I walk around a lot and, apparently, so do they.

On one particularly memorable occasion I found myself in the middle of about 10 fundie 'missionaries" (all female) on a flight -- they were on the first leg of their trip to India to bother people there -- and, probably for the same reason that people climb mountains, they used me as their pre-India warmup. As I recall one of the ones right next to me, who started the ball rolling, began with what I think is probably the most common opening gambit that I've heard: "Do you know Jesus?" 

I've also gotten "Have you heard the good news?" "Where are you going when you die?" ("Poughkeepsie" is the answer that tempts me on that one.) I don't recall anybody actually saying "Are you saved?" But it's possible someone has. 

I've also been double-teamed by several pairs of Mormons riding bicycles. I don't remember what they say. But a pair on bikes can sort of herd you to a standstill, like cowboys in the Old West. I suppose that's appropriate, because Utah. 

I'd kind of expect DW to use "Do you know Jesus?"

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I'll tell you exactly what happens. I've personally seen it happen over and over and over. We  do summer mission trips to a really poor, rural area of Mexico. The planes from Texas to Mexico are usually full of similar groups from around the country. Matching t-shirts, very excited to do some good, groups varying from home repair to schools to Jill/Derrick type groups fill these planes.

I have to preface by saying our church does support a small Mexican church year round, and took our turn for two weeks each summer running a health clinic and delivering medical supplies. This town had a lot of elderly and widowed women, whose sons/grandsons had gone to the US for work, so they really were in need of basic medical attention. We help some with home repair and have America Hot Dog Dinners every evening. We do a Bible school for kids every evening and had teens to help each other practice English and Spanish or play soccer, basically to give them something to do and so they wouldn't pester us all day while we were doing screenings, vaccinations, etc. (American and Mexican teens can both be equally pester worthy LOL). Our minister and musicians are the guest speakers/singers that Sunday. Our church has gone to the same location for 20 years, so it was great to see some of the kids grow up, be able to finish high school because we helped with tuition and uniforms, start careers and families, etc. 

Anyway.........back to Airplane witnessing. Keep in mind that David Waller's mind is wired to believe that it is his command from Jesus Christ himself to share the gospel to every person on earth. If David doesn't do this, and a person goes to hell because David was too lazy, tired, shy, selfish, etc to inform this person of his sin and help him reconcile with God through Jesus Christ, the burden is on David. He'll have to answer to God for his culpability in equipping this man to go to hell. For eternity. David's mind is wired at this point to think about saving the lost 24/7. It would take some major cognitive behavioral therapy to try to change his thought pattern, if that's even possible, at this point. He cannot do anything else but think we're all doomed unless he shares his form of the Gospel with every person he encounters.

So what I've seen personally, from some total strangers on planes to overzealous teens from our own group, is basically normal small talk with your seat mate. How are you, what's your name, I'm Razzleberry, we're with a group going to repair houses and do a medical clinic. Oh you've just been on a visit to your grandmother? That's great. We're with Church of Razz, do you go to church anywhere? No, we'd love to tell you more about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Oh you're Catholic/nonEvangelical, etc.? A personal relationship with Jesus is more than just being baptized as an infant and going to church on Sundays. Pull out the bible and show a bunch of scripture, make the person question their religious sincerity, then while they're already anxious and agitate from air travel, being trapped in a plane, etc., convince them they're really not right with the Lord until they say this sinner's prayer. 

Also have to add our adults are 'seasoned enough in their walks with the Lord' to make small talk or even have religious/Biblical, etc. conversations if the person is interested or engages in it, know that there are all kinds of people at faith, and everyone is usually firm in their own beliefs, so be sensible enough to not pester or chit chat with anyone who wants to be left alone. We're honestly usually so worn out on the way home, it's more effort to keep some of the kids from going David Waller and irritating people than anything else. Kids do get pumped up when they think they've just pleased God and saved the world by kicking a couple soccer balls. Sometimes adults apparently feel this way and make careers of it, too *cough cough* Jill and Derrick *cough cough*

• Love 14

Antonio looks super familiar to me and it's driving me nuts trying to remember where I know him from. 

I hate proselytizers so much. Apparently I have "Needs Jesus" tattooed on my forehead because I get approached by those twits very often when I'm out by myself. If someone ever tried it on a plane when I can't escape, I'd create the kind of scene that would get my non-white ass arrested. Fuck those people. 

• Love 9

This reminds me of my crazy-ass mother-in-law who church hops. She's brought some pretty eccentric "religious" people into our orbit. We have very limited contact with her for this and many other reasons. 

Anyway, when MIL's mom died, MIL hired a local cable-access tv preacher to hold the services as MIL was between churches. This nut job preacher held an evangelical altar call during a wake. He counted everyone in attendance as having been "saved" while attending this wake prayer service. He physically counted and wrote down the count, commenting to me that it was a pretty successful evening. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

In all the instances I've been God bothered at home or in public, I simply smile and reply "yup" to the question 'Do you know Jesus?'. Incredibly, it shuts them down every time. No further pushing, preaching or blabbing on and on. And I'm not lying either, I've known several Spanish men named Jesus over the years. Even broke bread with a few lol

Well, shit, why didn't I think of this? Great response!!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, I seem to be a magnet for these folks for some reason. Maybe atheists' hair sends off a subliminal message to the saved or something. Or maybe it's just because I walk around a lot and, apparently, so do they.

On one particularly memorable occasion I found myself in the middle of about 10 fundie 'missionaries" (all female) on a flight -- they were on the first leg of their trip to India to bother people there -- and, probably for the same reason that people climb mountains, they used me as their pre-India warmup. As I recall one of the ones right next to me, who started the ball rolling, began with what I think is probably the most common opening gambit that I've heard: "Do you know Jesus?" 

I've also gotten "Have you heard the good news?" "Where are you going when you die?" ("Poughkeepsie" is the answer that tempts me on that one.) I don't recall anybody actually saying "Are you saved?" But it's possible someone has. 

I've also been double-teamed by several pairs of Mormons riding bicycles. I don't remember what they say. But a pair on bikes can sort of herd you to a standstill, like cowboys in the Old West. I suppose that's appropriate, because Utah. 

I'd kind of expect DW to use "Do you know Jesus?"

I kinda would be tempted to say:  Of course!  Jesus Smith lived right next door to me!  Or are you referring to Jesus Thompson?  Not that one either?  I know a Jesus (Haysoos) but you didn't pronounce his name correctly so you can't be talking about him.  Let me call the Scientology headquarters and see if anyone there knows him there.  

I dated a man once who was far too old for me in my opinion at the time (I was 21 he was 36) and he was a recovering cocaine addict/alcoholic and a born again.  I must have taken leave of my senses as clearly he was not for me (he was cute though).  I discovered that so one night he was coming over for dinner and I left out a copy of the Satanic Bible (yes I really did have a copy so I could see what it was about, not that I was interested in joining!) and various ghost books as a passive aggressive way to stop seeing him.  Yep, that worked.  He told me that we clearly didn't have things in common and it was best we stopped seeing each other.  Apparently my choice in books also freaked out the best man at my wedding.  So I like to read a wide range of topics, whats the big deal??!!

• Love 8

Natalie68, you get a pass because you were 21 and he was cute. When I was 16 I had a boyfriend who actually was a devil worshipper, and this naive Catholic school girl was too stoopid to see it! Oh, to be young! 

• Love 1

Paul is cute in his little Mafia Don suit, but it's hard to run and hunt eggs in that get up. My FIL - who is also of Scicilian descent and wears a pinky ring - has one just like it. We think he's deliberately trying to look like he's in the mob. He's an engineer. He says there's no such thing as the mob. LOL

Seriously, Paul is cute, and that's pretty much what all kids that age learn at Easter. Jesus died and rose from the dead. It's kind of the whole point of Easter. 

The one above of David and Priscilla. *SIGH* same ole, same ole. He appears condescending and like he's seething underneath, just waiting for the opportunity to correct someone, and she appears confused, struggling to piece her key words together, and terrified she's going to mess up. Bless their hearts. 

• Love 9

I seriously doubt they have Easter egg hunts. 

My point about Paul was more about his salvation (remember, TFDW claims he was saved at age 3). He's just parroting what he's been coached to say at this stage of development; no way he understands. 

And Prissy? She parroted what TFDW had just said. No original thought.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think the kids each just got ONE egg! And then were subjected to the lecture. It wasn't even f'ing candy! 

The expression on the faces of the children who got the nails and empty egg made me sad.

On 4/13/2017 at 10:34 PM, BitterApple said:

Antonio has a look on his face that says "Dammit! I should've replied "no hablo Inglés" when he asked me if I'd found Jesus."   

Yeah, that's what gets me... I mean, David doesn't actually believe he got through to Antonio in any way, shape, or form other than annoyance, can he?  If you were a person whose faith was lazy and was reawakened, or whatever David's narrative is, wouldn't you be beaming ear-to-ear with uncontrollable delight?? Antonio is about as far from delighted as anyone I've ever seen.

I devoutly hope David had a source of Easter candy elsewhere and just didn't include any in the eggs, because he hoped the children would be listening instead of focused on eating the candy, 'cuz the latter is just mean.

• Love 1

We've used that same story and same set of eggs in childrens' church for kids more around Kindergarten level. Kids who are old enough to be able to sit in a circle and listen to stories, have enough patience to wait and open their eggs at the right moment, etc. They seemed to think it was enjoyable. Not too effective for toddlers in diapers who just want to pick up eggs.

For all the emphasis these people place on babies, children, homeschooling, etc., they really are clueless as to what is age appropriate, or situationally appropriate. All those toddlers are capable of thinking, while they're outside, running in a field, during an egg hunt, is GET THE EGGS. Put them in the basket. Oh look, it cracks open. He opened his egg. I MUST OPEN MINE NOW. Why is this man looking at a book we can't see, we can't really hear him. Oh look, more eggs. A butterfly. Yeah, repeat what he says. I WANT TO PLAY. Why is there a toy rope in here? That's no fun. Why did he take my toy donkey? Oh look, pieces of silver, those look like something I should try to put in my mouth and swallow. Maybe put up my nose. 

I'm sure the intention was good, but this wasn't the right setting or age group for this lesson. I do appreciate David correcting *gasp, I know!* the guy reading who kept saying Judas betrayed Our Lord and Savior for 12 pieces of silver. THIRTY PIECES. I'm sure he's a dedicated Bible scholar, though. THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER. That's pretty basic New Testament and Easter key points. That guy would suck at the Bible category on Jeopardy.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

We've used that same story and same set of eggs in childrens' church for kids more around Kindergarten level. Kids who are old enough to be able to sit in a circle and listen to stories, have enough patience to wait and open their eggs at the right moment, etc. They seemed to think it was enjoyable. Not too effective for toddlers in diapers who just want to pick up eggs.

For all the emphasis these people place on babies, children, homeschooling, etc., they really are clueless as to what is age appropriate, or situationally appropriate. All those toddlers are capable of thinking, while they're outside, running in a field, during an egg hunt, is GET THE EGGS. Put them in the basket. Oh look, it cracks open. He opened his egg. I MUST OPEN MINE NOW. Why is this man looking at a book we can't see, we can't really hear him. Oh look, more eggs. A butterfly. Yeah, repeat what he says. I WANT TO PLAY. Why is there a toy rope in here? That's no fun. Why did he take my toy donkey? Oh look, pieces of silver, those look like something I should try to put in my mouth and swallow. Maybe put up my nose. 

I'm sure the intention was good, but this wasn't the right setting or age group for this lesson. I do appreciate David correcting *gasp, I know!* the guy reading who kept saying Judas betrayed Our Lord and Savior for 12 pieces of silver. THIRTY PIECES. I'm sure he's a dedicated Bible scholar, though. THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER. That's pretty basic New Testament and Easter key points. That guy would suck at the Bible category on Jeopardy.

This x 1000!

• Love 3

Between David W and Jill & Derick I'm starting to think that saving people stories are equivalent to folks who like to fish and their stories.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 16