Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Was John Shrader ever IBLP?  I don't consider Esther one of their rebellious kids. Esther is still a good IFB helpmeet.  Actually it occurs to me that Jill's family probably reminds the Kellers of Esther and her family.

I don't think John Shrader was ever a Gothardite. He's always been dependant on his IFB preacher father for financial backing. I am 99.9% sure that Pa Shrader has never been affiliated with Bill Gothard. As I noted above, I only consider Esther a "rebel" because she left Gothardism when she married Shrader. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't think John Shrader was ever a Gothardite. He's always been dependant on his IFB preacher father for financial backing. I am 99.9% sure that Pa Shrader has never been affiliated with Bill Gothard. As I noted above, I only consider Esther a "rebel" because she left Gothardism when she married Shrader. 

She may have left GotHardism, but she just moved next door. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

I cannot believe jill’s Eyeliner is thicker than before!  I can’t see how that level of making oneself up can be considered godly, and it’s hard to imagine the fundie ladies they visit see loads of makeup as pleasing to the lord either. 

There was one pic where the girls didn’t have on makeup and looked natural- unrecognizable!  I wish we could see more of their real selves.  

Mrs Sackett of the fancy house wears pants!  😮

the Keller boys are super dorky  yes,  what do they do for work? (If anything- prison ministry?  Tract printing?)

one of the girls’ incredibly sad sparkly JESUS hat.  Oh my.  

Edited by awaken
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

Rabbittron: Thank you for that link. It was very nice of you and I appreciate it very much.

Does anyone think that there is matchmaking goin on with Anna's brothers and those two older Rodriguez girls?

It is very odd that Anna's brothers are STILL single and living in that trailer with their parents. Does anyone know what those two men are trained to do for work?

You're welcome enjoy.

• Love 3

The Kellers have married one daughter off to a Duggar (albeit, the Satan-tempted one) and another off to a Waller.  They have higher hopes for the boys than the Rodrigues girls.  I think Pa Keller is holding onto them until someone more suitable, like Johanna Duggar, comes of age.   And as awful as John Shrader (Esther Keller's husband) is - in the fundie world, he's a MISSIONARY.   

Incidentally, John Shrader has a public Facebook page and it's interesting reading.  If you can tolerate the videos, they're a hoot.  He's adopted a fake Zambian accent and he uses it when he preaches.  I honestly don't know how the Zambians tolerate him.  He's "converted" a few people that ending up turning against him and the government has investigated him over illegal activities.  My belief is that the only reason he's still there is that his father's congregation keeps sending him money to keep him at a distance.

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, NotFundie said:

The Kellers have married one daughter off to a Duggar (albeit, the Satan-tempted one) and another off to a Waller.  They have higher hopes for the boys than the Rodrigues girls.  I think Pa Keller is holding onto them until someone more suitable, like Johanna Duggar, comes of age.   And as awful as John Shrader (Esther Keller's husband) is - in the fundie world, he's a MISSIONARY.   

Incidentally, John Shrader has a public Facebook page and it's interesting reading.  If you can tolerate the videos, they're a hoot.  He's adopted a fake Zambian accent and he uses it when he preaches.  I honestly don't know how the Zambians tolerate him.  He's "converted" a few people that ending up turning against him and the government has investigated him over illegal activities.  My belief is that the only reason he's still there is that his father's congregation keeps sending him money to keep him at a distance.

John Shrader also a preacher's son and I believe his father has legit creditentials to be a preacher. John mainly writes bad poetry and he's somewhat of a shady character. I think the Kellers were happy with Esther and John as a match and probably approved of him.  They also seemed happy when Josh became their son-in-law. Mike Keller was more involved in IBLP back then and it seems like he had a good idea of what Josh is like.

My point is the Kellers don't seem too picky about who their kids marry as long as they're the right kind of Christians. I think Jill R is their kind of Christian. It will be harder to make good matchs for their sons, because it seems like usually the man and his family are expected to provide for the woman.  I think JB will try find sons-in-law, more like Jeremy, Derick, or Austin in the future, especially if the show goes off the air. I would be surprised if any of the Duggar girls married a Keller boy. I think the Kellers will find wives for their sons before the Duggar girls are older anyway. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5

Where were they playing pool? Isn’t pool ungodly? Trouble? With a capital “T” that rhymes with “P” and that stands for  pool...oh no! 😆. I’ll show myself out. 

• LOL 17
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

My point is the Kellers don't seem too picky about who their kids marry as long as they're the right kind of Christians. I think Jill R is their kind of Christian. It will be harder to make good matchs for their sons, because it seems like usually the man and his family are expected to provide for the woman.  I think JB will try find sons-in-law, more like Jeremy, Derick, or Austin in the future, especially if the show goes off the air. I would be surprised if any of the Duggar girls married a Keller boy. I think the Kellers will find wives for their sons before the Duggar girls are older anyway. 

That's a good point.  I guess I was thinking that Pa Keller would like to snag a Duggar daughter-in-law.  I wasn't considering whether Jim Boob would settle for a Keller son-in-law.  He's probably looking for another Jeremy but, next time, one he can control.

I don't know why Jill & Ofjill don't try harder for some of the less flashy fundie boys.  Never mind.  Again, I'm not thinking this through.  Jill only wants someone who might get her TV coverage, or at least a photo in a magazine.  Jill does love the camera.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 4:17 AM, floridamom said:

I can't find those photos of the Rodriguez girls at the beach wearing those denim skirts?

On 4/4/2019 at 7:55 AM, Jeeves said:

I suspect that the traveling Rodrigues grifter RV isn't greeted with rapturous joy as it putters around.

I wonder if they're welcomed by people just as weird as they are. I mean look at this guy's beard. He must work within their religion to be able to afford such a nice house (it has a pool.) I know I'm being judgy, but I can't see him holding down a 'real' job with that facial situation. He.......just looks like such a GOOBER. (I'm so mean.)

rps20190405_235334.jpg

rps20190405_235315.jpg

rps20190405_235246.jpg

rps20190406_000146.jpg

rps20190406_000221.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I wonder if they're welcomed by people just as weird as they are. I mean look at this guy's beard. He must work within their religion to be able to afford such a nice house (it has a pool.) I know I'm being judgy, but I can't see him holding down a 'real' job with that facial situation. He.......just looks like such a GOOBER. (I'm so mean.)

rps20190405_235334.jpg

rps20190405_235315.jpg

rps20190405_235246.jpg

rps20190406_000146.jpg

rps20190406_000221.jpg

The beard, the pants pulled up to his chest, the tie hanging over the pants...that's an odd-looking man! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

rps20190406_000221.jpg

5 hours ago, Heathen said:

The beard, the pants pulled up to his chest, the tie hanging over the pants...that's an odd-looking man! 

Maybe he inherited - or married - money. I agree, he's an odd-looking dude. OTOH there are lots of decently paying jobs you can do while looking odd, so there's that. I'm feeling more mellow than snarky at the moment. He seems almost painfully thin and in one of those photos looks like he might have some kind of back deformity or curvature. He does have a nice big smile. And he was kind enough to invite the Rodrigues family over for dinner. 

• Love 17

It’s the mother’s home and he lives with her.  I’m assuming she’s widowed or divorced.  He has a non-church related job.  

I may have done a little snooping when I became concerned that they were selling off Nurie.  He’s much older than her, though, and it seems like that was not their intention.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Maybe he inherited - or married - money. I agree, he's an odd-looking dude. OTOH there are lots of decently paying jobs you can do while looking odd, so there's that. I'm feeling more mellow than snarky at the moment. He seems almost painfully thin and in one of those photos looks like he might have some kind of back deformity or curvature. He does have a nice big smile. And he was kind enough to invite the Rodrigues family over for dinner. 

If he bought the house at some time during the slump a few years ago, really nice looking houses in Florida could be had very cheaply. That sort of façade is pretty ubiquitous, and doesn't need to mean it's in a particularly upscale development. When we were stationed in southern GA, we were able to buy a house for probably a third of what something similar would have cost in CT, with far lower property taxes to boot. And foreclosures were everywhere, so they could have picked this house up for peanuts, relatively speaking. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, CousinOliver said:

It’s the mother’s home and he lives with her.  I’m assuming she’s widowed or divorced.  He has a non-church related job.  

I may have done a little snooping when I became concerned that they were selling off Nurie.  He’s much older than her, though, and it seems like that was not their intention.  

I'm confused. Is the dude with the beard the son of the lady in the picture?  I didn't look at him closely til now but i thought they were a couple. It looks like he has gray in his beard so I assumed he was older but he does have a younger-ish looking face.

1 hour ago, CousinOliver said:

If Jill could sell Nurie off to a man with a nice house and some money, I have no doubt she'd do it. David might not agree, but David would be sent off to the print shop to think about it some more. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That sort of façade is pretty ubiquitous, and doesn't need to mean it's in a particularly upscale development. 

Yup, I live in FL and you can find that house over and over and over again in just about every city and neighborhood.

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree, if that's MomSackett, she seems to be a pretty youthful mother, from what little I can tell of the pictures.

OTOH, she needs better pants as well, as that length plus the shortie sport Peds, make her look like a caricature of Steve Urkel.  They kind of both seem like they shop at thrift stores and don't really care what they get, although maybe BrotherSackett is/has been ill, which could account for the extreme skinniness.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I'm confused. Is the dude with the beard the son of the lady in the picture?  I didn't look at him closely til now but i thought they were a couple. It looks like he has gray in his beard so I assumed he was older but he does have a younger-ish looking face.

Yes.  I believe Jill mentioned that was his mom.  He is in his mid-50s, so truly not an appropriate age for Nurie.  

Mom looks great.  Must be that pants-living, cocktail-drinking life that keeps her looking younger than her son (the flag in the pool area says “it’s 5:00 somewhere”, so the cocktails are an assumption.).  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

he looks like he escaped one of those old black and white pictures .

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The house is typical Florida, but it's nice and seems well-kept. The pool has a lanai. The house gets points for that. 

Mom must be in her 70's. Looks pretty good. 

I’ve lived in several parts of Florida.  It’s a very typical, newer, middle class Florida home (newer being 1980s and beyond).  Our older homes have a different sort of look to them altogether.   Some people love the style, some hate it, but it’s ubiquitous for Florida. 

Now, price depends on where that “lovely Florida home” sits.  It could be a $~200,000 home or a $~400,000 home, depending on location, and I’m not going snooping into property records to tell.  (Basing this price range on a similar house my parent sold recently on the west coast of FL and a similar house my friends bought recently in mid-state FL).

• Useful 1
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, queenanne said:

He'll have to be, to counteract that name...!  I think we may have discussed this before, but IMO the Bateses are no good at naming.  You had might as well have called him "Jailer".

Maybe they were thinking of Ward Cleaver when they named him? Good wholesome (fictional) family and all???

Edited by LilJen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Maybe they were thinking of Ward Cleaver when they named him? Good wholesome (fictional) family and all???

That would have been my first thought as well. "Warden" does have s few more positive connotations, though - the notion of "guardian" brings up synonyms like "defender", "protector", "sentinel" and even "angel". It's not actually a bad name.

• Love 3

So Carlin Bates's wedding registry is up. She has also announced her wedding party. Many family members involved including matrons of honor Erin and Whitney. Joy Duggar is also a bridesmaid. Justin Duggar is an usher along with the bride's teen brothers. 

• Useful 2
23 minutes ago, Temperance said:

So Carlin Bates's wedding registry is up. She has also announced her wedding party. Many family members involved including matrons of honor Erin and Whitney. Joy Duggar is also a bridesmaid. Justin Duggar is an usher along with the bride's teen brothers. 

Doesn't Michael ever get to be a matron of honor? Or the other married sisters? Erin annoys me (honestly, they all do). 

• Love 7

I found Jill's post about the "fancy" house in Florida somewhat rude.  I mean how many times have the Kellers hosted her family??  But in the same post with them showing her hospitality she makes a point to gush over the lovely, fancy house.  It is a nice place and it's okay to say it, but I think she could have said something about the Kellers, too.  Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I think I would feel some kinda way about that. 

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

There's a Justin?

• LOL 15

So Teri Maxwell announced her new book ages ago.  She had early reviews from three women including Michelle Duggar who said "Teri lays out key ingredients that are vital to help us personally grow in our relationship with God."

They had a printing delay and didn't tell us what the book is about or it's title. 

Today the book is available and the title has been announced: My Delight: Loving My Husband by Teri Maxwell.  It's about how to be a good wife and it's supposedly perfect for women no matter how long they've been married. She also recommends to unmarried women, so probably not much about the physical side. There are new quotes including another one from Michelle Duggar    "Teri shares practical tips to help us be the loving wives that God has equipped us to be."

Given the fact that Steve (and his family) are the most adamantly anti-television fundies, it's a little hypocritical that they feature Michelle so prominently.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

For those craving a Maxwell moment, there's a four-page sneak preview of poor Teri's book here. 

https://www.titus2.com/media/products/samples/mydelightsample.pdf

This part, at least, is mostly made up of giant chunky bible quotes, each followed by a few sentences supposedly drawing out the meaning of the quote and saying absolutely nothing you haven't heard 6800 times before. 

Also, no surprise, this section focuses on how important it is that you diet and exercise adequately. It'd be nice if you and your husband could walk together but if he won't, you be sure to sign up for some tough workout group so that you can, you know, look as good as you possibly can for this guy who won't budge from his recliner. 

People in the comments are very excited to get the book. They sound kind of like Cade talking about Jeremy. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Normades said:

I found Jill's post about the "fancy" house in Florida somewhat rude.  I mean how many times have the Kellers hosted her family??  But in the same post with them showing her hospitality she makes a point to gush over the lovely, fancy house.  It is a nice place and it's okay to say it, but I think she could have said something about the Kellers, too.  Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I think I would feel some kinda way about that. 

If I was the home owners, I wouldn't be pleased that they posted a picture of my home with the address showing on the house..along with mentioning my surname. But maybe that's just me.

• Love 21
On 4/8/2019 at 7:18 PM, Churchhoney said:

For those craving a Maxwell moment, there's a four-page sneak preview of poor Teri's book here. 

https://www.titus2.com/media/products/samples/mydelightsample.pdf

This part, at least, is mostly made up of giant chunky bible quotes, each followed by a few sentences supposedly drawing out the meaning of the quote and saying absolutely nothing you haven't heard 6800 times before. 

Also, no surprise, this section focuses on how important it is that you diet and exercise adequately. It'd be nice if you and your husband could walk together but if he won't, you be sure to sign up for some tough workout group so that you can, you know, look as good as you possibly can for this guy who won't budge from his recliner. 

People in the comments are very excited to get the book. They sound kind of like Cade talking about Jeremy. 

Basically read the Bible, pray, don’t get frustrated with your husband, get a good night’s sleep, and exercise regularly. Thanks, Teri, cause no other marriage help book has ever mentioned ANY of those ideas. 😜

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Basically read the Bible, pray, don’t get frustrated with your husband, get a good night’s sleep, and exercise regularly. Thanks, Teri, cause no other marriage help book has ever mentioned ANY of those ideas. 😜

Exactly. I knew it wouldn't say anything. But this really doesn't say anything....And i assume that you'd pick one of the more interesting snippets for your sneak preview....wouldn't you? Or at least you wouldn't pick one of the dullest ones? 

When I was reading it I wondered why you'd bother to write such a thing. I don't think Teri's exactly stupid. 

Then I realized that a buck is buck. So....duh. 

Now. except for their closest friends wanting to make a donation, I have no idea why anybody would buy it.....Although maybe they're desperate to find their marriages and husbands delightful.  I can see how that might be true.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Exactly. I knew it wouldn't say anything. But this really doesn't say anything....And i assume that you'd pick one of the more interesting snippets for your sneak preview....wouldn't you? Or at least you wouldn't pick one of the dullest ones? 

When I was reading it I wondered why you'd bother to write such a thing. I don't think Teri's exactly stupid. 

Now. except for their closest friends wanting to make a donation, I have no idea why anybody would buy it.....Although maybe they're desperate to find their marriages and husbands delightful.  I can see how that might be true.

WOW!!  I suffered through reading that BS and it was way worse than I imagined.  It seems to be 75% bible verses and 25% insane drivel.  You can definitely see where Sarah gets her stilted writing style.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe she couldn't find anything less dull in it....!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Teri even listed the chapter titles on the site. The chapters are 1)Delighting in My Husband, 2)Making a Sanctuary, 3)Nurturing Yourself for Him, 4)Loving Him, 5)Praying for Him, 6)Building Him Up, 7)Following, 8)Hindering, 9)Dripping, 10)Responding, 11)Laying Aside, 12)Investing, and, Plan of Salvation.

The sample is from the nurturing yourself for him chapter, which may seem like the chapter which is easiest to guess what its' about. Usually chapter one would be selected, because it should tone for the book. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Teri even listed the chapter titles on the site. The chapters are 1)Delighting in My Husband, 2)Making a Sanctuary, 3)Nurturing Yourself for Him, 4)Loving Him, 5)Praying for Him, 6)Building Him Up, 7)Following, 8)Hindering, 9)Dripping, 10)Responding, 11)Laying Aside, 12)Investing, and, Plan of Salvation.

The sample is from the nurturing yourself for him chapter, which may seem like the chapter which is easiest to guess what its' about. Usually chapter one would be selected, because it should tone for the book. 

Investing seems like solid advice, but I'm guessing it's not about money.

• Love 8

Because the book starts with "Delighting in my Husband" I read all the rest of the subsequent chapters as "him" being the husband and things pertaining to a husband instead of god. 

And ew, "dripping"? First, my brain can't get past the husband connotation, but how does it actually relate to something Terri would write about?

• LOL 8
  • Love 2