Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

On 6/15/2018 at 2:19 PM, madpsych78 said:

Even the Smuggars haven't had a vow renewal ceremony and they'll be 10 years in September. And while JimChelle has had a vow renewal (aka vow "removal") ceremony they were married 25 years by that point.

I’ve been married 25 years. We spent the day at a water park, and the evening eating Chinese food in bed and watching videos. We also replaced my wedding band which had been missing for several years ($200 - that was our big splurge). We are actually pretty well off but with five unmarried girls it would never occur to me to take a second turn as a bride myself! The self-centered world view of some of these folks amazes me. Didn’t the Rodrigueses have a vow renewal also? So weird. 

• Love 15

I think the Duggars had a vow renewal, because TLC wanted to film it and was playing the bills. This coincided with the Duggars trip to Kleinfeld (Say Yes to the Dress) (which has it's own thread on the 19 K&C forum at PTV.) Vow renewels is TLC staple-plot; JB and Michelle, Jon and Cate, Larry and Theresa, etc.

• Love 2

i actually took the time to watch Prissy’s latest video. (Not working for me to post the link here). Poor girl. She really tries. Speaking in sentences is hard. And it’s the same thing over and over. 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, awaken said:

i actually took the time to watch Prissy’s latest video. (Not working for me to post the link here). Poor girl. She really tries. Speaking in sentences is hard. And it’s the same thing over and over. 

This is classic Prissy and my gateway to Priscilla and David!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

This is classic Prissy and my gateway to Priscilla and David!

Exactly! Same exact facial expression on Prissy and Michelle, and they both still have it! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Triple P said:

Prissy and TFDW are expecting a girl. If they stay on theme, I think this one will be called Davida.

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

have fun! And good luck deciphering the gibberish.

Sweet baby jesus!

Um...baby. something about a quarter. Heaven. Sinner. Cow goes moo. Cat says meow. Lookie..clouds in the sky. Dog says woof. 

Bless her heart.

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Poor Priscilla. 

If you didn't know Priscilla was a real person and that this is exactly how she thinks and acts, you'd think it was a parody.  Comedians would reject this video as being too unbelievable and too over the top to be good satire.  Poor Priscilla is right; I think she really is that dumb, no one could fake stupid like she does.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

have fun! And good luck deciphering the gibberish.

No snark here.  She’s sugary sweet and has a heart of gold, I’m sure, but she’s pitiful; she really is.  I don’t know how she’s going to manage homeschooling all those kids, when it’s more than apparent that she has some deficits.  What a mess. ?

4 hours ago, Triple P said:

Prissy and TFDW are expecting a girl. If they stay on theme, I think this one will be called Davida.

Isn’t that their other daughter’s name?

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

No snark here.  She’s sugary sweet and has a heart of gold, I’m sure, but she’s pitiful; she really is.  I don’t know how she’s going to manage homeschooling all those kids, when it’s more than apparent that she has some deficits.  What a mess. ?

Isn’t that their other daughter’s name?

First daughter is Davia.

Their theme seems to be giving the boys "P" names and the girls "D" names. I think TFDW is so extra that he will want all the girls to have variants of David. 

• Love 3

I actually didn't find her that bad. I understood the gist of what she was saying. Find Jesus so you'll go to heaven, and bring your kids up the same way. Your time on the earth is limited so love God.  I will agree her speech was breathy and disjointed, and at times I wasn't sure she knew where she was going with whatever point she was making.  Some people think better when they're talking out loud. It wasn't that great and her message was familiar enough, but based on the comments, I was expecting much worse. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If you didn't know Priscilla was a real person and that this is exactly how she thinks and acts, you'd think it was a parody.  Comedians would reject this video as being too unbelievable and too over the top to be good satire.  Poor Priscilla is right; I think she really is that dumb, no one could fake stupid like she does.

At about 1:06 I found myself thinking "Amy Poehler would do a good job with this." 

I don't think the problem is her conversation per se; I think the problem is that if you spent any amount of time around her you'd find that she keeps saying the same things to you over and over; because Prissy gives the impression she literally doesn't know how to talk to anyone about anything else than parroting the six-year-old's version of the Sinner's Prayer, or whatever metaphor was last used in Junior Church which strikes her as so new and novel it should be shared with the entire world.  It's not what we're seeing/hearing her say; it's the absence of what she could be saying instead.  She does a very good job of giving the impression, that she does not think.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

When she would appear on 19KAC, I'd be struck by how...lovingly patient Anna was towards Priscilla. I really do think there's always been something going on with her beyond garden variety stupidity. She can pass for somewhat normal in her circle because her affect is how fundie women are supposed. Look at Michelle with that soft voice she faked for so long that it's now how she speaks normally. 

• Love 11

Priscilla obviously doesn't have a mean bone in her body, but she does have a bit of a time getting to the point when she talks.

I can't really snark much, because it is heartbreaking that her friend lost a baby at 38 weeks.  However, when she said the "put the quarter in, get a healthy baby in 9 months" metaphor, how many of us were trying so hard NOT to think about David depositing the "quarter?"

Girlfriend has a pretty decent sized belly for having 12 weeks yet to go.  I can sympathize.   I looked like the broad side of a barn with my fourth.  Interestingly, I was the same age as Priscilla when I had my fourth (I was thinking she was younger.)  The similarity ends there though, because I packed it in with the pregnancy thing after the fourth baby, and I'm sure Prissy still has many pregnancies left to go...

• Love 7

You know I absolutely love to sing. But a good singer I am not. I just would never, would never, would never think of posting a video of myself singing. Nor would my loved ones allow me to post a video of me singing.

That's all.

• Love 5

From the looks of Josie Bates' registry, she's picked out some cute things a young newlywed couple can use. Her style is certainly the anti-Erin's, isn't it?

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Is she on her knees?

Half the time I don't know if you're serious. The rest of the time I think you're part Bob Newhart and part George Carlin.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10

Oh my.  She does seem sweet, but childishly so, and I think I would go insane if I had to try and have a conversation with her every day.  She also makes me think that while David is "depositing a quarter" she is probably talking out loud in her whisper baby voice with something akin to "Yes Jesus, please give us a blessing this night and we will be sure to bring them up to follow you oh Lord."  I have no idea how David would get his quarter deposited if that happens.

I think that while she can't seem to have a thought out presentation she actually is ahead of Jill in video speaking and presentation, and that's a scary thought.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Half the time I don't know if your serious. The rest of the time I think you're part Bob Newhart and part George Carlin.

Bob's still alive and well on Twitter. He's still hilarious. 

• Love 6

I can't understand a word of this. What is it with these fundies making their kids recite shit that they don't have a clue of understanding? I guess props to the Wallers since Davia didn't need any prompting, unlike poor Izzy.

• Love 3

I couldn't understand any of it either.  How about their ABC's?  What was it Prissy said in her last video that it's more important to teach your small kids bible versus than to have a clean house.  Um, what???

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Oh my.  She does seem sweet, but childishly so, and I think I would go insane if I had to try and have a conversation with her every day.  She also makes me think that while David is "depositing a quarter" she is probably talking out loud in her whisper baby voice with something akin to "Yes Jesus, please give us a blessing this night and we will be sure to bring them up to follow you oh Lord."  I have no idea how David would get his quarter deposited if that happens.

I think that while she can't seem to have a thought out presentation she actually is ahead of Jill in video speaking and presentation, and that's a scary thought.

And that is why I sympathize with David. Because, yes, the idea of simple Priscilla just being her sweet, simple self with a husband who's always annoyed with her is sad. But the reality of living with a Priscilla? My teeth would be permanently gritted, too. I feel real anger at just the thought of having Priscilla for a spouse, even in the context of me being the "headship." I'd like to think I'd just give myself an ulcer by holding in my constant rage instead of expressing how angry trying to have a normal conversation with her makes me, because she doesn't deserve cruelty, but...GOD. I have to think that even the most heternormative, patriarchal fundie male wants at least the occasional conversation on equal terms with his wife. 

• Love 6
(edited)
20 hours ago, Temperance said:

I actually didn't find her that bad. I understood the gist of what she was saying. Find Jesus so you'll go to heaven, and bring your kids up the same way. Your time on the earth is limited so love God.  I will agree her speech was breathy and disjointed, and at times I wasn't sure she knew where she was going with whatever point she was making.  Some people think better when they're talking out loud. It wasn't that great and her message was familiar enough, but based on the comments, I was expecting much worse. 

Pris is definitely a little out there, but I thought it was nice how she empathized with the friend who had a miscarriage and how it made her realize you can never take anything for granted. Aside from the loopy delivery, she wasn't totally off-base. I was expecting a lot worse as well.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

I went down the rabbit hole and went to see if Jill R had updated her blog.  She hadn't but I clicked on their music page.

Jill has this to say: 

Music

The Rodrigues Family has recorded 5 music CD’s.  (But only 4 are available for purchase - hmmm).  Jill has written many of the songs.  (Does that scare anyone else? Including the song, ”Grandma, How We Will Miss You So!”  OK THAT's creepy to write and have your kids sing.)   Although these CD’s were not recorded in a studio, you will still receive a blessing from the words of the music and hearing the precious voices of small children praising the Name of Christ through song. (Yea, riiiggghhtt, sure we will, rolls eyes)  Each CD is $10 including shipping.  (US Shipping Only)  (Because learning other countries is hard and expensive to ship to.)

Interestingly Timothy and the rest of the boys all seem to have started blonde.  Timothy's hair seem to have stuck.  The pictures from the 2008, 2010 and 2014, all have Jill with dark hair.  In fact in the first one, if it hadn't been for David sitting next to her, I probably wouldn't have recognized her.  Only in the 2016 CD photo does she have blonde hair.  Makes me wonder if folks had started asking her if Timothy was adopted so she dyed her hair blonde?

• Love 3

Oh Priscilla...she seems to have some sort of speech impediment + homeschooled with someone uneducated + not very smart.....

Anna and their father have always seemed more articulate but heck even Jana and Jinger often struggle with sentence structure when being interviewed.  Nasty Smuggar & JD are the only kids I’ve never really seen struggle.  They may have but I just don’t recall. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Interestingly Timothy and the rest of the boys all seem to have started blonde.  Timothy's hair seem to have stuck.  The pictures from the 2008, 2010 and 2014, all have Jill with dark hair.  In fact in the first one, if it hadn't been for David sitting next to her, I probably wouldn't have recognized her.  Only in the 2016 CD photo does she have blonde hair.  Makes me wonder if folks had started asking her if Timothy was adopted so she dyed her hair blonde?

Gray hair is my guess. Along with extreme vanity. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

I went down the rabbit hole and went to see if Jill R had updated her blog.  She hadn't but I clicked on their music page.

Jill has this to say: 

Music

The Rodrigues Family has recorded 5 music CD’s.  (But only 4 are available for purchase - hmmm).  Jill has written many of the songs.  (Does that scare anyone else? Including the song, ”Grandma, How We Will Miss You So!”  OK THAT's creepy to write and have your kids sing.)   Although these CD’s were not recorded in a studio, you will still receive a blessing from the words of the music and hearing the precious voices of small children praising the Name of Christ through song. (Yea, riiiggghhtt, sure we will, rolls eyes)  Each CD is $10 including shipping.  (US Shipping Only)  (Because learning other countries is hard and expensive to ship to.)

Grandma, how we will miss you so? WTF is that?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Libby96 said:

However, when she said the "put the quarter in, get a healthy baby in 9 months" metaphor, how many of us were trying so hard NOT to think about David depositing the "quarter?"

What an image!  ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Annb67 said:

Grandma, how we will miss you so? WTF is that?

A song Jill R wrote and had her kids sing.  No therapy there needed (sarcasm font)

56 minutes ago, awaken said:

What an image!  ?

It's silver and the size of a quarter, ok then.  Poor Priscilla.  Ahem.  Off to the prayer closet.  Everyone bring quarters for the booze games.  ;-)

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Libby96 said:

when she said the "put the quarter in, get a healthy baby in 9 months" metaphor, how many of us were trying so hard NOT to think about David depositing the "quarter?"

Ok who has the Brain Bleach.

• Love 2

Pris is a sweet, kind, gentle person. Yes, she's a bit out there, but I can't snark on her. I read somewhere back a few years ago that there was an oxygen issue when she was born. I can't and won't call her out on any videos because of that. It's not her fault. Pris was a home birth that had complications. I blame her dumb parents. I don't know how she remains so 'up' all the time, though.

• Love 21
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Genevrier said:

Even the Smuggars haven't had a vow renewal ceremony and they'll be 10 years in September.

They'd jump at the chance to have one if there was the faintest possibility TLC would pay them for it, film it and put it on the air. But since that's not going to happen, why bother?

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Since this is Jill, I have to ask, did grandma pass, or is “will” there as an, in the future when she passes?

David's mother is still alive, remember they needed the grifted car so he could drive to NY to get her so she could see Baby Janessa?  Jill's parents are also alive and well, as far as I know.  They live near them in WVa and she posts pictures on the blog of them.  I suppose this could be Jill's grandmother that the ridiculous song discusses.  And, isn't 'how we will miss you so' grammatically awkward, if not actually incorrect?  Shouldn't it be 'how we will miss you' or 'we will miss you so'?  One or the other, not both.  Jill is barely literate, her kids are going to be even less so.  Interesting that, despite her obvious inability to use the English language properly, Jill insists on blogging all over the place?

Any news from the road from the Rodrigui?  The car and stink bus must be running ok or they'd be grifting for new vehicles.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

David's mother is still alive, remember they needed the grifted car so he could drive to NY to get her so she could see Baby Janessa?  Jill's parents are also alive and well, as far as I know.  They live near them in WVa and she posts pictures on the blog of them.  I suppose this could be Jill's grandmother that the ridiculous song discusses.  And, isn't 'how we will miss you so' grammatically awkward, if not actually incorrect?  Shouldn't it be 'how we will miss you' or 'we will miss you so'?  One or the other, not both.  Jill is barely literate, her kids are going to be even less so.  Interesting that, despite her obvious inability to use the English language properly, Jill insists on blogging all over the place?

Any news from the road from the Rodrigui?  The car and stink bus must be running ok or they'd be grifting for new vehicles.

It's as rediculous as Jill's song about how Poor Amy The Quadrupledic can no longer use her arms, or her legs!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, floridamom said:

Pris is a sweet, kind, gentle person. Yes, she's a bit out there, but I can't snark on her. I read somewhere back a few years ago that there was an oxygen issue when she was born. I can't and won't call her out on any videos because of that. It's not her fault. Pris was a home birth that had complications. I blame her dumb parents. I don't know how she remains so 'up' all the time, though.

I am usually on the cusp of saying ‘Priscilla strikes me as someone who had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck’, so it would not surprise me.  

The real sin and crime, is how everyone pushed and pressed poor credulous Prissy into marrying TFDW, because she was probably the only fundie girl who wasn’t perceptive enough to stand there saying ‘Gee, I dunno, Dad, doesn’t that guy seem a little... ‘fabulous’ to you?’  And then to compound the problem, Pris writes blog entries about how much she and David think alike (!!).  

As he has a white collar job which seems to rely upon being able to, well, read and write, I find this assertion doubtful. I mean, we’ve read his blogs.  He strings words together pretty well.  I feel pretty sure that based upon that, the reason Priscilla thinks she understands David impeccably, is probably because she has very little sophisticated discernment of what he is saying to her.

• Love 8
(edited)
18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I can't understand a word of this. What is it with these fundies making their kids recite shit that they don't have a clue of understanding? I guess props to the Wallers since Davia didn't need any prompting, unlike poor Izzy.

They have their preschoolers memorizing Bible verses so the children will always remember them. Eventually, they'll learn the lesson behind the Bible verse. Plus, it makes the parents feel so much holier than the lowly parents who either don't make their tiny tots memorize God's Word or who, like Israel, can't remember them.

I think David married Priscilla because he wanted a sweet dim-witted wife that he could control. 

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 6

JRod is trying to sell the family’s newly-released CD’s.  There are 2 CD’s, and only ONE song/CD.  Cost?  $12.00.  Yep, you read it right.  You can buy TWO songs, that were recorded in their living room, no less, for $24.00.  This woman has zero shame.

• Love 3

I know nothing about Priscilla's husband.  In a nutshell, anyone care to fill me in?  

Like I posted earlier, I admire her faith.  She does seem like a sweet person.  Is Anna older than Priscilla?  It seems a bit curious to me, that if Priscilla had a difficult time being born and thus O2 deprived?  that Anna would opt to have her babies at home.

• Love 1