Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, SMama said:

Lawson and Nathan Bates landed in PR about 18 hours ago (per Lawson's IG). I have more faith in them than any Duggar. Especially if they brought equipment to help clear inner island roads. 

Wasn't it Lawson who went to help after Harvey?

On 10/3/2017 at 2:04 PM, SMama said:

If they are truly helping then good. If they start passing out tracks, hopefully someone will set them straight. Bad enough that the island got a huge dose of insults early this morning. If anyone here watched 45’s presser, I have a question. What the heck was up with the abrupt end? Husband was home on a break and we were astounded. Kelly whispered in 45’s ear, then all reporters out. 

Would like to know who these EMT trained souls are, and when have they used their training? Other than in dummies.

I know something they can do to help. They can go to those high rise apartments with no electricity and take food and water up to those elderly folks stuck in their apartments. How is an elderly person on the 10th floor supposed to survive?

• Love 10

Totally serious question:

What are the Duggars or Bates or anyone going to do? Do people just show up in Puerto Rico and other disaster areas?  I thought you have to be with a licensed/approved organization otherwise there would be even more chaos.  Who are the Duggars & Bates working with? 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

They are going to pretend they are doing something worthwhile.  While taking lots of pictures for social media.  Almost every catastrophe gets its share of Tragedy Tourists,  people who go there claiming to help who are mainly there to get attention for themselves.  Even if they should stumble upon someone and manage to provide aid, the thousands of dollars they spent on themselves to get there would've been better used as a donation to an organization with the staff and training already on the ground. It's an ego thing.

I guess I'm guilty of a little of this in that I've done volunteer medical work in multiple foreign countries. However, I don't go in the midst of a crisis, I pay my own way out of my own pocket,  I am part of a group with an ongoing presence in that country and part of our work involves training locals and giving them the resources to carry on once we've gone.  For example, my medical volunteer group in El Salvador, in addition to the week or two a year we spend down there, raises money so the local medical clinic can hire local doctors and nurses.  This year, we've covered all salaries for clinic staff for 6 months.  It's the ongoing stuff that really matters.

ETA: I also am an actual physician with actual medical skills.

I bet you can even name you things.  ?

• Love 16
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

They are going to pretend they are doing something worthwhile.  While taking lots of pictures for social media.  Almost every catastrophe gets its share of Tragedy Tourists,  people who go there claiming to help who are mainly there to get attention for themselves.  Even if they should stumble upon someone and manage to provide aid, the thousands of dollars they spent on themselves to get there would've been better used as a donation to an organization with the staff and training already on the ground. It's an ego thing.

I guess I'm guilty of a little of this in that I've done volunteer medical work in multiple foreign countries. However, I don't go in the midst of a crisis, I pay my own way out of my own pocket,  I am part of a group with an ongoing presence in that country and part of our work involves training locals and giving them the resources to carry on once we've gone.  For example, my medical volunteer group in El Salvador, in addition to the week or two a year we spend down there, raises money so the local medical clinic can hire local doctors and nurses.  This year, we've covered all salaries for clinic staff for 6 months.  It's the ongoing stuff that really matters.

ETA: I also am an actual physician with actual medical skills.

I bet you have a bag of "medical things" too!

• Love 14

Cathy responded to a negative tweet about Derelict. She said he was “down there” helping, doing what needed to be done, not posting pictures. As if a Duggar has ever done that. Too bad she didn’t specify where “down there” is.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

We can be most certain that our lovely @doodlebug has real "medical things" and not a Fisher Price medical kit. Plus, she also didn't get her medical degree from the SOTDRT. 

2 hours ago, SMama said:

Cathy responded to a negative tweet about Derelict. She said he was “down there” helping, doing what needed to be done, not posting pictures. As if a Duggar has ever done that. Too bad she didn’t specify where “down there” is.

I live in the South, and "down there" doesn't necessarily indicate a southerly direction. It's only slightly less specific than "over yonder".

• Love 18

I would think that they (Bates and Duggar fly boys)  would have to be working with one of the Volunteer Pilot Organizations that is helping out with Hurricane Maria relief. Just a couple of things about Volunteer Pilot Organizations and PR relief. 

This is a story about how Angel Flight Southeast is helping out. http://www.aero-news.net/subsite.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=32457270-077c-40c0-ae2b-4a31e16309d2

The Volunteer Pilots with their planes have moved cargo to PR, and brought people back that needed evacuating. In addition, some of the pilots and planes are staying in PR for a period of time and moving medical personnel and supplies around around the island.

Also of interest is the GoFundMe to raise money for fuel. There are some really specific FAA regulations that prohibit Volunteer Pilots getting paid for their fuel, except in specific circumstances.  This link from the Air Care Alliance http://www.aircarealliance.org/reimbursements-fuel-and-use-groups-aircraft  , an industry organization for groups that offer charity flights.

The part under the heading "Putting yourself and others at risk" explains why charity's can't just buy a plane and have a volunteer pilot fly it.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, curbcrusher said:

I would think that they (Bates and Duggar fly boys)  would have to be working with one of the Volunteer Pilot Organizations that is helping out with Hurricane Maria relief. 

Do you know for a fact that the Duggars are working with the Volunteer Pilot charities?  Do they have the proper sized planes/training to do so?  If so is  the Volunteer Pilot Org ok if the Duggars try to convert people in need?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I have a medical bag, I think it's in my attic; have never used it professionally, I bought it in med school before I knew better.  I've seen them converted into planters, maybe I should try to find it.

On mission trips, I find my ancient Land's End backpack works well, holds a ton of 'medical things' as well as toilet paper and purell; essential when in the boonies.  I do know the actual technical names for my 'medical things' and can spell them, too, unlike Jill.

Do you know for a fact that the Duggars are working with the Volunteer Pilot charities?  Do they have the proper sized planes/training to do so?  If so is  the Volunteer Pilot Org ok if the Duggars try to convert people in need?

Since we know the Volunteer Pilots use their planes to carry cargo and to evacuate people in need, it seems very unlikely that the Duggars, in a 4 seat plane that we know was filled coming into PR; would have much, if any, room to provide either of these services.  Also, the link above very clearly specifies that, if a volunteer pilot accepts any compensation at all including any part of the cost of fuel from either the passengers or donations from third parties; even if the flight is for religious or charitable purpose; there are very strict safety rules that must be followed. They are regulated essentially like any commercial air carrier would be; with rather stringent safety rules that would be required of them.  So, since they asked for Go Fund Me donations for fuel; it seems unlikely that this trip was being done under any Volunteer Pilots program.  We have ample proof that Duggars and safety precautions do not mix.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
21 hours ago, SMama said:

Well there you have it. Doing what needs to be done =dum dums, interpretive dancing and him retching after anything strenuous. 

• Love 19
7 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Well there you have it. Doing what needs to be done =dum dums, interpretive dancing and him retching after anything strenuous. 

Maybe that is why it took so long for baby #2.  Jill wasn't happy with the retching during ahem, fellowship.

• Love 8

My headship left to mail another package to PR, so I finally got a chance to listen to JRod's acapela rendering of the National Anthem.  I did at least notice the house is way cleaner than the Duggar family home, so I will give the family chops for that. 

And it seems pets are better treated. I went to where  the high note was , and couldn't see it through out of fear of startling my geriatric cat.  She really fancies herself as some sort of singer, doesn't she?

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Pain meds
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Maybe that is why it took so long for baby #2.  Jill wasn't happy with the retching during ahem, fellowship.

Somehow I really doubt their, um, fellowship is strenuous. 

That said, anyone need a ride to the prayer closet?

19 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That just conjures up a need for brain bleach 

IMG_0293.JPG

I just bought more for us so we will have enough for the weekend. 

• Love 7
On 2017-10-05 at 11:24 AM, SMama said:

Maybe she means Jill's “down there”?

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I would say maybe he's "down there helping what needs to be done"  with Jill, but he seems too selfish to do that. 

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Sadly (frighteningly?) that was my first thought, but I didn't comment in anticipation that the comments running through my mind would probably be made for me. WIN!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Sadly (frighteningly?) that was my first thought, but I didn't comment in anticipation that the comments running through my mind would probably be made for me. WIN!

I thought the same thing too!

Let's hope Derick is better down there than Danger America...he did not get the job done in Danger America. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, lianau said:

He sort of got the job done  though . 

That's not the part of "down there" I'm referring to. Of course he knows PinV. I doubt he knows anything else other than titties. 

• Love 1

You know, TLC was enjoyable when it aired programs actually about learning. I guess those programs didn't bring in the $$ like this new pile of crap. I haven't watched anything Duggar in years; just read the snark ( thank you, all ). The Putmans are bat shit crazy, and I turned them off after 30 min. I do watch Outdaughtered only for the adorable quints.  The shows on TLC are so heavily scripted that they must have a room full of writers churning out wacky scenarios.

Obviously, these families sign up to bare their lives because of the money.  But, we saw what happened with Kate + 8 and the Roloffs. Their lives became open books, with secrets exposed, troubled marriages, and medical problems aired for all to see. They trade their privacy for the pot of gold.

The only good that comes out of these programs is that we have this wonderful site to snark. Everyone here is so knowledgeable, ( I have learned so much about the bible),  respectful and caring. 

• Love 12

What is it about Fundies that makes them think everyone else should purchase supplies for their babies?   I totally get a baby shower for your first, and even a second if there is a large number of years between babies.   She is having child number SIX for crying out loud.  She's registering for Dreft and gift cards?   Seriously?   How about you buy your own detergent and feed your own family?  If others want to volunteer a meal to help that's great, but you don't ask for donations!!   

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, SMama said:

The $219 Mamaroo was icing on the cake. They should have a stroller by now. If you have to beg for food and simple necessities, you can’t afford six children. Quit breeding for Jesus and take care of your existing children.

Amen!  What balls she has.  I hope nobody buys anything.

• Love 8

All she has so far is one $20 gift card.  I wouldn't put it past them to have bought it themselves to jump start the donations...

Having 6 kids is a choice.  Expecting others to subsidize that choice is just wrong.  I don't think Jesus would approve.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

To make matters worse, she's having a boy I heard and she gave away her stash of boy clothes some time back.  

That's all on her. She knew she would have a shit ton of kids. If the clothes were in good enough condition to give away, they were also good enough to save for the inevitable next boy down the line. 

• Love 15