Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

What is it about Fundies that makes them think everyone else should purchase supplies for their babies?   I totally get a baby shower for your first, and even a second if there is a large number of years between babies.   She is having child number SIX for crying out loud.  She's registering for Dreft and gift cards?   Seriously?   How about you buy your own detergent and feed your own family?  If others want to volunteer a meal to help that's great, but you don't ask for donations!!   

I don't know much about the Fundies,except that I've heard that many aren't well off.  But, it does seem that because they are raising such large families for "God's army". they expect people to help them out. The Duggars, when we originally met them, were living in a tiny house supplied by the church, They couldn't afford to finish the TTH on their own.They shopped in thrift shops, and bought things second hand. But, they, like Sierra,  they kept on popping out the  blessings. I wonder, when the money started rolling in if they ever paid it forward, and helped another church family in need. Somehow, I think not.

• Love 13

No, it’s all about them. These are the grifters who claimed their TV show was their “ministry.” So much for having servant’s hearts. More like owning 19 servants and counting on 200 more via grandchildren.

• Love 10

She probably did think her last kid would be the last, Sierra has PCOS and apparently almost died during labor. Maybe she thought her husband would have sympathy for her and let her start birth control, but NOPE!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

She probably did think her last kid would be the last, Sierra has PCOS and apparently almost died during labor. Maybe she thought her husband would have sympathy for her and let her start birth control, but NOPE!

Or maybe whatever she was doing didn't work or stopped working. I've known Catholics who had children while trying to prevent it and people around them sometimes jump to the conclusion they don't believe in preventative measures, when it's not the case.

Although in this case, it's possible she was told PCOS would affect her fertility to the point that she wouldn't be able to have more children. 

How old is Sierra? 

Edited by Temperance
42 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't have kids so forgive my ignorance, but is Panera Bread, Domino's and Subway standard cuisine for newborns?

Glad you asked!  Newborns are known for their love of pizza and sammys.  The fact that they can't hold the food or chew the food is really not a problem.  Nor is the fact that they are on a liquid diet for much of the first year of life.  Just stick it in the vitamix and you're good to go. There is nothing a newborn baby likes more at the 2:00 am feeding than a mushed up pepperoni and sausage pizza.  ~insert huge eye roll here~

The greed of these people just astounds me. Gahhh!

• Love 23
2 hours ago, toodles said:

Glad you asked!  Newborns are known for their love of pizza and sammys.  The fact that they can't hold the food or chew the food is really not a problem.  Nor is the fact that they are on a liquid diet for much of the first year of life.  Just stick it in the vitamix and you're good to go. There is nothing a newborn baby likes more at the 2:00 am feeding than a mushed up pepperoni and sausage pizza.  ~insert huge eye roll here~

The greed of these people just astounds me. Gahhh!

Why go through all the extra bother when it probably jut produces the yummiest of breast milk....Second hand is good enough!

• Love 3

I (kinda sorta) could understand being broke and needing baby clothes and diapers...if you're so brainwashed that you can't won't stop having kids. They totally lost me at the restaurant gift grift cards, though...give me a BREAK.

• Love 9

Actually the restaurant gift cards make some sense considering it's the 6th child. So on days when the baby was up all night and Dad was at work all day (he does work?) then they take the whole family (the baby and seven other people) out to eat at night. Considering people in this group, tend to focus on only the baby and forget the other children, I like that they might be thinking about their other kids.  This culture tends to focus so much on the baby and not the other children. I do tend to think restaurant gift cards silly on a registry, but so does another registry at this point. I mean she could either have the baby stuff from her other kids or borrow/get stuff from friends like a lot of people do (particularly in this life)?

Someone should get Sierra one of those books or whatever to plan the whole weeks meals ahead of time. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Guys, I think Jill has a buyer for Nurie! Probably that farmer guy in KY that they always visit. 

FB_IMG_1507922062255.jpg

I almost choked on my drink on that last comment.  "Is Nurie going to College?" As if that would happen!  

• Love 16
14 hours ago, SMama said:

The $219 Mamaroo was icing on the cake. They should have a stroller by now. If you have to beg for food and simple necessities, you can’t afford six children. Quit breeding for Jesus and take care of your existing children.

I found most of the big ticket baby items I had lasted through one-and-a-half kids on average before having problems.  Car seats made it through two kids before they reached the expiration date on the sticker.  The motor on the swing burned out before baby #2 was finished using it; the fabric on the bouncy seat wore through and the vibration thingie got a short in it, etc.  The stroller lasted through three kids, but only because we were fine using it without the mama tray that holds your coffee and we knew not to trust the plastic Graco brakes, etc.  Even the crib mattress needed to be replaced after baby #3 and one of the slats on the drop side (ours didn't get recalled) started splitting from being moved up and down so much.  If she's on child #6, I would expect there to be a few needs for the new baby.  And if someone had given me a restaurant gift card instead of the 10th noodle casserole in a row, I would have been beyond thrilled.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Temperance said:

Or maybe whatever she was doing didn't work or stopped working. I've known Catholics who had children while trying to prevent it and people around them sometimes jump to the conclusion they don't believe in preventative measures, when it's not the case.

Although in this case, it's possible she was told PCOS would affect her fertility to the point that she wouldn't be able to have more children. 

How old is Sierra? 

If PCOS didn't prevent her from her from getting pregnant the first 5 times, it surely wasn't going to prevent the 6th.  I suspect she was misdiagnosed.

Also, PCOS doesn't cause any complications in subsequent pregnancies, so I'm not sure why anyone is linking it to her supposed life threatening delivery.

• Love 12
23 hours ago, Absolom said:

To make matters worse, she's having a boy I heard and she gave away her stash of boy clothes some time back.  

Why can't she get some boy hand me downs from Jessa or Jill?  I'm sure they have plenty to give her.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If PCOS didn't prevent her from her from getting pregnant the first 5 times, it surely wasn't going to prevent the 6th.  I suspect she was misdiagnosed.

Also, PCOS doesn't cause any complications in subsequent pregnancies, so I'm not sure why anyone is linking it to her supposed life threatening delivery.

I've been told it's possible that to develop PCOS later in life. Is it possible she came down with it later? (Say in the last year or two). 

She's talked about PCOS before her girls were born. I'm going with a misdiagnosis; who knows what kind of medical care she receives, although I do I recall her delivering in a hospital.

In other news, Nurie gets tacky courting gifts, poor thing.

FB_IMG_1507999293637.jpg

• Love 1

I hope Nurie's suitor is a knight in shining armor who has no desire for a child bride and is going to sweep her away the day of her wedding and place her with a happy, boisterous, well fed family of girls.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I've been told it's possible that to develop PCOS later in life. Is it possible she came down with it later? (Say in the last year or two). 

It's much more likely to be present from young adulthood.  And, not that there aren't many exceptions, but the 'typical' woman with PCOS would significantly overweight, often with acne and increased facial hair.  I've only seen photos of Sienna, but she doesn't seem to fit the profile.  I also forgot to say in my previous post that while PCOS does not in itself predispose to pregnancy complications; it is often part of a larger constellation of endocrine issues referred to as metabolic syndrome.  Women with metabolic syndrome, in addition to anovulation due to PCOS, often have insulin resistance which predisposes them to gestational diabetes (and adult onset diabetes as they age).  Gestational diabetes, along with obesity, can lead to unusually large babies which can lead to an increased risk of cesarean, lacerations, long labors, shoulder dystocia and other stuff.  So, indirectly, we could say that PCOS can lead to problems with labor and delivery.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I hope Nurie's suitor is a knight in shining armor who has no desire for a child bride and is going to sweep her away the day of her wedding and place her with a happy, boisterous, well feed family of girls.

I can't find the picture now, but FJ calls Nurie's intended Camo due to pictures of him toting handguns in camo shorts with Timothy.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She's talked about PCOS before her girls were born. I'm going with a misdiagnosis; who knows what kind of medical care she receives, although I do I recall her delivering in a hospital.

In other news, Nurie gets tacky courting gifts, poor thing.

FB_IMG_1507999293637.jpg

I just bought that $2.99 mug at Walmart yesterday. Her buyer must be low on funds since everything pictured amounts to $15. He's either a jobless kid or an old man trying to lure a child.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I just bought that $2.99 mug at Walmart yesterday. Her buyer must be low on funds since everything pictured amounts to $15. He's either a jobless kid or an old man trying to lure a child.

Considering the near-poverty conditions so many of the huge fundie families live in, I think it's pretty likely that he is a young kid from a massive family who is underemployed in some struggling family business and 15 bucks is a fortune to him.

Romanticsist?? Was she trying to say he is a romantic?

Romanticist is a word, I think that might be what she was going for.  JRod was homeschooled herself, and, if you read her blog, you'll notice she is barely literate.  Isn't it great that she is homeschooling Nurie and the rest of her brood?  Don't worry, Nurie got her high school diploma at a fundie homeschooling conference which has the strictest of standards, I am sure she is just as well educated as her mother.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15

Found a picture of the supposed guy on a Duggar blog. At least he's not a creepy old dude and Nurie will move in with his family and away from the camper. I don't know why they are interrogating him so much they're desperate to get rid of her to anyone. 

b488e65f-7cf6-4955-8eb1-9758b2f8bda6.jpg

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Found a picture of the supposed guy on a Duggar blog. At least he's not a creepy old dude and Nurie will move in with his family and away from the camper. I don't know why they are interrogating him so much they're desperate to get rid of her to anyone. 

I am somewhat concerned that JRod bragged that she and Chimpy interrogated this guy thoroughly and he got perfect marks from them.  I am not really sure that any guy who meets their criteria is good husband material.  And, look at the example they set for Nurie: vain, self-centered mom, gluttonous father who refuses to work, itinerant lifestyle with the kids dressed up and performing like trained monkeys.  Getting away from them sooner than later is probably a good thing for her, but she may be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

That's no other the guy. The real one is Jeremiah Johnson from KY (jelly). 

It's this guy. 

FB_IMG_1508011064122.jpg

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Wow, JRod is moving fast to get Nurie "settled down."  Maybe it's so she'll be out of the house by the time the new blessing arrives and the other children won't realize that there's one less chicken leg.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I hope Nurie's suitor is a knight in shining armor who has no desire for a child bride and is going to sweep her away the day of her wedding and place her with a happy, boisterous, well fed family of girls.

And hopefully he will also be allergic to hairspray 

4 hours ago, Lunera said:

2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

At least Nurie will get fed.

I wonder if Nurie is going to get her own new wedding dress, or if the outfits from The Spectacle in Fuschia will be recycled for the occasion.

It's going to be some 80s inspired monstrosity 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

he gives me the creeps

I never understood this fundie/southern trend of holding your guns around your home. I say this as someone who had multiple firearms in my house ( DH Is a police officer). Like, what is he doing? about to go out hunting? you cannot carry your weapon like that outside the home ( at least not here)

Also why is he wearing what seems like a tactical vest? If he is currently not on patrol or on a tour in Iraq he literally has no business wearing that and carrying around a weapon. He seems like a little boy playing dress up. 

I know some people like to show off their guns, but all the responsible gun owners I know will maybe post like a video at a shooting range, or just pictures of the gun. Not carrying around the gun around the house. so stupid and unsafe. Duggars do it too, maybe its a southern thing. IDK

I'm catching a campy, village people vibe here. The Duggs and Dugg adjacent play act at being SOMETHING (midwife, missionary, cop/constable, politician) rather than actually training and legitimately assuming the role.  

DH is also a LEO. Guns are locked up if not being worn. Subtly is key. 

• Love 6
Just now, Catfin said:

I'm catching a campy, village people vibe here. The Duggs and Dugg adjacent play act at being SOMETHING (midwife, missionary, cop/constable, politician) rather than actually training and legitimately assuming the role.  

DH is also a LEO. Guns are locked up if not being worn. Subtly is key. 

totally agree :-) and hi fellow LEO spouse! <3

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

$5 says JBoob triggered this with the lesbian suggestions on the interwebs. 

I could buy that. Or possibly she fled in terror when one of the adult male Duggar offspring realized that Laura is a) single, b) really attractive, and c) not a relative and started leaving little courting gifts on her bed. I picture this as being Josiah, because I think he's the creepiest of the lot, but it really could be any of them.  

• Love 9