Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/1/2014 at 5:52 AM, momofsquid said:

That's what keeps me coming back too. I feel like they're always on the edge of a blowout and I don't want to miss the moment when it happens. Of course should something watchable finally did happen, odds are it wouldn't be on TV. It might turn out like Cheer Perfection, which melted down offstage and now we don't get to watch the fallout. 

"Reality" television at its best. I remember Kate from the "Amish" series saying the producers hounded them to create storylines--I wonder how much that plays into this family.

I don't judge them for their lifestyle or religious beliefs but rather it's the almost impossible dynamic that keeps me coming back. Someone, at some point (cameras or not), isn't going to be happy given how many people are involved. 

On 10/25/2015 at 8:10 AM, DakotaJustice said:

Oh yeah, if you go to CJ's living room and/or the old SWB - you'll see that we discussed the housing situation quite a bit (also at TWOP). If memory serves the builders had bought the land at a premium price right around the time the bubble popped and had just been sitting on it for years until the Browns came along.

Really, they did such a shitty job on those houses I'm surprised they're still in business (are they??)

And Janelle being a RE salesperson boggles me. She just doesn't seem to be a savvy or outgoing person, you know? And who would pick a RE person (I don't think she's an official Realtor per se) just based on her being on a shitty rinky dink reality show?

If Janelle was here in Silicon Valley trying to get in the business, she'd be eaten alive.

If you look at Google Earth timeline, you can see that cul-de-sac has been there for years, empty. Someone before the Browns put a couple homes on the other end and then the Browns came along.

And many houses in Vegas ARE built shitty.  Here, it's quantity, not quality. Drive through town and you'll see even MORE construction--clone homes pooped out at a wicked fast rate to get people in them. Might as well be made out of Leggos. 

• Love 2
On 11/2/2016 at 7:14 AM, momofsquid said:

I'm waking up this thread because I (re?)watched season one, episode one last night. In summary, I really think we only need to see two episodes of this show to get the full picture. The first episode shows a functional family, before the twin demons of TLC and Robyn. Then watch any recent episode to see what that double whammy did to them. In episode one Meri looked healthy and self-confident. Christine was ditzy but charming and funny. Kody was well groomed,employed (!) and appeared to treat all of the wives well. Janelle was Janelle. The kids all got along. Even Mariah was smiling. They were able to convince me that polygamy was working for them back then. We only caught a glimpse of Robyn but even she looked a lot younger, thinner and happier. And now...well, we all know what they turned into: a bunch of unemployed, bloated, miserable people sitting around seething with resentment while predator Robyn licks her chops and belches contentedly and pudgy, balding, disheveled Kody shoots his shark glare at one wife after another wondering why they don't worship him any more.

They all did seem better in season one. Amazing what 6 years, a tv show and a bunch of stress can do. 

You'd think they knew what they were getting into given reality television has been around for some time--so when Kody complained about seeing himself on tabloids in the supermarket I was like, really Kody? That's gotta suck but you have a TV show. The fact that you're getting publicity is good, even if it's "bad". People are still paying attention to you. When they stop, then start worrying. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

They all did seem better in season one. Amazing what 6 years, a tv show and a bunch of stress can do. 

You'd think they knew what they were getting into given reality television has been around for some time--so when Kody complained about seeing himself on tabloids in the supermarket I was like, really Kody? That's gotta suck but you have a TV show. The fact that you're getting publicity is good, even if it's "bad". People are still paying attention to you. When they stop, then start worrying. 

It wasn't really clear but what he may have been referring to not having signed up for was being targeted by a catfisher.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Don't worry, I seem to remember reading they were upside down on that house a few years ago. I bet they finally were able to break even, so no extra money for watches or a new Lexus for Daddy.

Based on the info in the Utah County tax assessors website, it appears to have been a short sale, but I'm no RE expert - I leave that to Janelle.  *grin*

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Based on the info in the Utah County tax assessors website, it appears to have been a short sale, but I'm no RE expert - I leave that to Janelle.  *grin*

I wondered if it was a short sale...

Usually a short sale happens to save both home "owner" and the bank from the complications of foreclosure.

6 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I wondered if it was a short sale...

Usually a short sale happens to save both home "owner" and the bank from the complications of foreclosure.

I don't know, I was hoping some real estate expert could look at the docs online and chime in.

31 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't know, I was hoping some real estate expert could look at the docs online and chime in.

I'm not an expert (but I do live in a house :D )

The term references the fact that the mortgage holder owes more on the loan than the property/house is worth.  It falls "short" so to speak. A short sale can only happen when the bank (holder of the loan) agrees to accept less than is owed and basically calls it even.  The property owner makes nothing on the sale because the entire amount from the sale goes straight to pay off the loan, and the bank has to agree to accept the lower amount.  Its a lose lose...but the reason it usually happens is because the property owner can't pay the mortgage and the bank stands to lose even more in foreclosure/reclaiming the property and then selling it themselves.  It's kinda like a save.  The bank gets some of its money and the property owner doesn't get a foreclosure on their credit and walks away from the property.

You see them happen a lot after housing/property bubbles burst.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Its a lose lose...but the reason it usually happens is because the property owner can't pay the mortgage and the bank stands to lose even more in foreclosure/reclaiming the property and then selling it themselves.  It's kinda like a save.  The bank gets some of its money and the property owner doesn't get a foreclosure on their credit and walks away from the property.

So:

1. Even renting to their relatives, the Browns couldn't make mortgage.

2. The bank didn't want to try and sell a plyg house themselves.

3. The Browns dodged yet ANOTHER financial bullet by not having a foreclosure on their record.

4. Their relatives probably picked up that house for a steal.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Erickson is the last name.  you can look up the info on the Utah County website, I guess it's public info since I was able to access it. 

I know of some Ericksons who are Mormon and have a very large family but they are not plyg.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 1

Jim Bob Duggar needs a few houses like that Lehi house on his compound.  It would be so much efficient to cram three of his children's families in one house.  And as most of the boys in his sphere of influence plan to be ministers it will be a cheaper way to support 18 of his kids.  I'm exempting Joy because she really does seem to be moving on to the protection of another headship.

• Love 2

Do we know why SW is now running two-hour episodes every week instead of one-hour shows?  Seems like Kody would want the one-hour format to continue, in order to run the show longer and make more money (but I don't know how it works as far as the Browns getting paid).  I can usually make it through an hour, and then I get bored and it takes me most of the week to slog through the remaining hour.  By doing it this way, we should be seeing the season finale in about two weeks, yes?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

Do we know why SW is now running two-hour episodes every week instead of one-hour shows?  Seems like Kody would want the one-hour format to continue, in order to run the show longer and make more money (but I don't know how it works as far as the Browns getting paid).  I can usually make it through an hour, and then I get bored and it takes me most of the week to slog through the remaining hour.  By doing it this way, we should be seeing the season finale in about two weeks, yes?

I was wondering the same thing and was down for the one hour episodes myself. It takes me a few days to get through it, just like you. 

• Love 1

At this point, I fully expect to see a re-re-re-re-hashing of Janelle making her way over to sit next to Meri on the couch.  I literally can't think of how many times we've had to watch that exact same snippet of film.  If TLC has to pad that much of a two-hour show with repeated filler, why not cut it down to one hour?

Although I'm the nitwit who eventually sits through the whole thing, so maybe somewhere, several SW editors are LOL-ing all the way to the bank, who knows.

• Love 2

The amount of show aired each week doesn't affect the Browns' pay check.  They would get x amount for a 30 minute episode and y amount for a 60 minute episode.  If the network airs one or ten episodes at a time it doesn't change their contract.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Maybe he cares more about what his best friend thinks than what Mykelti thinks?

I feel like he cares most of his time on the tee vee. Mykelti gets a head injury hiking with him but he is all about the home equity loan. 

• Love 1

I'm watching the episode playing tonight which just seems to be a mashup of previous wedding stuff from when Robyn was new.

Wow what a difference you can see in the Kody and Marie relationship. They really seemed to be in love and it showed when they looked at each other. All the wives seem to really genuinely like each other too. It's insanely different dynamic between all the adults then vs. now.  Almost makes me want to watch all the old seasons again to see when they lost that connection 

Also Madison had her natural blonde hair instead of black and it looked pretty good. 

• Love 4
On December 5, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Kohola3 said:

Maybe they will start a GoFundMe site so that all of their adoring fans can kick in to maintain the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.  Kodoofus is just narcissistic enough to try it.  Crap, I bet I just gave him the idea.

Wasn't the MySisterWife'sCloset essentially a gofundme? Buying any of that crap was really like donating money to them. Nobody would really want anything sold there...

• Love 3
On December 6, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Runnergirl said:

If you look at Google Earth timeline, you can see that cul-de-sac has been there for years, empty. Someone before the Browns put a couple homes on the other end and then the Browns came along.

And many houses in Vegas ARE built shitty.  Here, it's quantity, not quality. Drive through town and you'll see even MORE construction--clone homes pooped out at a wicked fast rate to get people in them. Might as well be made out of Leggos. 

If you look at those homes on Zillow, they are worth half of what they paid for them...Zillow isn't always accurate, but sometimes it is...

On December 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM, toodles said:

Not sure where to put this, but here goes.  Merry Christmas and happy Hanukkah to all my ptv friends.  I hope this is your best holiday ever.

Right back acha TOODLES! Coming here to snark with all of you is one of my favorite guilty pleasures! And often makes me late for work! That's why I love this dumbass show, because I get to hang with all you smartasses! HAVE A WONDERFUL, HEALTHY, HAPPY YEAR! Xoxoxo

• Love 5
1 hour ago, VedaPierce said:

If you look at those homes on Zillow, they are worth half of what they paid for them...Zillow isn't always accurate, but sometimes it is...

Zillow's algorithm has improved greatly, especially in markets with real estate public records access -- like Vegas; however, they estimate Meri's house as $630k (purchased $447k). I know nothing about Vegas real estate, has it rebounded?  Did they luck into this?

My husband and I purchased in the "ghetto" of Cincinnati (OTR, if anyone is familiar) for $363k in 2012. We put our house on the market two weeks ago for $690k. Under contract immediately.  If you can luck into something, like we did, you can make a nice profit.

But knowing the Browns, they'll take out second mortgages on these McMansions and lose them all. 

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

I would love to see them all lose weight and get in shape.  Whether they do this on their own or TLC stepping in to guide them with a trainer.  I think it would change the dynamic.

Four women happy with how the look and confident has to have impact on all their relationships.  

Some of the tensions would subside and they would be able to stand up to Kody more and perhaps effectively. Kody would see his power diminished.  He would see they don't need him as much as they have. 

Okay, will take the needle out of my arm.  But the hope as I typed that was fun while it lasted! 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, wings707 said:

I would love to see them all lose weight and get in shape.  Whether they do this on their own or TLC stepping in to guide them with a trainer.  I think it would change the dynamic.

Four women happy with how the look and confident has to have impact on all their relationships.  

Some of the tensions would subside and they would be able to stand up to Kody more and perhaps effectively. Kody would see his power diminished.  He would see they don't need him as much as they have. 

Okay, will take the needle out of my arm.  But the hope as I typed that was fun while it lasted! 

I'd love to see them get fit as well. They all looked better and more radiant when they were in Utah. I'm guessing they had more opportunities to be outdoors and stay active. It's not as easy here because from May-November it's so hot. You can get outdoors for fitness but it needs to be very early.

It would be a good change in dynamic. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I'd love to see them get fit as well. They all looked better and more radiant when they were in Utah. I'm guessing they had more opportunities to be outdoors and stay active. It's not as easy here because from May-November it's so hot. You can get outdoors for fitness but it needs to be very early.

It would be a good change in dynamic. 

I live in southern AZ so I understand their weather.  Losing weight is 80% diet so that is a good place to start!   There are many ways to get  in shape indoors too.  :^)

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I live in southern AZ so I understand their weather.  Losing weight is 80% diet so that is a good place to start!   There are many ways to get  in shape indoors too.  :^)

Yeah it's mostly what goes into one's mouth.

They could probably fit equipment in their homes, they're big enough. I personally hate indoor cardio. Boring! So some days I'm out there when it's 110. 

• Love 2
On 6/2/2014 at 3:48 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

On 6/2/2014 at 3:48 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

The beginning of season 2 is on every day this week at 5am CST on TLC. Watching season 2, episode 1, I forgot how much prettier Robyn used to be. What happened? Age? Living with KodeBeast and wicked witch Meri? That 4th baby?  It's like too much Kody semen over the years soured her looks.  Also, HATE the way she says "Day-den" (Dayton)

I also felt kind of bad. It was all the kids first day of public school (they were still in Utah, before Kody was led by the bright lights of Sin City in the middle of the night and disrupted 16 kids lives) and Christine had been up since 5am and was curling Aspyn's hair with a clipless, cone-like curling wand to make ringlets. Usually you do that to give some nice, falling, ringlet-LIKE curls.  They left hers as is and she went to school, looking like an Irish Dancer. I feel kind of bad, but I laughed. Her hair was so short back then, it looked like an add-on fall hairpiece. But who knows, maybe that's the look she was going for?

I love curly hair but I have straight :(

2 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Anyone hear of when these hobo's are coming back to teevee?  I kind of miss the snark.  It's been a long time since their last season.

I haven't seen anything about them returning. Anytime someone asks any of them on Twitter or Instagram, it goes unanswered.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I haven't seen anything about them returning. Anytime someone asks any of them on Twitter or Instagram, it goes unanswered.

I noticed that.  I was trying to poke around their official FB page and got squat.  Meri better start haking those ugly ass leggings faster.

• Love 3

@xwordfanatik Thanks. I found it very interesting. I had never before stopped to think about the idea that spouses are in limited supply, so to speak. Certainly helps explain why the FLDS runs their younger men off, though. If they didn't, there would be enough younger men to force a change.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MrSmith said:

@xwordfanatik Thanks. I found it very interesting. I had never before stopped to think about the idea that spouses are in limited supply, so to speak. Certainly helps explain why the FLDS runs their younger men off, though. If they didn't, there would be enough younger men to force a change.

If they didn't, the young men would run off the old men.  If they weren't so brainwashed from birth, that's exactly what would happen.  

• Love 3