Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

When they first moved, they were underwater on the Lehi house and couldn't sell it. Since then, there was a pipe burst or roof leak or something that caused Meri to have to go back and try to get estimates to have it repaired. Kody thought that a builder would come in and design it all for them to look at and choose one, and had Meri in tears from frustration. The fact I remember these things is part of the reason I stopped actually watching the show a few seasons ago; I've gotten dumber. I need my brain cells to retain info on 90 Day Fiance. :)

It has been stated all over the place that the builders have given them 3-year, interest-only loans, but when I looked at the public records way back when, there were mortgages from actual mortgage companies, and they weren't all from the same company. I think the interest-only loans was a guess that took hold and stuck, because it made sense.

• Love 3

When they first moved, they were underwater on the Lehi house and couldn't sell it. Since then, there was a pipe burst or roof leak or something that caused Meri to have to go back and try to get estimates to have it repaired. Kody thought that a builder would come in and design it all for them to look at and choose one, and had Meri in tears from frustration. The fact I remember these things is part of the reason I stopped actually watching the show a few seasons ago; I've gotten dumber. I need my brain cells to retain info on 90 Day Fiance. :)

It has been stated all over the place that the builders have given them 3-year, interest-only loans, but when I looked at the public records way back when, there were mortgages from actual mortgage companies, and they weren't all from the same company. I think the interest-only loans was a guess that took hold and stuck, because it made sense.

I also remember the 3-year interest-only loans as a strongly feasible speculation that cropped up when they first got the houses. Since then it has been repeated as fact over and over. It sounds like just the sort of speculative financing Kody would chase, which is why I think it's been accepted as gospel, but I'm not convinced it's the case. It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know it to be true.

• Love 1

I also remember the 3-year interest-only loans as a strongly feasible speculation that cropped up when they first got the houses. Since then it has been repeated as fact over and over. It sounds like just the sort of speculative financing Kody would chase, which is why I think it's been accepted as gospel, but I'm not convinced it's the case. It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know it to be true.

There was an ep when they were first looking at houses with Mona from the same builder (might have been the same culdesac just the other end of it) and the mortgage expert gave them that option since their credit was so shitty.  They ended up turning down the houses because "someone else bought one of the homes and we all wanted to be together" or some shit like that.  Apparently The Credit Doc that Robyn went to was able to wave his majic wand and get them real mortgages.  Yoikes.

• Love 1

There was an ep when they were first looking at houses with Mona from the same builder (might have been the same culdesac just the other end of it) and the mortgage expert gave them that option since their credit was so shitty.  They ended up turning down the houses because "someone else bought one of the homes and we all wanted to be together" or some shit like that.  Apparently The Credit Doc that Robyn went to was able to wave his majic wand and get them real mortgages.  Yoikes.

With the real estate market being a horror show since '08, I have a hunch there was a lot of creative financing and tap dancing done to get their asses into those homes. There were entire housing developments in Las Vegas that turned into virtual ghost towns when the big bust hit.

• Love 4

The stupidity of TLC just boggles my mind. Sister wives is now the Robyn show, who is without question the least liked wife. Someone viewers can't stand? Put her and her howlers front and center.

Duggars went away for awhile, but let's bring back Jill the grifter and jessa and bin, the insufferable religion know it all's.

And as a personal pet peeve, NONE of these people have real jobs.

The TLC morons in charge of this programming must be on the dole. From who I don't know, but it's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

• Love 1

With the real estate market being a horror show since '08, I have a hunch there was a lot of creative financing and tap dancing done to get their asses into those homes. There were entire housing developments in Las Vegas that turned into virtual ghost towns when the big bust hit.

Oh yeah, if you go to CJ's living room and/or the old SWB - you'll see that we discussed the housing situation quite a bit (also at TWOP). If memory serves the builders had bought the land at a premium price right around the time the bubble popped and had just been sitting on it for years until the Browns came along.

Really, they did such a shitty job on those houses I'm surprised they're still in business (are they??)

And Janelle being a RE salesperson boggles me. She just doesn't seem to be a savvy or outgoing person, you know? And who would pick a RE person (I don't think she's an official Realtor per se) just based on her being on a shitty rinky dink reality show?

If Janelle was here in Silicon Valley trying to get in the business, she'd be eaten alive.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 2

The fact the show is referred on the real estate's business site says it all. They are not meant to be professionals.

ETA: Janelle is listed as a Real Estate Sales Professional and Christine is listed as a Real Estate Salesperson.

Edited by ginger90

Kody calling Aurora "mrs Brown, holding her hand going into court, all the hugging etc, if you can't see who wife #5 is going to be, you're blind. She will come of age when her mother hits menopause, and Kody, ever the egomaniac, will be looking for a younger model to have more babies. And she'll be right there.

• Love 1

Just a matter of time. Not 'if' but 'when'. It's inevitable with a narcissistic egomaniac like this stupid, fugly, poor excuse for a grown man.

I have no respect either for women who tolerate this lopsided bullshit of a 'marriage'.

Personally, until polygamous wives get to use that same logic, 'love shouldn't be divided, it should be multiplied,' to get their own stable of adoring husbands, I refuse to watch this hot mess.

No worries - even if the show is cancelled before that happens, just like all the other reality show has beens and wanna-bes - they'll keep everyone updated via YouTube and social media.

I don't even watch the show and i know everything that's going on. Besides, the show only depicts what they want us to see anyway.

• Love 1

I have never understood why the other wives sit there during those stupid couch sessions and listen to Robyn cry time and time again (well, I know why - because it's in their contracts or whatever).  But given the skewed timelines this show force-feeds us, the wives are usually discussing events that happened months ago, yet there's Robyn with yet another fresh set of fake tears.  Typically, emotions become somewhat dulled by the passage of time, but not for Sobbin'.  I know this will never happen, but I keep hoping one or more of the wives will rise, rip off her mic, and storm off when Robyn turns on the dry waterworks for the 285th time.  Robyn's need to be the center of attention during the couch sessions boggles my mind, and watching the other wives just sit there and look at her while she wipes eye-boogers yet again...sheesh.  Now, as soon as she starts crying, I chuckle.  She must have to squeeze a lot of muscles to make those pretend-crying faces.

• Love 5

No worries - even if the show is cancelled before that happens, just like all the other reality show has beens and wanna-bes - they'll keep everyone updated via YouTube and social media.

I don't even watch the show and i know everything that's going on. Besides, the show only depicts what they want us to see anyway.

I agree - I feel the same way about the Duggars. I didn't watch that either but now that it's over I'm really looking forward to watching over the years and seeing what happens with the Duggar kids. It will be similar here. Most of us hope that these women leave Kody, or at least one or two of them. It will never happen while the show is still on. So I am looking forward to keeping tabs on them after the show when they don't have paychecks linked to them staying together, or don't have paychecks at all.

• Love 1

I agree - I feel the same way about the Duggars. I didn't watch that either but now that it's over I'm really looking forward to watching over the years and seeing what happens with the Duggar kids. It will be similar here. Most of us hope that these women leave Kody, or at least one or two of them. It will never happen while the show is still on. So I am looking forward to keeping tabs on them after the show when they don't have paychecks linked to them staying together, or don't have paychecks at all.

Actually, and I know this is mean of me to say, things should get even MORE interesting once the show is cancelled and Kody tries to find ways to stay relevant and get another TV network interested in following them.  (Ha!)

• Love 6

Kody calling Aurora "mrs Brown, holding her hand going into court, all the hugging etc, if you can't see who wife #5 is going to be, you're blind. She will come of age when her mother hits menopause, and Kody, ever the egomaniac, will be looking for a younger model to have more babies. And she'll be right there.

If it's good enough for Woody Allen, it's good enough for Kody Brown.

• Love 3

OK upon further inspection, these folks in the link are not the same deal as the SW group. For one, the two women were together first, got married or had a domestic partnership, then one of them said she missed having a man around, hence the guy.  Not going to link to one of the kids being born video but it is on you tube and it is not anything like the SW kids being born that we saw on TV. I don't know how these people manage to live out here and have kids looking at their link http://www.lookslikelovetome.com/?page_id=4

WTH is an 'activated dreemer'? Well they must manage to get by. It almost makes SW look all stodgy and conservative lol.

(I'm out here in the bay area as well, born here- see a lot of different kinds of families, probably no one would raise an eyebrow at SW out here but yeah, it's not like everyone is in some hippie-dippy commune type thing by ay stretch)

Edited by BlackWidow
  • Love 2

Just a matter of time. Not 'if' but 'when'. It's inevitable with a narcissistic egomaniac like this stupid, fugly, poor excuse for a grown man.

I have no respect either for women who tolerate this lopsided bullshit of a 'marriage'.

Personally, until polygamous wives get to use that same logic, 'love shouldn't be divided, it should be multiplied,' to get their own stable of adoring husbands, I refuse to watch this hot mess.

If I thought Kody was smart enough to be the mastermind behind the whole catfishing thing, I'd wonder if he was planning to have Meri move out of the cult-de-sac so he could move in #5.  Otherwise, they'd have to wait for another house behind the gate to go up for sale, and they're already upside down in 4 mortgages.

NOTHING about that guy would surprise me any more, unless he were to get a real job.

• Love 1

This just struck me about the "Love should be multiplied, not divided" thing - It seems to be only multiplied for the men in these polygamous relationships, and divided for the women.  The men have all the "love" and female companionship they'll ever need, but the women continually have to make do with less and less as new wives are added.

Given the coming attractions for next week's episode, it looks to me like there's a very real possibility that the catfish thing was masterminded by Kody, probably in conjunction with the producers of the show.  It just seems a little too conveeeenient that they are alluding to some big family upset coming down the pike as if they are capitalizing on the situation.  If it were a real situation, would they really let that happen?  And all just at the moment when they need another big splash to keep ratings up.  It all smells staged to me!

• Love 1

I had no idea where to put this statement, I landed here since it's a general comment on the show...

I am watching the marathon today and every time a new episode starts and it shows the intro where they each make their little statements I just get angry. I just had a little epiphany, maybe it's obvious to the rest of you, but I just pieced it together...the most frustrating to me is when Kody says "love should be multiplied, not divided" basic math would tell you that yes when you add people there are more people who love you, but your love to them is divided more by the people who are added. And it hit me why that is Kody's tag line, of anyone in th family he is the one who with each new family member gains more adoration, another person to fawn over him... But as he keeps adding everyone else's love/attention from Kody is further divided. I mean, I get that they all love each other, so yes everyone gains another person to love, but as someone who already proclaims how thin his time is spread adding another person to further divide his time just doesn't seem logical to me.

• Love 4

Thanks for mentioning the marathon, leighroda. NOT.  Now I am going to be watching all day, lol! 

I tuned in just in time to see Kody and Robin about to leave to get their legulmerrij.  They showed a clip of Meri saying that Kody and Robyn were sneaking off to do things alone so he could "protect" her and Janelle and Christine from this "date that doesn't mean anything," but does have the potential to cause hard feelings.

WHAT A CROCK

Why would it cause hard feelings? It was this great thing they did for the kids. Why hide it? You don't have to celebrate that day instead of their first wedding day, if the first day is what really counts.  But why does it need to be secret?  The two of them having their secret parking lot rendezvous shown on TV kind of makes it not so quiet and discreet.  If they really wanted to keep it subtle, maybe they should not have shown it on TV.  

I would bet they would have happily had cameras in there showing them getting married if they had been allowed in the room.  Not fooled, people.  Not fooled.

And didn't they take a trip to Hawaii after getting married?  Out of Robyn's grocery money?  Talk about creating hard feelings.  

They also showed footage of Robyn and Kody's original wedding, including Robyn going to feed Kody a piece of cake.  As Robyn picks up the piece of cake, Kody is telling her, "don't go easy on me ... you know I can take it" totally urging Robyn to make a big spectacle of smooshing the cake in his face (the way idiots do at their wedding sometimes).  When Robyn refuses and gently feeds him a piece of cake, Kody says " oh come on."  He was totally disappointed Robyn didn't give him his little moment to shine.  With a face full of smashed wedding cake.  Idiot. 

I know Kody has done a lot of stupid things that show how lame and self-absorbed he is, but for me that moment with the cake just makes me sicker than all the others.  It was just so obvious he wanted everyone looking at him (like you aren't the center of attention enough on your wedding day) and the little pout when he didn't get his way.  Ugh, I'd smash a whole tier of cake in his face if I had my way.  But he would probably like it too much

• Love 5

I had no idea where to put this statement, I landed here since it's a general comment on the show...

I am watching the marathon today and every time a new episode starts and it shows the intro where they each make their little statements I just get angry. I just had a little epiphany, maybe it's obvious to the rest of you, but I just pieced it together...the most frustrating to me is when Kody says "love should be multiplied, not divided" basic math would tell you that yes when you add people there are more people who love you, but your love to them is divided more by the people who are added. And it hit me why that is Kody's tag line, of anyone in th family he is the one who with each new family member gains more adoration, another person to fawn over him... But as he keeps adding everyone else's love/attention from Kody is further divided. I mean, I get that they all love each other, so yes everyone gains another person to love, but as someone who already proclaims how thin his time is spread adding another person to further divide his time just doesn't seem logical to me.

That is SUCH a good point. Whenever I heard that line, I wondered how it made any sense. Of course I was looking at it from the women's perspective: Kody's love is divided umpteen ways (unless you're Robyn of course). It never occurred to me that he was talking from his OWN perspective: Kody gets all of the love, times umpteen! I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think to switch it around to put Kody in the centre. I must be new.

• Love 5

That is SUCH a good point. Whenever I heard that line, I wondered how it made any sense. Of course I was looking at it from the women's perspective: Kody's love is divided umpteen ways (unless you're Robyn of course). It never occurred to me that he was talking from his OWN perspective: Kody gets all of the love, times umpteen! I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think to switch it around to put Kody in the centre. I must be new.

Lol, I totally agree, I always felt love was divided regardless of what they said... But it just occurred to me, that the kids all love their parents, I'm sure they love all of the wives/moms, but your love for your own parents is just a little different; so by that logic since all the kids except for Robyn's are Kody's, he's the only dad (and Robyn's kids also love Kody as their father, so they aren't even really an exception. I think it just summarizes how self serving their lifestyle is for Kody.

Many folks complain about how TLC used to be "The Learning Channel" with actual educational/science shows, and now it's all mindless trash and freak shows. (Though I'm right there watching the trash with the rest of y'all!)

I've decided, though, that some shows are far more educational than we ever thought - just not in the way the participants or TLC ever thought they would be.

*Sister Wives* was supposed to show the joys of polygamy (actually polygyny, since they're all about having multiple wives and never multiple husbands) and how this lifestyle can make everyone happy and secure. The actual result has been to show that when men start sharing their time and affection with more than one woman - whether he's "married" to them or just seeing them on the side - he only ends up surrounded by women who are angry, bitter, jealous, humiliated, severely repressed, emotionally starved, and living on crumbs. The man gets a bunch of extra sex, but aside from that nobody is happy and the whole thing sucks. This show is the best recommendation for healthy, loving, devoted monogamy that I've ever seen. And for the idea that if you really want a harem of women, just pay a bunch of hookers because they won't complain and they can still get their emotional needs met elsewhere.

The Duggars are another one. They were supposed to show us all how wonderful it is to raise your kids in a huge religious family that is far removed from the evils and temptations of the modern (secular) world. The actual result was to show that no parent can give adequate time and attention to that many children and that the severe repression of this lifestyle can easily lead to young adults who have very warped and unhealthy attitudes about sex. This show is an excellent recommendation for sex education, regarding both contraception and healthy attitudes towards sex, and for limiting the number of children you have.

See, it really is The Learning Channel! What shows have you honestly learned something from?

Edited by okerry
  • Love 14

Many folks complain about how TLC used to be "The Learning Channel" with actual educational/science shows, and now it's all mindless trash and freak shows. (Though I'm right there watching the trash with the rest of y'all!)

I've decided, though, that some shows are far more educational than we ever thought - just not in the way the participants or TLC ever thought they would be.

*Sister Wives* was supposed to show the joys of polygamy (actually polygyny, since they're all about having multiple wives and never multiple husbands) and how this lifestyle can make everyone happy and secure. The actual result has been to show that when men start sharing their time and affection with more than one woman - whether he's "married" to them or just seeing them on the side - he only ends up surrounded by women who are angry, bitter, jealous, humiliated, severely repressed, emotionally starved, and living on crumbs. The man gets a bunch of extra sex, but aside from that nobody is happy and the whole thing sucks. This show is the best recommendation for healthy, loving, devoted monogamy that I've ever seen. And for the idea that if you really want a harem of women, just pay a bunch of hookers because they won't complain and they can still get their emotional needs met elsewhere.

The Duggars are another one. They were supposed to show us all how wonderful it is to raise your kids in a huge religious family that is far removed from the evils and temptations of the modern (secular) world. The actual result was to show that no parent can give adequate time and attention to that many children and that the severe repression of this lifestyle can easily lead to young adults who have very warped and unhealthy attitudes about sex. This show is an excellent recommendation for sex education, regarding both contraception and healthy attitudes towards sex, and for limiting the number of children you have.

See, it really is The Learning Channel! What shows have you honestly learned something from?

I learned that famewhoring is not a good long term career goal to have. And if you think it is(looking at you duggars and Browns), karma has no problem reminding you of what a moron you really are.
  • Love 4

This whole situation will eventually fall apart.  This situation is not sustainable...especially when they are all empty nesters (like Meri).  Actually, it's already falling apart listening to all their challenges.

Edited by drtammy
  • Love 1

I keep struggling with this issue about Kody...

Kody wanted to "legally" adopt Robyn's kids.  He was so passionate about the kids being "legally" his children that he was willing to "go to war."  He was so driven to make the children "legally" his children, he jumped through many hoops (divorce, re-marriage, attorney fees, court fees, etc.) to make it happen.

My comment/question...For someone who espouses that his religion values "spiritual marriage" (non-legal marriage)...why is "legal adoption" so important?  In other words, it's okay to have many "spiritual" wives" or "spritual marriages"...but it's not okay to have just "spiritual" (stepchildren) children.  He believes the children have to be "legally adopted" kids.  AND...after the adoption...the family had a big celebration of the "legal' adoption. What?  Isn't that kinda contradictory thinking? Double-standards?

Another thought...if "spiritual" marriage is the same as legal marriage in his religion, then why even be "legally" married to ANY one of the wives?  Wouldn't it be more fair to NOT be legally married to any of his "spiritual" wives.  That way, everyone is legally single and spiritually married.  

Bottom line...it's perfectly fine to have "unlawful" wives....but it's extremely important to have "legal" children.  In other words...wives don't have to be legal...but children do!      Talk about cognitive dissonance.

In reality, it probably came down to numbers/money.  Kody probably wanted to "legally" adopt Robyn's kids so he could include more dependants on his annual federal tax return.  From a tax prespective, it's a huge benefit to be married to Robyn and claim all these kids as legal dependents.  Oh...and the older kids are growing up and won't be dependents much longer (Meri's only child may not be tax dependent much longer)...so better round up so more dependents!  Sorry...but I'm an accountant and know this happens.

Edited by drtammy
  • Love 8

I keep struggling with this issue about Kody...

Kody wanted to "legally" adopt Robyn's kids.  He was so passionate about the kids being "legally" his children that he was willing to "go to war."  He was so driven to make the children "legally" his children, he jumped through many hoops (divorce, re-marriage, attorney fees, court fees, etc.) to make it happen.

My comment/question...For someone who espouses that his religion values "spiritual marriage" (non-legal marriage)...why is "legal adoption" so important?  In other words, it's okay to have many "spiritual" wives" or "spritual marriages"...but it's not okay to have just "spiritual" (stepchildren) children.  He believes the children have to be "legally adopted" kids.  AND...after the adoption...the family had a big celebration of the "legal' adoption. What?  Isn't that kinda contradictory thinking? Double-standards?

Another thought...if "spiritual" marriage is the same as legal marriage in his religion, then why even be "legally" married to ANY one of the wives?  Wouldn't it be more fair to NOT be legally married to any of his "spiritual" wives.  That way, everyone is legally single and spiritually married.  

Bottom line...it's perfectly fine to have "unlawful" wives....but it's extremely important to have "legal" children.  In other words...wives don't have to be legal...but children do!      Talk about cognitive dissonance.

In reality, it probably came down to numbers/money.  Kody probably wanted to "legally" adopt Robyn's kids so he could include more dependants on his annual federal tax return.  From a tax prespective, it's a huge benefit to be married to Robyn and claim all these kids as legal dependents.  Oh...and the older kids are growing up and won't be dependents much longer (Meri's only child may not be tax dependent much longer)...so better round up so more dependents!  Sorry...but I'm an accountant and know this happens.

I can understand your confusion. You are trying to apply logic and common sense. That doesn't work in Brown land. You made an interesting point about the deductions. It sounds sneaky enough and grifting enough to be something they would do. But that can't be true. It was ALL FOR THE CHILDREN!!
  • Love 3

I'm waking up this thread because I (re?)watched season one, episode one last night. In summary, I really think we only need to see two episodes of this show to get the full picture. The first episode shows a functional family, before the twin demons of TLC and Robyn. Then watch any recent episode to see what that double whammy did to them. In episode one Meri looked healthy and self-confident. Christine was ditzy but charming and funny. Kody was well groomed,employed (!) and appeared to treat all of the wives well. Janelle was Janelle. The kids all got along. Even Mariah was smiling. They were able to convince me that polygamy was working for them back then. We only caught a glimpse of Robyn but even she looked a lot younger, thinner and happier. And now...well, we all know what they turned into: a bunch of unemployed, bloated, miserable people sitting around seething with resentment while predator Robyn licks her chops and belches contentedly and pudgy, balding, disheveled Kody shoots his shark glare at one wife after another wondering why they don't worship him any more.

• Love 15

I've never seen the show before, but I've seen the TLC commercial for this season several times now. I FLOVED Kody Brown's mournfully intoning that "it was a mistake to ever agree to filming". Uh, dumbass, you'd be standing on a street corner begging for change if you'd turned down TLC. He must think the rest of us are idiots.

I'd also love to know why these women bought his line of BS, too, but I'll have to do some reading on this forum before asking more questions.

• Love 7

Oh yeah...you just knew that when he solemnly intoned that line about not being filmed, he was secretly thinking: "This is going to make a GREAT tagline!  Must practice serious caveman face in mirror!"

As for the women buying Kody's BS...Meri was young and stupid and in love with the hawt Kody Brown, and was willing to buy whatever he was selling.  Janelle was divorced and for reasons I will never understand, thought it would be super fun to hook up with her ex sister-in-law's hubby.  Christine was plyg royalty and wanted to be the funny, cute, ditzy, LAST wife of the still semi-hawt Kody Brown.  Robyn saw the dollar signs.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, toodles said:

I checked the website and there is next to nothing left.  I wonder what they did with the rest of the crap they were selling.

Well today if you purchased LLR from Meri she was throwing in a free holiday charm bracelet...

• Love 2

Where the hell are they going to live when the McMansions foreclose?

Maybe they will start a GoFundMe site so that all of their adoring fans can kick in to maintain the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.  Kodoofus is just narcissistic enough to try it.  Crap, I bet I just gave him the idea.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

If there's any equity in it, he'll put it towards paying down on Robyn's McMansion - the one "wife" who never lived there.

Oh, crap.  I just gave him another idea.

Oh please.  Doing something sensible with any excess cash?  Are you new here? You must have lost your head for a moment.  Lol

Edited by toodles
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, toodles said:

Oh please.  Doing something sensible with any excess cash?  Are you new here? You must have lost your head for a moment.  Lol

Right.  There is probably a new watch Kody has been lusting after.

• Love 6