Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

thought that Chandler Massey wanted to leave?  Didn't they have to beg him to come back, because he was happy finishing his education and pursuing other endeavors?  

The first time ages ago. He's finished college then came back, he's 30. The poster you quoted was talking about them firing his ass now and keeping Ben and shoving him front burner now because of DE clout. 

GG is only active and given story because Cordays wife has a crush on him ans prevailed on her husband. Ben was rehired because of DE pulling rank. I don't like soaps that run that way. It's an artistic  vision not your fantasy crush employment agency. Also as touched on above I think that could cause major resentment behind the scenes. Like "why did you go to bat for this person but not me?" "Why is this person still hired and given front burner so more money when less talented or experienced?" All that jazz

• Love 7
(edited)

I think Ben plays crazy well.  Other times I find him not so good lol.   Rafe I think plays his part fine. 
  It’s all subjective.  Mom said she used to watch as the world turns and thought the actor who played Betsy was awful.  At the time Betsy was played by Meg Ryan.  

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

The first time ages ago. He's finished college then came back, he's 30. The poster you quoted was talking about them firing his ass now and keeping Ben and shoving him front burner now because of DE clout. 

Right, I knew that we were talking about the second time, but I thought that he wanted to leave then too.  I thought it was Freddie Smith who was fired?  I could easily be wrong though; but I'm sure Chandler is still happy pursuing other roles rather than being typecast as Will for his entire life.

(Who is DE?) 

• LOL 1

Lolz I meant DH / Mar not DE 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think both Freddie and Chandler would come back if they were asked. I'd rather them be around at once Lumi is here and Gabi's front burner. There's a lot they could do right now. Show could stand to snip some other people on current roster as well. 

• Love 6

A little background..RSW gave an interview a couple of years ago where he credited Deidre Hall for him being on contract with a good story. He said after he thought he was gone for good they brought him back to film a few scenes, some of those scenes were with DH. When they were finished, Deidre, who apparently was such a fan of working with him shouted "get this kid a contract". And he got one. I don't blame him I blame her lol 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Just in case you needed a reminder, Deidre loves her some RSW..and yes I blame her for probably never being rid of him

Screenshot_20210524-0908062_50 (1).png

Damn, Robert's got good taste in music. Anyway, I do get the vibe that RSW is a nice, positive guy to be around. I remember following his Twitter back in summer 2013 when he was in the short-lived All My Children reboot as Petey Courtladt. (Physically I loved his casting because I thought he looked like a young Palmer.) He was really sweet and supportive towards his cast mates on the show, and it left me with a positive impression of him. 

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

or the old Ciara...  now those are when you can blame the actors, IMO

We were so close to having the first real kid lifer (aka Robin Scorpio or Jessica Buchanan or Starr Manning) with Ciara, and then we got Jo from the Facts of Life instead, lol. (I guess Julie Clark does count as the Days kid lifer because she did come on the show as a child and we saw her reach adulthood. Sami kinda comes close, but Ali was already 16 when she joined the show.) I remember the guy who played Chase was pretty pissed at how everything went down and I don't blame him. Chase and Ciara should have been set up as a couple. I think the guy playing Chase was naieve enough to believe that Chase was going to be redeemed because it's not like that hadn't happened before. I do think it's hilarious the teen scene around Ciara failed so badly they had them graduate early.

• Love 4

I think DH is getting a little too much credit (or blame 😆) for RSW.  I'm sure she said she liked him and threw out a "get this kid a contract" but I doubt they jumped at her request.  They probably liked him too. 

And he's around because of CIN--not because of DH. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Watch Days get one acting nom and it's RSW lol.

Yep I can see it! Like the year all the actual great actresses got snubbed but um Kate Mansi got nominated. Dont know if its true but I read RSW submitted the scenes where Eve tortured Ben. He was actually good in those 😫

• Love 2
1 minute ago, howmanywords said:

I read RSW submitted the scenes where Eve tortured Ben. He was actually good in those 😫

I didn't watch them so I wouldn't know. I know in fast forward it just looked to me like him all oiled up and making bad faces lol. But you're making me even more convinced that he'll get nommed now.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't watch them so I wouldn't know. I know in fast forward it just looked to me like him all oiled up and making bad faces lol. But you're making me even more convinced that he'll get nommed now.

I couldn't watch those scenes either. He is not a good actor and if he is nominated it is pathetic.

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow. They specifically excluded the Days writing team for an emmy.  With only 4 soaps that's just sad.

And just while I'm commenting even though this has 0 to do with Days, if Maurice Benard wins the Emmy I'll have to wonder what everyone is drinking.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I like Wally, but he’s not a lead.

I agree, I like Wally's portrayal of Justin, but he is not a "Lead Actor", I would consider him a Supporting Actor(when he was younger, I would have considered him a Lead Actor because he had major Storylines )

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Wow. They specifically excluded the Days writing team for an emmy.  With only 4 soaps that's just sad.

That makes zero sense. I mean, if you're gonna exclude one, it should be GH lol. It feels kinda pointed that they left out Days. They must have pissed someone off.

• Love 2
(edited)
39 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That makes zero sense. I mean, if you're gonna exclude one, it should be GH lol. It feels kinda pointed that they left out Days. They must have pissed someone off.

Normally I'd agree but GH at least had that episode when the Floating Rib exploded and Lulu was sent away for treatment. If they submitted that episode I would understand. Otherwise yea..

I can't think of any Days episode that stands out beyond the April Fools one.

That being said these Daytime Emmys don't really mean much they're politicized popularity contests nothing more.

Edited by CanaryFan98

The writing SHOULD BE excluded. The others may be terrible, but at least they spread out their terrible by differing scenarios.

Days?

Masks, masks, stupidity, masks, stupidity, masks.

Even the Cracker Jack prize that is the Daytime Emmys now sees how awful it is.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Normally I'd agree but GH at least had that episode when the Floating Rib exploded and Lulu was sent away for treatment. If they submitted that episode I would understand. Otherwise yea..

I can't think of any Days episode that stands out beyond the April Fools one.

That being said these Daytime Emmys don't really mean much they're politicized popularity contests nothing more.

The Emmys lost their relevance years ago and we have all heard of the politics behind the scenes.  A damn shame! people always got to corrupt things for their own gain..

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Well... Ron IS an asshole. 

Corday isn't exactly Mr Personality either 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The writing SHOULD BE excluded. The others may be terrible, but at least they spread out their terrible by differing scenarios.

Days?

Ha. As much as I hated masks, masks, masks, I do think it lead to a really strong run of episodes recently that I think should be submitted next year.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Let me correct that for you: Masks, dead people brought back to life, kidnapping and stupidity.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

There was also Allie's rape storyline and Ron's comments that left a lot to be desired as well.

Exactly! the fans on twitter were letting him have it  so bad for his stupid comments that he had to delete his comments..

I haven’t watched the daytime Emmy’s in forever. But haven’t they always pretty much excluded/screwed over Days as opposed to the other soaps?

The few times I have tuned in, I just remember getting frustrated with the lack of noms, compared to all the other soaps.

I could totally be wrong here

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can't see anyone giving a shit about that lol. I feel like he personally pissed off someone involved in the Emmys or whatever, which is easy to believe since he is a dick.

An arrogant one to boot.. 

• Love 2

He said in the article he had issues w sex and gambling as well. 

I feel like the leadership on the show could create a more nurturing and supportive environment for its talent. They don't even have a set acting couch to help them prepare or review. I don't think they checking in to see how well people are doing or let them know their valued, JMHO 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Patrick was my favorite Lockhart and the show acts like he never existed. Which I guess considering is probably for the best but I have a whole list of characters I wish had that treatment.

All Lockharts suck and should be forgotten! (Bonnie needs to be Adrienne somehow, some way!) But I can get on board with other characters receiving the same treatment.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2021 at 8:34 PM, WendyCR72 said:

All Lockharts suck and should be forgotten! (Bonnie needs to be Adrienne somehow, some way!) But I can get on board with other characters receiving the same treatment.

It's always surprised me that Ron never brought back Farah Fath, who basically was the leading young lady towards the end of One Life to Live's run. I mean, he tried to bring on Jon Paul Lavosier. I wonder if he and Farah had a falling out. They mention Mimi and it's not like Farah is busy.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's always surprised me that Ron never brought back Farah Fath, who basically was the leading young lady towards the end of One Life to Live's run. I mean, he tried to bring on Jon Paul Lavosier. I wonder if he and Farah had a falling out. They mention Mimi and it's not like Farah is busy.

Mimi did return during the Baby Bonnie storyline that was when we found out that Rex/Mimi had a ONS that produced their daughter Emily. I know FF had a baby around that time so I wonder if she decided to be a SAHM.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1

Farah started playing competitive poker while on OLTL. I think she said more than once on social media that she wasn't interested in returning to DAYS so I was surprised when the news came out that she accepted one of their offers since I'm pretty sure there were ones before it. There was another actress playing Mimi for that online Last Blast storyline web series. The poker thing is how she met her now husband.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Mimi did return during the Baby Bonnie storyline that was when we found out that Rex/Mimi had a ONS that produced their daughter Emily. I know FF had a baby around that time so I wonder if she decided to be a SAHM.

I take very long hiatuses from this show often so I miss a lot. Thanks for filling me in.

Per SOD Precious Way is being replaced by Raven Bowens in the role of Chanel. I knew that Precious wasn’t long for the role. Between her baby voice and limited acting skills she was being swallowed by the other actors. Bowens assumed the role on April 1st & will first air on July 6th. 

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Per SOD Precious Way is being replaced by Raven Bowens in the role of Chanel. I knew that Precious wasn’t long for the role. Between her baby voice and limited acting skills she was being swallowed by the other actors. 

PW actually got the lead in a new sitcom and that's why she left. She moved on to bigger things lol.

As I've said elsewhere, I really hope the recast can bring something similar energy wise because PW's energy is what makes Chanel such a fun and dynamic character for me.

• Love 8

I guess she wasn’t under contract. I’m sure all the lines she had to memorize for Days will come in handy. That said, she might not even give the soap a second glance if the show becomes a hit. LOL!!! It will be interesting to see what nuChanel brings to the role and working with Jackee’.

• Love 1