Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sami made stuff happen.  You can root against her schemes but still appreciate a character who is proactive as opposed to reactive.  That's how I think villains took over so much on soaps and in popularity, somewhat.  Heroes and heroines are so often reactive but almost every villain is proactive.

Yeah, I think that ws it.  Like I said it was right after college, and I was floundering a bit (nothing major), and I think I just admired her ability to decide what she wanted and go after it and darn the consequences.  I would like to be like that, but more moral.

• Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

While I do not specifically remember Stuart Damon (best known as Dr. Alan Quartermaine on GH) appearing on Days, details in write ups and the Days Wiki page lists him as a past actor.

In any case, in case anyone missed it, Stuart Damon has died at age 84.

FYI he played Governor Jim Ford who Anna was once involved with back in the day she seduced him and took compromising pics of him to use as blackmail so he would pardon Nicole from her prison stint for Sydnapping.  

However he'll always be Alan Quartermaine to me. Sad day since Ray MacDonnell passed too.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

However he'll always be Alan Quartermaine to me. Sad day since Ray McConnell passed too.

It's Ray MacDonnell, just FYI, but yeah. So many soap vets are passing on. 😥

• Love 2
On 6/29/2021 at 6:26 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I remember years ago Alison Sweeney talked about how old ladies used to hit her with their purses because of something Sami did. 

Yeah I don't quite get how one gets to that point.

Embarrassed to admit this, but…

I met the cast of Passions at a fan event once during the time Sheridan had died and even though I know they are actors, when I met Mackenzie Westmore (Sheridan) I said, “I know you’re not really dead.” 🤦🏻‍♀️

As I walked away I felt so stupid. Maybe that’s my saving grace. Plus, I didn’t commit or threaten violence on any of the actors and never have.  😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

I met the cast of Passions at a fan event once during the time Sheridan had died and even though I know they are actors, when I met Mackenzie Westmore (Sheridan) I said, “I know you’re not really dead.” 🤦🏻‍♀️

I don't see anything wrong with that. She knew what you meant lol.

Actors themselves will often talk about their characters using 'I' so!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

The old soap stars seem to be passing away at an alarming rate. 😥  Funny how I saw her on an old Hunter repeat some time back and wondered what she was up to.

May Ms. Sampler RIP.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

FYI he played Governor Jim Ford who Anna was once involved with back in the day she seduced him and took compromising pics of him to use as blackmail so he would pardon Nicole from her prison stint for Sydnapping.  

However he'll always be Alan Quartermaine to me. Sad day since Ray MacDonnell passed too.

it’s all coming back to me! I DO remember this!! Ahh..the good ole’ days when Days wasn’t as bad as Days is these days

Edited by Chellfairy
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 PM, RedElf said:

Mike Manning (Charlie) won a Daytime Emmy for Best Supporting Actor for his performance on The Bay, which stars Mary Beth Evans.

He announced during his acceptance speech that he just got married.  His husband is in the finance field.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

There's going to be another digital series spinoff.  All talk of that series should go in the thread dedicated to the digital series.  Please refresh your memory of the rules of digital series discussion. 

Discussion of that show should be there.  Discussion of this show should remain in the other threads.  

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Actor Jay Pickett, better known as Dr. Frank Scanlon on GH/Port Charles, but who was also on Days as Dr. Chip Lakin in the early '90s (and apparently dated Julie, as you will see a photo of in this link ), has died at age 60.

I remember him on PC I don't know which is more surprising the fact that he died or that he was 60(course I haven't seen him in years). 

May he RIP.

• Love 2

He was on GH originally as Alistair Crawford, Holly's cousin who used to annoy Robert lol. Why wasn't that mentioned in this? I think Shane is more useful but Days has no interest I guess.

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-charles-shaughnessy-joins-gh/

EXCLUSIVE: CHARLES SHAUGHNESSY JOINS GH!

Digest has learned exclusively that GH has signed Charles Shaughnessy, best known for his DAYS run as superspy Shane Donovan and his prime-time work on THE NANNY, to a contract role. He will debut in September.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

He was on GH originally as Alistair Crawford, Holly's cousin who used to annoy Robert lol. Why wasn't that mentioned in this? I think Shane is more useful but Days has no interest I guess.

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-charles-shaughnessy-joins-gh/

Just coming to post this. Rather shocked it's a contract role. Figured he would want to stick with prime time, but a check's a check! Charles Shaughnessy is a good actor, though, so he'll elevate the GH dreck - maybe.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just coming to post this. Rather shocked it's a contract role. Figured he would want to stick with prime time, but a check's a check! Charles Shaughnessy is a good actor, though, so he'll elevate the GH dreck - maybe.

Respectfully, NOTHING could elevate that utter dreck.  Others have tried and failed.

• LOL 5

It's just...so sad.

Filming himself munching a burger is a job...?

3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

It's better than him preying on fans to join a pyramid scheme...

True. But still...distasteful. And weird considering he was going on about a weight loss journey not long ago. Pick a lane, man!

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/12/2021 at 10:07 AM, 4evaQuez said:

I see people say this a lot about the Claire recast, but I don't think MM looks young at all. Even when she was in her 20s she looked old to me. I have no issue with nuClaire being her daughter. 

I do agree that she looks more like Shawn's younger sister than daughter, but since she and Ciara are somewhere around the same age, it doesn't bother me.

MM doesn't not look young at all folks being lying neither does Brandon & she looked wayyyy older than she was when she first came on I say it as someone who is a fan of MM. That said neither MM or BB don't look old enough to be NuClaire parents based on Shelle's age & ID looking exactly her age of 27. I like to say she is beautiful & there isn't nothing wrong with looking her age. It just doesn't fit with Claire's age, Shelle's age difference is way to close. They should have got some one in ORK age range given they were pushing it as it is

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It's just...so sad.

True. But still...distasteful. And weird considering he was going on about a weight loss journey not long ago. Pick a lane, man!

The thing about Freddie is that he will go on these austere diets and lose a ton of weight very fast.  Then months later he  gets off of his diet, eating and drinking alcohol gaining it all back and then some. That is not good for the body especially as you are getting older..

• Love 2
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It's just...so sad.

But it's an honest living. Other than the weight loss journey, what's so distasteful about it?

• Love 5
19 hours ago, boes said:

Respectfully, NOTHING could elevate that utter dreck.  Others have tried and failed.

I agree. This show will continue to be the Sonny, Jason, and Carly hour. It doesn't matter what fan favorite show up.

Good to see Charles getting a paycheck, though.

• Love 1

I think Freddie has always gone up and down in his weight. Even when he was hired and young it wasn’t because he had a six pack like Austin Peck or whomever. That was never the thing for the actor or the character. If it had been he would have been replaced by a hair model very early on. Even now on his YouTube channel he has gone up and down and is always talking about some diet here and there. I just don’t think he’s a gym rat. It ain’t his thing. And, in daytime that’s very rare.

Also, MM is 44, BB is 41, AS is 44, BD is 50 and CC is 47. I was just doing that for context. At least, they arent in their 30’s being saddled with adult children. I kind of like that they in their 40’s/50’s which makes it somewhat believable if you squint real hard. LOL!!!!!!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, MsTree said:

But it's an honest living. Other than the weight loss journey, what's so distasteful about it?

I find it really low-class when people's livelihoods consist of endorsing products instead of doing actual work. It's one thing if you're an actor between gigs. Heck Liza and Joan Rivers did QVC, etc. But this guy has been hawking health bracelets and face cream...and talking about fitness and wellness...and now he's filming himself chomping on a greasy burger, complete with sauce leaking out the other side...? "Eat here!" No thank you.

Not only is the visual kind of gross, but so is his willingness to do anything at all save something of substance.

I was bummed when Eileen did Housewives, which is a trashy program. But she didn't stick around and I'm glad for that. She is better than that.

Freddie should be better than this. At least Chandler got himself a real 9 to 5.

I don't care much for the "influencer" lifestyle, you might say.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I think Freddie has always gone up and down in his weight. Even when he was hired and young it wasn’t because he had a six pack like Austin Peck or whomever.

I'm pretty sure Freddie was hired because he had just done a stint as Teddy's love interest on 90210. He was meant as a diversity hire to fill a slot. It didn't matter how he looked because he was meant to smile big and give speeches about how wonderful it is to be gay with such a wonderful accepting family.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm pretty sure Freddie was hired because he had just done a stint as Teddy's love interest on 90210. He was meant as a diversity hire to fill a slot. It didn't matter how he looked because he was meant to give smile big and give speeches about how wonderful it is to be gay with such a wonderful accepting family.

I didn’t know he had roles before Days. I get your point though. He was filling a role that had different requirements. I guess that’s why Christopher Sean was hired. He was a brick house before Xander filled that role. I liked Christopher. He actually was a good foil in the Sonny & Will pairing. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I didn’t know he had roles before Days. I get your point though. He was filling a role that had different requirements. I guess that’s why Christopher Sean was hired. He was a brick house before Xander filled that role. I liked Christopher. He actually was a good foil in the Sonny & Will pairing. 

I liked him too and Paul should have a been a villain to the Wilson pairing..  He should never have been John's son..

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Stupid website reporting erroneously that PR was coming back to Days. He had to respond. That being said, I miss Bo and would take him back with or without Hope.

I too miss Bo but I don't want him kissing Ben's ass.  Ben is the last man he would want with his baby girl..

• Love 11
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I find it really low-class when people's livelihoods consist of endorsing products instead of doing actual work. It's one thing if you're an actor between gigs. Heck Liza and Joan Rivers did QVC, etc. But this guy has been hawking health bracelets and face cream...and talking about fitness and wellness...and now he's filming himself chomping on a greasy burger, complete with sauce leaking out the other side...? "Eat here!" No thank you.

Not only is the visual kind of gross, but so is his willingness to do anything at all save something of substance.

I was bummed when Eileen did Housewives, which is a trashy program. But she didn't stick around and I'm glad for that. She is better than that.

Freddie should be better than this. At least Chandler got himself a real 9 to 5.

Well, then...you're really gonna find Lisa Rinna disgusting! 😂

• LOL 4

See, that's fine. That's a legit side hustle. I don't begrudge anyone that.

When she starts insta posting about what fabric softener is the best or which yogurt she can't get enough of, then my eyes will roll.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

She has a clothing line on QVC.

I'm waiting for the day the stuff that comes out of her mouth or through her fingers ends with her loosing her spot on QVC. She's already offended viewers of those channels more than once when talking and posting about people with bodies larger than hers. 

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm waiting for the day the stuff that comes out of her mouth or through her fingers ends with her loosing her spot on QVC. She's already offended viewers of those channels more than once when talking and posting about people with bodies larger than hers. 

Lisa Rinna's antics on the Housewives made her look bad. Whereas Eileen was always elegant beautiful and dignified.  She was always getting love from the viewers on her first season.  What I loved about her is that she won't mess with you unless you come for her.  Some of the ladies did do that by going after her personal life. She was always real and Lisa was always instigating drama on the low. 

I have not watched the Housewives in a while so I have no idea if Lisa is still a hot mess on there.  I was not surprised that Eileen left after getting her bag with her dignity intact.  She was very strategic in doing the show.. She had a goal and she achieved it.. You can't hate on that even if you find reality shows to be distasteful.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm torn. I was against it until I realized that it's just modern day marketing.  There's a lot of value in having enough of a social media following to introduce people to new products. 

I'm trying to be less "get off my lawn" about things as long as people weren't trying to sell snake oil.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm torn. I was against it until I realized that it's just modern day marketing.  There's a lot of value in having enough of a social media following to introduce people to new products. 

I'm trying to be less "get off my lawn" about things as long as people weren't trying to sell snake oil.

Yeah, I don't like influencers and I think they're bad for girls and young women, but how many (not already super rich) people would say no to getting a good chunk of change for something as simple as posting a video or photo? And, I mean, how in-demand is Freddie Smith as an actor? He's got bills to pay, too.

I can't blame them for taking the cash, but like you said, as long as it's not snake oil or diet lollipops or whatever the hell else the Kardashians and GOOP shill for. I think this is definitely a "don't hate the player, hate the game" situation.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

[ED] was very strategic in doing the show.. She had a goal and she achieved it.. You can't hate on that even if you find reality shows to be distasteful.

What was her goal? Just to get a nice chunk of money for doing very little lol?

• Love 1