Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, brisbydog said:

I am alternating between fury at comparing Cin to Doug and Julie and utter confusion on wtf is going on with her face 

Screenshot_20210914-214939_Twitter.jpg

Not just no, HELL NO! Say what you will about Susan Seaforth Hayes' old-school acting and how Julie annoys (hi, @boes!), but she and Bill Hayes earned their popularity/acclaim.

Ciara/Ben leeching off of them AND Bo/Hope is just gross. They will never even be in the same UNIVERSE as those two pairings.

• Love 19
25 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Not just no, HELL NO! Say what you will about Susan Seaforth Hayes' old-school acting and how Julie annoys (hi, @boes!), but she and Bill Hayes earned their popularity/acclaim.

Ciara/Ben leeching off of them AND Bo/Hope is just gross. They will never even be in the same UNIVERSE as those two pairings.

I totally agree.  Julie annoys the hell out of me, SSH does not.  They are both legends and for good reason.  

Those other two.....

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47uskvduxk7f3r1mvs5k

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I guess we got a 'history" lesson in today's show....why was Ben feeling so over-come by what he heard?  Wish they had left Oak Tree Plantation to Bo/Hope's history.  This is an important topic but I dont think Ciara/Ben are the best characters to explore it.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I guess we got a 'history" lesson in today's show....why was Ben feeling so over-come by what he heard?  Wish they had left Oak Tree Plantation to Bo/Hope's history.  This is an important topic but I dont think Ciara/Ben are the best characters to explore it.

I hate the fact that Ron is tarnishing Bo and Hope's awesome history for Cin.  I hate Ron so much, he has to copy everybody and has no original idea in his empty head..

• Love 8

I don't mind the idea of recreating this picture in general but this is all rather forced because they seem to push this pairing and not the others on this show. I mean Elani could've had something similar or pander to one of the AA publications(I don't know if they still exist but maybe a digital version) to promote them as they also have a fanbase of their own and been a pairing for way longer. 

That being said mainstream press is good for the show and it appears to be positive even if I have no use for this pairing.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Has anyone found out where exactly the pic is even from or if there are more?

It appears as though it’s from this article about how Ben and Ciara are an “It” couple in some realm of our bizarre Universe.  There are several pics of Ben and Ciara interspersed throughput the article.  If you scroll down, you can find the pic of Ben and Ciara mimicking Doug and Julie, although without Doug and Julie’s pic in the frame.  
https://www.papermag.com/days-of-our-lives-cin-2654589242.html?rebelltitem=28#rebelltitem28

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

There's an interview with Suzanne Rogers in the latest SOD.  She says she choked on a pill in November, and couldn't swallow it down, so she called 911 they took her to a hospital, and she didn't get out till January.

rcdl79lt09r71.jpg?width=1136&format=pjpg

p6i66ant09r71.jpg?width=1170&format=pjpg

66l9xiqt09r71.jpg?width=1170&format=pjpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Poor woman! 😟

I hate that she found herself alone in the hospital through all that. Crazy to think no one knew how to remove the curlers. Why shave a head if you don't have to?

I really wish she wasn't living alone either. That's never good for seniors...

Will be extra special to see her back on the screen again. And yay - no more Summer! ☺

• Love 4

Did anyone post these yet? Skip to the end for the best comment from BA about Tripp being "the voice of the audience"...

And the way they all get quiet and look away when SH is asked about being a recast...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3

I'm surprised that didn't happen already because on OLTL I remember them doing such an episode (I think Ron was writing at the time) Nora/Lindsay switched places.

There was even an appearance by Michael E Knight(who was Catherine Hickland's husband at the time)

• Love 3

Over the weekend, the International Association of Theatrical Stage Employees voted to authorize a strike.  If a strike occurs, it will hit soaps first, although Days at least has a larger number of episodes available than the other soaps do.

• Useful 5

It’s nice to see that Suzanne Rogers is doing okay and back to work. That said, I’m totally confused by the incident. Did they shave her beard? If so, why? Did anyone in her family or friends know she was in the hospital? She said she had no idea she had been in the hospital for 2 weeks already. Did anyone else know? The wig part didn’t bother me because when she first aired this week I said, she’s wearing a wig and didn’t give it a second thought. So Days is 5 months ahead again. Suzanne was back in May and now it’s October. I had thought they got it back to a month but now they are months ahead again. It’s good for them but bad for us if storylines aren’t working. 

• Love 1

I don't think this affects Days tbh as their tape to air schedule is pandemic proof.

However I kind of hope it does go on for a long time because I enjoyed watching the vintage episodes of Y&R I never got to see in real time (and if the strike is long enough for Days to air repeats I'd like to see the same even if its unlikely)

• Love 3
On 10/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, ByaNose said:

It’s nice to see that Suzanne Rogers is doing okay and back to work. That said, I’m totally confused by the incident. Did they shave her beard?  

I don't remember Suzanne Rogers ever having a beard........  Mutton chops, maybe.  Mullet, definitely.  But a beard would clash with everything she wears.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, boes said:

I don't remember Suzanne Rogers ever having a beard........  Mutton chops, maybe.  Mullet, definitely.  But a beard would clash with everything she wears.

I literally have no idea why I wrote that or where it came from. So weird. I don’t even recall typing it. Maybe, I’m the one that’s possessed. 

• LOL 14

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/dayss-deidre-hall-on-possession-story/

Hall: "This time, I had a low level of concern because I adore Ron’s [Carlivati, head writer] writing and I think he’s wildly imaginative and daring in his writing, so my concern was, ‘Oh, we’ve sort of been here…’ But then you see that chilling moment where Doug is first possessed and I love the way it’s being done. So my concern was more about repeating a storyline, but the way he’s telling it is so rich, it’s so great. I’m having so much fun with it.”

Also Hall: "The fact that we get to have special effects and have more time to do the scenes we really want to put on the screen makes it a lot more exciting right now than it was 25 years ago.”

Me:

thor-ragnarok.gif

really-really-tho-really.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I disagree. She seems to not really be focused on making it intense and compelling as much as doing whatever. There's a "that's good enough" energy to her. Her line readings in general haven't been great these last few years....very predictable and dry. It feels like she shows up, says the lines and that's fine. Back in the day, you could see her living the moment more. Yes, Dee can cry on cue, and yes, in some instances I find her very effective....but she's largely operating on a very basic level, I suspect, because she knows she's queen bee and has little reason to prove anything.

By comparison, OTT Julie usually connects with passion to anything that's happening because Susan shows up to swing for the fences. I appreciate that. Doc feels robotic and weird and Julie feels cartoonish a bit, but I'll take the latter over the former. I see Susan trying to entertain me. I see Dee indifferent to the whole enterprise.

...Dee's readings as the devil have the same cadence as Marlena's usual patter. She isn't doing anything to differentiate the characters. Pitching the voice down really doesn't do the work for you, gal. But then, her Hattie was rarely different from Doc as well. Not everyone can pull off multiple personas.

Granted, the writing is really lame too, so I'm not saying she stinks for not spinning straw into gold...it's just that if you compare the two posession performances, her '90s delivery seems more and more Oscar-worthy.

The forced laughing is just...eh. I'm tired of it. If she was really having a ball I think I'd pick up on that infectious energy. I look for that sort of thing in this show.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 9

9 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

If she was really having a ball I think I'd pick up on that infectious energy. I look for that sort of thing in this show.

I'm personally picking up on it and she said herself she's having fun so I tend to believe her.

I definitely see differences in DH as MarDevil. And she has so much more energy now than she has the past couple years as Marlena.

It just goes to show how subjective it all is.

In general, I don't hate the show as much as most though lol.

• Love 6

I am feeling pretty negatively towards it lately, no denying that ☺

I wish Doug had stayed possessed for longer though. I really preferred Bill's take on it.

I think Dee is fine at this point saying whatever to prop the show...although again, she did speak up months ago saying she wasn't aure her fans would like the upcoming arc. Maybe she got some heat for that and is now pulling a 180 to compensate.

Also, she's an actor getting press. Of course she's going to speak positively! When was the last time Days got headlines?

But who knows, maybe she loves camp now...

• Love 4
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

She seems to not really be focused on making it intense and compelling as much as doing whatever. There's a "that's good enough" energy to her. Her line readings in general haven't been great these last few years....very predictable and dry. It feels like she shows up, says the lines and that's fine. Back in the day, you could see her living the moment more. Yes, Dee can cry on cue, and yes, in some instances I find her very effective....but she's largely operating on a very basic level, I suspect, because she knows she's queen bee and has little reason to prove anything.

By comparison, OTT Julie usually connects with passion to anything that's happening because Susan shows up to swing for the fences. I appreciate that. Doc feels robotic and weird and Julie feels cartoonish a bit, but I'll take the latter over the former. I see Susan trying to entertain me. I see Dee indifferent to the whole enterprise.

I tend to agree with your assessment, and wonder if Dee is just getting tired after 35-40 years. Whereas Julie has been on & off screen, and was pretty much always over the top.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I think Deidre is glad she's in a frontburner storyline at her age when so many are reduced to sounding boards or written off the show entirely. Even if its not a great story its something she's a focal point of.

That too. To me DH has been phoning it in and is in a big storyline right now. Is she acting the best right now, no IMO but is better than before. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

But who knows, maybe she loves camp now...

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........maybe............just maybe, mind you.....................

It's Dierdre who is possessed???

giphy.gif

I hope she's wearing her FitBit cause that shit could really burn some calories.......

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

Not Days related, per se, but all actors involved here were on the show: I just read on another board that (The Bold and the Beautiful related, as a heads up!) Krista Allen (ex-Billie Reed #2) has been cast as...

Dr. Taylor Hayes, a role played by Hunter Tylo (a.k.a. ex-Marina Toscano, Days) for decades, on The Bold and the Beautiful. (I guess Tylo didn't want to return.) And though she has long exited the show, another former Days actress who went to B&B, Susan Flannery, who played Laura Horton on Days, played the matriarch, Stephanie Forrester, and was Taylor's mother-in-law. (Thanks, SOD!) See? Lots of overlap!

As someone pointed out, it is the second time an actress who played Billie Reed took over from Tylo. (The first infamously being Lisa Rinna replacing Hunter Tylo on Melrose Place way back when after Tylo sued Aaron Spelling for allegedly firing her because she was pregnant.) I guess Krista Allen is a good decade younger than Tylo, so this could be weird. But since I don't watch B&B, anyway, meh! But good luck to Ms. Allen.

Just please, NEVER return as Billie, k? Thanks. Bye!

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Krista is beautiful and sexy but not warm at all. She's the Billie I knew best, but I didnt much like her.

Lisa may be the favorite, but I don't much care for her either...

I didn't care for Billie Reed, no matter which actress played her. But of the three, I think Julie Pinson gave the character some needed depth (even if the writing made her a sad sack/desperate at that point).

I know that's not a popular opinion.

To keep this related to the thread topic at hand, I wonder - with the spinoff - if the show could ever afford to bring Lisa Rinna back on a more regular basis? Somehow, I doubt it.

But, again, I'm okay with that. Especially since Bo and Hope are no longer around for Billie to mess with, anyway.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I didn't care for Billie Reed, no matter which actress played her. But of the three, I think Julie Pinson gave the character some needed depth (even if the writing made her a sad sack/desperate at that point).

I know that's not a popular opinion.

To keep this related to the thread topic at hand, I wonder - with the spinoff - if the show could ever afford to bring Lisa Rinna back on a more regular basis? Somehow, I doubt it.

But, again, I'm okay with that. Especially since Bo and Hope are no longer around for Billie to mess with, anyway.

Well they brought in Jackee Harry and Marla Gibbs I doubt either were cheap so if they wanted it yes I think they would. However I don't think LR wants to be tied down to a soap either.

I preferred LR's version for the writing Billie had early on which I didn't mind she was a far better character before they turned her into a cartoon later on. Julie Pinson however was the best actress of the three.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I agree with you but all of the Billies were desperate but Julie Pinson's Billie going after Steve knowing his history with Kayla just reinforced how clueless and desperate that she  always was. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2021 at 3:10 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I wish Doug had stayed possessed for longer though. I really preferred Bill's take on it.

I really preferred Bill's take on it too.  It felt scary and dangerous when Doug was possessed, whereas with Marlena, now, to me it feels like she's just portraying a slightly different version of Hattie. 

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

I really preferred Bill's take on it too.  It felt scary and dangerous when Doug was possessed, whereas with Marlena, now, to me it feels like she's just portraying a slightly different version of Hattie. 

Yep. This is why I can't take the character seriously anymore. She's  turned into a cartoon.

• Love 4
On 10/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Also Hall: "The fact that we get to have special effects and have more time to do the scenes we really want to put on the screen makes it a lot more exciting right now than it was 25 years ago.”

They have yet to do a single thing that I could consider to be more exciting than what they did 25 years ago.  Maybe Hall is having more fun than she did back then but the writing, the production values and the sets are all a pale imitation of what they did before. The acting, too.  No one is selling the Hell out of this story.

I feel bad that she ever had to say that Ron C’s writing is daring and imaginative.  Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 9