Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

What's Lisa up to? Other than Housewives?

Talk about hawking, this girl hawks everything and anything for a dime, and is not exactly selective in her choices...one of which (many years ago) was Depends underwear. Even if you gave her a jock strap, she'd find a way to sell it. 🤑

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Lisa's beauty brand is on fire right now. Her products have been getting great reviews. At first I didn't like the idea of her on housewives but she has proven to be successful on the show and sort of play the game. 

• Love 2
On 8/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, JBC344 said:

Lisa's beauty brand is on fire right now. Her products have been getting great reviews. At first I didn't like the idea of her on housewives but she has proven to be successful on the show and sort of play the game. 

I love Lisa.  Always have.  Her clothes on QVC are really great, not sure if she is still doing that though.  I have liked her not just on Days but when she had the talk show on SoapNet and her and Harry had a reality show years back that I really liked.   I like her on RHOBH,  but if you look at the forums people hate hate her.  Say what you want about her, but she is always working and hustling and I get the feeling nothing is beneath her.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Rafael said:

A petition will do squat and even if you do get rid of Ron the problems of a lack of budget and Ken's interference regardless of writer still remain. The show is the point of no return which is why characters I enjoyed that have left should never come back unless its Days swan song.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

Say what you want about her, but she is always working and hustling and I get the feeling nothing is beneath her.

She does hustle, but she's also willing to throw away a 25-yr friendship over something that was none of her business in the first place.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:34 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

A petition will do squat and even if you do get rid of Ron the problems of a lack of budget and Ken's interference regardless of writer still remain. The show is the point of no return which is why characters I enjoyed that have left should never come back unless its Days swan song.

Yeah, I think Ken's proven to be the major obstacle to this show ever improving. Through multiple changes of head writers, he's always stuck his oar in and seems to have very set ideas of what the audience (and his long-dead parents) want for the show. For evidence, look no further than the mistreatment of Will Horton, a popular, ground-breaking, legacy character. That is ALL Ken.

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Aymery said:

Yeah, I think Ken's proven to be the major obstacle to this show ever improving. Through multiple changes of head writers, he's always stuck his oar in and seems to have very set ideas of what the audience (and his long-dead parents) want for the show. For evidence, look no further than the mistreatment of Will Horton, a popular, ground-breaking, legacy character. That is ALL Ken.

Yup!  Sonny was supposed to cheat with Paul.  Everything was moving towards that and Ken told the writers he thought Will should be the cheater and not Sonny, throwing the writers off their plans for Wilson and Paul. Noticed how Will cheating never made sense, given his history with his unstable childhood due to his parents.  Paul was not supposed to be John's son.  

The show was awesome during his parents time on earth.  Ken has deviated from what they would have wanted. They never would have done the possession storyline.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

The show was awesome during his parents time on earth.  Ken has deviated from what they would have wanted. They never would have done the possession storyline.

I doubt Betty and Ted Corday would have even hired James E. Reilly (and he was the one that made this show into a joke from which it never recovered!).

Of course, the network has a say, and maybe we would have gotten JER, anyway. But I bet they would have fought harder for the legacy of their show.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Yup!  Sonny was supposed to cheat with Paul.  Everything was moving towards that and Ken told the writers he thought Will should be the cheater and not Sonny, throwing the writers off their plans for Wilson and Paul. Noticed how Will cheating never made sense, given his history with his unstable childhood due to his parents.  Paul was not supposed to be John's son.  

Interesting. Sources?

Paul was clearly shoehorned in as John's kid - he had sex while a priest? - but I never heard  that other options were considered.

Sonny cheating makes a lot more sense if only because he had more experience than Will and therefore sex may be less of a big deal to him....but then again Will cheating due to only having really had one lover in his life is also somewhat plausible...

...so Sonny was supposed to bang his ex, Paul?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Will cheating due to only having really had one lover in his life

Will had sex with two guys in Hollywood.

It also makes more sense that Will would have sex with Paul, because he didn't remember his past life, whereas Sonny would have no reason to have sex with Paul unless it was just because Will didn't remember him.

14 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Interesting. Sources?

Paul was clearly shoehorned in as John's kid - he had sex while a priest? - but I never heard  that other options were considered.

Sonny cheating makes a lot more sense if only because he had more experience than Will and therefore sex may be less of a big deal to him....but then again Will cheating due to only having really had one lover in his life is also somewhat plausible...

...so Sonny was supposed to bang his ex, Paul?

Guy Wilson who played Will spilled all of the tea at a fan event years ago. He said when they got the script with Will sleeping with Paul, he said they were all surprised since Sonny was going to cheat.  He went to the writers over and over asking them to give him a reason for Will cheating so that he can put it in his acting but to no avail.  He even went to Ken who told him that he thought it would be better for Will to cheat because Will was inexperienced.  Guy understood that perspective but the writers did not build it up enough without damaging Will.  He absolutely hated the cheating storyline and said Will would not have cheated and put his daughter's family in jeopardy.  Then to his horror the writing for Will just got worst and worst..

Once Dena came in she made it clear that she hated Will and wanted him gone.  Dena also hated Paul and hated him being John's son.  The producers thought it would look bad to have all of the Gays written out of Salem with Sonny leaving town shortly after Will's murder.  So Dena was forced to write for Paul and she did nothing with him, she wrote scenes to satisfy the actor's contract..

Edited by Pearson80
10 hours ago, RedElf said:

Will had sex with two guys in Hollywood.

It also makes more sense that Will would have sex with Paul, because he didn't remember his past life, whereas Sonny would have no reason to have sex with Paul unless it was just because Will didn't remember him.

I know Will had sex in Lalaland....but that was my point. As a closeted gay guy, he didn't date anyone but Sonny. So his first bedmate became his last - his husband. That's....probably going to apply pressure that would lead to cheating, ie, the flings in Hollywood and with Paul.

You're confusing the timelines there a bit - Will first slept with Paul back when he was married to Sonny and before Saint Ben strangled him to death. It was years later, after returning from the dead, that amnesiac Will was drawn to Paul again, rekindled that flame and showed no interest in Sonny.

So no, he doesn't get the excuse of amnesia for boinking Paul the first time. Nor can he claim it was for "a story". Oh Will. It was lust, pure and simple.

• Love 7

https://soaphub.com/young-restless/news-yr/veteran-soap-star-rod-arrants-dead-at-76/

Veteran Soap Star Rod Arrants Dead At 76

Rod Arrants, whose credits include The Young and the Restless, Search For Tomorrow, and Days of our Lives, has passed away. He was 76. No other details about Arrants’s passing were made available other than his date of death, February 21, 2021.
Rod Arrants – Dead at 76

On DAYS, Arrants played lawman Richard Cates, a bad guy who romanced Marlena Evans (Deidre Hall) after she thought Roman Brady (Wayne Northrop) had died but before John Black (Drake Hogestyn) came into her life. On Y&R, he was Dr. Steven Lassiter, a psychiatrist who treated and later married Ashley Abbott (Eileen Davidson). However, it was his role as Rusty “Travis” Sentell on axed soap opera Search for Tomorrow, on which Arrants appeared from 1978 to 1984, that shot him to soap opera stardom.

The actor’s popularity as Travis landed him a solo TV Guide magazine cover in 1979. Travis and Liza (the late Sherry Mathis) were a bona fide super couple. The two met and fell in love after Liza’s husband Steve (Michael Nouri) died. Travis and Liza battled many obstacles on the way to the altar. Search for Tomorrow took the characters on remote to Hong Kong where they played out an action/adventure storyline onboard a cruise ship, the Queen Elizabeth II.
From Henderson To Salem

Tragedy struck after Travis was killed in a boat explosion. Arrants went on to join the cast of DAYS as Richard Cates, Salem’s new Chief of Police. Richards appeared to be a good guy but he got mixed up in a drug operation and started killing people including Abe’s (James Reynolds) brother Theo (Rusty Cundieff). Later, Abe shot Richard, killing him.

Next, Arrants had a brief turn on Dallas in a pivotal storyline. He played Andre Schumann, the hitman who killed a witness that could have helped clear Jenna Wade (Priscilla Presley), who was on trial for killing her husband Naldo Marchetta (Daniel Pilon). Andre came clean in exchange for a big payout for his family from Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy).
Rod Arrants Played Ashley Abbott’s Husband On Y&R

In 1987, Rod Arrants returned to soaps to play psychiatrist Dr. Steven Lassiter on Y&R. He treated Ashley following her breakdown after she aborted Victor Newman’s (Eric Braeden) baby. After Steven and Ashley wed, his unbalanced ex-patient Leanna Randolph (Barbara Crampton) came to Genoa City to get rid of Ashley after stalking the two on their honeymoon. Leanna gave up her plan to do away with Ashley, but ironically, Steven was murdered in his office after one of his patients had a breakdown and fatally shot the good doctor.

“You can say what you will about daytime television,” Arrants said in his 1979 TV Guide cover story, “but it’s the only place on network television where you get a chance to act. Look at the nighttime shows: they’re all action and reaction. On daytime, people still have conversations.”

Arrants was married twice, first to Beverle Bava from 1965-1976. They had a son together. Arrants was also wed to actress Patricia Estrin, whom he met when they appeared as siblings Austin and Megan Cushing on Another World spinoff Lovers and Friends. They wed in 1979 and divorced in 1992.

After Y&R, Arrants continued to work in episodic TV. His credits include L.A. Law, Star Trek: Voyager, Baywatch, and the 2005 film adaption of the Broadway musical Rent. His last credit was the 2006 pilot The Darwin Awards. The soap hopper’s death was reported by the actors’ union magazine SAG AFTRA. Soap Hub sends deep condolences to Rod Arrants’s family and loved ones at this difficult time.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:20 PM, Pearson80 said:

Guy Wilson who played Will spilled all of the tea at a fan event years ago. He said when they got the script with Will sleeping with Paul, he said they were all surprised since Sonny was going to cheat.  He went to the writers over and over asking them to give him a reason for Will cheating so that he can put it in his acting but to no avail.  He even went to Ken who told him that he thought it would be better for Will to cheat because Will was inexperienced.  Guy understood that perspective but the writers did not build it up enough without damaging Will.  He absolutely hated the cheating storyline and said Will would not have cheated and put his daughter's family in jeopardy.  Then to his horror the writing for Will just got worst and worst..

Once Dena came in she made it clear that she hated Will and wanted him gone.  Dena also hated Paul and hated him being John's son.  The producers thought it would look bad to have all of the Gays written out of Salem with Sonny leaving town shortly after Will's murder.  So Dena was forced to write for Paul and she did nothing with him, she wrote scenes to satisfy the actor's contract..

Interesting to have this all confirmed. I mean, it was pretty clear from what was happening on screen that "the gays" were being pushed out, but having it verified completes the picture. Imagine showing up to work, knowing you're taking on a hugely popular character who is also representing an entire community that was never shown much before....just after the well-liked regular actor was abruptly canned right before the character's wedding no less...only to soon discover the producers and writer want to trash and sideline the character...and the audience refuses to get behind your portrayal!

Guy must have needed therapy to get through the gig. Couldn't have been worth it. Talk about stressful. 

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

She looks great. Her husband looks like an idiot with those glasses on lol.

I know why you are really shading him but it would be off-topic for me to get into it...lol

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

She looks exquisite. And, if you took those glasses off her husband, he looks a little Xander-ish. Xander-y?

Lmao

i can’t tell because I cannot get passed the glasses. 
Although, glasses or not, sooooo glad he doesn’t resemble the actor who plays Jake 

• LOL 4

Honestly...she typically looks great in everything....but that dress, at least in that photo, isn't very flattering. The puff sleeves enlarge her arms in what looks like lace webbing...which is also on the corset, giving it an early 90s Madonna French titillation vibe....I kind of like the bow and skirt, but it cuts her in a weird way. Proportions and silhouette seem not to be a consideration here.

I never get why gorgeous women seem to choose really bizarre wedding dresses when they would conceivably look stunning in less experimental fare. It's her day, she's free to dress her own way, I get that, but this doesn't strike me as the option a person with great taste would choose for her, as much as her having weird requests for the designer, unaware of how it would actually look in the end. Right now, it looks like a little girl's costume dress she pulled up high.

His glasses are worse though. He looks like a 70s mafia character, not someone being himself. His suit is okay though.

Best wishes to the married couple.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

His glasses are worse though. He looks like a 70s mafia character, not someone being himself. His suit is okay though.

Hahahaha ! My husband had those glasses in 10th grade..they were tinted..thought they were sunglasses  and that he looked soooo cool!! 😎

that was mid 80’s

• LOL 6

Camilla has been throwing a lot of shade when it comes to the show for years now.  I admire her courage but she needs to be careful though because Ken Corday is vindictive and we all remember what he did to Chandler.  

Camilla looks beautiful in her wedding gown and I think the glasses on her husband is not bad at all.  I even love his tan suit.  Men often wear a black tux or a White one on their wedding day, I like the fact that he chose to do his own thing..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4

As is so often the case… backstage drama is more interesting than on-screen drama. I agree that what Camila is saying about workplace dynamics is frequently true, but saying it in a public forum while working a public-facing job is a wave-making choice all on its own.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Panopticon said:

As is so often the case… backstage drama is more interesting than on-screen drama. I agree that what Camila is saying about workplace dynamics is frequently true, but saying it in a public forum while working a public-facing job is a wave-making choice all on its own.

And without naming names or specifics there's really no point to it other than to play victim.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

He might not be liked by some, but I don't see him as "problematic".

We don't know what goes on. Galen's wife said a few years ago that it was more of a soap opera behind the scenes than in front of the camera. Camilla might name names someday when she leaves the show.

• Love 5

Sorry, but I think Camila Banus' post is passive-aggressive bullshit. Do I think there is truth in what she wrote? Sure.

But not using specifics and being all cagey just makes her look like she is begging for attention, and that kind of 7th-grade behavior from a supposed grown-ass woman really turns me off. (And I realize specifics could get her in trouble, too. So I guess I'm saying keep the drama to yourself until you feel safe to share.)

• Love 13
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I hate when people bring up hot gossip and then won't name names. Put up or shut up!

And preferably shut up.  If whatever it is is egregious enough, call the cops or take them to court.  If it's not does anyone need to know your petty workplace woes?

• Love 3

Yeah.  Sometimes cops or court aren't appropriate.   That's a really high standard not many can take advantage of even when it is appropriate. 

But I don't like vague social media posts.  Got something to say...say it.

That said, it's not just Hollywood.   So much passive aggressiveness on social media. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, MsTree said:

Just curious...did she say anything more specific?

No that's all she said. When Galen leaves the show she will probably say more. She seems to be the outspoken type.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rcc said:

No that's all she said. When Galen leaves the show she will probably say more. She seems to be the outspoken type.

She is very annoying and has this entitlement attitude when it comes to her husband being on the show.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2