Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

It is sad. Well said.

(It's such a relief to read comments like these, because I don't feel like I'm alone here in my corner shaking my head at what once used to be a fun, even moving soap).

If Hall just spoke about it honestly and said they're doing a campy fun take on the posession story, that would be better. To pretend this is somehow comparable to the drama of the original or even exciting from an effects standpoint is just not true.

If anything this is just more Brain Chip Princess Gina garbage. With Halloween costumes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wow. Sometimes the real lives of soap actors are as interesting as the show! Apparently, Lauren Koslow reunited with her eldest son, whom she did not see since he was 3 days old. (And nice to see Kristian Alfonso, Greg Meng, and Alison Sweeney congratulate them in the replies!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVswvVHP0Yu/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d2524c93-c7ec-45b6-9766-2844869eedba

I wonder why/how they were separated?

40 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

"We were separated three days after his birth and lost to each other for nearly a lifetime." That makes it sound more like it wasn't her choice or something.

Not necessarily.  Even if you make that choice because you think it's best for the baby, or even for yourself, it doesn't mean that it's not going to feel like he's lost to you.  It's a very hard and emotional decision to make.

• Love 4

Women get judged for putting their kids up for adoption all the time. I'm guessing she just worded it that way to avoid having people come down on her for making that choice when she seems to be such a successful woman. 

I can already imagine people accusing her of having once put her acting career ahead of the welfare of her child or something. The perspective we have now on who someone is doesn't always reflect the realities of who they were when they had to make a tough decision decades earlier. 

Of course, it's possible that the father had something to do with this choice...or her parents. Maybe there was no choice for her at all and it was out of her hands. Who knows? I respect her right to privacy, and I'm glad she reunited with her son. Hopefully, they can have something of a relationship now. 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Women get judged for putting their kids up for adoption all the time. I'm guessing she just worded it that way to avoid having people come down on her for making that choice when she seems to be such a successful woman. 

I can already imagine people accusing her of having once put her acting career ahead of the welfare of her child or something. The perspective we have now on who someone is doesn't always reflect the realities of who they were when they had to make a tough decision decades earlier. 

Of course, it's possible that the father had something to do with this choice...or her parents. Maybe there was no choice for her at all and it was out of her hands. Who knows? I respect her right to privacy, and I'm glad she reunited with her son. Hopefully, they can have something of a relationship now. 

Well said.  Lauren Koslow has no need to explain the circumstances behind what happened to anyone other than her son.  She's smart enough to know she'd have to acknowledge it to the public so I take it she's worded things the way it's felt perhaps more than a description of how it happened.

Kate Mulgrew of Ryan's Hope, Mrs. Columbo, Star Trek Voyager, etc., fame, had a child and put her up for adoption during her first or second year on Ryan's Hope back in 1977 and describes what it was like for her, back in those dark days.....She describes it well........

It was unusual, in 1977, to be on national television while single and pregnant. My agent and many of my friends thought I was making a huge mistake. I offered to quit, but instead, the show's creator, Claire Labine, wrote my pregnancy into the show.

Three days after I gave birth to my baby and gave her up for adoption with Catholic Charities, I was back on the set — filming a scene in which my character brings her baby home from the hospital. They handed me this stunt infant and gave me this beautiful monologue.

Millions of people watched that day. I almost faltered. I remember thinking, "If you cry, you will not stop. So you must not."

The renunciation of a daughter is not a common thing. It shaped me, absolutely. Shortly after the adoption, I began searching for her in earnest. I even hired a private investigator.

Through the years, early in relationships, I would sometimes tell people about my daughter. Men, I felt, would find this too much, too hard, too unattractive. I would throw myself on that spear to gauge their capacity for understanding. The first man who wanted to explore this with me was Tim Hagan, who later became my husband. He leaned in across the fire and said, "My God, how that must have cost you. How did you get through it?"

Then, in 1998, by chance, I ran into the nun who supervised the adoption. For 20 years, Catholic Charities had refused to give me any information about my daughter. Sister Una finally relented and sent the adoption registry forms to both my daughter and myself.

I'm old enough to remember the shame society heaped on women back in the day for pregnancy outside of marriage, and the terrible way children born out of wedlock could be treated by other people.  Thank God those days seem to be passed.  When you "gave" a child up for adoption, it seemed so utterly final back then.  And the pressures, if you weren't married, were harsh.  I'd be surprised if whatever it was that happened wasn't hellish for her to have gone through.

Good for LK and her son and her family.  I sorta love the way she describes how it felt for them to find each other.  

Edited by boes
  • Love 17

She might have felt pressured into giving her baby up for adoption, especially if she was underage when she had him.  I think open adoptions were less common back then as well.  That's why she might have worded things the way she did. 

She may have given him up but would have done things differently--such as an option adoption--if it were now. 

• Love 2
On 11/2/2021 at 12:31 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Wow. Sometimes the real lives of soap actors are as interesting as the show! Apparently, Lauren Koslow reunited with her eldest son, whom she did not see since he was 3 days old. (And nice to see Kristian Alfonso, Greg Meng, and Alison Sweeney congratulate them in the replies!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVswvVHP0Yu/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d2524c93-c7ec-45b6-9766-2844869eedba

I agree. That’s an odd way of her saying “I gave him up for adoption”. She makes it sound like he was taken away against her will. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 3
On 11/2/2021 at 5:36 PM, boes said:

Well said.  Lauren Koslow has no need to explain the circumstances behind what happened to anyone other than her son.  She's smart enough to know she'd have to acknowledge it to the public so I take it she's worded things the way it's felt perhaps more than a description of how it happened.

Kate Mulgrew of Ryan's Hope, Mrs. Columbo, Star Trek Voyager, etc., fame, had a child and put her up for adoption during her first or second year on Ryan's Hope back in 1977 and describes what it was like for her, back in those dark days.....She describes it well........

It was unusual, in 1977, to be on national television while single and pregnant. My agent and many of my friends thought I was making a huge mistake. I offered to quit, but instead, the show's creator, Claire Labine, wrote my pregnancy into the show.

Three days after I gave birth to my baby and gave her up for adoption with Catholic Charities, I was back on the set — filming a scene in which my character brings her baby home from the hospital. They handed me this stunt infant and gave me this beautiful monologue.

Millions of people watched that day. I almost faltered. I remember thinking, "If you cry, you will not stop. So you must not."

The renunciation of a daughter is not a common thing. It shaped me, absolutely. Shortly after the adoption, I began searching for her in earnest. I even hired a private investigator.

Through the years, early in relationships, I would sometimes tell people about my daughter. Men, I felt, would find this too much, too hard, too unattractive. I would throw myself on that spear to gauge their capacity for understanding. The first man who wanted to explore this with me was Tim Hagan, who later became my husband. He leaned in across the fire and said, "My God, how that must have cost you. How did you get through it?"

Then, in 1998, by chance, I ran into the nun who supervised the adoption. For 20 years, Catholic Charities had refused to give me any information about my daughter. Sister Una finally relented and sent the adoption registry forms to both my daughter and myself.

I'm old enough to remember the shame society heaped on women back in the day for pregnancy outside of marriage, and the terrible way children born out of wedlock could be treated by other people.  Thank God those days seem to be passed.  When you "gave" a child up for adoption, it seemed so utterly final back then.  And the pressures, if you weren't married, were harsh.  I'd be surprised if whatever it was that happened wasn't hellish for her to have gone through.

Good for LK and her son and her family.  I sorta love the way she describes how it felt for them to find each other.  

Thank you for posting this, boes!  I love Kate Mulgrew (especially as Captain Janeway in ST Voyager and her guest roles on Murder, She Wrote) and had no idea she'd gone through such hell.  I had a daughter at a very young age and we were both abandoned by the father.  Luckily my parents helped support the both of us financially (not so much emotionally, but that's another story), and yes, people could be incredibly cruel and judgemental.  This was in the mid-1980s, so single and/or teenage pregnancies were more common than 1977 but it was still the dark ages.

Anyway, congrats to LK and her long lost son!  I'm off to read more of Kate Mulgrew's biography.

• Love 9

Brandon Barash just posted on his Instagram about recovering from covid. My cynical mind immediately went to his anti vax co star. I am glad he is ok but wish Days would mandate the vaccine for all actors... I worry for John A and Suzanne and the Hayes

• Love 19
20 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Brandon Barash just posted on his Instagram about recovering from covid. My cynical mind immediately went to his anti vax co star. I am glad he is ok but wish Days would mandate the vaccine for all actors... I worry for John A and Suzanne and the Hayes

Who is the co-star?

• Love 1
Just now, rcc said:

Who is the co-star?

Camilla/Gabi. Proudly anti vax and vocal about it

1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

Agreed. They haven't? That's crazy to me. Such a risk to their cast members.

Only GH. I can't imagine acting maskless and possibly kissing someone not knowing their status. 

• Love 6

Brandon needs to do something if he got it BC of CB. Brandon has a daughter and with a chronic ill mother who works at GH who has the mandate.

NBC can get this spread to other networks doing right by their employees. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Brandon needs to do something if he got it BC of CB. Brandon has a daughter and with a chronic I'll mother who works at GH who has the mandate.

NBC can get this spread to other networks doing right by their employees. 

Not much Brandon himself can do. And proving he got the virus from his co-star is nearly impossible to prove. I do wish NBC, like ABC, would put its foot down, but if the network still has not done so, it probably won't.

• Love 9

Wow, I just assumed they had a vaccine mandate. Now I'm even more uncomfortable about all the older actors being on set. And any of the smart ones that got vaccinated tbh lol. I would definitely refuse to work with unvaccinated actors, although that would probably get you fired sadly.

• Love 9

Camila and her fiance got COVID at the beginning of the year.  She could have got reinfected but she does have some natural immunity.   And is there any evidence she got it again?

Does anyone know their test regimen?.  I know they tested daily when they went back but it might have changed.

40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Camila and her fiance got COVID at the beginning of the year.  She could have got reinfected but she does have some natural immunity.   And is there any evidence she got it again?

Does anyone know their test regimen?.  I know they tested daily when they went back but it might have changed.

Not sure. Definitely it was daily before. 

No idea who gave it to BB but LK is anti vax too. He needs new costars

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Not sure. Definitely it was daily before. 

No idea who gave it to BB but LK is anti vax too. He needs new costars

There’s a difference between anti-vax in general, and being against the Covid vaccine. Most people who don’t take the Covid vaccine have all the other vaccines. By the way, I have taken it.

Edited by TenaciousWarrior
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

There’s a difference between anti-vax in general, and being against the Covid vaccine. Most people who don’t take the Covid vaccine have all the other vaccines. By the way, I have taken it.

True. We should have a term for anti covid only vax. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I get that CB is obnoxious but how do you know she gave it to him when unvaccinated and vaccinated can spread it equally...  

He could've gotten it anywhere..

Of course he could. That's why I said I cynically thought of her first though given her stance 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I get that CB is obnoxious but how do you know she gave it to him when unvaccinated and vaccinated can spread it equally...  

He could've gotten it anywhere..

Sorry, but This is not true. Unvaccinated ate spreading it to both groups much more frequently  & making vaccinated people sick as well as prolonging the pandemic. Physically, mentally & financially affecting everyone personally. 

• Love 12

Kind of on topic but two big names at GH are out due to the new mandate (Steve Burton and Ingo Rademacher). If Days brings this in would be interesting to see who goes. Pretty sure not SN or MBE after their infomercial lol. I imagine NBC will have to mandate it eventually it is becoming the norm.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This is another reason I want it, so I can see which actors are idiots lol. 

Well we know for sure CB and I have heard LK. I know PT is a big supporter of getting the jab cause he likes all vaccination posts on twitter. Would be nice if VK and RW were just so we could be rid of CIN forever but that is just me being selfish, I hope they are both smart too as I have nothing against the actors. 

Edited by brisbydog
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

The problem with this is there are vaccinated people who get it and spread COVID so its not really fair to blame one group of people when both are just as capable of spreading it.

Vaccinated people are far less likely to spread or contract the virus, that's why they are allowed to go into restaurants, cinemas etc because the risk is do much lower

• Love 8
On 11/7/2021 at 1:58 PM, brisbydog said:

Camilla/Gabi. Proudly anti vax and vocal about it

I did not know this.  What an idiot.  Does she not give a shit about her co-workers?

On 11/7/2021 at 6:20 PM, brisbydog said:

True. We should have a term for anti covid only vax. 

I have one. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Won't the new requirement about having 100 or more employees include Days? If so, CB might be gone soon lol.

Possible.  Though I think actors are independent contractors.  Corday Productions probably does not have more than 100 actual employees (ie folks who receive paychecks with taxes withheld and IRS reported).  Actually I would be surprised if anyone working at Corday was an actual employee.  They are probably all contractors and receive checks and 1099s instead of weekly payroll checks.

• Useful 1
On 11/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, Irlandesa said:

She might have felt pressured into giving her baby up for adoption, especially if she was underage when she had him.  I think open adoptions were less common back then as well.  That's why she might have worded things the way she did. 

She may have given him up but would have done things differently--such as an option adoption--if it were now. 

Judging by the apparent age of the son (he looks like he's at least in his late 40's/early 50's) and Lauren's 1953 birthdate I'm assuming Lauren was either a teenager or barely out of them when she had him. Things were a lot different back in the late 1960's/early 1970's when it came to girls having kids out of wedlock. It's entirely possible given the time she had him Lauren was "sent to visit relatives", i.e. she went to a maternity home with a strong emphasis on adopting out with no contact, and then was supposed to go home and act like nothing happened. That was what you were supposed to do back then if the father didn't want to marry you.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Artsda said:

I was surprised to see Casey Deidrick as the lead in the A Very Merry Bridesmaid Hallmark Christmas movie this week.

I enjoyed that particular Hallmark movie(better than the average Hallmark), and Casey's character was very charming.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2021 at 1:16 AM, Artsda said:

I was surprised to see Casey Deidrick as the lead in the A Very Merry Bridesmaid Hallmark Christmas movie this week.

I loved him as the original Chad!  I don't usually watch Hallmark Christmas movies, but maybe I'll look that one up just to see him. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I loved him as the original Chad!  I don't usually watch Hallmark Christmas movies, but maybe I'll look that one up just to see him. 

Yes, I liked that Chad much better than the current one.  Almost seem like different characters really. 

• Love 3
On 12/8/2021 at 11:46 PM, Peanut6711 said:

Yes, I liked that Chad much better than the current one.  Almost seem like different characters really. 

That's because they were. I think when it comes to the Chabby pairing BF is the better choice.

However as far as the Chad I prefer and one I felt fit with the Dimeras better I much prefer CD's

• Love 1