Type keyword(s) to search

Michelle and JimBob aka J'Chelle and Boob

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I always wondered what the big deal about grandpa in an office chair was - my grandfather, when he got to the point where it was hard for him to walk, picked an office chair (that looked a lot like the Duggar's, actually) because it had wheels and he could scoot around the kitchen. (My grandparents house wasn't very big and their kitchen was the social epicenter.) It was what he wanted. It was always under his own power (we never dragged him around). He really liked his chair because it was useful and made him still feel independent. (My grandfather would still walk to and from his bedroom and the bathroom, albeit with a can and very, very slowly. In his later years he had limited mobility but he was still very sharp and very present.)

Watching that clip, though ... it's not that they're dragging grandpa around in a chair. It's that grandpa looks almost comatose, or like they're really wheeling around his corpse. That is awful and nothing like how my grandfather used his office chair.

That's it. He isn't properly supported in that chair. It's all the difference in the world. 

If this means Michelle has closure that Josie is no longer a baby, then I can live with the ridiculous baby talk and giving away of 5 year old's old crib. It's not like she sleeps in it now, or like it's a special blankie or something she's really attached too.

Also - the old 15, 16, etc. Kids and Counting specials have been airing. Michelle's hair HERE, is 25 years out of date, it looks much, much better than the weird halo mullet and huge poof in the back. She must have been cutting her own hair then. 

About the wheelchair - I can't think of any reason JimBob's dad wouldn't have access to a wheelchair, unless he didn't want to be filmed in one, or they didn't bring one to Jim Bob's house. If he had been low income and need one, Medicaid/care his age and income would've qualified him for a basic wheelchair, if they didn't want to purchase one outright.

It doesn't appear he was aware enough to make a decision like not wanting to be filmed in a wheelchair. That was absolutely the moment I stopped enjoying the Duggars. Though I do watch some on youtube when you guys arouse my curiosity. I watch only enough to enjoy the snark here. 

• Love 2
(edited)

s every fundie own that black and white skirt. In the video clip when they get to Derick`s birthday, Marjorie is wearing it. Does everyone own a copy of the same skirt or are they sharing clothes with girlfriends now?

Yes.  They sell them at Sams Club and Groupon deals of the day.  

Oh yeah, the crazy baby/uptalk was out in full force in that clip! "I was THINKin'? JOS? Your baby bed? We probably oughta ask JILL and DErick? If they would like for US? To share your baby bed for THEIR baby? Wouldn't that be so SPEcial?" <gasp> <goggle> crazyeyes.jpg

LOL Best screen grab ever! 

MEchelle buys them used and saves the difference.

1211508185265.jpg

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 15

Just rewatched the clip and when Clown Car is talking to josie just looking at Josies face something is not right with her.

She's probably trying to process WTH is wrong with this woman? Why is she speaking like that? Why does she keep telling me she's my mother?

• Love 10
(edited)

Jim Bob better pray none of his kids will be wheeling his aging form around in an office chair.

He may be better off praying for kids who are actually willing to care for him in his old age. It might be wishful thinking, but it's my opinion that it's just a matter of time before this whole crazy train pulls into the station for the last time. Don't know when, and don't know what may happen, but the numbers are undeniably working against him.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

Oh yeah, the crazy baby/uptalk was out in full force in that clip! "I was THINKin'? JOS? Your baby bed? We probably oughta ask JILL and DErick? If they would like for US? To share your baby bed for THEIR baby? Wouldn't that be so SPEcial?" crazyeyes.jpg

My god, I still have a headache three hours later.

Just rewatched the clip and when Clown Car is talking to josie just looking at Josies face something is not right with her.

Josie seems perfectly competent to me, intellectually and physically, for her age. She may have challenges, in fact she probably does, but IMO there's nothing at all wrong with her language skills or her reasoning skills.

As far as the conversation (for lack of a better word) at the beginning of that clip, I thought she was admirably calm and patient for someone with a raving lunatic leaning in and screech-whispering in her face. :-)

• Love 4

Jim Bob better pray none of his kids will be wheeling his aging form around in an office chair.

One can only hope they do and as they turn circles, they ask "Does this turn you on?"

I still think that little baby needs some shampoo and a comb, and someone to help her with them.

I think MEchelle is still putting Johnsons BABY lotion in her hair.  

• Love 3

Crazy eyes!

Yeah, I thought worse than Josie gumming the dusty crib rails was the bare feet on the counter! People prepare food there, gross!!

And my 2nd thought was didnt they go to a baby store & buy a crib? Unless they were just getting bedding.

Staged. They're gonna have to pry that crib out of Mechelle's cold dead hands. 

• Love 2

I still think that little baby needs some shampoo and a comb, and someone to help her with them.

What little baby?

(yes, I'm being facetious - sort of)

• Love 2
(edited)

They had more than enough room for a wheelchair in that barn of a house.   A chair would have been fine if he wasn't more dead than alive.  He couldn't hold up his feet to get rolled without dragging  Then he gets a big deal meal, at the table, no less.  It was pitiful.  How overwhelming it was for him to have all those eyes upon him and to be so close to death.  He'd have been much better off in a clean bed, tended to physical needs, but allowed to sleep for the majority of time.  That table was finally used to eat at as a family.  It must be for last suppers only.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 6

In that clip of Jim Bob dragging his dad around in the office chair, why is he also pointing a high beam into his poor father's face?  I imagine it was for camera purposes, but aren't there lighting people to handle that?  Also, I can't imagine that would be pleasant for anyone.  It must have been excruciating for someone with a brain tumor.  

There are so many things wrong with rolling him around in that office chair.  Part of my job is wheelchair positioning.  There is a reason why people are trained to do it, because it's paramount to comfort and safety.  Not to mention dignity.  I had to stop watching when they flashed to grandpa at the table, because it was literally making me sick to my stomach.

• Love 10

I always wondered what the big deal about grandpa in an office chair was - my grandfather, when he got to the point where it was hard for him to walk, picked an office chair (that looked a lot like the Duggar's, actually) because it had wheels and he could scoot around the kitchen. (My grandparents house wasn't very big and their kitchen was the social epicenter.) It was what he wanted. It was always under his own power (we never dragged him around). He really liked his chair because it was useful and made him still feel independent. (My grandfather would still walk to and from his bedroom and the bathroom, albeit with a cane and very, very slowly. In his later years he had limited mobility but he was still very sharp and very mentally present.)

Watching that clip, though ... it's not that they're dragging grandpa around in a chair. It's that grandpa looks almost comatose, or like they're really wheeling around his corpse. That is awful and nothing like how my grandfather used his office chair.

THIS!!!! If Grandpa was moving himself around on his own in the office chair then I'd say fine. He chose to do so and he may want that over the psychological feeling of having to be in a wheelchair.  But that clip was just sick. It really did look like they were wheeling around a corpse. If I hadn't already known it was a real person I would have assumed it was a mannequin. And to trot him out for a baby reveal just adds to the insult. JB - you moron, he's your father, not a TV prop.

• Love 6

That episode always makes me wonder what kind of marriage JB's parents had. If my son had been doing that to my husband, I would have been up in arms about it. And yes, Mary Duggar lives with them, but if she didn't defend her own husband against such treatment, then she's as cruel as JB in my opinion. Unless she was secretly thinking the old man deserved it. (Which, based on comments JB has made since, I think he thought) which is still cruel, but perhaps, in context, more complex.

• Love 7

That episode always makes me wonder what kind of marriage JB's parents had. If my son had been doing that to my husband, I would have been up in arms about it. And yes, Mary Duggar lives with them, but if she didn't defend her own husband against such treatment, then she's as cruel as JB in my opinion. Unless she was secretly thinking the old man deserved it. (Which, based on comments JB has made since, I think he thought) which is still cruel, but perhaps, in context, more complex.

I was wondering that myself. I hadn't seen this clip until now but one thing that occurred to me is that she had it in her power to get him a wheelchair even if JB wouldn't. But she didn't. Even with a wheelchair it would have been pretty cruel to drag him out and prop him up like that. But putting him in an office chair and wheeling him around like a toy is just vile. I said before it's likely that the financial dependence on JB and wanting to be with the grandkids was a probably motivator for her jumping on the "skirts only" bandwagon and other Gothard-like traditions. But that is far different than allowing her husband to be treated that way.  I've always wanted to believe Mary Duggar was more "normal" and hoped she was a loving influence for the kids. But if she thought this was ok or worse that it was bad but her husband deserved it, then she's really just as screwed up as JB and Michele.

• Love 3

When Mary was feeding her husband (cake?), I saw what I perceived to be a look of hatred or anger flash across her face. It made me think of the comments that JB has made that his father wasn't a good man. The vibe that I got was that she thought he was getting what he deserved. It was just a moment, and the look could have been a lot of things: stress, anger with JB, or anger with her husband that he was dying.

I think that Mary is just very passive (perhaps that is where JD and Jana get that trait). Her scenes with Amy suggest that she is not as rigid as JB and J'chelle.

• Love 2

Mary has worn pants, normal dresses, & rather flattering clothes when with Deanna and Amy.  More importantly she smiles a lot and actually laughs, is cutting up and having a good time.

• Love 2

Sorry, I'm sure I have missed postings related to this, but does anyone know how many and which kids may have been subjected to the blanket training? Or maybe JB and Michelle have not addressed or admitted to it?

Sorry, I'm sure I have missed postings related to this, but does anyone know how many and which kids may have been subjected to the blanket training? Or maybe JB and Michelle have not addressed or admitted to it?

Oh, they admit it all right. Quite proud of this method. I saw a clip of them on one of the morning shows (like GMA), maybe when the girls were doing the book tour, not sure. But they were all on the show and Michelle had several small ones on a blanket in front of her. I'm pretty sure they addressed it that morning, although I don't recall M/B admitting they smack them to make them stay there.

• Love 1

I seem to recall Michelle saying they hit the blanket the kids are on... I don't think they will ever admit to hitting those kids... even though I think they do... 

• Love 2

seem to recall Michelle saying they hit the blanket the kids are on... I don't think they will ever admit to hitting those kids... even though I think they do...

So do I. I could have swore it was one of the early episodes or specials.

Considering that they used to promote that horrid book To Train Up A Child by the Pearls on their website, I have no doubt in my mind that they used blanket training with added physical violence to scare their kids into submission. Whether they still do it, I don't know, especially since the main child rearing has been done by the oldest girls for quite some time now. We did hear Joy use the phrase "instant obedience" in one episode recently so maybe they are still practising the Pearl "training" methods but to what extent is impossible to say.

That episode always makes me wonder what kind of marriage JB's parents had.

I've wondered too with JimBob always badmouthing his father, plus what Mary said about marriage at Jessa's wedding. That marriage was a sacrifice and she didn't sound too happy about it.

When I recall the episode of Grandpa being dragged around in that damned office chair it brings tears to my eyes. I was beyond appalled at his treatment - so pitiful, disrespectful, cruel, and unnecessary. All that man wanted was a quiet, peaceful death with dignity, but JB decides to bring him out like a float in some kind of sadistic parade to be gawked at. All of it was, ostensibly, to "celebrate" his birthday with that horrendous bananashit cake while all the guy probably wanted to do was sleep in a quiet place. 

The thing that haunts me the most - yes, haunts - was the image of him being wheeled off while one shoe dangled from his foot, and then fell off. I remember yelling at the TV "Pick up his shoe ! For the love of God, pick up his shoe !!!"  It was heartbreaking. 

Maybe I'm too close to the issue because I had an amazing relationship with my beloved, late father and he, too, needed much care in his final days, but damn ! I would have moved heaven and earth for that man !  My dad had a wheelchair courtesy of his great insurance benefits, but if that hadn't been the case I would have sold ANYTHING to get one. To top it off, Grandpa in that armless, too-high chair was hella dangerous - he could have fallen out at any point. 

So much for "Honor thy father", huh ?

• Love 11

Just out of curiosity I checked on Amazon... they have about 15 choices of wheelchairs for under $200. Most under $150. Certainly they could have come up with that to make his last days more comfortable.

As far as the blanket training, I think if they continue that tradition with Izzy and Jessa's baby it will be done in secret. They aren't stupid. They know that most people, even those who swat their kids on the butt, would be appalled by blanket training. If that was shown on TV it would most likely mark the end. If it happens, we won't see it.

• Love 5

I'm not convinced that blanket training was used much by the Duggars. I don't think it was used before the laundry incident, which means the oldest five or six weren't raised with it, and I don't think it's been used since they have been on film, so the last six weren't raised with it. So only that middle six or seven knew it, and it might be one of those things that you look at and say it really didn't make much difference. Especially now that they are in a much larger home where the children have room.

So Jessa might use it, but Jill wouldn't need to.

Blanket training (which was an Amish technique that Pearl picked up on) was originally designed to get children to settle during long church services.). Other Fundy writers talk about this in their memoirs, too. But Gothardites, for the most part, don't have this issue.

Anna's children don't act blanket trained. (They run off too much) so I'm not convinced Jill and Jessa are a lock to use it either.

GEML, the girls might use blanket training since they would have been old enough to take note of it when it was being implemented by Michelle. I do remember the family being on one of the morning shows within the last couple of years with a blanket on the floor and toddlers on it. I can't find it now, but I saw it, and they actually talked about it on the show. I remember squeaky voice explaining how she implemented the training. Michelle apparently used to contribute to a blog about blanket training and thought it was a great method. However, she seems to have shifted to the Quiet Time method, where she sits next to them in a chair for a specific time and reminds them to be still and quiet. Not sure when she moved to a chair instead of the blankey. Maybe when she had too many on the blanket at once to maintain control? Or maybe when she started creaking like an old hinge getting on and off the blanket?

By the way, GEML, I agree with many posters on here (and disagree with some), but when you (or Absolom or Wanderwoman) post, my brain does that "sit up and pay attention" thing. Like Yoda is speaking. You are all so articulate and concise. I may not agree 100%, but I always ponder what you say. Y'all (hee!) are the voice of reason.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not convinced that blanket training was used much by the Duggars. I don't think it was used before the laundry incident, which means the oldest five or six weren't raised with it, and I don't think it's been used since they have been on film, so the last six weren't raised with it. So only that middle six or seven knew it, and it might be one of those things that you look at and say it really didn't make much difference. Especially now that they are in a much larger home where the children have room.

Michelle used to post on Mothers of Many Young Siblings about the type of ruler she used, how she did it, etc. So, from the horses mouth (so to speak). It's like a nuclear bomb - ONCE is too many times.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 7
Just out of curiosity I checked on Amazon... they have about 15 choices of wheelchairs for under $200. Most under $150. Certainly they could have come up with that to make his last days more comfortable.

What is even worse is that Grandpa Duggar should have been eligible for hospice services and they would have provided a hospital bed and wheelchair for his use free of any charge to the family.  There was no reason, not even financial, for treating the poor man with no dignity.  

• Love 3

I think it is possible that the older girls might use it since they would have seen the middle children disciplined with it. But I think since their parents have stopped using it combined with them not having been trained with it will be pretty powerful.

On the other hand, I can see Joy using it. On the notion that the younger children were allowed to run wild and she won't have remembered anything else.

And as far as the term "glitch" goes, it's a short-lived fault in a system.  I think it's an appropriate way to describe a mild seizure in a child that may not continue as she grows older.  They could describe it as Josie's defect, abnormality, flaw, or imperfection, but I think glitch is a lot less scary a term to use around small children.  The older ones know the seriousness of it. 

I think Michelle is a detached, uninvolved, love withholding, and neglectful mother, but the "glitch" comment didn't bother me.  It sounds like something a doctor may say to a parent to "dumb down" a diagnosis.  Michelle doesn't give much to her children, but she seems genuinely fond of Josh and Josie. 

• Love 1

It seems as though JB gravitates towards the "good" girls and the manual labor boys whereas Michelle tends towards the spunky girls and the more thoughtful boys. (Josiah being upset about his mother's pregnancy, for instance.)

That's not the worst breakdown in the world.

• Love 2

There was no reason, not even financial, for treating the poor man with no dignity

I think the reason was that Jim Bob hated his father and was enjoying a sadistic form of revenge.

• Love 5

I think Hannie and Jill are Boob's favorites whereas Josh, Josie and Jessa are Michelle's. Michelle went sky-diving for Jessa even though she's terrified of heights but made poor Jason buy his birthday present from a crappy hospital gift shop. Jill also had a birthday in Little Rock and Michelle gave her a hastily thrown together gift bag while Boob bought her a nice cross necklace. I'm not sure where Jana fits into all of this.

• Love 1

Please take any further discussion about how Jill and Derick plan to raise their baby to the Jerick thread unless it is directly and intricately related to Michelle and Jim Bob's influence.  I've moved a couple of posts there.  Thanks.

• Love 1
(edited)

tumblr_no0pblEMCi1tkvud8o2_500.jpg

There you go, allonsyalice.

Wow.  Every time I see that kid I can't get over how large he is!

Edited by zenme
  • Love 1

tumblr_no0pblEMCi1tkvud8o2_500.jpg

There you go, allonsyalice.

Wow. Every time I see that kid I can't get over how large he is!

. Are we sure we haven't been punked? Perhaps RickJamesBitch was born three months ago? Was there any sightings at the hospital? Do you remember that ambulance sighting at their home? How about when there were balloons and a banner sighted at their home? Maybe Jill is recovered because the birth happened months ago? We need a Dateline investigation.
  • Love 10