Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Alpine Shepherd Boy

• Start Topic

I googled "Better Call Saul" Jello and a couple of links did come up -- one of which was a reddit thread with the title, "Jello is no longer the name of episode 5". 
http://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/2wiep5/jello_is_no_longer_the_name_of_episode_5/ 

Not that there were any useful speculations in it (other than "Jello" being a trademarked name), but at least I know I'm not the only one who noticed it. 

Vince Gilligan had said in a podcast that all the episode titles in season 1 would end in "o", and, while its been a long week, I don't THINK I was hallucinating earlier in the week when I saw it in multiple places, so this seems to be a last-minute change. 

I googled "Better Call Saul" Jello and a couple of links did come up -- one of which was a reddit thread with the title, "Jello is no longer the name of episode 5". 

http://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/2wiep5/jello_is_no_longer_the_name_of_episode_5/ 

Not that there were any useful speculations in it (other than "Jello" being a trademarked name), but at least I know I'm not the only one who noticed it. 

Vince Gilligan had said in a podcast that all the episode titles in season 1 would end in "o", and, while its been a long week, I don't THINK I was hallucinating earlier in the week when I saw it in multiple places, so this seems to be a last-minute change. 

Relax, you weren't hallucinating. In the episode 3 podcast they said all the titles would end with 'o', but in the episode 4 podcast they say ep 5 title will be Alpine Shepherd Boy and all will be revealed when we watch. Or maybe just when we listen to the next podcast.

• Love 1

Surely the "o" word most associated with an alpine shepherd boy is "Yodelayheehoo." I can see why they might be reluctant to make that the official episode title. :D

• Love 5

O for "old people?"  No idea.

Watching again, since I think I missed some stuff, but very nice to see Mike's story heat up.

I loved the hospital scenes, and OMG, the talking toilet may have been cheap laughs, but it got me.

• Love 3

I loved all those people he was going to see as new clients. All of them were hilarious. That was what I was hoping for more of and expecting more of from this show. Talking toilet was the funniest though

His brother is completely delusional. Not sure why he doesn't just have him declared as such and cash out of the practice for him. He will never be able to practice law again.

• Love 1

Good episode that got really good when the focus shifted to Mike.  Jonathan Banks doesn't say much there but still brings it in those final scenes.

How Saul puts up with Chuck's self-indulgent horseshit is beyond me.  Still, it's good to see more of Michael McKean and Bob Odenkirk has been excellent.

Saul as Matlock was funny.

• Love 6

O for "old people?"  No idea.

I guess it was in reference to the fact that when the old lady shows Jimmy the figurine and says something like "Look, it's the alpine shepherd boy," he responds, "Oh."

• Love 1

Could not stop laughing at all of Saul`s weirdo clients in the beginning. Please tell me we see the toilet guy again, or the guy trying to start his own country? Pleeeeease?

The jello marketing strategy was pretty smooth. That Jimmy....

• Love 2
(edited)

Wouldn't they've cleared "Jell-O" with Kraft ages ago? Did AMC suddenly balk about free advertising?

I never would've guessed the alpine shepherd boy was a Hummel figurine. Matlock, the theme from Harry Lime, a stair lift, and an old woman walking really slowly—just like Tim Conway's old man character on the Carol Burnett show. "Aren't you a spicy one? Moxie is in such short supply these days."

Naming the inventor Mr. Cox* was a bit much, though.

*Edited to add that I misheard the name of the inventor of Tony the Toilet Buddy as Roland J. Cox. The internets say he's "Roland Jaycocks." I still think it was a dumb joke. Potty humor.

PS. The internets also tell me the eldery woman was Mrs. Strauss.

Edited by editorgrrl

I realized tonight that Jimmy McGill just makes me plain old happy. I don't think there was much story in tonight's episode, just a lot of scenarios, and yet watching those lawyerly scenarios put a smile on my face.  Each client was great and I especially loved how happy Jimmy was to get paid his $140.  The billboard didn't quite work out the way he had hoped.

Everything about the elder-law story was gold from the "Need a will?  Call McGill" at the b ottom of the jello cup (already testing out tag lines) to the Matlock get up he was wearing.  (I know Tio doesn't end up in the nursing home until much later but was anyone else waiting to hear the bell?)    I even enjoyed Jimmy's attempt at insulting Mike's age before faltering. 

How Saul puts up with Chuck's self-indulgent horseshit is beyond me.

He puts up with it because Chuck put up with his.  And it has only been 18 months. 

Not sure why he doesn't just have him declared as such and cash out of the practice for him. He will never be able to practice law again.

He tried in the premiere but Chuck isn't completely delusional.  Other than his belief that he's allergic to electricity, he's pretty lucid.  Jimmy loves his brother and I don't think he wants to alienate him which declaring him incompetent might possibly do.  Chuck wants to believe he'll get better and Jimmy loves him enough to go along with that.  

• Love 10

He tried in the premiere but Chuck isn't completely delusional.  Other than his belief that he's allergic to electricity, he's pretty lucid.  Jimmy loves his brother and I don't think he wants to alienate him which declaring him incompetent might possibly do.  Chuck wants to believe he'll get better and Jimmy loves him enough to go along with that.  

Also, Jimmy seems to believe that Hamlin would be screwing Chuck by buying him out.

I would have expected it to be the other way around - that Hamlin would be financially motivated to avoid giving Chuck a huge payout. But I guess it's possible it could work that way, under some circumstances.

Loved all the stuff of Jimmy getting offers from weirdos.  I like that his ploy didn't just make it smooth sailing, but unleashed a bunch of crazies on him.  The "Sex Toilet" cracked me up, but I sadly think Jimmy is totally right that there probably would be a market for that with certain people.  Just not kids!  The idea of this leading to him being a lawyer for the elderly is certainly intriguing.  Loved him advertising with jello and watching Matlock, in order to make him come off like Andy Griffith, in order to charm the elders.  I just like that Jimmy never gives up, and goes all out, once his mind is set to it.

I'm still trying, but I still find the stuff involving Chuck to be dull.  I just hope whatever happens is going to become very important and lead to Jimmy's transformation to Saul.  For now, I just feel like it takes away from what I prefer, which is Jimmy wheeling and dealing, and barely keeping his head above water.

Finally!  Mike is allowed out of the toll booth.  He still didn't say much, but I'm glad they finally moving forward with him.  Need more Jonathan Banks!

A lot of familiar faces in this one.  Clea Duvall was the doctor, Kerry Condon was the woman that Mike was watching (sure we'll see more of her), and the two detectives at the end (I'm assuming from Philly), were played by Barry Shabaka Henley and Omid Abtahi. Always fun when that happens.

I continue to find Bob Odenkirk a blast in this.  I honestly think he's done a real good job at being the lead and anchoring the show. 

• Love 13
(edited)

I enjoyed the cavalry of bargain basement clients. Crazy Ricky and Tony the Toilet got genuine belly laughs are my house.  The old lady was so adorable. 

So, there is something to Kim and Jimmy.  The level of interaction shows real depth of relationship and I'm interested to figure out what their deal is about.

Chuck's mental state is clearly a tough one for Jimmy.  Interesting that Hamlin's first instinct was to get a DA to agree not to sign the commitment paperwork.  Who does that?  A self-serving douche.  Jimmy's very right about him.

From Breaking Bad to this show, I continue to find Mike very compelling.  I'm glad we are getting some backstory and am excited to see Jimmy and Mike interact some more.  Those two together are gold.

Maybe I've lived in Florida too long, but I love me some Matlock.  The suit and jello cups were a nice nod to being on the road to the Saul we know and love.  His kissing old people ass in the retirement home was pretty dang funny.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 4

Kerry Condon was the woman that Mike was watching (sure we'll see more of her)

I'm guessing that's Kaylee's mom, previously played by an extra with similar coloring and build on "Breaking Bad."
  • Love 5

Also, Jimmy seems to believe that Hamlin would be screwing Chuck by buying him out.

I would have expected it to be the other way around - that Hamlin would be financially motivated to avoid giving Chuck a huge payout. But I guess it's possible it could work that way, under some circumstances.

Hamlin is motivated to avoid giving Chuck a huge payout.  In the first episode, Jimmy wanted Hamlin to buy Chuck out.  Hamlin helped avoid that possibility by going to Chuck (off screen) and giving him a 'maintenance' check.  He also ratted on Jimmy trying to get a buyout and Chuck told Jimmy to back off because he would go back to work one day. 

The reason Hamlin wanted the D.A. to not press charges or commit Chuck is because that would make Jimmy his legal guardian and could force a buyout that Chuck isn't agreeing to right now. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I can't believe that Jimmy would ever becone Saul Goodman, t.v. lawyer pitchman, while Chuck is still alive, so I still think Chuck's a goner, even if I thought he'd be killed by the cops (the real life Albquerque Police Department's track record of handling mental illness calls made it completely credible) in this episode. It certainly now appears that Jimmy has a good chance of being Mike's lawyer (the lawyer assigned to him will probably suggest a plea-bargain, to Mike's disgust), and doing so will play a role in Jimmy's transformation.

The acting and writing are just terrific. If you weren't laughing out loud at Jimmy's calls on prospective clients, that's a shame. 

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 6

I'm guessing that's Kaylee's mom, previously played by an extra with similar coloring and build on "Breaking Bad."

If somebody was teaching a class, and wanted to show an example of how direction and acting, without dialogue, in a very brief scene, can convey an ocean of meaning, Mike Ehrmantraut's daughter(in law?) ,  stopping the car, and exchanging stares with Mike, before driving on, and then Mikes reaction, would be a great choice. 

I think Mike is feeling a tremendous weight of remorse, and it, along with Jimmy's dscussion with Chuck about how Chuck's illness is agravated by worrying about Jimmy, leads me to think once again that remorse is going to be consistent theme of this show.

• Love 5

There must be some massive "meta" point being made about Chuck's aversion to "power" sources.  I am not literate enough to get it.

Beyond Mike's past catching up with him, I think the biggest takeaway was the core deceit by Jimmy to his brother.  He never did come clean.  He took the bribe and everything that comes from that money is necessarily tainted.  Classically, such a lie always comes back to bite a protagonist.  Hellooooooo, Omaha!  

One thing thoroughly confused me: How did Chuck suddenly find the energy to make coffee and jauntily throw his foil cape off?  Was it Jimmy's convincing lie that he was actually on the straight and narrow?  

• Love 4

I didn't dislike the episode (there were a few things I liked and I'm interested to see where Mike's storyline goes), but this was the first episode that I felt didn't improve on what came before it. 

I hope it's a dip, more than a slide.

• Love 5

One thing thoroughly confused me: How did Chuck suddenly find the energy to make coffee and jauntily throw his foil cape off? Was it Jimmy's convincing lie that he was actually on the straight and narrow?

Between the doctor proving it at the hospital, and Chuck's sudden recovery, I think they point is bein made that it's all in Chuck's head and he's using it to manipulate Jimmy and keep him honest.

• Love 3

I don't think Chuck is being self-indulgent, and I don't think he's using his illness to manipulate Jimmy. It's mental illness. He doesn't have control over it, but certain circumstances can make it better or worse. I think he really, truly believes he is affected by electricity. As someone posted last week, the scene where he went to get the paper was a good depiction of an anxiety attack. No way was he just faking that. Same with his collapse after the police broke in. Nobody would choose to live this way, especially not someone with Chuck's brains and success. Who knows how it all started, but I do recall him doing something with a phone as far back as the flashback of Jimmy in jail back in Cicero.

But I think Jimmy made a good point when he said Chuck got worse when stressed about Jimmy. When Jimmy came up with a plausible plan for a repsectable law practice (elder law), Chuck felt less stressed and was able to throw off the cape and even get up to make coffee. It may seem manipulative, but people say that about  depression and anxiety sufferers, too.

Episode was funny and had some good moments - Bob Odenkirk continues to impress - but was a tad scattershot.

• Love 18

I realized tonight that Jimmy McGill just makes me plain old happy. I don't think there was much story in tonight's episode, just a lot of scenarios, and yet watching those lawyerly scenarios put a smile on my face.  Each client was great and I especially loved how happy Jimmy was to get paid his $140.  The billboard didn't quite work out the way he had hoped.

Everything about the elder-law story was gold from the "Need a will?  Call McGill" at the b ottom of the jello cup (already testing out tag lines) to the Matlock get up he was wearing.  (I know Tio doesn't end up in the nursing home until much later but was anyone else waiting to hear the bell?)    I even enjoyed Jimmy's attempt at insulting Mike's age before faltering. 

He puts up with it because Chuck put up with his.  And it has only been 18 months. 

Chuck wants to believe he will get better but also is in total denial about the true source of his problems and the fact it is a psychosis and not a true physical problem. 

The longer that goes on and he does not confront that, the less likely he is to "get better".  I see this every day as a physician.  Patients say they will "do anything" to get better but then are in denial about the true nature of their problem and what they actually need to do to get better.  This is actually an interesting and very relevant, modern, real life scenario.  Its a great way to introduce the concept of secondary gain for a patient, which is what must be determined in order for them to get better.  What is Chuck gaining from the delusion?  Not wanting to return to the law firm?  Not wanting to face something outside his house?  There has to be something or some reason why he has created this scenario where basically he has isolated himself from the rest of society.   

• Love 9
(edited)

What is Chuck gaining from the delusion?  Not wanting to return to the law firm?  Not wanting to face something outside his house?

Overinvestment in Jimmy's life, to the degree that he feels a pathological need to "help" (control) Jimmy's behavior.  What do we know about Jimmy and Chuck's parents and their relationship?  Also, any speculation about a triggering event 18 months before the present BCS timeline?

Edited by WalterWhiteWalker
  • Love 3

The title alone is cracking me up. I love Jimmy as a lawyer for seniors. (Hey, better than trying to help some maroon in the suburbs patent his sex toilet! That dude was ridiculous. The best part was when he seemed totally perplexed that Jimmy saw it that way. I bet he and his wife have an incredibly vanilla sex life.) Schmoozing in his Matlock suit, advertising on the bottom of Jell-O cups - hilarious! 

The best was he gave Mike his senior card! Hahahahaha

I feel really badly for Chuck. Did those cops really have to bust his damn door down like that? Over a freaking newspaper? It appears his condition really is psychosomatic. I'm curious if we'll learn what started it all. What's the bigger issue here? Clearly he lived most of his life as a functioning, somewhat successful man. Did the job of watching out for his wayward brother finally take his toll?

• Love 2
A lot of familiar faces in this one.  Clea Duvall was the doctor

I found it sublimely ironic that the girl I remember most for Girl Interrupted was pushing for Chuck to be commited. 

One thing thoroughly confused me: How did Chuck suddenly find the energy to make coffee and jauntily throw his foil cape off?  Was it Jimmy's convincing lie that he was actually on the straight and narrow?

I found that very interesting. It was that moment that kindled the spec I mentioned above, about maybe trying to corral Jimmy all these years being the cause of Chuck's condition?

• Love 1

...Did those cops really have to bust his damn door down like that? Over a freaking newspaper?...

There was a brief scene of the cops looking in the back door and seeing wires torn out of the wall and a lot of gas cans, causing them to make the leap to bomb-making terrorist. Still, in that case they should have called for backup, not broken down the door and attacked with tasers. But the story demanded it--both for humor and to explore Chuck's reaction to electricity.

...It appears his condition really is psychosomatic. I'm curious if we'll learn what started it all. What's the bigger issue here? Clearly he lived most of his life as a functioning, somewhat successful man. Did the job of watching out for his wayward brother finally take his toll?

That seems to be the case, but I would like there to also turn out to be some real thing that's making him sensitive to electricity--if that exists.
  • Love 4
(edited)

There must be some massive "meta" point being made about Chuck's aversion to "power" sources.  I am not literate enough to get it.

I don't know if it's a meta point, but I'm wondering if Hamlin was the marketing schmoozer behind HHM and Chuck was more of the legal technician. In the pilot, Jimmy said Hamlin spent his time on the golf courses while Chuck built the firm. In this episode, Chuck seemed to regard the idea of lawyers advertising with distaste.

Perhaps as the legal business became more rainmaker oriented, Chuck became less comfortable with the work, or felt less valuable.

I think Mike is feeling a tremendous weight of remorse, and it, along with Jimmy's discussion with Chuck about how Chuck's illness is agravated by worrying about Jimmy, leads me to think once again that remorse is going to be consistent theme of this show.

After last week's episode I was wondering if Jimmy's behavior contributed or acted as a trigger to Chuck's illness. This episode seemed to offer some confirmation.

Part of me is wondering if Jimmy & Hamlin are more alike, albeit at different tiers of the legal system, than Chuck is with either of them.

So, there is something to Kim and Jimmy.  The level of interaction shows real depth of relationship and I'm interested to figure out what their deal is about.

It does seem there is some kind of past. I'm not sure exactly about what's going on in the present, i.e. if the sex part is over, but I'm glad that Saul has a buddy in whom he can ocnfide and who understands what he's going through.

Wouldn't they've cleared "Jell-O" with Kraft ages ago? Did AMC suddenly balk about free advertising?

Having a bunch of seniors who can't even open a Jell-O cup may not be the kind of advertising that Kraft wants. Perhaps they Hamlindigo'd up at the last moment.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 8

I didn't think the nurse Mike was watching was his daughter. I thought it was a nurse who was taking care of an elder relative of Mike's who died. Mike feels she's responsible. There may have been a hearing that determined she was not responsible, but Mike still blames her and has periodically harassed her.

I liked this ep. All of Jimmy's prospective clients were hilarious. I cracked up at Saul's face when Ricky told him he wanted to secede. I was surprised, but shouldn't have been, when Jimmy said he'd take the case. Of course the guy would have printed his own money.

The toilet guy was funny, too, and I actually wonder if he'll come back in a future ep since Mike told Kim about the talking toilet. Probably not, but I kept thinking about the nondisclosure agreement.

Loved the scene with the old lady. First of course, the long shot of her coming down the stairs in the chair, then slowly walking to Jimmy with the figurine. I don't think the show was making fun of her. It was the situation, where Jimmy's patience is being tried, but he keeps his cool. I love that he'd really been paying attention to her requests about the Hummel figurines.

Loved the bit with Matlock and visiting the nursing home. The Jello cup reveal was great. I loved seeing him schmoozing with the people.

I enjoyed the transition from following Jimmy's story to following Mike's. Does Mike ever sleep?

I felt so bad for Chuck. The opening with the cops demanding he open the door and then breaking it down made me feel sad for him, and then seeing him in the hospital with Jimmy frantically trying to disconnect all the electrical devices was a great scene. I was actually thinking about the hospital bed before the doctor turned it on.

When Jimmy said he was actually going to commit Chuck, I was upset, so it was a relief to see him tell Kim that he just wanted to make Howard sweat.

• Love 3

There was a brief scene of the cops looking in the back door and seeing wires torn out of the wall and a lot of gas cans, causing them to make the leap to bomb-making terrorist.

Modest fix - they were camp-stove-fuel cans, which led them to suspect that he was running a meth lab (apparently there are simple but dangerous synthesis paths that involve camp stove fuel); and the ripped out wires made them think he was tweaking himself and did it in a psychotic episode.

• Love 10
(edited)

I never would've guessed the alpine shepherd boy was a Hummel figurine. Matlock, the theme from Harry Lime, a stair lift, and an old woman walking really slowly—just like Tim Conway's old man character on the Carol Burnett show. "Aren't you a spicy one? Moxie is in such short supply these days."

My mom has about 60 Hummels, including Alpine Shepherd Boy and Girl with Geese, LOL.  We've been trying to gently let her know that her collection probably isn't worth as much as she thinks.  Now that it's the butt of a joke on Saul, I think we can maybe get 25¢ apiece at a garage sale.

Edited by Wouldofshouldof
  • Love 6

The pacing was kind of uneven this episode, but the parade of clients at the beginning was hilarious.  Even if it was easy humor the sex toilet inventor had me rolling, and nice change up to conclude with an old lady that you figured had to be even more insane but turned out to be just a nice old lady with too many figurines and too much time on her hands.  The way Jimmy nearly fell over himself to accept the wadded up $140 from her tells me the rest of those seven prospective clients on the answering machine last week didn't turn out any better.  The Matlock and nursing home bit was inspired.

The Chuck story continues to be slower than all the other plates the show is spinning but it managed to be pretty compelling this week.  Whatever else you might want to say about Slipping Jimmy, he really is trying to be a good brother and you could palpably feel the burden of him of trying to do it alone and not really knowing what the right thing to do even is.  He's so desperate not to let Chuck down, and it was rough to see him realize his hiding the newspaper in the first place had led to everything that came afterward with the cops and Chuck's "attack."  The doctor quietly demonstrating that it was a psychosomatic thing clearly didn't come as any news to him but it didn't make it any easier for him to take.

I can't wait to see where the story with Mike goes.

• Love 5

I didn't think the nurse Mike was watching was his daughter.

Well, more likely it's his daughter-in-law than his daughter, since Kaylee shares his last name. (And I know Jonathan Banks has mentioned that this was his read on their brief interaction on "Breaking Bad.")

Modest fix - they were camp-stove-fuel cans, which led them to suspect that he was running a meth lab (apparently there are simple but dangerous synthesis paths that involve camp stove fuel); and the ripped out wires made them think he was tweaking himself and did it in a psychotic episode.

Which to me rang a little false, since early 2002 would've been a time when people were apt to see terrorists lurking in every dark corner. I feel like the knee-jerk reaction to such a weird scene would've been "Omigod, what if he's an al-Qaeda bomb-maker!"

• Love 2
Well, more likely it's his daughter-in-law than his daughter, since Kaylee shares his last name. (And I know Jonathan Banks has mentioned that this was his read on their brief interaction on "Breaking Bad.")

I definitely thought it was his daughter-in-law.

Are we allowed to discuss the previews for the following week? Because I do believe there was some stuff in them that indicated more about Mike's past.

• Love 3
(edited)

Which to me rang a little false, since early 2002 would've been a time when people were apt to see terrorists lurking in every dark corner. I feel like the knee-jerk reaction to such a weird scene would've been "Omigod, what if he's an al-Qaeda bomb-maker!"

There were a lot of ad hoc meth labs being busted in Albuquerque 10-15 years ago, and none of them were operated by tweakers who were as good at chemistry as Walter White. Some houses had to be demolished, they were so toxic. I know Gilligan has said he ended up choosing Albuquerque as the setting for BB, over CA, based upon tax credits available for shooting in New Mexico, but it really turned out to be a fortunate choice.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 7
(edited)

Okay, with the exception of the Chuck stuff (I'm sorry -- I am still not feeling the whole Chuck story line, although I know it has to be going somewhere, eventually), this was probably my favorite episode so far, or at least since the premiere episode.

First of all -- I know that there have got to be lots of senior living facilities around New Mexico, but... was that supposed to be the senior living facility that we all know and love from BB?   The famous Casa Tranquila?  It kind of looked the same inside, and the music seemed very similar, but I suppose that a lot of those facilities look and sound the same.  (And yes, it would have been fun to hear a faint ding ding ding in the background -- even if it didn't make sense with the BB timeline -- but I suspect that we will eventually hear Hector's bell in a future season, even if we don't see Hector.)

I was glad to see the parade of clients and potential clients.  That was highly entertaining.  Both the Sex Toilet and the Sex Toilet Guy were hilarious.  The guy who wanted to secede was amusing. 

I loved all of the sweet elderly folks.  Maybe it wasn't a politically correct way to portray them -- especially in the scene with the cute little lady slowly making her way down the stairs and over to Jimmy, after presumably taking 2 hours to look for her Alpine Shepherd Boy -- but it wasn't inaccurate.  My late grandmother was slow-moving and had collection after collection after collection of figurines and knick knacks.  She may have even had an Alpine Shepherd Boy collectible. 

Jimmy knew exactly what to say to the seniors, too -- even using appropriate references (for example, "Is that Veronica Lake" instead of "Is that Britney Spears")!  He seemed to have found his calling!

I was very happy to get a bit of a taste of Mike's story, and it looks like it's going to get even better next week.

I have to ask this too.   The diner in which Mike was eating breakfast... was that a diner that we saw at any point in BB?  See, this is how BCS evokes so many thoughts of BB, and it is hard to separate one show from the other in some of our minds!   There were certain locations that popped up on BB from time to time -- locations that non-BB viewers would not know -- and it's hard to not wonder if they are one and the same on BCS.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 7
(edited)

I was glad to see the parade of clients and potential clients.  That was highly entertaining.  Both the Sex Toilet and the Sex Toilet Guy were hilarious.  The guy who wanted to secede was amusing.  I loved all of the sweet elderly folk.  Maybe it wasn't a politically correct way to portray them -- especially in the scene with the cute little lady slowly making her way down the stairs and over to Jimmy, after presumably taking 2 hours to look for her Alpine Shepherd Boy -- but it wasn't inaccurate.  My late grandmother was slow-moving and had collection after collection after collection of figurines and knick knacks.  She may have even had an Alpine Shepherd Boy collectible.

Am I the only one who thought the old lady was going to drop the Alpine Shepherd Boy? After all she'd gone through to get it, with Jimmy waiting "patiently", I was thinking it would be the only thing of any real value and with Jimmy's luck, it would get broken. 

The Sex Toilet was awesome and now Jimmy has another sex voice to use with Kim -- first the robot sex voice and now the sex toilet voice.

For me, even though it was the shortest part of the episode, I found the silent introduction to Mike to be the most intense. Its due in large part to what BB fans know about who Mike "really" is and we're just waiting for the moment when the real Mike emerges. 

This episode did for me what so many of the BB episodes did so well, and is a tribute to the amazing creative minds behind both shows -- it took me on an emotional ride (by the end of BB, that ride was a freakin' roller coaster!) and left me satisfied but wanting more. From the humor of Jimmy's potential clients to the touching scenes with and about Chuck, to the tension created at the end with Mike, they pulled out a range of different emotions. For me, this show is really hitting its stride. 

It took me about 4-5 episodes to get invested in BB, so BCS is on par for me. But wow, once I was invested . . . I am one of the people who binge-watched BB after it concluded and am glad I did -- talk about emotional investment -- I was DRAINED after some episodes and was so relieved to be able to watch the next episode right away -- I would have gone bonkers waiting a week to see what happened next. 

Each week, I'm digging BCS more and more and looking forward to seeing what happens next. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 8

My mom has about 60 Hummels, including Alpine Shepherd Boy and Girl with Geese, LOL.  We've been trying to gently let her know that her collection probably isn't worth as much as she thinks.  Now that it's the butt of a joke on Saul, I think we can maybe get 25¢ apiece at a garage sale.

I'd check the values before making any hasty decisions, Wouldofshouldof.  You'd be surprised to see what some of them go for on EBay.  In fact, lots of the stuff old people have in their homes is highly desirable - just go to an estate sale early and see all the dealers lining up.  :-)

• Love 3

I'm just here for the sublime erotic tension of a deep discount, lawyer on lawyer mani-pedi job.

LOL that scene was the best.  As was the Talking Toilet; the accidental innuendos had me howling.  Although a talking toilet would probably scar your kid for live anyway.

More Mike!  His backstory is definitely interesting.  Maybe he's the one that should have gotten the spin-off...

• Love 2

Talking toilet was the funniest though

There actually is such a product, which is probably what gave the writers the idea. It was invented in Japan, so whatever it says may not be subject to the same alternate interpretations.

The doctor quietly demonstrating that it was a psychosomatic thing clearly didn't come as any news to him but it didn't make it any easier for him to take.

I'm not sure she actually did. Chuck said that it was only certain frequencies of electromagnetic energy that bothered him. Just because he's paranoid about anything electrical doesn't mean he doesn't really have a problem. And, mental state affects pain perception.