Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Ask Me My Name

Tara Ariano

Hannah goes out for drinks with a new coworker before attending an art show, and later finds herself one-on-one with Mimi-Rose. Meanwhile, Adam has an unsettling encounter with one of Mimi-Rose's friends; and Shoshanna gives Ray a hand with his campaign for the community board.

I really liked Hannah as a teacher.  Perhaps she has found her niche.

Fucking hate Jessa.  She sabatoged her good friend Hannah's relationship in order to secure Ace for herself.  Can she just die of an overdose already?

• Love 11

And of course Hanna hates the cutest dress she's ever worn on this show.

And shoes, I NEED those strappy blue pumps. I can not believe she alienated cute Fran that fast.

• Love 4
(edited)

Loved the male guest stars in this episode - Pete from The Office and Sylar from Heroes!

The way MR talked about "giving" Adam to Hannah like he's her property, ugh! I hate people who talk like that. And the way she "befriends" everyone she meets and writes them poems? Fake, fake, fake.

Not only were Hannah's dress and shoes cute, so was her hair and makeup; in fact I think this is the best she's ever looked on the show. But of course she had to mess up the fun date with the cute, seemingly normal guy by dragging him to MR's "art" show. I hope she hasn't completely alienated him, and since she's going to see him again at school, they can try again and maybe Hannah will finally learn what a healthy relationship is supposed to be like.

I was pleasantly surprised by the rapport Hannah had with her students (and the cute little boy she high-fived on the stairs). Maybe teaching is her calling after all. I hope Lena Dunham won't have Hannah mess up this job too. I'm ready to see Hannah grow.

ETA: Is chewing a toothbrush the new hipster thing now? Gross.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 7

I wrote a really long reply and it is GONE!!!! I hate that! Not going to do it again, so in short:

1. Love how they showed Adam really realize AGAIN how horrible, disloyal, and self-centered Jessa is when she revealed why she set Adam up with Mimi Rose
  2. What is the truth about ACE's joke/non-joke? Does he really want her back? He sure had her pegged when he described her as being happy inside of other people's misery, or something like that.
  3. I don't like Mimi Rose at all. In addition, it seems that she can take or leave Adam and be alright. I mean, when was the last time that any of YOU bartered with another woman about a man you got pregnant by, live with, and who you may now or may be close to saying "I love you." Like the Universe of Never!
  4. I really did like tonight. It was slow, true enough; but, it provided some good character development. I did love Hannah as a teacher. She also cleared up the degree thing for those who have been really concerned about that. Plus, she and Fern seemed to be really cool together. I hated that she let him leave. Just float away. Self-sabotage. I'm shocked Marnie didn't grab onto Fern the way they were looking at each other. Dude's name is Fern, right?
  5. Overall, good epi.
  6. Why is this show only 30 minutes? Was it always so short?

You know what? Why do I get the feeling that Marnie is going to get with the teacher dude?

• Love 2

Fran so did the right thing by getting the f**k out of there. Good for him. 

Lena Dunham is clearly having a fantasy of what teachers actually do. A world where students are enraptured by your (the teacher's) explanation of Oedipus Rex and nobody is on his/her phone, a world where all of their comments are mature and somewhat eloquent, and where they high five you in the hallway. I had that fantasy before I actually started teaching.

How late is she out? School begins awfully early. I gotta be in bed by 9:30 in order to wake up at 5 and be up at 5:25, although I'll admit that during my first year I went out nearly every night.  And does it ever snow or get cold in Girls' world? Surely by now it's October? November?  (The Good Wife has the same problem by never showing a real Chicago winter.)

• Love 10
(edited)

Wow, Jessa is a total bitch.  I mean seriously, she knowingly set up Adam and Mimi Rose just to get to new-Spock?!  What kind of friend does that?  For that matter what type of friend is Marnie that she goes to Hannah's ex's new girlfriend's art exhibition.  Why do I have this strange feeling that we are going to find out that Marnie and Mimi Rose have been hanging out and being friendly behind Hannah's back for awhile now.

I love that we are seeing that the Mimi Rose persona is almost a facade at this point.  I loved her if you still want to be w/ Adam then just say so...but i'm not just going to give him to you.  Although I do rank Mimi Rose above Jessa at this point and wouldn't mind if they swapped the two out on the show.

Edited by AmandaPanda
inflammatory language
  • Love 1

I've never seen hannah looking so pretty. I almost feel with the last few episodes were in a different show where hannah is more of a standard pretty protagonist that I can feel sorry for, especially with that end. Yes hannah going to the art show was idiotic but when I was young and in love I did stuff like that... Well not that bad but you know bringing up an ex... Because it was raw.

I like Mimi rose and kind of felt sorry for her... She knows how she's seen and I think she sincerely wants to be an artist, though the poem at the laundromat was ridiculous.

• Love 1

I should have known that the whole teaching thing was just a vehicle for Judd to get his kids on the show.  How long before his other daughter shows up?  (His oldest was the girl who was Hannah's favorite in class.)  How long before Leslie Mann shows up?  Ugh.

• Love 4

Who would have figured Shosh would be Hannah's one true friend...then again Shosh has that high school girl mentality where you don't dare be friendly to the ex nor support the ex's new girlfriend's endeavors.

• Love 7

Well to be honest and fair to Hannah, two of her closest friends were there supporting her ex's new girlfriend. The pieces of shit.

I could fanwank that Marnie is there because Desi is friends with Adam.
  • Love 4

That was indeed weird, watching Zachary Quinto with the toothbrush.

I figured he was on MDMA (phone wants to keep autocorrecting to M&Ms) with that constantly mouth chewing/grinding.

Can someone clarify? Is MR going to let Hannah have Adam back?

• Love 3
(edited)

Not only were Hannah's dress and shoes cute, so was her hair and makeup; in fact I think this is the best she's ever looked on the show. But of course she had to mess up the fun date with the cute, seemingly normal guy by dragging him to MR's "art" show. I hope she hasn't completely alienated him, and since she's going to see him again at school, they can try again and maybe Hannah will finally learn what a healthy relationship is supposed to be like.

I was pleasantly surprised by the classroom scene, although I think (as was said in the recap) that's heading toward dismissal with the MILF stuff among other things.  I hope they show Hannah realizing she likes it...then taking some classes and becoming skilled and qualified to teach rather than just magically waltzing into a classroom.

The early part of the episode as a whole gave me hope.  Hannah was quirky, interesting, and fun in the classroom, the teachers lounge, and during the first part of the date. I was willing to suspend disbelief about Hannah's sudden ability to get a job.   I had a vision of an interesting direction for the show, Hannah finally on a decent trajectory while her friends crash and burn or start on a good trajectory themselves.  But no.  Of course not.  Instead, let's go back along those overly worn plot lines again.  Hannah has a chance and f's it up.  Regular people are appalled by Hannah.  Jessa is insane, hurts people around her, and somehow people still associate with her.  Adam has a thing for women who are headcases.  Again and again and again.

If they bring Fran back with any supposedly remaining interest in Hannah, I'll scream.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 5
Is MR going to let Hannah have Adam back?

They certainly talked about Adam like he was a pet that they could exchange or a doll.  I found that to be so realistic, yet immature.  And yet, Jessa manipulated the entire relationship to begin with.  Here I was, thinking she was being friends with Adam, and she was using him, just like Hannah was using Fran (very cute and funny BTW).  These wimmen be crazy.

The only people who came off well in this episode, in my opinion, were Elijah (saving Hannah from the lizard shirt) and Shoshanna and Ray who weren't even in it. 

And I'm back to disliking Hannah again. 

• Love 3

Well to be honest and fair to Hannah, two of her closest friends were there supporting her ex's new girlfriend. The pieces of shit.

Word. It's not shitty becasue they were supporting the new girl, it was shitty because they just took Hannah's entire social circle into a place they knew she would not be welcome. Boy, Adam sure has some loyal friends...

• Love 8

Her dating life is a fantasy.

Hasn't she only dated Adam and a gay guy? I actually don't even know the real answer to that because I've avoided this show with fire for three years and have liked this season for no good reason I can name, but yeah I don't think bagging Adam, who is weirdly attractive in the looks department but a raging alienating jaghole in the personality department is all that difficult. Fran is certainly cute, but also not so studly he'd never look Hannah's way. 

I have to say I really don't think Hannah was in the wrong for going to the art show (like you are all supposed to be New Yorkers you should not be giving this much of shit about anything in public especially at a performance art installation), Adam created the issue, and sure Hannah might have started one if he hadn't, and perhaps she wanted a reaction, but I believed she was trying to be cool with everything, and that she's far more interested in measuring herself against Mimi Rose artistically than she is vis a vis Adam and his feelings. Basically I don't think she THOUGHT she was trying to use Fran to rile up Adam, ruin the event, but she still did exactly that but somehow her not intending makes her look less assy to me and want her to get a second chance with Fran.

Also in addition to Hannah's shoes I will need Jessa's necklace. I can't believe I want to wear anything these idiots chose to put on.

• Love 3
(edited)

I should have known that the whole teaching thing was just a vehicle for Judd to get his kids on the show.  How long before his other daughter shows up?  (His oldest was the girl who was Hannah's favorite in class.)  How long before Leslie Mann shows up?  Ugh.

Double ugh!  I thought the exact same thing!  Hopefully acting lessons are part of her future.

I can't figure out Mimi-Rose's character, but I'm leaning towards shallow ‘artist’ who's playing everyone around her as fodder for yet another art project.  She’s extremely patronizing to almost everyone (even Adam), but in the guise of being quirky and real and honest, and an artsy old-soul.  Her ex, Ace, said to Adam that it’s all an act, and in a way I believe him, but did he say that just because he wants her back?  She seemed like a regular, normal person when she and Adam had their serious conversation at the end of last week’s episode.  But her evening with Hannah showed that she was right back to the patronizing artiste persona.  At least Jessa, toxic though she is, is up front and honest about her personality.

And re: her 'art', I've never gone to a performance art piece, but truthfully I'm not sure I'd be able to keep from laughing!  I know art is very subjective, but I feel that any old person off the street could rent some gallery space and do a similar project.

Edited by Kat From Jersey
  • Love 3

I feel like the writers are assassinating Jessa's character to make room for Mimi-Rose. Sure, Jessa is toxic, but she's also charismatic, supportive and complimentary when she wants to be, and vulnerable. We've been getting nothing but toxic Jessa since Mimi-Rose came on the scene. I believe her character wouldn't see anything wrong with setting up Mimi-Rose and Adam since Hannah's out of town. That's Jessa logic. But the writers chose to give her Machiavellian reasons, which just feels wrong. Jessa is a present-tense thinker, and that's her charm.

As to Hannah's attractiveness, Lena Dunham is intentionally subversive on this point. Average (or ugly) men with their own TV shows have been paired with hot wives and girlfriends for decades, and she wants to cast hot guys to play opposite her. Why shouldn't she? Lena is pretty, just not the supermodel pretty we're used to seeing on TV. I'm hopeful we'll see more of her dressed as a normal New Yorker (like she was in this episode). Her grooming and choice of clothes are the biggest issue with her looks.

• Love 10

Hasn't she only dated Adam and a gay guy? 

There was the African-American guy at the beginning of season two, then the yuppie guy who found her messing around in his trash can and inexplicably decided to invite her in to his brownstone for a whirlwind day or two of schtupping.

• Love 3

There was the African-American guy at the beginning of season two,

Right Republican Donald Glover, and Laird, but again aside from Patrick Wilson (IDK was he the doctor?) I don't think a single dude she's hooked up with is in any way out of her league, and Dr. Wilson was supposed to be a kind of fantastical in universe I think. I didn't put myself through the pain of actually watching that though so whatever.

• Love 1

She hasn't even been with that many guys throughout the show: Adam, the pharmacist on her visit to Michigan, the Donald Glover character, neighbor Laird, Dr Joshua, and we know she dated Elijah before he came out. Of those guys, I'd only consider Dr Joshua completely out of her league, but that dalliance seemed out of character for both of them.

ETA: blixie beat me to it. :)

If you have to start a sentence with "Not trying to be mean..." odds are, it's mean. We will not tolerate "sizest" posting. I've deleted the offending posts. Let this be your only warning.

• Love 6
(edited)

Shosh's interviews have been giving me life. Can't believe I used that expression. I want to show them to my undergrads so badly, but they are riddled with filthy foul language- which I love by the way. :-) oops wrong place since Shosh was not in this epi. I definitely think she would not attend the event for MR because she has loyalty to Hannah.

Edited by announcergirl
  • Love 3

She hasn't even been with that many guys throughout the show: Adam, the pharmacist on her visit to Michigan, the Donald Glover character, neighbor Laird, Dr Joshua, and we know she dated Elijah before he came out. Of those guys, I'd only consider Dr Joshua completely out of her league, but that dalliance seemed out of character for both of them.

ETA: blixie beat me to it. :)

I thought the "dalliance" between her + Dr Joshua seemed like a "sex trip" of some sort for them to see what it would be like to hook up with someone that they usually don't go for....

I loved the episode with Dr. Joshua. Maybe I am a hopeless romantic but it seemed genuine to me, the sex was ancillary. It seemed those days together were just what two needy people needed at the time. He was going through a divorce and Zi think one of the issues was they disconnected because of his work. So he was looking for connection. And she was intriguing to him. They clicked. Didn't he ask her to stay a little longer?

My favorite part of the whole episode was Fran correctly sizing up the situation and politely excusing himself. I have been dying for a scene where these chuckleheads interact with someone there own age who has a normal emotional life to highlight the difference. Loved it and I hope we see more of Fran calling Hannah and her crew out on how manipulative and cruel they all are.

As for Jessa's plan. I think she would totally pull that. I poised long ago on TWP when Jessa was married to the yuppie for 2 episodes that IMOP IRL Jessa would probably marry well because what the fuck else would she do with her life? She has no education, talent, skills, even intrest really. Her biggest assets are being pretty, superficially charming, decently connected, and completely self serving. She's exactly the kind of girl who would find an "artist" with some family money or something and get pregnant.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this ep. Before I watched I was thinking I would give up the show, but now I'll stick with it. (How many more eps this season?)

I find Mimi Rose to be very interesting. I don't know if she's mostly facade, as Ace said, or if he was full of shit, but I'm liking her character. When she told Hannah she wasn't just going to give her Adam, I think she was being sarcastic, if that's the right word. She knows that you can't give a person to someone else.

I also liked Fran and hope he's not out of the picture. Very charming and funny. He and Hannah were getting on so well. I really like how he handled himself at the art show.

I jumped when the cab hit the old lady.

(edited)

I am just finally getting around to watching the episode myself right now that scene where Hannah tells Elijah to leave the room because she needs to masturbate before the date is hilarious....

ELIJAH: "But, YOU do it SO LOUD!"

LOL

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 1

I am just finally getting around to watching the episode myself right now that scene where Hannah tells Elijah to leave the room because she needs to masturbate before the date is hilarious....

ELIJAH: "But, YOU do it SO LOUD!"

Yes, and worse was when Elijah announces he's going to go do it, too, then and proceeds to jerk the curtains closed.! LOL!!

As to Hannah's attractiveness, Lena Dunham is intentionally subversive on this point. Average (or ugly) men with their own TV shows have been paired with hot wives and girlfriends for decades, and she wants to cast hot guys to play opposite her. Why shouldn't she?

Yes I gladly suspend any disbelief because of this.

• Love 2

So are we to believe that MR supports herself and affords that nice apartment with performance art?

Haven't they said/shown Mimi Rose has some kind of successful motivational speaking bs? She mentioned a book deal. I think that is the reason I am mostly cool with Mimi Rose whatever else you wanna say, she's clearly hustling while the iron is hot and trying to DO things, whether or not they are artistically valuable in the big scheme of things she's more productive than 97% of the cast. It's pretty much her and Ray.

• Love 2

That was absolutely the best Hannah has looked this season. While I scream every time I see her in sleeveless things (mostly because I have my own sleeveless phobia) she looked great in that dress and they were killin it on their date. Why oh why do you have to screw that up, Hannah?! 

I get that Hannah doesn't want to be "normal" or ordinary. She believes she's special and unique, etc. but you hit your 30's and everything you screwed up in your 20's you start screaming "why can't I be normal"? At least Hannah just doesn't know, she isn't faking it like Jessa or Mimi-Rose. They both act like everyone else is a marionette and they are pulling the strings. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That was absolutely the best Hannah has looked this season. While I scream every time I see her in sleeveless things (mostly because I have my own sleeveless phobia) she looked great in that dress and they were killin it on their date. Why oh why do you have to screw that up, Hannah?!

I get that Hannah doesn't want to be "normal" or ordinary. She believes she's special and unique, etc. but you hit your 30's and everything you screwed up in your 20's you start screaming "why can't I be normal"? At least Hannah just doesn't know, she isn't faking it like Jessa or Mimi-Rose. They both act like everyone else is a marionette and they are pulling the strings.

I also thought the dress she wore teaching was pretty good. Still had the "poor little rich girl using her trust fund to shop at the thrift stores. While wearing a blindfold." Look Hannah loves so much, but looked nice on her and was circling being appropriate for the occasion (God I love the costume design on this show! It's so much more meaningful and purposeful than the writing). I could see Hannah doing well as a teacher. In a way the skill set, lifestyle, and wardrobe really suites her. Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 2

It was excruciating to watch Hannah go on a date with a seemingly nice, fun guy with real potential, looking cuter than she ever has, being genuinely charming and interesting for almost the entire evening, only to watch her set the whole thing spectacularly aflame just to create a bonfire big enough for Adam to notice.  Especially excruciating because in my early 20's (maybe not as old as 25, but certainly as late as 23) I would have done the same stupid thing.  I know I threw away a good guy or two just because I was trying to work my way through heartbreak caused by a boyfriend that I was still crazy for, and wanted to be with no matter what.  And I knew what I was doing was wrong and dumb, but I still knew I was going to do it anyway, because I was being driven by something much more powerful than my brain.  This season is the first one that has felt real at all to me, and because of that, it's by far the best.

I missed Ray. 

• Love 10