Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Alive In Tucson / S01.E02: The Elephant In The Room

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20150202fox22/

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH chronicles the life and adventures of an average guy - and humanity's last hope - who discovers what life is like when no one is telling you what you can and cannot do. The year is 2020, and after a deadly virus has swept the planet, only one man is left on earth: Phil Miller (Forte). He used to be just an average guy who loved his family and hated his job. Now, in his RV, Phil searches the country for other survivors. He has traveled to every city, every town and every outpost in the United States, Mexico and Canada, and has found no one. As he returns to his hometown of Tucson, Phil comes to the realization that he is almost certainly the last living being on the face of the earth in the special one-hour "Alive in Tucson/The Elephant in the Room"

Series Premiere episode of THE LAST MAN ON EARTH airing Sunday, March 1 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (LME-101/02) (TV-14 D, L, V)

This show is not an easy sell at all.  But Will Forte went all out for the pilot which is even more challenging and I commend him for it.  I don't think the show will last long but I give credit to Fox for giving something as surreal as this a shot.  (Going to commercial every 5 minutes though, not so much.) 

• Love 5

I was married for 8 years in the 80s and 90s to someone not quite as motivated as Phil. I've turned down all date offers since then. I have 3 adult daughters who have not married and do not have children. I will not be watching any more of this show.

This was really funny! :) That woman is really annoying. Oh great they are getting married! YAY! One question, who is going to marry them?! There is nobody there! ROFL!

• Love 2

I loved it!

Don't see how they can keep up the premise tho' with only 2 people - maybe others will wander in.

Hope it keeps up even tho' right now the two characters are a bit stereotyped: guy is a slob, girl is a controlling.

Reminds me of the westerns of my youth.  The guys are drinking and shooting up the town and then the 'church folks' get a school teacher and everyone has to "straighten up and fly right".

• Love 2

Oh yeah; there definitely needed to be another person.

Definitely.  Forte is talented but this show would fizzle out extremely quickly if it was just him (or any other solo actor/actress).  Schaal's addition definitely raised the show although props for creating a character that is so annoying I could understand Forte's character not wanting to be around her.

Got better with the introduction of the last woman but it was a so-so start.  People being disgusting with food always grosses me out though.

Did  they have to make the Last Woman on Earth super annoying? Otherwise I would have liked this more.

I liked Carol. But then again, I love Kristen Schaal. The character was a little Diane Chambers-esq (another character I'll admit I've always enjoyed), but she was also a good counterpoint to Phil. I also like rules and while at first thought I would have used the world as my parking space like Phil, I understood Carol's need for things to have meaning.

I really liked the dynamic between Phil and Carol. I'll keep watching.

• Love 9

Also, I find Kristen Schaal annoying in everything except "Bob's Burgers"... LOVE her in that.

She's also good as Mabel Pine in "Gravity Falls." But I agree, in real life, she's annoying. Plus, half the crap she was quoting as good grammar wasn't.
(edited)

One thing I really didn't like: Carol cleaning up after Phil. DUDE. You are the last woman on earth. You are not here to clean up people's messes! (Especially Phil, who seems to be fine with rolling in filth.) Have some self-respect, and some regular respect for personal space.

And I was surprised that Phil caved so easily about marriage. I mean, I figured she'd get her way, but episode 2?

Anyway, I'll watch one more episode to see where else they go with this.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
(edited)

guy is a slob, girl is a controlling.

I'm not saying that's an inaccurate description of what we saw tonight, but I don't think it was the point. I saw it as them going for Phil's reaction to the lack of other people was basically: there are no rules anymore, and how that reaction shaped the way he tried to continue function being alone that whole time and trying to survive. Meanwhile, Carol's response was to cling to the rules as a means of trying to continue to feel in some way normal in what was a totally not normal situation. The grammar bit and insistence of tomahto were obnoxious and kind of a cheap way to contrast her to him and have them clash. But I don't think the point was as simple as man-slob controlling-woman. She was clinging to structure to keep her humanity and her sanity (the whole "we're not animals" thing) and based on Phil's state five minutes before they found each other, her approach was probably healthier than his. I don't think she's being controlling just because she's a controlling person. I think she has a desire to maintain some semblance of civilization, even when it no longer makes much sense to do so, because it makes her feel less hopeless. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 18

This is a show I feel impressed by--impressed by the detail, impressed by the idea, impressed by the execution--and yet not really invested in. 

I'm going to give it another few episodes (maybe even the whole season) to see if it actually manages to grab me but so far it leaves me a bit cold.

I do like coming here, however, to get some perspective on the Schaal's* character.  At first I was also upset that it was the woman who was asking for rules to be followed, asking for things to be clean, asking for marriage before sex...essentially a nag.  But having her act as a contrast to Phil does add more layers to her actions. 

*I too tend to find Schaal annoying but she did have her moments in Flight of the Conchords

I'm not going to lie, I would totally be Phil in that situation, but I think I could handle solitude better.  It took me a while to Kristen Schaal's character. Agreed that she's more likable in cartoons. At first when she insisted Phil stop at every stop sign I was like "Really?". Later I could see her point in clinging to rules to stay sane and also rebuild civilization.

At first I thought this series was going to be Jackass each week.

Looks like the virus evaporated every body, flesh, bone, blood, hair, nails etc.  Also, no stopped vehicles at all in the traffic lanes? Seems like Phil's road trip should've been an obstacle course of cars.

The relationship between Phil and Carol has some interesting potential.  Phil in 2015 would pass on Carol, and vice versa.  Now they have to try hard to get along and understand each other.

• Love 2
(edited)

The production design and set dec on this show was mind boggling. His mansion alone was pretty amazing. I would watch the whole series just to admire the millions of tiny details put into it.

I liked the premise that although he can't stand Carol, she shows him that soaking in a margarita pool (and all the other pools) is kind of a sucky way to celebrate that you were the only one spared.

I also had a really big laugh at him going outside and shouting TOMATO. It was like Phil was acknowledging that he thinks this woman is intolerable in so many ways, but also, he will be getting laid by agreeing to a crazy, in no way legally binding married. She is maybe a step up from all the balls. Tomayto tomahto.

ETA: Was I the only one assuming that Carol would die from her foot injury the whole time?

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 2

For me that was so so bad. I had really been looking forward to it too because I love anything After the Apocalypse. I know there's a lack of water but couldn't he wash up once in awhile? He was so disgusting it was distracting to me.

I did like the section about the "treasures" he'd gathered. I wish he'd taken better care of them but that wouldn't have been his style. I couldn't figure out what was on the diningroom table.

Really hated Carol. Part of that I think is because I dislike the actress. But the character was super annoying. Sad when the better option is being all alone.

I think I'm done watching but I'll come by here to see if I missed anything good.

• Love 5

I'm in.  Phil's descent into madness was hilarious but would have been sad with a lesser actor than Will Forte.  My husband was like, "Yay, Mel!" when Kristen Schaal showed up.  She's kooky in general but it works in this. 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the show but my opinion probably can't be trusted because I just loved MacGruber as well.  In fact, I would have been happy with a couple more episodes of Forte talking to his balls and flirting with the mannequin.  

• Love 4

Looks like the virus evaporated every body, flesh, bone, blood, hair, nails etc.  Also, no stopped vehicles at all in the traffic lanes? Seems like Phil's road trip should've been an obstacle course of cars.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I try not to think to hard about plausibility in surrealistic sitcoms.

I didn't dislike the show at all... thought it had some pretty funny moments, actually. The problem, I think, is that the premise and the characters are better suited to a 90-minute movie than a weekly show. I'm guessing the good jokes will get used up fast, but maybe the writers will come through with enough twists to keep it going for a while.

• Love 5

Looks like the virus evaporated every body, flesh, bone, blood, hair, nails etc.  Also, no stopped vehicles at all in the traffic lanes? Seems like Phil's road trip should've been an obstacle course of cars.

I'm guessing that trying to do a comedy where almost everyone else has died would have been impossible to hit any laughs if you also had to deal with corpses everywhere. I agree about the cars though.

I like that they went for a fairly dark premise in that they both wished for others yet ended up being matched with the worst. possible. person. for them to spend the apocalypse with. I'll give it more time. And I liked his taste in artifacts to grab even though he's not treating them all that well.

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm guessing that trying to do a comedy where almost everyone else has died would have been impossible to hit any laughs if you also had to deal with corpses everywhere. I agree about the cars though.

I did read somewhere that because this is, at heart, a comedy, they just had to suspend disbelief with regards to the fact that there are no bodies.  I can (sort of) hand-wave the lack of cars and assume most people were home when sick, and not out driving around.    

What I'm wondering is - did it kill other animals too?   Because surely if you were that alone you'd at least find a cat or dog or [insert domesticated animal of your choice] for company.

And repopulating with just 2 people?  My brain refuses to linger too long on the details of the next generation...

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1

And repopulating with just 2 people?  My brain refuses to linger too long on the details of the next generation.

Ooh yeah that too. If I were in a similar situation I most definitely would not reproduce unless the gene pool had a lot more pairs, because. 1. Bringing kids up in a lonely world is crappy parenting. 2. Encouraging brothers and sisters to do it is especially crappy parenting. 

I read a fantasy book where a family with magical powers highly encouraged cousins to marry in order to concentrate the powers but the thought of cousin f*cking was enough to hit my gag reflex even though it is a perfectly legal thing to do.

• Love 2

Right but if they bothered with stopped cars, they'd need to also have bodies. So in a way it's more logical to handwave and not show either because if the cars were still stopped in traffic there would need to be bodies in them. So once they decide it's too dark/creepy/not funny to show bodies, that effectively nixes the cars.
  • Love 5
(edited)
So once they decide it's too dark/creepy/not funny to show bodies, that effectively nixes the cars.

I can see that but all comedy is somewhat rooted in reality, which is arguably why it's funny.  The best bits of this pilot played on that - guy loots the smithsonian, spends time blowing shit up for laughs, worries about losing his mind as an empty world has no human purpose.  Against this this broad backdrop we have ... two old standup vets doing standup schtick.  Don't get me wrong, I like both the standups but they could have backdropped that aspect of the show (which promises to be the core of it) against pretty much any odd-couple-forced-together scenario and the material would have been pretty much the same.  

Given the premise, it had an oddly generic, predictable quality I didn't savor.  It was kinda like the locations they shot in - great set-up but kinda empty of the kind of detail you'd expect in those circumstances.  I'm not looking for the Walking Dead here but I do like a bit more texture with my meals.

Edited by henripootel

It's sort of, "What if the last two people on earth were SUPER unappealing". And for that reason I'm out.

That's actually what I liked about the show.  Plus the fact I think both of them might actually be insane (it was 2 years of no human contact).  I'm just curious where the show might end up going.  Also, the lack of animals was interesting.  I wonder if that was on purpose or not. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I did read somewhere that because this is, at heart, a comedy, they just had to suspend disbelief with regards to the fact that there are no bodies.  I can (sort of) hand-wave the lack of cars and assume most people were home when sick, and not out driving around. 

I too could accept that everyone stayed inside to avoid the virus (thus no cars on the roads) and suddenly died inside.  So no corpses for Phil and Carol or us to see.

Edited by Beach Party

I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would.  It was well set-up early on, but by the 20 minute mark, I started thinking, "Where are they going with this?", because there's no way I could watch 13 episodes of a guy wandering around all by himself.  The addition of Carol reallt made the show for me; I enjoyed their differences and how grating they were to each other.

When Carol was complaining about how her to-MAH-toes were dying from lack of water, all I could wonder was why they decided to settle in the DESERT of all places.  The lack of A/C must have been terrible, even in that nice house with the giant backyard toilet.

One of my favorite TV shows was Red Dwarf, which had a similar premise of one guy stranded on a spaceship 3 million years in the future, all by himself.  At least he had holographic crew-members, sentient cat people, and robots to keep him company.

• Love 7

Hahaha maybe the virus itself consumes the whole bodies, so nothing left behind...

Man that toilet pool must smell really bad right now, and Carol concentrating her stuff on a little fountain? maybe even worse!

So the cast has 4 main characters, including January Jones, much better looking IMO, I bet she'll be the one having sex with.. also bit more of a DNA pool to repopulate. He can do both

Although the woman seems in her upper 30's not a lot of children to be had, she has to basically only wait the quarantine period and get pregnant again, and who's delivering the child?

Thanks for reminding me about Red Dwarf; I couldn't think of another show with similar premise. (But on that show, he was always meeting new people.)

Man that toilet pool must smell really bad right now, and Carol concentrating her stuff on a little fountain? maybe even worse!

I kept yelling at them to dig a hole out back!

• Love 1

I loved it. Very creative and clever and funny.

I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would.  It was well set-up early on, but by the 20 minute mark, I started thinking, "Where are they going with this?", because there's no way I could watch 13 episodes of a guy wandering around all by himself.  The addition of Carol reallt made the show for me; I enjoyed their differences and how grating they were to each other.

I felt the same way. I was enjoying the setup with Phil doing all the wacko stuff. (My favorite was when he had the fishtanks set up, then backed his truck to them, stopped, and all those bowling balls came out.) But then I wasn't sure how it would be sustained. I hadn't been spoiled about other actors on the show, and I thought we'd be getting lots of flashbacks.

I was very excited to see Schaal. I know she bothers a lot of people, but I think she's perfect for this. I read an interview where she said that Forte's plan was for the audience to keep switching back and forth as to whom they liked and disliked. I can easily see that.

There was so much that was funny. One literal LOL moment for me was when Phil was eating the tomatoes in the night, then there was a sound, and he stopped, looking like a werewolf or some creature. The way the light was shining on his bugging-out eyes was fantastic.

I have high hopes for this show. The creators are pretty darn smart and funny.

• Love 6

So why did he decide on living in the worst place in the world?

It's his home, and now that he's driven around the country leaving signs that he's in Tucson it'd be kind of a pain in the ass to rewrite them all.

• Love 1

Arizona is an odd choice to live come the apocolypse.

There's a reason it took until the 50s for population to really take hold there. Invention of Air Conditioning.

But I guess the offset to that is, harder for predatory animals to take root there too.

Still, I'd have to think California or Georgia, or some other area where you could get some heat relief and food grows on its own seems more practical. But the visuals in Arizona are pretty great.

• Love 2

I like Will Forte and thought he was great in the first two episodes, but I'm not crazy about how the idea of the show didn't even last through the first episode, and even less happy that Kristen Schaal is in it, because she made 30 Rock almost unwatchable. If we had to have a second character, why not have her somewhere else in the country, see an "Alive in Tucson" sign, and watch her try to make her way there? I'd rather see two parallel stories (with a more appealing actress).

Speaking of cars, it's a good thing Phil was able to find enough working gas stations. 

I'll give it one or two more episodes but I don't know how much of Carol I'll be able to stand. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The toilet stuff really bothered me, for multiple reasons. A) ew. B) I get once the water pressure stopped being a functional thing, he'd stop trying to use the actual toilet, but seriously, I don't get why they both were shown to continue attempting to use...whatever previously water-holding ceramic vessel they could find. Pool. Fountain. Why didn't they dig a very deep hole. Or once they established there were still pristine, not looted stores, including HARDWARE stores...like seriously, I know they're not the easiest things to find, but they have everywhere to themselves, could've tried to obtain a composting toilet. Or maybe they'll save that for a later episode's mini-triumph.

I don't mind morbid humor, assuming we end up with any, but if there's lots more toilet humor I'll be unhappy. They did need to address it, but I hope they soon just fix it and move on to other things.

I like Will Forte and thought he was great in the first two episodes, but I'm not crazy about how the idea of the show didn't even last through the first episode

By "idea of the show" do you mean the title? Because for half a second I thought "oh, another human" and then I realized the title was still accurate and they hung a lantern on it because he's the last man on earth, and he found the (as far as we know currently) last woman on earth. So as of the first episode, he is still the last man. I don't know (and don't want to until anything airs) if that changes at some point.

Although on the other hand, I'm still slightly vexed that basically, they've established these as the last human in North America, not on Earth. Unless something flashbacky later tells us that North America was the last place to get destroyed by the virus and it was already known that everywhere else was pretty much toast before it hit here. Or something.

Edited by theatremouse