Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: The Blind Auditions Premiere

• Start Topic

I promised myself I was done... and yet here I am.

Though I really really appreciated Adam not getting any artists, even though I know this is leading to Adam getting someone great. But I really thought he was going to get the last guy, and was thrilled when he went to Pharrell, even though Pharrell was a super bad coach last season.

• Love 10

We all know that Adam is going to get his singers. I mean, he has to. They all have to. That said, watching him struggle is like a GIFT to those of us who have grown weary of eight seasons of his slick, used car salesman, King-of-the-4 chair-turn smugness.  It's just....well, it brings a tear. 

"Want us to call Usher?" 

I'm laughing right there with you, Mr. Shelton. And Pharrell could not have been cuter with that sweet little blond girl. 

Christina. Please don't tell 15 year old boys that you want to be their coach AND their roommate, okay?

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 17

I too loved that this was not Adam's night. It was weird to see his normal tricks not working so well. It also made we wonder when these were filmed. Adam dominated last season and looked like a virtual lock to have an artist win near the end. I would have thought that sort of run last season would have helped him win more artists. I'm happy it didn't though.

Loved Christina being back. She's a strong presence and I enjoy her brand of crazy.

I also appreciate that the Voice features a lot of different audition songs. A few were retreads, but I'm almost certain a few songs were never used before.

The artists were really strong too. I look forward to seeing what Blake, Pharrell, and Christina do with tonight's talent. :-D

• Love 9

Christina. Please don't tell 15 year old boys that you want to be their coach AND their roommate, okay?

At which point, we remarked that it was a good thing the 15 year old boy had a guitar in front of him, lest the camera crew have to shoot him from the chest up.

• Love 7

That girl who sang Cool Kids (kinda badly) - can't even feel sad for her. No turns, but she got to sing with Pharrell as a consolation prize, AND she did not get montaged.

I'm glad Cantaloupe girl didn't get a chair, though mostly because I can't stand her father's demeanor.

Will have to watch Zac Hanson's, err Sawyer Frederick's, performance again. That instant-3-chair makes me such a skeptic.

"You want us to call Usher?"  Indeed, Blake. Indeed.

The artists were really strong too. I look forward to seeing what Blake, Pharrell, and Christina do with tonight's talent. :-D

Yes. This first group already is so much of an improvement from last season. Quite a few awesome voices already. I missed the lady with the glasses, so I'll have to go on line to see what she sang.

Add me to the list of enjoying Adam being shut out. Oh I laughed and laughed at his various faces of "are you kidding me? What do I have to do get someone to pick me?!!"" Priceless.  Although I really thought that last kid was going to pick him. Was not thinking he'd pick Pharrell.  In his intro scenes I had to wait a few seconds to figure out if he was a boy or girl.

I missed the beginning of the show, did Blake mention anything about last season when his one contestant went up against three of Adams and took them all down in the finale? Probably not.  But I sure hope he does somewhere down the line.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 4

This was probably the strongest group of singers in a single audition episode that I have seen in a long while.

I actually picked out the three that didn't get a chair turn, and I really do think that everyone else did deserve to make it onto a team.

Most annoyed at first by the Top 5 Billboard artist because she has already has some success, but her voice is just not as strong as some of the others we heard tonight, so I am willing to wait to see what happens with her. I did appreciate that she didn't play it safe with a country song.

My favorite overall performance in terms of vocal talent was from Joshua, the dad with the blues repertoire. That singer-songwriter vibe is right up my alley.

However, the one that grabbed me right away (I actually watched the bio, which I normally FF through) was Sawyer. First, it was his young face and that long mane of hair, but he has real charisma, even when he is not performing. Then, when he went with that really bold song choice and just killed it (it was the only time I was tapping my toe and bopping in my seat), and I was thrilled for his four chair turn. I really think he has a chance to win it all!

• Love 5

Some of Adam's shocked faces were made even better by the fact that the coach that DID get picked, was just as shocked as he was. LMAO.

When the first singer (bluesy singer with the glasses) picked Blake, Adam Tweeted, "Chalk one up for geography."  She lived in Nashville and it was pretty clear that she knew that she was going with Blake if he turned his chair. When she got all four chairs to turn, Blake probably groveled the LEAST of the four judges, yet he won. The other three just looked at each other like, "What just happened?"

I think that Blake beating Adam with one singer to Adam's three, is still fresh in the current crop of singer's mind, and that it had made an impact. Adam's mojo is taking a hit (for now), and Blake is on cruise control.  I also wonder if Blake was told NOT to turn for the Steel Magnolia singer that he had toured with. 

• Love 6

I hope Pharrell has a better run this season, I like how he pitches his desire to bring out the best in what these singers hope to accomplish. Whereas Adam too often makes it more about himself and sometimes assumes he knows what these people are about straight away. I probably wouldn't want Adam as my coach because he gets rabid about wanting to "crush Blake" and I'd (selfishly!) want his focus more on me. ha

'Twas a treat to see Pharrell sing Happy with the high schooler who appeared to have nerves get the better of her, though perhaps a different song than Cool Kids would've worked out.

Like Christina, I'm interested in hearing (no pun intended) more background about her girl with parents who are deaf and has a mid-tone issue herself.

Although I'm not a fan of Christina's singing style and attitude at times, I like this combo of coaches. Many strong performers tonight. An enjoyable start to the season.

Edited by KR Vermont

Sawyer is currently dominating iTunes. #55, while the next-highest is #144.

It's interesting to see when the producers' fave (as demonstrated via who gets the final perf of the night) aligns with the public's. 

• Love 2

Cody got a four-chair turn with "He Stopped Loving Her Today." I think he chose a really great song, frankly, but I agree with Blake that Cody has that Merle Haggard sound. I don't think Cody will make it very far, but I look forward to his next performance.

I get the feeling that Adam has lost interest in this show. He has started talking in clichés.

Edited by ennui

Treeva (deaf parents girl) should have gone with Blake. I felt Christina regretted turning around and was not really excited about her. Blake honestly acted as if he wanted her.

This whole Adam not getting a pick is a bunch of baloney. The teams are probably evenly stacked at this point, this was just editing monkeys. Only to make Adam's first pick all the more glorious.

I wonder if The Voice people tweet for them during the show. I would almost guess yes, as if it were me, I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Sawyer is good, I just hope he made the right choice - this is not Usher, of Justin Beiber fame, and I hope he didn't mess that up.

• Love 1

So....I like how they didn't even pay lip service to Meghan Linsey's reality show past. Her duo, Steel Magnolia may have been gigging for a while before their record deal but in actuality it came from them winning a season of CMT's Can You Duet? Her solo career hasn't completely stalled out either....Comcast has a CMT Pure video channel (not totally sure how widely available it is) and she's gotten a little airplay over the last year w/ a cover of One Republic's Counting Stars as well as a WTF song called "Try Harder Than That" featuring a rap from Bubba Sparxxx.

Joshua Davis was awesome and maybe just maybe has a little bit of a Josh Kaufman backstory vibe. I just hope that Adam remembers how much he wanted him tonight when Blake inevitably pairs him up against Cody or some other male country singer to-be-named-later and doesn't advance him in the battles or knockouts.

Sawyer was really good, but man the Hanson meets Mumford & Sons look is going to be seriously distracting moving forward. 

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I was thinking that Christina might have thought that he was a girl at that point, since he has one of those 'surname as given name' things that can go either way..

I thought he was a girl when they kept showing him on the teasers, although it was obvious he was male as soon as he spoke and I could actually see his face for more than a five second clip..

• Love 2

Oh, The Voice.

Adam's still grandstanding on his chair, etc., but Xtina really has the confidence to handle these boys. LOL at her running up to claim Rob Taylor as soon as the music ended and her cute impromptu falsetto: "I want chuuuuuuu!"

Pharrell's smooth pitches come across too full of BS for me this season. And of course he had to sing Happy again, but at least it cheered that girl up and gave her more exposure.

Sawyer made me think of Hanson, too. He seems like a true contender. 

Edited by anonymiss

Cody, the country singer, had a stellar voice. If the show's audience doesn't abhor country contestants at this point, he could go pretty far.

Megan once opened for Brad Paisley... and now she's wearing some bad paisley!!! Ah, I kill me. :) I don't get why she's even trying out, the show and she both freely admit she had her shot already, even toured with a coach... but whatever I guess. While not one of my favorites, other than some creaky spots there she really is a fine singer. I also felt bad that Blake was the only one who didn't turn around, and obviously didn't recognize her without some edited out prompting.

What was with Pharrell during Joshua's performance? He was going whoo, getting into it, saying his singing was "crazy"... then never hit his button and looked disappointed? Was this a late audition and those two couldn't turn?

Uh... guys, what the hell was with that Bryce girl at the end, just before Sawyer? The whole thing was sooo sketchy: her weird hallway interview with Carson at her high school; the pageant bot answers; her dreadful singing of the blind audition song; the forced mention of her having once sung Pharell's song in public (who gives a crap?) and then his joining her on stage for "Happy" (I skipped much of it, but the parts I heard were not so good either); even a weird disgusted vibe and sarcastic muttered "No you weren't" from Adam at the very end after Blake said something about being a dummy. Calling it now, but she must be the daughter or niece or something of a person very well connected in Hollywood- shit, her dad's Scottish, Mark Burnett is English... you never know. I'm typing this live on my phone as I watch so haven't read any comments, but I'll be surprised if I'm the only person who sensed that. Aaaand... I guess it was just me. :)

That last guy, Sawyer... first, when puberty is finished baking him, he's going to be a ladykiller; he looks like he should be on a cover of Tiger Beat in the late 1970s (and his mom is quite a MILF too). He is a diamond in the rough, very very raw but great potential. He might be a star, if Pharrell can help him harness that vocal power and make smarter phrasing and dynamic choices. Then again, at 15 there is a chance he becomes the first contestant ever eliminated because their voice changed in the middle of a song.

And kudos to the editors, they got me- I was sure Adam was getting the pick! But he deserved to continue his 0-fer, Blake even chastised him earlier and he didn't learn, giving yet another fake spiel that's all about him. Obviously he's going to get his share of picks and do well, but I'm glad they had some fun and fooled at least me.

On a final, shallow note, Christina looked really good tonight. I like when she's comfortably curvy and not overdone with the bedazzling makeup.

• Love 1

Adam deserved the shutout tonight. His pitches were more desperate and self-centered than normal and even his tweets back to Blake seemed mean-spirited and nasty.

Pharrell is not a good coach. He has an ear for talent and his pitches work really well but I have yet to be impressed by his coaching methods. I fear for Sawyer who I thought was the best out of all of them.

I find Christina to be catty at times but she is the only female coach that this show has had who is competitive enough to hang with the guys. The way she fought for artists tonight is a huge breath of fresh air. I'm happy Treeva went with her because she can help Treeva with technical issues and focus more on singing techniques as opposed to the performance aspect.

Blake is awesome. His shtick works. His smackdowns of Adam were great.

• Love 1

Adam's downfall is that he's not a producer and he's not a major country star. 

Contestants are getting smarter and they going with the people who can help them with their career AFTER the show. I'm sure Adam can do that but not as well as Pharrell and Blake.  It was the same thing that happened with Ceelo.  Everyone picked him because of what they could do for them later on.

And I totally didn't get all the gushing about Cody(?).  Maybe it's because I'm not big into country (but I know a good country voice) and wasn't familiar with the song but I didn't understand them telling him he was the best country vocal they've EVER had. 

I wasn't real happy to see Christina back but it appears as though that stick out of her behind has been removed.  

Did anyone else notice that Pharrell got booted from his chair so that Christina could have "her" chair back?

• Love 3

I caught the 2nd hour of this episode in bits and pieces.  I tend to favor the professionals so I liked the female soul singer (who used to sing country and had a record label) and the male folk singer.  Not a fan of the youngsters who usually falter later in the competition and who can't emote or really relate to the songs.  The last kid (Sawyer?) sounded great, but is he going to be all smiley like Danielle Bradbery?

These season 8 blinds were taped at the end of Oct.  Right around the time season 7 knockouts were airing.  So if these contestants were influenced by anything, it would have been season 7 blinds and battles.

This episode's narrative about Adam struggling is very repetitive.  They've done it for at least the past two seasons. When it actually turned out that Adam got a ton of 3- and 4-chair turns. We'll see what happens this season. 

That girl who sang Cool Kids (kinda badly) - can't even feel sad for her. No turns, but she got to sing with Pharrell as a consolation prize, AND she did not get montaged.

She was awful, I am surprised that didn't get thrown in the montage heap. Considering how many people audition for this show, I can't believe someone that bad would make it to the blinds. Though I suppose she could have completely choked up on stage (aka "pulling a Luke").

I was happy to hear Blake say his strategy this season was to not pigeonhole himself in one genre. We'll see if he follows through or if his team ends up being the Blake Country Show.

Shallow end of the pool: I was completely distracted by Meghan Linsey's awful neon floral pantsuit. Whaaa???

Edited by MelsW
  • Love 2

Shallow end of the pool: I was completely distracted by Meghan Linsey's awful neon floral pantsuit. Whaaa???

This. It is like you are going to an audition and you pick that to wear, some 70's Austin Powers pantsuit? It was distracting.

I liked Sawyer and I usually do not like the younger contestants that much. He has a cool laid back attitude that I enjoy. It is nice to have him around when I have to suffer through Daniel Seavey on American Idol.

• Love 2

Sawyer's hair care products. I don't know if it's the hair styling monkeys at show, or the kid is just naturally gifted, but women all over the country were thinking, "What? How?" Pretty, pretty. So yeah, maybe Christina DID think that he was a girl when she made that "I wanna be your roommate," comment. Blake certainly knew he was a boy, because he reacted to the comment as soon as she said it.

I too loved that this was not Adam's night. It was weird to see his normal tricks not working so well. It also made we wonder when these were filmed. Adam dominated last season and looked like a virtual lock to have an artist win near the end. I would have thought that sort of run last season would have helped him win more artists. I'm happy it didn't though.

Maybe some of the contestants feel like I do -  I used to be a fan.  Then  I saw Adam's "Animal"  music video and cannot look at him without those disturbing psycho-creepy stalker- bloody weirdo images coming to my mind.  

I can't be the only one .

• Love 3

I think the show has picked up on how many people think Adam is a great big douche and gave us a little gift last night...As the show goes on I'm sure there will be some dudes in hats/giggling girls with crushes that will pick him.  It was a nice thing to see though, even if it probably wasn't real.

It seems we have a promising start to this season with a variety of different types of singers.  I hope Pharrell learned a great big lesson from last year's show and gives us some of his talent this year.  The man is INSANELY talented, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just new and learning the ropes.  He jacks it up again though, and I'm done with him.

Not thrilled to have Christina back, but it does make the show interesting when there is a super villain on. At least that's how I see her....lol

• Love 4

Glad to see that Adam's pitches to the contestants to pick him didn't work at all on last night's episode. Obviously, he's going to eventually get people on his team, but it was nice to see that some people didn't fall so easily for what he was saying. I loved how Blake called Adam out on making it all about him rather than about helping the contestant.

Pharrell disappointed me last season, but I think that he realized his mistakes and will probably be a better coach this season. He has a front-runner in Sawyer so I hope he doesn't let him go like he did with Katriss last season.

• Love 2

So many times, we see singers who have one great audition song and then quickly slide into the background because they don't have much more than that one good idea. I liked Sawyer's audition quite a bit, and am inclined to think that by going with Pharell he's the kind of artist who is looking to keep trying to really put his own spin on things when Adam or Blake would have been the 'safe' choice if he wanted to stick close to a country or rock box.

As for his hair, I assume he buys product over the intrawebs like a lot of rural folks do these days.

I didn't understand them telling him he was the best country vocal they've EVER had. 

Not to mention how insulting this is to country vocalist Craig Wayne Boyd, last year's, you know, winner!!

Anyway, I really liked almost all of these performances, unlike last season when I was completely bummed after the first night of blinds.  If it keeps up like this, this season could be really good and I'm looking forward to it.  

• Love 1

Good lord.  Could the show be saying ANY clearer that having Blake and Adam on the panel is just stifling the show?  I mean all of us being excited Adam isn't getting acts, and fully expecting that Blake will get any artist from the South, doing Country Music, or who wants to simply ride the percentages and go with him because he's won so often?

Pharrell needs to win this season.  I'm saying it now.  It won't ever be Christina, so P is the show's only hope.

Then again, Usher winning hardly made a dent.  So maybe not. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Good lord.  Could the show be saying ANY clearer that having Blake and Adam on the panel is just stifling the show?  I mean all of us being excited Adam isn't getting acts, and fully expecting that Blake will get any artist from the South, doing Country Music, or who wants to simply ride the percentages and go with him because he's won so often?

Pharrell needs to win this season.  I'm saying it now.  It won't ever be Christina, so P is the show's only hope.

Then again, Usher winning hardly made a dent.  So maybe not. 

I agree that some parts of the show are very predictable.  I mean, this whole Adam discussion here is exactly the same as during the past couple of seasons, if not longer.  Just re-read last season's blind audition threads...Adam's schticks are getting old, contestants have caught on and only fools would pick him, yada yada yada. It's not like The Voice is ever going to build a narrative highlighting how weak the other coaches are. That's no fun.  So we're stuck with the same old, same old.

I posted an interview link in the media thread.  It's with an NBC executive on how the network looks at the show, potential coaching changes, potential format changes, etc.  I think we can expect some more tweaks this season as they try to keep viewers engaged.  

I also really liked Sawyer so I hope Pharrell doesn't mess it up.  I also hope Sawyer doesn't turn just one good performance.  He has a really powerful voice especially for a 15 year old.  I wasn't sure if he was a boy or girl either during the teasers since he does have beautiful hair.  But once he sang, to me, it was obvious he was a boy.  Maybe, Christina just got carried away with her pitch.

That one girl choked.  The only reason why she wasn't montaged was to show Pharrell singing Happy with her.  She did seem a little less nervous when she sang with him even if it was still not very good.

I think they purposely edited the show to make it look like Adam didn't have anybody at the beginning.  I think they showed the contestants out of order. 

Uh... guys, what the hell was with that Bryce girl at the end, just before Sawyer? The whole thing was sooo sketchy: her weird hallway interview with Carson at her high school; the pageant bot answers; her dreadful singing of the blind audition song; the forced mention of her having once sung Pharell's song in public (who gives a crap?) and then his joining her on stage for "Happy" (I skipped much of it, but the parts I heard were not so good either); even a weird disgusted vibe and sarcastic muttered "No you weren't" from Adam at the very end after Blake said something about being a dummy.

Is she what it takes in the real world (vs. Glee) to go win at Nationals?  Cause... she kinda... sucked.

• Love 3

I posted an interview link in the media thread.  It's with an NBC executive on how the network looks at the show, potential coaching changes, potential format changes, etc.  I think we can expect some more tweaks this season as they try to keep viewers engaged.  

The piece also clearly implies that going forward, both Blake and Adam are there, pretty much forever and always.  So that just leaves tricks and illusions to imply change.

Good lord.  Could the show be saying ANY clearer that having Blake and Adam on the panel is just stifling the show?  

Honestly, I don't think the higher ups will care about any of that unless the ratings start dropping. Until then, they will keep the format as is and let it play it as it has: even if Adam and Blake's schtick stays the same; even if Blake wins with another country singer; even if it's been just TWO months since the last season (!!): If it's still the #1 show, nothing much will change. 

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion, but I do not mind Adam and Blake's schtick. I could do without one or the other winning most of the time, and I have to remind myself that I should be rooting for whichever contestant that I like best despite the coach. I do not mind Adam and Blake giving each other hell. I really liked last seasons judging panel with Pharrell and Gwen added, though I do not mind Usher or Shakira either, but enjoyed the other two more. I dislike Christina way more than I dislike any of the other coaches, but that is just me.

• Love 8

Well, the ratings are holding pretty steady so I doubt there will be any drastic changes.

I don't mind Adam/Blake either separately or their shtick. Christina has been my least favorite judge in the past, but I have to say I enjoyed her yesterday. She seems happier somehow. I hope it lasts.

Overall, I thought I was a great first show. I don't choose favorites until all the battles are over because why get invested in someone who won't be around, but I see some definite rooting possibilities.

• Love 6

Unpopular opinions here, too.

I think the show is entertaining, and that's why I watch it.   Most of the singers who make it to the live shows are really talented.   I liked last season a lot because there were singers with a variety of styles.

I thought there was a lot of talent last night.    

I don't mind which coach wins, honestly.

I like Blake a lot.   He has a quick wit, and I think he's a good coach.

I like Adam, too.   Their banter is funny to me -- most of the time.  

Christina is my least favorite coach, but she's a good contrast to all the Blake/Adam hilarity and the tender-loving-care that Pharrell heaps on the contestants, especially those who lose and look really sad.

I feel sorry for the kids who get no chairs to turn.  It must be so disheartening to be singing to the back of the chairs for the whole song.

I hope Pharrell does better as a coach this season.   I'm glad he's getting a second chance at it.

I enjoy reading all the opinions posted here.

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 10

Unpopular opinion, but I do not mind Adam and Blake's schtick. I could do without one or the other winning most of the time, and I have to remind myself that I should be rooting for whichever contestant that I like best despite the coach. I do not mind Adam and Blake giving each other hell. I really liked last seasons judging panel with Pharrell and Gwen added, though I do not mind Usher or Shakira either, but enjoyed the other two more. I dislike Christina way more than I dislike any of the other coaches, but that is just me.

The shtick is fine--at worst its annoying but not a deal killer.

The problem is the predictability.  We know going into it that every country singer will pick Blake.  We know most Southerners will pick Blake, regardless of genre. We also know the astute people simply playing the odds will pick Blake.

We also know that Adam, last episode aside (because honestly, it's a fluke) will scoop up the people who suspect that Blake will eventually ditch them for a Country singer.  Those are often straight up rock acts, Guy With Guitar acts, and on the female side the Indie performers. 

We know Christina likely gets all the Diva singers, mostly because the other coaches cede that territory to her and often won't even turn.

That leaves the R&B crowd, who occasionally go with Adam if they're quirky, or with Christina if they're divas, but otherwise go with the Usher/Pharrell/Cee-Lo seat

We know that the R&B crowd, regardless of the coach will likely get one finalist.  We know that another will be a Country singer, who has a fairly large chance of winning.  And I guess there's usually one random Guy With Guitar type and/or Indie Girl.

Did I miss anything?  I'm sure I did.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Blake is a great coach. He understand country, but he gets rock too. After all, it IS an offshoot of country music.

I'm an old school Heavy Metal girl, with a ton of love for Punk Rock. I'd pick him, over any of the other coaches. He UNDERSTANDS my genre, and so do the people who watch this show. The posters here completely underestimate country/rock music listeners. We're going to pick who we think has a great voice, and can go the distance in the music industry. It just so happens...those are, mostly, Blakes contestants.

Cody sang a George Jones song. George Jones is the PINNACLE of country music, and he did a great job.

• Love 6

After sitting through the Idol eliminations to get to a (largely mediocre--but overall very attractive!) final 24, I'm so happy the Voice is back. And they (the editors) started out with a four chair turn for Sarah Potenza, a 34 year old heavy set woman who looks 45 and is the opposite of what Idol looks at with women--but she was excellent and deserved to be chosen. Better, imo, than the vast majority of Idol contestants this season who I'm convinced, in many cases, are only there for their looks (Daniel, I'm looking at you.)

I loved that she chose Blake and hope he'll live up to her expectations. Regardless of my genre, he'd be my choice too. I think he really puts into practice what Pharrell preaches--and is open to what his singers want, if they let him know.  I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that starting with Sarah was the editors' shoutout to Idol with a definite "We're different!" and "We're Back!"

I notice, too that AI has ceded Monday/Tuesday to the Voice and is now on Wed/Thursday. That may not really help them much ratings-wise as people may be less likely to want 4 nights of singing competitions. Time will tell.

• Love 1

Maybe it's because I've been watching the Voice UK, which is pretty lackluster this season, but I think everyone was pretty strong last night (except for the dollar store Rachel Berry).  I guess the talent well isn't running out after all, considering last season was pretty weak.

Like someone said upthread, I was distracted by Megan Linsey's 70s floral jumpsuit.  And it didn't help that she sang "Love Hurts" because I just kept thinking about the musical episode of That 70s show when they sang that song.  I like her though.  I don't exactly mind that she's had some success because the Voice has had somewhat established artists since the first season.
Also, Sawyer looks like Chloe Grace Moretz.  And he has lovely hair, and seems to have a lovely spirit about him.

I've decided to do something different this season and keep a scorecard/cheat sheet of the teams thus far.  That way, I'll remember them when the Battles and Knockouts get here:

Team Adam

None.  (Yay!)

Team Pharrell
Lowell Oakley (2)
Meghan Linsey (3)
Sawyer Fredericks (4)

Team Christina
Rob Taylor (3)
Treeva Gibson (2)

Team Blake
Sarah Potenza (4)
Cody Wickline (4)
Joshua Davis (2)

Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of chairs to turn for each artist.

As for the rest, I think if Bryce had done "Happy" right off the bat, she'd have gotten a chair turn.  I was a bit sad for Ivonne, who did seem like a nice girl, but while her voice was good, something about it seemed not quite there yet, so I can see why she didn't manage a turn.  And Mason?  Whatever.  Another white guy with a guitar.  Not really losing anything from his ouster.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
As for the rest, I think if Bryce had done "Happy" right off the bat, she'd have gotten a chair turn.

Nah, it was endearing as a performance with Pharrell but she didn't really do anything special with it and she needs to learn how to get a hold on her nerves too.

The big red chairs are back! Woohoo!

I've been kind of skipping seasons.  I think I skipped all of last year, actually.  But I am stoked for this season.  I think I just needed a break or 2.

Anyway... Round 1 of the blinds have me encouraged that this is going to be an inspired season!  The first woman (can't remember her name) with the naturally raspy voice was awesome.  I can't wait to see what she can do.  Cody (country guy with guitar) had a very rich sounding voice.  Blake was right to compare him to Merle Haggard with the way his voice floats over some of the notes.  He's probably my favorite so far!  Sawyer Frederick was also great and I just KNEW that he would pick team Pharell.  He's truly unique.

Speaking of Pharrell, I just love him as a coach!  His interactions with contestants seem so natural and effortless.  You can tell he just really enjoys the music above everything else.  SO good to see my girl Christina back! :)

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the opening song for the coaches was a little choppy.

I noticed that Blake isn't gravitating toward the female artists with the affected vocals.  He seems to be all in with the country.

Looking forward to an awesome season!!

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 1

As for the rest, I think if Bryce had done "Happy" right off the bat, she'd have gotten a chair turn. 

You think?

I dunno. She was still pretty dreadful, even singing that with Pharrell's help.

Again, it puzzles me about what's actually in the real Nationals outside of what that stupid show Glee has led us to suspect.  Maybe under other circumstances the girl is better, but what we heard was pretty shoddy.

• Love 2