Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: SNAFU

I think since Thomson saw Peggy in action and how much she wanted to save the day, he's going to have some reservations about her traitor status. Sousa trusted her because he thought they had a similar understanding of being thought of as less capable. He doesn't know really know her. Thomson got to know her a little bit and saw that respected soldiers respected her. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8

I think since Thomson saw Peggy in action and how much she wanted to save the day, he's going to have some reservations about her traitor status. Sousa trusted her because he thought they had a similar understanding of being thought of has less capable. He doesn't know really know her. Thomson got to know her a little bit and saw that respected soldiers respected her. 

Makes sense. Sousa is angry that the version of Peggy he had in his head isn't real, and feels betrayed both on a professional level and on a personal one, because the woman he had a crush on (but didn't really know) has turned out to be less perfect in reality. Thompson has come at it from the opposite direction, and has grown to respect Peggy and her abilities, through witnessing them. He definitely seemed to recognise a fellow soldier, in the previous episode. 

There's something interesting to be said about moral absolutism and a more pragmatic sense of right and wrong as well, but I'm not sure the show will really touch on that.

• Love 3

Strategically, it's also a smart way to throw her off-balance.  She's seen Thompson's usual interrogation techniques and she's used to Sousa being the understanding one.  Now those stances are reversed, and even if she can recognize the switch logically, I imagine that it would still be disorienting, especially combined with the Chief actually professing respect for her abilities.  Add to that the fact that Peggy knows that Dottie is still running around and must be neutralized, but the SSR will not a) feel that sense of urgency, b) believe any warnings from her, or c) believe her when she tells them the truth about past events.  The last two episodes should be a wild ride.

I'm really going to miss this show!

• Love 2

Agent Carter has become the brightest spot in my (admittedly slim) roster of weekly TV watching. I am on edge about the last two episodes and can't wait to see how this week's interrogation sequence resolves. Will Peggy give them a piece of intel that resonates so much they have to check it out? And will that sway them to give her more credence? Will Dottie interrupt things with her sniper rifle?

• Love 2

Was that a Madbomb? I'm not up on my Kirby/Marvel mythos, but I think that was a Madbomb. Holy crap, Howard Stark has a lot to answer for.

I'm not as married to this show as others, but I wouldn't mind another season down the line . . .  maybe with an SSR that respects Peggy, and never underestimates her. Also, she and Jarvis need to team up again. They have good chemistry together.

ETA: Anybody else think "Human Bomb" seeing poor Dooley?

ETA2: I'm not up on military terminology. What does "SNAFU" stand for? Actually, I suspect what the "FU" part represents.

I'm thinking no one attacked Finnau (sp?). Whatever happened has something to do with item 17.

Jarvis was adorable this ep, but also kind of failboaty, as usual. What even was his plan? It was a terrible plan. He and Peggy have such a lovely comedic timing together. Nice to see Jarvis finally getting furious with Howard and all of his shortcomings. It's been slowly building episode by episode. I can't wait to see it explode next week.

Bridget Regan looked so beautiful. I guess whatever her new alias is requires better hair and styling.

I think the Russian has to get away at the end of this season. Between the amputation flashback and the hypnosis, I think we're seeing one of the doctors behind the future Winter Soldier. Either that or the work was already completed before he came to New York. That said, why wouldn't he take the blood? I mean, why not, right?

• Love 4

Damn...I actually teared up a little bit. I was terrified that Dooley was going to be forced to kill his family, but this was pretty awful too. 

Great episode. Please Please renew this show! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

I'll miss Chief Dooley and am sad that he had to sacrifice himself to save the others. Heroic, though.

I agree: the amputation scene certainly hints at the development of the Winter Soldier story-mind control so powerful it convinces a man undergoing severe trauma that he is strolling with his mother.

I'm eager to see the conclusion but sad to see the series end.

• Love 2

So, Leviathan's goal boils down to a NCIS-type plot?  With a dry run taken from an old X-Files episode?  I'm a bit nonplussed. I still enjoy the show, though,  

Loved your X-Files reference. Pine Bluff Variant - GREAT Season 5 episode. So many classic moments.

I really liked the episode, especially the part when Peggy spells out for all three of the men why they unestimated her. The "wounded kitten", "woman on a pedestal", and "secretary turned damsel in distress." NAILED it. I also loved when she pointed out that literally all of this ridiculous situation could have been avoided if they had treated her like a human person and listened to her from Day 1 when she said Howard Stark wasn't capable of this kind of thing.

Peggy and Jarvis continue to slay me. I love their dynamic. And I couldn't help but notice that Jarvis never fit Peggy into one of the three categories the other men did. He respected her as an equal from the start. Not even Howard did that.

• Love 9

Here's the first review, once again posted at 10:01 pm Eastern: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/17/marvels-agent-carter-recap-episode-7-snafu/

Most interesting was a link there to an article from last week by somebody who had already figured out that Ivchenko is the MCU version of long-time Captain America foe Doctor Faustus.  I should have recognized Faustus' M.O. immediately...

R.I.P. Dooley.  Well, now there's an opening for Agent Flynn (Bradley Whitford) to take over in the Agent Carter One-Shot, unless they will eliminating that from continuity.  (But if so, it will be after this series - he's not on the guest cast list for next week.) 

This was a great episode.

Chief Dooley was sad. I was surprised that I felt that much for him. I wanted to stand up and cheer the writers for that scene though. That was the payoff of developing all the characters on the show. I cared when they were in danger/dying.  TV deaths should matter beyond how they advance the plot.

I could watch nothing more than Peggy and Jarvis run dialogue in an interrogation room all night.  The whole conversation with the table was hysterical.

One of the best things this series does is add humerous fun moments to the action and suspense. Not everything has to be dark and depressing.

The theater scene was creepy; I can't wait to see what the pay off is with that.

I continue to be so impressed with the set design. The theater was gorgeous.

I don't know if it is because there are only 8 episodes of this show (which is actually working against it for me because I keep watching the clock and thinking slow down please there are only x amount of these left) but the story is so tightly woven. Everyone has a purpose and a skill to add. They didn't include any unnecessary characters. No one feels like they are standing around waiting for something to do. I appreciate that so much.

The visual effect of Dooley jumping from the window was very well done.

Every single actor in this show is great. But HA and Jarvis are stand outs for me.

ABC can have my money for DVD's, comic sales whatever it wants I just need more episodes.

• Love 8

Wow! That was a great episode! Damn I love this show.

Actually felt sorry for Dooley. And hjs family.

Dottie leaping down the stairs was cool.

I very rarely buy shows on DVD, but this us one show I could watch over and over. Hope it gets renewed!

Gives a whole new meaning to "taking the stairs"! Good episode, but not my favorite, as it had Peggy sidelined through most of it.

• Love 1

Whoa, I didn't expect Dooley to actually die.  That was painful to watch, especially after the scenes of reconciling with his family that will now never happen ...

I wonder what the intended purpose of item 17 was; I hope it will come up next episode.  (In other words, just *what* were you thinking, Howard?)

Peggy and Jarvis flinging the table through the one-way mirror was my favorite scene.  Cute physical comedy in an episode that was pretty tense otherwise.

The preview card for next week said "season finale" and not "series finale."  I know that's no guarantee, but we can still hope!

• Love 2

Wow Chief Dooley.  Wow.  I didn't see it coming even though I should have.    Loved that he looked to Peggy when he wanted to make sure that someone would make Leviathan pay for everything they've done.   Considering how furious Chief Dooley was with Peggy, in the end when she promised Leviathan would go down and he said "Atta Girl" it came off touchingly paternal.    I thought we got rare glimpses of Dooley being proud of Peggy, specifically when the russian mission was believed to be a success but his final scene was much more forthright.    Even when Kirminsky died, the writers managed to fill the scenes with a sense of camaraderie and I really like that.

Interesting dynamic with both Peggy/Thompson and Peggy/Sousa.   And really liked when Peggy exploded with why she launched her own investigation.   Dooley, Sousa and Thompson really were shocked that Peggy didn't feel she could come to them.

Also really cool sense of camaraderie between Sousa and Thompson, when Thompson acknowledged that they could be in over their head and they better shoot to kill on site.    It was EARNED that Thompson acknowledged that they can't underestimate the assassin just because she's a woman, he all but admitted that one woman against all of them, the odds were in HER (Dottie's) favor.

I was really worried for Sousa when he encountered Dottie in the building.  He put up a good fight but when she marched toward him to finish the job I was SO relieved he managed to grab his gun.    I was in awe at Dottie's Spiderman routine down the stairwell.   The SSR really underestimates women to their detriment.

It's incredible what the writers have done for the Peggy Carter Character.    She's clearly lived such an incredible life and I just want to know more.   What other missions did she go on, what other enemies did she encounter.    Steve Rogers was just the beginning for her and it's awesome.

Though her moment with Steve's blood still made me feel a pang.    And I can't imagine what it took for her to be honest with Dooley and the others about what motivated her.

Incredible episode.   Awesome show.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 17

Every time Jarvis and agent carter were chatting or plotting I was just giggling. They are hilarious together.

The chief Dooley stuff was heavy.

Peggy calling everyone out about their opinions of her during the investigation was also great . I loved the stray kitten line. I'm sure I'll have more later.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 1
Was that a Madbomb? I'm not up on my Kirby/Marvel mythos, but I think that was a Madbomb. Holy crap, Howard Stark has a lot to answer for.

Another good catch - Kirby introduced the Madbomb in his first storyline after returning to the Captain America comic book in 1975.  http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-Jack-Kirby-Vol/dp/0785115579

Anybody else think "Human Bomb" seeing poor Dooley?

That's a Quality and later DC character - wrong universe, sorry!

• Love 1

At least Dooley went out like a badass.

They're giving more layers to Thompson's character, with his believing in Peggy, and warning Sousa and meaning both of them.  Speaking of Sousa it looked like he was about to say he didn't see Peggy as invisible, he saw her as an agent.

• Love 1

I can see why the Russians named their agents after spiders. What even was that parkour stair thing. Also Sousa, Thomson said shoot first, not say freeze. At least Thomson has learned that women are just as capable as men in the art of kicking ass. 

Poor Cheif Dooely. He went out a hero. 

I love that Peggy just lays the truth down, Jarvis asks about the possibilities and she gives it to him straight. Of course when they were getting ready to ram the window Ii was asking what they planned on doing taking the table with them? Peggy telling the men that she know exactly how they saw her and she couldn't go to them because they didn't think she was worth listening too. 

HA is such an amazing actress, every time she looked at the vial of Steve's blood you could see the water start to form in her eyes. They all made fun of her for being Captain America's girlfriend but even they saw that she loved him. 

I guess Item 17 was the cause of Finnau(?). The Military must have used Howard's invention and that's why Howard punched the General. 

This show needs a Season 2. I want to see more of Peggy's adventures. She lives to be 90 something that's a lot of story to tell. 

• Love 5

I had minor nitpicks with tonight's episode--there was a stretch where Peggy was off-screen for too long, Sousa was a damn idiot for NOT immediately calling for backup, and the show didn't make Dooley truly engaging or likeable enough for me to care about his death (not aided by his grand idiocy with the Russian hypnotist--seriously, the SSR, Peggy excluded, are SO DUMB*)--but nevertheless, I thought this was BY FAR the best episode since the pilot. I feel like tonight's episode was the one where it finally clicked--where this show became what I hoped it would be, when everything started working. It feels like it took a giant step forward toward fulfilling its potential tonight.

Atwell and d'Arcy were on fire this episode. Their (platonic) chemistry was so excellent tonight, especially when she got him to confess he forged the confession and when they were swinging the table. They really do work well together. I friend-ship them SO HARD.

How gross was it that Dottie just left the dentist's body? Barfworthy. Speaking of Dottie, Bridget Regan continues to be creepy as hell in the role. Dottie is just so, well, dotty--so off, but also not at all off--she's just majorly creepy. And there's just enough ScarJo in her performance that you can see that Natasha will be a product of the same system that produced Dottie. Nice work, BR.

Atwell KILLED the scene where she handed over Steve's blood. Just slayed it. Atwell is just so talented. I really, really wish the MCU would just come up with some crazy way to teleport Agent Carter-era Peggy to the present day, because she's just so boss and she and Steve are by far the best MCU couple.

*=I especially loved the oh-so-shocked faces on the men when Peggy said she didn't feel like she could come to them about Stark, as if they a) hadn't been systematically degrading and devaluing her for weeks, knowing full well they were doing so, AND b) hadn't committed so hard to Howard Stark being TEH EVUL from the word go that they might as well have been wearing a wedding ring on each finger to symbolize how married they were to that idea. Newsflash, guys, Peggy said FOREVER ago Howard was innocent, and you shut her down. What else was she supposed to do? I loved how Peggy dropped all that on them, though. She was very clinical--reporting and factual instead of accusatory or emotional--and that made what she said so much better, made it hit home for them.

but I wouldn't mind another season down the line . . .  maybe with an SSR that respects Peggy, and never underestimates her.

This. I do think the show erred by having Peggy be ground down at work for way too long. This episode was much more interesting to me in part because Peggy FINALLY got to take her rightful position among/at the forefront of the men. Seeing Peggy be humiliated/disrespected/etc constantly actually became painful for me to watch. I hope this show gets another season--it's so much better than AoS--but they better not reset to Peggy needing to earn everyone's respect again. Let her be the rightful queen she is!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 9

Oh, Dooley.  I kind of figured someone was going to die tonight.  At first, I thought Daniel was a goner, when I realized he was on the same floor Dottie was on, and when he found her, he didn't freaking shoot her (dammit, Sousa!  Jack might be a dick, but he was right!  You had one job!).  But, once he managed to wrangle away, I just had that feeling that whatever the Doctor had planned for Dooley, was going to have a tragic ending.  At least he went out making sure no one else got blown up. And showing Peggy some respect.  Great show as always from Shea Whigham.  Between this and Boardwalk Empire, he's got a knack for playing characters who could normally just be jerks, but give them humanity.

The opening interrogation scenes were pretty good.  I like how it went against the norm: Jack tried to "reason" with Peggy and remain calm, while it was Daniel who got all mad and yelled.  I think Peggy had him, well, pegged, when she said something along the lines of that he had put her on a pedestal, and since she suddenly wasn't the perfect woman he thought she was, he was being a complete jerk.  At least he (and Jack, for that matter), seemed to show a little bit of guilt for his behavior, and believed her at the end.

Peggy and Jarvis breaking the interrogation window is just another example of why I need more of this show.  There can't be only one more of episode of them.  TV needs more Peggy/Jarvis!  They are the best.  Even if Jarvis is like the world's worst potential spy.  I loved that all he could really blame his poor decisions on was because he was panicking.  Oh, Jarvis.   You are lucky Peggy likes you and is better at this whole thing.

So, the Doctor and Dottie's big plan was unleashing a weapon of Howard's, that makes everyone lose their minds, and start attacking one another.  Found that more hilarious then I should have, since I just saw the Kingsman film today, which had a similar plot.

Can't believe next week will be the finale.  These seven episodes went by in a flash.  I really want another season of Peggy, Jarvis, Howard, Angie, Daniel,... hell, I even find Jack interesting to watch at times.  And, unless she's destined to be offed next week, more Evil Dottie too.  I just hope we get that epic Peggy vs. Dottie battle in the finale.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

While not as good as the previous two episodes, this was still a good one and very tense.  The scene in the theater reminded me of something I just saw in a movie.  Was sorry to see Dooley go as the SSR crew has really been improving the past few weeks.  I can't wait for that Russian guy to get his.  Howard definitely has a lot to answer for.  You can see how that influenced Tony.

Edited by benteen

Hailey Atwel is just so damn GOOD! The banter with Jarvis was hilarious, and showed her excellent comedic timing, but then she turned on the drama hard core. That scene where she said how she wanted to keep the blood so she could protect Steve, like she wasn't able to before? Tears! The way she was trying not to cry just made it worse. Peggy and Steve are just the best. They're so tragic and wonderful. 

The the scene where Dooley was about to make his jump? More tears. So much great acting in that scene. Peggy looked like she was trying to stay calm, but failing miserably, it was such a great scene. I loved that he made sure that it was PEGGY who was going to catch the guy that did it. He knew that she would be the one to find him, she`s the best agent they've got! 

When Howard shows up, the SRR crew (including Peggy) are gonna be pissed

• Love 4

After spotting Ivchenko sending Morse, why didn't she show the message to the others to convince them?  Just seeing the wording might have been enough to make them suspicious of him.  They could then have simply shown it to Ivchenko, and watched his reaction when he realized his communication was compromised.

BTW, when copying (receiving) Morse, you never, ever, write down the character elements (dits and dahs) themselves.  You write down the actual character those elements represent. IOW, you never write ".--. . --. --. -.--", you write "PEGGY".

Wow, that was INTENSE.  I am going to miss this show so much.  We really MUST have a second season, during which Peggy is putting together SHIELD.

Loved Peggy's banter with Jarvis. Loved him bucking her up at the end.  And the scenes with the Evil Doctor and Dooley, not to mention Dottie, gave me chills.  That staircase descent was insane.

So, we finally get one show (hopefully, not ONLY one show) where everyone is on the same page, and working together - and judging from the trailers

, it looks as if those who longed for a Peggy-Dottie showdown may get it. 

I want MORE!  There are so many rich stories, just waiting to be told!

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 1

I spent this entire episode telling my husband they're going to kill Dooley and blow up the SSR office and bring us back into continuity with the one-shot. It isn't quite what happened, but it was close. I was expecting Dooley to get shot by Dottie the sniper, so his actual exit was much more impressive. 

Sousa did better in his fight with Dottie than I thought he would. I was starting to fear for his life, too. 

Hayley Atwell sold that scene explaining what the vial was. That was beautifully done. I liked that Sousa, who caught Peggy going through the Project Rebirth files earlier in the season, was the one who seemed to really get why the vial of Steve's blood was so important to Peggy. After that, I hope he feels even worse for implying Peggy was Howard Stark's floozy during the interrogation.

Stealinghome, the day Marvel decides to somehow transport this Peggy to the present day, I will pay to watch it over and over.

• Love 3

I know this is vey tiny amongst the very real awesome, but:

Hey, TV! Stop with the eye horror and eye-gouging! Or at least co-ordinate so there isn't like a month-long fender-bender with eye-gouging a factor in a good number of shows.   Last week  with Gotham and the dentist here and now here again? Geez!  (PS- Thanks Foley dept. for the amputation noises.) I get that some shows need to up stakes and show real potential harm to characters, but it feels very Sweeps Month-y. I am sure there are shows I don't watch that have had worse, but it feels like too many instances in a relatively short period.

Shea Whigham? I will be following your projects from here out, sir!

Almost forgot: I thought that if Souza was going to be revealed as not-war-injured, his fight with Dottie would be the time.  But yeah, as a poster up-thread said, you had one job, Daniel!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

I was cringing in the beginning. I lacked proper faith in Peggy.

I totally felt for Dooley. Particularly after his dream of being with his wife and family! RIP Chief Dooley.

It totally leaves Peggy in charge for now. And leaves the door for next season to start with a new chief from outside. (Like the various directors on NCIS, Montgomery followed by Gates on Castle, etc.) And maybe a new boarding house too! (Haven't read any spoilers.)

I agree Dottie had better hair in this episode. 

WTF was the point of creating the Monsters-on-Maple-Street in the theater?

So Item 17 infects people with Rage? And if it kills everyone after a brief burst of violence as it seems to have done since there wasn't one crazed person still alive in that theater, what would be the point of it? There are way more effective ways of killing large groups of people than some aerosolized liquid that sends them into a five minute killing fit before they die.

I loved Peggy keeping calm and just shooting down everyone during her interrogation. It was also nice to see the truth of her words registering with the guys. I did think it was stupid of them to ask her why they should believe her about the doctor when she said whatever was going down was happening in 19 minutes. I hardly think Peggy would lie about something that would be proven true or false in twenty minutes' time. What would be the harm in suggesting the doctor do something that would keep him occupied and under the watch of several agents?

Edited by KAOS Agent

If you put item 17 into bomb form it would be pretty much the most effective weapon ever. No risk to soldiers as the enemy tears themselves apart. And if someone by chance escapes, they will spread the tale of Americans inducing incurable madness in Russian soldiers. That's a pretty big Boogeyman. Heck, you could put it in anything, make it into gift perfumes to wives of important leaders. Figure out how to put it in cigars and hand them out like candy. Even a noncombatant is dangerous if they're attacking with absolutely no regard for their own life. 

Good grief, Howard. Some ideas you just shouldn't try out. Of course, we'll probably find out he was trying to make a happy gas so they just dissolved into the giggles for a few hours. The heat suit makes no sense. Why would you set it to warm up faster if someone's trying to take it off? And make the clasps so difficult to open? He needs the old timey version of a human-computer interactions person to work on his user interfaces, cause they suckkkk.

The respect the SSR had for Chief Dooley overrode their common sense about the doctor. Thompson was visibly uncomfortable with how much free reign the doctor had, but Dooley shut him down and he obeyed. I can totally see Peggy being a major advocate for compartmentalization once she forms SHIELD, one man shouldn't have the power to take down an entire government organization. He did go out like a BAMF though (I worry for everyone downstairs of the SSR though, that explosion looked pretty major).

I love how the phone lady had her gun at the ready when talking to D'Arcy. And how their jaws all dropped when he said "written confession". 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 5

You beat me to the props for the switchboard operator and her gun--loved that!!

What everyone has already said about this episode and this show. I thought that the chief was doomed as soon as we saw him under the doctor's control, but I got sucker-punched by that dream of his wife...so so sad.

Loved the support Peggy eventually got from both Sousa and Thompson after she busted all their asses on how they perceived her from the start. That scene was really well played by all four of them.

• Love 2

Tonight's ep made me so angry -- how can anything with this much heart and depth be a filler, merely padding the time until Agents of SHIELD comes back on. One more ep and then I'm back to yelling at stupid.

The commercial for aos that aired was all of a sudden saying 'you like shows about strong women? Look at all the women on our show?' It's like they just realized people might be watching this show who have zero interest in watching theirs!

But they still ended with Skye so I'm not sold.

She was very clinical--reporting and factual instead of accusatory or emotional--and that made what she said so much better, made it hit home for them.

Yes, I loves that she just laid it out and it all just true and she didn't pull any logical punches. Edited by Shanna
  • Love 2

Whoa, I didn't expect Dooley to actually die.  That was painful to watch, especially after the scenes of reconciling with his family that will now never happen ...

I was surprised that they offed Dooley. Though if nothing else I think this show adds to the Marvel CU because I do feel more invested in all of it now.

Jarvis was adorable. I think his plan was to get Peggy out and then Peggy and him could prove that she wasn't a traitor... but Dooley took that option away. He was so cute in his concern for her.  I want my own Jarvis! I was a little surprised that they let Thompson and or Souza interrogate Peggy. It would seem they may not be objective and if she was actually a traitor it would seem she might be unmoved by any "relationship" they had but I suppose it was good for the show.

I like the way that you can see how Shield might have been formed as the SSR was totally unprepared for something like what they are dealing with, with sort of more supernatural aspects. 

Got to say, I don't think Souza should be out in the field. He can't handle it. Sorry.

Got to say, I don't think Souza should be out in the field. He can't handle it. Sorry.

Other than not doing his one job (thanks up-thread posters, I will now have that in my head all day), he actually handled himself pretty well. Heck, he's not the one who died. A little more practice and he could become a master of crutch-fu.

Super excited for next week, but why does it have to come on immediately after the Parks and Rec finale? I'll likely be a blubbering mess already. Going to have to pull out the old TiVo and see if it works enough to pause Agent Carter for a few minutes when it comes on.

• Love 1