Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: First a Verdict, Then a Lawyer

maraleia
  • Start Topic

This episode was filmed in November, 2 months after the divorce.  What a bunch of actors.  Can't they get SAG health insurance?

1. Thanksgiving decor through the house (Robyn's?).

2:47 - Family outside of movie theatre.  November 2014 "Now Playing" movie posters in background.  They most likely saw (based on the fact that they had the older children and all the Hunger Games posters in the background) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, which was released on 11/20/14.

10:33 - Christine's house -- Thanksgiving decor in Kitchen; red Christmas poinsettia by fireplace (starting to bring out Christmas decor?)

25:06 - Coffee shop --- It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....  Kody and Robyn marry 12/11.

HEIszVc.png

Meri's attorney scenes were definitely filmed recently.  There is no longer any holiday decor in her home.

• Love 9

So I wonder when TLC found out about the divorce and marriage? If they were filming two scripted anthropology episodes in late November, they must not have known what the Browns were up to, because the real life script is definitely more interesting than the crap we just watched. The Meri and Robyn Behind the Scenes episodes are also odd episodes for a regular season. If they were planned shows, it would have made more sense to make each episode about two wives instead of one. Were these last minute substitution shows, added as redemption shows for Meri and Robyn after TLC found out about the divorce/marriage? If TLC didn't know about the d/m, what were the last few shows supposed to be about? Looks like they have been scrambling the last few weeks filming additional scenes. Now I'll have to be on the look-out for seasonal tells in the last two eppies.

• Love 1

I realize they have 17 kids and I only have 4 but these people act like no child ever lied before. My kids are exceptional in lots of ways but I doubt my (then) 9 year old is the only one who tried to blame her baby sister for writing the elders name on my freshly painted wall. 'Course she was easily found out since her sister was about 18 months old. LOL if they think their kids never lied, they are just to stupid to realize it.

In the end, I don't think K cared about the fight at all. I think 1. he wanted the anthropologist "think" he did Dad things, 2. He was embarrassed about the security guard, and 3. he was upset because his son betrayed "Man Code" I just hummed the song from "Book of Mormon" about the kid going to he'll for lying about eating the maple donut.

And there is no way K would let his daughter wrestle. They can't hold hands but he is gonna let a teenage sperm donar touch her all over, toss her on her back, climb up on her and pin her to the mat? Yeah right.

Per the closed captioning, C told K to "Go to Hell." I don't think C is being to whiney, I think she is really raw trying to reconcile her religion with being married to an uncaring asshat. He is either really good at pushing her buttons for fun and profit or he is just oblivious and really lucky. R knows that by joining in, C is gonna get wound up even tighter.

Finally, am I the only one who notice the kid didn't really have anything in his room. Nothing on the alls. It looked like a cell rather than a kids room.

I realize they have 17 kids and I only have 4 but these people act like no child ever lied before. My kids are exceptional in lots of ways but I doubt my (then) 9 year old is the only one who tried to blame her baby sister for writing the elders name on my freshly painted wall. 'Course she was easily found out since her sister was about 18 months old. LOL if they think their kids never lied, they are just to stupid to realize it.

In the end, I don't think K cared about the fight at all. I think 1. he wanted the anthropologist "think" he did Dad things, 2. He was embarrassed about the security guard, and 3. he was upset because his son betrayed "Man Code" I just hummed the song from "Book of Mormon" about the kid going to he'll for lying about eating the maple donut.

And there is no way K would let his daughter wrestle. They can't hold hands but he is gonna let a teenage sperm donar touch her all over, toss her on her back, climb up on her and pin her to the mat? Yeah right.

Per the closed captioning, C told K to "Go to Hell." I don't think C is being to whiney, I think she is really raw trying to reconcile her religion with being married to an uncaring asshat. He is either really good at pushing her buttons for fun and profit or he is just oblivious and really lucky. R knows that by joining in, C is gonna get wound up even tighter.

Finally, am I the only one who notice the kid didn't really have anything in his room. Nothing on the alls. It looked like a cell rather than a kids room.

• Love 5

I found it kind of sad when Kody was trying to justify why he doesn't spend much time with some of the kids and he said something to the effect of, "Some of them aren't touchy-feely. They don't like cuddling." Is holding a kid in his lap the only way he connects with these kids? If your kid doesn't like to snuggle, then you find what they like to do and spend time with them doing that. With that amount of kids, it would be difficult to try to spend one-on-one time with each of them, even once a month, but it seems like he's given up on even trying.

• Love 6

2:47 - Family outside of movie theatre.  November 2014 "Now Playing" movie posters in background.  They most likely saw (based on the fact that they had the older children and all the Hunger Games posters in the background) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, which was released on 11/20/14.

Janelle tweeted that the movie was Big Hero 6. I certainly hope they didn't take little kids to Hunger Games!

Janelle tweeted that the movie was Big Hero 6. I certainly hope they didn't take little kids to Hunger Games!

Release date in November. Almost 2 months post-divorce too.

Can't these actors/actresses qualify for SAG health insurance because there is nothing real in these episodes.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

I found it kind of sad when Kody was trying to justify why he doesn't spend much time with some of the kids and he said something to the effect of, "Some of them aren't touchy-feely. They don't like cuddling." Is holding a kid in his lap the only way he connects with these kids? If your kid doesn't like to snuggle, then you find what they like to do and spend time with them doing that. With that amount of kids, it would be difficult to try to spend one-on-one time with each of them, even once a month, but it seems like he's given up on even trying.

This is an interesting observation. One scene that stood out from me from Robin's behind the scenes episode was when Kody offered Dayton $20 for a hug on this birthday. I think Kody likes these outwardly demonstrations of affection because - to him - they are visible evidence that he is a good parent and that his children like him. 

• Love 2

Meri continues to promote the show. She doesn't seem broken up about it: https://twitter.com/MeriBrown1/status/567417121085198337

Of course she does. Meri knows what side her bread is buttered on. She and the othes will leave this gravy train, oops, show, kicking and screaming. 

The sooner the better, IMO. I deleted the episode about her (as well as the one for Sobbyn) without even watching it. Like someone else said above, I'm DONE with this shitstorm.

• Love 3

Closed captioning is wrong sometimes.

I used to work in closed captioning and can emphatically confirm this. It brings back memories of twelve people gathered around a monitor trying to make sense of incomprehensible mumbling because the rule in our office was that every scrap of audio had to be captioned. So you make up something reasonable and then a week after your work has been shipped out you wake up at 2:00 AM and realize what they actually said. Those audio errors are an occupational hazard, and unless the captioner was from Utah I imagine "go to hell" made more sense than "my hell".

• Love 5

Release date in November. Almost 2 months post-divorce too.

Can't these actors/actresses qualify for SAG health insurance because there is nothing real in these episodes.

Rest assured that, if it was found that SW and other reality shows qualify under SAG, TLC would cancel most of them immediately because their cost to produce the shows would skyrocket, since they would have to pay SAG rates.

(It's known that TLC generally pays one lump sum per season to the family group - my understanding is that SAG would force TLC to pay each person, from Truely all the way up to Christine's mom, a separate paycheck, along with having to pay the "extras" - ie those people such as the dress designer, Logan's roommates, and so on.  One of the fathers of Logan's roommates tweeted angrily last year that neither his daughter nor her boyfriend received any financial remuneration from their appearance on the show a year or so ago.)

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 2

So at the time they were filming this (going to movies, etc.) there actually was no legal wife.  

And yeah, my daughter actually belongs to SAG but can't get their insurance because she doesn't work enough.

• Love 2

Not to mention all the set teachers TLC would have to hire plus the restrictions on work hours for the younger children, etc.  TLC would move on to new territory if their "reality" stars could join SAG.

• Love 3

A random thought: could Kobyn be less attracted to Christine since she had all or most of the girls while Janelle had boys? He seems to have a decent relationship with Janelle.

Hated the way Janelle and Kody chewed their son out on national TV.

My first reaction was, boy they didn't give him much of a punishment for lying - but then I realized their punishment (by broadcasting it on tv) was way worse than the crime. I felt sorry for him then.

• Love 1

Closed captioning is wrong sometimes. I thought she said, "Oh my hell!" or "My hell!", which is apparently a common expression in their culture.

I am deaf and have a cousin who owns her own CC company. Anyway, shows like this are now submitted to CC companies with scripts. Only during live CC's you may get questionable captions, LOL.

She said what the captions said which really made me happy. :-)

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 4

Two .  Also, did we ever find out "who's the love wiiiife . . . who's the sex wiiiife?"

You are genius. Thanks for the laugh. I had 3 weeks (the 2 weeks of waiting for the episode, then another week to catch part 2) of hearing that deep, monotone voice annoyingly say, "who's the love wiiiiife, who's the sex wiiiife?" while showing Kody and Robyn leading the pack with her hair bouncing like she uses Pert. Then we didn't find out!  Dr. Pisser.

• Love 4

Meri's attorney scenes were definitely filmed recently.  There is no longer any holiday decor in her home.

Also remember they've been doing some damage control. Proof being the "Meri" clip show just filmed on February 2. 3 days after the divorce/marriage news broke.

• Love 1

I get the idea that Mariah likes the idea of doing certain things but would not actually pull it off. No way will Mariah be happy being a third or fifth wife.

I totally agree. She also strikes me as the Brown kid most likely to expect things to come to her because she wants it that way. PA schooling will include a great big wallop of pre-med classes that I predict will kick Mariah's ass (looking at YOU, biochem).

• Love 5

It just showed her sitting with lawyer and telling him she is wanting to discuss a legal divorce from Kody.

There was also a snippet of Meri telling a seated Robyn & Kody & their "shocked" reaction. it would have been priceless had it shown Meri leaving & those two

jumping in glee. I do wonder if Meri will still live there after the divorce and, if not, what will her house be used for?

Rest assured that, if it was found that SW and other reality shows qualify under SAG, TLC would cancel most of them immediately because their cost to produce the shows would skyrocket, since they would have to pay SAG rates.

(It's known that TLC generally pays one lump sum per season to the family group - my understanding is that SAG would force TLC to pay each person, from Truely all the way up to Christine's mom, a separate paycheck, along with having to pay the "extras" - ie those people such as the dress designer, Logan's roommates, and so on.  One of the fathers of Logan's roommates tweeted angrily last year that neither his daughter nor her boyfriend received any financial remuneration from their appearance on the show a year or so ago.)

hmmm...I'll bet the father signed a release relinquishing payment & he either can't recall or didn't know what it was.

This is an interesting observation. One scene that stood out from me from Robin's behind the scenes episode was when Kody offered Dayton $20 for a hug on this birthday. I think Kody likes these outwardly demonstrations of affection because - to him - they are visible evidence that he is a good parent and that his children like him. 

IMO Kody should offer them $20 to recognize him as their father instead of their sperm bank.

I totally agree. She also strikes me as the Brown kid most likely to expect things to come to her because she wants it that way. PA schooling will include a great big wallop of pre-med classes that I predict will kick Mariah's ass (looking at YOU, biochem).

Well-said! Considering how big Mariah got, that part of her is an easy target.

• Love 1

This show has to be winding down I would think. If this divorce/remarriage was in any way an attempt to increase viewers, I don't  think that will happen.

Not much to say about this episode, other than:

When the adults were discussing the issue with Janelle's son lying, Christine's response seemed so dramatic to me. She went on about how surprised she was and didn't know if she could ever trust anything he said. WHAT? He is a kid and was reprimanded with the cameras rolling. I don't condone lying, but give me a break. Christine does tend to have dramatic responses, so maybe this is not that surprising,

Christine has beautiful hair and has really lost weight and looks great. I hope her mother's presence in the home will be a positive influence for her.

Janelle still comes across to me as the most level headed one of the group. That being said, it is hard to understand why she stays.

For a "happy family", there is a lot of crying going on. Meri and Robyn cry constantly.

That's all....

Here's my 2 ¢ about Janelle: she never was the wifey type. She tried it, didn't like it, but kids came along so fast that she was stuck. She seems to be the only

wife who really enjoys working & would go nuts being at home. Plus she's well aware she has no place to go with 6 kids.

• Love 3

As this unfolds, it's becoming more and more obvious to me that this was just a blatant ratings ploy. The way they're stringing it along, the "leak," the tweets to tune in for the explanation that never comes...

They were scraping for content and if Honey BB hadn't imploded so suddenly, I suspect TLC would have been looking twice at whether to continue this festival of the mundane and annoying. They could even have been hinting at the next step toward cancellation...four yearly Very Special Where Are They Now bullshitathons.

I suspect Kody would do anything...including live on-camera neutering...to keep the TLC money coming in.

• Love 10

I sure thought Christine said, "Go to hell, Kody," too, which kinda floored me in a good way! But somebody on another board said it was, "Good Hell, Kody," as just an expression of frustration. Either way, seems kind of strong for a sister wife. But I liked it either way.

• Love 3

If Meri divorced Kody so another man's children could be covered by the family insurance, she is either a fool or saint.  Why isn't their biological father providing medical insurance for his children?  Ridiculous, the whole thing is ridiculous.

• Love 2

As this unfolds, it's becoming more and more obvious to me that this was just a blatant ratings ploy. The way they're stringing it along, the "leak," the tweets to tune in for the explanation that never comes...

They were scraping for content and if Honey BB hadn't imploded so suddenly, I suspect TLC would have been looking twice at whether to continue this festival of the mundane and annoying. They could even have been hinting at the next step toward cancellation...four yearly Very Special Where Are They Now bullshitathons.

I suspect Kody would do anything...including live on-camera neutering...to keep the TLC money coming in.

Good points!  Also.. TLC had to do *something*, *anything!* to distract the mobs (me included) from the HUMONGOUS MESS that was... and possibly still is...

Dani and Mohammed. 

ew.

• Love 3

I would watch this even if it was broadcast on Pay Per View.  I'd pay double if they shaved his head after the castration.  

• Love 5

Cause really, what's he going to do about it? DIVORCE HER?

Well, he could take away one of her planets in the afterlife or something, or refuse to pull her through the veil deal. I mean hey, these are real things to worry about lol.

• Love 4

Good Answer BlackWidow.  I was wondering the same thing!  Does this d-i-v-o-r-c-e mean that Meri and Kodouche will no longer be going to the afterlife FOREVER together??  Or if he marries Robyn, will she get to ride in the spaceship in the space that had Meri's name on it for 25 years?

Boggles my mind just thinking about it!

For TLC, it varies a bit.  Anything below 1.2 M viewers for a veteran like Sister Wives has definitely entered chopping block consideration or cost cutting measures.  I used to think 1.4 M was a a cut off, but with the average viewership dropping, I think 1.0 M to 1.2 M is the current probable range for veteran cancellation.  

• Love 1

Good Answer BlackWidow.  I was wondering the same thing!  Does this d-i-v-o-r-c-e mean that Meri and Kodouche will no longer be going to the afterlife FOREVER together??  Or if he marries Robyn, will she get to ride in the spaceship in the space that had Meri's name on it for 25 years?

Boggles my mind just thinking about it!

No. Kody and Meri are not legally married, but still spiritually married. The spiritual marriage is require for Kody to pull her through the veil onto their planet in the afterlife. She has also been 'sealed' to Kody, and if she chooses to leave this marriage and remarry, she has to be unsealed to Kody and then sealed to her next husband, who can then call her into Heaven on HIS planet. I don't think it matters who is legal or in what order they became wives on Planet Kody.

I haven't seen this show this year.  The TV that gets TLC is in the living room and my back kills me sitting on the couch so I watch in the bedroom and must have been watching Celeb Apprentice or Downton or something.  I don't know.  But it sounds like so far it was filmed during or post divorce.  Are they shitting us or what?  Great disrespect to viewers, IMO.  Now they have something scheduled to try to explain this away?  It sounds way too late to me.   I understand from the posts there were more parties and road trips, gag me with a spoon, I can't bear anymore silly birthday or grad parties or date nights on any of TLC shows, not just this one.  So I guess I'm good with not seeing TLC.  The next house I move into I probably won't even put a tv in living room.  But really, they filmed this during the divorce process where the remarriage and honeymoon was planned and gave not a clue?  Not a class act.

• Love 1

Rest assured that, if it was found that SW and other reality shows qualify under SAG, TLC would cancel most of them immediately because their cost to produce the shows would skyrocket, since they would have to pay SAG rates.

TLC would also be forced to comply with child labor laws. Currently, most reality show kids like on Sister Wives are filming far more hours than child labor laws allow for scripted television and movies. On reality television, the children are labelled as "participants" and not "actors". That's how TLC and other reality show production companies get away with exploiting the children on these shows. Jon and Kate plus 8 was the worst example, but Sister Wives isn't really all that far behind.

• Love 2

The ones I really feel sorry for are the camera people and other TLC crew on-site. Aside from the obvious of having to deal with these crazies every day, they are stuck trying to make television with people who have the collective brain power of a flea. And thats insulting to fleas. I can just hear them on the phone with the TLC powers saying 're best we are going to be able to do is crying while watching clips. We aren't allowed to ask them about religion. We aren't allowed to tell Kody he's a selfish ass. We were going to film Robyn working on the jewelry business but I had to pee and when I got back she was done. Please if you let me come home I'll take any assignment. Just don't make me invent any more stories for these crazies.' They were probably crying themselves that this train wreck got renewed.

• Love 8

Are they saying the divorce was for insurance reasons?? That doesn't make any sense if Meri is saying she started to think about divorce 5 years ago around the time Robyn joined them. She wouldn't know back then that the kids would need additional insurance coverage.

• Love 3

No matter how many different ways you slide this pie of poo, there is absolutely no logical reason for the divorce.  Lots of lies and lots of half-assed justifications but it boils down to the Power Of Sobbin.  Period.

• Love 9

It made me so mad when Robyn was asked why Solomon got more attention, and Robyn's answer was basically the kids fault... I would feel the same way if I were any kid other than Robyn's... If Kody out of nowhere wanted to spend time with me because of cameras I'd reject it too.

I also loved how Antoinette "found" a copy of the book. I almost wonder if that was a way to bring up issues from the book to lead up to the divorce, because even though they have touched on it, it's only been vaguely referenced up until now. Or maybe they felt like it would boost sales if it was brought up.

• Love 6

No matter how many different ways you slide this pie of poo, there is absolutely no logical reason for the divorce.  Lots of lies and lots of half-assed justifications but it boils down to the Power Of Sobbin.  Period.

My current theory is that Robyn threatened to shut down the baby-making factory and all related activities unless she made first string, so to speak. Kody wants more mirror images of himself around, at least until they turn into actual individuals, and trying to find Ms. Chucklefuck #5 would be too much work.

There are times when I wonder if Meri's fertility problem wasn't how Mr.Chucklefuck browbeat her into polygamy...because there's nothing godlier than blackmailing your infertile wife so you can screw someone new.

• Love 11

TLC would also be forced to comply with child labor laws. Currently, most reality show kids like on Sister Wives are filming far more hours than child labor laws allow for scripted television and movies. On reality television, the children are labelled as "participants" and not "actors". That's how TLC and other reality show production companies get away with exploiting the children on these shows. Jon and Kate plus 8 was the worst example, but Sister Wives isn't really all that far behind.

Good point! Maybe the Browns are being paid a much lower fee, if any, for their kids due to that labeling. Well, that probably accounts for their difficult time in

financing the Vegas homes.Just sayin'....

• Love 1

There are times when I wonder if Meri's fertility problem wasn't how Mr.Chucklefuck browbeat her into polygamy...because there's nothing godlier than blackmailing your infertile wife so you can screw someone new.

I thought I heard on the early episodes that it was Meri's idea to be polygamous. She was raised in it, seemed to have no objections to it & a strong proponent of it.

She introduced Janelle & Robyn to Kody, not sure about Christine. So it's puzzling to me all Meri's jealousy bouts. Clearly it's one of the missing puzzle pieces TLC

loves to torment viewers with. BTW, isn't booze supposed to be taboo for them, so why Meri's wet bar? To stash tissues for her crying jags, lol.

• Love 1