Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Mijo

• Start Topic

So good! 

Love Tuco's sane cohort.  "For when you find out you're in the game."

Saul has always been such a good lawyer, and a good man with his clients.  He could have left those little shits, but he risked his life and fought for them.  That's the Saul I thought we'd be seeing.

Beautifully shot. 

I still don't get the electromagnetic albatross around Saul's neck.  Hopefully there is a payoff in that somewhere.

Tuco doesn't look like he's hitting the meth yet.  Much saner.

• Love 6

If I didn't already know that this was from the people who brought us Breaking Bad, the first part tonight would've made me guess it was them.  That whole sequence from inside Tuco's house until they got to the desert had the feel of a scene that could have easily been lifted from the other show. 

Walter eventually turned into a pretty good song and dance man but Saul takes it to another level.  I also loved the montage. 

I think the biggest hurdle I'll have with this show is the sense of predictibility.  Since we have seen what Saul became (instead of just told what he became) there's no sense of dread that he could lose his life.  It's also easy to suspect that he will eventually take up the offer of stealing which will lead him into a more criminal lawyering. 

It's still a good show but I don't think they can rely on suspense the way the original did.  Or at least not yet, anyway.  Not until the supporting characters are more thoroughly developed.

Just read Michelle MacLaren directed this.  I should have guessed.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Another character that's deeply involved though could bring the unknown.  We know about Saul, but this will probably be an ensemble show, with other characters to care about as well.  Let's just hope they pick good ones.

• Love 2

While BB had a lot of suspense, we pretty much knew Walter White was not going to be killed until the final episode. Obviously, we know Saul can't die, because he was alive years later, but if WW was killed the show would end.

If they can develop some supporting characters that the audience cares about that could provide opportunity for suspense. I didn't care much about the skateboarders, but I felt suspense over their "sentence" from Tuco.

• Love 10

I thought this was a vast improvement over the pilot.  It did remind me of Breaking Bad more (I could really tell it was a Michelle MacLaren directed episode), which is a bit of a gamble, but it worked for me.  The suspense talk is interesting, because I have to admit, even though I know Saul/Jimmy is safe, all of his scenes with Tuco were still intense for me.  I was interested in how he was able to worm is way out of it.  But I did think what really worked was the stuff with the skater bros.  I didn't know what their fates where, and even though I wasn't huge fans of them, I knew them dying would probably haunt Jimmy, so I actually bought into the stakes and his desperation.  I thought the "courtroom scene" in the desert was the highlight.  Bob Odenkirk and Raymond Cruz were both on fire in that moment, and it was well directed.

Unlike least week, I also am interested in one of the new characters now.  Really digging Tuco's cohort, who IMDB is calling Nacho. I'm not quite sure what his position is: he sounded like answers to Tuco, but he also seems to have more pull with him then the rest. And, judging from the final scene, he is willing to even work outside of Tuco.  Curious to see where this is going.  It's great seeing Michael Mando in this: loved him as Vic (the Dick!) on Orphan Black, and this was a way more competent character then that guy. Reminded me a bit more of Mando's Vaas, from the Far Cry 3 game.  But, I like that he's cooler and calculating, compared to Tuco being, well, Tuco.

Enjoying the Mike cameos, although I hope they have something bigger instore for him soon.  But, Jonathan Banks is always a delight.

Still not sure what to make of the Chuck character though.  What his deal with no cellphones?  It sounded like it was going to make him sick or something.  And that blanket too?  This is still the only thing I'm not wild about.

The montages were also totally out of the Breaking Bad playbook, which can be both a good and bad thing.

I'm much more optimistic now.  Lets hope they keep it up.

• Love 3

i don't think we should become numb to the humanity that VG tries to poke and prod to tell his story. Those skateboarders are lives..yes expendable lives on TV but if you are trying to believe what you are seeing then you are being dragged into the desert and 2 kids are going to die a horrific death by a psycho. And you might die too. Or maybe get a finger clipped off. Or maybe you get to watch. Or maybe they'll make you do it. Maybe they'll come back and kill your family. And make you watch.

Saul is trying make a living and yeah eventually he crosses the line for good but for now he's just small time....with a conscience....but with some stones. Of course I knew Tuco didn't kill Saul there but those kids were up for grabs. It was making me squirm. And I loved all the dialogue....everyone was in character. Tuco is definitely an early version of himself. His grandmother is obsessed with salsa stains. And well we know that grandfather is walking around somewhere.....

• Love 9

Good episode.  Enjoyed the stuff with Sal and Tuco (who was great fun as always) and is was suspenseful though I thought the sequenced dragged a little bit.  The show is a little slow for me but I like it and am definitely looking forward to more.

Were both skater boiz in Sauls car?

Yes -- a nurse was wheeling one into the Urgent Care (we saw his unnaturally hanging foot, ugh!) as Saul was running out with another wheelchair to load the second one in.

• Love 1

So in Walter White's first misadventure in the desert in the earliest episodes of Breaking Bad, he ends up murdering two criminal shitbirds in order to save his own skin. Here, in Jimmy's first trip into the wild, he risks his own life to save two criminal shitbirds from being murdered. I was skeptical of the behind-the-scenes chatter that said this series was sort of going to be Breaking Good, the story of a degenerate discovering some unrealized reservoir of decency. But now the idea is starting to intrigue me. . . .

I still wonder, though, whether it's a notion that can take us all the way to the Saul we knew from Breaking Bad, who seemed pretty unrepentantly sleazy. Will Better Call Saul be the story of a man who finds something decent within himself only to have it collapse back into disrepute? Or can it somehow reframe the Saul we already know, such that we will eventually come to see his Breaking Bad incarnation as fundamentally decent in a way we never did before?

• Love 18

Hey there!

I never really watched Breaking bad... Which makes me unusual here (and I'm not going to complain about spoilers since what would be the point)

I liked episode one but this one had me laughing out loud particularly in the desert, the squirming on cue by the redheads was hilarious,

And I was just going to get mad at the blatant ripoff in the montage, complete with Vivaldi, from "all that jazz" ( jazz hands, it's snowfime folks, coffee) when he said "it's from a movie!" Nd my faith was restored.

After so much Downton Abbey blatant ripping off. Upstairs downstairs it's great to know that some writers have consciences!

And time appropriate too since "All that Jazz" came out in 1981. With bob fosse and a very beautiful young Jessica Lange. ETA... Nope... It's 20 years later. I think the bad suits had me convinced it was the 80s but if course cell phones,

I too didnt get the guy being afraid of electricity but liked hat it wasn't expalined.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 3

So in Walter White's first misadventure in the desert in the earliest episodes of Breaking Bad, he ends up murdering two criminal shitbirds in order to save his own skin. Here, in Jimmy's first trip into the wild, he risks his own life to save two criminal shitbirds from being murdered. I was skeptical of the behind-the-scenes chatter that said this series was sort of going to be Breaking Good, the story of a degenerate discovering some unrealized reservoir of decency. But now the idea is starting to intrigue me. . . .

I still wonder, though, whether it's a notion that can take us all the way to the Saul we knew from Breaking Bad, who seemed pretty unrepentantly sleazy. Will Better Call Saul be the story of a man who finds something decent within himself only to have it collapse back into disrepute? Or can it somehow reframe the Saul we already know, such that we will eventually come to see his Breaking Bad incarnation as fundamentally decent in a way we never did before?

I could see something like that. It's worth remembering that Saul appeared less than just about any supporting character on Breaking Bad. It was rare for him have more than a couple scenes in an episode (usually only had one), so that leaves a lot of room for them to add some layers to the time period we've already seen him in. If the show's a hit, I could potentially see them doing a final season that runs in direct parallel to the events of Breaking Bad. Maybe.

• Love 1

During Breaking Bad, Saul is at one point advising Walt to have Jesse whacked, so he's got to break bad before he breaks good. I'm wondering how Mike is going to play into this whole thing. Is he really just a parking attendant? We know he is a former Cop... is this before he became a bad ass enforcer/PI/cleaner? Or is this parking attendant bit a ruse as part of some operation?

I liked this episode much better than the pilot!  I don't speak Spanish, so I'm curious, was Tuco's granny saying my God, and Grandson while she made her way up the stairs?  Poor Tuco, that is too much salsa.  Going to totally try cleaning with club soda :D  I buy too much seltzer so this is a change I can make if it helps me with cleaning!

I thought for sure the cell phone was gonna get destroyed by the lawn mower the morning after.  I liked that the sound effect took me there.

I really like Nacho.  What a great character.  I hope we get to learn of his background.   He is unusually wise for his station in life, much like Saul.  

The insane brother arc must have one heck of a payoff down the road to justify the dreck to which we've been treated thus far.

• Love 1

My DVR hiccupped at the commercial break after he bribed the clerk with the stuffed animal; when the commercials are over, the playback jumps backward 30 minutes to the scene in the desert.   No matter how many times I retry, it jumps back to the desert.   Now I have to wait until AMC runs it again.

Better. Not great.

Breaking Bad was a masterpiece. This--not so much.

Michael Mando was great in Orphan Black, so it would be nice to see him in a bigger role--if that's what's happening here.

Every scene with Raymond Cruz is worth watching.

Since Jimmy is supposed to be 12 years younger than he was as Saul at the end of Breaking Bad, I'm thinking Chuck might be his father instead of older brother. Or is it already established elsewhere online that he is the brother?

I'll watch one more.

My DVR hiccupped at the commercial break after he bribed the clerk with the stuffed animal; when the commercials are over, the playback jumps backward 30 minutes to the scene in the desert.   No matter how many times I retry, it jumps back to the desert.   Now I have to wait until AMC runs it again.

Not much happened. It's mostly a montage of Jimmy/Saul trying to get low-lifes off with less time--similar to the Breaking Bad episode, "The Fly," but without Bryan Cranston. At the end Michael Mando's character tries to persuade Jimmy to help him steal from the rich Kettles, but Jimmy says he's a lawyer, not a criminal, and we all say: yet. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

During Breaking Bad, Saul is at one point advising Walt to have Jesse whacked, so he's got to break bad before he breaks good. I'm wondering how Mike is going to play into this whole thing. Is he really just a parking attendant? We know he is a former Cop... is this before he became a bad ass enforcer/PI/cleaner? Or is this parking attendant bit a ruse as part of some operation?

It will be interesting to see how the Mike character develops. On BB, it always seemed odd to me that Gustavo Fring's right hand man and enforcer moonlighted doing side jobs as a PI for Saul.

If Saul "discovered" him, working as a parking attendant and introduced him to his cartel connections, it would make much more sense that Mike continued to to jobs for him out of loyalty.

Edited by Bryce Lynch

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the pilot.  I thought it had a lot better pacing and kept my interest.  

I did like how Saul didn't just save himself and jump in his car and drive away.  I liked that he went back and negotiated with a complete crazy person to save the lives of the two idiots he put in the scam in the first place.  Of course as an audience we knew it would turn out okay for Saul since we know he lives and keeps all his fingers.  I also liked that they made a point of Saul paying the kids hospital bill.  I kind of expected Saul to just drop the kids off and run.  You could say he did it because he felt bad for the kids and felt guilty, but it also might be to keep the kids quiet.  If those kids start telling their story to the ER docs....Saul is in a boatload of trouble.  

Until the show shows me why I should care about the whackadooble brother....I just get bored in his scenes.  

• Love 3

Even on BB, Saul fought hard for his clients and seemed to only turn on them reluctantly when his own life was threatened.

He refused "Mr. Mahew's" bribe to keep Badger from cooperating with the DEA and only changed his tune when Walt and Jesse threatened to kill him in the desert.

He risked his life to bring Walt and Jesse together at the laser tag place and refused to give Mike Jesse's new address and then fed him a fake one.

He also went to see Jesse at the PD to get info for Walt on where Fring would be vulnerable and he made the call to the DEA warning that there was a hit out on Hank.

So I don't think the Saul from BB was that much different than the Jimmy negotiating for the skateboarders lives in the desert.

Funny that Jimmy discovered the beauty of the plea bargain with Tuco in the desert and that he had a gift for it.

When you think about it, in his closing argument in the skull sex trial, he was really trying to work out a sort of plea deal with the jury.

The plea bargains were also far more profitable as he could make multiple $700 fees per day, rather than spending weeks to make one fee on a trial.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 11

Enjoyed the Bob Fosse shout-out. I'm intrigued that a guy like Jimmy would have ever heard of the movie, never mind mimicking it.

Glad the pace picked up a bit. I'm insanely in love with the NM desert and skies and they are a treat for a winter-bound TV viewer.

I assume Chuck is a brother or uncle and is currently suffering paranoid delusions (the electromagnetic fields). At first I thought he and Jimmy were so broke they couldn't pay the electric bill, but I guess Chuck doesn't want any electricity in the house. Apparently there's a little twist that Jimmy has been trying mightily and without success to get justice and income for Chuck from the law practice, and Jimmy learns that Chuck has been talking to the senior partner all along and naively undermining Jimmy's efforts. Maybe Jimmy decides he can't count on any resolution there, and this pushes him further into desperation for income. We do see him go back to the courthouse and pile on more clients as a public defender. Loved the montage, in part because it shows Jimmy finding some momentum again.

Even though we know that Jimmy survives the shenanigans he gets in to, I still felt the tension of impending violence from Tuco and company.

It appears that the treasurer's embezzlement is going to be the hook that brings Jimmy together with Tuco and his gang.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

Chuck clearly thinks he suffers from sensitivity to EM fields. Reminds me of a character on "Northern Exposure" who was a very, successful man, who believed he had developed multiple chemical sensitivity and turned into a recluse.

IIRC the writers on that show left it ambiguous as to whether he had a real affliction or was just nuts. The consensus was that he was nuts, but I believe one time he correctly "sensed" some sort of chemical spill hundreds of miles away.

I wonder if the BCS writers will do anything like that with Chuck.

• Love 3

I'm actually quite intrigued by the brother's story. It shows Jimmy's humanity and that he is basically a good egg. It also shows (part of) why Jimmy is in this predicament, which also intrigues me. I wonder why is as broke as he is. Can't be as simple as not being able to get clients, right?

On the other hand I hope (but doubt) we have seen the last of those twins. I have the feeling they will recur, like Skinny Pete and Badger from BB, but I have no desire to see them. When they were trying to maneuver Tuco in the house I just wanted to punch them.

• Love 2

Second episode:  WOW!  While we know Saul made it...it was well-done enough to make me go 'Oh, Saul is gonna die!'  (Kinda like Apollo 13:  No matter how many times I see it, I catch myself thinking 'I hope they make it back!'  A sign of damned good writing/directing.)

Mike:  My guess is the 'parking attendant' job is his 'legitimate' paycheck.  Plus, with a guy who has the criminal smarts he does, would be far easier for him to have contact with his 'people' as a parking lot attendant who has to see people (criminals and otherwise) every day, exchange things from the window, etc.  Strikes me as just Mike being Smart, lovably, criminally dangerous Mike covering his own tail with a very smart 'legitimate' job.

Chuck:  I'm going with Chuck being schizophrenic or something.  I adore Michael McKean - and his dry comedy is a thing of beauty - so I can see him tearing up the joint with his talents.  (And if you need evidence of his brilliance - check out This is Spinal Tap, or any Christopher Guest movie - he was also one of the songwriters for the Mighty Wind numbers.  Srsly - guy is AWESOME!)

OK, VG - I'm officially your bitch for this show - you got me!

• Love 8

I'm getting an X Files vibe re Chuck's illness.  

The cinematography is gorgeous, the way the first scenes of the pilot were shot with the shadows in the bathroom.   You can tell the BB crew is working on BCS, although the two shows are different in tone, we get the same type of directing style and POV shots as we did on BB. 

When Tuco stuck his head out the door I yelled OMG so loud I'm sure the neighbors heard me.  So much fun to see him again. 

And I just saw Kelley Dixon's tweet that they're going to do a podcast.  I am now officially doing my happy dance. 

If Saul "discovered" him, working as a parking attendant and introduced him to his cartel connections, it would make much more sense that Mike continued to to jobs for him out of loyalty.

I'd always assumed this is the way it happened.  That Mike started working for Saul and eventually started doing side jobs for Gus before transferring his loyalty to Gus.  Maybe it's because we were introduced to Mike initially via Saul.

• Love 1

I'm actually quite intrigued by the brother's story. It shows Jimmy's humanity and that he is basically a good egg. It also shows (part of) why Jimmy is in this predicament, which also intrigues me. I wonder why is as broke as he is. Can't be as simple as not being able to get clients, right?

On the other hand I hope (but doubt) we have seen the last of those twins. I have the feeling they will recur, like Skinny Pete and Badger from BB, but I have no desire to see them. When they were trying to maneuver Tuco in the house I just wanted to punch them.

I'd love to see the skateboard twins in a scene with the the twins from, Leonel and Marco.  An axe would be involved, of course.

• Love 1

I think it can be that simple. Getting clients is hard if you are out on your own. PD work clearly doesn't pay that much and if you are at court all day you can't be chasing more lucrative clients. Also, it's not like you can get another regular job or you again wouldn't have time to even do the pD work. I know some people who have hung a shingle and only been able to do it because either they had an established client list from having previously worked at a firm or they had outside support. Generally also between law school loans, malpractice insurance and other costs, you start off way in the hole. Particularly if you go to a not so great law school, which is definitely the impression I get from jimmy. This seems to be a later in life career change trying to get his life back on track based on the slipping jimmy stuff? Not like he's a bright young thing who just graduated from an ivy.

• Love 1

I think it can be that simple. Getting clients is hard if you are out on your own. PD work clearly doesn't pay that much and if you are at court all day you can't be chasing more lucrative clients. Also, it's not like you can get another regular job or you again wouldn't have time to even do the pD work. I know some people who have hung a shingle and only been able to do it because either they had an established client list from having previously worked at a firm or they had outside support. Generally also between law school loans, malpractice insurance and other costs, you start off way in the hole. Particularly if you go to a not so great law school, which is definitely the impression I get from jimmy. This seems to be a later in life career change trying to get his life back on track based on the slipping jimmy stuff? Not like he's a bright young thing who just graduated from an ivy.

Regarding Jimmy's law school diploma, IIRC from BB it was from The University of American Samoa. :-)

• Love 3

Ahh loved it, this was much better than the first hour. And much more reminiscent of what I loved about BB! Think I am sucked in.

This seems to be a later in life career change trying to get his life back on track based on the slipping jimmy stuff? Not like he's a bright young thing who just graduated from an ivy.

It didn't dawn on me til last night that he was "Slipping Jimmy" (duh). Was he actually the one doing the slipping tho or was he recruiting people to do the same and then serving as their lawyer? He mentioned he was "not backsliding!" when his brother found the ER bill for someone ELSE'S broken legs. So was that his old racket?

Walter eventually turned into a pretty good song and dance man but Saul takes it to another level.  I also loved the montage.

Maybe Saul goes from one hairy escape to another, like Walt did.

He decides to dip his toes into the game but unforeseen circumstances ratchet up the stakes beyond his control, like it did for Walt.

Liked this more than the pilot.

I LOVED the montage of Jimmy meeting his clients, getting coffee, "Show time"ing in the bathroom, in court, and so on. That was excellent.

I thought the scenes with the grandma went on far too long. I'm not an impatient person when it comes to a slow build or ambience or whatever in films, but I didn't think it worked. Not for me.

I'm not thrilled with the scenes with Chuck either. I like Michael McKean, but his scenes aren't doing much for me. I'm sure it'll get better.

I love Nacho. I was never really thrilled with the actor's character on Orphan Black, but here he's very interesting and entertaining.

• Love 2

Tuco doesn't look like he's hitting the meth yet. Much saner.

Not *that* much saner, but true.  But those twins were lucky Jimmy was able to talk him down to just breaking one leg.  Holy crap, nobody on Breaking Bad was as batshit bananaballs crazy as Tuco.

I wonder if Jimmy is going to change his name soon.  It would be weird to call this show "Better Call Saul" if he's going to keep his real name for a while.

• Love 2
I love Nacho. I was never really thrilled with the actor's character on Orphan Black, but here he's very interesting and entertaining.

I think he works as comic relief on Orphan Black, but I was definitely impressed by his more serious turn here.

The Breaking Bad wiki points out that "Nacho" is probably short for "Ignacio" -- as in, the person Saul tries to throw under the bus in his first Breaking Bad episode, when he thinks Walt and Jesse were sent by someone named Lalo to kill him: "It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!"

• Love 8

Chuck clearly thinks he suffers from sensitivity to EM fields. Reminds me of a character on "Northern Exposure" who was a very, successful man, who believed he had developed multiple chemical sensitivity and turned into a recluse.

IIRC the writers on that show left it ambiguous as to whether he had a real affliction or was just nuts. The consensus was that he was nuts, but I believe one time he correctly "sensed" some sort of chemical spill hundreds of miles away.

I wonder if the BCS writers will do anything like that with Chuck.

I have been trying to come up with ways in which Chuck's situation can be connected to Joe and his auto wrecking yard magnet.

I loved the pilot but I love the show even more after this episode.  I think my favorite thing is going to be the little insights into Saul's behavior during Breaking Bad.  Like how scared he got when Mike threatened to break his legs.  Sure, that would scare anyone.  But not everyone plea bargained Tuco down to leg breaking in the desert, had to watch, had to rush the victims to urgent care, and then failed to sit through their date because of breadsticks.

• Love 8

Since Jimmy is supposed to be 12 years younger than he was as Saul at the end of Breaking Bad, I'm thinking Chuck might be his father instead of older brother. Or is it already established elsewhere online that he is the brother?

He's only supposed to be eight years younger, as BB's timeline stretched out a little over two years, starting in 2008.

Edited by Mean Machine
  • Love 1

It will be interesting to see how the Mike character develops. On BB, it always seemed odd to me that Gustavo Fring's right hand man and enforcer moonlighted doing side jobs as a PI for Saul.

That's an interesting thought.  I could buy Mike being a dormant bad ass who Saul nudges back into the game... but Saul did seem more afraid of Mike in BB and Mike definitely seemed to regard him as a second fiddle.  And Mike had the vibe of someone who has been in the game for years.

Mike was not a clearly defined character when he was introduced on BB, which is why his various roles seem odd.  He was initially brought in as a "cleaner" character because Bob Odenkirk was unavailable to do the job that was originally written for Saul.  The showrunners liked Banks as Mike so much they expanded his role.