Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Mijo

• Start Topic

I wonder if Jimmy is going to change his name soon.  It would be weird to call this show "Better Call Saul" if he's going to keep his real name for a while.

I think this is imminent as the foreshadowing was heavy in epi 2 with Chuck recommending a law firm name change -- as requested by the law firm partner who visited Chuck to drop off a check and leave Jimmy's matchbook that he had given to the embezzling couple (Becky?) who then gave it to the law firm partner.

• Love 1

I think this is imminent as the foreshadowing was heavy in epi 2 with Chuck recommending a law firm name change -- as requested by the law firm partner who visited Chuck to drop off a check and leave Jimmy's matchbook that he had given to the embezzling couple (Becky?) who then gave it to the law firm partner.

Ah! I hadn't made the connection that the matchbook came from the Kettleman's.  BTW, it is Betsy, not Becky.   "Becky" was Walt's neighbor on the left...or was it the right?  :-). 

And it is "alleged embezzling couple", though they do have quite a nice house and boat.  Remember, "Until proven guilty, every man, woman and child in this country is innocent!" :-)

• Love 1

Why did the "alleged embezzling couple" give the matchbook to the law firm partner?  I missed that somehow.

When Jimmy was leaving HHM, he saw the AEC (alleged embezzling couple) talking with the lawyers from HHM.  I believe that is what caused him to beat down the trash can like Tuco beating down someone who tried to punk his abuelita. 

As for why, I guess they probably decided to go with HHM and mentioned the other guy who was trying to woo them.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 2

Had some time to digest these 2 episodes . I think for me it was a fail . 

The writers are trying too hard to be funny and shocking and over the top .

Story itself ... not much there so far .

How many times we have to see Saul's ticket being rejected by Mike ? 

I think I will get the Bluray when it comes out to re-evaluate , otherwise I am out .

When Jimmy was leaving HHM, he saw the AEC (alleged embezzling couple) talking with the lawyers from HHM.  I believe that is what caused him to beat down the trash can like Tuco beating down someone who tried to punk his abuelita.

Ahhh, ok.  That was the couple he was looking down on from the balcony at HHM.  I didn't recognize them.

The Tuco in this episode -- while still being a violent criminal -- was definitely a bit more subdued, laid back and well thought out in his approach (which sounds so weird to say) than he was on Breaking Bad. 

On Breaking Bad it seemed that most of the true, bona fide bad guys were actually pretty docile and calm before doing what they needed to do.  They never really had angry, loud outbursts that culminated in brutality.  Most of the time the killers and criminals were rather calm, quiet, relaxed and at ease before committing heinous acts -- which made it even more shocking.   It was almost as if it was just another normal day -- or an afterthought -- to them.

Tuco was one exception on Breaking Bad -- he would explode in rage, and end up doing something awful.  I guess that was the meth talking.   So the Tuco we are seeing now must be the pre-tweaker Tuco -- still a bad guy, but calmer, quieter and not fully out of control yet.

• Love 1

The Tuco in this episode -- while still being a violent criminal -- was definitely a bit more subdued, laid back and well thought out in his approach (which sounds so weird to say) than he was on Breaking Bad. 

On Breaking Bad it seemed that most of the true, bona fide bad guys were actually pretty docile and calm before doing what they needed to do.  They never really had angry, loud outbursts that culminated in brutality.  Most of the time the killers and criminals were rather calm, quiet, relaxed and at ease before committing heinous acts -- which made it even more shocking.   It was almost as if it was just another normal day -- or an afterthought -- to them.

Tuco was one exception on Breaking Bad -- he would explode in rage, and end up doing something awful.  I guess that was the meth talking.   So the Tuco we are seeing now must be the pre-tweaker Tuco -- still a bad guy, but calmer, quieter and not fully out of control yet.

Definitely a calmer, pre-tweaker Tuco (though still violent and crazy).  I think when Nacho spoke up in the desert, it was supposed to be a parallel to No Doze saying "As long as you know who is boss" or something to that effect to Walt and Jesse in the junkyard.  2008 Tweaker Tuco probably would have beat the crap out of Nacho, as he did No Doze, rather than letting him go on and basically taking his advice. 

• Love 2

I also loved the montage.

I often loathe montages, they usually serve as filler when there are a few extra minutes in a script, this one showed a significant transition for Saul and was highly entertaining. I'm usually a fan of "show don't tell" but most montages often leave me wishing they'd hand-waved  whatever was shown in them with a line of two of dialogue. This however was a highlight of an excellent episode. It was really well done. Breaking Bad did excellent montages too, so I guess I shouldn't find it remarkable.

The scenes in Tuco's house and the desert were so intense that I thought the show was over when he dropped the twins off at the ER.  I was surprised when the scenes with the breadsticks came on. I thought it was the start of another episode, which didn't make any sense to me, until I looked at the time and saw that the show was only halfway through.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

Definitely a calmer, pre-tweaker Tuco (though still violent and crazy).  I think when Nacho spoke up in the desert, it was supposed to be a parallel to No Doze saying "As long as you know who is boss" or something to that effect to Walt and Jesse in the junkyard.  2008 Tweaker Tuco probably would have beat the crap out of Nacho, as he did No Doze, rather than letting him go on and basically taking his advice. 

I was thinking the same thing and was frightened on behalf of Nacho for a second there!

• Love 1

I think he works as comic relief on Orphan Black, but I was definitely impressed by his more serious turn here.

The Breaking Bad wiki points out that "Nacho" is probably short for "Ignacio" -- as in, the person Saul tries to throw under the bus in his first Breaking Bad episode, when he thinks Walt and Jesse were sent by someone named Lalo to kill him: "It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!"

Oh, nice catch! I knew that Nacho is usually short for Ignacio, but I didn't remember to make that connection. Interesting, and hopefully means we'll see more of him. And agreed, I enjoy what he does with Vic on Orphan Black, but he was completely different and really good here.

• Love 2

Nacho told Tuco in the desert they should cut Jimmy loose partly because he was, "showing respect". Then when he shows up at Jimmy's office later on, Nacho shows great respect to Jimmy. He knows the "office" in the back of the nail salon is a shithole, but he doesn't make any wisecracks about it. He has a calm civil discussion with Jimmy and, at the end, doesn't give him an ultimatum or make veiled threats. Just a business proposition and a number to call. Great respect. I like Nacho.

• Love 14

As for why, I guess they probably decided to go with HHM and mentioned the other guy who was trying to woo them.

I assumed the Kettlemans noted that the M in HHM was McGill and probably asked Hamlin about it. Hamlin got his tighty whities in a bunch and then went to Chuck hoping he'd get Jimmy to change his name. I'll even bet Hamlin was the one who came up with those cheesy corporate names Vanguard and Gibraltar.

Edited to remove apostrophe from plural. Dang.

Edited by carrps
  • Love 1

Definitely a calmer, pre-tweaker Tuco (though still violent and crazy). I think when Nacho spoke up in the desert, it was supposed to be a parallel to No Doze saying "As long as you know who is boss" or something to that effect to Walt and Jesse in the junkyard. 2008 Tweaker Tuco probably would have beat the crap out of Nacho, as he did No Doze, rather than letting him go on and basically taking his advice.

That actually wasn't Nacho who irritated Tuco with the comment about the black eyes. It was No Doze! Nice little call back to when he did the same thing in Breaking Bad and got beaten to death by Tuco. Explains why Tuco went batshit on him. I mean, if the guy can't learn to shut his mouth after FIVE YEARS. Lol. And Tuco's other henchman, the big guy, Gonzo, who was crushed to death under the junk cars while trying to hide No Doze's body, was there in the leg breaking scene too.

Edited by Auroraborealus
  • Love 6

Okay, this one I LOVED. I also thought it was over after the Tuco thing, and I was surprised that it was only halfway through. Some things I really liked:

*Point-of-view shots (from Tuco's cutting board, from inside the coffee maker, from Saul's vantage point on the ground in the desert). Nice way to tie it to BB without being too overt. Totally makes sense that Michelle MacLaren directed.

*Loved that RC decided to play Tuco pre-meth problem. Lots of anger, but still able to be reasoned with (sort of). Also loved when Jimmy started to talk to him. "An eye for an eye, you want me to BLIND them?" Like, to him, that was a totally reasonable option. Tuco is one of those characters you would never want to meet personally, under ANY circumstances, but is a thoroughly entertaining person to watch from the comfort (and safety) of your couch. ;-)

*Loved that his "desert courtroom" scene gave him some mojo. I really don't think I could've hung on too much longer with downtrodden Jimmy.

*Also loved that Jimmy was able to sway just about everyone EXCEPT Mike. Doing some character building with Mike without him having to say anything but "You need more stickers." HE'S not buying what Jimmy's selling, and he never will. :-)

*Really like the Nacho character, and I like that he was introduced through a character that BB fans already know and are invested in. Now, even with Tuco not visible, there is a tie-in and an automatic reason for us to be interested in Nacho (and great catch about his real name, Ignacio!).

*I definitely felt the suspense in the desert, even knowing that Jimmy would make it out. When he started walking away thinking the skater twins were going to die (most likely a gruesome, drawn-out death), there was real tension -- first, whether Jimmy could live with himself knowing those two died because of him, and second, whether Jimmy could talk Tuco out of killing them.

*Jimmy: "I just talked you down from a death sentence to six months probation. I'm the BEST lawyer ever."

Not super loving Chuck yet, but I'm also willing to give that story some time. We'll see. I am definitely in.

• Love 4

Also loved when Jimmy started to talk to him. "An eye for an eye, you want me to BLIND them?" Like, to him, that was a totally reasonable option.

I LOVED this scene when Tuco was going through different options for the twins' punishment

"Blind them? I'll cut out their tongues? Columbian necktie!"

Each one was horrifying to Saul and elicited louder and louder screams from the twins. Yet, to Tuco, it was just another day at the office.

• Love 4

Yeah, I'm wondering if Nacho will fill the Jesse role of young hunk (semi) side kick with issues?  Note, I'm not saying they are trying to be like BB, just that there is a seriously lack of interesting younger eye candy on this one, and I do like multi-generational stuff.  He, so far, is capturing that camera with some charisma, so maybe?  

I could see their business arrangement morphing into Saul's introduction to more than simple petty criminals.

• Love 1

I've never seen BB, felt like I missed something bordering on great. Watching Better call Saul is great for me, because to me all of the characters are new. I'm not bogged down in wondering what's gonna be different or the same for BB character to BCS's character. I like that!!!!!

• Love 4

I'm hoping Saul gets money soon, gets that office in the strip mall, and hires Huell, Francesca, and Kuby. They were great characters and their interactions could liven up the show. It would almost be criminal not to have them in the series.

• Love 2

2nd episode was definitely better then the first but then pilots are hardly ever the greatest thing ever. I loved the desert scene with Jimmy (I guess we can' call him Saul) and how he just talked his way out of a death sentence for his clients and the line after when he dropped them off at the hospital .  One of them said he was thwarts lawyer ever and he responded with something along the lines of reducing a death sentence to six months community service.  He was the best lawyer ever.  I thought that was funny as hell.  

And the Lawyer montauge was good too,    Loved the scenes with him and Mike.

If they can develop some supporting characters that the audience cares about that could provide opportunity for suspense. I didn't care much about the skateboarders, but I felt suspense over their "sentence" from Tuco.

The suspense will be HOW he becomes the man he will become when he meets WW.  The path he takes and what dark roads it leads him down.  I found the scene in the desert very suspenseful or just plain well acted.  I knew he wasn't going to die but the look on his face when he pleaded for his own life and then the life of his "clients" was worth the price of admission and then the look on his face when Tuco broke their bones....will keep me coming back for more.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

Last night was lovely--I skipped watching on Sunday--then on Monday AMC showed the final episode of Breaking Bad--which gave the perfect lead in to the pilot--and then I watched this episode.   

This kind of show is my favorite--I think if they keep adding characters (as they do) it will become something I'll stick with. I have always liked the Saul character.

I'm already worried about Chuck.   Something must end up happening to him.   I can tell already that Jimmy/Saul would never go off to Nebraska and leave him without someone to take care of him.

Oh and Odenkirk is kind of like Ed Harris, they are actors who really seem to get so much out of the hair that they use for their different roles.   Younger Jimmy's fuller hair seems so hopeful....and his later thinner comb over adds to the Saul we see at the beginning of the pilot.     I thought his sad hair in Fargo suited that character perfectly as well.   I know this is a silly thing--but I always thing it seems to impact how Odenkirk comes across.

• Love 1

After watching the skateboarding Wonder Twins for two episodes, I understand now why Huell & Kuby were Saul's A Team.

Ah! I hadn't made the connection that the matchbook came from the Kettleman's.  BTW, it is Betsy, not Becky.   "Becky" was Walt's neighbor on the left...or was it the right?  :-).

Becky's on the left, Carol's on the right - Skyler White

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 3

And I was just going to get mad at the blatant ripoff in the montage, complete with Vivaldi, from "all that jazz" ( jazz hands, it's showtime folks, coffee) when he said "it's from a movie!" Nd my faith was restored.

One of my all time favorite movies (thank goodness some of you recognized it instead of thinking it was from Beetlejuice, it was the music and the coffee)

Right now I'm just enjoying all the symbolism that keeps popping up tying it to BB. TWINS? It would be fun for people to post their "finds" on here (are these technically Easter Eggs?)

Tuco and his sweetness toward his abuelita was just so interesting. It's always fascinated me when I've seen guys with their family (like Mafia guys or drug dealers) being so loving and concerned with family members and then flip in an instant to bad asses. I'm wondering if Abuelo DIng-Ding-Ding will pop up really soon. It's like meeting old friends (in a weird way) when I see them. 

Originally I think people were mentioning Chuck had cancer but I always thought it was some kind of mental instability. I keep thinking Jimmy will come home and Chuck will be wearing a tin foil hat. 

• Love 1

I've never seen BB, felt like I missed something bordering on great. Watching Better call Saul is great for me, because to me all of the characters are new. I'm not bogged down in wondering what's gonna be different or the same for BB character to BCS's character. I like that!!!!!

I often wonder what it'd be like to watch Better Call Saul and then Breaking Bad.  That's the great thing about a prequel.  You can't be spoiled about the future.

I don't want to be one of those crazy "You gotta watch this" Breaking Bad fans that keeps trying to shove the show on people who haven't watched yet but I would say it didn't "border" on great.  It was great.

• Love 7

I often wonder what it'd be like to watch Better Call Saul and then Breaking Bad.  That's the great thing about a prequel.  You can't be spoiled about the future.

Well, I mean... the black and white open.

Do we think Abuelita is Tio Hector's mom and the cousins' grandma?  She could be on the other side of Tuco's family I suppose.

I want to like the show and I will keep watching, but I have to say, this show really isn't drawing me in much.

I know those scenes with his brother and the woman he was dating (or paying?) had its points, but man were they plodding and dull.

Someone mentioned in the other thread the lack of secondary characters and I do think thats part of the problem. Besides his brother, who never leaves the house and is crazy, not many new people introduced.

I do like Nacho and the toned down Tico. They need more though.

It still has potential. Certainly the desert scene was great, that is a classic Breaking Bad set up and scene. This episode really just seemed to lull in the middle.

I am a bit underwhelmed so far though, I have to say, and I was really looking forward to this show.

• Love 1

Well, I mean... the black and white open.

Do we think Abuelita is Tio Hector's mom and the cousins' grandma?  She could be on the other side of Tuco's family I suppose.

I wondered this as well.  We never got to see Tuco interact with the cousins, so that would be fun.  I'd like to see what family night at the Salamanca household was all about back in 2002-2003.  Did they play Scrabble?  Maybe a lively game of Twister?  Did they watch American Idol and scoff when Ruben Studdard won instead of Clay Aiken?  What did they think of The Bachelor's choice for the recipient of the final rose?

I also wonder if we are going to hear/see vague references to 9/11 (just in passing, not as major plot points).  Back in 2002, people were still feeling very distraught over the events of 9/11/01, and almost anywhere you went you'd see mini-flags.  Talk of terrorists/Al Qaeda was rampant.  People were still in shock.  Security was amped up all over the nation.  There were a couple of references to 9/11 on Breaking Bad, so it would make sense to work something in to BCS since BCS' starting point is taking place not long after 9/11 happened, basically.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

As I also haven't watched BB... And I did watch the pilot and was. Like meh, sorry. Maybe someday I'll watch episode three... I'm beginning to wonder if this board is for me. Very little conversation about anything but BB and while some spoilers are to be expected I feel like it's ALL spoilers.

Is suspect we need two boad's, like game of thrones has two... One for book readers and one for non

Can we have a separate thread for non bb watchers? It might be quiet but at least it would discuss the show on its own merits.

• Love 1

I'm in for the duration. Love this show!

My Mom had a cane just like Tuco's grandma. It's out in the garage. I need to haul it in and practice twirling it and using it for a weapon. ;-)

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2

As I also haven't watched BB... And I did watch the pilot and was. Like meh, sorry. Maybe someday I'll watch episode three... I'm beginning to wonder if this board is for me. Very little conversation about anything but BB and while some spoilers are to be expected I feel like it's ALL spoilers.

Is suspect we need two boad's, like game of thrones has two... One for book readers and one for non

Can we have a separate thread for non bb watchers? It might be quiet but at least it would discuss the show on its own merits.

I was and still am obsessed with BB, but I think this forum could do with a little less discussion of it myself. Would hate to lose this viewers new to this universe.

I like Nacho.   He looks like the Devil.   And he wants Jimmy's soul.

It was nice to see Jaime Luner again (the woman in the bar), I always liked her.   Kinda bittersweet to see that all she can get anymore are forgettable parts.

Good episode, except all the fun stuff was up front. 

• Love 1

Hmm, I had trouble with this episode, mostly with the pacing again. The desert scene was way too long and unfortunately too predictable to me, and I skipped through some of it. I also didn't get the sense of a real story arc throughout the episode, and was disoriented when it ended as a result. I think they're being a little self-indulgent with the repetition of the public-defender courthouse scenes and the parking stamp gag. We're on, what, iteration #5 of the parking stamp scene? 

The "showtime, folks" gag lifted from All That Jazz--even self-acknowledgedly so--fell flat for me. 

The breadstick scene went on WAY WAY WAY WAY too long.

I think the problem is there isn't much plot happening yet. We don't know much more in episode 2 than we did in episode 1. We already knew Saul/Jimmy was desperate and nearing the end of this rope. We knew he had an eccentric (relative?). We knew that the public-defender gig was soul-sucking but that he tries his best. The show hasn't given me any cues yet if I'm supposed to be invested in the skateboarder brothers/twins, and Tuco seems to have been superseded by Michael Mando (which is fine, Tuco started being pretty one-dimensional this ep), so I didn't have a sense of forward momentum for any of the characters.

I suppose if one looks at Uno and Mijo  as a two-parter that should have been one long (heavily edited) episode it would have held together better as a pilot. 

• Love 2

I think the Breaking Bad talk is a result of the show being so new.  That may drop the more the show develops into its own entity.  I'd have to re-read but I will say that I don't know that there have been any major BB spoilers dropped here.  (If there have been, then i must have glossed over them because they didn't stand out.)  I think that's because Saul, while an important part of the BB universe, was on the outskirts of much of that action. 

That said, I do think a non-BB viewers thread is a good idea.  Because Mike wasn't on the outskirts and the more the show dives into what makes him tick, the more likely we'll get spoiler talk.

• Love 3

Hmm, I had trouble with this episode, mostly with the pacing again. The desert scene was way too long and unfortunately too predictable to me, and I skipped through some of it. I also didn't get the sense of a real story arc throughout the episode, and was disoriented when it ended as a result. I think they're being a little self-indulgent with the repetition of the public-defender courthouse scenes and the parking stamp gag. We're on, what, iteration #5 of the parking stamp scene? 

The "showtime, folks" gag lifted from All That Jazz--even self-acknowledgedly so--fell flat for me. 

The breadstick scene went on WAY WAY WAY WAY too long.

I think the problem is there isn't much plot happening yet. We don't know much more in episode 2 than we did in episode 1. We already knew Saul/Jimmy was desperate and nearing the end of this rope. We knew he had an eccentric (relative?). We knew that the public-defender gig was soul-sucking but that he tries his best. The show hasn't given me any cues yet if I'm supposed to be invested in the skateboarder brothers/twins, and Tuco seems to have been superseded by Michael Mando (which is fine, Tuco started being pretty one-dimensional this ep), so I didn't have a sense of forward momentum for any of the characters.

I suppose if one looks at Uno and Mijo  as a two-parter that should have been one long (heavily edited) episode it would have held together better as a pilot. 

I thought the pacing of Mijo was generally fine.  The bread stick scene did drag on a bit.  It almost had the feel of one of those intentionally repetitive, drawn out gags on "Monk", which I never really cared for..  Speaking of "Monk", I'm thinking Chuck and his "condition" might be played for somewhat similar effect. 

I think the plot moved on pretty well.  The skater story was resolved (though I think that was just a device to get the real story going.)  and we had the great scene in the desert.  Jimmy has now become an effective, money making PD with great confidence.  More importantly, Jimmy has started a relationship with criminals who are associates of the cartel, who want to work with him.  That opens up all sorts of possibilities. 

Chuck wearing the tinfoil blanket made me laugh - not invested in the character yet.  Jaul seems fed up with the weirdness that goes along with Chuck, or it was the hangover talking over the filter.  Chuck lowering the blanket until Jaul went outside and promptly protecting himself again, it's like a dance with those two.

Tuco's excitement at the columbian necktie - awesome!! 

• Love 1

So Chuck is schizophrenic, at least appears so,  thats classic shcizoprenic paranoia and behavior. I wonder if that is new/old, if he is on meds, what happened at the law firm.  New onset shcizophrenia at his age would be unusual, usaully happens when younger.  I wonder if he had it under control and then stopped his meds, or its completely new.....somewhat interesting. 

So Chuck is schizophrenic, at least appears so,  thats classic shcizoprenic paranoia and behavior. I wonder if that is new/old, if he is on meds, what happened at the law firm.  New onset shcizophrenia at his age would be unusual, usaully happens when younger.  I wonder if he had it under control and then stopped his meds, or its completely new.....somewhat interesting. 

I don't think he is schizophrenic.  Doesn't  that normally manifest itself at a much, younger age.  I think he has a severe phobia of electromagnetic fields, which he believes harm him in some way, which has become debilitating to him, making him terrified to leave the house, or be around any electricity. 

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4

I don't think he is schizophrenic.  Doesn't  that normally manifest itself at a much, younger age.  I think he has a severe phobia of electromagnetic fields, which he believes harm him in some way, which has become debilitating to him, making him terrified to leave the house, or be around any electricity. 

Yes schizophrenia usually comes on at a younger age, as I mentioned, but thats a typical schizophreniform paranoid delusion.  He is somewhere in that scectrum whether he is truly schizophrenic or not.  Can't say without knowing more of his history. 

I loved the "It's Showtime!" stuff.  I didn't feel like it was there just for the gag, "It's from a movie!"

For me, it was an easy and short way to introduce what Saul's work life was like, an endless parade of low lifes, for $700 each, trial or no trial, he made the same money for a plea deal that he made for a (long) court battle.  I also felt it was his was of psyching himself up to be ON.  That it wasn't his deep down nature to be that smooth talking lawyer type, with the tricks and machinations it takes, and the air of confidence to get his clients off.  He had to put on that persona like a set of clothes.   He didn't just need it for the courtroom, he needed it to wheel and deal with the prosecutor. 

In the desert scene, you could see him stretching to pull it off without the bathroom ritual of prep, he was pulling it up from somewhere deep inside, almost by the roots, and it wasn't as smooth or as easy for him to do that.  Sure, that was mostly being terrified, but I felt that the larger part was, out in the desert, he was just Jimmy again, the guy who apparently failed in the big firm, the guy who needed a few moments to psych himself up to be able to walk in and act confident in court.

It humanized Jimmy/Saul for me, and gave me huge clues into who he really is.  When you combine that with what he did in the desert by not just walking away with his life, and instead staying there to fight for the skateboarding scums lives, we got to know his soul, and his morale and professional code.  He's a good man, in spite of the whole "sleazy lawyer" vibe.  He's also a damn good lawyer, in spite of the sad brown suit, and beat up car, and pathetic office. 

There is something THERE there, someone worth getting to know.

This isn't a Breaking Bad spoiler, but those scenes did remind me of Breaking Bad's STYLE of storytelling.  Scenes play out, and the non verbal small moments breathe, it's not dialogue/dialogue/dialogue let's fill ever second with words way of telling a story.  It's a style that really grows on you, and has a reality that many shows never reach, because in real life, it's the quiet before the words, or in between them, it's the reactions just as much as the actions that meld together and deliver.  I think they really achieved that in this episode.  THAT's why it reminded me of BB, not simply the desert scenes or Tuco.

Simply discussing those two scenes, the montage of "It's showtime!" and the desert?  They fit together, and the fusion is what made them great.  Alone, they would still be "good" scenes, but when combined, the whole became a great deal more than the parts.

ETA

The same thing happened when he was on his date with boobs girl and the bread sticks.  Even though he saved the skateboarders lives out there, he still felt sickened and some guilt that their legs were broken.  He was thrown, was that the best he could do?  Did he fail?  Yes, we had his moment of "I just got a death sentence reduced to 6 months probation, I'm the best lawyer EVER!"  Later, we got the other side of Jimmy/Saul, at that dinner.  The doubts, WAS he good enough?

Every scene is connected, or combined, almost like a dinner of carefully chosen foods and wines. 

The part that (so far) is really not working for me is the electromagnetic guy.  I have a lot of faith in these storytellers though, so they'll probably surprise me and it will end up being amazing.  So far though, it's annoying me.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 17

I wonder if Jimmy is going to change his name soon.  It would be weird to call this show "Better Call Saul" if he's going to keep his real name for a while.

Just a speculation - we've already seen Jimmy use *five* names: "Slippin' Jimmy", Jimmy McGill, FBI Agent Jeffrey Steele, Saul Goodman, and Gene the Cinnabon manager.  I wonder if Saul Goodman isn't his next name, only the one that he ends up with by the beginning of BB.  Maybe he'll go through several identities over the show's arc.  And who's to say that Jimmy McGill is actually his original name?

Edited by WalterWhiteWalker

I think the name thing will be resolved soon.  It's just a hunch, but that montage also sped things up quite about as far as evolution of the character.  We saw him do the whole trial in the beginning, spend days on it, and only get $700.  Now he's learning the system better, doing plea deals, so making more money simply by volume. 

Maybe when we came in he'd just been fired from the other place (Chuck talking about the people he knew at the big firm) and began to work on his own?  So, at least he's mastered the whole jail client thing now, ready to evolve into the next phase?