Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Week 6

• Start Topic

At least based on my personal experience with some women who have claimed to be virgins, and based on Ashley's unrelenting claims of being a virgin being a "feature" of hers, coupled with her manner of dress, make-up, and willingness to make out, leads me to believe that Ashley is the type of girl who would smile and say "I'm a virgin, but we can do other things...."

Agree with this. In college, I knew a lot of girls who were 'virgins' but were ready and willing to do a lot of making out and other stuff of the hand and mouth variety, while still claiming to hold onto their V card. Depending on your own definitions/beliefs, some would not consider them virgins and some still would. I think Ashley fits into that category - kissing plus a LOT of extras.

While Becca, I think is more of a 'pure' virgin - as in, no 'jobs' of any kind.

Just my opinion though and it is based on what I've seen on the show, which is heavily edited.

• Love 1

That would have been fun for the 2 on 1 (though not sure if they could arrange it and still copter out to the Badlands). It also would have been nice for the group date, since Chris posed (alone) for at least 6 different photos. There could have been a different b-ette in each with him.

He really doesn't seem to feel much for these women (I don't mean love, I mean "interest" and "empathy") if they could open their hearts to write love songs to him and then, without a whole lot of talent, perform them for him -- and he still doesn't think twice about abandoning them a few minutes later while he runs off (literally) with Britt, not even having the courtesy to say where they are going.

I think he's right to worry about never finding someone. Britt seems over him (if she ever was actually interested at all, which I don't believe). I think the others will feel the same way if they ever really start spending time in a committed relationship. He's boring and kind of rude. So far, I don't see how he's any better than Juan Pablo (and don't understand why Clare got blamed for the "swim" and Britt doesn't for the "nap". Maybe it's because JP felt guilty and tried to back pedal the following day--while she was still on cloud 9, falling in love after the memorable experience.)

Chris hasn't done either of those, but I think he's actually more disrespectful and less honest with the women than JP was. But he seems to be getting a pass for it, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because he has a "nicer" demeanor. But, seriously, he doesn't seem to be doing more than the minimum toward getting to know any more about their lives than JP did.

• Love 5

Writing love songs reminded me of my rewrite of a popular song almost 40 years ago:

You are the man that I've always dreamed of,

Nightmares do come true!

I saw your face and

That's the last you've seen of me.

It's funny how we all thought this was the greatest bunch of smart and attractive b-ettes EVAH!

I didn't. I was honestly baffled by the pages of comments about this being the most beautiful group of women in the first episode thread because all I remembered was horrible sparkly prom like dresses, over the top makeup, bad hairdos, cheesy limo exits and the air of desperation even then. And the crazy was already obvious from night one with Ashley S and her fight with the onion/not onion.

I feel sorry for Chris.  I believe he got a raw deal, because most of these ladies do not strike me as being very bright.

I don't disagree that many of these women are either over the top desperate or nutty or seemingly not too bright but I'm not letting Chris off the hook. Becca seems quite normal and fairly intelligent and she carried most of the conversation from what we saw of their date. Same with his one on one with Whitney and after the creepy sex/intimate lady part of their date, I thought Carly asked some interesting questions and really seemed to be trying to develop a genuine bond and conversation with him. And dude took like ten years to answer the most simple questions. 

I haven't seen any real conversations between Chris and these women and it just seems like everytime things get a little awkward or uncomfortable, largely because he doesn't have anything to say, he just makes out with them. I think the only real difference between Chris and Juan Pablo is that Juan Pablo just didn't give a shit and so he was upfront with his asshole behavior. I'll also give that I can buy Chris wanting a wife because of where he was raised and he's in his 30's so I can buy that he sees it as "it's time."

But he just doesn't seem particularly interesting and insightful and as a result has little interesting and insightful to say to the women. And so of course the producers are going to focus on the crazy and ridiculous behavior of the women because leaving it up to just watching Chris make awkward small talk, will be even more boring. Like I've said, as much as I'm no fan of hers, I actually do think Andi was a good Bachelorette up until she acted like a cold, unfeeling shrew to Nick and her snapping at Eric. But she at least attempted to look engaged in many of the guys, asked them stuff about themselves, had decent conversations with them. 

• Love 9

Does Kelsey have a kid?  I ask because the way she reacted when he came back and told her he'd sent Ashley packing was terrifying "I'm so sorry."  I was half expecting her to start screaming "NO WIRE HANGERS!" when Chris began to tell her she was also going home.

She strikes me as the kind of mother who would raise a serial killer.  Or destroy her husband's closet if there was even the mere suggestion of impropriety.  

She's.....terrifying.

For all of Ashley's histrionics....I never saw her squeeze a tear out of her eye.  And trust me, with all the black shit on her eyes, we would've seen it dribbling down her face like the Nile.

These women scare me.

• Love 4

Running off with Britt while the women sat around was really unnecessary. Actually, it wasn't so much running off with her (maybe he had to pick someone to go to the concert with and it was out of his hands... maybe) but did he have to come back with that smirk on his face, holding her hand, and then leave 2 seconds later without really saying much?  Couldn't he have pre-planned something to say?  Called someone over for a final 1:1 to make the Britt preference less glaring? Or he could have taken her to the concert, but given the rose to someone else... I don't know, he could have made it better in so many little ways.  As it was he came off as incredibly obtuse and obnoxious and rude.  It almost felt like he was rubbing Britt in the other girls faces or something.  

He is very bad at pretending to be interested in some of these women.  Like, really really bad.  

• Love 6

I just assumed Chris was told that he should take the woman he wanted to have the group date rose over to the show where they'd get on stage with the band for a song. I don't think he thought it was going to be an hour or that it was any different than any other time he's been told to go here or there and do this or that. I don't think he's mean. I think he's naive and pliable and the producers knew exactly what it would do to have him return from a moment in which he was on a major high -- he loves country music and he got to go on stage with Big & Rich and sing along at a concert -- pretty heady stuff for a true country music fan. It was highly unlikely anyone would be able to come down from that as quickly as would be necessary to return with the right amount of decorum given the state of boredom, confusion, and hurt the other women were in. The women signed up for a show in which they should have known they were going to do lots of sitting around and waiting for a guy who would never want for attention. I get their feelings and it's not like I am such a fan of Chris, but what did they expect? Did they really think that Chris just thought up the idea to ditch them so he could crash a Big & Rich show any more than he thought up the idea to go hot air ballooning? 

I'm still laughing over the editors who gave us that wonderful parting shot of the Badlands with Kelsey and Ashley literally on different levels. 

• Love 5

I just assumed Chris was told that he should take the woman he wanted to have the group date rose over to the show where they'd get on stage with the band for a song. I don't think he thought it was going to be an hour or that it was any different than any other time he's been told to go here or there and do this or that. I don't think he's mean. I think he's naive and pliable and the producers knew exactly what it would do to have him return from a moment in which he was on a major high -- he loves country music and he got to go on stage with Big & Rich and sing along at a concert -- pretty heady stuff for a true country music fan. It was highly unlikely anyone would be able to come down from that as quickly as would be necessary to return with the right amount of decorum given the state of boredom, confusion, and hurt the other women were in. The women signed up for a show in which they should have known they were going to do lots of sitting around and waiting for a guy who would never want for attention. I get their feelings and it's not like I am such a fan of Chris, but what did they expect? Did they really think that Chris just thought up the idea to ditch them so he could crash a Big & Rich show any more than he thought up the idea to go hot air ballooning? 

Yeah, I get that -- and I am usually on the Bachelor/Bachelorette's side when it comes to these things (because yes, the other contestants signed up for it after all).  There was just something about this time... something about the way he did it, that just didn't sit right with me.  

I've always been struck by how dull the conversations sound on 1:1 dates. It's all relationship stuff - what was your longest relationship, what are you looking for, do you see yourself marrying someone from this show, etc.? Ugh. I wondered why no one would ever talk about favorite movies, music, sports, anything other "I like you," "I like you too." I could swear that I read (a while back) that the producers want to keep conversations to certain, restrictive topics - and if that's the case, then it's no wonder that these people have no clue about the person they're getting engaged to and the relationships implode pretty quickly. But maybe this ("appropriate conversation topics for 1:1 time") has become a little bit more relaxed.

Chris teared up over Britt's song although it was just a bunch of cliches. I didn't think she did the best job but her song was the one that mattered most to him, clearly. It was interesting that he admitted to Carly that he feels insecure about where he comes from and whether that's enough. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit by thinking that this could be why he's not getting too interested in the women? After all, it doesn't look like many of them respond well to his hometown. (I'm excluding Kelsey's solemn "I'm prepared to be your wife," as it sounded like someone agreeing to an arranged marriage or doing whatever it took to be the last woman standing.)

• Love 3

If memory serves,  Chris H. told the ladies that "nothing was off limits" on the second episode.  I fail to see how he would know at that point that this season with Chris S. would be so dull that they would need to boost the ratings.  I feel sorry for Chris.  I believe he got a raw deal, because most of these ladies do not strike me as being very bright.

Oh, they'd know. They probably knew when they cast him. That's why they cast so many crazies and Big Personalities.

I've always been struck by how dull the conversations sound on 1:1 dates. It's all relationship stuff - what was your longest relationship, what are you looking for, do you see yourself marrying someone from this show, etc.? Ugh. I wondered why no one would ever talk about favorite movies, music, sports, anything other "I like you," "I like you too." I could swear that I read (a while back) that the producers want to keep conversations to certain, restrictive topics - and if that's the case, then it's no wonder that these people have no clue about the person they're getting engaged to and the relationships implode pretty quickly. But maybe this ("appropriate conversation topics for 1:1 time") has become a little bit more relaxed.

I think they do talk about that stuff, but ABC doesn't want to get into airing the contestant's personal movie reviews and sports team fandom. More, they want to steer clear of politics, and often religion, and they don't want to rag on any part of the country, either (leaving out the "I can't wait to get out of [insert geographical location here], it sucks." The restriction is in what is shown rather than what the two people actually say during all those hours. We only see a few minutes, after all.

And personal music preferences played a role this episode, with Chris saying he loved country music and Britt pretending she'd just discovered it.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 3

For all of Ashley's histrionics....I never saw her squeeze a tear out of her eye.  And trust me, with all the black shit on her eyes, we would've seen it dribbling down her face like the Nile.

I kept waiting for a production hand to appear in the frame and hand her a box of Kleenex. She was snuffling snot like crazy (kray-zee, heh), yet her face wasn't wet that I could see. It's really possible she was a production set up, too, and told to go ahead and have a massive "breakdown" and that's the best she could do. She did pull that great line about how, while she wasn't right for Iowa, Britt most certainly was not either. It was a look into the future?

In her defensive, there is such a thing as waterproof mascara. It's all I ever use. It takes time to wear off, tears don't phase it. Great stuff.

I wonder if the FS is used to finally talk about things like religion, books, movies, houses, where you've traveled. You know, stuff the rest of us chat about on dates. This show is only about the "connection" so TPTB don't give a care about personal things, just about matching up wanting to get married w/the number of kids they both want.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

It would have been a cute scene to have Whitney go to the concert since she truly was a B&R fan. Think how fun that would be!  It didn't mean much of anything to Britt compared with Whitney (who seemed to have one of the worst songs) or Carly whose self esteem sadly seems pretty wrapped up in Chris.

I think it was a little thing that really bugged me about -both- Chris and Britt in this one. The way they entered and walked up to them holding hands. For women they hadn't seen for a (mysterious) hour and who would obviously be disappointed (if not, like me, mad),that just seemed obnoxious--like rubbing their faces in the news, "We're a happy couple, just look. And while you've been sitting here --after writing your little love songs-- we've been having a great time IN CONCERT together with Big and Rich!!!"  Message given: y'all and your feelings aren't very important to either one of us.

• Love 7

Yeah, I get that -- and I am usually on the Bachelor/Bachelorette's side when it comes to these things (because yes, the other contestants signed up for it after all).  There was just something about this time... something about the way he did it, that just didn't sit right with me.

It's because he left the women wondering. If he'd gathered them all together and made his choice, as we've seen done a zillion times in the past, the rest of the women could have gone back to the hotel instead of sat there confused and hurt that their "date" essentially dumped them.

I really wonder if he was told to take his choice to the concert DURING his 1-on-1 time with her. If so, he could easily have pushed back on production. I think he probably just felt "Screw it, I want to get over to that concert, and I want to take Britt, so let's go!" I don't think he thinks about the ramifications of his actions on the other women at all (or he wouldn't have been canoodling with Britt RIGHT IN FRONT of the other women--talk about rude!). He was more interested in impressing Britt and making out with her than any other concern.

He doesn't work well for this show for that reason. The ideal bachelor is more of a woman's man -- he knows how women think and what might upset them, and how to reassure them. He can also juggle his relationships. I don't think Chris has those skills, so he doesn't engage much. But most importantly, the bachelor needs to have high-level social skills, so he'd know better than to dump his dates and run off without a word. Maybe the word I'm looking for is sophistication. Or class.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 5

It's because he left the women wondering. If he'd gathered them all together and made his choice, as we've seen done a zillion times in the past, the rest of the women could have gone back to the hotel instead of sat there confused and hurt that their "date" essentially dumped them.

Exactly!  Often the group dates do have something special for whatever girl gets the rose.  I think he thought he could pull it off without the other girls finding out, but his strategy backfired.  But, of course he is so obviously into Britt, he's not exactly caring too much about the other girls' feelings either.  Maybe reality will change that but I could definitely see it if some of the girls figured this game is over and checked out emotionally. 

The ideal bachelor is more of a woman's man -- he knows how women think and what might upset them, and how to reassure them

You mean like Juan Pablo?  He was the "Master of the Meaningless Murmur".  A few placating words interspersed with some Spanish phrases.  Then a dive in for the kiss, followed by a heart-felt "Eeess Ok".   

I'd rather have Chris: confusion, bumbling and tongue-tied attempts.  More real to me.  Chris Harrison said the biggest problem with Chris was that he wore his heart on his sleeve and didn't have the practiced smoothness most guys had in dealing with the ladies.

• Love 3

I find it interesting that Chris

only posts pictures of him and Britt on Instagram, if he is supposedly engaged to (you know who), why is he being so disrespectful towards her.

Oh and in Andi's season he said he likes his women "slender" yet they cast a plus size model.

Edited by Rhondinella
hid potential spoiler

I'm still laughing over the editors who gave us that wonderful parting shot of the Badlands with Kelsey and Ashley literally on different levels. 

I agree with this.  Plus, I think Chris is actually the kind of guy that doesn't have a lot of insight into women, or foresight into the likely repercussions of his careless behavior with them... but he'd like to... meaning, with a woman like Becca or Whitney (articulate, bright, able to express emotion without word vomit), he could learn.  He seems willing to accept responsibility when he steps in it, with the women, and he seems to not actively be trying to hurt anyone... he wants to be nice.  He just doesn't have much experience, it seems, handling the minefields of multiple women at once.

Which is weird, considering the number of sisters he has.  Maybe he and his dad just headed for the fields when the women-folk went on a tear... ;-)  (Best country accent applies here. :-P )

I do think he's willing to do the work it'll take to have a relationship.  It's just going to take a lot of work.  Which is why I still see Becca and Whitney as being the two that have the most potential.  Becca has that great sense of humor, to be able to get him to laugh at the work involved.  Whitney has that stern "straighten up" face, to snap him into shape. LOL

• Love 1

The ideal bachelor is more of a woman's man -- he knows how women think and what might upset them, and how to reassure them. He can also juggle his relationships. I don't think Chris has those skills, so he doesn't engage much. But most importantly, the bachelor needs to have high-level social skills, so he'd know better than to dump his dates and run off without a word.

Perfectly said. This speaks more to why Chris is still a bachelor at age 33 than his rural and isolated location. A jackass is a jackass, regardless of where he lives. That Chris is macking on Britt in front of all the other women ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that is hurtful to the women who are right there watching the man they came to "marry" make out. That's just common sense. You don't even need a bachelors degree, much less a masters (or phd!) to just KNOW that stuff.

As for Chris being sensitive to women because he has sisters ... balderdash! He's nowhere around them, he's out on the tractor. And if they do start in with their "women-folk" problems, he leaves ... and goes out on the tractor.

It's the Farm Boy Way.

Becca has that great sense of humor, to be able to get him to laugh at the work involved.

Except she noted (more than once!) his terribly grating falsetto laugh. I doubt Becca could put up with that until death do they part.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

But he just doesn't seem particularly interesting and insightful and as a result has little interesting and insightful to say to the women.

I would love to see a season of this show with an intelligent and witty lead, but that is probably a rare type of man among those who would actually sign up to be on The Bachelorette. It's just too bad for those of us who listen to the conversations on this show (we must be suckers for torture) that the last few male leads have possessed major communication issues. At least with Juan Pablo I could kind of decipher what he was trying to say. With Chris, I have no idea what he is trying to say because he can't get anything out.

The most annoying thing about Kelsey to me is how she's convinced she's so special.

To be fair, that is the most annoying thing about nearly everyone who appears on this show...and maybe the general populace.

• Love 3

But he just doesn't seem particularly interesting and insightful and as a result has little interesting and insightful to say to the women.

Really weird, but that was NOT my post even though the quote is attributed to my 5:30 submission.  It came from truthaboutluv's 1:35 post.

OMIGAWD, call Kelsey!  It's a paradox!

• Love 3

Really weird, but that was NOT my post even though the quote is attributed to my 5:30 submission.  It came from truthaboutluv's 1:35 post.

OMIGAWD, call Kelsey!  It's a paradox!

lol...something weird like that happened to me a long time ago on TWOP. There was a post with my username that I knew I never wrote because I was barely watching the show at the time.  It was really strange.

• Love 1

Just checking in to say: Jade? My absolute favorite. She is the most real of them all, and she seems sweet. I hate to think that her past decisions will rear up to dq her. :(. Jade for bachelorette!!!!

I like Jade a lot, too, and, being spoiled even before the preview, thought she was kind of a fake all along. But, after weeks have passed, I'm really not sure. Maybe that really -is- her, kind of nice and quiet, insecure and shy. Just because she can "model" or even "act" for the camera doesn't necessarily mean she's got confidence or even that much relationship experience.

I'd worry if she was the bachelorette if she really is shy, though (as she seems), because men would sign up thinking she was a bimbo with loose morals and she might not be that way at all.

I loved Becca when she talked about Chris' laugh and said she usually waits for him to laugh, then laughs herself because she's laughing at how he sounds!

Most of these women are too good for Chris, imo, and I think Britt already thinks so, too.

• Love 2

You mean like Juan Pablo?  He was the "Master of the Meaningless Murmur".  A few placating words interspersed with some Spanish phrases.  Then a dive in for the kiss, followed by a heart-felt "Eeess Ok".   

I'd rather have Chris: confusion, bumbling and tongue-tied attempts.  More real to me.  Chris Harrison said the biggest problem with Chris was that he wore his heart on his sleeve and didn't have the practiced smoothness most guys had in dealing with the ladies.

Absolutely not. He never cared about the women's feelings because he's too much of a narcissist. I was thinking more of Brad Womack, Andrew Firestone, even Jason. Ari the racecar driver would probably be a good choice -- he seemed to have his act together in terms of socializing. 

• Love 3

Running off with Britt while the women sat around was really unnecessary. Actually, it wasn't so much running off with her (maybe he had to pick someone to go to the concert with and it was out of his hands... maybe) but did he have to come back with that smirk on his face, holding her hand, and then leave 2 seconds later without really saying much?  Couldn't he have pre-planned something to say?  Called someone over for a final 1:1 to make the Britt preference less glaring? Or he could have taken her to the concert, but given the rose to someone else... I don't know, he could have made it better in so many little ways.  As it was he came off as incredibly obtuse and obnoxious and rude.  It almost felt like he was rubbing Britt in the other girls faces or something.  

He is very bad at pretending to be interested in some of these women.  Like, really really bad.  

I thought the worst part was before that,  when they were all writing their country songs - about Chris - while watching him and Britt make googly-eyes at each other.  How do you write a love song about or to a guy who is pretty much acting like he doesn't know you exist? 

Now me -  In that situation, I'd go the passive-aggressive route.  I'm the kind of person who would have made up a song asking "why won't you look at me the way you look at her?"  and make it obvious that I was talking about Britt.  Maybe even a line about how I shower daily and smell pretty.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6

This whole show is very scripted, especially when they show footage of a woman sneaking in his room while he,s sound asleep or some such example, or popping in randomly in Chris's room. I'll never forget. watching The Hulk reality show (hanging my head in shame). and the family were on vacation and that big hulk daughter went off to the beach alone to check things out. Well, it has Hulk Hogan and his then, pathetically slutty looking wife going all insane cause they're big 17 year old daughter is lost in this big ole beach town!! They show big hulking daughter wondering around aimlessly, scared and crying cause she's "lost". . Now there' are camera men following her around filming this phony drama. That's how fake this show is.

For some reason when I heard that Ashley I and Kelsey are on the two on one date I knew they would both be going home. They were the ones that Chris had no actual connection with and they were the most drama creators so it was obvious Chris wanted to boot them and the producers used this as a reason to create more drama. I can't even comment in Ashley's behavior, I mean, I used to be 26 once but God I was more mature than she'll ever be. She just saw this as her losing a competition and she thought she had done everything right and she acted like a victim wondering why she lost. Tragic. And speaking of tragic, I almost was proud of the way Kelsey handled the confrontation with Chris and Ashley and Chris asking her to leave, until she started saying that she is "unimaginably blessed" for what really? For her husband dying? I mean, it makes no sense. For me the death of a loved one is something I would never mention in public, let alone use it for a purpose so meaningless like winning a dating game. Thank God they left. They should be thankful Chris stopped their national embarrassment there.

I admire Chris for at least asking both of these girls to leave. He may not be tactful or smart, but at least he seems serious about his quest to find a wife.

My predictions for final four and how it will turn out: Whitney, Britt, Carly and Becca. Carly will leave first after the hometown dates with the excuse he doesn't feel something romantic about her. Becca will leave after her with the excuse that his relationship with the other girls have grown faster than the one with her. With Whitney and Britt in the final two, I think Britt will create some sort of drama to make Chris doubtful about her, so he'll decide to let her go and choose Whitney who is one of the most ready to get married and live with Chris in a farm. Lets wait and see if my predictions will be correct :P

Meh, it's really not that ubiquitous. I know that I've heard country music, but I couldn't name a single song or artist other than really, really well known ones like Garth Brooks and Faith Hill and Blake Shelton (and the last one only because I used to watch The Voice). I'd never heard of Big and Rich before last night. Country music isn't played on the popular/Top 40 stations in my city and I have no idea if there's a country station in the area. It's pretty easy to avoid, and if you're not into it, it's pretty easy to not absorb it even when you do hear it.

I completely agree.  I live in Nashville and while I could rattle off the names of some country artists, songs?  Probably not.  Timberlake was here a couple of months ago and Garth Brooks joined him to sing "Friends In Low Places."  How did I know the name of the song?  Someone told me.  Then told me that it was his best known song.  News to me.  Still couldn't tell you how that song goes.

• Love 1

I couldn't. I JUST couldn't with Chris. While he seems like the kind of guy I'd be attracted to:  handsome, self-deprecating, wealthy and all that I just could NOT find my self attracted at the end because there's nothing more there to him.  He needs some intelligence, some culture and at least some semblance of social skills.  I'd have eliminated myself weeks ago.  Because I just can't with a guy with nothing to offer but his money.

• Love 3

I'm guessing that the concert and Chris picking one girl to go was already set up ahead of time because there was no rose on the table and Big and Rich were expecting Chris and co. because they had changed the lyrics of their song to ride a farm boy. So that was all planned ahead of time. Just as Chris steals one girl away to give her the rose on all the other group dates, this is what he did with Britt. That concert was set up for him to take one lucky gal to it. The problem is he didn't let the other ladies know that ahead of time.  which was kind of rude on his part but I don't think Chris is familiar with too many social graces and he's obviously uncomfortable in group social situations so I kind of give him a pass but it was still hurtful and rude to the others. I hope he's not this way one on one with his lady love in real life.

• Love 1
I'd have eliminated myself weeks ago.

I wish so much these women would do that. I read that three women from JP's season are engaged and that seems to the case for a large number of the women who go on the Bachelor: within a year of appearing the show, they're often married or engaged themselves, or have a serious boyfriend. They don't "need" the show to fix them up, apparently, and don't "need" to act as though the Bachelor is the last single man on earth. 

I think many of the women could do better than Chris; maybe the competitive spirit has gotten the best of them. I personally would have exited the competition after seeing how he interacts with Britt. I'd have figured, okay, he's just not that into me, and split. But still these women cling on. I'd love to see one of them say, "You know, Chris? You're a nice guy but you're just not all that. Good luck."

• Love 2

I find it interesting that Chris

only posts pictures of him and Britt on Instagram, if he is supposedly engaged to (you know who), why is he being so disrespectful towards her.

Oh and in Andi's season he said he likes his women "slender" yet they cast a plus size model.

I found that interesting too; I thought I was the only one. Thanks for pointing that out...haha.

within a year of appearing the show, they're often married or engaged themselves, or have a serious boyfriend

It seems that each season many (most?) of these women, most of whom are well above average in the face and body department, are at low tide in terms of emotional state or self-esteem.  Broken relationships, broken engagements, bad experiences, new town, lonely, busy with work etc.  Odds are it would only be a matter of time without the Bachelor.  But while they and we may not want to admit it, the show does provide them with a shot of confidence and that confidence is often all that is lacking.

I think many of the women could do better than Chris; maybe the competitive spirit has gotten the best of them. 

As many have pointed out, Stockholm Syndrome and psychological manipulation are manifest in this show.  Bachelor alumnae regularly comment on how much downtime they must endure, either between Bachelor encounters, between actual shooting, or both.  The cliques form the minute they walk in after the limo entrances and in many cases those bonds are stronger than any with the Bachelor.  The Women Tell All?  More like An Hour Of Catfights!  They barely talk about the Bachelor - they just want to have a go at each other!

After a few episodes the Bachelorettes convince themselves that they have the ability to think and feel what the Bachelor is thinking and feeling - an exaggerated, mostly imaginary sense of empathy.  The producers use isolation the same way a jailer might ration food to manipulate, even to subjugate.  The cages are nicer, but still cages.  When they return to the real world the spell is broken and most of them say they can't understand what all the fuss was about or why they behaved so. Unfortunately for the producers, this realization often hits the Bachelor and/or his chosen mate and the so-called romance fizzles.

• Love 4

I'd have eliminated myself weeks ago.  Because I just can't with a guy with nothing to offer but his money.

This made me laugh because 1. I would not eliminate myself because there's all that travel (!) and fun in the house (!) for cast members on this show. And, 2. I'm all for marrying a guy who is reasonably good looking and has a ton of money, as long as he is willing to spend that money. Yes, I'm shallow, and I know tru lurve is full of all kinds of pitfalls. Money, however ... now that's a constant good thing. 

Handing out the group-date rose as usual would've been its own kind of bad. It was supposed to go to whoever wrote the best song, so Carly in particular would have been blindsided when he claimed that was Britt.

It seems every group-date rose has not gone to the woman who most expects it this season. Carly won the pig-wrassling contest and didn't get it. And there were more that I've put out of my memory.

I think many of the women could do better than Chris; maybe the competitive spirit has gotten the best of them.

A question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire yesterday was, the WINNER of what show has always been a woman. Answer: The Bachelor, of course. But it made me really think, the F1 is a WINNER? I just don't see it like that, even if Kelsey does.

I read that three women from JP's season are engaged and that seems to the case for a large number of the women who go on the Bachelor: within a year of appearing the show, they're often married or engaged themselves, or have a serious boyfriend. They don't "need" the show to fix them up, apparently, and don't "need" to act as though the Bachelor is the last single man on earth.

Keep in mind that this show opens doors for everyone who appears on it, including doors an ex might have shut and now opens once they see their former lover on this show, macking on someone else. Nothing gets you more propositions than a diamond ring on your finger. I had a TON of "offers" once I had a ring, all of a sudden guys that never looked at me were all about getting together. So, magnify that by the ex being on a network show, and BLAM! Miracles can happen.

The same goes for Chris. Last August he was part of the Celebrity Steer Auction at the Iowa State Fair, in the livestock arena with the governor of Iowa, all the Iowa politicians, radio and television hosts ... and "The star of The Bachelorette, Chris Soules." And that's just one isolated incident. Chris will get a TON of attention from Britt-caliber women after this show. Trust me! *coughcourtneycough* 

• Love 1

I call producer manipulation on the concert date. The formula has ALWAYS been: group date activity, group cocktail party (more often than not next to a rooftop pool), someone gets the rose, the Bachelor/ette and the chosen one get a special concert or fireworks or some type of special alone time while everyone else boo-hoos in the van back to the hotel. Our evidence is as follows:

1) No rose at the cocktail party, which the women commented on.

2) Chris grabbed Britt's hand and ran out the door, obviously having been pre-informed of where to go--and this place was chosen because it was within walking distance.

3) Big and Rich knew they were coming and called them upstage at the pre-appointed time w/ the prepared song.

4) The rose was on stage of the concert, I think, or at least at the venue.

5) The women were forced to sit there for an hour. They weren't told that Chris left, nor were they shuttled back to the hotel.

5) When they came back in, Chris immediately left. I don't think anyone is "allowed" to go anywhere unless they are told so by a producer or Harrison. The lead never says, "Whelp, I'm ready to hand out roses!" It's Harrison clinking a glass, "Chris, ladies, it's time for the rose ceremony." So someone had to tell him to come back in, leave Britt, say goodnight, and all the ladies will still sit there uncomfortably!

So I think that the producers wisely knew that it would amp up drama. The same thing with the 2:1 date. I know that there is more to the date than is shown, but it appeared that the 1:1 time consisted solely of Chris getting them to turn on each other--and then Chris leaving them alone so they could fight it out. It wasn't like he was genuinily trying to get to know them better on the date and then making his heartbreaking decision.

I think because Chris IS so passive and quiet, he's just going along with whatever the producers tell him without thinking for himself. He's following up Juan Pablo, who was the most difficult--to the crew/producers--lead ever, so I'm sure Chris has been fully informed that if he wants the gig, he needs to toe the line. I swear, I didn't like Sean, but now I'm suddenly seeing him as a REALLY GOOD Bachelor in comparison! I think he followed what he was supposed to do, but was also very clear about what was appropriate or not to him and kind of stood up for himself and the women. I think Chris is just bumbling along, do-dee-do-dee-do, and he's ending up looking like an asshole because he's not like, "Hey, can I at least send the other girls home first?" And, frankly, I don't think it's even dawning on him to ask for such a thing, but I think someone like Sean would have had enough respect to "break the rules" and do that.

• Love 8

TPTB had it all set up for a double dumping. There was absolutely NOTHING to do on that date but sit on the harem bed pitched in the dirt in the middle of the blowing wind and dirt.

Down here in the South, we call that a "Come to Jesus" meeting.  It's never good, it's always loud and it's sometimes physically painful.  Whoopin's of some sort are usually given out. 

• Love 2

It seems that each season many (most?) of these women, most of whom are well above average in the face and body department, are at low tide in terms of emotional state or self-esteem.  

I'm not really sure I buy that any of them have low self esteem.  Shows like this don't exactly accept unfortunate looking people, so these women must think something of themselves to think they're good enough to be in the cast, or wouldn't want to risk feeling worse about themselves if they were rejected as cast members.

• Love 1

I thought the worst part was before that,  when they were all writing their country songs - about Chris - while watching him and Britt make googly-eyes at each other.  How do you write a love song about or to a guy who is pretty much acting like he doesn't know you exist? 

Now me -  In that situation, I'd go the passive-aggressive route.  I'm the kind of person who would have made up a song asking "why won't you look at me the way you look at her?"  and make it obvious that I was talking about Britt.  Maybe even a line about how I shower daily and smell pretty.

I'm with you on the songwriting. My song would have been either pining for him (unrequited love) if I was in full Stockholm Syndrome mode, or a rebellious "why am I sitting here waiting for you when there are many great guys in this town?" kind of song, or--if I had the ability--something kind of country-comical about this stupid show, waiting for the rose while he's off "napping" with other women, etc. The biggest advantage of that one would be that TPTB probably wouldn't air it and my lousy singing would remain my secret (unlike it is for Jade or Whitney).

Chris looked sufficiently subdued when they returned that I'm sure he knows he's rubbing their face in it (that hand-holding thing was SO unnecessary, as was having the women see them RUNNING away, without even a good bye). I'm sure my song would end with "Bye, running off with the cameraman who's always by my side" or some such. I honestly think Chris has been the most disrespectful bachelor in memory. His bland smile and boring personality really don't pass muster as "nice guy" for me any more. Who is so indifferent to the feelings of people they've spent time with "opening up"?

ITA that Sean is looking better and better after the JP and Chris seasons. Future bachelors should study all three seasons--with a good female friend providing commentary--to avoid some of the easily-avoidable problems both JP and Chris have had. (I'm guessing that his sisters see it, too, and are very surprised--and not impressed!)

I'm with you on the songwriting. My song would have been either pining for him (unrequited love) if I was in full Stockholm Syndrome mode, or a rebellious "why am I sitting here waiting for you when there are many great guys in this town?" kind of song, or--if I had the ability--something kind of country-comical about this stupid show, waiting for the rose while he's off "napping" with other women, etc. The biggest advantage of that one would be that TPTB probably wouldn't air it and my lousy singing would remain my secret (unlike it is for Jade or Whitney).

I love it!  

It would be perfect if ONE woman on this show could be shown with some perspective on how crazy the whole premise is. 

That if they were at a party, and a guy whom they thought was cute ignored them, they would go TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE.

Even if it was a guy you were making out with just yesterday -if he ignores you and gives all his attention to another woman, you just chalk it up to him being an asshole and move on.    But because they live in this artificial contrived environment where there is only ONE guy, they are all forced to compete for his attention and imagine that they have a "connection" that is more than kissing, Because you're in that "Bachelor bubble", you have to pout and be sad and think that life is so unfair, if only I had bigger boobs or cuter lips or a better story, he'd like me more.  Competing with other women for the attention of one guy causes self-doubt and low self-esteem.  

But even if a woman said it, admitted that Chris is an ordinary guy, not prince Charming, and that she was not yet sure that she wants to date, let alone marry him, they wouldn't put that on TV unless they could slant it in a way that painted her as a complete delusional  bitch.   

I thought for a moment that kelsey was that woman, the one who could be snarky and sarcastic and realize the ridiculousness of the show.  I had high hopes after the camping trip episode.  but she let me down by being just as delusional and self-centered as anyone else on this show. 

• Love 4
I think because Chris IS so passive and quiet, he's just going along with whatever the producers tell him without thinking for himself. He's following up Juan Pablo, who was the most difficult--to the crew/producers--lead ever, so I'm sure Chris has been fully informed that if he wants the gig, he needs to toe the line. I swear, I didn't like Sean, but now I'm suddenly seeing him as a REALLY GOOD Bachelor in comparison! I think he followed what he was supposed to do, but was also very clear about what was appropriate or not to him and kind of stood up for himself and the women. I think Chris is just bumbling along, do-dee-do-dee-do, and he's ending up looking like an asshole because he's not like, "Hey, can I at least send the other girls home first?" And, frankly, I don't think it's even dawning on him to ask for such a thing, but I think someone like Sean would have had enough respect to "break the rules" and do that.

Yes to this. And remember, Chris had the Bachelor gig IN THE BAG at Andi's After the Final Rose to the point where he was sitting there, in the front row, with the camera on him overtime. Then Chris Harrison did the fake out saying "and who will be our next Bachelor?" cut to Chris sitting there, turning RED, where everyone was just waiting for him to be announced. And then ..... crickets. Chris Harrison says that their pick will be announced later. And then, suddenly, Chris is not the sure thing anymore and Arie's name is in the mix, big time. So then Chris Soules, who is literally just off the farm, and who now really wants the Bachelor gig, if for no other reason than to save face, is at the mercy of Fleiss and his reality tv wolves.

Who knows what they told Chris in the meantime, but they obviously dangled the gig in front of him and then pulled it away just as fast in favor of Arie. That had to mess with Chris' head, maybe made him feel second choice and could have dinged his confidence in a big way so that now he doesn't have the self-confidence to do anything but follow along with their script.  Hence, the girls sit there mad at him for an hour and he just knows the producers made him do it that way and he hasn't woken up yet to see how he's being led around on a leash and how bad they are making him look.

• Love 3

So Carly "won" the pig wrastlin' date and the singing date and got stiffed both times. She really should be refusing the rose at the next opportunity.

I just saw a young photo of Justin Bieber that looked exactly like Britt. All he needed was the long blonde extensions. Could that be a Bachelor surprise for us? It would explain the slim hips.

• Love 3
I call producer manipulation on the concert date.

I have to say that I've been genuinely surprised at how many folks are blaming Chris for the way the date-rose was given out.

Of course he was just following instructions.  Are we to believe he "went rogue", crashed a concert that just happened to be nearby, and then the band just happened to see him in the crowd and say "hey, there's our buddy from that reality show this afternoon", and the band just happened to have a rose on-stage and decided to call Chris and Britt up, all on their own?

However, this:

Chris looked sufficiently subdued when they returned that I'm sure he knows he's rubbing their face in it

I think Chris handled like shit.  He should've taken the lead and said something to the effect of "I loved all of your songs, I had a great time, I hate to have to choose . . . yadayada . . . but I've decided to give the rose to Britt."

I think the comparison/contrast with Juan Pablo is interesting because, the way Chris has handled things is, in my opinion, just a subtler version of "ehhh, ess okay".

• Love 1
Ari the racecar driver would probably be a good choice -- he seemed to have his act together in terms of socializing.

I agree, I wanted Arie for the Bachelor (I never am attracted to the contestants, but he did it for me...I have a thing for the bad boys but I digress as usual).

Also, even though he can be a douche, Chris ("grown ass man") Bukowski would have been a riot since he is such a player. I am not a "Right Reasons" viewer so I would rather have somebody who is clever and witty and keeps us entertained.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2
[Kelsey] let me down by being just as delusional and self-centered as anyone else on this show. [emphasis mine]

As Marge Gunderson would say, "I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou." I'd say, despite it being a fairly high bar, Kelsey has exceeded the delusions and self-centeredness of every previous Bachelor contestant.

Edited by TiaLou
  • Love 5

ITA that Sean is looking better and better after the JP and Chris seasons.

I agree.  At the time, I thought Sean was a big doofus, but compared to JP and Chris, he's like Cary Grant, George Clooney, and ... I don't know, some other heart throb, all rolled in to one.  No wonder his ratings were through the roof for his season!

I live in a conservative Christian area and a lot of women I knew were crazy for Sean. He didn't do anything for me, but I can see how he would appeal to that type and he was a score for the franchise because he actually went through with marriage and is their lapdog.

I'd say, despite it being a fairly high bar, Kelsey has exceeded the delusions and self-centeredness of every previous Bachelor contestant.

I'm convinced that Kelsey was 100% putting on a show.  So I don't think she was delusional about ending up as the F1.

If there's any delusion there, it's that she thinks she can parlay that performance into something else after this season airs.

• Love 1

I just saw a young photo of Justin Bieber that looked exactly like Britt. All he needed was the long blonde extensions. Could that be a Bachelor surprise for us? It would explain the slim hips.

Wow, you have something there Judy. TMZ reported that Beiber is working hard now to change his bad boy image. What better way than for him to "win" TB's heart and become America's Sweetheart once again? And slim hips: yes to that. Britt really is out-of-proportion.

Thinking about this has boggled my mind.

• Love 2