Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Anthropologists Move In

• Start Topic

From TheTVDB:

The Browns have agreed to do something they have never done before -- allow total strangers to move into their houses! Two anthropology students will live with the Browns for several days to get an unfiltered look at their polygamist lifestyle.

Cause inviting a camera crew into their homes and lives wasn't enough, apparently.

• Love 11

Is there any evidence that these are actual anthropology students or another set of plants by TLC. I would wager that they are plants if they come up with some sort of glowing endorsement of this sham. Any student with better than a high school education should be rolling their eyes at this "family" dynamic since they are clearly just neighbors sharing a sperm donor.

• Love 6

Love how they called Kody a showboat!

WT almighty F are they going on about monogamy vs polygamy and traditional marriage? How does Bobbyn not understand that her kids have already seen "that way of life"as she was only technically a side piece cus was not legally married to the ass?

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 9

Quick thoughts:

How did security arrive at the car before Kody? He is such a useless father.

It looked like Gabriel was about to smile when Kody started his interrogation.

I laughed when he asked Garrison what he always says about the family and Garrison just shrugged like he didn't know.

Kody is such a tool.  I don't think his boys respect him at all, especially when he is "disciplining" them.

Not sure I can handle an entire episode devoted to Robyn. Ugh.

• Love 10

Deflection detection!!! Commercial for next week shows that Meri went to a lawyer. The KoDouche Brown family and TLC are circling the wagons to take the heat off Robyn.

Holy shit! Did I just hear KoDouche tell someone else to "man up and take some responsibility"? I would usually have a good zinger here, but that one just leaves me speechless.

Edited by MarkySnark
  • Love 5

Oh my gosh, I love Dayton. His "what are we, monkeys?" was hilarious! 

Why was Robyn putting the word atheist in air quotes. Sigh, no words.  Although, I hope everything will be okay with her father. 

And there are just no words for the amount of irony in Robyn's spiel about those students' choice of living together with whomever and being committed to each other but "no legal marriage being involved".  

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 20

The grad students seemed to pretty quickly see that the kids need attention from adults.

That business between the 2 boys - I wonder if they (the boys) cooked that up to embarrass their parents? I think it's obvious that Janelle has no idea how to discipline her children, and Kody is of course just a blustering clown.

• Love 2

Oh my gosh, I love Dayton. His "what are we, monkeys?" was hilarious! 

I loved Dayton's line too!

Kody is the worst. That being said I can't imagine a man with four wives who doesn't like to be the center of attention. 

I continue to think Madison is great. If I were the family, I would worry about Madison fading out of their lives, but not for religious feelings. For example, I can see her getting married and feeling a sense of peace while being with her in-laws. 

• Love 2

Yeah, loved that line from Dayton. Also liked that the older kids were so supportive of Madison joining the LDS church.

To their credit, the adults ultimately were too - much quicker than most parents whose college freshman want to convert to another religion. They've always seemed pretty ok with the kids participating in LDS or Christian youth groups. As messed up as their dynamics are, I think they're just such better parents than the Duggars - their oldest kids (all of them, really, but the oldest are the farest "body of work" to judge based upon) all seem confident, independent, and not at all afraid of their parents (a bit too much the opposite in terms of Kody) while still being respectful.

• Love 3

So what amazing pearls did the research team come up with?  I wager nothing that this forum has not already identified.  (I confess I cannot watch any longer. My eyeballs were spinning so badly that I was looking out the back of my head.)

So they invite these people into their homes... WHILE filming.... AND plan all these family events.  How in the world are these two people suppose to observe their normal lifestyle? 

And probably $300+ at the movie theater?  Yikes..... I hardly go anymore because I think $10 for a movie is ridiculous lol 

And unless you're sharing food you don't need to sit together in one large group..... you won't be talking during the movie anyways. 

• Love 1

I fell asleep before the end...did the students ever determine who was the love wife and who was the sex wife? Because their advisor seemed very interested in that based on the previews, LOL.

The female student kept looking at the male one while she was talking as if looking for his approval. That annoyed me. Also, if you look at her Twitter or LinkedIn she bills herself as a sexologist that is "kink positive" among other things. <eyeroll>.

Lastly, in my opinion of course, Maddie is leaving one cult to join another. I mean she even said they told her to disassociate with her family!

• Love 8

Did I hear Logan say he is "not religious"? It was when they were talking about Madison's conversion. All the older kids are backing away from the trainwreck.

He did say that. I wonder if Robyn does her air quotes when she says he's "not religious"?

I thought Meri was about the have a meltdown in the movies over seating. "but I can't watch Mariah watch the moooovie!" She controlled herself.

I think they blew the boys fight waaaaaaay out of proportion. They are teens. One slapped the other. You don't take away an entire trip over it. You punish them yes, but they were acting like one pulled a knife out.

Speaking of, Garrisons trip is to Hawaii. I wonder if the honeymoon coincided with it. Like "Let's take my son with my other wife on his trip, leave his mom at home, and have a second honeymoon!" Hopefully they were at separate times.

• Love 8

I thought the punishment over the fight was ridiculous too.  I always though brother's faught like that? 

I fell asleep before the end...did the students ever determine who was the love wife and who was the sex wife? Because their advisor seemed very interested in that based on the previews, LOL.

We haven't seen the end of them yet!  They will be on again next week I think - as shown in the previews.

Didn't Garrison and Gaberial (sp) say this wasn't the first time they'very gotten in a fight. That they hit each other and move on? I'm not saying they shouldn't have been talked too but geez their brothers, brothers get in fights.

And when Kody said that he does all the heavy lifting when it came to punishing something like that.. Hahaha... I'm sorry that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. I didn't know this show could be so funny. I might tune in next week for the Brown comedy hour. I need a good laugh every once in awhile.

• Love 10

I've noticed that anytime Jody is sitting down he has a child on his lap. It's usually a girl (not sure if they're Robyn's). I wonder if that's their way of getting attention from him. He never seems to acknowledge them but I guess they're at least getting some attention. I think Meri was a hands on mom with Mariah obviously so she didn't suffer from lack of Kody attention, I think Janelle and Christine are also heavily involved with their kids as are the older siblings. It makes me wonder about Robyn's kids. She seems more invested in Kody and his needs and the older siblings are quickly leaving the nest. I wonder if hers will grow up differently and act out for attention in not so good ways.

• Love 4

I think they blew the boys fight waaaaaaay out of proportion. They are teens. One slapped the other. You don't take away an entire trip over it.

Yeah, I thought the way they handled it was really over the top. Janelle said she was embarrassed that the "anthropologists" had to see the family at their worst like that, but they could have avoided some embarrassment by calming down out there in the parking lot. I thought if they had told the boys sternly to stop and that they would discuss the incident at home, that would have spared them the scene they caused. Did I hear Kody say "I'm going to end you" or something along those lines? Yikes. 

The kids as always, are so interesting and I also respect how the parents give them to freedom to know themselves and make up their own minds as adults. I'm happy Maddie found a religious community she feels right in, but I actually expected that she would shy away from organized religion. She always struck me as quite a free spirit and outspoken person, so I felt like she would be more on the same page as Logan (not to say free spirits can't be religious, but Maddie in particular didn't seem like someone who would desire a new faith). Janelle and Kody both used to be LDS, and with their attitude on raising the kids, I am not surprised they supported her decision. 

I am no Brown family apologist, but I think Kody and Janelle said that were "considering" not sending Garrison to Hawaii.  I think they were so angry in the moment, and IIRC, I think Jenelle's re-telling of the fight has Garrison using his fist to punch his brother.  They hadn't seen Gabriel slap Garrison.  That was revealed later.  Add in the fact that the security guard was there, and that probably added to that stress level.  I probably would have used the threat of the loss of the Hawaii trip as an incentive to keep Garrison in line.  I didn't see what the big deal was about the threat of them considering not allowing the trip.

Oh! And the guy student is archeologist, not a cultural anthropologist. Total production plants.

Just as I thought.  That's like having a geologist do a study on bacteria. How freaking stupid do they think we are?

• Love 1

I really enjoyed watching the anthropology students come in even though I think it was completely set up by TLC. It would be kind of strange to choose to collect data during a weekend when there are film crews. You have 2 circumstances simultaneously making them behave differently than they would behave normally. Anyways it was interesting hearing the discussions throughout the episode, like calling Kody a showboat haha. 

Anthropology does believe in fluidity in human sexuality/relationships so I wasn't expecting any  "this is wrong, monogamy is right" from them. 

I was nearly bursting in laughter during Robyn's whole speech on marriage, so much drama and self righteousness. Robyn needs some therapy, she seems to blame herself so much for her previous marriage that she is trying to overcompensate now by trying to be the holy-est of them all. I don't think she ever emotionally matured from her divorce, she kind of threw herself into polygamy. 

I love Maddy but I was really surprised by her decision to join the FLDS church, and I kind of agree with the parents, I think she may be doing it because she felt the need to fit in because all of her peers are in that group. Janelle's kids seem to see through polygamy more than any of the other mothers' kids in my opinion. I have a feeling there will be some tell all books coming out in the next 10 years. 

Edited by bumblebee
  • Love 2

I really liked this episode. It was neat (tm Michelle Duggar) seeing the Browns from an anthropologist's point of view. It was hysterical how quickly they had them pegged. Right off the bat - Kody is a showboat who likes to be the center of attention. Bingo! It was just so hysterical how Robyn (or someone else?) was wringing her hands about how they were giving these students "lots of power" and letting them in closer than anyone ever before. Ummmm, hello! You're on TV! 

I  did think we got to see more of the inner workings of this family than previously. Not much, but more. I would honestly be interested in how they manage all the kids, make parenting decisions together, and - for once - the goshdarn schedule! Countless trips and parties is boring, but they clearly think the opposite. 

The Smores stunt was interesting. I think that wives have a hard time establishing bonds as their own women, but they have a much easier time bonding over razzing Kody or making demands of him. 

Robyn continues to be my least favorite. She just seems so "concerned" and whiny all the time here lately. I didn't understand why her kids couldn't hear people talk about other lifestyles (living together outside of marriage, never having kids, etc.). Is she crazy? They live in Vegas and her kids go to public school. Does she think they don't have any friends with parents who aren't married? How long does she plan to shelter them from reality? I just never understand the concept of shielding kids from world views other than your own. I'm a Christian and I'm raising my kids Christian. But I'm not afraid to tell them that there are people who believe in a different God/s or no god at all. I'm not afraid to have those conversations. If they choose differently than I, there will still be the same old love and respect there. 

And that's why Jenelle continues to be my favorite. She is very chill and relaxed about the choices her children make. Even Kody, I have to say, I appreciate he doesn't force the older kids to attend church if they don't want to. These people are fairly progressive, as the anthropologists noted, considering their background. Although, I wasn't a huge fan of the conversation with Maddie. She's an adult now - attending college and living on her own. I didn't really think it was necessarily any of their business why she chose the church she did. It would be one thing if Kody or Jenelle came to her solo and said, "Hey, I'm curious as to how you made this decision, if you feel like talking about it with me,  I'm here". But what they did felt more like an interrogation. A cutesy, smiley one, but still. I didn't really think she owed them an explanation. But I liked the one she gave. 

• Love 4

I like that Robyn has been living with KoDouche for years and had a child out of legal wedlock with him, and yet, doesn't want her kids to hear that the "anthropologists" are living with someone without being legally married. Ummmmmmm… Don't her kids see her doing that every day? Well, not now, of course, since is Queen Bee, but that doesn't mean they didn't see it for those previous years. Like she said in a previous episode, Robyn doesn't give a shit.

• Love 5

I grew up with three brothers, that kind of stuff like the fight happened allll the time.  Should it have happened?  Definitely not.  But the reaction was ridiculous in my opinion....and I feel like the security guard got slipped a 20 by the filming crew to go over there to add 'drama' to the situation.  And Kody being all "I'll handle this, I'm the dad" made me laugh.  As if those kids listen to two words you say dude. 

And now they're going to drag out this divorce shit for weeks?!  (according to Kody's twtiter). Thank god my favourite wine is on sale at the liquor store, I'd better stock up to get through this nonsense.

• Love 4
Oh my gosh, I love Dayton. His "what are we, monkeys?" was hilarious!.

I also loved when he said that to an outsider, watching them all attend the movies must be a bit of comic relief. I'd say, "More Dayton, please!", but I know he's not a fan of being on camera too much. 

I think they blew the boys fight waaaaaaay out of proportion. They are teens. One slapped the other. You don't take away an entire trip over it. You punish them yes, but they were acting like one pulled a knife out.

I loved your entire post, you're hilarious - but I really agreed with this part. I thought it was quite an overreaction as well. I wondered if Kody doesn't generally just ignore their fighting, and only NOW was making a big deal because of the cameras and students. Hence why the boys looked like they were going to laugh when he was scolding them. They were all, "What is this shit?"

Did I hear Kody say "I'm going to end you" or something along those lines? Yikes.

I didn't catch that one, but I did hear him telling the security guy that he would probably have to keep KODY back, before he beat both boys' asses. Something to that effect. Yea, that's a wise thing to say. 

• Love 3

I love Maddy but I was really surprised by her decision to join the FLDS church, and I kind of agree with the parents, I think she may be doing it because she felt the need to fit in because all of her peers are in that group. Janelle's kids seem to see through polygamy more than any of the other mothers' kids in my opinion. I have a feeling there will be some tell all books coming out in the next 10 years. 

LDS, not FLDS.  She's joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (or the Mormons).  They call themselves LDS, not Mormon.

• Love 2

The female student kept looking at the male one while she was talking as if looking for his approval. That annoyed me. Also, if you look at her Twitter or LinkedIn she bills herself as a sexologist that is "kink positive" among other things. <eyeroll>.

Lastly, in my opinion of course, Maddie is leaving one cult to join another. I mean she even said they told her to disassociate with her family!

If those two so called students had any inkling of what they were doing, they would of been silent and just observing.   They will probably be on some new show called "Sex with Kody Made me a Hoarder or  The Little Couple Marries the Browns.

I agree with you about the cult.     Utah for being so wholesome and Mormon is one of the top states for prescription drug addicts.  No coffee, but get me my Oxycontin.

• Love 10

I loved your entire post, you're hilarious - but I really agreed with this part. I thought it was quite an overreaction as well. I wondered if Kody doesn't generally just ignore their fighting, and only NOW was making a big deal because of the cameras and students. Hence why the boys looked like they were going to laugh when he was scolding them. They were all, "What is this shit?"

Oh, this is true.  My personal reaction would have been that I am okay using the "no Hawaii for Garrison" threat, but I forget to take into account that Kody's usual non-participation in disciplining his children would have definitely caused this kind of reaction from Gabriel and Garrison.  I don't understand how a man can have this many children, but choose to remove himself from the the discipline aspect of raising them, leaving this to the wives.  That's a huge responsibility to step away from. 

• Love 2

Oh, this is true.  My personal reaction would have been that I am okay using the "no Hawaii for Garrison" threat, but I forget to take into account that Kody's usual non-participation in disciplining his children would have definitely caused this kind of reaction from Gabriel and Garrison.  I don't understand how a man can have this many children, but choose to remove himself from the the discipline aspect of raising them, leaving this to the wives.  That's a huge responsibility to step away from. 

Even when he's "present" he's not really there from what I've seen. He's napping or on his computer etc.. I forget which wife had to actually tell him to DO something when some of the kids weren't behaving. He was right there, but didn't see the need. ugh

• Love 3
Even when he's "present" he's not really there from what I've seen. He's napping or on his computer etc.. I forget which wife had to actually tell him to DO something when some of the kids weren't behaving. He was right there, but didn't see the need. ugh

It was Jenelle. And it was the same situation - the boys fighting. Although, it may have been one of hers and Christine's son, if I'm not mistaken. Because I think he was wanting to just send the kid back to Christine, and not really deal with it himself. 

His excuse last night was that since he's not around much, he doesn't want the kids to see him only as a disciplinarian. But that just smacks of laziness to me, and totally discounts all that the moms have to go through on their own. It's not like they're living as one big family and the other moms help each other out. 

• Love 3

I laughed out loud when Kody said he did the "course correcting" in the family. He course corrects, and the wives try to steer the family back onto a more stable road. His macho bluster is such BS. Having had a father who was the real deal (a hard ass), it's like watching a toddler puff up his chest in comparison.

I found it interesting that they didn't bring up something that would be near to a parent's heart about Maddie joining the LDS church. I have friends who left the church, but their children stayed in. When the older son married, they were not allowed to go to the wedding in the temple (as they were no longer temple approved). That would kill me, as a parent.

As for Robyn's emphasis on "legal standing" in regards to living together, I did a hard eye roll. Of course, now she has that legal standing. I wonder when the talking heads were filmed?

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 2

She was to disassociate with her family's religion (i.e., not attend family church services), not disassociate with her family members.

Utah for being so wholesome and Mormon is one of the top states for prescription drug addicts.  No coffee, but get me my Oxycontin.

SRSLY.  I visited a research clinic out there that pharma companies use to recruit recreational drug users for studies on new narcotics (basically seeing if the casual drug user "likes" the new formulation less, which would lead to less abuse of the product).  Lots and lots of kids using Oxy more than 6 times in 14 days...but none of them needed to be on birth control, because they were all abstinent!

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1

I was only half-watching, so I heard "anthropology"in the background, and said to myself "OMG, now Robyn thinks she's going to start selling her crappy stuff at Anthropologie (the store)?" LOL

Then I flicked to the Grammys and came back to all 600 of them traipsing into a movie theater, and Kody can't count heads at all, and then all of them load up on buttered popcorn, candy, and soda, and waddle their pre-diabetic asses to their seats. Gag. Back to Grammys.

Next. Now they're conniving up some middle school plot to feed Kody while giggling incessantly, and throwing off the students' data. Cute.

Back to more carb consumption......some kind of backyard s'mores festival. Boring.

Did I miss Meri wiping her eye goo and then analyzing it, Janelle storming off, Christine planning a party, and Robyn quiver-lipping about some injustice?

Was there ever a conclusion on what the students thought ???? Geez.

• Love 2
I would never tell my kid he could not go to Hawaii because he fought with a sibling. Now, if he stabbed him or threw him off a cliff that's another thing

Yes, so much to this. I have six brothers, and every once in awhile while in their teens, two would go ape-shit and attempt to beat each other up. Usually, it ended up with one chasing the other around the house all set to pound. My parents would make them stand nose to nose until one laughed- it was such a non big deal. Kody was embarassed that his perfect little family acted like normal teens act in front of 2 grad students.  Oh, and Shithead, who goes to the movies, gets ready to pay without knowing how many people are in the group? I cannot stand Kody- and he and Robyn deserve each other. What the hell Robyn, you are, well were living with a man legally married to another, and you critcize people co-habitating? Maddie was more eloquent in her explanation of wanting to join the LDS church was Kody has ever been. Logan and Hunter- the buff brothers!

• Love 5

If these were real students they would just observe and not bring their own experiences and bias into the project. And no family could really be themselves if they were being observed all day.

Kody comes across as a calm surfer dude, but he goes from 0 to 90 when he gets mad. He doesn't like to be challenged or embarrassed. I didn't think the fight between the brothers would actually cause security to step in, didn't it happen inside the car? How would the security guy even see it?

• Love 3